Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Weez), 51 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She nods enthusiastically.

"Yes the Rockseeker brothers! Do you know where we might find them?"

She takes a small sip of her ale, whilst watching the innkeeper, hoping he might have the answer.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"I am Chandan. From the East. Humble student of life.

"It is very nice to meet you.

"Yes. I like this village very much. It feels safe and comfortable; is there a local lord?"

Neptune Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Innkeeper

The innkeeper answers Jaliera.

"No m'lady. They haven't been around town in over a tenday. And frankly, I miss them. They are good customers. I assume that they are out of town on business."

He turns his attention to the dragonborn, "And for you sir, would you be wanting anything to eat or drink? Are you in need of a room?"

OP Online Content
Borim

The more sober man seated with Chandan answers.

"If you want to call him that, yes. Harbin Wester is the townmaster but he has done little to keep Phandelin safe. We are overrun by hooligans."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

If they have not frequented the inn in that time then likely they are not in the area. Or something has happened to them too?

She nods to the innkeeper and whilst he talks to Kriv, she says quietly to the others.

"Maybe we could leave a message here for them? They should know what we have found out."

AJ Offline
Kriv

Whilst he preferred accommodations more befitting his rank and station, the Dragonborn noble scion wasn't above less suitable fare if duty called for it. The mission first and foremost, other considerations were secondary.

"I would be glad to sample your fare. I will consult with my colleagues as to our rooming arrangements to ensure we are all on the same page, so to speak."

Karok Battlehammer

"Aye, I'll take a room." he said after taking a long pull on the first ale, wiping off his mouth with the back of his hand.

He looked around the room, noting where Chandan went. He hoped the man didn't get into trouble they could use a quiet night.

"Tell me good man, who around here would know all of the surrounding area well? Especially the places away from the main roads?"

OP Online Content
Innkeeper

"I will surely pass on a message if you need to do so and they grace my tavern with their presence. What would you like to say? Did you want to craft a note?" he says to Jaliera.

"So far I know that Sildar, who is already upstairs, you sir Dwarf and I believe this noble dragonborn and that tiefling friend of yours are in need of a place to stay. Anyone else can make arrangements later. I'll get you keys now so that if you wanted to rest or refresh yourselves you may do so at your leisure."

"As for that question, sir dwarf, many of the people who live here work the nearby Sword Mountains. The others are farmers. You might ask one of the miners? Like Lanar over there," he adds as he nods over to a table with four men. His eyes focus on a large, bald headed man there.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Yes I can craft a note."

She smiles at the innkeeper, before looking round at the others.

"We can discuss the contents over dinner."

It would be useful to seal the note too.

OP Online Content
[ooc: Just wondering if people are confused or it's something else. The other group is flying along with this chapter. Maybe it's just that typical end-of-year slowdown for some? I don't like to push things faster than people like to play but I anticipated this part of the game moving with a bit more pace. Do we need some sort of reset? Review?]

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
OOC: Well, we are just naturally smarter in the other group! grin

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
I'm just waiting for the others to post.. wink

AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn eased himself into a seat beside his compatriots, and quietly commented,

"I had a look at the Townmaster's building: There was a notice outside asking for help against more vermin activity in the area, Orcs this time. I suspect there's a correlation between that and our recent findings, and it may be worth our while following up on it."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She glances at the table of miners when the Innkeepeer points it out and nods. Moving over towards it she gives the miners he best smile. "Mind if I sit with you and chat for a bit? We", she tilts her head back towards the group, "are new in town. Figured you men might know the news."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He will sit back enjoying the warmth of the common room while waiting for his food. He does not have any suggestions at the moment for Jaliera about writing the note to Gundren's brothers.

When Kriv mentions orcs in the area, Davroar sits back up with his attention turned to him. "Orcs? Do you think they'd know where Cragmaw Keep is?"

[ooc: sorry about my lack of posts, RL distractions past few weeks ]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"They might, unless we can turn up a better lead. The longer we leave Grundren in that place, the less likely he is to survive it."

She frowns.

"But we do need to know where to go."

She gets some paper and ink from her pack and starts to compose a note.

Grundren's brothers,

Grundren hired a group of us to deliver some goods from Neverwinter to Phandalin. We were attacked by goblins and learned that they had captured Grundren and Sildar. We decided to attempt a rescue. We did rescue Sildar but he said Grundren had been taken to Cragmaw Castle. We are here trying to discover where this castle is to go and try to rescue Grundren. We may fail. Hence this note.

Jaliera, Davroar, Kallista, Kriv, Karok & Chandan

She reads it out to see if the others at the table approve, currently only Kriv, Karok & Davroar are there.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Hi. So in an attempt to answer Neptune's question, I read the other thread and it may be that we have a different end of the stick compared to the other group.

We've been playing like Gundren's rescue is top priority, extremely urgent, hence trying to find anyone who can give us a lead on Cragmaw Castle or King Grol.

Can't speak for others, but that's how it seems. smile ]

AJ Offline
Kriv

He scanned the note and nodded his curt approval, then removed the signet ring from his right hand, drawing a candle close.

"The insignia of Norixius Keep, the brothers may be familiar with it given our previous business with the Rockspeakers. It may serve us as an additional vouchsafe and guard against tampering. For the time being, however, I suggest we canvas the town, and see if we can glean any further leads of any other vermin activity. I have a strong suspicion that if there is widespread increased activity amongst the uncivilised species, all of it will lead back to Cragmaw."

OP Online Content
DM

With the innkeeper, Toblin Stonehill, now back in the kitchen tending to things, Jaliera starts writing her note. By the time that Sildar Hallwinter, the fighter the party rescued from the goblin lair comes down the steps, he sees Jaliera pass the note over to Kriv for review. Karok and Davroar are there too, discussing their next move. Kriv reads the note and makes his statement when Sildar reaches them.

"May I join you?" Sildar asks. As soon as he's acknowledged he takes a seat at the table. "I feel so much better now that I've had a bath". It is obvious that he looks and smells better too. The dirt that had crusted on his skin after many days on the road, and the stench he built up after spending time as a captive of the goblins was now washed away. In its place was a clean and tidy man. He spots the innkeepers wife as she emerges from the kitchen and calls out to her, "Trilena, I'll take that plate now." She smiles at him and heads into the kitchen but only for a moment and she approaches the fighter.

She bends down towards him and sniffs him, "That's better. Don't you be coming into this place smellin worse than men that's been workin the mines. It's bad enough I have to tolerate them."

"Well, it was not my intent to get waylayed by goblins. I spent too much time as their guests," he says as she lays the plate of food in front of him.

She smiles, "Alright then. This one time. Next time take a dip in a river before coming in here."

She was about to head back to the kitchen when Sildar stops her, "I am looking for a wizard named Iarno Albrek, do you have word of such a person?"

"No my dear. I have not. Maybe the Redbrands got to him. They are such trouble! Just a tenday ago, Thel Dendrar, the woodcarver, tried to stand up to them when they came into his shop and leered at his wife. He ended up dead, I tell you. Those ruffians carved him up good. Several townfolk saw it. The Redbrands grabbed his body, and now his wife, daughter and son have gone missing too. I would wager this person you seek, Iarno, was taken by them."

Just then, a little boy, not more than eight years old, appears behind his mother. "Carp told me he found a secret tunnel in the woods, but the Redbrands almost caught him!"

"Pip! Stop telling stories and spreading rumors like that," Trilena says to the boy before turning back to Sildar and looking at everyone at the table. "Please excuse my son, his friend, Carp, is a bit of a mischief-maker. I'll speak with his mother, Queline Alderleaf, about his stories."

Kalista was not at the table at the time because she walked over to a nearby table and asked about recent news. "Sure" one of the miners says to Kalista. "Have a seat. We've been wondering about you. I'm Lanar and these here are Monish, Olaf and Pestish. What news are you talking about? The orc raiders?"

Chandan is at another table with three men, and during his conversation with them he learns that they too are miners. Borim has been talking about Harbin Wester, the townmaster and that seems to have brought others into the conversation. That includes the table which Kalista visited. The consensous of the locals is that Harbin has not done enough about taking care of the Redbrands. As the conversation progresses and further queries are made about looking for the dwarven brothers, one of the miners suggests that they visit the miner's exchange to get that kind of information. "See Halia Thornton there. She may have heard something more."

[ooc: There are some differences between the other thread and this that are a byproduct of events at the goblin lair. It's kind of nice that this module is not a railroad. There are different paths to take and the game can diverge. It's not a problem if they go one way and this party goes another way.]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She doesn't like the sound of these Redbrands, especially as they seem to hide out in the woods. And then this orc activity. She looks at Davroar.

"I'm not sure we should be staying in the woods with these Redbrands and orcs in the area. Perhaps tonight we should stay in the inn. Someone needs to do something about these Rebrands. The shopkeeper was complaining about them too."

OP Online Content
Sildar

At the table he overheard Jaliera talking to Davroar and said, "Harbin Wester is the townmaster and should be doing something about those ruffians!" He seems quite agitated to learn what's been going on here.

AJ Offline
Kriv

"Enough."

The Dragonborn's face was as unreadable as ever given its scaled nature, but there was no mistaking the ire in the tone of voice.

"Enough of this 'someone should do something' nonsense. If the one responsible for safeguarding the town is guilty of dereliction of duty then he should be replaced, preferably executed but I recognise that may not be your societal norm. In the absence of responsibility, take responsibility. Problems left unresolved do not resolve themselves, they fester, grow and become insurmountable.

Unless the people of this town wish to be overrun by these brigands, the attitude needs to change from 'Someone else needs to do something' to 'I am doing something'. This is not my town, and I will not work without appropriate recompense, but if no-one else is willing to do what is necessary, then I will. Disorder and brigandry are enemies of the civilised social order and must be extirpated."

OP Online Content
Sildar

"I certainly intend to deal with this." The icy response was delivered in a matter-of-fact tone. The Dragonborn can see that this fighter they rescued was a kindred spirit in some ways. He seems to be seething as much as Kriv, but is just holding it in better.

"What's this about orcs?" It seems he's looking to figure out what problems need to be addressed.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

To Jaliera he says, "You're probably right." Still he feels a need to commune with nature. Wanting to get back outside then before night, he will quickly finish off his dinner.

As to what they do next, he adds around a mouthful of food, "Should we ask the townmaster which problem came first?"

Davroar silently wonders if one problem has lead to the others happening.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She nods to Davroar, glad in some ways to be staying in the inn, but disappointed in others.

Looking to Sildar and Kriv, she listens as they speak.

"I'll be happy to join in and try to make life better for the townspeople here but it should not detract from finding Grundren. Also it is no good sorting out one problem for another to move in. The townspeople will need to be part of the solution."

These seem wise words from a youngster. She smiles, adding.

"Just going to book rooms for Davroar and myself."

She will approach the innkeeper or beckon him over to do so.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Tusk
Tusk
Warboys, Huntingdon
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,844
Posts140,976
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy