Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Barry Mulvihill, Asta), 41 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#969311 Thu 25/04/19 18:34 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
I thought I'd post this now.

Watched it this morning. Was OK. Characters' stories were closed out satisfactorily, but really, was there ever going to be a satisfying end to this story, where time and reality itself can be altered in-continuity, and so much is pre-determined by real world obligations and scheduling? The film-makers did remarkably well, I think, not to completely screw it up.

But of course characters with sequels in the works (and in some cases trailers playing before the film) are brought back to life. And of course, characters whose actors are out of contract are moved on.

To me it didn't feel like any of it happened because it served the story, more that the story was serving the logistic requirements of the franchise.

So it was OK imo, good even, given the challenge. But not amazing. It was very touching in places, absolutely, but entirely predictable, and the action was still the same chaotic CGI mess that most superhero films have devolved into.

Administrator
Administrator
Speaking of "no spoilers", the Russo Brothers posted this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwkOxfYlnzx/

that's my only observation concerning this film. Of those 16,000,605 possibilities there was only 1 successful one. And one of the last things he says to Tony Stark is "this is the only way".

It's like saying Endgame is already a done deal!

Then again, two of my favorite stories in the whole world start with "... we all know this is what happens ..." and it's the getting there that is what is fun and exciting smile

Last edited by Wolf; Fri 26/04/19 15:10 UTC.
Confusingly Confused
Confusingly Confused
Do a Google search for Thanos.

Then click on the infinity gauntlet on the right-hand side.

You're welcome.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Saw the movie last night.Like it quite a lot. Neil's comments are valid, although I think I liked it more than it sounds like he did.

One thing I can say, they probably could have started the movie 1 hour in and not lost anything of the story and kept it to 2-2.5 hours of run time......

Oh, and there are comment on the web now about the best times to go to the restroom during the movie and not miss anything. All of them are in the first hour. It is mentioned on the web that in Israel and Italy they have an intermission. Not in the US.

Oh, very cool Gryphon!

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 28/04/19 16:51 UTC.
M
M
The best part of watching on NetFlix ... I can pause to get a 'refill' or 'potty break' <chuckle>

MikeD
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Yeah, I don't bother to go to the theater much anymore. For the cost of us going there, I can buy it when it comes out shortly.

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Yeah, I don't bother to go to the theater much anymore. For the cost of us going there, I can buy it when it comes out shortly.

Ken... it's like I don't even know who you are smile I admit it. I am a die-hard go to the theater person. I love kicking back at one of the late late shows (little chance of small ones there), some Angry Orchard and some popcorn, and just enjoying seeing things on the big screen. Either the brand new blockbusters, or the classics (which are shown Sundays and Wednesdays... check Flashback Cinema or Flashbackcinema.net for more information <shameless plug>). For instance. SOUND OF MUSIC on the big screen soon! I am so geeking out about this!

And I saw the Avengers. Okay, not worth the hype in my opinion and some HUGE plot holes in it. But, all in all, it was great seeing it on the big screen. The battles, the epic moments... seeing it on the little screen of a tv just would not convey the scope.

So. Big theater fan.

Jinkies!
M
M
That is just 'cuz you are still 'young' Mina. Wait till you get older <wink>

MikeD
Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Lol, Mike, I am already at the stage of either go early when the tykes are in school, or go to the last showing when they are usually in bed. I like kids, but not at movies, they tend to run around too much.

Jinkies!
M
M
I hate the 'not kids' ... who should know better ... who are sitting a row or two behind me and talking through the whole movie <sigh> I cannot remember a single movie where that didn't 'bug' me :-/

MikeD
Ooze-based life form
Ooze-based life form
After Brie Larsons ongoing SJW nonsense pre- release I refused point blank to see Captain Marvel so it will be interesting to see how this final film pans out having not seen the previous one.

From what I have been told Captain Marvel contributes to but is not essential viewing for Endgame so off to the cinema i'll go smile

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
SJW?

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Social Justice Warrior. Reputedly the flick had lots of "man bashing".

I saw Captain Marvel, and read all that hype, but I really didn't notice any of it in the flick. I am sure it was there, if you were looking for it, but to me it was all blown out of proportion.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
I thought Captain Marvel was OK. Samuel L. is great. I didn't notice anything political about it, the main thing that bothered me was the murkiness of the picture in many places, and the explanation of how Danvers got such cosmic level powers.

The prototype aircraft engine that exploded next to her, that she absorbed, was charged by the Space Stone. Shouldn't that mean she just absorbed the charge stored in the engine? The Space Stone isn't even on board. Why does this make her so much more powerful than Scarlet Witch or Vision, who're also charged by an Infinity (the Mind) Stone? The logic is never made clear and remains for me, a point of confusion.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
The default DM argument I have used forever, whenever some part of the story/powers didn't make sense.

It's fantasy. It is not supposed to make sense.

As long as it is entertaining I'm ok with intrinsic inconsistencies. <g>

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
I prefer to say that anything is possible, but should always make sense. grin

M
M
Zeim, I don't mind if a story has 'fantasy elements'. I hate when they are 'inconsistent' with their 'fiction'. I have a list of things that frustrated me enough to get me to 'document' them <g>

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Yeah, I find there is enough in my life to frustrate me and upset me. I go to the movies for escape and entertainment and inconsistency in a film rarely ruins that for me.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
AJ
AJ
Hertfordshire, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,789
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy