Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phoenix Prime, Neptune), 45 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Jayden

"How long before I can take her with me," he asked, the question coming unbidden and without conscious volition.

Now why the hell had he said that? He didn't really want the one cat, much less two.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She finds the spirit irritating. It never gives her a straight answer but maybe that is the nature of spirits. Well so far it has not proved itself hostile and it might prove useful.. but she intends to keep an eye on it.

As the two men discuss matters, she looks from one to the other wishing she could understand.

And she considers that maybe they should check on Jezzabella's burden. Could she get her burden there? Her eyes close as she ponders the problem.

Jayden

A question suddenly nagged at him and it felt somehow that he hadn't come up with the question himself... more like someone else was asking him.

"I didn't think to look," he said to the vet.

"But does the cat have a nametag on that collar?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The doc who had been completely absorbed with carefully examining the old cat. He gingerly slipped his fingers in and around her fragile bones to check for any unexpected movement.

Stopping his examination, he slipped his hands upward. "Yes, looks like there is a rabies tag here. If nothing else we can look her up."

He raised his voice "Ella, can you look up a rabies vaccination record for us?"

The young woman answered "yes, what is the number."

"8675309," the man called back through the closed door.

"Ok looking it up. I will print out the record when I find it."

Jayden

"We'll know something about your friend in a few minutes," Jayden murmured, leaning down close to the little cat's ear as he continued to stroke her gently.

"Thanks, Doc."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
A few minutes pass and the doc says "I am going to have to cast these breaks. She has at least two or three ribs broken. That way we can keep her from moving too much. The owner will have to keep her calm as he or she can."

The young woman opened the door and brought in a single sheet of paper. "Looks like an older lady here in town is registered as the owner. Miss McNally."

Jayden

"If you'll tell me how to get in touch with her, I'd be glad to let her know what happened to... does the information give the name of her cat?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

If the circumstances had been better, she would have been content to stay there... except Jezzabella was hurt.. except that it was in that awful place that smelled so bad.. except that strange things were happening in the woods.. except that a strange spirit seems to have attached itself to her burden.

Still.. she purrs.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The doctor said "no we can notify her. I would rather we got a bit more information on what happened. I don't want to say I doubt your story, I don't. But from the damage, it really looks like she was kicked. That kind of abuse shouldn't be allowed to happen."

Jayden

He thinks I did it...

Jayden slowly shook his head.

"I've told you all I know. I found her like... the way she is and have no idea how it happened."

He paused a long moment.

"I did not hurt the cat. If I had, do you think I would have brought her here to you?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The doc shook his head. "No. I am sure you wouldn't have brought her to me, unless you had a pang of guilt. But I don't sense that. Don't take my words for anything directed against you. I just hate to see things like this. They happen too often, even in a small town like this. All of us are on edge since the boy went missing." It wasn't exactly a request for forgiveness, but it was close.

Jayden

Jayden almost said that he had found the young boy's body, but he couldn't see where that could help anything.

"Sorry, Doc. Didn't meant to jump to conclusions about what you meant." He smiled a wan sort of smile as he continued to stroke the little cat purring on his left arm.

"I've been a little bit on edge myself."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The man started to use the plaster paris mix the young woman had been mixing from a bucket and some water. He slathered it onto a dense mesh wrap that he had put around the cat's middle. His movements were sure, yet gentle.

"I didn't mean anything either. Like I said. I am sure the boy's mother is just out of her mind. I know how tough it is on me when one of my cats wanders off for a day. A child, I just don't know what that would do to me."

Jayden

His hand stopped suddenly, perhaps quickly enough to startle the little cat.

"You know the boy's mother?"

It was threatening to get all too personal.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Now what?

She opens her eyes just a s;it to see what is happening. Nothing. Perhaps he has just forgotten to keep stroking. She nudges his hand with her head.

Jayden

Stimulated by the nudge, Jayden resumed his stroking of the feline's head, not really noticing the stopping or the restarting of the motion.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The doc said "yes, I know the whole family. It is a small town after all and I am the only vet. You have a pet, I have seen you at some time or another.

"Take you for example. I know you are new in town because I have never seen your cat. Your cat is well cared for, but she has had a scare in her past. She seeks your attentions and you give them, both wonderful things, but not that common a behavior. If I were to guess I would say you got her from a shelter." He smiled at Jayden.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

That's better.

She settles down again.

Jayden

One eyebrow quirked upward and he smiled a quick, small smile.

"And I would say you are a good guesser, Doc."

Jayden frowned, looked down at the cat and then back up at the vet. He knew he should leave the older cat in the veterinarian's care, but something made him reluctant to do so.

"Take good care of her, Doc," he said, gesturing at the unconscious feline. "Let her owner know how to get in touch with me if she wants to."

He turned to leave but paused at the door in case the vet had something else to say.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Pandemonium 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Gypsy
Member Spotlight
Miales
Miales
Conway, Ar
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,844
Posts140,774
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy