Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Asta, Neptune), 60 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Gypsy #735333 Sat 30/08/14 18:10 UTC
Karok

He gave Jaliera a toothy grin.

"Aye, be glad to lass. I think you and me going to get along well." he added with a chuckle.

Then his attention turned to the other woman.

"I could be up for a game." he said getting up. "Perhaps they play some Three Dragon Ante. Do ye know the game yerself?"

Nivek #735336 Sat 30/08/14 18:13 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She smiles. "Indeed I do." She replies, a bit relieved that someone else would be coming with her in case of trouble. "Shall we see?"

She turns to head over to the other table, calling back to Kriv and Jaliera. "We'll be right there when Gundren shows."

Arriving at the other table, she stops. "Groch? Bom? My name is Kallista, and this is Karok. The barmaid told us you might be interested in a game? My friend likes 3 Dragon Ante. Do you play?"

Last edited by Zeim; Sat 30/08/14 18:33 UTC.
Zeim #735339 Sat 30/08/14 18:25 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She smiles at Karok, feeling that maybe this will all come together after all. She is also torn between going to watch the games, she might learn something, and this new found freedom and independence she has even for a short while begs to be lived - and staying here with Kriv, especially with their meals ordered. She also feels it would be impolite to leave him on his own.

So she nods to Kallista, still unsettled by her but admiring her confidence. Maybe she could learn something from her too?

Not sure what to say to the large dragonborn beside her, she just smiles instead.

Gypsy #735353 Sat 30/08/14 22:04 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

Looking down at the little human woman, he offered her the closest approximation of a kindly smile that a toothy draconic maw could muster.

"So, Jaliera. If we are to be colleagues in whatever scheme the esteemed Gundren has planned, it would make sense for us to be cognisant of each other's abilities, and those of our gambling colleagues in due course. I am something of a student of history, and have been trained in the duties of the nobility as befits my place as heir to Norixius Keep, including the arts of warfare. May I ask what Gundren sees in you?"

AJ #735361 Sat 30/08/14 22:55 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She thinks how well spoken Kriv is. That has certainly surprised her but then given what he has just said, it makes sense.

"I have never met Gundren so I don't expect he sees anything in me.. yet."

She likes that last touch. But then Kriv has been forthcoming with her and so it would be polite to reciprocate.. and professional as she agrees with him that it makes sense; so she elaborates.

"My mentor knows Gundren though. He has been training me for exploration. Warfare is not my speciality but I can use a bow and a rapier. I am quite good at getting into and out of places. I also know history and a number of languages and hope to prove myself useful."

She hopes that sounds confident. It is a question she had been expecting, though from Gundren.

Gypsy #735460 Sun 31/08/14 10:10 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Next to the large, copper-hooded fireplace, a pile of blankets twitched and groaned. Presumably complementary blankets at first glance, now it seemed as though they were occupied.

A grubby old man, Easterly in appearance, crawled out from under the blanket. His long grey hair was unkempted and matted into coils, and his beard was going the same way. His clothes were rough, threadbare and earthy coloured (as in, coloured by dirt).

He looked like a smell.

This was contrasted by a rather fine silk scarf, in bold red and yellow, that he wore around his neck.

Bleary-eyed, he staggered over the table where Kriv and Jaliera sat and collapsed into a chair. He looked at the other two, then sank further into the chair with another groan.

nem #735463 Sun 31/08/14 10:34 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is startled by the appearance of the odd looking old man that has just joined them. And her nose wrinkles. She looks at Kriv with raised eyebrows wondering if this is someone he knows. But maybe the man is hurt?

**If you want to know something, ask the right question.**

Again her mentor's voice sounds in her head.

"Sir? Are you hurt?"

That seems like the right question.

nem #735464 Sun 31/08/14 10:37 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He turned to assess what to all appearances looked like a mendicant vagrant imposing its company upon them, nostril slits narrowing as if to attempt to lessen the affront.

"By what right do you dare claim a place at this table, stranger? By what name are you hight?"

Gypsy #735465 Sun 31/08/14 10:41 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"I gave birth to myself the second time around. It was very painful!" He rasped in reply to Jaliera, looking weakly around the room with bloodshot eyes.

To the Dragonborn, he answered, "Perhaps I dreamt it, but did I not hear the barmaid offering drinks for the thirsty?"

nem #735466 Sun 31/08/14 10:49 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

His black, reptilian eyes narrowed, and he inhaled deeply, angling his head away from the man then moving back in line.

"The barmaid is over there. If your business is with her, then by all means go and carry it out. We will not detain you here."

He looked at Jaliera, his scaled features doing their best to radiate disappointment and a modicum of disapproval at her words.

AJ #735467 Sun 31/08/14 10:59 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

The look from Kriv suggested that she had not asked the right question. Furthermore, the man's response to Kriv's challenge seems to suggest he is either inebriated or delusional.

She is about to challenge his tale, asking how someone could birth themselves and at such a.. late stage in life.. but perhaps she should not try to prolong the conversation any longer as Kriv has already suggested that the man leave.

Gypsy #735469 Sun 31/08/14 11:40 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Sorry, cross-posted with AJ. Edited above and clarified.]

Chandan

His frowned as he tried to focus on the barmaid across the room, as if she perhaps stood on a distant peak, separated by cloud-veiled gulf.

"Yes..." He said unsurely, nodding and wincing to Kriv.

"But you know what I can't stand?" The old vagabond asked anyone.

nem #735526 Sun 31/08/14 14:57 UTC
Neptune Online Content OP
OP Online Content
DM

Kallista and Karok make their way over to the table where Groch and Bom are. The other two people sitting with them, he elven woman and the slick, dark man with the waxed goatee, glance at each other for a moment. With a knowing nod of the head, the man says, "And our gold is not good enough for you to swindle?" he says with a glance over to the elf.

Before anyone else can answer, Bom, the barbarian, grabs a large furry purse and slams it on the table. The purse itself is magnificent looking, made of several different colored furs sewn together expertly. He opens it and with his gigantic hands reaches inside, almost impossibly deep, and pulls out some of the treasure that the bag contains. Gold necklaces and other trickets of glittering gems dangle between the fingers of his gauntlet. He turns his hand palm up and opens it and with his other hand he pushes aside large diamonds and emeralds to select 10 platinum pieces. He clenches his fist again and puts the excess jewelry back into the bag before pushing all of the platinum coins towards the center of the table.

"We will start small," he says.

The half orc smiles broadly revealing his sharp fangs and asks, "So, what is your game?"

Neptune #735548 Sun 31/08/14 15:54 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She smiles at the other two, then replies with a chuckle to the man with the goatee. "No. We will happily swindle your gold as well, if that is your desire. I just wasn't given your name by the barmaid. Or that of your Elven friend?"

She turns her head as the Barbarian rifles through his pouch, eyes widening slightly at what it contains. When he pulls out several platinum pieces and plunks them down, she stops reaching for the chair back. "I fear that I", she glances at Karok to see if he disagrees, "have not been as fortunate in my recent dealings as you clearly have. I can play for Silvers. Platinum is a bit out of my reach."

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 31/08/14 16:16 UTC.
Zeim #735558 Sun 31/08/14 16:11 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He considered the vagabond's words before replying, biting back on his own.

"I am tempted to answer that question, but none of the answers I would give would amount to more than derogatory slurs as to your appearance and demeanour. As such, I advise you to seek out those who would give you a fairer answer elsewhere, or who would give ear to your own."

AJ #735566 Sun 31/08/14 16:39 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

It might have been a few years ago now but she could remember when she was alone and on the streets, probably not looking much better than this man.. well probably not as bad.. but she does have some sympathy. However she doesn't feel that she should counter Kriv's authority.

As she looks at the scruffy man, she raises her eyebrows and shrugs slightly, looking at least apologetic.

Gypsy #735574 Sun 31/08/14 17:09 UTC
Neptune Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Barmaid
She heads to the back and comes out with two large plates with vegetables piled high atop sliced mutton, servings worthy of the steep price, and brings them over to Jaliera and Kriv and places them down on the table. Steam rises from the plates.

"I picked out some rare pieces for you sir. I hope it's seasoned to your liking."

She looks over to the vagabond for a moment. He didn't look like he belonged with the other two but then she snapped out of whatever line of thinking she was having and asked, "Did I hear you are waiting for Rockseeker? Which one?"

Gypsy #735576 Sun 31/08/14 17:27 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"I would, but I can't stand."

He makes a grumbling, groaning sound in the back of his throat -- a sort of laboured sigh -- and for a moment it looks as though he might be in danger of expiring right there at the table.

The barmaid's timely attendence perks the smelly old man up though.

"I once spoke with Gundren Rockseeker on the side of a mountain. That day he waited on me. Today I wait on him.

"Do you sell wine by the flagon?"

Neptune #735578 Sun 31/08/14 17:29 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He diverted his attention from the disreputable stranger to the barmaid, and nodded his approbation to her.

"Thank you kindly, your efforts are appreciated. And you are correct, the lady and I, together with our two associates over there, are indeed waiting for someone of that name. Has the gentleman in question left a message?"

AJ #735579 Sun 31/08/14 17:46 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

As Kriv talks to the barmaid, she smells the aromas coming from the plate with appreciation. The portion size is somewhat on the large size for her. Then she listens as the scruffy man speaks again.

"Are you here to see Mr Rockseeker too?"

She cannot quite keep the surprise from her voice. Then she recovers herself to ask again.

"Sir, you say you can't stand - are you injured?"

She is puzzled because surely he walked over here in the first place?

Gypsy #735586 Sun 31/08/14 18:42 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

Draconic faces, by their nature, tend to be less expressive than mammalian ones, as scaled skin lacks the flexibility of the soft flesh common to most of the civilised races. With that in mind, it was nonetheless impossible to disguise the look of stunned disbelief that crossed the Nobleman's face as the mendicant named their patron.

"Oh, Gundren Rockseeker, what have you gotten yourself into?"

He leaned forward, massaging his temples with his right hand, and then looked at the vagabond, his tone edged with exceedingly reluctant contrition.

"I do wish you had said that you were waiting for him earlier, that would have saved us a great deal of trouble. I accept that any personal preferences are overruled by Gundren's intent in this regard, so by all means, be welcome at this table. I hight Kriv Norixius: What name are you known by?"

AJ #735605 Sun 31/08/14 19:39 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She shrugs and turns to Karok. "Guess we need to find a game we can better afford."

Turning back, she returns to the table with Jaliera and Kriv, noting their new companion. "So, I see you've found a new friend Jali." She says, shortening the girl's name. "Or is this Kriv's buddy?"

She sidles up to Chandan, "My name is Kallista, though you may call me 'Despair'. My dwarf friend is Karok." As she reaches the man, the unwashed odor reaches her and she takes a step back. "Where have you been?" She asks.

Zeim #735618 Sun 31/08/14 20:37 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"I am Chandan." He answers Kriv, nodding in polite if shaky greeting. Then likewise to Jaliera, Despair and the not-Gundren dwarf, Karok.

"Old bones need oil for walking." Chandan says to the Calimshite girl with a cherubic smile.

"I have been in Katakoro Shan. Now I am here, as are you. We are the birds, and in Gundren Rockseeker's beard is our roost."

nem #735623 Sun 31/08/14 20:56 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is a bit relieved that Kriv is now talking to the old man. Chandan might not be fully right in the head but he seems pleasant enough and also might be their companion if Gundren hires them all. Then the others come back and their table is feeling crowded.

She withdraws a little, deciding that she should eat her food whilst it is hot, though she does make occasional eye contact and is obviously listening to the others as her eyes follow the conversation.

Gypsy #735629 Sun 31/08/14 21:37 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He held off on trying to puzzle through the obfuscating metaphors of the stinking mendicant, turning instead to his meal and ale, fastidiously eating with an etiquette more often seen at a polite society banquet than a tavern repast.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Neptune
Neptune
New City,NY,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,803
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy