Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
4 members (Asta, Gypsy, Barry Mulvihill, AquaDyne), 96 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Sorry we have not had time to talk before this, but it was first hectic, and then busy. I noted you had sworn to protect Lady Bekkah. How did you come to learn of her?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
After Dusk on the Brementown Road
Hasday, The Twelfth Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Daxia, Mikal, Darian, Cesare, Bekkah, Celi, Kadri, Dean, Camelia and Romana

"Word not define Romanas ... only Romanas can ..."

She cast a glance to the retreating Dayallan, then looked between her and Kadri. She simply nodded. Then eyes closed, they opened, all accompanied by a philosophic shrug.

"Names like life ... always changing, always new. How one speaks Romanas name ... says whether likes Romanas - smart thing - or hates Romanas - sad thing. Says wants talks to Romanas princess of Thousand Towers, or Romanas rider of Dancer, says you are higher blood than Romanas or lowers, whether wish wells or wishes not so wells, whether Romanas big and fierce or teeny small and moose like.

"Though Romana thinks moose like silly.

"Whiskers would tickles."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Darian near the camp

"Come only twice to kill-kill," she said absently, "This time to catch Romana, not play new game on Heartwood. Sometimes raid caravans on road between Black Mountains and Dirkwood."

Daxia sat quiet and still again, thinking, brow furrowed. After a while, she opened her mouth as though she was going to say something, then shook her head, frowned, and thought even longer.

"Feel like... like Sisters all die because Eastern people play game, make dying..." She was clearly struggling with words. "...make dying not mean anything, yah? Hakur, he be Hunter, stand against Montague, he Hunt, to protect Darian, Longtooth. He give Hunter, Hound chance for living, yah?" She sighed as she wiped the tears from her face. "Sisters stand to protect many, many, many. But Sisters die, Eastern people still kill ones Sisters protect.

"Maybe Dazi silly. But if Eastern people hate Risha's people, when Verchovai Jeminy, her Dayalans, even little Initiate Kisa Allaine all die to protect, that mean something. Mean... mean honorable thing they do. But if Eastern people just want kill-kill-kill, why come to Heartwood? Why kill us? Why they not stay home, kill each other, leave us alone? Why they not let my Sisters live?"

She took another shuddering breath and looked up at the night sky, pointing. "See so many stars? They Dazi Sisters. Most die because Eastern people want kill-kill-kill so be not bored. Sisters not die protect farmers, not die protect towns, not die even protect so many sparkly things of Nobles. Sisters just die..." Daxia swallowed hard, trying to get emotions under control. "Sister die... not even a reason for dying. Just Eastern people want kill."

She sat quietly for a while longer. "I not explain good. I explain with Noble words, I explain good. But Darian not understand so much. Want friend Darian understand, yah? Dazi feel... feel like Sisters die... is foolish when reason for killing is so... so... so STUPID!"

Again she shook her head, and sighed. "I die, you die, everyone die someday. Dazi want last breaths of life be honorable, be worth dying. Dazi die today try kill demon? Ok. Then maybe others be safe, yah? Dazi die fall down well, that stupid.

"Kassia? She die. Maybe already, maybe not yet. Kassia old, but Kassia best teacher of Dayalans for many, many, many year. Whole life worth more than everything Dazi ever do. Kassia not protect this person, that person. Kassia protect teachings of Dayala. Kassia... Kassia here? Kassia rap Dazi on back of head, say Dazi dumb as cobble-block. Dazi brain know Dazi dumb as cobble-block now. Dazi heart just hurt so much. Dazi brain not know how tell Dazi heart stop hurting."

She blinked away the new tears that had fallen and again dried her face in her sleeve.

"Darian understand? Darian maybe know way Dazi tell heart stop being dumb as cobble-block? Tell heart stop hurt so much?"

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian with Dazi

She listened hard, had to because those she had met on her journey were so very different from what she had known.

She supposed though, it might be a bit like when the sickness came and robbed the Pack of nearly half its number.

"No know how tell heart stop hurt. Only...only..."

She looked down, considering, "Mayhap telling help...."

"Afore Hakur teach, afore Grey Men come, handfull years and more, cold months come colder than any membered. Food little. Game die, some hungry, some sick."

Now she raised her eyes to meet Dazi's.

"Many of Pack die. All Darian's yearmates. Even she who birthed Darian. All Pack sad, heart hurt. Half gone by time Crown of Ice melt."

"Heart hurt took some from our way."

"Seem half gone no reason, no honor."

"Many handfulls years pass afore understand, if half not gone, all Pack die. Half offer selves save rest. Rest stronger."

"Then Grey Men come, all but Darian and Longtooth die. Make sacrifice half seem no reason. Now Darian must be strong, be worth sacrifice of all."

"Think same for Dazi. Not say easy or make hurt stop. It what Darian and Dazi must do."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Darian near the camp

Daxia listened attentively to Darian's words, chewed her lip while considering them.

"Is... is like..." She tilted her head slightly, remembering something. "Dazi ask Bekkah again, but long, long ago... Dazi very little... Papa die from sickness. Then, when seasons turn around one time, Mama die, too. Bekkah say..."

Daxia looked up at the star-filled sky.

"Bekkah say Mama too sad, heart hurt too much with Papa gone. So Dazi, Bekkah go live at Temple."

Watching, just watching... and all her Sisters watching her back... Daxia sat quietly for a while.

"Dazi think Sisters maybe tell Dazi she silly, too. They do what Dayala say: protect. Reason for protecting not matter when Dayala say protect." She nodded, more to herself... or perhaps to her Sisters. "Dazi do same. Dazi protect friends..." She looked at Darian with a smile. "...even friends not need too much protecting. Dazi protect Eastern girl, too. Romana not know words will hurt Dazi, she just say, yah? Dazi not know words will hurt!

"That very strange, yah? Many people say words to Dazi, think they hurt Dazi." She shook her head. "They not hurt Dazi. So Dazi very surprised when Romana words hurt, hurt, hurt! But Romana not mean hurt." She took a deep breath and sighed.

"Darian smart. Say good words to Dazi. They," she said, pointing again at the stars, "do what they should do. So Dazi do what she should do. Dazi not be like Mama, let heart hurt make Dazi sick, die. No, no, no. Gilly say something Dazi supposed to do. Lord Kisa, she say many things Dazi supposed to do.

"So. Dazi do.

"Not sure WHAT Dazi supposed to do. But Dazi do." She shrugged, and smiled.

"Ta... thank you, Darian. You listen good, say good words."

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

It has been difficult for her to communicate with those outside her experience on this journey, at least to the depth of the conversations she has been having. Within the Pack there was always a common frame of reference. Some things were understood by all. She had always known things were different beyond their territory, esoterically, but living in it was enlightening. She likened it to learning about a new type of animal, some here would be friend like Longtooth, others she still was not sure of.

She ducked her head in acknowledgement of Dazi's words and offered a small smile. "Now Dazi know hurt but not hurt alone. Okay to hurt, not okay hurt be all. Dazi friend. Darian not have friend...long time. Glad Darian help Dazi."

Bekkah

She watched Mikal move off to speak with the squire. It made her smile. He was so young. She could only imagine what they'd discuss. She also saw Dazi off with Darian. She looked for Longtooth, but didn't see him. She'd love to curl up next to him. She gathered her bed things and laid herself down close to the fire. She closed her eyes, silently thanking Lady Attera for helping her keep these people safe.

M
M
Dean
to Mikal

"My liege, Sir Kevin, told me I was to find Lady Bekkah and serve her. I had expected it would take a long time, as I was told she was a healer from far away."

Dean shrugs and says "'who am I to know the odd ways of chance and gods,' my Da used to tell me."

"How came you here?"

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He shrugs in return. "A long story. Basically I have worked as a mercenary for some time. First with Cameron's Light Horse, and then, after they disbanded, on my own. I was traveling up to Cragside to winter at the barracks there and see if any work was posted when I sort of fell in with the group. I think most of us sort of dropped into each others lap around that time. I am pretty sure only Lady Bekkah and Daxia knew each other from before."

He tosses a stick into the fire.

"So. What do you think of us?" He smiles, knowing he is putting the man on the spot. "And what do you think of Romana's story?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the camp

Daxia gave a little shrug, then a big sigh. "Dazi have only one friend, all of Dawnview Vale. Now have TWO friend outside! Maybe more, someday." She looked over her shoulder towards the campfire, then back at Darian.

"Dazi say mean words to Romana. Dazi need say nice words now." She stood, and grinned. "Dazi find Longtooth for scritch, too. Longtooth having many friends!"

Her walk back to the fire was considerably more serene than her departure, cloak wrapped tightly to ward off the chill air and nothing more. She stepped over to Romana, who still sat beside Kadri, and looked down at the girl for a heartbeat before crouching down so they were eye-to-eye.

"I was rude," she said to Romana. "I said spiteful things because your words hurt me, but you did not mean them to hurt. I am sorry I said words that hurt you back."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

The strange black haired girl simply watches as Daxia approached, as one might watch Krysta herself come close. She looked to Kadri for a moment, though her head tilted as she listened to the Dayallan's words. Then she just raised a slender pale hand.

"If Romanas words hurt Dazidazi, then ... then it is only natural to want to hurt back, has right to hurt back.

"Romanas not like hurting folks ... because means folks can hurt Romanas, and that not good. Much better to be nice, because nice makes nice."

She offered a Daxia a small, tentative smile.

"Done now, in past, yes? More important, now, how moving forward, yes?

"Maybe, though, maybe though part of it ... Romana speak bad. Hard time, with words so small."

The strange girl looked back to the spot where Daxia and Darian had spoke.

"Is true, when bored, Cohrlayyan most dangerous. But important, but remember ... if boredom that makes Prince look to other side of Mountains for entertainments ...

"... never ever happens ... until one Prince becomes strong enough to say what every every every other Cohrlayyan do."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Kadri and Romana at the camp

Daxia returned the smile and said, "Da, done and gone; we will move forward, and I will try very hard to remember that Romana only has small words, and does not mean to hurt anyone with her small words. Maybe Daxia has the right to hurt Romana back, but it is wrong for Daxia to hurt Romana. Daxia and Romana will be nice, and friend Kadri," she said, tapping her friend's foot and grinning at her, "may poke Dazi without fear of mighty sword if Dazi forgets that Romana means no harm with her words, da?"

She returned to sitting comfortably on the ground. "Cohrlayyan... that is the name of your people, or the place, or both? And there are many princes in your land?" Daxia nodded to herself as she pondered for a moment. "If the many Cohrlayyan princes are more numerous and as, ah, friendly as the Noble Families of the Heartwood, perhaps it may be that they will remain on their side of the Black Mountains forever. It is said that trying to get an Allaine and a Korie, the two most powerful Noble Families, to agree on anything is as likely as finding an icicle in a forge." She chuckled. "I think... perhaps... the Khoralls Allaine and Korie MIGHT agree that east is east, and that She rises there each day, but I think they would not agree on much more than that."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
KAdri:

"Romana. . ."

She pauses a long moment.

"Is one prince becoming. . stronger - much stronger - right now?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Romana looked up to the Dayalan and smiled,

"Yes!"

Then she blinked and wrinkled her little nose.

"Yes and yes? Bothes? One and sames and one from the other, not have one and others, place where folks lives and folks who lives in places?"

She then threw out her arms and swung them this and way that,

"Many princes, thousand Towers, thousand colors, thousand princes ... and that only prettiest city!"

He expression stilled, however, as she repeats herself,

"But Dazidazi not hear. Has nothing to do with agree or disagree ... has to do with making others say what to do ...

" ... has everything to do with power."

Romana turned to Kadri and swallowed.

"Father wants biggest Friend for reasons ...

" ... has everything to do with power."

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 07/03/12 01:33 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Brows knit together, glancing at Kadri, Daxia said, "So... without Romana, Father can't become most powerful? Or maybe Father will give biggest 'friend' many small fish instead of Big Fish Romana?"

She paused for a moment, then shook her head.

"No. I think Kisa would have seen something like that. She only spoke of much trouble on the High Tarn, but nothing of the East." She looked back at Romana. "Are there any other princes who can makes friends with this biggest 'friend'? Or is Father the only one powerful enough to make friends with biggest 'friend'?

"Hoi! Romana very, very smart to run away from all that! Even if Romana is only little fish on this side of Mountains, yah?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

"Power attracts Power attracts Power ..."

Romana's quiet singsong has a serious beat.

"Romanas Father one Friend away from making Kh'lhy'ra of the Thousand Towers do what Fathers say ... And where Kh'lhy'ra leads, Cohrlay follows. All others close, do what Fathers say ... or ... or ..."

The girl closed her eyes then, trembling a bit.

" ... hang from tallest Tower until ravens feasts."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:
She places one hand on Romana's shoulder, looks into her eyes.

". . there will be no feasts for ravens here."

She looks over at Daxia.

"Paths can be altered, remember. Perhaps. . one has."

She shrugs.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia nodded. "Oh, most definitely yes! Paths change. Patterns, connections... Hoi! Yes!" She placed a hand lightly on Romana's knee.

"Lady Daxia, Knight of Dawnview Castle, Protector and Sister of the Stars, of Her Ladyship Dayala, Bringer of Time and Order... I say I will protect Rhomanishkah'al'lhahrhonsha'al'khylyrishkatsarinish. No ravens feasting, no demons eating." Again the fire-haired woman shrugged. "Dayala most definitely does not like the gods of Cohrlay, very much does not like them. But here you are, perhaps because the Fates of which Cesare speaks led you to cross our path, and you need to be kept safe from your Father and his 'friends'. So... Dayala's wishes are very clear in this matter.

"Dazi protect Romana."

She pulled her knees up and rested crossed arms on them, then tilted her head to regard the dark-haired girl. "Hmmmmm. Maybe I can see new Patterns; I will look. Not as good at this as Kisa, but something very new and very big like meeting a nice girl from Cohrlay? Should change something, yes?"

M
M
Dean

Carefully listening to the interaction of Daxia and Romana, Dean tells Mikal "I...I have...no...idea."

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Huh. Well then, let me know as you decide, alright? Always interested to hear a new impression."

He glances at the fire again, then back to Dean.

"So, to more professional subjects. Are you interested in some sparring sessions? Daxia and I have a regular workout routine set for almost every evening when we can spare the time. Always good to bring in new blood, so to speak. New techniques. Styles. Weapons. Learning is life, as my mother used to say. You stop learning, you die."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

"Paths go where one ... "

There was an awkward pause, a catch of breath, and Romana hugged herself suddenly, very tight, as Kadri's hand sets upon her shoulder. Blue eyes blink and she looked back with a small nod.

" ... where one takes them, not other ways arounds ... just ... carefuls please? Pancakes."

She lets herself be distracted by Daxia, however, but it takes a whole long while - many heartbeats - as she tried to untangled the Dayallan's length proclamation.

At first there was a nod, a hint of a smile, and abright duck of her head.

But then her eyes went wide as she just looked at Daxia.

"Dazidazidazi Witch?"

She then looked around thecamp, her head snapping back and forth.

"Who is Dazidazi's Window?"

M
M
Dean

"Yes...yes...listen! Sorry, I don't mean to be rude...but listen"

Dean looks to Mikal and points towards Daxia and Romana.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
KAdri:

She blinks and draws back.

". . Sorry?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the camp

Daxia just stared at Romana, not saying anything for many, many long heartbeats. Then she blinked.

"Romana, I am not a Witch. On this side of the Mountains, that is a very, very bad thing to call a person.

"Why do you think I am a Witch, Romana?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Romana looked back to Kadri, her eyes ducked apologetically.

" ... folks touch Romans nicely end up dead ... not want Kadris dead ..."

Daxia's words, however, take her by surprise.

"Witches different here?

"Witches and Windows ..."

She paused, quiet.

"World is change, always changing, always new, always interesting, like trying to nail down wind, world refuses, going which way and that, world is unicorn whites ...

"Window ... Window is special girls, who can open Window, see the tides and currents that push and pull lives ... Rhonifolks blood ...

"Witch ... Witch interprets what Windows see.

"Witches are scary ... Witches weave through Chaos.

"Witches only come from West."

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 07/03/12 18:06 UTC.
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
AJ
AJ
Hertfordshire, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,847
Posts140,854
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy