Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 75 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Me say what me think. When decided, let Darian know. We go sit by fire and close eyes."

As she rose, she glanced down to Cesare, a bit of a question there in her eyes. Would he join her? The others had taken rest while they scouted. She wanted to take some now, while she could.

Bekkah

She is so used to doing things on her own that listening to this group makes her head swim. She does offer her sister and Lia a smile as they seem to be mending things between them. At least it's a start.

When she spoke, it was in a soft, controlled voice. It was on purpose that she spoke quietly, something she had learned from the priestesses.

"Friends, I have listened to all of you discuss this for some time now. And without doubt, you could still be discussing this long after the Imperials have come and gone. It is time to make decisions. And the first is a simple one. Are you a group that will stick together? If some of you intend to leave on your own, and go your own ways for good, then my blessings go with you on your journeys. For those of you who wish to leave her and reunite, then you have another decision, equally simple. Does each of you act on your own, or will you band together and follow a leader? Choose now. Decide in your hearts and state it. At least for now, Daxia has seemed to lead you. I for one will follow her. She is smart and knows well the people who oppose you. Make your own choices. If you do not deem her worthy and do not wish to lead yourself or follow another, then state what you intend to do this eve and we can proceed. This leadership is temporary. In other situations others may well be better suited and at that time, I trust Daxia to turn over leadership or that the group will naturally follow another and then Daxia will have to make the same choice as to follow or leave."

She looked at each of them.

"The time to decide and declare our plans is now. What will it be?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He just grunts softly and continues to devour his breakfast/dinner not feeling a need to answer. His Contract with Daxia is known to everyone here. However some have claimed to not feel they were a part of the group, so if they choose to leave he will wish them well.

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi could always survive alone, once she was outside, so how they got there meant nothing to her. But she had developed an affection for Mikal, and opened herself up to him in the process; so she felt considerable responsibility for his well-being.

After a quick glance in his direction, she decided she would choose whatever path he preferred -- the path that protected him. She was not very good at meeting new people or making friends, so giving one up was not something she was prepared to do. She wasn't exactly sure he had the same degree of affection for *her*, but why chance it?

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He listens as usual, his sharp eyes moving from one to another, impressions building the more he gets to know these people. Then he catches Darrian's look and decides he should say what he has to say now, other opportunities beckon.

"There is one place where such equipment may not be needed to get over the wall, where there are already crates but that area is too under observation to use again."

These remarks are mainly directed at Daxia and Mikal. He looks at Camelia next.

"We should stay together."

That might be a direct response to her suggestion to split the group up or it might relate to just the two of them.. but there seems to be something more personal there now.

Then his attention is back to Daxia, prompted by Bekkah's remarks.

"I too am ready for travel. It is my life. I can always find my way and can use this to the advantage of us all whilst we travel together. I do not need roads but they do offer the smoothest path. I too seek others of my people so, for now, our paths can lie in the same direction."

He glances at Darian's back as she moves away.

"I too will get some rest."

And he turns to follow Darian.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She looks at Cammelia after Daxia and Cesare and Bekkah had spoken, a fierce look on her face.

"No. Noone is expendable. Not even as a joke. Noone. Its all . . or none. And if they capture someone, then I'll have to figure out how to break into the Rock itself to get them out, whatever the rest of you may do. If you are with me, I am with you, and that is not something I will change my mind about."

She looks back at each.

"My decision is that whatever all of you decide, I will do my best to execute it and make it work. I have stated my ideas, and once all work things out - that is what I will do."

She pauses.

"Again, with the point I just said in mind."

And then she sits back down. . and nurses her drink.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 07/02/12 20:13 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang in the Commons

When Kadri finished her impassioned statement, Daxia regarded her for a moment, then nodded solemnly. Then she looked between the two who had yet to state their intentions.

"Celi... Camelia... will you stay with the group, work with the plan as outlined?"

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian and Longtooth with Cesare away from the group, near the fire

Darian managed to find a spot to fit the three of them comfortably. Longtooth's sad eyes or sharp teeth may have had something to do with it too. She sat down and waited until Cesare had as well before making herself comfortable. As always Longtooth sprawled at her feet, and, because of their closeness and the hound's size, at Cesare's feet.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

As they settle to get some sleep, Cesare's arm hooks around Darian, holding them close together. It would seem their familiarity has deepened somewhat.

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"I have said my thoughts. THey applied to a split party. Mikal says that the only workable plan is to leave together, and I go where he goes, so I will go with the group and do whatever is asked of me.

"If we depart without hindrance, but someone sends men to chase us down, I can still manage an effective ambush. Long grass or forest, it matters not. They will not sneak up on us, and they will not attack us without heavy loss of life and the disruption of any attack plan. Feel free to ask Mikal if you do not believe this is within my capability."

#579834 Tue 07/02/12 22:48 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia watched Celi for long heartbeats. Finally, in a voice still, quiet and devoid of emotion, she said, "Have a care, Celi, with what you say. You are fortunate that the only representative of the Imperial Court is a Priestess of Lady Attera the Merciful. There are others who would interpret your words in a way that would have you standing before the Justice of Hastur before any could speak on your behalf." She lowered her voice so it was barely audible. "None would speak on your behalf, Celi, for the crime of which you would be accused, because we would then burn along with you."

She held the younger woman's gaze for the space of several breaths.

"Do you understand what I am saying to you, Celi?"

C
C
Camelia

"Of course...." she shrugs, "Let's get on with it, shall we? We have a lot of work to do before we leave."

Because there was no other choice.

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi studied Daxia for a long time. There was more in her slate-blue eyes eyes than a simple country girl's naiveté. SHe was calculating, and weighing her options. What she now understood was that these people had asked her to help them, and to keep *their* secrets, but were taking pains to make sure Celi knew secret-keeping was a one-sided arrangement. They would unhesitatingly kick her under the wagon at the first hint of Imperial entanglement to save themselves.

Idly, she glanced at Mikal. Was he part of this? Clearly, she should not have trusted him with what knowledge she had shared earlier. Otherwise her assertions would have merely been apocryphal, and of no immediate threat to anyone. She looked away from him, her jaw muscles hardening. Too late to do anyhting about that, and the bitter taste in her mouth from imagining Mikal selling her out was hard to swallow.

"I take your point. I had merely intended to allay any fears about pursuit; I see you have other, more immediate fears. To allay these, I will separate myself from your group as soon as we are free of these rancid city walls, and thereafter see to my own safety. You need fear no further involvement in my activities."

She was suddenly disgusted. Gram had made it clear that all mis-believers were not to be trusted, for they lived in fear of losing some increment of their own slice of Mother Nature's bounty, and would put a boot in the face of those around them in order to get a leg up. She had thought Gram's assessment over-harsh, and had hoped to prove her wrong. Mikal, who had excited a number of different feelings in her, was to have been her grand experiment.

So much for grand experiments.

"SO then, Daxia: what do you want me to do before we leave this place?"

#579873 Wed 08/02/12 06:21 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia just closed her eyes, shook her head, and sighed. After a moment, she opened her eyes and looked at Mikal. "You are my Second. I am making Celi your responsibility. Since she clearly did not hear what Kadri said, and seems to have misunderstood nearly everything I have been saying, there is no more I can say. I would be grateful to you, however, if you would try to explain that I am attempting to save her life." The joy she had exhibited when she entered the commons was gone; she was serious, and a wave of sadness crossed her face. "It is my duty as a Dayalan, something that she would have known had her grandmother completed her education."

Then she turned again to Celi. "Follow Mikal's instructions."

She pushed her chair back and stood, grabbing a chunk of bread. "I will speak with Dunwich about travel rations, and settle our tab with him. We will be leaving soon."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

His expression neutral and guarded, he nods to Daxia after watching her exchange with Celi carefully. He then turns to Celi and offers her a quick look of both warning and exasperation.

He told this to her when they were outside, and he had even tried to intervene when he thought things were going too far upstairs. All he says in this public setting, though, is: "We can talk when we leave for the warehouse. For now, just relax and get something to eat. We don't know when we'll be able to stop to eat next."

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi almost snapped off a retort, but didn't. Something was holding her back; it was her nascent feelings for Mikal, feelings she refused to abandon.

"Tell me what we are doing now. I am afraid to say anything to anyone, lest I be accused of heresy. I only thought to assuage their worries about our escape, and all I did was make it worse. I wouldn't say anything around strangers; I'm not *completely* off my nut. Really I'm not. But these are your people, and I only hoped to reassure them.

"Was that so wrong? And why did the think I must employ some occult methods, rather than having a gang in reserve, one of well-armed ... ah, associates?"

She looked quite forlorn. "I am trying to fit in with other people. I am trying to fit in with ... you."

#579954 Thu 09/02/12 12:33 UTC
Bekkah

Still sitting next to Celi, she reached out and touched her hand, squeezing it gently and giving her a reassuring smile.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He sighs. They really need to talk. Problem is he becoming afraid of what that talk will reveal, and as his mother told him, You cannot unsay things once said, so watch your tongue. That also applies to unhearing things once heard.

"For now the byword is discretion. You've come from a place, from what you told me, where it was just you and your gram. You had no need to worry about what you did or said with her. You are not in that place any more. You need to always worry. It is safer to be careful. Blend in. If you make yourself noticeable, you can't control who notices."

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"I am *trying* to blend in," Celi insisted. "I am trying to be helpful, to show others that they can count on me. To show *you* ..." She glanced at Bekkah's hand, then gave her an appreciative glance.

She sighed. "As you know, I do not have a surfeit of urban skills. I do not play well with others. Most of the time, I do not even know what 'others' are doing. Instead, I had hoped to offer you a sample of what I can do, and then pray for your acceptance. Are you afraid of me? Am I stupid or ugly beyond tolerance?"

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Thu 09/02/12 23:18 UTC.
#580041 Fri 10/02/12 00:01 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - to Celi

"Of course you are not stupid, nor ugly. But I do not think a busy tavern with dozens of people within hearing distance is the place to continue this discussion. We will talk, on the street, or in the warehouse. For now, just have a meal and watch. "

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi closed her eyes and took several deep breaths, letting the stubbornness melt from her system. When she opened her eyes, the sense of betrayal had gone, and all she felt was chagrin for allowing her desperation to lead her around by the nose.

"I will be quiet, Mikal. I will say and do nothing, until we are beyond the walls and needs must."

Unless he spoke to her first. She decided to allow herself that much leeway, just in case she got lucky.

"What about supplies for the road? I do not have any funds to make necessary purchases, but ... ah, I can forage once we are outside."

#580123 Fri 10/02/12 14:50 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - to Celi

"Yes. Foraging will be needed. Daxia went to see if she can buy some trail rations from the Horde. They will last longer and be cheaper and lighter to carry than fresh. Not as tasty of course. Dried fruit, dried meat, dried vegetables. Best in a stew when we have time to boil water. If you can find herbs along the trail to flavour it up that would be great."

He pauses.

"And you do not have to say nothing, Celi. Just imagine there is an Eye of Hastur sitting behind your shoulder and decide if what you are about to say is safe for those ears. You never know when that might be true."

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi couldn't help looking over her shoulder with a little shiver, imagining the All-Seeing Eye staring at her in jaundiced suspicion.

"Don't do that," she said. "If someone is going to come up behind me and scare me, I would rather it be you. I can find ..." she almost started listing off what she could find: herbs, edible root stock, fresh meat. But instead, she shook her head and clamped her lips shut, made a lock-turning gesture at one corner of her mouth, then mimed swallowing the key and saying nothing thereafter.

She looked rather proud of herself.

#580160 Fri 10/02/12 18:00 UTC
C
C
Camelia

She finished her bread and ale in a few bites and swallows, then picked up her bundles and headed for the door.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"If we are settled then. . I will see to Lisica and settle my accounts here."

And, unless stopped, she does just that.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Wren
Wren
Pennsylvania
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,835
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy