Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Pandemonium), 47 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#860975 Thu 15/09/16 19:21 UTC
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Was just watching the 1979 movie The Black Hole.

Oh my! Back then it just seemed like a fun movie. Now, watching it again after all these years, I couldn't decide if I should laugh or scream :-/

On the plus side, it has Ernest Borgnine and Roddy McDowell, then ... lemme see ... Hmmmm, well I guess that =is= everything on the plus side <sigh>

Oh well <g>

MikeD
It pretty much everything on the plus side... oh well, there was also Maximillian Schell as I remember and, not sure, Yvette Mimieux?

Cheesy special effects and science even for 1979 though.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Actually the 'cheesey FX' I can forgive since the 'state of the art' at that time is =WAYYYYY= different than today. It is the blatant disregard for physics that bothers me <sigh>

And I will concede that Max was a decent 'bad guy'.

But geeezzzz ... the two main robots (Vincent and Max) both 'levitate' ... so why the =HELL= are they following walk ways in their battles? <sigh>

MikeD
They apparently did not have physics in the late seventies... None of the people who made this movie (Disney?) were allowed to watch Star Trek or Don Herbert.

you think that's bad ... on a lark and for curiosity's sake, I decided to try watching episode 1 of "Land of the Giants" last weekend.

How the heck did that show last two seasons?

Not because of my support. I never saw an episode of that series.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
<ha ha ha> I had forgotten that 'rotten tomato' candidate, Wolf <chuckle>

MikeD
I actually liked Land of the Giants... It was Time Tunnel that drove me crazy! Of course, I was but a lad at the time<G>

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I lost interest in both those shows pretty quickly <sigh> And had, thankfully, forgotten all about them ... until =THIS= <weg>

MikeD
It was the age of Irwin Allen, Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants.... It wasn't necessarily good, but it was entertaining... Sort of like Plan 9 From Outer Space is entertaining.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I (mostly) liked the first two shows ... at the time. But still, they both also had things the drove me nuts ... even then. For example, who would design a submarine that had all it's electrical systems short out every time the vessel was 'shaken' in any way <sigh> Of course, that stupidity continues on to this day :-/

MikeD
Hey, it was built by the lowest bidder!

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am not =quite= that cynical Barry <g> I understand that there was not a 'big budget' for the genre back in the day. I try to remember that when I watch.

MikeD
Originally Posted By MikeD
a submarine that had all it's electrical systems short out every time the vessel was 'shaken' in any way <sigh> Of course, that stupidity continues on to this day :-/

I remember watching an old school anime - Crusher Joe - where Our Heroes had to destroy the Big Baddie's high tech computer driven space ship stealing device. And they successfully did so! And what happened? The fancy monitors went black, all the blinking lights turned off and the massive computer consoles ... went dark. I couldn't help but smile - as everyone else had been expecting huge explosions.

More recently, in A Certain Scientific Railgun, when Our Heroes were being crippled by a psychic targeting weapons system, they were rescued by their only non-psychic member wielding a baseball bat. CPUs don't function very well when they are simply beat upon!

Now-a-days we ARE getting beyond the exploding computer systems, thankfully. Today most folks don't care if your computer is sparking or smoking - what really scares them is when all the monitor displays is a trademark shade of blue with a few lines of white ascii text.

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 21/09/16 18:37 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Oh I don't know about that. I have seen a computer smoke, and frankly it wasn't a good thing...

Oh you mean in shows. smile

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
<heh heh heh> Yeah and my car ... which is now old enough that it can come into local bars with me (that means it is 21 yrs old for those not in the know about the US's silly laws) ... which has been through a =LOT= has never had any of its electrical systems 'spritz' or 'zots' ... even when it has been through worse than those other 'ships'. While I will concede that my care =is= wonderful and special ... it =is= just a car <wink>

And Wolf, I still see that same electrical systems 'spritzing' or 'zotsing' in some =very= recent films <sigh> But I am willing to hope that you just spotted the 'trend' sooner than I have <wink>

MikeD
Most recently in Supergirl. CatCo had their IT infrastructure go down because of an earthquake and instead of having smoking monitors or sparking equipment Cat Grant's huge Wall-Of-Monitors were just displaying multitudes of blue-screen-of-deaths.

Bet it was also much easier on the special effects budget smile

(but they haven't been consistent)

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 21/09/16 20:50 UTC.
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
<heh heh heh> yeah, I am sure that BSD is much cheaper than all those pyrotechnics <g>

MikeD
Don Offline
Barry I was just the opposite. I loved Time Tunnel (until they brought in silly aliens to pump up the ratings) and hated Land of the Giants. I actually watched Time Tunnel rather than Star Trek <gasp>. Of course I saw all teh Treks I missed in reruns throughout the 70s. Our local UHF station keep itself alive by showing TOS morning. noon and night, literally.

Back in June I had my own Irwin Allen Film Festival. I watched Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Lost World and Five Weeks in a Ballon in a four day span.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered all the episodes of The Green Hornet had been uploaded into YouTube and I have been watching those (11 so far) and I still like them, 50 years later.

WOW now to I feel old.

TV shows from mid-sixities are 50 years old! I remember when that used to to be sooo old as to be considered moldy, like B&W movies from the 30s.

I just wish tthe hornets been a hour long, instead of half an hour as it is they feel a bit rushed.

I actually find them more watchable than reruns of Batman. Even though the show only lasted one season because it was serious rather than campy and silly. But I was always a fan of the Hornet.

Bit of Green Hornet Trivia: Both The Green Hornet and The Lone Ranger started here, in Detroit, at radio station WXYZ and they are related. The Lone Ranger's nephew Dan Reid <who thanks to Christmas Story we all know rode a horse named Victor - but did you know that Victor was Silver's son?> was the father of Britt Reid, The Green Hornet.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I had never really like the 'campy' nature of the batman series <sigh> It seemed so ... disrespectful of the idea behind the myth ... or something like that <g>

Green Hornet was great for two reasons ...Bruce ... and the fact that their really did try to be ... well, not serious ... but not camp, I guess.

And thanks for the YouTube hint!! <g>

MikeD
Don Offline
here's the link...

The Green Hornet (all 26 episodes)

BeentBestway apparently recorded them off Starz and uploaded them to YouTube and apparently no one cared enough to remove them. Both the video and audio quality are good enough for watching, I've been watching them on Ex's chromebook, so I can't say how they would look on a bigger screen.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks

MikeD
Loved the Green Hornet. Black Beauty wasn't as flashy as The Batmobile, but I'd put the two against each other! Remember the Crossover episode? Bruce just kicked Robin's butt!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gryphon
Gryphon
California
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,871
Posts141,688
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy