Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jongleur, AquaDyne), 65 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#668607 Sat 22/06/13 18:12 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
The Highland Path
Highside, West of Silk Creek Ravine
approaching Noon
Hasday the Twenty-first Day of Horse

Daxia, Darian, Mikal, Jankin, Dean, Cesare, Kadri ... Morning Star, Longtooth, Kay and Romana

... inside the tavern.

The rustle ... the bustle ... the packing.

Of all the morning's tasks this is the most straightforward. It was not as if they had been planning on staying more than the night and most folk's gear was ready to be taken up for what should have been an easy morning's walk. Longtooth obediently followed Darian as she vanished up the stairs and emptied her and Cesare's room. Indeed, not as if the Rhoni had much to pack in the first place - his life was the trail and what was his was what could be always easily carried ... always ready to walk upon the waves of the world.

While below, within, the tavern the stunned Dayallan barely nibbled at her cheese, at her bread.

"I ... I ... I may only be a farm girl. But I .... I can stand on my own two feet."

She looked down, as if to count, to make sure she was right.

"Lily ... Lily-kins said ... we can't be any one's responsibility but our own. In the end our sisters judge us.

" ... hurt, frustration, war, telling folks who lived and who died. Rescuing, breakin' curses, herding slinks ...

"Funny."

There was nothing funny in her shell-shocked tones.

"Funny. that ... that was what Lily-kins always said about leading the Temple Guard."

She'd then look up to Daxia, her head tilting.

"How come I still know you talk to much?"

But then, at the end, she'd just nod and swallow, carefully wrapping up a bit of the bread and cheese to tuck into her simple sable and silver surcoat, tucked right above her long tongued black belt. Her answer that of a common farmer's daughter.

"Yes ma'am ..."

Sweeping her hand then across the wooden table she sends the crumbs flying. She then looks across to Cesare, her nos wrinkling a bit.

"Where is the Rhoni lass. The one who had the cards? Did she ... did she live? Is that why the Gardener did not let us have our cards read, because we might have been able to see what would be coming?

"Did we lose to the East? Is that why there's so little of us?

"Is that why this place feels so ... empty?"

But it is to Kadri that her last question calls, following her as the short woman turns towards the stairs.

"There is one question ...

"How come I think you'll tell me straight, without wrapping it in gems and silk and fanciness ...

"Where are you taking me?

"Where ,,,, are ... uhm ... you ... us ... we ... you ... going?"

For Kadri's task, she found it equally easy. For a fine and fancy princess Romana had very little. A makeshift duffle with a simple sling strap; already stuffed with a couple of tunics, an oiled leather pouch for dyes and a second, smaller leather pouch that jangled a bit - perhaps filled with coins or other small objects.

... outside the tavern.

The collection of rope was rather straightforward. Between Jankin and Mikal ... and then, a little while later, Daxia's return from the tavern ... there was more than enough to reach all the way down to the rocks so far below. The trio did not go unwatched. From across the bridge came the slow sound of hoofbeats - a horse wandering back all on its own. It was sturdy, familiar, and it was doing what horses do best, meandering its way back to the makeshift building that served as an open barn. Dean's horse didn't seem to worry to much for the rescue - instead it looked to the water trough and a partially open bag of grain.

They were watched by another hose, this one tied in a simple stall. A rather grumpy looking black horse with a bright white star on its forehead.

Between the three ... actually four, the fourth being the third horse present, Talia, their eastern princess had been brought up - not without a few rough bumps, a few unfortunate bounces - the exact opposite of a cat in a tree.

" ... how comes going up is a whole lot harders than goings down ..."

Though Romana had barely enough time to tuck long white and distinctively eastern locks up into her floppy hat before the others finished and emptied the tavern Perhaps it was a bit of luck that Kay came last and hopefully did not see slender pointed ears get hidden at the very last heartbeat.

... along the ravine.

This length of the highland path followed the very edge of the ravine, winding this way and that, all bound towards Grand Talantal and points further west. It was familiar territory for Mikal, for he knew, off to their right were the lands of Brockman's Holdfast. North and east of them, of course, the Highside rose even further, until it reached the Highest tarn upon whose rock cliff shore stood Montague Keep.

On the other hand, their passage could be clearly marked; regular honey marble milestones were set at the side of the trail.

Every now and then one might see a farmhouse - or the rising smoke from a chimney of a farmhouse hidden beneath stone, trees or hill - off to the side of the trail; as if crossing the ravine brought one into a more populous land.

This also proved true as the sun reached noon, as She looked down from her highest.

In general, the path had been slowly climbing, almost imperceptible, well, until one looked back over their shoulder and saw the path where they had been fall off behind. Their loose caravan had stretched a bit, some on horse, some not. And while it was an amorphous tranking a few things were sure. Kay trudged silently alongside Daxia and Morning Star and Romana followed at the very end - or at least several horse lengths behind Kay.

Come noon ...

Ahead they saw the Half Day's Out tavern. It was large and sprawling, set on the very edge of the ravine with a balcony overlooking the river so far below. Two stories, there was an obvious commons, a separate home for the innkeeper, a large barn for horses and a well out front - or something that served as a well. There was a windmill towering over all, its slow four blades catching the breeze that ripped along the sharp chasm, managing som manner of lift or pump to bring water up from so far below.

And it was crowded.

There were many wagons clustered about the lawn in front where the trail passed, and around all milled merchants and their teamsters and their guard.

There was all manner of livery; many of the guards wearing distinctive surcoats. But amidst them all could be seen the purples on Talantal, demanding the best of places and the most prompt of servitude.

Nearby there were also buckboards that barely held the weight of their cargo - the wheels tilted underneath the strain. These were covered in tarpulins cast in many shades of gray.

They probably carried quarry stone.

Wolf #668608 Sat 22/06/13 18:13 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
[[ooc note: feel free to pose anywhere between the Lone Pine Inn and the approach to the new tavern. I'm flexible.]]

Wolf #668615 Sat 22/06/13 21:43 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
KAdri:

Her response to Kay is quite simple.

"... I'm not honestly sure. I just know that we aren't about to leave you behind. That is what having friends means."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He had replied to Kay as best he was able but that wasn't much.

"Didn't see a Rhoni lass.."

He might have asked her some questions if he had. Honestly though, so much of last night was a blur, especially the first part where he was confused as to what was happening and really want to be out of it. The second part is much clearer in his mind. Hot fetid breath, vicious eyes, people dying around them, expecting to be next.. the only comfort is that he would go before Darian.. and nearly did.

"..and no idea who won."

On the hunt and so intent on staying alive, it had been difficult to focus on anything else.

And did it matter who won? Victories are only temporary, life always comes back full circle given enough time.

All in all he is glad to be back on the trail despite the discomfort. Walking reminds him he is still alive and travelling is always safer than staying still.

Eventually they reach the inn where they planned to stop. He is surprised at the number of people amassed there. As they were earlier in the day than most travellers would have stopped, he would have thought many more would arrive after them, if indeed that many were on the road. Perhaps there is a problem?

Gypsy #668642 Sun 23/06/13 15:54 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She returned with her pack and Cesare's as well, helping him to don it. As was her custom, she spoke very little, but on the trail to the next inn she stayed to the road and was not wandering beside it. Even with her pack, her bow was carried, and her cloak thrown back away from her quiver should she need to draw quickly.

She watched all about them with her keen eyes, and every pass made an assessment of her two closest companions, Longtooth and Cesare. She did not want them to become Prey...

As they came to the Half Day Out Tavern, she drew up short and searched out another of their companions.

"Mikal."

Even more now than on the trail, she was alert and wary.

Gypsy #668643 Sun 23/06/13 15:56 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

Finally underway he breathes a sigh of relief as they turn a final corner and the inn disappears from view. As they travel, his gaze often drifts to their right, his expression growing more and more introspective.

When Kay begins to ask her myriad of questions, he moves closer and glances at Daxia before answering some.

"Daxia should be able to tell you the history of the Dayallans since the Battle of Silk Creek Bridge, which we won by the way, through a combination of the heroism and noble sacrifice of your Sisterhood and a grand charge by the Knights of Roth. The East has retreated back over the mountains. The Gardener and his people are no more. In fact they are not well thought of any longer and it is dangerous to be suspected to be one of them."

He glances around. "The place is empty because we are at peace, generally. No huge armies marching about. Always some raiding and clashes between opponents. And there is always oppression", his gaze flicks northwards, "but nothing on the scale you have seen."

He pauses a moment, then asks, "When I talked to you earlier you said I did not look like a Kh'lhy'ran Princess. What did you mean?"

(OOC - Ividia, our posts crossed. Was hoping to finish the conversation with Kay on the road before replying to Darian as we reach the inn?)

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 23/06/13 15:59 UTC.
Zeim #668647 Sun 23/06/13 17:38 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She walked the Highland Path beside Morning Star... between him and Kay for the most part.

Some of Kay’s questions had been easy to answer. How come I still know you talk too much? That had gotten a laugh from the redhead. “Because I do? Well, according to nearly everyone I’ve ever met, and every one of the Unicorns,” she said with a shrug. “Seems to me, that for ME, I talk the right amount. Few agree.”

She looked at Kadri with a mischievous smile. “I do miss your betrothed, Kadri. Dominie didn’t seem to mind.”

“The Rhoni lass? Oh, I’d say it would be a good bet to say the Gardener wouldn’t let her read your cards for that very reason. And did she live?” Daxia smiled at Kay. “She said her name was Akemi, and if I understand Rhoni names, she is possibly the ancestress of your cousins here in this time. Their mother is Madoka kha’Ayanna kha’Kame kha’Chikato khal’Homura Akemi... who married Thomas Koromov.” She paused and glanced at Cesare, where he walked at Darian’s side. “Thomas died trying to save a child many years ago. Madoka’s fate is still uncertain; she tried once again to save the child, who is now a young woman, and finally succeeded in saving her.”

She was quiet for a good many paces, and glanced over her shoulder once to those who followed. “And then I and my group rescued the young woman on the Brementown Road from those who wanted to recapture her.” Again, Daxia was silent for three fullhand paces or more. “Although I had some rather mixed emotions about it in the first handful or two, I have never regretted that act.”

When Mikal answered Kay’s question about winning, Daxia just snorted. “Nobody wins in a war, Mikal. Some people just lose less. We lost...” The redhead looked away, ran her hand up Morning Star’s neck, and threaded her fingers in his mane. When she spoke again, it was softly. “We lost most of our Sisters... Morning Star lost his Brother, and so many of his Brethren... at the Massacre at the Temple on the Border.

“The followers of Mother Earth... well, who knows what they might have felt or known when She was killed. The followers of the Horned God, though? A God maddened by grief at the death of His Consort, a God who doesn't understand death?” She shook her head. “You saw the Gardener. Were his the acts of a sane man? Maybe... maybe not.”

The Dayalan took a deep breath, then continued. “Did we achieve peace? Yes, of a sort, with only relatively minor raids and clashes as Mikal said. Did we win? No. The Dayalans didn’t win. The Coven didn’t win. The Heartwood didn’t win.”

Daxia fell uncharacteristically silent after that.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Zeim #668825 Wed 26/06/13 00:13 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
The Highland Path
approaching Noon

Daxia, Darian, Mikal, Jankin, Dean, Cesare, Kadri ... Morning Star, Longtooth, Kay and Romana

The young Dayalan gathered up her meager belongings ... which were ... none. She did adjust her sword belt and her shield, well it was missing several hundred years ago; Daxia knew what had happened to it.

"Stupid boys ..."

Kay gave Mikal a long measuring look.

"Heard tell that when the Duke of Trundle, learned that it was a girl, leadin' the Eastern Horde, well that he just laughed it off."

The young woman's shoulders rose and fell, sure and even.

"We kinda knew better. But who listens to us, aye?"

She snorted, once, shaking her head.

"Sneaky conniving treacherous cunning ... something Lily-kins would whap me on the side of the head if'n I spoke it."

Later on the trail, as Daxia spoke, her nose would wrinkle and face would twist as she tried to make heads or tails out of Daxia's words.

"Wait ...

"I was ... am ... the youngest of the Temple Guard, aye?

"And you are sayin ... descendants of mine and this Rhoni lass ... my great great great greater than I can count kin ...

"Are right powerful and all in Her Sight ... which would ... which would ... make them OLDER than me?"

She paused, frowned and kicked a rock down the trail, hard.

"Tcha. I just cannae get a break ..."

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 26/06/13 00:14 UTC.
Wolf #668828 Wed 26/06/13 00:21 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She pauses for thought a while, before responding to Daxia

"As you say, no-one wins these things, Dazi. In the end all you can do is minimize the losses, maximize the good times, and dance through the raindrops. We won because we live another day, and others live another day. Yes, others died. Could there have been more of a win? We will never know, but what happened, happened and what we deal with in the now is what is and what we would have it become. Road goes one direction, the one we choose to travel."

She pauses, then allows herself a momentary grin.

"And Dominie ... has his charms, yes, and would perhaps lighten the road, yet I doubt in the end I would be one to tie him down. I think My Lady has more in mind for me to do before I stay in one place, and for him as well."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He wants to know more about why the tavern is so crowded early in the day. It could be just coincidence, but best not to ignore potential signs of trouble or interest. He decides to go and talk to those driving the wagons in the first instance. Merchants and guards would be more likely to look upon him as a potential for trouble, wagoners might see him as more of a traveller. So he pays no attention to cargo, guards or anything that might suggest he is a threat.. though if it is stone they carry, why the guards? Stone is not the easiest thing to steal and not too much profit in it generally.

So he picks the most amiable looking one and wanders over, not too close.

"Hi there. Just wondering how the road it to the west."

Gypsy #668879 Wed 26/06/13 12:42 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He just grunts a reply to Daxia's comment. Indeed no one 'wins' a war, however being on the 'losing' side is always much worse.

As Kay answers, he frowns. The defensiveness of the answer comes through clearly, and while he can understand that from her perspective it is justified, it wasn't what he meant by his original comment. Still he isn't sure pushing on that topic is wise just now so he lets it drop.

As they reach the inn he notes the unusual number of people about, like the others do. At Darian's query he turns towards her.

"Careful, Darian." He looks at the others, including Jankin. "We are approaching the purview of Talantal and the family Korie. Those who hew closest to the new gods."

Zeim #668881 Wed 26/06/13 12:58 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia shrugged at Kay’s explanation to Mikal. “Then... now... Not much difference. News of a female leading the armies is something likely to be believed only by Dayalans and Allaines.”

And later on, down the trail much closer to the tavern, the redhead studied the younger Dayalan. “Youngest in your family, what’s left of it, yes. But there are Initiates still in Dawnview who are younger, and Verchovai Poppy’s student is...” Daxia thought for a moment or two, recalculating what had been calculated so long ago in a glade off the Brementown Road. “...no older than you, and perhaps younger.”

Finally, they reached the Half Day Out Tavern. Daxia’s eyes darted from the Korie purples to the Montegue grays and, with a brief glance at Darian, murmured to Mika, “We should just keep riding.”

Kel #668893 Wed 26/06/13 15:50 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She had seen the grey of the Montague, was familiar with them, and knew her own tale as well as Mikal's. She did not seek this thing he called vengeance. It was not the way of her people, yet she also remembered the ones shut up in their homes and burned alive. There was no honor to be found among the Grey Men. The others she knew of only a little.

She met Mikal's look, and gave a small nod that she understood. She had her fingers in the scruff of the tall hound at her side. A look also went to Dazi and the Romana that rode with them. She came to stand nearest Mikal and Daxia.

"Darian scout ahead."

ividia #668910 Wed 26/06/13 20:01 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

The Talatal purple stood out right away. As they get closer and he can make out the Montague Grey, his expression grows grim. Fingers of one hand tighten on Talia's reins until the knuckles whiten while the other hand grips the hilt of his sword.

He looks at Daxia when she speaks. It is hard to tell whether he is about to argue with her, but after a minute his hand leaves his sword and he nods simply to her, and then to Darian.

"Better yet to swing wide. Bullies become brave when they are in number."

Zeim #668929 Wed 26/06/13 22:13 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She looks over at Darian and Mikal.

"... should I scout as well?"

She pauses, looking at Mikal when he says 'bullies, looking back at the grey livery, then her expression hardening with a frown.

O
Revenant
Revenant
O
Jankin nodded slightly, acknowledging Mikal's words. Dropping back to the rear of the party, he set himself to watch alertly for any sign of their party being singled out for special attention.

ividia #669107 Sat 29/06/13 19:43 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
The Highland Path
approaching Noon

"Verchovai Poppy?

"What sort of heroic name is that? What, did Lily-kins start a trend? Hoi! Verchovai Poppy-kins! Next thing you know and you'll have a ... violet, a gillyflower, a daisy or camelia ... dahlia ... jasmine ... dandelion ..."

Kat would, however, also draw herself up to a halt, as they rounded the hillock, to see the tavern with its caravans sprawled before them. She would blink twice, wrinkling her nose.

"And what sort of place is this that someone would build an inn a half days walk from anywheres?"

Romana, at the very end of their own small traveling group, would simply look ahead, peeking out from beneath her oversized summer's hat. She'd tug her coat tighter about her as if a cool breeze had chilled her. She perked up, at the rumblings if looking ahead - perhaps a hint that someone's curiosity was waking up.

Longtooth simply huffed out a breath, and loped off ahead, looking back over his shoulder as if wondering what was taking Darian so long.

... Jankin ...

As they look up to the tavern and their grounds they do attract some manner of attention; they are, after all, a small group coming down the trail that chose to stop instead of continuing to the front court and then to the commons hall. That and perhaps while arriving here at noon isn't strange in itself, arriving here at noon from the east could be a matter of legitimate speculation.

Perhaps one of the merchants - one could tell they were merchants by their girth and their finer clothes - and perhaps a few of the caravan guards.Curious; a guard without any specific livery ... suspiciously threatening; one with a tall oxe-tongue spear, a handful of gray ribbons tied just beneath the harsh metal. Aloof; the man on a finely mantled horse bedecked in gold and purple.

They especially were watchful, as from their little group one walked up the hill, to the outermost caravan.

... Darian ...

Darian and Longtooth could easily break away, to meander a subtle loop about the tavern.

Where one might wish to have found threat and subterfuge there was only mundane commerce. The caravan guards tended to stay close to the wagons they were watching, as if the wile of greedy merchants - other than their own - were a credible threat. Though, as the sun reached Her zenith, there were fewer and fewer merchants to be seen - they tended to enter the big building and not come out. Those left either watched over their particular wagons or served them - teamsters taking care of their horses, roughnecks checking the carts over, their wheels and undercarriage. Most of the guards had unhorsed and sat against the big wagon wheels, taking amidst each other, some tossing threece sticks, others exchanging coin over the results of a round of fourstones.

Beyond the trail continued, still winding along the edge of the ravine. At the edge of sight there was a little copse of trees sheltering a a set of buildings; perhaps a farmhouse and a barn.

The trail seemed empty; or at least there was no sign of travelers as far as she could see.

... Cesare ...

Cesare did attract attention, as he climbed up the hill.

Indeed, he was met well before he got close to the nearest carts, a pair of men in gray tunics roused from their rest to walk towards him, stopping only when a rugged man in leather armor intercepted Cesare first. The two did not seem amiable at all, looking suspiciously between the Rhoni and the small, motley and roughened gang behind him. The man in leather would also offer a darkened look, but or the moment his hand only rested near the hilt of his scabbarded blade.

"... the trail west?

"... quiet and safe. You are within a stone's throw of two keeps and their manors, laddie. While there may be a touch of disagreement who claims this stretch of the path, the only thing you need to know is that it's either the Kories or the Montagues. They'll both come down hard on any ...." His gaze would look back to Cesare's companions, " ... any body looking to make trouble."

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 30/06/13 18:52 UTC.
Wolf #669114 Sat 29/06/13 21:17 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He holds his hands slightly out from his body indicating that he is not looking for trouble. Though if any know Rhoni well they may know he could have daggers - Rhoni blades - in those hands before any could blink.

Instead he smiles, nodding amiably.

"Good to know. Avoiding trouble is always the best course of action."

He does take the opportunity to observe more closely whilst he is this close but his body language indicates he is intending to return back to the others.. which he does if nothing stops him.

Gypsy #669116 Sat 29/06/13 21:33 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He sits his horse quietly as Darian and Longtooth drift off into the woods and Jankin drops to the rear of the group. He watches as Cesare approaches one of the Grey-clad men and begins a conversation.

Glancing at Kadri he shrugs. "Up to you. Although we're probably already attracting attention by sitting here. If too many of us suddenly disappear it'll bring more attention."

He turns to Daxia. "If we intend to bypass this place I might suggest those who do not wish undue attention swing through the woods and meet us on the far side while most of us simply ride past. If we all turn off the road it'll be strange."

Zeim #669637 Tue 09/07/13 18:27 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She’d smiled at Kay’s comment. “Perhaps Lily did start a trend... who’s to say?” she replied. “Gillyflower keeps the farmers near the Skaefla Plateau safe from griffins. She was my arms instructor when she was in the Vale. Dandelion is your cousin who leads the Wild Horde, and battles the Fair Folk each spring. Camelia, too, is your cousin. She stayed in Bordertown to take a place on their... town council, I guess I’d call it. Poppy rides the backwater parts of the High Tarn, and is well known as Richter Gwynn. Well loved, too, by the common folk.” Then Daxia looked off into the distance, or the past perhaps. “There was an Initiate by the name of Daisy who decided marrying the baker’s son was Dayala’s plan for her. And why not? Perhaps her daughters will be more suited to taking up sword and bow.” Then the elder Dayalan sighed. “Dahlia left on her Initiates Journey when I was two handful years old... she never returned.”

The redhead was silent and introspective as they continued westward. The night’s activities had more than unsettled her, they had left her with doubts and too many questions. While the actions she had taken at the Temple on the Border had been obvious — there had never been a doubt in her mind that Tashka and Linette needed to be freed from the Curse that had held them prisoners for three hundred and fifty years — she could now see a Path leading back to Highside Heather, and that was more than a little worrisome. Oddly, it had only been after she’d told Morning Star that she saw no clear Path regarding the place that the Path became evident. Did the speaking of it, the thinking of it, create the Path? And since there was now a Path, was she — as one who could see that Path — required to do something about it? Morning Star was silent on the matter, and Daxia would have preferred Kisa’s advice anyway. Preferably a conversation, perhaps under an apple tree, rather than enigmatic Doublebluff tiles.

That, perhaps, was the seed of all her doubts... that Path. Highside Heather was a broken place, a place of pain and sorrow and suffering and anger. It probably hadn’t helped that she’d added her own rage to whatever Highside Heather was. Could a broken place be pieced back together? A curse could be broken, but was Highside Heather cursed... or merely tainted by the actions of a Gardener of the last Age and the anguish of the God he served?

Perhaps the broken place did not need to be pieced back together so much as it simply needed... peace. But how could mere mortals bring peace... show peace... be peace... to a God maddened by the belief that His Consort was dead?

Not all Paths were meant to be followed, that was a truth she learned early on in her lessons with Kisa. Yet this one, this one that lead back to Highside Heather had the look of one that was meant to be walked.

And what was ahead? The Path that lead to the heart of Talantal, that was certain... a visit to Dominie’s tiny village. But without Bekkah, that was a Path they couldn’t walk, for it was her touch that would make the difference there... her presence, her kindness, her compassion, her mercy. And then there was the Path that led — in circles and spirals and switchbacks — to Poppy Gwynn, and perhaps a closing of another circle.

Go forward... or go back?

At the moment, it was neither, as they came upon the tavern.

“It’s not this place that caused the building of an inn half a day from the next, but Highside Heather,” she said to Kay. “It’s a days walk from here across the Only Bridge to the other Half Day’s tavern. Only unlucky folks, or desperate folks, spend the night at the Lone Pine Inn.”

And this being Half Day’s Tavern, they should reach the next inn... or farmhouse... before She set.

Daxia didn’t care much for the looks they were getting, but it was nothing new. Since leaving Kierkegaard lands, she hadn’t felt welcomed anywhere... at best, there had been grudging acceptance. And now... a Dayalan who looked enough like an Allaine that the differences weren’t going to be noticed at a distance... traveling through the lands of the Kories, the most Imperially aligned Noble family and the Noble family most at odds with the Allaines, just seemed insane.

Maybe, oh yes maybe this is what Kisa had foreseen, and what Kisa had meant for her to do... but that didn’t mean Daxia was going to joyously walk down that Path. No, last night had stirred up emotions that would sit too close to the surface for a good handful of days. Learning what had happened that fateful night an Age ago, she supposed, could always be put to good use. She was a scholar as well as a warrior, was she not? Later, at some point, they could all talk of what they’d individually experienced. Knowing what the others had lived through might help her weave a Pattern for understanding better what happened at the end of the Second Age; that, too, would be good. Oh, and didn’t she just have questions for Romana! But didn’t she always seem to have questions for Romana? Of all the members of the party, Romana was the one she would most likely have shunned, had she herself not been willing to think in new ways. But Kassia had taught her to think, and to question what she thought she knew to be true. So she always seemed to have questions for Romana... always questioning what she, as a Dayalan, should know to be the truth.

She sighed and looked at Mikal. “Agreed. My kind are less welcome here than you and your Brothers. You and Dean are less likely to draw attention than Kay, Romana and me. Jankin...” She glanced back at the older man, before looking again at Mikal. “...is an unremarkable woodcarver.”

She looked over at Cesare and shook her head.

“We’ll go with Kadri through the woods,” she said to Mikal and gesturing for Romana and Kay to follow her. “Please do keep our Rhoni from getting skewered, would you?” she said, smiling crookedly at the Jvrillian.

Heading away from the inn, she desperately wished Bekkah hadn’t been delayed by the injured teamsters. She understood all too well her sister’s need to stay behind. That didn’t stop Dazi from missing Bekkah so hard that it hurt.

Kel #669642 Tue 09/07/13 20:25 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Dean and Jankin, and meeting a returning Cesare

He watches Daxia as she, Romana, Kay, and Kadri move off to follow Darian and Longtooth into the woods.

Then he nods to Dean and Jankin and they start down the road to meet a returning Cesare. As he rides he muses at the strangeness of the situation. They are now somehow in two groups, separated by sex. For one reason or another all of the groups females were forced to avoid the inn.

Zeim #669654 Wed 10/07/13 00:33 UTC
O
Revenant
Revenant
O
Jankin had been sorely tempted to go along, avoiding all the people, and the odd undercurrents. But he had always felt that if one did actually want to be inconspicuous and unnoticed, the best place was in plain view. Head down, his day's load of wood a littl higher on his shoulder, he trudged on.

Owain #669660 Wed 10/07/13 03:32 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
The Highland Path
Noon till Sunset

Daxia, Darian, Mikal, Jankin, Dean, Cesare, Kadri ... Morning Star, Longtooth, Kay and Romana ...

" ... cor."

Kay listened to Daxia's words, about taverns and a days travel and the Bridge over Silk Creek.

" .. somethin's right powerful broke."

She concluded and then, a heartbeat later, very defiantly and defensively protested.

" ... but it ain't my fault!"

She did, however, look oddly between the tavern and the elder Dayalan, when the suggestion is made to ride off the trail; or in her case, to be walking. She would wrinkle her nose and simply puff, but would also listen to her Elder's words ... and two steps later would nod and let her pace pick up. That's when the youngest of the little group would whisper,

"That's right ... someone's gotta look after you all."

... passing the tavern ...

Right in plain sight.

That proved to be the case, as the menfolk trekked up the hill and into the sprawling court in front of the tavern. The Jvrillian, now he was the most common, the one who most fit riding upon the trail with others. Mikal did catch the eye of a few; garnering a speculation or two as the markings of his shield were seen. The mounted guard, in the purple and gold, purposefully paid him no heed, the followers of New Jvrill definitely beneath him.

"Mark my words ... that's outta the Bordertown Guildhouse ..."

That came from one of the guards, and he obviously was speaking of Mikal's shield, for his too was distinctly painted; black with a red hound above crossed swords and in the same style and manner of Mikal's.

The spearman, however, peered at the words and then at Mikal, eyes narrowing. He took a step forward only to come to an immediate stop. Perhaps because there was a Squire of Rames beside Mikal. The Montague guard snapped a quick look between Dean and the aloof guardsman and then decided to not press any issue. On the way through, Cesare could easily be swept into the little group; indeed, having him taken away and bound down the westward trail - just as he spoke - would set some of the more suspicious folk at ease.

As for Jankin ... his prediction, his habit proved true.

Who questions a farmer carrying a load of wood down the trail?

No one.

... in the woods ...

Following Kadri's early lead, the women drifted away from the trail, slipping through the fields in a generally westwardly path. Kay walked next to Daxia and Morning Star, the two slowly catching up with the Amber princess. The one who strayed far afield was Romana and Dancer, meandering her way, slow and lazy, as if trying to keep out of someone's vision, even to the point of going around the far side of a rock instead of the near.

"She doesn't speak much does she ..."

Kay speculated, gnawing on her lip.

"And is right powerful shy."

She looked between Romana and Daxia, worrying a thought like a snarkhound a favorite bone.

"You know ... that was a really odd question you asked. About the dead folks."

... come sunset ...

The two groups, the menfolk and the womenfolk, met up west of the tavern, once again upon the Highland Path. It was here Darian and Longtooth also waited, having seen that the path west, as far as she could conjure, was quietly clear.

And it proved to be, the road meandering along the edge of the ravine. Here and there the path was actually cobbled - but for little stretches. Sometimes the path's cobbles had been scavenged, to make a small bridge or set of stepping stones to cross a little crick. As dusk approached, as She vanished beneath the far horizon, there, just a little bit farther the stones had been used to make a wayside shelter - though not much at all. A wall to cut off the breeze that whistled along the stony cliffs and a pair of circles; the center to serve a campfire and the outer stones to sit upon.

However, against the dark sky, in a splash of orange and yellow, there was already a fire in that little hearth.

Someone was already there.

By the time they reached the little roadside camp it was dark enough that the fire provided a circle of illumination. The smell of roasting coneys rose in the air - speared on a set of green branches poking above the fire. To the side a black horse was tied, it whuffled friendly like as the small group came into the gentle light.

Sitting quite comfortably upon a rounded stone was a woman; probably older than most in the group. She had beautiful blonde hair that fell in a gentle cascade, framing a pretty face with bright blue eyes.

She wore familiar garb.

The cream and white tunics and surcoat of Lady Attera.

... and Bekkah

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 10/07/13 03:35 UTC.
Wolf #669663 Wed 10/07/13 05:40 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia had shrugged at Kay’s protestation that the broken bits around Highside Heather had not been her fault. “Don’t see how it can be, unless you were giving the Gardner his ideas. Not something a sane person would do, so that probably leaves you in the clear,” she said with a wink. And then chuckled at the youngster’s declaration to watch out for the rest of them.

Although Romana trailed behind — far behind, in fact... almost as if she was using Dazi as a shield between herself and Kay — Daxia only glanced back when Kay decided to comment on Romana’s sociability.

“No, she doesn’t. I suppose someone has to make up for all the talking I do. And... shy?” Daxia only shrugged again. “Until you get to know her... definitely. And even then, no, not much of a talker.”

They walked, picking their way through the woods, around rocks and brambles. Sometimes Daxia would spend fullhand after fullhand walking close to Morning Star, hand resting on his neck or fingers tangled in his mane... sometimes walking a handful of paces ahead.

“I ask a lot of odd questions, it seems. Which one in particular seemed odd to you? What made it so odd?”

A storm was brewing, and she would have preferred not to be the wall between the lightning of the past and the snowy wind of the East. It was inevitable, but she didn’t have to like it. It was almost a certainty that Romana and Kay weren’t going to like it either.

How did she wind up leading this rag tag group of misfits again?

It had been a long day of too much thinking after a long night of too much death, too much confusion, too much anger, and not enough sleep. Although hospitality on the trail was important, vitally so, Daxia didn’t think she could bear the presence of a stranger tonight. Perhaps it would best to just keep to herself, fade into the...

She stopped dead in her tracks at the whuffling of the horse. It sounded so painfully familiar.

But then, so did the woman at the fire.

Daxia might have held her breath, hoping that her eyes were being truthful. But she knew they were.

“BEKKAH!”

She ran to the Lady of Attera and pulled her up from the stone upon which she sat, wrapping the smaller woman in a tight embrace.

“Oh, Bekkah! So glad see! Missed you... missed you so much.” The red haired Dayalan pulled back slightly, blue eyes staring into blue eyes. “Bekkah not leave Dazi, okay? We all miss, but Dazi miss most! Very much most!”

Kel #669666 Wed 10/07/13 10:11 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri upon seeing Bekkah simply held back ... And smiled. Because it was very nice to again see Dazi smile.

She looks over at Kay and I way of simple explanation said ...

"Its her sister."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,848
Posts140,861
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy