Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Phoenix Prime, Pandemonium, Miales), 62 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 58 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 57 58
Wolf #829267 Tue 13/10/15 01:07 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
it will take a bit to mull on all this, and to do so without it degenerating into a tit-for-tat confrontation, which I have no heart for or desire to get into.

Art has a very good point; the question is, if there was more recruitment, what sort of role would you like to add? Or is a smaller, more focused group preferred?

As for the rest of the party make up and how we got to where we are, there are many reasons why they have turned the way they did, which is unfortunate. I am sure there's constructive resolutions for all of them, we just need to look at it from a 'how to make it work' scenario.

As for Bekkah, she can be coaxed out of her shell! Kicking and screaming maybe, but she hasn't failed you guys yet!

That, as foghorn leghorn would say, is a joke.

Wolf #829269 Tue 13/10/15 02:02 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
If we do add another, it would seem ideal to have that person have a connection, either established or new, with someone in the party. Not sure what that is yet, but ...

I know, I can just hear someone in the background saying "Oh dear God, there goes LMS again."

Just remember folks, this is a game. Meant to be fun. Nothing more.

Also, I've tried to GM, it's hard. And it takes time, especially if you intend to do it well. And I appreciate anyone doing that for me. And it actually makes me feel guilty because I'm unable to give back by running a game myself.

So fine tuning is great. Everyone likes feedback, especially if they can make minor changes that make everyone happy. Failing that, I say Wolf makes it clear what he wants to run, and how it will be run and everyone decides for themselves if they want to be a part of it. After that, we continue or not, but at least everyone knows what to expect.

Wolf #829295 Tue 13/10/15 11:44 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Agreed! But until we get that commitment and know who is continuing then we cannot decide how many or what type of characters we need. It might not be too hard to bring characters in, Kadri & Mikal are here to recruit after all! grin Yes mostly combatants but any troupe needs its support staff!

Wolf #829303 Tue 13/10/15 14:33 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
For once, I’m not sitting here saying, “Oh, dear gods, there goes LMS again.” Because you’re right.

We’re supposed to be having fun, and it seems pretty clear that some of us aren’t. Some of us haven’t been. So the question to put on the table is: what can we do — individually and as a group — to bring back the fun?

As I look around at the players we’ve got, I think all of us have taken on the job of GM and/or DM. You’re right, Niv... it’s not an easy gig.

What I’m going to disagree with is your last paragraph. Wolf has both made it clear that he wants to run (a player-centric game) and at the same time made it so vague that even I don’t know what he really wants. He’s stated how it will be run: he presents scenarios and we choose the ones we will pursue. Or we think up something else. The fact that a non-zero number of us don’t understand what he’s presenting in the scenario choices is a different conversation. (But it’s the most important conversation to have, I think.)

I know that both Zeim and I have decided that our characters have different agendas that weren’t part of the original story “concept.” They’re storylines that can run in parallel, that work better with separate player groups, and can be woven back and forth between groups as much or as little as the players involved want or need.

But knowing what to expect — from both GM and players, for both GM and players — is absolutely vital. That can only be accomplished with communication. Communication means the person saying a thing must say it in a way that the person hearing a thing understands. Communication means the person hearing a thing then tells the person who said a thing how it sounded to them. That’s where we’re going to discover whether or not we’re playing the game we think we’re playing, and the GM will know he’s running the game he thinks he’s running.

I think Zeim’s example is better, but I’ll use mine... because it’s mine. Daxia wants to go to Glacier Keep, to the Jambles above Glacier Keep. She wants to go because after an entire lifetime, she’s just learned that she has more family than just her sister. She’s excited to meet her grandmother and her cousin, and she’s scared. And she wants Bekkah to come with her to meet grandma and cousin Starwatcher, but understands that Bekkah might not be able to do that. This is absolutely the kind of scenario Zeim would hate, hate, hate... but it’s definitely my cup of tea. It’s about the people.

I’ll grant that it was my own mistake to have even mentioned Starwatch Reaches. That is not and should never have been part of the equation (other than the geometry equation of locating the three Dayalan Temples were Ironsilver can be cast... and the reality of the world means the Bordertown Temple is the only one that’s viable, using a very loose interpretation of “viable”).

(I can’t control what the GM will latch onto, but I can keep saying over and over and over and over until he understands what I’m saying: I do not have a burning need to visit Starwatch Reaches / the Dall Gwynn. The GM is free to continue presenting scenarios that might pique my interest. BUT NOT UNTIL AFTER I DO WHAT *I* WANT TO DO! I picked my scenario already.)

The purpose for going to the... Highbeck Jambles? I think it’s Highbeck. Anyway, the purpose for going there is Family Reunion. That’s it. Simple. Easy. And after that? I don’t know. Maybe it will depend on what happens at the Family Reunion. (Well, Daxia does need to go to the Temple in Dawnview Vale to see the High Priestess, and it would be fun to drag Kay along... but after she sees her family!)

So the issue isn’t having the GM make it clear what he wants to run (already clear: a player-centric game) and how he wants to run the game (present scenarios for players, riff off players’ actions). It’s not an issue about the players deciding if we’re on board with that. It’s what we’ve been doing (with various levels of success) since the beginning. The issue is a matter of communication between GM and players about what the players in this player-centric game want from the game. This truly is the insurmountable problem I see: an inability to communicate.

It took a year — a YEAR of my life to get the GM to understand what I meant by, “Do Bekkah and Daxia have any other family?” I asked in writing, both in character and out of character. I asked verbally, in tones ranging from polite to strident to enraged. I was explicit in my request... who was Yuri Tashasdotter’s mother... father... siblings... other relatives? Who were Eelia Darksmith’s parents... siblings... other relatives? In this, I’ll admit to having an advantage over the rest of you because I can get in the GM’s face when he is hearing and seeing words and interpreting them in his way, not mine. And because I was the one asking the question, my interpretation was the correct one. (And to this day, I still don’t know how the GM got “How is Dazi related to Kisa?” out of all that.)

The frustration and unhappiness and lack of fun we’re having is all due to a language barrier.

(Or, if we think sinister thoughts, we are all merely pawns on the GM’s chessboard and have no free will. But let’s go with the language barrier option. It’s less depressing. And at least that can be remedied.)

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wolf #829450 Thu 15/10/15 21:34 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
I've been following / lurking the ooc thread, as I do have something to say, but haven't the first clue where to start and have been taking time to recharge from a brutal work ... can't even call it a schedule.

That said, this will likely ramble here and there. You are forewarned.

I like my interpretation of the character. I've enjoyed her interaction with the other player characters from the initial discussions with Mikal (is that bow decorative? wink )to the sharing and potential recruiting of Cesare (which came about as a response to an awkward situation we were put into).

For the most part Darian has not had much to do other than shooting things / people as the need arose. The couple of occasions where there was a vested only for her interest, much was skimmed over, or plainly flat out ignored. The last case, when I was able to post, not only did my explicit details get ignored but I was offered a non-apology. "I'm sorry if you were offended" kind of BS. Then the NPC was the worse kind of a$$. That kind of thing takes time to respond to, and stuff happened in RL, and, well, next time I looked, everyone seemed to be in a different town.

To me it seems, Darian does just fine on autopilot. My presence has not been necessary to the game or any plots/scripts. The couple other Hunters we've come across have been rude and condescending. It's a bit like complete strangers being nicer and more reliable than your family. I don't need that in game life, got plenty of it in RL.

Also, the whole posting rate thing...we wait weeks on weeks for a GM post and for certain others, but, heck, if I can't post, too bad, so sad, we're moving on. What's the point of even f'ing bothering?

I waffle about coming back because I really like ineracting with the other PCs. Is that enough? I don't know. And the point may be moot.

The only reason I can sit down and write this now, is because I took a week off. It's taken me this long to have enough coherence to put this in words. I'm juggling ~16 projects in various phases and even some other people on those projects and know that come next Wed I'll have a list of 16 more. My time isn't going to get any freer for the foreseeable future.

Wolf #829594 Sun 18/10/15 18:37 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
** grumfs **

I had thought the updated HWD post had been returned; I was mistaken. I had wanted both that post and my reply here to go up at the same time. When I get the HWD Weekend post back I'll repost!

Wolf #829597 Sun 18/10/15 18:54 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
You can't win an argument, because if you lose, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it. Why? You will feel fine. But what about the other person? You have made them feel inferior, you hurt their pride, insult their intelligence, their judgment, and their self-respect, and they'll resent your triumph.

I think that’s where we are right now. It’ a difficult place to be. And it’s why I am stepping away from any direct responses, accusations, explanations and conditions. Tit-for-tat, back and forth are destructive engagements and as I have said before I have no heart to go there.

Have there been miscommunications? Obviously. Whether you wish to acknowledge it or not conditions arose that only served to make communications more difficult. And after the week’s reading, it seems equally true that these misunderstandings still exist on all sides of the coin.

So I am simply accepting the situation, working to understand the parts I don’t and am endeavoring to move forward in a constructive manner.

I really appreciate Zeim bringing this up and continuing to talk to me in a constructive manner. I think it helps lots.

Where to next? There are at least four folks who have expressed a desire to see things move forward – Zeim, Art, Gypsy and Nivek. The question, that hasn’t been truly answered, is whether you four wish to expand the group or continue as a more focused group.

That’s a question I can’t answer. That would be a good discussion and we can decide to recruit or not recruit together.

As for Pam, Darian and Longtooth, that is a matter of concern. The quiet on my part is deeply tangled in the previously noted miscommunication quagmire. In some ways I should have practiced what I preached and reached out; one problem with a break in communications is that what you honestly believe may be the case really may not be.

For that I apologize.

Pam, you and Darian will always be welcome to stay. Darian'sinteraction with theothersis always great. I also understand your extremely heavy workload; to that end much – if not all - of my quietness was an acceptance of that and simply maintaining Darian in an off scene holding pattern waiting for your return at your own time, manner and without me having done something with Darian that would have been unacceptable. That, considering how long things took, probably wasn’t the smartest of decisions.

Kelly’s made it very clear what she wishes and I’ve always said I will do my best to work with a player’s desires. The only question then is the manner and mechanism. And that can too be worked out approached constructively.

Right now, we are in a simple situation in the game; a very straightforward one. A girl needs finding. We have four who are set to do so; if it is appropriate for Darian to join them that’s an easy matter; it is a hunt and they would be easy to follow and catch up.

Darian has options – it might also have interesting tracking down Broke, Talean’s Village is big enough to have a Hunter, try hunting in the shadow of the Dirkwood, staying back at the tavern or realizing that who ever took Dydd had to come from somewhere and this might be somehow trackable. Or Darian can remain in waiting until a better time arises. Opportunities, not limitations and always in respect for the time you have available.

Daxia has a library and two scholars. A library bigger than Dawnview’s - for Kisa at least this is a once in a lifetime chance. We just need to look at it from a what can we do as opposed to what can’t be done.

And as for posting, my weekend schedule is very stable. I’d like to get to a point where I can enjoy writing HWD during lunch every now and then.

That would be nice.

Wolf #829598 Sun 18/10/15 19:10 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Rory has arrived with lamps, which will illuminate a sphere of the underground sections large enough so that will be time to react to anything anything jumping out at you.

If it can easily be carried by one person running Rory probably could have gotten it or you; I do not want to have you folks thwarted by missing a reasonable length of rope or a ball of twine, for example.

Looking forward, those going in should set traditional dungeon roles - who is leading, who carries the lamps, what is the party order. Rory will go where you want him to.

Right now the noise of the bay is louder than anything that can be heard from the underground area.

If you could give me an idea what you will be keeping an eye or ear out for, that would be appreciated.

Wolf #829632 Mon 19/10/15 12:39 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Thanks and for the map! smile

Just a quick note, Cesare's crossbow and bolts are not on his character sheet. Could you please add? Thanks smile

Wolf #829637 Mon 19/10/15 13:14 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Super OCD Woman does not see a reference to Cesare obtaining a crossbow, just training with Mikal's. If you could point me to the appropriate post, I will be happy to remedy this egregious error.

Wolf #829639 Mon 19/10/15 13:35 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
I am pretty sure we bought one for him in Bordertown. The same place he made a Rohni Dagger for Mikal (not sure if that's on Mikal's sheet).

Also, Mikal had placed the following spells onto his Darksteel Weapons:

Harden - 3 Points
Blaze - 3 Points
Absorption (Divine) - 1 Point
Slipperiness - 2 Points (adds +10% per point to chances to retract a stuck weapon)
Morale (Divine) - GM gift (can be cast without requiring normal prep time)
Weapon Blessing - 2 Points

Can you add to his sheet?

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 19/10/15 13:52 UTC.
Wolf #829649 Mon 19/10/15 15:16 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
most importantly, I have no problem with Cesare picking up a crossbow between Bordertown and Talesan's ... there would have been ample opportunity too.

Wolf #829672 Mon 19/10/15 20:33 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Found the references, Z. Thanks. I'll need the GM to give me the correct numbers to go with Cesare's crossbow and Mikal's new dagger. Once I have all the information I need, I'll update the sheets at the earliest possible opportunity.

Also, as the stat sheets were originally designed (and are currently designed), spells aren't bound to a weapon. They're invoked at the time the weapon is used. If the GM has made changes to the system, I was not informed... so I'll just make sure all your spells are up-to-date.

Last edited by Kel; Mon 19/10/15 20:38 UTC.

Wolf #829676 Mon 19/10/15 20:53 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
They are spells embedded in the Darksteel weapon (per my understanding). These are above and beyond what Mikal has available to him as his normal spell complement and can be called upon from the weapon whether it is used or not. It is simply a storage pool for extra magic.

Wolf #829690 Mon 19/10/15 23:45 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Um, okay. I have no idea what's going on with any of this stuff (especially with newly made-up spells, happy fun times there, says Super OCD Woman). So, I'll just let everything stay the way it is until the GM gives me the correct numbers for the weapons and explains what the heck is going on with the spells. I do not grok. I need to grok.

I mean, I know you're Numbers Guy and all, and I'm sure there's a jolly good tactical advantage to what you've done. Yay, you! But... spells that don't exist... making head hurt... PAIN PAIN PAIN PAIN.

I will go away now.

Wolf #829711 Tue 20/10/15 11:47 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Imagine the Darksteel weapon as a blank spell scroll that can hold a certain number of spells. As Wolf explained it to me Mikal invests the spells (either Divine or Mundane) from Jvrill or himself by spending POW points. The limit is up to his total POW, but if he invests them all at once he would topple over exhausted.

He then recovers the POW the next day, after rest, so he can add them to the weapon over time if he wants to.

So, for Mikal, limit is 11 spell points into the weapon. Each point of POW invested is then held in reserve and expended when the spell is called forth.

All of the spells (except for Slipperiness) should be in the background material. I created 'Slipperiness', with Wolf's agreement, as a means of trying to reduce the chances of Mikal's short sword getting stuck in opponents rib cages.

Does that make sense? If you know D&D it works very much like a "Ring of Spell Storing".

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 20/10/15 11:53 UTC.
Wolf #829714 Tue 20/10/15 12:14 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
The numbers make sense. The concept makes sense. There's no way to account for it on the stat sheet, however. And I had it out with the GM last night for not informing the webmaster that there were two spells that needed to be added to the background files (Slipperiness and Weapon Blessing). (Does he believe information drifts there by magic just because he thinks the thoughts? Well, Luddites have believed stranger things, I suppose. wink )

We now wait for the GM to get me the necessary information to add to the stat sheets. (Based on past experience, you and Gypsy could be waiting a while.)

Wolf #829720 Tue 20/10/15 13:09 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Here's the details of Weapon Blessing and Slipperiness from my PM w/Wolf:

- Weapon Blessing - +1 damage & +5% chance to hit per POW pt, maximum of 3 POW points.
- Slipperiness - +10% per POW point to chances to retract a stuck weapon (normally chance is Strength x3)

There is also this (not sure if you have it or not):

- Battle Matrix - allows you to store POW in your sword for casting, 1 point per 1 POW invested up to 3. This POW can be used to power your spells or a spell stored in the blade.

I didn't choose Battle Matrix, which is sort of a way to store raw POW without pre-assigning it to a specific spell so you can be flexible and use it as needed.

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 20/10/15 13:13 UTC.
Wolf #829729 Tue 20/10/15 16:19 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Battle matrix/spell matrix is straight runequest rules for storing spells and or power in an object ... Its a component on how rq makes magic items

On the road in long island

Wolf #829732 Tue 20/10/15 16:47 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Imma gonna smack you both.

1. Do the stats for Mikal's crossbow apply to Cesare's crossbow?
2. Do the stats for Cesare's Rhoni daggers apply to Mikal's Rhoni dagger?
3. How is the HTML coded to account for weapons that hold spells? (I'm using DIV tags and CSS; give me not any of that TABLE nonsense.)

NOW do you understand what I'm trying to extract from you, Mr. GM?

I am going to the dentist. Super OCD Woman is going on holiday. Labhair leat níos déanaí.

Wolf #829737 Tue 20/10/15 19:02 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Table? What is this table you speak of? Do we not use Registers any more...... heh

Wolf #829976 Sun 25/10/15 20:45 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
apologies for that being late; i had wanted to do a midweek post but work got in the way.

now you have true dungeon challenges to consider ... a long passage ahead that has at least a modicum of water over the floor and the poor lighting preventing anything to be seen beneath the surface - and an ominous something waiting in darkness ahead!

Wolf #829977 Sun 25/10/15 20:59 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
PLEASE NOTE: Posts are no longer being proofread.

Wolf #830121 Thu 29/10/15 00:18 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Question for you folks!

When you saw "look to the right" (which would be south) do you mean the walls immediately to the right (in the gray area) or retracing your steps, going past the airlock and looking down the corridors further south (and in the black)?

In the meantime... I will send Art the results of Kadri's spell casting.

Page 30 of 58 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 57 58

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Pit Friend
Pit Friend
Midland, MI USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,850
Posts141,170
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy