Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Asta), 65 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll harken back to 1st edition. The Paladin had more "stat" requirements than any other class - including a 17 charisma! The only stat that they didn't have a requirement for was dex. So, conceptually, I understand why you would dump dex. But Dex also is needed for range attacks, initiative rolls and armor class - all of them important for a fighter type. Intelligence might be a better dump because it's primarily about knowledge and arcane/wizard type magic. Paladins draw magical power from wisdom.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
As much as a PC loves to have Stealth, and as a Knight of the Wood, or something like that, he would need that skill. I can't take all that he has to be at 1st level. So some spots will have holes.

The trick is what numerically (because I am a math head and that is how I roll) works out most advantageous. I like the two 16s but that forces an 8 someplace as well as giving up the 12.

I know that the character will level given time but it isn't likely to be too fast and attribute bumps are far apart.

Haven't got to the skill section in the PHB yet. It seems a different sort of organization, no "here is the summary" section. Maybe I just haven't found it yet. But no matter I will work through it.

Honestly if I looked at 4 skills without regard to the backgrounds etc... I think Athletics, Survival (both given by Outlander, why I picked it), Stealth and Insight. Though someplace I would love to see Nature in his mix. Instead of Medicine. But I can live without Stealth, heavy armor and all that. Insight and the first two he can have. So all I have to figure out is Nature at some point.

Last edited by Pandemonium; Sat 23/08/14 22:37 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
How does one get other skills, at level 1 or higher?

AJ Offline
Part of background, class or race.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Since I'll be playing too, I should say what it is I'm playing. I'll be playing a halfling rogue (arcane trickster).

The roster as I think it is so far....

AJ: Fighter (Eldritch Knight) Dragonborn
Nivek: Cleric Dwarf
Gypsy: Rogue Human
MikeD: Ranger Human
Zeim: Warlock Tiefling
Pande: Paladin Dragonborn
Kenseg: Bard/Wizard
Mina: TBD
Exeter: Cleric Human
Neptune: Rogue (Arcane Trickster) Halfling

I'm taking a -8 in Dex, wearing Heavy armor though and going to make so much noise that there will be no stealth smile

M
M
I am going in the other party <weg>

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
LOL. -8 dex means that surprise will be rare. He might as well wear a helmet that glows and put bells on his toes wink

if they add to wisdom or strength, I'll take them smile

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
All in all looks like it'll be pretty easy to put two balanced parties together. Especially if Mina likes Wizards.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
I posted my character sheet in the gallery as the text for the picture. The format I used was stolen from Nivek's. I thought it was simple and clear. There's no reason to hide your sheets. Remove anything you think is "private" for your DM and PM him (when you find out who it is).

If you have a more elaborate format, like a filled in PDF, post that instead. No problem-o.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
I posted a text version of my character sheet in the gallery. Please people with more familiarity take a look and see if it is done correctly. As always with a first foray things might go awry.
Thanks

AJ Offline
I just eyeballed mine on notepad. I'll append to the gallery.

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Okay, put me in the non LE group please grin

Leave the evil buggers to kill each other off.

AJ Offline
Don't worry, backstabbing other party members is clearly and explicitly banned. I suspect the LE folk are just going to be greedy, unscrupulous, willing to kill every being outside of civilised areas that try to get in the party's way. You know, adventurers.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Wow I didn't even look at the algnments. I created a Paladin you know LG. This particular one is a encourager of the light, believe in life and goodness. He is so going to die a short death if in the LE party, even if they do agree on Law.

AJ Offline
As per the Adventurer's League rules:

No Undermining of Other Characters During
Adventures.
Adventurers are brought together by
common cause, and during an adventure, they’re
expected to work together to overcome challenges.
Though certain factions might find others distasteful,
individuals will put that aside and become a team when
put in dangerous situations. In short, play nice with each
other when things get deadly.

You'll be fine. The same thing that prevents your guy smiting my guy prevents my guy stabbing yours: We're in this together come what may despite any personal misgivings.

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Yeah except unless they have changed the rules a Paladin can't associate with an evil character. Haven't really read up on that recently but that is definitely how I would play a LG paladin.

"Don't worry Pally, you can hang out with my wizard smile

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OK. Here's a fact. Zeim and I are both <ahem> Zhentarim so there's no "evil" party and no party devoid of an "evil" presence. I know that my PC leans to the criminal side of neutral. Is he going to commit murder? Will he rape and pillage? Is he going to torture innocent children? No. Will he feel guilty about lying to a guard to get past him? Maybe, but he'll get over it. Will he roll loaded dice in a game of chance? Yes, because the ends justifies the means, until he gets caught.

The ultra good (read goody two-shoes paladins and clerics) might find it a particular challenge to try and help him and other lost souls like him repent for his sins and show him the way. While they're doing that he might be palming the coin from their collection plates.

In Adventurer League play the 5 factions (including the mostly evil Zhentarim) are unifying to keep the Cult of the Dragon from succeeding. Consider it a roleplaying challenge to work with those who have lesser morals.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Ken,

Paladins are not prohibited from associating with evil people. The fact that you (metagaming) know a PC's alignment does not trigger your PC's Divine Sense (detect evil). That's reserved for demons, devils, desecrated areas and undead.

Also from the Adventure's League
Allowed Alignments

D&D Adventurers League play focuses on creating a welcoming, fun environment. Though we recognize that most players are able to portray characters who run a wide range of motivations, we’ve decided to restrict alignment choices to keep groups from becoming too self-destructive. The following alignments are not allowed in the D&D Adventurers League:

• Neutral evil
• Chaotic evil

In addition, the following alignment is restricted to Lords’ Alliance or Zhentarim faction characters only:

• Lawful evil

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
What can I say, old school here. smile

Yeah I saw all those Zentarim's. Will be fun, especially with some of the background traits I have.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
There is a reason why most of my games, DnD or otherwise don't have alignments anymore. wink

M
M
Depends on your view of the 'lawful' part of LE Nep <weg>

As for LG 'consorting' with LE, how are you supposed to help them see the error of the path they have chosen, and so get them onto the correct one Ken? Why you have to lead by example <weg>

In the end, alignment plays a part in giving your character direction ... just like the 'ideal', the 'bond' and the 'flaw' that you select as part of your background help with that sort of thing.

MikeD
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Hey, that is the paladin and cleric's problem. I am a wizard. As long as they don't mess with my spell book or any scrolls or wands we find, I am cool. If they do, they are toast grin

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Neptune
Neptune
New City,NY,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,803
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy