Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jongleur, AquaDyne), 65 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 56 57
#585555 Sun 11/03/12 18:30 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Restday, The Twentieth Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Daxia, Mikal, Darian, Cesare, Bekkah, Celi, Kadri, Dean, Camelia and Romana

Crossroads.

A crossroads in the middle of nowhere.

The grim Forest of Roth somehow, over the last few days, ad snuck closer and closer, creeping up on the path until it was but a stones throw away. The path itself had changed, strange to those from the country; frozed ground had passed to hard packed earth, and then, this last day, bits of stone, smoothly cut flat started to pock the way one by one by one until the horse's hooves clattered upon an actual paved road.

Of course, by the time the road had become, indeed, a road, Bordertown was in sight.

The town, itself, was walled and very properly laid out. A stone bound square, with each corner overlooked by a sturdy watch tower and centered on each wall an imposing set of gatehouses. Halfway along each wall there was a strategic half round structure; not only did it provide cross fire against any approaching the town but could also divide the parapet itself if a portion was somehow captured. Atop the parapet were sturdy wooden hoardings; an anomaly in most cases, for hoardings traditionally were put up only upon impending attack. These seem rather settled in place.

But then the Forest of Roth was only a stone's throw away.

The town was settled upon a small rise; and while not high at all compared to the lower fields it commanded a good view of the east - looking to Roth and its fell forest. Of the west and the road that lead to Highgaard and Trundle-on-the-Hill. To the west and the Highland Path and the rest of the world a world that ended at Talesan's Bay and the sea from which the Empire came.

But to the south ... the south, in turned, looked over Bordertown.

A hill of rubble, almost as large as the town itself, indeed perhaps even larger, rose in three overgrown terraces. It seemed more hill than structure, whatever was there before having fallen prey to nature in the manner of trees and brush, vines and brambles. Every now and then blocks of honey colored marble poked through and there were what appeared to be little mule trails here and there as if the hill had been used as a makeshift quarry over the years. Atop the pile of rubble rose what looked to be a newer structure. A single tower with a pair of small buildings tucked up against it. A blue banner fluttered above while from a chimney rose a plume of smoke; someone, at the least, lived up there, outside of Bordertown's protective walls.

The sun was still a bit before setting when the small troop passed through the town's Eastern Gate. A toll, of course, was levied ... counting the number of legs that passed beneath. On each side there were the traditional tall and narrow slots known colloquially as murder holes;anther hint that the crossroad holding had more than a little martial influences. Once inside it was a smaller mirror of Cragside; as She approached sunset the town's normal bustle increased; merchants and mercenaries all working to finish the day's tasks before darkness claimed the town. Most buildings were stone; both field found and scavenged marble blocks, the roofs were terra cotta tile and those who could not afford stone faced their lesser structures in stucco. The streets were paved and no building was allowed to touch the town walls. The streets were layed out in a very proper manner; two main crossways divided the town in quarters, meeting at the center and the town well. In places the main streets opened up; in one smaller merchants were closing up their stalls and putting their wares back upon their carts. Upon reaching the town center the well was again similar to Cragside; an older carven ring set with the runes of time, water and horse. Again a makeshift winch had been set up, to allow water to be more easily drawn from it. The western street was dominated by collection of tall buildings, familiar to Mikal. this set of structures housed the mainland's foremost Jvrillian Guildhouse - housing the barracks of Mohlkavin's Heavy Horse and Donner's Swords. Usually Michael's Dark Mark also claimed this place as home.

Two taverns had been passed upon entering.

One was small, located right at the gate they had passed through, named, fittingly, as the Eastern Gate Tavern.

The second was right there and part of the central square, a stalwart place. Two stories and carven of stone there were no windows on the lower floor; instead the building turned inward to a small central court; with its own well and stables.

The Dragonstooth Tavern.

Wolf #585560 Sun 11/03/12 19:02 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He exchanges a look with Darian before turning to Daxia.

"We staying here tonight?"

Whilst he and Darian had their own plans, it still makes sense to stay in the same place, though he is hoping that their stay here might be somewhat less eventful than Cragside.

Wolf #585564 Sun 11/03/12 19:13 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

As they enter town, and reach the central square, he calls a stop. Of them all, he may be the one most familiar with the town so he points out a few items of interest, and ends with a question.

"This place is run much like Cragside was. Mostly merchants, with a section", he points to the southwest quarter, "for the Jvrillians. There are almost no Imperials here, but", he glances at Daxia, Camelia, Bekkah, and Celi and points to the tower flying the blue flag on the hill, "Lady Kay lives up there with Brother Random. Random is an Eye of Hastur. He doesn't come out much, but he is there. Lady Kay is a Priestess of Atterra. She watches over the town and is very familiar to the Jvrillian's here."

He gestures to the central square, ""The Market here is open til dusk every day."

He looks to Daxia specifically next. "There are three taverns here. The Eastern Gate, we passed as we entered, is independent of the guild. It tends to be vandalized fairly frequently, probably because of it's independence. This one", he points to the large stone structure, "is The Dragonstooth. It's a good quality inn. Good reputation. But it is somewhat expensive."

"There's one other place, on the other side of town, called Brandreth's. It's part tavern and part gambling hall." He shrugs, glancing at all the women. "Not the safest place. A bit rough and tumble."

He pauses, then asks Daxia. "Where to?"

Zeim #585586 Sun 11/03/12 20:12 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang in Bordertown

She looked at the Inn at Cesare's question, then shrugged after Mikal's description of the town and its inns. "I don't see we have any choice," she said, looking at the other women. "I can take care of myself, and would rather not have the concern that I will need to. The other women have varying skills I would also not like to see tested."

Daxia sighed.

"Any idea how long we'll need to stay? After Cragside, a town run by merchants is not exactly an appealing prospect." She glanced around and murmured, "Although, we can always hope these merchants are more honest and honorable."

Shaking her head, she said, "The Dragonstooth, then. Mikal, would you ask about the rates? I think Cesare and Darian would like privacy," she said with a smile and a wink to Cesare, "you and Dean can bunk together, but unless they have barracks-sized rooms, the rest of us will need to split up. Three and three, I suppose.

"Four rooms... two, three nights?"

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #585614 Sun 11/03/12 21:17 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

A prior discussion about a proper inn near to mind for her as well. She returned Cesare's glance with an answering nod and a small smile.

"Mikal, will Longtooth be welcome?"

ividia #585619 Sun 11/03/12 21:22 UTC
Bekkah

She followed the group to the inn.

Last edited by Nivek; Mon 12/03/12 15:24 UTC.
Kel #585637 Sun 11/03/12 22:33 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She looks at Bekkah.

"I'll help her if I have to."

She raises an eyebrow, after winking. . .but also sounds serious.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He ignores the interplay between Bekkah and Daxia, though, since he agrees with Daxia, his main contribution is to not point out where Lady Kay is for Bekkah, though it's not too hard to figure out if she tried.

He looks at Darian and shrugs. "Presuming you don't make too big an issue of it I expect if you have your own room with Cesare then Longtooth would be able to stay there with you."

He nods to Daxia, dismounts and drops Talia's reins to the ground, then heads into the inn to negotiate rates.

Zeim #585711 Mon 12/03/12 06:06 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi tugged on Mikal's sleeve before he headed into the inn.

"I do not have much coin, nor have I any hope of earning more," Celi said, showing him her purse, which was small and mostly unoccupied.. "If it would save everyone the trouble, I can sleep outside the walls, in the forest of Roth, without fear. Then there would be no difficult questions nor concerns, and no one would feel put upon in terms of my share of the room expense, or questions about my behavior."

#585720 Mon 12/03/12 13:15 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He stops at the tug on his sleeve, and turns back to listen to Celi, then considers. She probably wants him to tell her to go stay in the woods so she can be near to Stormrunner, but if something should happen to those in the town she will not know.

"I expect you can bunk with Lady Bekkah or Daxia without any problem. If you want to stay in the forest, you should ask Daxia, alright?"

He turns and continues inside.

Zeim #585723 Mon 12/03/12 13:44 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"I'll slip in ahead of you Mikal, and just watch your back from a little distance."

He nods to the man, just suggesting a precaution, no real concerns that anything might happen but then he thought that entering Cragside too. He moves in just ahead of Mikal and then off to one side.

Gypsy #585834 Mon 12/03/12 21:05 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

So ... Daxia is in charge. Or Mikal does not want to make this decision, which amounts to the same thing from my perspective.

So she took his suggestion and tried to approach Daxia.

"Daxia? If I might have a word? Mikal sent me to you for guidance. I am somewhat limited as to funds, and I do not wish to incur an obligation to the others in the party by shirking my share of any room fees. I will be perfectly safe o'ernight in the forest, but Mikal insisted that I get your authorization before separating from the rest of you."

I'll also miss the clever repartee, the good food and the magical tales of all things I know nothing about. The tales, the most of all, I am sure of it. But since one cannot have such pleasures for free, one must only select the pleasures one can afford.

She twisted her fingers together, and tried to look like it was no big deal either way Daxia swung.

Edited - while the action is good and the personal concerns both interesting and appropriate, the one sided statement that could not be defended against was removed from play. Please note that I really hate having to do this, especially after last week's request.

Last edited by Wolf; Mon 12/03/12 22:54 UTC.
#585858 Mon 12/03/12 23:57 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Just before sunset, Restday, The Twentieth Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Daxia, Mikal, Darian, Cesare, Bekkah, Celi, Kadri, Dean, Camelia and Romana

Through the arched entry was a not a large courtyard, but one not small ether. It was large enough that one could ride a horse in a circle in a comfortable gate; indeed opposite the court's entry gatehouse were a pair of heavy wooden doors. they were thrown open and within were the familiar sounds of a large stable. At least three stable hands bustled in and out; if this place was expensive at least the crowns paid for a substantial staff. A bar maid served the patrons who had chose the court for their repast; mostly townsfolk acquiring a flagon of drink to take with them on their way home - but one could imagine how nice it would be to have a meal hear on a warm summer day.

There were other doors and such opening out into the courtyard; but most seemed to be larger storeroom doors or perhaps those to the innkeeper's private rooms. just off center was the tavern's private well; it looked new, perhaps only a handful of generations old. Most of the pedestrian traffic was up; up a finely carved set of covered marble stairs; they lead to an arcaded balcony that looked down upon the open square.

"Hey Talton, lookee what we got here ... I wonder if'n she even knows which end to hold ...

"I'm sure we could show her what to do with a proper sword ...

"Careful lad, I hear tell they bite ...

"Hey ... does she have a pet Squire?

"Or does the Squire keep Her around so he looks good?"

"I don't know ... I like the mousey one over there ... she looks like a good country lass ... bet she is more earthy than some prickly sword ...

"Yikes!"

The cadre on the balcony falls quiet as the small group makes their way up the stairs. They fall quiet the moment they realize ...

"Apologies ma'am, your Ladyship! We were just chattering, you know ... just fooling, joshing ... meant no harm ... just good fun, right? It is almost Midwinters, remember ..."

The white robes of Bekkah's livery come with immediate respect.

And no good Jvrillian annoys someone who can take an arm and mercy it back upon a shorn swordsman.

Atop the stairs there is a wide door ...

... and within the commons.

The commons of the Dragonstooth befits it's reputation. The floors are polished wood, the space divided by finely mortise and tenoned beams From the rafters hang a great variety of tavernish things. Nets of fruit and vegetables, polished globes of staned glass that sets the oil lamps a sparkling like a rainbow. From wagon wheels that have be circumnavigated with pegs hang pewter mugs and ceramic steins - some obviously persona others snared by the tavern girls for any patron's use. The stone hearth against the far wall isn't just stone but honey marble ... which is matched by the marble counter and the dark wood front of the bar. Heavy barrels, tapped, and rows od bottles and flasks display the tavern's primary wares. from somewhere - perhaps behind the bar or even seeping up through the floorboards from below come the most delicious scents - spiced meats, spiced cider, breads and ...

Romana, wrapped in cloak and hood sniffed, once and then closed her eyes, hugged herself tight and swayed back and forth.

" ... ooooooooooooo ... cinny-minny-mons!"

On the walls were hung shields, each bearing a different horsemark, while in a place of prominence behind the bar was racked a gigantic fang. As if from some dangerous canine the dull white bone was from no canine ... one could stretch ones arms and still not reach from tip to root.

The tables in the commons were exactly that; small round tables, simple square ones, a collection scattered about the room and easily separated or pushed together to form a group. There were no benches, however, there were actual chairs, one per person. The evening patrons were quite a mix, ranging from plump merchants to fierce looking swordsmen, to dark and rugged teamsters. Aside from the tavern girls, however, there was a distinct lack of women.

Thus, attention was gained.

The barkeep was a sturdy looking man, one who was probably quite formidable in his youth. Which may not have been too long ago; his hair was only just beginning to turn gray.

He did, however, walk with a distinct limp.

"Rooms for the night? Well that's five crown a night plus one for everyone who shares a room. Add another five and it will get you your meals, three meals a day if'n you wish.

"Another five for your horses, if'n you have any.

"Four rooms you say?"

The barkeep furrowed his brow and then nodded out towards the balcony.

"We got three together, out the door and to the right; and then two more on the other side of the court."

Wolf #585896 Tue 13/03/12 02:06 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
-Darian-

The hunter speaks up, pointing to those she means, herself, Cesare and Longtooth, "We take room other side and meals. Eleven crown."

Last edited by ividia; Tue 13/03/12 03:48 UTC.
ividia #585909 Tue 13/03/12 04:44 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Dragonstooth Inn

Daxia hung back to speak with Celi as the others entered the Inn's courtyard. She looked down at the girl and sighed. "Celi," she said, barely above a whisper, "you would not be perfectly safe in the Forest of Roth, no matter how savvy your skills or how fearsome your companion. We know there is at least one Eastern mage, and a number of followers of the most dire of the Eastern gods in the Forest. There may well be a multitude of other barbarians. It is well known that Chaos Riders with increasing frequency ride out of Roth to attack Bordertown. So no, I will not give you leave to attempt something that may turn out to be suicide."

She shook her head. "Don't be concerned with coinage for our stay here at the Dragonstooth. I will put you in with Bekkah and Romana -- if you would only please be careful with your words. Consider how others may interpret them before you say them, yes? To pay your way, you could choose to accept the task of ensuring our delicate princess arises prior to mid-day, hmmm?" Daxia winked. "We are all together here, Celi. You and Darian contributed on the road by providing meat for our meals, and a bit extra for the families whose homes we very nearly invaded with our large number. Those of us with coin will do our part while in town to ensure we have a safe place to stay, meals to eat, and comfortable lodging for our horses, as well."

She gestured for Celi to walk with her as she led Fern towards the courtyard and the rest of their group. "Coin is not used exclusively as a means of payment, even in towns. Barter is a perfectly acceptable method of exchanging goods and services. For example, one of the tailors back home had a son who had joined the service of Rames, and he sent her written messages to reassure his mother that he was well, and to tell her about many of the interesting places he had visited. In exchange for reading the letters to her and writing replies to her son, she made my green tunic and undertunic for me." Daxia paused as she listened to the banter tossed their way from the balconies. She rolled her eyes and chuckled quietly. "Ah, and I was beginning to wonder if the tales my Temple-sisters brought back from their Initiate Journeys were exaggerations." She shook her head, retaining her smile, as she turned Fern over to one of the stablehands. By this time she and Celi had caught up with the rest of the group, and they ascended the stairs.

The change in tune of the Jvrillians when they saw her sister nearly made Daxia laugh out loud. Anyone who knew her even moderately well would be able to tell she was making an effort to maintain a placid countenance.

She leaned close to Mikal and said quietly, "What do you think, Mikal... should I upset the apple cart and handle the room arrangements, or allow your brother Jvrillians to retain whatever illusions they might be harboring by allowing you to do it?" Although there was a hint of laughter in her voice, she looked quite serious. "With Darian and Cesare taking a room on the other side of the courtyard, perhaps Kadri, Camelia and I should take a room over there, as well." She sighed almost inaudibly. "I'd rather not split us up like that, but if we must split, an even split seems more prudent." She smiled slightly. "I am, of course, quite willing to listen to any suggestions you have, as this is now your town more than mine. The Dayalan temple out beyond the south wall was likely set to ruin at the end of the Second Age... if not before."

Kel #585910 Tue 13/03/12 08:14 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi said, "Thank you, Daxia. You're not the first person to caution me about trying a night in that forest. I am grateful for your guidance and your assistance in this matter.

"If ever there is aught I can do for you -- to build up some credit, perhaps, so that I don't feel so loathsomely indebted -- I beg you, please ask; whatever it is, if I can do it, it will be yours."

After that, she just followed along. She paid attention when Fern was handed over to the stablehand, automatically radiating good will to ease the horse's stress at being handed over to a stranger.

ANd she listened to Daxia's words regarding the rooming arrangements, so that she might be able to accomplish the same thing in the future, were it ever to fall to her to do so.

She found it somewhat amazing, that of everyone she knew, Daxia and Stormrunner had both given her identical counsel about the stupidity of her "sleep-in-the-forest" plan. For that reason alone, Daxia went up a notch in Celi's quaint approval-rating system. Somebody had to take charge, she decided, and Daxia was both good at it, and more importantly, willing. Maybe that was more rare than she had imagined.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Tue 13/03/12 08:20 UTC.
#585923 Tue 13/03/12 11:29 UTC
Bekkah

She was relieved when the men stopped their taunting. She had visions of them having to sneak out of yet another town. Without her robes, she knew she didn't command the same respect. In fact, she'd garnered far different attention from men. At least now, she was immediately taken for more than just a pretty face. As she passed the loudest of the men, she leaned in and whispered to him.

"While I could bring you back to life and reattach that which she removed, it would be terribly taxing on me and intensely painful for you. Better to not push her. Ever." she said sweetly, before moving on.

She smiled as she walked away. More often than not, she wished men saw her as a woman and not a Lady of Attera, but there were times it came in handy.

She did not have coin, but Daxia knew this, so she knew her sister would handle her arrangements. She could also offer to tend any sick in the inn and most likely would be offered a room for the night. She watched Dazi and Celi and she worried about Celi. She was trying hard to both go unnoticed, but also contribute. It was a difficult balancing act, but she'd done remarkably well so far.

Nivek #585961 Tue 13/03/12 13:17 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

As everyone joined together in the inn and he manages to drag his eyes away from what must be a dragon's tooth on the wall - and if that is a tooth, a dragon must be larger than he had believed and he alrerady thought them huge - he rejoins Darian and the others. He leans in to her, asking quietly.

"Do you have coin? I have some."

He has never been in an inn this grand, other than running messages, certainly not to eat and never to stay. Far above his purse usually. He can afford to pay for them both and would not begrudge the money but he is inclined to hang onto some of it as he may yet have a long way to go. Perhaps Bordertown will provide an opportunity to earn some more coin.

Gypsy #585964 Tue 13/03/12 13:22 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She nods at Cesare's question to her. "Aye."

Coin she has and furs still and another hide.

ividia #585994 Tue 13/03/12 14:47 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He hands Talia over to the groom and moves to the counter, ignoring the banter, though a small smile crosses his face when Bekkah's robes bring quick apologies.

He glances once or twice at Celi talking with Daxia, glad she is talking with her and that she is taking her advice. It might have been harsh to push her off like that, but she needs to interact with the rest of the group and not be so attached just to him.

"Let me handle it, Dazi." He replies to her question. "No need for us to become more of an item of curiosity than we already are."

He nods at her room division and asks for 2 rooms on each end of the building. One for Darian, Cesare, and Longtooth, and one for Daxia, Kadri, and Camelia at one end, and one for Bekkah, Celi, and Romana, and one for himself and Dean, right next to Bekkah's.

Zeim #586006 Tue 13/03/12 15:30 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She nodded to Mikal, one eyebrow dancing upwards and a corner of her mouth twitching into a broader smile at the use of her nickname. As he tended to the room arrangements, she stepped closer to Darian and Cesare.

"Mikal is arranging rooms for the whole group, so they are aware we are all together," she said to them, as she reached down to give Longtooth a scritch. "We can settle up later, yes?"

Kel #586019 Tue 13/03/12 16:57 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Aye," she answered then after a pause she leaned in closer to Dazi. "Be problem male female share room?"

ividia #586022 Tue 13/03/12 17:11 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia shook her head. "Only know Vale customs. Think innkeeper only care for peaceful inn and bills paid, though. Others?" She looked around the room and shrugged. "Dazi not care what others think. Maybe Darian, Cesare not care either?" she said with a smile.

Kel #586024 Tue 13/03/12 17:20 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"No care," she said with a shake of her head. "City folk be odd most times. Say what need to if problem though, aye?"

Kel #586026 Tue 13/03/12 17:25 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"We'll pay our way."

He confirms they can handle their share.

"What people think is only a problem if it becomes more than thinking."

He shrugs, not seemingly too worried. His hand reaches for Darian's.

Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 56 57

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,848
Posts140,861
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy