Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (AquaDyne), 91 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Morning, Rameday, the First of Fate

Bekkah, Kadri and Mikal

Morning came to Talantal. For some unknown reason dawn always came a bit too early for everybody the day after Midsummer’s – especially those who chose not to sleep that night. For many it was the time to pull the covers back over one’s head, for another it was discovering that a bar room table made an uncomfortable bed, for another it was a mad scramble home to wake up in the right bed.

For Bekkah it was walking through the highest gate and through the cloisters arcade, to be met by Priestess Jasmine’s hard stare and fingers drumming over crossed arms, the exact same look any mother would give a younger child when they had finally decided to come home well after their curfew.

“You know … you were supposed to set a proper example for those two initiates …”

Jasmine then nodded towards one cell, where a small figure leaned back against the closed door, knees drawn up, arms wrapped around a tall spear. Kay was obviously asleep – with Bekkah’s apprentice safe in her cell.

“And what are we going to do about that. We sent a Squire to dislodge her and she GROWLED at him."

For Kadri and Mikal it was quite different. It was to a warm room, comfortable blankets and the scent of cinnamon and bread. When they finally awoke it was in Dominic and Kadri’s rooms in his tower of the keep. A few spirals of the stairs down Daxia and Kisa had finally found their rest, after dancing and walking and library perusals. They would soon find a similar breakfast awaiting them, however the young Master’s wife, of course, comes first. Bread and cinnamon pastries, apples and pears, a melon too was the morning fare.

There would be cheese too. But pieces would mysteriously disappear.

As the two ate, Kathi drew herself up and folded her arms behind her.
‘The Kierkegaard household will be leaving at noon; they are currently making ready in the main court, thus if you have business with them you’d best start with it early, Your family will be taking their leave on the morrow; however as they will leave at first light, again making today your last chance to parlay with them.

“Lord Tray’s investiture has been scheduled on the next Rameday, to allow for matters to be settled and the transition smooth. As he will be reviewing ledgers over the next few days, he has said he would appreciate an interruption every now and then. Miss Mouse usually provides his evening interruptions, so I would recommend morning or just after lunch.”

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She had awoken early and dressed in a manner that, while still appropriate enough, was not nearly so fancy as the previous day's getup.

"Very well, Kathi."

She pauses, eating inbetween sentences.

"I think I will see to my business with Rikart first, then perhaps interrupt just after lunch, so that Tray is actually doing something for me to interrupt him from. I will deal lastly with my family - especially my sister - somewhere inbetween, as the time allows - either after I see Rikart or after I see Tray. "

She tilts her head and looks to Mikal.

"I apologize in advance for dragging you along to personal business, if you do indeed come - although I suspect I will be quite safe in the presence of my family and of Kierkegard - that decision of safety is, of course, up to you. I will not be sneaking out like a recalcitrant little girl."

She grins and winks his way.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Wed 19/11/14 14:49 UTC.
Bekkah

She did not feel remorse for her actions so the admonishments of Lady Jasmine did not make her lower her eyes in shame.

"Her and the other two worked very hard yesterday. They more than earned the right to enjoy Midsummer's. No harm came to anyone. Most definitely the opposite in fact. I think you'll find the people of the city, the real people love our Lady's followers more than ever."

"As for Romana, I will take her to her room and get her ready for the day." she said with a nod of her head before heading to Romana and Kay.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Oh, I will tag along, I think. Besides the fact that I am bound to do so by our agreement, it is more likely that you will face danger from a relative than from a stranger. " He winks back.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

"Very well, oh persistent one."

She offers a head nod.

"I bow to your wise council."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

Kathi smiled.

“Then they await you in the Keep’s fore court. It is a long ride back to Highgaard I have been told.”

Kathi had spoken true. In the broad and open courtyard between the Keep proper and the highest of the Talantal’s gates the Kierkegaard household were making their preparations to return home. Horses were being saddled, others hitched to sturdy wagons, the honor guard adjusting their banners and the mantling of their horses.

In the midst of all this the Elder Kierkegaard marked a silent watch. He held in his hands the reins of his mount a tall and calm stallion that seemed a cross between the rugged winter horses found in the Black Mountains and the finest of Amber plains runners.
Obviously the two Noble Families have been toying with bloodlines for generations.

Khorall Kristof Kierkegaard watched as Kadri and Mikal approached, a hand on the strong neck of his horse. His son was a bit distracted, saddling his on horse, next to his father’s. It was equally obvious that the Khorall noted they were coming straight for the two of them.

“So …

“To what do we owe this pleasant morning audience, Dama Korie?”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Bekkah

Actually, Romana is already in her room at the cloisters - that room, that door is the one Kay is … protecting.

The Talantal priestess continued, just for a bit,

“As for that … you have tossed a rock into a well managed, quiet and serene mill pond, annoyed the Knights and both our adepts and the squires are asking questions that have no good answer.

“Yes. I have heard, how could I not. The First Ring’s pet Aterran.

“Let me ask you this. What is going to happen the first time someone dies in her care? It will happen, it’s just a matter of time. Will they still love her … or will they point to her white hair and inhuman ears and say that’s the reason why?”

Jasmine crossed her arms.

“That’s the one thing Anastasia taught m that stuck. That the decisions e make have consequences. Have you really thought this out?”

The High Priestess watched as Bekkah turned and walked away. When she was three steps from the Romana’s room Kay stirred, the time between Highside Heather and here not enough to dull years on watch. One eye opened, noted who approached and only then did the short Dayalan lifted her head. She rested it back against the wooden door, looking up to Bekkah through rest-worn and twisted bangs.

“She’s finally asleep.

“Ya know.

“It’s kind o’ nice figurin’ out where ya belong.

“Ah’ll neva’ be ah Hero.

“But Ah think Ah’ll make ah fair guard.”

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Beautiful animal."

She says quietly, looking at it.

"I can see the mark of Amber in its lines. An intriguing combination, both rugged and fast. As for the meeting - I had the desire to meet the one who would marry my sister - and to also offer some explanations for some events that may have occurred long ago."

She offers a formal bow of respect to the elder Kierkegaard and then to his son also.,

Bekkah

She held Lady Jasmine's gaze with her own. She could act as regal as anyone when necessary.

"I think you still believe she is doing this as some kind of game or stunt. I assure you, she has embraced our Lady. And because of that, our Lady will look after her, as she does for all of us."

"And I ask you this Lady Jasmine. Perhaps someday it will happen as you suggest and perhaps some might turn on her. Do you not think that goodwill built up before that happens will not help her? Some may forget and turn on her. Some won't. But regardless, our Lady will see to her safety. I trust in her."

She had started walking away, before she turned to face Jasmine again. This time her voice had the tone of one issuing the lecture, not receiving it.

"Our Lady's gifts were not to be saved solely for those of noble birth. We are to help all. It seems in the bigger cities, that lesson has been forgotten." she said before turning to fetch Romana.

She smiled at Kay.

"I believe that you will indeed. And yes, finding one's purpose makes one feel like a great weight has been lifted from you. Yesterday was a grand day for many of us."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Bekkah

“Our Lady is kind and merciful. Sometimes to the detriment of those who serve her to their fullest. I trust our Lady too, Lady Yurisdotter.

“But just as it is a real world beyond the city walls, it is also a very real world here inside the walls.

“Where Nobles and the less Noble must somehow live togther.”

Talantal’s High Priestess turned on her heel, to return to her cathedral.

“Your apprentice seems to have captured some hearts on a Midsummer’s day. Lets see if your words are true, and she can continue to do so when the days become longer and harder.

“I shall find a proper Squire to make sure they …”

And that was when Kay spoke up.

“She gots me. I’ll even watch over the twins for you.”

She offered the Priestess a wry grin, leaning her head against her spear. Bekkah actually recognized the grin. It was a Koromov smile, she had seen the Captain use the exact same one.

“Deal with it.”

Jasmine took her leave. Looking up, Kay offered up what she had denied priestesses, squires and knights. She squooshed aside, to let Bekkah into her apprentice’s room.

And the young guard had spoken true. Romana was there, and was asleep. She looked as if she had just fallen on the bed in exhaustion, a sprawl of slender easterner. Someone had taken off her boots and belt, and even managed to untangle her surcoat. They were set at the end of the bed. A pillow had been awkwardly tucked under white tresses and a blanket lain over her.

Romana actually looked quite peaceful, and even harmless, when fast asleep.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

“Well he is standing right there.”

Rikart turned as his Father spoke, drew himself up and gave both Kadri and Mikal a very proper nod. He simply wrapped the reins of his horse over the front of his saddle and when he stood quiet – so did his mount. A very properly behaved horse.

“So. Here I am.”

The young Lord smiled.

“No fangs. No wings. No claws, talons or scales.

“Just a bloke who works with horses. “

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri;

She looks at him a moment.

"M'lud '.

She curtsies.

"Still quite handsome, although I only caught a glimpse through the door the first time. I think big sister will quite like you - although I hope for your sake you have a lively sense of humor."

She tilts her head to one side for the moment in thought, but does not yet continue.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sun 30/11/14 19:57 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He stands near Kadri, but a step behind and to the left, watching the courtyard and peripherally watching the alleys and doorways. He listens to the conversation she is having with one ear. There is something he'd like her to ask, but he can wait until she is done. **Perhaps she will ask on her own?**

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 30/11/14 17:11 UTC.
Bekkah

She decided to let Lady Jasmine have the last word simply nodding when she was finished. She watched her go for a moment, wondering if things really had to be as complicated as she made it seem.

Turning to Kay, she smiled down at Romana's protector.

"I'll hold you to that. I think the twins may have learned a thing or two yesterday and may well want to go back to the poorer sections regularly."

She reached down to gently shake Romana awake.

"Romana, time to rise for the day." she said hoping she wouldn't startle her too badly.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Bekkah

“ … aaaayyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!”

It is an immediate start, a sudden fast movement, and instinctively, reflexively, Romana ooshed herself away, bundling her bedding about her in a protective cocoon. She tucked herself in the farthest corner of the bed and then two things happened.

Bekkah found herself with a rather grim looking Dayalan at her side.

And, after a panicked heartbeat or two, a pair of wide blue eyes peeked out from the tumble of bedding.

“She don’t like bein’ touched … at least that’s what me teacher says, ja? I guess being surprised is right out …

“Hey whitehair, think I’d let anyone not nice by?”

Romana looked between Kay and Bekkah, blinking once, twice and then thrice. She ducked beneath the covers again, offering a very apologetic

“ … Romanas ….

“ … all so new. Romanas had guards all her life …”

The bundle of blankets shivered.

“Never protector. “

Slowly she poked her head back out, her head tilting a bit.

“Ask Dazi-dazi? Tell Her to go back too sleep? Too earlies to be mornings …”

Bekkah’s Initiate sighed, a touch princess like. But then she smiled and asked hopefully,

“Romanas go back again?”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

Rikart looked down upon the shorter Kadri, which, in itself, was not too surprising except that they did grow their Lords tall in the Black Mountains. They also grew them a touch honest, or at least that was how his smile felt.

“Actually, I believe it is the youngest Korie who has found himself with the mischievous sister, not to take anything away from your elder.

“But that, I suppose, that is what this visit is supposed to be for; to see if we may actually end up liking each other. She might discover I am the one with a sense of humor or a taste of adventure.

“At the least, she might discover that our mountains and pine forests are, at the least, a match for your plains and fields of grass.”

The young lordling looked past her, then, to note Mikal’s stance.

“We are quite safe in the Korie courtyard – not to mention next to a Khorall and beneath his honor guard’s watch – so are you pensive by duty or do you have your own unanswered questions?”

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"It is when you feel most safe that you are in the most danger", he says with a quirk of the corner of his lips. "Because you relax your guard."

He turns to look at Kadri as he feels that what they have recently discussed should really come from her, but he can introduce it perhaps?

"My Lady was discussing with me the need to train a large number of quality horses and riders. So naturally our thoughts turned to House Kierkegaard."

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 07/12/14 16:13 UTC.
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She looks to rikart.

"I just wish you to understand that one night, long ago, I was not ready to marry to anyone and there was no fault of yours - and from all I hear and see you are a good and honorable man. And in a different world where I were not who I was..."

"And if you treat well my sister dear - "

She grins and winks.

"Then I will not have to come after you."

She nods after Mikal.

"I trust this man implicitly with my safety. Besides, I am afraid my newest sister from among the Kories is perhaps none to fond of me and my ... poetry ... regarding her brother and familial relations in general. I am none too fond of bullies ... and perhaps from time to time my words with them may be impolitic. However sometimes things just must be said."

As to the matter of horses ... It was as said by Mikal, I mean to acquire some of the finest horses in the land from the land of my birth, and it would be ideal that they be trained by the best horse trainers in the land. If I were to want to look into this possibility - who would it be best for me to talk to?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Rikart Kierkegaard

"It would not be the first time we have done so; most of the Heavy Horse were trained at the Castle and the Bordertown Guard. The best, of course, is if you have both the men and the mounts to be trained together."

The lordling's brow knitted a bit,

"Some folks go elsewhere ... and we must admit we are not sure why."

He'd then smile to Kadri,

"A trustable man is worth more than all the mainland crowns ...

"As for an untrustable sister-in-law?

"I'd recommend a long and distant honeymoon."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"We won't be training them as Heavy Horse. I have some..., different ideas in mind. I do expect we'll have the men and horses together. Is there anyone among your trainers you'd recommend? Someone open to new ideas? I'd like to train them privately, away from prying eyes. Perhaps someone who is willing to travel?"

Bekkah

She couldn't help but smile at the white haired initiate.

"Perhaps we can go back, but for now you have to get up. We will get you used to seeing Her rising. It does a person good to be up when her people rise. Most of those you helped last night are up already."

"So up you get and we'll go find something to eat. Perhaps they have muffins, but I make no promises."

"And as an initiate, you answer to our Lady as well as other priestesses. It does not matter if you or your protector do not like them. Someday you will stand with them and be able to make your own choices. We are not above others. Always remember that." she said looking at both of them.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"I have some activities in mind regarding the completion of unfinished business."

She smiles.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Bekkah

At Bekkah's words her initiate looked down, looked down as she slowly sat up, tucking her feet beneath her as she blinked her way into being a little more awake.

"Its ... its ... not thats."

Romana slowly looked up.

"Romanas helps ... everyones and everybodies ... romanas understands. Romanas no hurt anyones ...

"Father hurt Romanas ...

'Still ... still scars. Maybe Lady heal. Maybe not. Romana not ask ... help others, yes? Then, maybe, hurt will go aways."

"Romanas tired of hurts. Wants to heal.

"Surprises. Not good."

Next to Bekkah, leaning on the cell's door frame, Kay simply shrugged her shoulders.

"I answer to a different Her, your Bekkahship."

The small Dayalan held her battered spear close, offering Bekkah a veteran's smile.

"Who already thinks I am nuts for protecting his one. Worrying about inexperienced Squares, officious Knights and suspicious like Ladies somehow donnae hold a candle against that, ja?"

Romana then looked between the two, Dayalan and Atteran - having use the brief distracting conversation to pull a white tunic over her head - and offered up a single, hopeful word.

"Muffles?"

And indeed, there wer muffles ... er ... muffins. One of the benefits of being the Talantal Cathedral was that the Korie kitchens were at their beck and call, guaranteeing hot pastries and cheese and apples for the morning's repast. There was a brief kerfluffle before entering the lady's meeting hall, where breakfast was served. For it seemed to be a more private place; a place where squires and Knights were not allowed - for while things were never improper, they could be more comfortable.

'What? You want me to prove I'm a girl?"

Kay's challenge ended the disagreement, and she was allowed to follow Bekkah and Romana inside, much to the chagrin of the other guardians.

Kay chose an apple for her breakfast. Romana lost herself in a blueberry muffin.

After a while, and a bit of consternation, and the tugging of one twin to the other, Marcy and Darcy joined them.

" ... don't care. We learned so much more yesterday than in any other lessons. We actually helped instead of watching ..."

That was Macy, of course.

Finally the eldest of the Temple came and sat next to Bekkah.

The older Priestess smiled, while at the other ed of the room Lady jasmine just crossed her arms and looked over the exchange.

"So Lady Yurisdotter ... what do you plan to teach your Initiates today?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

To the latter, Rikart Kierkegaard shook his head, looking to his father and receiving a nod in return.

"On one hand we would have to say no. Horse training - especially training for the melee or being in a fight - is not something hat is normally done in the field. There' a strict regimen of instructor, horse and rider that needs the support of stables, stable hands, and pells.

"On the other hand, where we do most of our training is deep in the Black Mountains; where there are farms hidden in the valleys off the main road; those places are quite remote from those who might be watching.

"The best way to not be watched is to not garner attention - if spending time in the Kierkegaard lands is something that you would normally do, folks won't give it a second thought.

"Like visiting relatives."

The lordling then returned to packing his mount - or mounts, actually.

"Would I be wrong in thinking, however, that this would be the fourth or fifth step in your plans?

"Kierkegaard isn't going anywhere, and once our loyalties are set, they do not change.

"What might be better is to start on the first step ... first. Determine what you need to do to start along this path.

'And do it."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods. "Indeed, fourth or fifth step. And I expect it will take some time. Will need to send the men and the horses in small groups and then they will need a place to stay." He glances at Kadri.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
eclaasse
eclaasse
North Carolina
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,847
Posts140,860
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy