Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (AJ, Miales), 52 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#734860 Fri 29/08/14 02:56 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The Driftwood Tavern in Neverwinter is both an inn and tavern that caters mainly to longtime locals. Madame Rosene takes pride in having kept its doors open since before the Spellplague. When the cataclysm struck, innkeeper Madame Rosene, a serious woman now in her late fifties, sheltered refugees within her walls. The Driftwood offered people a makeshift city hall and gathering place during the troubled years.

[Linked Image]

Madame Rosene and her regulars have filled the inside of the tavern with bric-a-brac, curios, and relics of Neverwinter before its fall. The statue from a favorite fountain stands in a corner. A wineseller’s planter boxes, filled with flowers, brighten the walls. A knob and a knocker from a noble’s estate are attached to the privy door. Ornate doors pulled from the wreckage make fine tables; unbroken panes of stained glass hang overhead as chandeliers, lit by hundreds of carefully placed candles. Though the decorations have been salvaged from all over the city, the tavern does not feel junky, and no one thinks Madame Rosene is taking advantage of Neverwinter’s fall. Quite the opposite—the Driftwood is considered a monument to old Neverwinter, like a dusty painting of a beautiful girl hanging above the deathbed of an aged noblewoman.

Prices for room and board at the tavern are high. The atmosphere is one of quiet reflection, rather than boisterous merriment. The Mintarn mercenaries stay away, preferring to eat and drink at the Moonstone Mask or some other cheaper place. Visitors to the city stop at the Driftwood to marvel at the museum of objects, or to learn about old Neverwinter from Madame Rosene for the (expensive) price of a drink and a meal.

You have been asked to meet up with Gundren Rockseeker here. Gundren is a dwarf and a friend. He has promised you work.

[Linked Image]
Madame Rosene is engaged in an animated discussion with a turbaned, Calishite merchant sitting at the bar. A few stools over are a pair of middle-aged humans. The larger of the two is wearing beige satin robes and the smaller man, who is bald, is wearing dark pants with a matching vest that covers all but the collar and arms of his white shirt. Both look well to do. The bartender serving them is a large, serious man - the type you want on your side in a brawl. A pair of tieflings, a man and a women, are drinking together at the far end of the bar and they're talking to a bubbly barmaid. Six common-folk eating at the big dining table. They seem to be by themselves, people who came in for a quiet, midday repast. Sitting in a far corner of the taproom are four people drinking with vigor. One's a pretty elven woman, a remarkable looking bow rests against the table and a quiver is strapped to her back. A tall, thin wearing a black velvet robe sits opposite her, his black goatee is waxed to a point. To his left is a giant-sized man with long blond hair held away from his face by a brass circlet. He's wearing fur pelts and has a battle axe that's nearly as large as the half-orc that rounds out the table. The half-orc is wearing black leather armor that is darker than the night. He has no readily visible weapons.

Into this scene several people wander in...

A dragonborn, a dwarf, a human, a half-elf and a tiefling. They all come in within a few moments of each other. It's as if they were all told to be here at the same time.

Neptune #734919 Fri 29/08/14 12:28 UTC
[Linked Image]
Karok Battlehammer

He'd been surprised at Gundren's request to meet. He of course knew him well, but they haven't spoken in a while. He suspected something of import. The words from the messenger had not sounded like a meeting for drinks.

Karok like most dwarves was stocky, standing barely 4' tall, weighing close to 200 pounds in his armor and as always carrying his battlehammer and shield with the symbol of his God emblazoned on it. His blue eyes scanned the room, his long blond beard swinging from side to side.

If he saw Gundren, he'd stride to him and take a seat, if not, he'd take a seat at a table away from others and wait.

[ooc: Will add a greeting if he's there]

Nivek #734930 Fri 29/08/14 13:03 UTC
AJ Online Content
Online Content
[Linked Image]

Kriv Norixius

The massive figure of a Dragonborn strode into the inn, ducking carefully beneath the lintel. He wore an elegant suit of chainmail, masterfully crafted in imitation of the golden-gleaming scales which formed his reptilian skin. His eyes, nominally black, reflected the candlelight from the gleaming stained-glass ersatz chandelier above as they swept the room, seeking the Dwarf to whom all who bore the name Norixius owed so much.

He strode into the main body of the inn, moving with the coldly assured confidence of old nobility. An ornate signet ring gleamed on one of his thickset, taloned fingers, and at his back was scabbarded a massive hammer intended for battle.

There was little about his emotional state to be read from the scales of his face, but he did seem to radiate a cold disdain as he looked across the passel of humans, tieflings and singular species inhabiting the room. Not seeing the one who had sounded the call, he took up a position with lines of sight to interior and exterior doors, and set to patiently waiting for Gundren Rockseeker.

AJ #734950 Fri 29/08/14 13:59 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

[Linked Image]

She steps into the inn, immediately sidestepping away from the door and she stands and scans the room, noting each person and their relative positions. She could easily be overlooked with her slim build and five feet two height, especially as her dusky skin and leather armour tend to blend into the background. Only her bright green eyes move as she looks around.

Further examination may reveal a rapier at her belt and the top of a quiver and a bow peeking up above one shoulder, although they are dwarfed by the backpack, looking large with bedroll and rope attached to the outside.

Her scan of the room has only revealed one dwarf and she sets off in his direction. One might be forgiven for expecting her equipment to impede her movement but either she is used to it or has a natural balance as her progress across the floor has a graceful flow.

She makes her way over to Karok, standing before him.

"Are you Mr Gundren Rockseeker Sir?"

Her voice, though mostly sounding local, has a trace of accent that suggests origins further afield. It is also a little breathy, maybe with excitement or nerves.

Gypsy #734960 Fri 29/08/14 14:14 UTC
Karok Battlehammer

While waiting for a serving girl, he saw the slip of a girl approach him. He eyes her speculatively, raising an eyebrow when she asks for Gundren.

*Interesting.* he thinks. He did not expect anyone other than himself to be meeting his friend.

"I am not, but I am waiting for him." he rumbles his voice deep.

"Sit lass. We shall wait for him together if you don't mind my company."

"Ahh forgive my manners" he said standing and offering a bow.

"Karok Battlehammer."

Despite her size, she was at least a foot taller than he was.

Nivek #734971 Fri 29/08/14 14:28 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She smiles at him, looking a little more at ease, and she shrugs off her pack, setting it down beside her as she takes a seat.

"Thank you Karok. I am Jaliera Kassan."

Her leg slides out from the table and she threads it through her backpack for safe-keeping. Her fingers lightly tap out a rhythm on the table top as she steals glances at her companion.

"Are you hiring on for this job too?"

She manages to find something to say.

Nivek #734976 Fri 29/08/14 14:34 UTC
AJ Online Content
Online Content
Kriv Norixius

The name of the honoured dwarf, spoken clearly and nearby. His eyes fixed themselves on the speaker as fast as a viper, taking in the other dwarf as he, too, spoke up. It seemed that the debt of Norixius Keep was not the only marker called in by their ally this day.

He was over by the Dwarf's table in a handful of strides, and perhaps surprisingly, bowed deeply and with courtly grace to the two people present.

His voice was a deep, gravelly bass, but his words had the impeccable erudition of expensive tutelage.

"I beg your pardon, but I could not help but overhear mention of one Gundren Rockseeker. As I am here at the behest of that selfsame individual, I wonder if I might have the honour of your company as we await his presence? I hight Kriv Norixius, of Norixius Keep."

AJ #734986 Fri 29/08/14 14:51 UTC
Karok

He shrugged.

"I know nothing of what he wishes. He is an old friend. I had hoped it was nothing more than to catch up on news. It seems it was not." he said eyes suddenly moving to look past Jaliera, his hand moving to the hilt of his battlehammer.

He let it go slowly when the Dragonborn bowed and spoke surprisingly eloquently.

Like he had done for Jaliera, he rose and bowed slghtly, looking up at the towering figure.

"Karok Battlehammer. And yes, sit yerself down so I don't have to crane my neck looking up at you as we wait."

"It seems my friend has been busy." he said waving a thick hand at a serving girl.

Nivek #735014 Fri 29/08/14 15:40 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is aware of someone moving closer even as Karok's eyes move, her ears already alerted by steps drawing closer. Her head swivels first around and then up as the fierce looking Dragon warrior stands beside her. Karok's initial reaction had been to lay a hand on his weapon; Jaliera is more inclined to duck under the table as she shies away from the dragonborn.

That is until he speaks, which seems to put Karok at his ease also.

The words of her mentor are clear in her mind.

**Never judge a book by its covers**

"I am Jaliera Hassan."

She manages a faint smile and her voice doesn't really quaver. She is glad that she hasn't had to face Kriv alone. She has to set aside her fears and any preconceived ideas because her whole future depends on doing a good job here.

Nivek #735021 Fri 29/08/14 15:48 UTC
AJ Online Content
Online Content
Kriv

The Dragonborn lowered himself into a chair, mitigating the height differential but perhaps not quite as much as might be hoped. He inclined his head to the human female as she gave her own name, then answered the Dwarf's statement.

"Very. His name is honoured amongst my people, for we owe him much. I won't be going into too much detail in that regard, but suffice it to say that my services here to him, whatever they may be, I count as paid for many times over."

AJ #735070 Fri 29/08/14 17:56 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

[Linked Image]

A woman enters the bar shortly behind some of the other recent arrivals. She pauses in the entryway, glancing around the room. She is dark and exotic looking and she has a slight sardonic smile on her face as if she knows something others do not.

Her head turns as her ears catch a name, repeated more than once, from a certain area of the bar and she moves, well saunters is the best word for it, in that direction.

Sliding up to the small group containing a dwarf, human female, and a dragonborn she slips up next to the girl, one hand lightly touches the girl's arm, trailing lightly down her forearm as she offers a smile. Her voice, when it comes is a sibilant, throaty whisper.

"My pardon good people. I thought I heard the name of someone I seek mentioned here among you. Are you looking for Gundren Rockseeker as well?"

Something seems to move oddly behind her, and it is only at this moment those turning to face her can see the tail curling around her leg, not to mention the small horns jutting from her forehead.

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 29/08/14 18:20 UTC.
Zeim #735071 Fri 29/08/14 18:01 UTC
Karok

He noticed the woman approaching and his eyes nearly bulged. As she introduced herself he was heard muttering under his breath.

"Ahh Gundren, what have you get yerself into my friend."

Then to the woman, he waved a hand dismissively.

"Aye, that we are. Join us. It is not like him to be late."

"I am Karok Battlehammer." he said looking warily down her leg where he spotted the movement.

Nivek #735120 Fri 29/08/14 20:06 UTC
AJ Online Content
Online Content
Kriv

He turned at the sound of the fresh approach, and then just sat there, still, eyes taking in the new arrival, devilish horns down to wickedly animate tail. He held position like that for a number of heartbeats, and then simply shrugged.

"If Gundren Rockseeker is your vouchsafe, I'll not gainsay him. Be welcome, we shall await our ally together. Know me as Kriv Norixius, of Norixius Keep."

AJ #735126 Fri 29/08/14 20:16 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Another person joins their group, this one even more unsettling that Kriv but in an entirely different way, especially the intimacy of that touch from a stranger. The shiver is involuntary.

The first two she met both gave their names but the newcomers has yet to do so, so for now she stays quiet.

Gypsy #735132 Fri 29/08/14 20:30 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She chuckles at the shiver she can feel through her fingertips. "Shy one, aren't you? I like the shy ones."

Turning to the others she replies. "Karok, Kriv", her head tips at the speaking of each name in a sort of formalized recognition. "My name is Kallista, but you can call me 'Despair' if you like."

She looks back at Jaliera with a grin. "Come on little one. I don't bite....., much. What is your name?"

Zeim #735149 Fri 29/08/14 21:03 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The barmaid didn't seem to notice the newcomers and that triggers a throat clearing from Madame Rosene. The barmaid then seems to notice the new customers, excuses herself from the conversation with the tiefling couple and moves with exaggerated haste towards the dragonborn, dwarf, human and tiefling.

"Hi!"

She raises her right palm and waves it quickly, looking rather silly. Then as if that wasn't enough, she follows it with a childish giggle. She didn't look like any child, though. She was all woman and she seemed to know it.

"You're new! Welcome, welcome! What can I get you all? Food or just drink? We've got some tasty mutton today! Can I temp you?"

Neptune #735163 Fri 29/08/14 22:37 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

This.. woman unsettles her. She is not sure how she should respond but if she is going to be working with these people she should at least be polite and professional.

She is about to answer and then the barmaid arrives. She is not sure what to say to her either. Are the others eating here? Who is going to pay? Do they each pay for their own.

Best to wait to see what the others do. This place might be expensive.

So instead she turns to Kallista, assuming that the 'Despair' name she offered was just for effect. Who would have a name like Despair anyway?

"I am Jaliera Kassan."

She nods politely.

Gypsy #735168 Fri 29/08/14 23:26 UTC
AJ Online Content
Online Content
Kriv

As the barmaid approaches, he watches her approach, weighing her words.

"I could go for the mutton. That, and an ale good enough to get me recommending this place to those I favour. And I'd like the mutton rare, if you please."

AJ #735173 Fri 29/08/14 23:51 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

"Jaliera", she repeats, with the same formalized nod of the head. She says the name as if she is tasting it. She hasn't used, or even repeated, anyone's last name, and she did not offer one for herself.

"Nice to meet you." The yellow cat-like eyes linger on her.

The barmaid's arrival causes her to turn her attention that way, and away from Jaliera.

"Just a glass of wine for me, thank you." She says to the barmaid.

Glancing around the room she muses softly, though out loud, "I don't suppose there are any takers for a game of Wizards and Wenches?" Wizards and Wenches being a fairly scandalous card game that can be played in a 'tame' version simply for money, or in it's most disreputable version that can include extremely personal acts of all sorts.

Zeim #735181 Sat 30/08/14 00:06 UTC
Karok

He could see how the horned one was affecting the young girl. It was none of his business, at least not yet, so he let it go.

"Ale for me lass." he said deciding to pass on the mutton for now.

He chuckled at the mention of the game.

"Not me. Not me kind of game."

Nivek #735190 Sat 30/08/14 00:38 UTC
AJ Online Content
Online Content
Kriv

Looking at the Tiefling, his scaled face betraying little if any emotion, he deadpanned, with the merest hint of disdain in his voice,

"You're right, I don't suppose there are."

AJ #735266 Sat 30/08/14 10:38 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She listens to the others give their orders considering what she might order for herself, and how much it was likely to cost. She has no idea what this game is that Kallista is suggesting but suspects that she wouldn't like it; besides this is surely not a time for games?

She wants to be accepted by this disparate group, wants to be liked but not at the expense of being something she is not. Either they accept her or they don't.

"How much is the mutton stew please?"

Gypsy #735277 Sat 30/08/14 12:38 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Barmaid

"The mutton is eight silvers but it comes with a healthy serving of roast vegetables and a pitcher of the finest ale north of Waterdeep."

She turns to Kallista and says, "Would the house wine be to your liking? I've not heard any complaints about it. We do have some fine wines but those are all sold by the bottle."

"Oh, and if it's a game of chance you seek, Groch and Bom over there have been known to enjoy those." She indicates the half-orc and the barbarian at the table in the corner. "One thing, they are not good losers. They seem in a good mood today however. They've just returned after being away for a tenday. Word is they cleared out a fire giant lair at Mount Hotenow and now they seem to have extra gold that wants to burn a hole in their coin pouches."

Neptune #735301 Sat 30/08/14 15:30 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Eight silvers is a lot to her but a hot meal would be good. She doesn't know what will be happening; maybe they'll leave from here or maybe she will go home after the meeting. Either way she will miss a meal.

"Yes please, I will take the stew."

And whilst she is communicating she turns to the dwarf.

"Would you buy a second ale from me for a silver?"

It will offset the cost and as she doesn't touch alcohol, it is no loss to her.

Gypsy #735324 Sat 30/08/14 17:39 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

"House wine", she replies, then glances to the other table. "Anyone want to come gamble a bit with me?" She asks those present. "No telling how long until Gundren shows up."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gryphon
Gryphon
California
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,813
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy