Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 51 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 47 of 58 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 57 58
Wolf #876238 Sun 26/03/17 21:14 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
You are all driving me insane.

They are Forest Kin. They are not forestkin.

Why are they not forestkin (aside from the fact it's a proper noun that should be capitalized (but the Word Nerd isn't even talking about that at the moment)?).

Look at the word: forestkin

Every bloody time I read that, I don't see the 't' in the middle of the word.

Look at the word again: forestkin

Look at it without the 't' in the middle. Keep looking at it. No... keep looking at it!

You'll spell it correctly henceforth, I suspect, lest we all start thinking about various bits of anatomy we need not be thinking about while writing for The Heartwood.

My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you, and I thank you. Also, the Forest Kin thank you. (And, if we're being honest, none of my relatives thank you because two of them are dancing with Krysta and the other one is touched by Chaos. But the Forest Kin and I do thank you.)

Memento tuorum verborum,
Super OCD Woman

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wolf #876239 Sun 26/03/17 21:58 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually Kel's right and in truth I did the same OMG what double take too.

Now the truth of the matter:

The people are The Forest Folk ... as in "They are the Forest Folk."

When you refer to an individual in individual terms, you sometimes use the term Forest Kin, as in "Miss Mouse is a Mouse and Mice are one type of the many Forest Kin" or "He is my Forest Kin" (which presumes the speaker is one too).

Me ... I chalked it up to cultural clumsiness ... like not knowing the difference between "sayonara" (I may never see you again) and "mate ne" (see you later) smile

Wolf #876241 Sun 26/03/17 22:48 UTC
If we break the word down into its base components and study the etymology from there... then compare that with the entomology of the post praxial subjective conjugation offering a bias for the aesthetics of using words that start with an 'a' then and 'e' I think you will realize what it was we were trying to achieve when we used the colloguial archaic 'forestkin'.

Fores, of the wilderness, in the neo classical bavarian, serves as our adjectival root. Mind you I realize I should have used an Umlaut, but I can't figure out how make one on my keyboard. i know, right? philistines!

anyway... that leaves us with the base root noun 'tkin', only loosely translated as 'folk'. In truth, this should be 'stkin' (as in Fores` Stkin')but in 14th century the Great Bavarian Language Reformation Movement (GBLRM to those of us in the Bavarian Language Reformation fan club) concluded that it is acceptable though not entirely appropriate to create the conjunction 'fores`tkin' as a nod to the peasant scholars of the day. They based this decision on the High German consonant shift of 535AD as evidenced in the scattered Elder Futhark inscriptions.

Now, please forgive us this lack of couth and linguistic etiquette though because where we have truly slipped is in the dismissal of the glottal stop. It is a horrific oversight on our part and a travesty to language masters for whom we are ever so grateful for the language we speak today. In fact without them we might not have the 'elipsis' to overuse and abuse in the daily discourse of our writing. .... ummm... yeah... anyway...

Thusly, wheretofor and henceforth we whereupon took Fores'Stkin and made it Fores'tkin (as allowed by the GBLRM) and created the abomination of language known at Forestkin through sheer laziness and a complete disregard for all the elder family members touched by Chaos that haunt our own genetics and make our very ability to communicate coherently an abject nightmare of abrahamic hellish proportions.

so accept my apology on behalf of the other members of the Great Bavarian Language Reformation Movement's Fan Club (that's GBLRMFC to you and me) and please know that we will take up this clearly contentious issue at our next meeting in 2269. We meet every 500 years, well, actually the club meets every 500 years, and none of us were at the last meeting, and probably won't be at this upcoming one either, but we are excited, all the same, by the current fundraising projections. (we are pretty excited that I managed to use 7 commas in the previous sentence too)

With this important issue on the agenda I think it is safe to say we will be able to call for an actual 'Congress of Bavarian Language Speakers (that's CoBLS to you and me). There hasn't been a CoBLS (or 'cobbles' to you and me and said in mirth and jest only since language faux pas are very serious things indeed) since the very first meeting in 1369. Actually there have only been 3 meetings total (remember we only meet every 500 years) and I must admit, keeping up with the dues has been a real chore. Plus there's the whole hereditary legacy membership issue that normally bogs down our centennial regional conferences that usually ties up the majority of our legislative agenda subcommittee meetings.

Anyway, as I was saying, this issue just might serve as a unifying factor in allowing us to call for the Congress of Bavarian Language Speakers (that's CoBLS... sorry, you know this already) and for that I am eternally grateful (well not eternally, because if I was eternally grateful then I would be able to attend the next meeting Great Bavarian Language Reformation Movement's Fan Club and be able to participate in the historic vote for the establishment of a Congress of Bavarian Language Speakers (that's CoBLS to yo... whatever)

I'm giddy with the excitement that comes with the consideration of such a possibility, that, well... isn't actually a possibility, but rather just a fanciful notion born of an overactive imagination, and a little too much free time on a Sunday afternoon. (4 commas and an elipsis- not a record but I am pleased with it)

I hope you enjoyed reading the response as much I as I did in writing it (well, typing it anyway. You have to be touched by Chaos to actually write things anymore. Right? Write? See what I did there?)

Ah, so much fun with the English Language. Now that's a whole different fan club right there and they don't actually have meetings to discuss linguistic changes... Instead they just wander down dark alleys and assault other languages and steal their vocabulary and sentence structures. But they are a hoot whenever the conventions for other langauages are in Las Vegas, that's for sure!

Wolf #876245 Mon 27/03/17 00:18 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
... crushed under a wall of text!

*laughs*

Wolf #876246 Mon 27/03/17 00:28 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
<starts to read Wolf’s post>

<immediately distracted by Phoenix>

And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Given the nature and origins of the Heartwood languages, let’s assume we’re speaking about the melding of Forestalk (whose root is higher in the language tree than Bavarian, although it may have had a parallel evolution) and Colonial to arrive at “Forest.” The root of the Forestalk word, forst (no umlaut) is modified somewhat by the High Imperial foris, to give the meaning of the word “Forest” something slightly different than what most might expect: “a bound wooded area” (as opposed to simply “a wooded area”). Now, after the Great Curse at the end of the Second Age (somewhat prior to the influence of the Colonial language), we can see that the “wooded area” did, indeed, become bound by the Curse.

(There are those who argue that the Forest — as it is observed today — is bound more by the efforts of humans cutting back the trees than by the Curse itself, but that is a matter more appropriately discussed at the Science Societies.)

Despite being a primary language of the Second Age, Forestalk is, as you know, a language not in favor among the Ruling Elite. With the introduction of Colonial (or more accurately, Colonial Imperial and, thus, a hybridized form of Imperial) in the Third Age, those who still speak Forestalk will generally elide any glottal stops. Given that there never was a written form of Forestalk, we can also see why an umlaut would be unnecessary.

Now, as the man mumbling in the corner pointed out, “Folk” is likely a more accurate terminology for any group of people, being a holdover of the Forestalk folc (people). The “Kin” appellation appears to be derived from the High Imperial cynn, which had a more restrictive meaning of “family” as well as a broader implication of “race.” However, some scholars believe it evolved from the either the Forestalk kint (child) or ken (a diminutive suffix denoting affection).

In either case, “Folk” would likely be the standard word used by those outside a group of individuals, whereas “Kin” would be reserved for relatives and close friends.

I look forward to seeing you at the Language Society’s next meeting. It is scheduled for Midwinter 2630 (six years hence) and will be hosted by Khorall Tieg Larsen and Hastur Brother Llewellyn at the First Cathedral. May Sir Kevin have time to fix the roof!

[And in case you’re interested, on a Windows computer, hold down the ALT key and type 148 on the number pad: ö

For obvious reasons, I have the codes for all the acute accented vowels memorized, however, I still need to continually look up the multiple accented vowels of Diné Bizaad when I’m not at home (where they are conveniently programmed as universal macros).

The Unicode Character Table might make you as giddy as it makes me.]

And Man in the Corner? That’s not a language you should be speaking here. Remember... I know the Heartwood Languages, too. So hush.

Wolf #876250 Mon 27/03/17 01:44 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

well .. i admit ... i have been distracted by experiments in domestic chemistry

Wolf #876252 Mon 27/03/17 03:15 UTC
I really hope that means you are brewing your own beer... and not, say, running a meth lab in your basement.

umm... be safe? oh, and wear goggles too.

Wolf #876256 Mon 27/03/17 04:04 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Well, if it's beer, that's a new hobby and the basement wouldn't be a good place for it. Not that basement anyway.

However, in Wolfspeak, "domestic chemistry" means "cooking." Far less interesting, I fear, than either a brewery or a meth lab. (By the way, you might consider putting one of those in the basement. Don't tell Kevin about it, though. It might void the insurance.

Wolf #876268 Mon 27/03/17 11:11 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

Oatmeal muffins from scratch! Success! Mmmmmmmm!

Wolf #876901 Thu 06/04/17 03:37 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi folks!

I've looked at the posts that went up while I was away. Concerning the approach to the Rescue, it currently comes in multiple flavors, some building on each other and some offering different points of view. This should be a good discussion for the entire party.

So this is your chance to have that discussion - either that or let me know otherwise, and then (You guys come first) I'll post the Native Character's response to the plan and the discussion as they see it.

Thanks!

Wolf #877172 Sun 09/04/17 15:49 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
... today's post will be late. I had a significant post written and after reflection I've decided to tear it apart and put it back together again in a very different structure.

The posts will move the party forward, into the breach, per se.

Wolf #877213 Mon 10/04/17 01:23 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Puts this up so I don't forget!

In the posts to follow the terms "Mill Tower", "Gate Tower", "Sluice gate Towers" and "Windmills" all refer to the same thing - one of the double tower structures with the sluice gates between them.

There are three different tower sets being used by three different groups.

All group assignments and destinations were set not by my choice but by my best interpretation of everyone's desires based on their posts.

Wolf #877222 Mon 10/04/17 02:42 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
If someone is brave enough to dare The Lockpick's concoction, first come, first serve. There is only one.

The only warning I shall give is remember who made it.

Wolf #877232 Mon 10/04/17 13:11 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Nice write ups Wolf smile

Wolf #877555 Thu 13/04/17 13:46 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Folks! I'm still missing a post from Kadri and am currently working through some issues with Kelly.

While there will not be a midweek post, I am planning on moving things forward come the weekend.

If you haven't spoken up, things will then play out as they play out. remember, HWD runs not only on player actions ... but also their inaction.

Wolf #877557 Thu 13/04/17 14:09 UTC
Kelly has issues???? Say it isn't so! grin

Wolf #877559 Thu 13/04/17 14:17 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
<glares at Nivek>

I can find you, you know. This time, I'll bring Pam.

Kel #877561 Thu 13/04/17 14:44 UTC
I'm starting to think this "Pam" person is just another figment of your fertile imagination.

Wolf #877565 Thu 13/04/17 16:11 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Phoenix has met her, too, so you might want to revise your thinking there, bub.

<Also makes notes for Chris' "adventure" in WY... Cattle? Check. Abundant snow? Check. Ninja and Mother Earth versus Chris? Bwahahaha. Check. Peacekeeper and Father Sky versus Chris? Check. weg>

<Goes off to ask "Pam" for more ideas...>

Kel #877566 Thu 13/04/17 16:28 UTC
Bring it on cupcake! Chris can handle all of it weg

Wolf #877567 Thu 13/04/17 16:33 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Says the guy who doesn't even know what his powers are and whose superhero name is Slip-n-Slide. Right. This is going to be interesting.

Kel #877568 Thu 13/04/17 16:41 UTC
What can I say, he has Bekkah's "Nobody would hurt me" attitude. grin

Wolf #877569 Thu 13/04/17 16:46 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
The Pentad will be sure to knock that attitude out of him. If necessary, when he gets back to Chicago, Emerald Shark will dump him in Monroe Harbor. Fully clothed. In January. You know, just to convince him that there really are bad people in the City who want to hurt him. Cuz, you know, if an ally will do that, just imagine what an enemy will do.

And then, to top it all off, Miranda will start matchmaking again. angel

Wolf #877856 Sun 16/04/17 14:11 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

Note: I did the best as I could with the combat resolution, it fell out based on my best interpretation of the posted actions. where there was one contradiction, that was dealt with in private and represents the most descriptive intent.

Wolf #878349 Sun 23/04/17 02:17 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
folks! to be honest ... this weekend packing comes first ... it may mean a late or postponed HWD post depending on how thing fall out tomorrow! Thank you all for your patience and unnerstandin'

Page 47 of 58 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 57 58

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Zeim
Zeim
Nashville, TN, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,844
Posts140,978
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy