Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
4 members (Barry Mulvihill, Vryx, Asta, MikeD), 79 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

The Hunter chuckled and, with brimming, steaming cup in hand, took another seat, stretching out her legs to let the snarkhound curl beneath them as he was wont to do. She sipped and watched the folk about her. A smile played across her face as she enjoyed this Midwinter's Day.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Either skittish.. or my charisma now has an overpowering effect on women.."

He looks at Romana.. then at Darian with a grin.. before turning back to the swordlord.

"..guess not. So likely you have the right of it."

Chuckling, he looks up at the dangling Romana.

"Would you like some help getting down?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Romana’s squeal and subsequent acrobatic display prevented Daxia from responding to Dominic. She looked up at Romana, looked at Cesare, looked at Mohlkavin and shrugged.

“Da. Easily startled.”

She looked again at Romana.

“Cesare forget, da?” Daxia made a beckoning motion with one hand, and smiled. “Romanaska let Cesare help? Then maybe Romanaska like cider with apples and cinnamon, no grapes... or hot chocolate?” She beckoned again and pointed to Cesare, then looked at the young Korie lord.

“You’re a rascal, Dom Dominie, there’s no doubt of that. It’s a wonder you don’t limp from all the kicks to the shins you must get, though I have no doubt at all there are more than a fullhand and another fullhand of hearts pining for you from here to there and there to here,” she said with a chuckle. She glanced between Dominie and Kadri, a twinkle in her eyes.

“Shall we put on a pageant as we process to your tiny village amid the fireworks? What a wondrously odd and delightful sight that would be, don’t you think? All of us,” she said, gesturing to their small group, “as attendants to your beloved as she deigns to meet with Father and Brother, though Brother’s Wife might be completely beneath her.” She winked at Kadri. “Our Kadri is a gracious and magnanimous Lady, however, so she might find patience in her heart to leave your tiny village — so small that it does not even have enough words — a new word or two that they might share among themselves.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He takes the offered seat near Mohlkavin. "Pardon for appearing sullen, Sowrdlord. I am mulling both a recent annoying encounter with Donner's Swords newly elevated Swordlord and what direction my future will take me. Neither good things to do on Midwinters Day."

Bekkah

She watched everyone, taking a glance at Dean before she seemed to make up her mind about something.

*It's Midwinter. I'm going to just have some fun.* she thought. With a smile and a bounce to her step, she stood before Mikal.

"Sir, my feet grow stiff from sitting too long. Would you join me in a dance or two?"

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

To Daxia and Domini

"If that small village contained Domini ... How many words can there be, really, that they have not heard from the master of words? As for me, Dazi - I am no lady, I am Kadri - lady goes for those with grace and dignity - "

Her hand motions towards Bekkah.

To Bekkah.

"Bekkah, dear Bekkah - you are a face of your lady here in this life. Everyone knows what Your Lady is, and she is what she is by nature. Something to be revered. Yet you - someone who goes so against human nature as to be a beacon of caring and solace? You are what you are by choice. That is something to be well and truly honored. I am no warrior, but I dare to say that your path's challenges are well and truly the equal of that path or any other, and is more than most. Attera might provide the power, yet you make it happen here. Now."

She looks to Mohlkavin, looking thoughtful.

"Word games. Perhaps, however, important word games at that. The option to say no must be made to disappear, yet I have no illusions that it will also make wounded pride and honor disappear with it. That, among my kinfolk, does not happen, as I imagine it will not with the Dark Mark here."

She grins widely and winks, looking at Romana.

"Romana can FLY? Why did you not tell me this, my friend?"

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Fri 18/01/13 14:21 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Afternoon
Midwinters Day

Daxia, Darian, Cesare, Bekkah, Mikal, Dean, Kadri, Romana, Dominic Domine Korie and Harry Mohlkavin

"Obviousliciously!"

Romana blinked down at Kadri, answreing her small friend's query in a backwards kind of manner.

"Obviousliscially Romanas can indeed flys!"

She then looked down from where her feet now dangled above the floor and not too far above the tables; there are, indeed, certain benefits of being tall.

"Its the landings Romanas are not too sure about ..."

Blue eyes blink, once, twice, thrice, as if she was looking for a particular word.

" ... ja?"

Cesare's offer of help was met with a considered nod, as she clutched at the rafter a bit tighter. It was fair and it was balanced, since the Rhoni was how she ended up there in the first place.

"But hows, Cesares? Romanas not bounce too good and no tree for fallings in to ...

" ... and... and tschoklat ... ooooooooooooooooooo ... tschoklat!"

The upwards bound - and easily distracted - Romana had also not gone unnoticed. There were a a few laughs, a lot of pointing and a few well worded chuckles,

"Hoi! Usually we don't have girls falling from the sky until after sunset!"

" ... at least she's much much cuter than the lad they usually hang up come midwinters ..."

" ... about time they hung up a lass instead of a scamp ..."

Daxia's inflection and words caught a wary glance from their host; Mohlkavin taking a moment to look between Dayalan and the commons hall newest ornament.

"... I think you are wrong. So far you are proving that things like ... this ... do happen everytime you and yours walk through the door; from dashing rogues to dangerous accents ... though I might agree with the Korie lord. take it straight from the battlefield Verchovai. When the spectacle of the field is distracting your opponent, the last thing you want to be is even more spectacular ... and thus end up drawing his attraction back upon you.

"And that not just the value of steel and wheat changes between the Frontier and the Duchy, so do the value of a Lady.

"That and the distance from your Vale changes much. Why do you think she sent the Koromov in Her stead, come the council, and not one of her own? Not the name. She knew if the Koromov got tricked into a dark hall, a forgotten alley, she stood the best chance of coming out alive.

"Because they would try."

He then turned to Mikal, his shoulders shrugging.

"Lad, there are those in the Hall who would kill to be in your shoes. Do you know how tedious it into walk the watch, to ride patrol, around the same town, day after day after day. It's good work and important work, but it's nothing like riding between Mountains and Sea in the center of the windstorm.

"Donner's new Lord is a good man. He's one you'd always want on your side in the melee.

"But he's conservative ... it's as if he has blue stained blood.

"He's not been handed a defeat by the Horde; and if he did, you'd see the difference between both my Heavy Horse and the Mark. We'll change and learn. He'll just get a bigger maul.

"Of course you could find a home in the Guild Hall despite his mistrust. And he'd make sure to forge you into a proper Jvrillian.

"But in the long run?

"I suspect you'll regret that decision the rest of your life."

"Like refusing an offer to dance by a fine lady.

"And as for your silent lass, the one in buckskins and a toothsome companion...

"Landis is not to be trifled with. If his Hunter's gaze has turned this way, it is a serious thing. He has no honor, save for that given to him when he brings a dear in for the slaughtering.

"And speaking of hunts ..."

His attention shifts once again.

"You say you are a Kadri, and not a Lady. Then ... be that.

"Learn from your scamp-on-a-leash. Be yourself. Make sure they know you are enjoying your life to an extent they could never dream.

"And stay a step ahead of them at each turn.

"Right, Dominic?"

Dominic didn't answer. There he was, on the floor, all comfy and with a certain low point of view. He was biting his lower lip, eyes focused down, silent, sitting on his hands like a little kid set at the kitchen table with a cookie jar with in reach and yet knowing just how much trouble he'd be in if he even tried to sneak just one ...

... or perhaps ...

... look up.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri ...

Leans over, looks into the the "scamps" face, and raises first one eyebrow, then the other, then grins.

"Join us at the table, Dom, drink if you are able. Your lips are talented ... and also good at words, so speak. I would hear what you have to say. Of my mother, it was said that when she sang the birds would sit in silence to listen, the wind would stop its howling and the grass its rustling - when you speak, Domini, for good or ill, it will be worth listening to. So come. Sit. Drink. Speak."

She scoots over to make enough room and pats the seat beside her.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sat 19/01/13 15:18 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He grins up at Romana, still amused by her reaction but also wanting her down safely.

"If Romana will excuse the comparison and Mikal would lend a hand, we could do what we do when apple picking, join our arms together and make a cradle so a lady could just let go and drop into it?"

He looks over at Mikal with an amused look.

"And I think quickly before a lady's arms grow tired.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia chuckled at Dominic’s plight. “Perhaps sitting beside your beloved will make you look less uncomfortable, poor Dommie.”

Looking at Mohlkavin as she stood, she said more seriously, “Your advice is well taken, Swordlord. Your assessment of my Sisters, both those within the Vale and the Koromov, is accurate... and while I may have more skill than most of my Sisters, I have nowhere near the skill of the Koromov. Yet.”

Then she stepped over to face Cesare with a grin. “I think if Mikal helps here rather dancing with my sister... well, that would lead to unhappiness on Midwinters. We can’t have that, now can we? It is a fortunate thing that swordswomen are as strong as many men,” she said with a wink as she clasped his arms. They were of a similar height, with Cesare being no more than a few finger width's taller, so they were well matched in the task. Better matched, in fact, than the much taller Mikal would be.

She looked back up at Romana then, smiling at her friend. “This will be the blanket to catch Romana who falls from tree inside the Inn, da... yah... ja?”

Last edited by Kel; Sat 19/01/13 17:02 UTC. Reason: good grief, the typos... WTH?

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He grins at Daxia, not doubting her abilities at all.

"I had only thought to delay him for a moment.. but you do have a point."

He chuckles, in particularly good mood today.

"Do I detect a fellow apple raider, perhaps in your younger days?"

Having firmly grasped Daxia's arms, he looks up.

"Ready Romana."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia grinned. "I have spent time in the orchards, that's true. Of course, raiding for apples just isn't as satisfying when you have permission to raid."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He chuckles again.

"Oh I would agree."

He braces, feet slightly apart for balance, ready to absorb the weight of Romanas fall.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Afternoon
Midwinters Day

Daxia, Darian, Cesare, Bekkah, Mikal, Dean, Kadri, Romana, Dominic Domine Korie and Harry Mohlkavin

Two things happened at once.

First the graceful rise and slide, as if a dance step, that ended with Dominic no longer at Kadri's feet.

But, with the nearby benches taken up by so many, his rest ended in Kadri's lap, arms resting causally and comfortably upon her shoulders. he leaned in, and perfectly Midwinters, claimed her nose with a kiss.

"Ja! What a wonderful idea, my dearest! This is much much nicer than the floor!"

The second was a squeak and a squawk and an oomf as arms released the rafter and hands quickly tried to retain control over long skirts - even if the tumble was quick and fast, ending with a Romana flounced in a pair of arms, even if awkwardly caught.

"Pancakes!"

Was what she said first, of course, followed by an aristocratically exasperated,

" ... was fun first times ... second and thirds, not so!"

Once she had finally untangled herself and stood, it was harry who spoke up. He patted the hearth next to him, and then turned his hand to indicate the exact spot with his fingertip.

"I believe you should return and sit your self right here."

It's said with a friendly nod, a smile, and yet there was a touch of steel in the words, as if it were spoken by someone who would not take no for an answer. Like a Swordlord's command.

"In fact, I think it would be good ..." As any very big, very strong and good looking man might say to a lovely lady, " ... if you were to spend the rest of Midwinters here ...

" ... ja? Ja."

Romana hesitated, looking between Cesare and Daxia and back again.

There was a chuff of bright laughter, a distracting interruption.

"And who says an old dog can't be taught a new hunt! You wiley scamp, Harry ... could it be you've learned something from ... me?"

Leaning against Kadri, comfortably snuggled and more than a little ... close, he rested his head against hers as he traded words with the Jvrillian ... and, in turn, answered Kadri's request.

"But it is true ..."

The rapscallion's words dropped, as if they were cloaked in a hint of shadows.

" ... it's not how something is or is not that matters, it's how it's perceived that is oh so important. Appearances, especially the higher one's station, the more important they are.

"For example, there's no safer place for a lady to be perceived, to have the appearance of Harry Mohlkavin's midwinter's companion.

"Or in another case, of a husband of all appearance reckless, bold, incapable of fidelity, and certainly not befitting a tragic noble lass."

The rake nodded.

" ... appearances and theatrics and a dash of mischief and derring do.

" ... at the sunset and sun rise, I suspect, what's most important is our amusement value ..."

Dominic ducked, as if expecting a whap, but none came.

" ... see ... it's a truth. And for me, I have been given a chance to rival Talesan and his Unicorn, and the challenge is not whether or not I can infuriate a trio of Amber Lords, but to see just how far astray I can lead them before they realize they have been led astray.

"And then, can I get them to continue to chase me for doing just that?"

He then reached up to touch Kadri's nose with the tip of his finger.

"And your job is to make Her laugh. Loosen up and realize the most important thing about dancing when the sun goes down.

"It's bloody fun."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Grinning at Romana he gestures towards the hearth standing free of her so as not to impede her passage. With a chuckle he moves to go and get some of the stew, then returns to squeeze in beside Darian, not really needing any excuse to snuggle up to her.

"That was funny."

Hungry now, he spoons the stew with relish, thinking how good it is to be part of this group, relaxed and enjoying the festivities. From the snippets of conversation, he is even piecing together Kadri's situation and realising what the play is here. He hopes it works for her and that she can feel less.. pursued in future.

Snagging a gobbet of meat from his stew, he leans down and offers it to Longtooth. It is his Midwinters too after all.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She chuckled once Romana was safely back down from the rafters. “You’re welcome, Romana.”

Daxia looked between Swordlord and friend, listening to Dominie’s chatter. She nodded towards Mohlkavin finally. “Maybe sitting beside very nice Swordlord is safest place for Romana, yah?”

She glanced at Bekkah standing in front of Mikal, and simply raised an eyebrow at her second before grinning broadly and saying to Kadri, “Your beloved owes me a dance. Or was it two? Might I borrow him for a while? I promise to return him before you get too lonely,” she added with a wink.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He catches Daxia's glance and sighs. He is still wrapped up in his own thoughts. Standing, he offers a hand to Bekkah. "Lady Bekkah? Would you care to dance?"

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"So long as you don't break him. That's my job, you know. Leave him the use of his legs."

She grins, and winks.

Bekkah

"I'd like nothing better at the moment." she said with a dazzling smile.

[ooc: I'm guessing you missed it. She already asked him to dance wink ]

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

“Oh, I’d never do anything to intentionally harm Lord Dominic. Why, we’re very nearly family, aren’t we?” Daxia said brightly to Kadri. “I’ll treat him just the way I’d treat my very own brother, if I had one.”

She grinned at both Kadri and Dominie. “Merciless teasing, but no harm to his precious person.” Dazi chuckled. “I certainly concede his beatings are his wife’s domain.”

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

(OOC - Yes. Missed it. No biggie.)

He leads her out to the middle of the floor. A short bow, and he takes her hand in his and pulls her into an ambrace, his other hand going around her back. He starts suddenly, matching the fast pace of the music currently being played. Feet moving quickly, he leads her through a spin and dip, taking both hands he segues into a promenade and cross body lead then into a quickstep and lock. For a few moments he needs to focus on his feet, so as not to step on hers, as well as on her skills.

He has always been a good dancer, the natural grace he uses when fighting meshes well with dancing. He never lacked for a partner back in his village. He watches Bekkah closely at first, trying to guage her own level of skill. He will increase, or decrease, the level of complexity depending on how skilled she seems, not wanting to embarrass her if she is not used to it.

Bekkah

She did not force the dance in any way. To do so was not proper form for a lady. But he found she followed well. He certainly might have had better dancing partners, but she was quite light on her feet and moved well. If he got pleasure from such things, it was quite obvious that she was enjoying herself. She was relaxed and supple in his arms.

Also, if he might be thinking she was doing this to make Squire Dean jealous, he would notice that she never looked at the good squire. Her sole attention was on him and the dancing. She certainly seemed to just want to enjoy the day of celebration.

Last edited by Nivek; Tue 22/01/13 17:38 UTC.
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She leaned against Cesare enjoying both company and warmth and watched the goings on with mirth... and a bit of longing.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Afternoon
Midwinters Day

"Well look'at that ...

"It's improper I say, down right improper! The impropriety of it is simply the height of ... improperty!"

"I wonder what happened ... did they fight? A lover's brawl?"

"Or ... or ... is she just trying to make him all jealous and everything ... maybe they are starcrossed or something!"

"If I were him I'd walk right up and demand My Lady Back, I would!"

"But he's so young ... maybe ... maybe ... they are related?"

"Well you can't say the sworder lad doesn't have a big set of gaaaaaaaah!"

"Just cause it's Midwinters, don't give you the right to be crude, Farmer Jacob!"

"If you think I'm paying for that beer ..."

"Oh don't worry, that one's on the house!"

It seems that, especially upon Midwinter's, not only are attention spans short but a pretty girl in the rafters pales against the scandalous spectacle of a Jvrillian and a lady dancing. Indeed, it is bekkah and Mikal upon whom all attention is drawn. The Minstrel's of course, took full advantage of this ...and the music picks up, an old farm tune, made for light feet and spins across the dance floor

Once in a lifetime ...
oh once in a life time ...
once in a life time ...
once in a life time ...

Everybody having a good time, ja?

Hey Daffyd, did I tell you?
So pretty it just could't be true,
To dance with her,
That's all I asked.
Patting me on the head,
She sent me alone to bed!

Once in a lifetime ...

It was a light song, a teasing song, and one that always got everyone singing; in fact there may be half a dozen verses true, another half a dozen laced on in jest and then if there were two minstrels, the traditional competition to see who cold make up the most new verses before the other ran dry or repeated themselves.

Making it a very, very long song.

And of course, like any country song, the verses tended to be a bit more earthy than those sung in any court, be it from Dawnview or Grand Talantal.

Mikal and Bekkah could be trapped upon the commons floor for an equally very, very, very long time.

Not all attention, however, was upon the fancy pair. Two passed back and forth glances, suspicious, furtive, distrustful, worried, scared, curious, intrigued, measuring, contemplating, strategizing.

That was what was exchanged between between Romana and Harry; Romana peeking over her hot tshoklat when she thought Mohlkavin wasn't looking, Mohlkavin casting a sidelongs glance to the slender cloaked woman; though Harry had the benefit of the excuse that he was supposed to be looking after her.

Longtooth munched down upon his snack, quite happy, sprawled on the floor before the fire. Mohlkavin did spare the two a glance, that and a shake of his head.

"Just remember; Midwinter's ends with the coming of dawn ... and I suspect Landis will be up and about before then. I doubt even he'd break the holiday; but the season's protections will vanish upon first light."

meanwhile, it was Dominic's turn to look up, shocked, aghast, a hand coming to his chest.

"How could you? Such a request, asking one to leave the most comfortable lap between here and there, that and a woman with a smile mysterious and the most important quality of all!

"She hasn't stabbed me yet!"

But with Kadri's words he did gracefully slip off, stealing a rustle of hair, a kiss upon the top of her head and the dramatic swirl of his cloak to bounce to his feet.

"Alas, if I must, I must! A promise is a promise ... oh the travails we men go through for the fairer sex."

Offering his arm, he properly escorted Daxia to the commons, to join in with the festivities.

He did cast a glance of his own sideways, nodding as he measured his height versus hers.

" ... never say there is nothing good about being short."

This got a choked guffaw from Mohlkavin as he nodded across to Kadri, offering her a wry smile.

"Truth of it. You could do worse."

"And probably a lot less troublesome ..."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc note: the song is based on "Guantananera" which is also famous for its impromptu lyrics! There's a great version sung by many folks to celebrate Celia Cruz

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Lionhawke
Lionhawke
Seattle, WA, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,847
Posts140,855
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy