Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 59 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#734918 Fri 29/08/14 12:20 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM (MikeD, Pandemonium, Neptune, Exeter, Kenseg)

The Driftwood Tavern in Neverwinter is both an inn and tavern that caters mainly to longtime locals. Madame Rosene takes pride in having kept its doors open since before the Spellplague. When the cataclysm struck, innkeeper Madame Rosene, a serious woman now in her late fifties, sheltered refugees within her walls. The Driftwood offered people a makeshift city hall and gathering place during the troubled years.

[Linked Image]

Madame Rosene and her regulars have filled the inside of the tavern with bric-a-brac, curios, and relics of Neverwinter before its fall. The statue from a favorite fountain stands in a corner. A wineseller’s planter boxes, filled with flowers, brighten the walls. A knob and a knocker from a noble’s estate are attached to the privy door. Ornate doors pulled from the wreckage make fine tables; unbroken panes of stained glass hang overhead as chandeliers, lit by hundreds of carefully placed candles. Though the decorations have been salvaged from all over the city, the tavern does not feel junky, and no one thinks Madame Rosene is taking advantage of Neverwinter’s fall. Quite the opposite—the Driftwood is considered a monument to old Neverwinter, like a dusty painting of a beautiful girl hanging above the deathbed of an aged noblewoman.

Prices for room and board at the tavern are high. The atmosphere is one of quiet reflection, rather than boisterous merriment. The Mintarn mercenaries stay away, preferring to eat and drink at the Moonstone Mask or some other cheaper place. Visitors to the city stop at the Driftwood to marvel at the museum of objects, or to learn about old Neverwinter from Madame Rosene for the (expensive) price of a drink and a meal.

You have been asked to meet up with Gundren Rockseeker here. Gundren is a dwarf and a friend. He has promised you work.

[Linked Image]
Madame Rosene is engaged in an animated discussion with a turbaned, Calishite merchant sitting at the bar. A few stools over are a pair of middle-aged humans. The larger of the two is wearing beige satin robes and the smaller man, who is bald, is wearing dark pants with a matching vest that covers all but the collar and arms of his white shirt. Both look well to do. The bartender serving them is a large, serious man - the type you want on your side in a brawl. A pair of tinker gnomes, male and female, are drinking together at the far end of the bar and they're talking to a bubbly barmaid. Eight common-folk scattered about at three different tables are eating meals and chatting. Each small group seems to be by themselves, people who came in for a quiet, midday repast. Sitting in a far corner of the taproom are three dwarves drinking with vigor. On the other side of the room are an unusual pair. An elven woman with a remarkable looking bow rests against the table while a quiver is strapped to her back. Next to her is a large half-orc, a sword almost 6 feet long rests on the chair next to him. The half-orc is wearing black leather armor that is darker than the night.

Into this scene several people wander in...

A dragonborn, 3 humans, and a halfling. They all come in within a few moments of each other. It's as if they were all told to be here at the same time.

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 29/08/14 14:32 UTC.
Zeim #734923 Fri 29/08/14 12:44 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

[Linked Image]

The first person coming through the doors into the darker interior of the Driftwood is a tall, spare young man in his twenties. He has longish brown hair swept back from hazel eyes that have a look of deep intelligence in them as he looks the crowd over as if seeking someone in particular. He is dressed in a green doublet over a white shirt with a silver chain at his throat and a dagger at his belt. He carries a blackthorn staff in his hands, worn and etched with faint runes.

Evidently not seeing whomever he was looking for, Balthazar moved toward the bar to place an order and wait for his contact.

KenSeg #734944 Fri 29/08/14 13:51 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

[Linked Image]

Stepping into the dim lit interior, the man stepped to the side to scan the room while letting his eyes adjust to the darker interior. His eyes lingered on the bow of the elven woman.

He walked casually toward them, stopping a polite distance away, he bowed. In decent ... for a human ... Elvish said, "Pardon my intrusion, but I couldn't help but notice the magnificent weapon you have and was wondering if you might permit a closer inspection."

MikeD
MikeD #734981 Fri 29/08/14 14:47 UTC
Lingo
The halfling strolled into the inn like he belonged there. He was just a hair under three feet tall, and had a nice bush of hair growing atop his feet. His hair was black. His eyes were black and his clothes all matched. [Linked Image]

Gundren wasn't here yet, which was alright. It gave him the opportunity to mill about and get to know people.

And he was thirsty. So he saddled up to the bar, next to the rich Calishite, and tossed a silver piece onto the bar, "Hey pal," he called out to the burly barkeep, "can I get a beer? I'm waiting for Gundren. Do you know Gundren Rockseeker?"

Neptune #735033 Fri 29/08/14 16:07 UTC
Ryssa Noman

[Linked Image]

A slim human female of medium height entered and paused for a moment just inside the door, her gaze moving across the room. Her hair was light brown, almost blonde, and was drawn back from the right side of her comely face but, oddly, was arranged to cover much of the left side of her face. She wore a chain shirt over a common shirt and trousers, had a short bow and quiver across her shoulders, a rucksack on her back and two large daggers in on each side of her wide leather belt. Around her neck was hung a round, flat amulet portraying a curving path leading up to a rosy dawn.

Apparently not seeing whoever she was looking for, she moved up to the bar, nodding a greeting to the little one standing there.

"The blessings of Lathander to you," she murmured to no one in particular.

Exeter #735039 Fri 29/08/14 16:21 UTC
Lingo

The halfling turns towards the pretty lady with a smile. He paused for a second and raised a single eye-brow but decided not to needle her.

"Bless you too, sunshine! You sure just brightened up this place."

Neptune #735053 Fri 29/08/14 17:08 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

The brown haired young man had taken notice when the Halfling had asked for the dwarf that they both evidently were here to meet. Balthazar had been about to say something to him when the woman, the cleric of Lathander that is, came in and to the bar. Balthazar closed his mouth and decided to watch, looking a touch uncomfortable.

KenSeg #735074 Fri 29/08/14 18:19 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

At the approach of the human the elf's eyes snap in his direction. The arm of the half-orc sitting with her reaches for the hilt of his Greatsword and is only stopped by a gentle elven hand laid across his other hand still holding the mug of ale he is drinking. The half-orc grunts, but slowly releases the sword's hilt.

The elf turns to face the human with a smile. "She does not like being touched by any but me, ...... mister.....?" The oddity of assigning emotions to a weapon stands out to Bern.

As that small drama is being played out, and Balthazar's attention is drawn by the interactions between the boisterous halfling and the Cleric of Lathander, he notes the barmaid has seen the new arrivals and begins to head over in his direction.

At the bar, the bartender grunts a reply to the halfling. Whether it is acknowledgement of his request for a beer, acknowledgement that he knows Gundren Rockseeker, or both is lost as Lingo's attention is drawn by the pretty looking Lathanderian Cleric who arrives near him. However Lingo is likely relieved to know that at least one part of his query was answered as a mug of ale slides along the bar and stops right in front of him.

"5 Coppers", is the gruff reply that accompanies the ale. Expensive for a drink, but then this place was not known for it's affordability.

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 29/08/14 21:25 UTC.
Zeim #735150 Fri 29/08/14 21:16 UTC
Ryssa

Turning her head slightly so as to present more of her right profile to the room than the rest, the cleric smiled slightly and almost laughed.

"My pleasure. Her eyes moved across the room and then back to the Halfling."

"Do you know a dwarf named Gundren Rockseeker?"

Zeim #735154 Fri 29/08/14 21:25 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

"Bern, milady." He did not find it so surprising that an elf could have a relationship with such a weapon. If he had such a thing of beauty, he would cherish it every but as much.

"And I can well imagine that she would be as committed to you as you clearly are to her.", he continued in elvish. "Tell her she is as lovely and impressive as her mistress and I think that she is lucky to have found you", he said with a bow. "Sorry to have intruded."

He took one last look at a thing of rare beauty ... well two things ... before heading towards the bar.

MikeD
MikeD #735160 Fri 29/08/14 22:18 UTC
Lingo
"Here's a whole silver," he says to the bartender. "Can we get my lady-friend a mug too?"

He then turns towards the priestess and answers, "Yeah. I kinda know him. We met a few times and pounded back some of this fine brew together. Are you waiting for him? I am too."

Neptune #735169 Fri 29/08/14 23:37 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
[Linked Image]

Through the door strides a large Dragonborn wearing weathered chain mail. On his back are two weapons crossed a great axe and a maul. The weapons like all of his other equipment has seen use. His greenish tinged bronze scales glisten in the flickering light.

His deep set eyes scan the room clearly looking for someone. Not seeing whomever his quarry is, he moves to the bar and taps once lightly with a clawed hand "ale", he speaks simply when he has the bartender's attention.

He listens to the the ebb and flow of the conversation in the room watching and waiting.

Last edited by Pandemonium; Fri 29/08/14 23:38 UTC.
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

"Then it seems that three of us are here to meet with our dwarven acquaintance. I am Balthazar." he said to the Halfling and the cleric, nodding to the Halfling but avoiding the eyes of the pretty cleric.

KenSeg #735177 Sat 30/08/14 00:03 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

The dragonborn over hears the comment and offers in a deep gravely voice "I too have come to meet a dwarf."

Ryssa

"Ryssa Noman," she said with a nod and a brief frown brought on by Balthazar's seeming avoidance of her. Her hand came up toward her left cheek, pausing just short of touching it.

Ryssa had never been so close to one of the dragonborn and she cocked her head slightly as she looked a him.

"I, too, am here to meet a dwarf."

She glanced back down at the Halfling and her smile returned.

"Thank you."

Exeter #735326 Sat 30/08/14 17:47 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

The female elf holds up a hand as Bern speaks, then reaches behind her and picks up the bow with both hands, holding it out. "I can show her to you, just not hand her to you."

She holds the bow out lengthwise, turning it slowly so Bern can take it in. The bow is of white ash, and so delicately carved as it give Bern the impression it should snap in two were any real strength used to draw it's string back. Carved along it's length are lifelike woodland scenes.

"Her name is Oathkeeper. Mine is Beyel. His", she tips her head towards the half-orc, "is Ragar."

She shrugs a bit as she replaces the bow. "Apologies for not being more welcoming, but we're sort of in a business meeting and waiting for someone."

She nods at Bern as he moves to leave. "Nice to meet you, Bern."

As the others gather near the bar, the waitress comes over.

"Hi!"

She raises her right palm and waves it quickly, looking rather silly. Then as if that wasn't enough, she follows it with a childish giggle. She didn't look like any child, though. She was all woman and she seemed to know it.

"You're new! Welcome, welcome! What can I get you all? Food or just drink? We've got some tasty mutton today! Can I tempt you?"

Last edited by Zeim; Sat 30/08/14 17:47 UTC.
Zeim #735332 Sat 30/08/14 18:03 UTC
Ryssa

She frowned briefly. Ryssa was not overly fond of mutton but she was hungry.

"My newfound friend here," she said, gesturing toward the Halfling, "very sociably ordered a drink for the two of us."

Her smile returned as an idea occurred to her.

"So I would like to order a meal for myself and him."

Ryssa looked downward at Lingo.

"If you are hungry, that is."

Exeter #735341 Sat 30/08/14 18:35 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

"The mutton is eight silvers but it comes with a healthy serving of roast vegetables and a pitcher of the finest ale north of Waterdeep." Replies the barmaid. "Shall I bring you two orders?"

Exeter #735342 Sat 30/08/14 18:36 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He turns back and looks appreciatively and intently at the bow without getting too close. "An extreme pleasure to meet you 'Oathkeeper'", he said with an appreciative bow. He was quite sure that Oathkeeper was not as fragile as she appeared. The elves had their ways, especially with things from the forest. "And you as well Beyel", he said as he stepped back. Then turning to the half-orc, he added, "and you Ragar. My name is Bern and I completely understand. I am here for a business meeting as well, so I completely understand. But Oathkeeper was the first thing I saw and my wonder got the best of me", he said apologetically. "May your business be profitable", he said and left the three to get back to their business.

He slowed as he approached the now somewhat crowded bar. He was not a fan of large crowds of strangers. He found a small empty table near the bar. Once the crowd thinned out, he could get an ale.

Last edited by Zeim; Sat 30/08/14 22:56 UTC. Reason: fixed pc name

MikeD
MikeD #735359 Sat 30/08/14 22:49 UTC
Ryssa

"That does change things."

She turned back to Lingo.

"Since the meal comes with an ale, should we just split the cost between us. That is, if you are hungry."

Exeter #735475 Sun 31/08/14 13:12 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

Balthazar had eaten earlier so he was fine with just his ale but with the addition of yet another person waiting to speak with the dwarf, he makes a suggestion.

"Since there are now so many of us, perhaps we should take a table to wait for him."

KenSeg #735511 Sun 31/08/14 14:28 UTC
Lingo

Contributing now in several conversations, Lingo starts talking fast, stringing together phrases in a rather haphazard way. His head moves just as fast as his words as he shoots glances at each of the people he answers with a different expression. His facial expression alters itself dramatically at each turn going from pensive to decisive to quizzical and then to probing and finally to excited.

"Hmmmm. Mutton and ale. Mutton works for me. Have you ever met a halfling that wasn't hungry? Hey, have you heard or seen this dwarf we're waiting for? Does the name Gundren Rockseeker ring a bell? Yeah! Let's have a party. That table there!!!"

With the last he twirls around on his furry tippy toes and races over to the empty table, sliding to a halt and hoping into a chair with impressive agility.

"Come on! Whatcha waiting for?"

Neptune #735584 Sun 31/08/14 18:23 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

The waitress nods and heads off to the back, coming out with two large plates with vegetables piled high atop sliced mutton, servings worthy of the steep price, and brings them over to Ryssa and Lingo and places them down on the table. Steam rises from the plates.

"I picked out some rare pieces for you young sir. I hope it's seasoned to your liking." At the conversation around their missing host, she adds, "Did I hear you are waiting for Rockseeker? Which one?"

As she waits for an answer, the fairly flighty waitress looks over her shoulder to a nearby table where another newcommer was sitting. Turning to Bern she asks. "Something I can get for you Sir? Some mutton? An ale?"

Zeim #735587 Sun 31/08/14 18:51 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

"An ale would be nice, thanks. But no rush. I am still waiting on a friend."

MikeD
MikeD #735603 Sun 31/08/14 19:33 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

The girl giggles. "Them too." She gestures with her thumb over her shoulder at the other table. "Seems to be the thing to do today. Another giggle and she heads over to the bar, quickly returning with an Ale.

Zeim #735617 Sun 31/08/14 20:36 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

Well by his count that was three groups ... and perhaps more, he wondered as he looked about at the other patrons. But then wasn't this the kind of place you would use for an ad hoc sort of meeting? Not so cheap that it would be full of people trying to mind someone else's business ... not so expensive that folks couldn't afford to get in. So it did not seem so surprising to him, he thought with a shrug as he watched the giggly girl bounce away.

"Thanks", he said when she returned with his drink.

MikeD
Zeim #735638 Sun 31/08/14 22:28 UTC
Ryssa

Her hand moved to her mouth and she rubbed her lips slightly as if suppressing a grin at the antics of the Halfling. Giving another glance at the human male who had so obviously avoided looking at her, Ryssa followed Lingo to the table and took a seat.

"Gundren Rockseeker, but no, I've never seen him."

"Smells good, she said, leaning over the plate and inhaling the aroma."

Exeter #735641 Sun 31/08/14 22:35 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

He peeked at the pretty woman as she moved to the table that he had indicated and, taking a breath, went over to sit at the table. After all, it had been his idea so he couldn't rightly not come sit down and perhaps he could manage not to make a fool of himself.

"I have seen Gundren." he said quietly, looking up for a moment and smiling at the Halfling. Balthazar liked halflings. They were very direct nice people. He took a drink of his ale and shifted his eyes to the woman.

KenSeg #735670 Mon 01/09/14 01:20 UTC
Ryssa

Ryssa sat with her head cocked slightly to the left so her right profile was more noticeable. When she moved her head and her hair swayed slightly, the end of a puckered scar could be seen close to the left corner of her mouth.

She nodded to the newcomer.

"I am Ryssa Noman, cleric of Lathander the Morninglord," she said quietly.

"And this is my new met friend, Lingo."

Zeim #735726 Mon 01/09/14 04:11 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

The dragonborn in chain watches the halfling and listens to his animated talk. He doesn't move until his ale is in his hand and the price paid to the bartender.

Once that was taken care of he steps to the table and asks "did I hear correctly that you are awaiting the dwarf as well? Might I join you at this table?" Odd phrasing but clear enough.

Ryssa

Ryssa looked up at the dragonborn male and blinked a couple of times. As a child, she'd had a fear of snakes and lizards but her years in the monastery devoted to Lathander had taught her that such fears were irrational.

But it had not rid her of the last vestiges of her childhood.

She nodded and gestured toward a chair at the table.

Exeter #735812 Mon 01/09/14 14:42 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

He looked up at the huge dragonborn and smiled, greeting him in his old tongue.

"I am Balthazar, wizard and former apprentice of Callista." he said, nodding his head respectfully to the new addition.

"It appears that we are all here for the same purpose, whatever that is. I do hope he shows up soon."

He glanced again over at the cleric but looked away if she turned to him. Was that a blush coloring his cheeks?

Last edited by KenSeg; Mon 01/09/14 14:42 UTC.
KenSeg #735905 Mon 01/09/14 17:40 UTC
Lingo

"You might as well. It seems as though we are going to have a party here."

The others were offering up their names and life history. The halfling offered half.

"Oh, and I'm Lingo, the shy one. I see that you bring your own ale to the table. That's a good start. I like you already."

Now seated he opens up the conversation.

"Listen, I just met Gundren a couple of days ago. He said that he was getting together a bunch of people to help him with something. Look, I need gold, probably like the rest of you. What do you know about this guy? Could it be something big?"

Neptune #735928 Mon 01/09/14 18:41 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He watched the growing ... and very disparate ... group with a sinking feeling. He had thought he had heard the name before, but this time he was sure. And it seemed unlikely that Rockseeker would have two meetings at the same time. But Rockeeter knew he preferred to work alone. He sipped slowly at his ale trying to decide whether to stay and see what the job was or to bow out now while he had a chance. The only reason he was even =considering= the job now was because he needed the coin it promised. That damned dwarf was probably counting on that, he thought with a sigh.

MikeD
Neptune #735943 Mon 01/09/14 19:27 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

The dragonborn nodded and said "thanks". He took the seat and listened. At the question he hesitated fir a moment. Then he answered "money is not my primary reason for seeking the dwarf. But it will do as my public face."

Ryssa

Ryssa grinned at the Halfling.

"We will work with you so you can overcome your shyness."

She thought she saw Balthazar averting his gaze again and her hand moved once more to her left cheek to see if her hair was at least mostly covering the puckered, disfiguring scar which ran from her left temple almost to the corner of her mouth.

Often she could go days at a time without being overly concerned about her disfigurement, but twice now he'd brought it back to mind and it was beginning to vex her.

"If I can earn coin while I spread the word of Lathander the Even-handed, then all the better," she said in a subdued tone.

Exeter #736235 Tue 02/09/14 13:13 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

The waitress seems to be hovering near your table. It could be no one else has need of her, or it could be she's attracted to one of the men in the group.

At the constant talk of Gundren she chimes in, in the way a shy person who wants to be included will, "I saw him a tenday or so ago. Him and his brothers. They were right here. They seemed very excited about something and they finished about a dozen pitchers of ale and ate like horses. They were quite the happy lot."

She trails off when she sees some of the party looking at her, and a call from the matron causes her to scurry off to take care of another table.

Zeim #736396 Tue 02/09/14 19:27 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

The dragonborn nodded at the woman's words. To him everyone had personal agendas and hers was nicer than some.

The waitress's words made the dragonborn shift in his seat. As she scurried away he said "ten days. That is a while ago."

Last edited by Pandemonium; Tue 02/09/14 21:45 UTC.
Ryssa

"A tenday or so," she said, nodding. Ryssa pointed toward the far corner of the taproom.

"So I am assuming that he is not one of those three dwarves there."

Exeter #736462 Tue 02/09/14 23:39 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

A quick shake of the head 'No' is all the reply Ryssa gets as the waitress scurries off to do her mistresses bidding.

Zeim #736838 Wed 03/09/14 21:15 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

Finally Gundren Rockseeker enters the tavern. Several heads turn at his arrival, which is to be understood since they've been waiting for him to show up.

The dwarf spies the table where the majority of his hirelings are waiting and makes his way there. As he moves there, with a wave of his arm he signals to all the others waiting to meet him to join him at that table.

Zeim #736872 Wed 03/09/14 22:54 UTC
Ryssa

She looked at the dwarf and nodded her head in acknowledgment of his presence.

"Greetings to you, oh master of minerals and all the underworld," she said in well accented, guttural dwarven.

Exeter #736952 Thu 04/09/14 02:52 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

The dragonborn nodded recognition but said nothing.

Lingo

As soon as Gundren gets to the table, Lingo slides his chair towards him and places a mug of ale in front of the dwarf. "Been waiting for you. What's up?"

Neptune #736977 Thu 04/09/14 03:37 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

It was as he feared. It seemed that Gumderen expected that all here would be called to work on the 'project'. But he could express that displeasure at a later date, of needed. For now he would listen to the presentation.

He pulled his chair around to face the group and hear the presentation.

MikeD
MikeD #737019 Thu 04/09/14 12:29 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

Balthazar steepled his fingers together and waited to hear what Gundren had to say to such a large and diverse group. This should prove interesting at least.

KenSeg #737094 Thu 04/09/14 15:46 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
Gundren

Once everyone was huddled up at the table, the dwarf began to speak. "Thank you all for coming. I've got a job for you. The pay is not great but I can't afford much more at this time."

The dwarf seems very rushed and excited when he places a pouch filled with coin on the table. "It comes out to about 10 gold per person, which is a fair rate for the work I'm offering. It's a simple task, to escort a supply wagon to the town of Phandalin."

Work in Neverwinter is difficult to come by and the cost of living is soon to drain you of your gold. This, to you, sounds like a fair offer for easy work. You've also heard that jobs like this, if they turn out to be difficult, often result in greater reward in the form of loot and treasures found.

"You'll be taking this stuff to Barthen's Provisions in Phandalin. He'll give you an additional 10 gold per person when you deliver the goods. Are we agreed?"

Zeim #737118 Thu 04/09/14 17:52 UTC
Lingo

20 gold did not sound like a lot, but it was decent wages. Considering how fast he was burning through his money, Lingo was ready to do some work.

"I'm in."

Neptune #737120 Thu 04/09/14 17:54 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

"20 gold is a sufficient wage if our food is provided by your provision wagons?" he countered with a reasonable request.

KenSeg #737177 Thu 04/09/14 23:03 UTC
Ryssa

The cleric was not overly concerned with pay, but she did have expenses... had to live. It seemed a fair rate of pay, if just barely.

"How long is this... excursion expected to take?"

Exeter #737235 Fri 05/09/14 02:54 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He stood an approached Gundren. "Is this the task you had mentioned to me earlier". he asked. The possibility of 20 gp was not anything he could afford to ignore, but it would apparently mean working with this lot.

MikeD
MikeD #737337 Fri 05/09/14 16:07 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
Gundren

He nods to Balthazar. "Travel rations will be provided."

Glancing in turn to Bern he nods again. "Yes. All of you were asked here for the same purpose. To work together and deliver the caravan. I thought you could use the money. It's an easy job, but I wanted someone I knew and could trust, not some random hired guards."

Looking back to the larger group he continues. "It is just provisions that you will be transporting and the trip will likely take you 3 days traveling southeast with the wagon. I have to ride ahead with some pace to take care of some business."

Noting the plates of food and goblets filled with drink he continued. "The wagon is outside right now. You are to take it to Barthen's Provisions, a trading post in Phandalin."

Anyone with any insight can tell that he's very excited and can't wait to get going. He hasn't even bothered to order food and drink, something that few dwarves can resist when the opportunity presents itself.

"I am in a bit of a rush," he says, hoping that the hirelings gobble down their food and wash it down with hearty gulps. He places a bag on the table that clinks with coins.

"Your up front money." He says.

ooc: travel is 70-75 miles. Using the new rules, you'll be traveling at normal pace with the wagon. You could move fast or slow too.

Travel table:

Pace Ft/Min Miles/Hr Miles/Day Effect
Fast 400 4 30 -5 to passive wisdom
Normal 300 3 24 none
Slow 200 2 18 Able to use stealth

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 05/09/14 23:52 UTC.
Zeim #737349 Fri 05/09/14 16:55 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

Not what he had been hoping for, but it was the best offer that he had at the moment and the lightness of his purse convinced him to accept the offer. He finished off his ale in one longish gulp and headed out to see what sort of group they would be escorting.

MikeD
Exeter #737362 Fri 05/09/14 19:05 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

He thought about the roads between here and there and the general concerns. He spent most of his time in the wilderness but he knew how to travel on or off road.

The cleric had the right question. Money was all good and well especially if the job was easy, but if it took too long, well that was something different.

Depending upon the answer to the question, if it matches his expectations he agrees to the job.

Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Pande - Answer to that question is in the DM post right above)

Zeim #737411 Fri 05/09/14 21:52 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
Gundren

As everyone agrees and begins to rise, Gundren leads you outside. There you can see a wagon packed with barrels of provisions and with two oxen in a double-yoke in front. There are also two horses there. One is empty and the other holds a late middle-aged warrior who holds the reins of the empty mount.

"Take this wagon along the High Road out of Neverwinter, south. Then turn on the Triboar Trail east towards Phandalin. When you get to Phandalin, take the wagon to Barthen's Provisions & Trading Post in Phandalin and he'll pay you the rest. It should take you about 3 days normal travel to get there. I am going on ahead with Sildar Hallwinter", he nods towards the mounted human warrior. "Me brothers and I have found something big, and I need to get back to them."

With little further ado, he mounts his horse and he and the human ride off out of the city.

(OOC - At this point I need to know how you are traveling. Anyone can sit on the wagon seat and drive. It takes no special skill. The front bench seat can hold 2 pcs. The rest of you can either ride in the back with the barrels and boxes or you can walk. Just tell me your "marching order" and who is in the wagon. Once you have set your traveling order I'll get a new thread up.)

Zeim #737428 Fri 05/09/14 23:32 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

This was getting curiouser and curiouser. All of them for one wagon and no driver ... and then Rockseeker was on his way.

"Does this seem ... 'normal' to any of you", he asked.

MikeD
MikeD #737439 Sat 06/09/14 00:00 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

He had picked up the bag for the walk outside, now standing there looking after the retreating dwarf.

"No, not particularly but we have accepted his gold so we are committed, at least those who agree to come. If you do, come over and I will count out your gold."

KenSeg #737441 Sat 06/09/14 00:05 UTC
Ryssa

She did not like to eat fast and she did not like to be rushed into a decision. Something just didn't strike her as normal about this.

Nevertheless, only moments later it seemed, she was standing outside and the dwarf was about to rush off.

"Nothing about this seems normal to me," she replied to Bern, frowning and slowly shaking her head.

"He wants people he knows and trusts rather than some strangers. But what are we to him but strangers? And all this rush... and what are we to be protecting this from that he would need all five of us?"

Ryssa touched the holy icon which hung on a chain between her breasts and murmured something.

"This is just... odd."

Exeter #737539 Sat 06/09/14 14:06 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He accepted his 'advance' from Balthazar, adds it to his mostly empty pouch and slips that into his pack, That he sets in the wagon, keeping his bow, quiver and rapier. Walking was more his style than riding in a bumpy cart.

"We are not exactly friends, but I have done work for him in the past, so there is some trust between us ... now a bit more strained than it has been", he said with a rueful smile.

He considered the contents of the cart, the lack of a driver and the five of them.

"If I had to guess, I would say we are his 'stalking horse'."

MikeD
MikeD #737567 Sat 06/09/14 16:32 UTC
Ryssa

The cleric moved to the back of the wagon and performed a cursory inspection of its contents.

"I think I will walk... at least for now," she said after a moments reflection.

She turned to Bern, thinking about what he'd said.

"Stalking horse? So we are to be his screen of sorts?"

Exeter #737581 Sat 06/09/14 20:40 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

"Right, while we are traveling their route, I suspect that Rockseeker and his group ... or perhaps others in his employ ... will be watching to see who 'takes the bait'."

MikeD
Exeter #737582 Sat 06/09/14 20:42 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

Looking in the wagon you see it is packed full of mining supplies and food. This includes a dozen sacks of flour, several casks of salted pork, two kegs of strong ale, shovels, picks, and crowbars (about a dozen of each), and 5 Lanterns with a small barrel of oil (about 50 flasks of volume).

Last edited by Zeim; Sat 06/09/14 20:43 UTC.
Zeim #737689 Sun 07/09/14 04:33 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

He accepted his advance and added it to his almost empty pouch. Securing it on his person he adjusted his weapons and prepared to walk along in front of the wagon once they got going.

(OOC: it wasn't answered till after I posted. Thanks for the reference though.)

Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

So:

Lumimorn - walking ahead of the wagon
Ryssa - Walking alongside the wagon
Balthazar - ?
Bern - ?
Lingo - ?

Note again: Anyone can drive. It takes no special skill whatsoever. Room on the front seat for a driver and one passenger.

Zeim #737775 Sun 07/09/14 18:16 UTC
M
M
[[ sorry I wasn't clear that Bern is planning to walk. Maybe we should just lead the horses <weg> ]]

MikeD
MikeD #737778 Sun 07/09/14 18:55 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

He had no problem climbing up into the seat and taking the reins. Someone had to drive the wagon after all. He snorted and made sure that everyone who wanted to ride was on or stored their backpacks on board before he clicked at the animals and shook the reins a bit, indicating to them to start moving.

KenSeg #737804 Sun 07/09/14 20:27 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He moved along as the wagon started moving. Once they were out of town, he would probably move off the road and check ahead or behind as seemed most appropriate.

MikeD
MikeD #737854 Mon 08/09/14 00:30 UTC
Ryssa

Ryssa put her rucksack into the back of the wagon and took up position on the left hand side of the wagon.

Exeter #737963 Mon 08/09/14 13:06 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Just waiting for the DM....... smile where will Lingo be traveling?)

Zeim #737982 Mon 08/09/14 15:22 UTC
Lingo

The halfling will sit in the wagon, riding shotgun. He climbs up easily and slid into the seat, slapping Balthazar on his thigh. "So, you ever drive one of this thingies before?"

Neptune #737985 Mon 08/09/14 15:48 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
Please move to new thread - "Z - 1.1 Goblin Ambush"

Neptune #737986 Mon 08/09/14 15:49 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

He looked over at the Halfling slapping his thigh and sighed internally. This was going to be a long ride.

"Never but the mechanics of it are simple enough. As long as we have roadway to travel, I do not foresee any difficulties. However, if there is trouble you might want to be ready to take the reigns so that I can cast long range spells to soften up any incoming enemies before they get too close."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
nem
nem
GMT 0
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,818
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy