Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phoenix Prime, Argus), 58 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#868638 Wed 14/12/16 18:17 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
I just stumbled across something ...

One of my favorite stories may be coming to the small screen:

Roadside Picnic
by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky. It's supposedly being done by WGN - anyone know anything?

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 14/12/16 18:17 UTC.
Wolf #868639 Wed 14/12/16 20:10 UTC
M
M
According to IMDB ... my go to place for movies and TV shows <g> ... it looks to be a series. Check the link below.

IMDB

MikeD
Wolf #868642 Wed 14/12/16 21:18 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
I saw that! It's supposed to be a 2016 series ... and we are quickly running out out of 2016!

For a while I was thinking a Roadside Picnic/Stalker/S.T.A.L.K.E.R game would be really neat ... until I realized it would necessarily have a higher player death rate than ARAOK.

Without folks getting a second chance!

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 14/12/16 21:21 UTC.
Wolf #868644 Wed 14/12/16 21:45 UTC
M
M
Actually ... it might make for a fun game. There is something to be said for not having to 'fight tooth and nail' to keep a character, but let him or her go out in a blaze of glory <g>

And you could have the players 'rotate' new characters in when the current one dies ... and even rotate new players in (if it lasts long enough) <g>

MikeD
Wolf #868645 Wed 14/12/16 22:01 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Something to consider for a high PC death kind of a game. This is a game idea I thought about quite a bit. Have each person create multiple personas for the playscape. Like one might create a back story for the Mayor and the Sheriff. That way when one, the first one they choose to play, gets axed, they have another. Or introduce people regularly. That way loosing a character isn't quite as painful because you can keep playing albeit in a different role.

I don't know the show/art references. But I once had a campaign idea of a series of one shots, or closely related one shots, so that the horror, high death, type stories could be told.

Wolf #868731 Fri 16/12/16 05:01 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Pilman: Imagine a picnic. Picture a forest, a country road, a meadow. A car drives off the country road into the meadow, a group of young people get out of the car carrying bottles, baskets of food, transistor radios, and cameras. They light fires, pitch tents, turn on the music. In the morning they leave. The animals, birds and insects that watched in horror through the long night creep out from their hiding places. And what do they see? Gas and oil spilled on the grass. Old spark plugs and old filters strewn around. Rags, burn out bulbs, and a monkey wrench left behind. Oil slicks on the pond. And of course, the usual mess — apple cores, candy wrappers, charred remains of the campfire cans, bottles, somebody's handkerchief, somebody's penknife, torn newspapers, comic, faded flowers picked in another meadow.

Noonan: I see. A roadside picnic.

Pilman: Precisely. A roadside picnic, on some road in the cosmos.

- Roadside Picnic, Boris and Arkady Strugatsky

The premise is very simple and it actually would fit the episodic nature of a TV series extremely well. Across the world (in a very specific and interesting pattern) certain 'Zones' appeared - the places where something known as a "Visitation' occurred. These were areas where the world changed drastically; they were touched by an alien presence - and everything changed and usually not in a good way. However with that strangeness came treasures - alien devices that did things. Fine - Witches Jelly melted your legs away. Witches Jelly melted anything to make more Witches Jelly. Then there were So-So, battery things that self replicated and there was the very rare and oddly aptly named Full Empty. So of course the governments where the Zone were quarantined them - they even started to send the people who lived in the Zones away. But the effects of the Zone followed you - one of the more disturbing effects was of a barber. Oh nothing happened to him, but when folks discovered that there was a 90% fatality rate among his customers, they quickly figured out that moving folks out was Not A Good Idea.

Thus the story revolves around Stalkers who dare the dangers of the Zones to bring out swag.

Quote:
This is the way it is with the Zone: if you come back with swag -- it’s a miracle; if you come back alive -- it’s a success; if the patrol bullets miss you -- it’s a stroke of luck. And as for anything else -- that’s fate.

If this sounds somewhat familiar, transplant the site to Chernobyl and you got the video game S.T.A.L.K.E.R smile

The reason it's a high-kill rate is that the 90% of what is in the Zone is fatal. The Zones are littered with bodies that serve as un-intentional landmarks, as in Go Here And You Die.

Quote:
Redrick silently took him by the hair and turned his head in the direction of the bundle of rags on the stony hillside. "That was Four-eyes," he said. "And on the left hill, you can’t see from here, lies Poodle. In the same condition. Do you understand? Forward."

Now, on the literary side, Roadside Picnic is an engaging, edge of your seat and very smart read. The Strugatsky Brothers could write! I keep a copy at my desk smile The translation by Antonina W. Bouis is **excellent** and does not feel stilted at all in any way. As Theodore Sturgeoun said "Russian I do not know, fiction I do; and I must honor anyone who can so deftly pass emotion, character dimension, even conversational idiom, through so formidable a barrier."

Now, being a Russian novel and the Authors, sadly, passed away, Roadside Picnic is available in several locations on the net in PDF form.

On an interesting note, my copy of Roadside Picnic is paired with their Tale of the Trioka which is a very different and extremely wild ride - the only way I can describe it is a cross between Mobius' Airtight Garage (of Jerry Cornelius) and Courtroom Scene from Alice in Wonderland and Walt Kelly's Suffern on the Steppes ... and not only is it no wonder that it was banned in Russia upon publication ... but in response they went back and wrote a 'director's version' where they took off the gloves and upped the sarcastic humor as only a pair of annoyed Russians could!

So yes over its history there have been many attempts to film it - there's Andrei's Tarkovsky's brilliant film "CTALKER" which roughly follows the books - it doesn't capture the action but it maintains the themes of the book and at least two American attempts that never got beyond "This would make a great film stage" - that there's a WGN pilot for a series (and filming has been done) this is really interesting.

Wolf #868769 Fri 16/12/16 21:45 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Thanks for the info. I will have to give it a read.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
J-J Vomact
J-J Vomact
Old Bridge, NJ, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,869
Posts141,646
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy