Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (KenSeg, Vryx), 27 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Wolf #862685 Mon 03/10/16 14:38 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He smiles at Kadri and her introduction, realising that in many ways this might be an opportunity for a fresh start. So he smiles too at Mrs Heatherson.

"I have only barely arrived here but already your pies have had high praise and my nose tells me that is true."

He is about to sit down but as Pietro is waiting, he hesitates thinking maybe he should wait just a while. If this is a new start, he needs to try to make it a good one.

Pushing all thoughts of Darian behind him, he realises that part of his life is over. She was dedicated to her God, Longtooth and regaining her place as a Hunter in her clan, he would always be fourth on that list. And although he tried to be part of her life, it would have been a lie. It was not his path. The Fates had brought him here, somewhere there is a reason for that, he just has to discover it.

And with these thoughts, his burden lightens as his hunger grows.

Wolf #862716 Mon 03/10/16 18:32 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He offers Mistress Heatherson a short bow. "Your hospitality is more than welcome, Mistress. Indeed it has been a very, very long time since I have had the pleasure of sharing a true family meal."

(If the other family members were introduced by name, he greets them each, likewise by name. If not he simply nods politely to each one.)

Finally he turns to Kadri, aware of the present company. "Dama Kadri, Squire Pietro is settled in. My apologies, and to you as well Mistress Heatherson, for our lateness. Climbing up and down from the Watchtowwer took longer than I had anticipated."

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 03/10/16 18:33 UTC.
Wolf #862732 Mon 03/10/16 23:06 UTC
Pietro

Pietro smiled and nodded to Cesare and Mikal as they spoke and then moved around the table to take Kadri's chair. He held it and gestured for her to sit.

"Let us sit and enjoy these meat pies which smell so enticing."

Wolf #862742 Mon 03/10/16 23:29 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri: She pauses and then smiles and takes a seat.

"Of course. And perhaps I can entertain you with some tales on the goings on at the Summer Council in Talantal from those who were there. Not everything, of course - but enough to make interesting tales, I think."

Wolf #862747 Mon 03/10/16 23:47 UTC
Pietro

The squire moved back to his seat, nodded to Missus Heatherson and sat himself.

"I would enjoy hearing the happenings of the Summer Council from another who was there," he said with a smile.

"So far I have only spoken with one such."

Wolf #862764 Tue 04/10/16 03:36 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
(By the by if they did give their children's name at some point she would have used them, don't know if they did)

Wolf #862776 Tue 04/10/16 14:03 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"And I would be interested to hear more of the area, the peoples and creatures that can be found locally. I have already made the acquaintance of some decidedly dangerous looking fishes down river whilst looking for a spot to bathe. And I understand the Rhoni come by this place on occasion? Is this how Keiko arrived?"

It is about time he focuses on his mother's last wishes. He has sidelined this part of his life for too long.

"I would ask her myself but somehow I seem to have offended her - not by intent though."

Wolf #862810 Tue 04/10/16 20:51 UTC
Pietro

His eyes widened as he listened to Cesare. Lizard creatures and dangerous looking fishes?

These people had definitely had more... interesting times lately than he had... not that meeting Lyric and then these people had been interesting enough, he thought, but interesting in an entirely different way.

Wolf #862830 Wed 05/10/16 11:02 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest
Restday, the Fifth Day of Yrick

Kadri, Cesare, Mikal, Pietro, and the Heathersons

The Heatherson children were no longer there to be addressed, as they had been banished from the table when the three men arrived, so they were no longer there to be greeted. They, of course, had their own chores and duties to attend to before it became dark enough that all there was left was bedtime. Kadri had caught the younger daughter’s name, Dorothea, from a previous conversation.

That left just Missus and Master Heatherson at the table, which was just as well as there would have been no other space for guests. From his place at the head, Master Heatherson spoke for his family.

“Me missus appreciates the fine words for her meal, and of course there could be no refusing our Young Master’s wife and those she brings with.”

The meal was good; Keiko’s compliments concerning the meat pie were indeed warranted. The meat was extremely well done, having been prepared to the head of the household’s taste and of course once cooked there was no going back. Of all the bits of conversation, it was the Rhoni’s that garnered a response and bit of advice from the dairyman.

“Well of course lad; that’s the Blackwater, and it flows out of the Dirkwood. Ye donnae want to bathin’ in that water — it be cursed, like anything that comes out of the Dirkwood Forest. Fish that walk and feed on folk, water black as night that’ll have ye sick for days, and Forest Folk that should not be... but there they are. You want to be steering clear of all of them.

“Aye... we get a caravan of thine folk through here every now and then; expect to be seein’ the fancy painted caravans just before Storms, regular like the rising and setting of the Sun, ja? But it’s never the same bunch; come from the east and ride off to the south, more like passing through than the migratin’ of hawks escapin’ from the winter mountains. As for the lassie? You’d have to be askin’ her and Missus Miller — she came down all by her lonesome, she had.”

The four could hold their own discussions throughout the meal, but like many things, they would soon come to their end. The shadow would slash dark across the land, and the horizon would become a dull gray glow. Missus Heatherson would then gather up the plates and bowls for cleaning, and if they tarried more, it would be a very dark trip back up to the Watchtower.

[[OOC Note: Feel free to continue your own conversations as you wish; unless you have other matters you wish to take care of tonight and post your specific actions for your characters, we shall be proceeding to the next day...]]

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 05/10/16 11:04 UTC.
Wolf #862833 Wed 05/10/16 11:54 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"This is excellent pie Mistress."

If he would be paying fr it he would ask for more but he kind of feels he is already taking food from the family. Maybe he can bring something back tomorrow? Make a contribution. It is often thew Rhoni way of repaying a kindness. He smiles at her before turning his attention to the head of the family.

"Cursed water eh?"

He shares a look with Mikal. Maybe they could find the source of this 'curse'? It would seem to fit into the type of thing they have been involved in and if Mikal wants to establish a troop here then a good water supply would be a real bonus.

"So where would be a good place to bathe that would not cause any concern locally? And is there a story behind this curse?"

He turns his attention back to the last remnants of his pie, heartened to know that his people do pass through.

Wolf #862835 Wed 05/10/16 12:15 UTC
Pietro

The food was robust, country fare, but well prepared and seasoned with a discriminating hand, Pietro thought, and he finished his portion, sat back and belched politely.

"My compliments to the chef," he said, smiling to the Missus.

Normally he would offer to pay for such a repast, but, with Kadri Korie present, he thought it might not be diplomatic, so he made no such offer.

The squire sat forward when the talk turned to the Dirkwood, the walking, people eating fish and, especially, the Forest Folk. He'd heard vague rumors of the wood and its inhabitants, but too vague for him to take much stock in them.

He glanced from Cesare to Mikal, across to the others present and then back to the two men, the Jvrillian and the Rhoni.

An odd grouping, he thought, but of course he said nothing of the sort aloud.

"So, you are of Rhoni heritage, Cesare?" he asked the man. As he spoke, he reached up and toyed with the darksteel wagon wheel pendant he wore around his neck.

Wolf #862841 Wed 05/10/16 12:58 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He enjoys the meal and the conversation of simple farmer folk tremendously. It is like nourishment he did not realize he'd been deprived of and he soaks it in. The food is very good, spiced in the strong manner of typical farmers, hot, and filling.

He listens to Cesare and Pietro's comments, catching Cesare's look with a simple shrug. He understands Cesare's meaning, and inwardly agrees removing a curse is a good thing, and though it seems to be the focus of what they've been doing lately, that also seems to be more a work of fate than choice.

As Mistress Heatherson begins to gather up the dishes, he stands, takes his own dishes and those near to him and follows her into the kitchen.

Forestalling any objection, he says, "I was raised a farmer's son and my mother would reach out from her rest and spank me were I to not do my share to help."

Wolf #862843 Wed 05/10/16 13:10 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Whilst waiting for the farmers reply, he passes his dish to Mikal with a slight grin. When travelling and around the campfire, he had taken it upon himself to clear up, interesting to see Mikal doing so now - but it is a good way of making a good impression, something that would be useful here.

He also replies to Pietro.

"Yes I am Rhoni."

He waits to see if any further questions follow. In the past some such enquiries have been followed up with more than words, though he does not think a Squire would stoop so low.

Wolf #862848 Wed 05/10/16 16:29 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

For her part, between or after the other's tales, answers and questions, she does a dramatic rebelling of the midsummers council, abridged where neccesary to save the face of her new family and her old family, and in as much detail as needed to let people know the shame of Jakal and the Montague. If, through conversation, Pietro and the Heathersons seemed to have an earthy enough sense of humor, she might even throw in 'The Ballad of Jakal' to the mix.
She also surreptitiously and without calling attention tthat it, leaves some coinage on the table - and also a beautiful ty thanks for both meal and advice.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Wed 05/10/16 16:32 UTC.
Wolf #862869 Wed 05/10/16 21:47 UTC
Pietro

He listened more than he talked as the meal progressed, having learned long ago that he seldom got in trouble from the things he did not say. He enjoyed the conversation from all sides, contrasting in his mind the different types of talk from the different classes of people.

"Amazing," he said, smiling but shaking his head as Kadri expounded upon the happenings at the Summer Council.

"Considering the... unusual alliances which emerged."

What the Dama Kadri said about the happenings varied little from what he had heard before he'd arrived at Waverider's Watch, primarily only differences in nuance which came from differing points of view.

When the conversation died down, he nodded to Mikal as the Jvrillian warrior took his plate and utensils and followed the missus into the kitchen area. Then Pietro turned to Cesare.

He nodded slowly, frowning in thought as he considered how and even whether he should go into details of his heritage with the Rhoni.

"In a way, so am I, Cesare," he finally said.

"I am Festival Born. Therefore, although I was not raised Rhoni, my mother was."

Wolf #862873 Wed 05/10/16 22:08 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Pietro might note that half the time Kadri very much talked like a commoner, More than half, really. It was an odd admixture of formal and informal, common with noble, and she seemed much more comfortable, when relaxed, with the common.

SHe observes the Knight quietly.

"You seem very grounded."

She says, with perhaps a note of approval in her voice.

Wolf #862879 Wed 05/10/16 22:21 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
[[ OOCly notes that ... as pointed out by a certain lass ... having not been raised in the Rhoni caravans puts your "Rhoni" status into question. Cesare, having been born and initially raised by Rhoni guardians who later perished can call himself Rhoni, however, by being raised outside the caravan families this makes him a "Lost Rhoni". Pietro, who was raised by a good Imperial Family may have Rhoni blood on his Mother's side but should not call himself Rhoni.

Especially where aforesaid lass can hear.

Like Kisa Allaine and Dominic Korie, who are also technically half-Rhoni, Pietro is better described as "Festivalborn". ]]

Wolf #862880 Wed 05/10/16 22:22 UTC
Pietro

He smiled and nodded in acknowledgment of her observation.

"I try to be, Kadri. I was not always such, but I have learned many things during my years roaming the land with Djinni."

Wolf #862883 Wed 05/10/16 22:34 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
<Looks at Pietro>

<Looks at GM>

<Looks at Pietro again>

"What he said. Criminy, you'd think everyone at the Heathersons is trying to get on said Rhoni lass' bad side. Good grief. And she wants to like people!"

<Well, possibly not the Lost Rhoni, although it's not really his fault that his elders didn't teaching him proper manners.>

Wolf #862889 Thu 06/10/16 00:11 UTC
[OOC: I have edited Pietro's post to adjust the wording. Although he does not consider himself Rhoni, neither is he willing to just eliminate his mother's entire existence... also, he would like to know something about her people even though he realizes they can and will never be his people. Also, Pietro will not follow lockstep with everyone else's beliefs and dictates just because they think he ought to. He tends to have a mind of his own. And, as I understand it, the aforesaid lass is not currently within earshot and, therefore, should not be affronted by things she knows nothing about.]

Last edited by Exeter; Thu 06/10/16 00:28 UTC.
Wolf #862894 Thu 06/10/16 01:00 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Master Heatherson

“I am sure she can hear you, ja?”

The farmer’s reply to Pietro was straightforward and obvious. There being only one room it was nigh impossible for one bit of conversation not to be heard by another. It also meant that the hearth was where the cooking was done and the dishes were set in a bucket for cleaning and only so many folks could fit around a bucket.

“As for a place to get fresh water? Well, it’s too dark now to walk out to it, but on the other side of the rock, there’s a couple of small streams where ye can find fresh water. That’s what children are for... haulin’ the buckets come dawn. As for the cursed woods, well, as far as I know they’ve been that forever and ever, at least as long as we’ve lived here and our folks have lived here.”

Wolf #862914 Thu 06/10/16 07:57 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Obliged for your information Master Heatherson."

He smiles. Enough talk of curses at the dining table he thinks, dropping the subject for now but his curiosity is piqued. He turns to Pietro at regards him for a moment before speaking.

"Are you looking for your mother?"

The question is direct but there is no hostility in it.

Wolf #862924 Thu 06/10/16 12:51 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Go. Sit and relax", he say to Mistress Heatherson when she tries to compete with him for the limited cleaning space around the bucket. He finishes cleaning the first plate and passes it over to her for inspection, expecting that she won't leave until she is sure he knows what he is doing. "If you find any dirt on that I will chop firewood for you tomorrow."

He shoos her away and works at the dishes, enjoying the repetitive work of cleaning up after a family meal. Something that used to be his job, a long time ago.

From where he is he can hear the conversation and he smiles at Kadri's commentary, noting the places she cleans up the tale of the Council Meeting.

Pietro's comment bring a reply. "I am Festival Born as well, Pietro. Though I suspect it was a bit before Midwinters I was conceived. My parents were stricter than most around the Festivals" He glances around the room, noting the children have all left and adds, "there is not much else to do on the long Winter nights I suspect." He grins and returns to scrubbing.

Wolf #862979 Thu 06/10/16 22:15 UTC
Pietro

Pietro glanced at Mikal as the warrior washed the dinner dishes and thought about offering to help him with the chore. He felt sure, however, that Mikal would merely refuse the offer, so the squire made a mental note that, should the opportunity ever arise, he would offer to handle whatever menial task which occurred.

"No," he said, turning to Cesare when the man asked the question, "my mother is dead. She died of childbed fever shortly after giving birth to me."

Then Mikal spoke up from the far side of the room.

"There appears to be more of us than I knew, Mikal."

Wolf #863034 Fri 07/10/16 12:47 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"My mother is dead too."

His tome suggests this might be more recent than child birth though and after a hesitation he confirms it.

"Her last wish was that I find my father. Not an easy task as I last set eyes on him when I was a young boy.. and it is possible that he too is dead."

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
KenSeg
KenSeg
Jensen Beach, Florida
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,855
Posts141,320
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy