Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Pandemonium), 26 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi had no problem with Kadri's limited evaluation of her; she was happy to maintain a low profile in these urban environs. She would simply make herself available as Mikal needed -- or as the team needed -- once they were outside the walls. Then she could flex her abilities and assume some greater responsibility.

#576930 Thu 19/01/12 17:29 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"As far as sending messages . . . I have plenty of business with Samara which is. . completely unrelated to the matter at hand, would there e any reason I couldn't ask her here to talk about an ongoing job - and then ask her about . . .this. . once she is here?"
She pauses.

"No-one is expendable - including a messanger."

(I believe that is everyone)

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Thu 19/01/12 17:46 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He looks over at Kadri. "No, they're not. However a messenger is more likely to be safe than one of us. If they harm one they will not be able to get one to work for them later on when they need one. They might intercept him, and try to get him to tell them what message he is carrying, or take any note he carries from him, but I doubt they'd physically harm him. Whereas one of us", he shrugs, "fewer guarantees."

(OOC - There is an odd echo to his voice as it floats up out of the dragon's throat.)

Bekkah

"Mikal, That's the reasoning I was using for going myself. Nobody would dare touch me. I've been away from places even remotely the size of Cragside for a very long time, but I still doubt things have degraded that much."

"But having said that, I will defer to the general consensus in case I have been in outlying areas too long." she added in her soft tone.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang and Elise in Captain Koromov's room

Daxia shrugged and looked at Kadri. "You know Samara, you know town, you know trusted messengers. Need fastest, safest way get her here. You decide that, yes? You know best." She looked around the room again. "Then we figure out how get out of Cragside."

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Lia>

She nodded at the messenger suggestion and said quietly, "As the fate currents blow." It had a formal sound to it.

#577013 Fri 20/01/12 04:10 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

". . Then if no-one disagrees, I will at least try to send the messenger with that message. . if someone. . well. . . if someone will write it for me? If someone intercepts it, it will tell them nothing except that I really need to discuss pressing business with the Samuel warehouse down by Hayseed. Its actually an empty warehouse, so if they break in, there will be nothing there. And that I am asking her for conversation about an empty warehouse should be a clue to her that its important."

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"How is this Messenger known?" Celi asked. "By his livery? Credentials? Or Both?

"Why not simply ... ah, borrow the appropriate credentials and attire, and deliver your message in such fashion. This would eliminate any possibility of a misunderstood message, the same generic immunity would apply as to an outside messenger, and depending upon who is sent in the guise of the messenger, might even provide instant credibility to Samara or whomever receives the message."

#577028 Fri 20/01/12 12:02 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Lia>

"I would write it if you want," she says quietly and then offers a thin smile. "If it is still the wish after Celi's suggestion."

Then she looked to the others patiently waiting a decision.

#577029 Fri 20/01/12 12:19 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang and Elise in Captain Koromov's Room

Having stepped out of the room when Kadri outlined the message to be sent to Samara, Daxia returned only a few moments later, empty-handed. She walked in on the tail end of Lia's comment, and gave her a slightly confused look. But she shrugged and said to Kadri, "Juli run message to Samara. Jake say ok; nobody hurt her, he say. She smart, even if talk without breathing," she said with a grin in Darian's direction. "Samara come soon. Now we talk about how we leave Cragside."

She sat down on the bed beside Elise and, taking the girl's hand, said, "Miss Samara will be here soon. You will be safe with her." The she looked at Mikal.

[OOC: Will add further thoughts when I get to the office.]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"There are always ways out. Generally places are built to keep people out. There might be a bit more trouble as the guards may be more alert, more frequent, but there will be opportunities and places where we can get on and over the wall. If anyone who knows this place can identify them that would be good, otherwise I.. we.. will need to scout."

He holds up a hand forestalling the protests he knows he'll receive.

"And yes I hadn't forgotten that quite a few of you have horses - and even in such short acquaintance I know you would not leave them behind. However I was thinking that maybe we could use the cart idea, engaging someone to send a couple of carts outside with horses harnessed to pull and the odd one tied behind. As long as they have one of theirs included to take the cart back in, then you can reclaim your mounts. That said, I'm on foot as are others. Purchasing a cart and horse would be good but don't think anyone has funds enough."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

[...continuation of previous post...]

"I think the gates are closed to keep Lord Shannon's troops out, as much as anything else," Daxia said. "The Merchant Princes run this town without interference from the Shannons as long as taxes are paid on time and there is no trouble; it's an arrangement that pleases both parties. We have caused trouble.

"The Merchant Princes do not want the Shannon troops here because they -- the merchants -- will bear the scrutiny. The merchants would obviously like the problem to disappear before Lord Shannon and his advisors finish talking the issue out and begin assembling the troops.

"They have a dead Imperial on their hands. This is a big problem. It is not something they want on their hands. If they could honestly point a finger in another direction -- a direction that is anywhere outside of Cragside -- I believe they would be happy doing so. They want the problem to go away. They do not want Lord Shannon’s troops in their town, interfering with their business, both honest and dishonest.

"They know one of our number killed the Velikii. We are the problem. I believe they would be happiest if we left, so they could point Lord Shannon's troops down the road and legitimately say, 'The problem is there; do not look at us.' The Mark is interested in the ore; we are leaving the ore where it belongs -- with Elise. So I do not believe they will be an issue.

"I do not think we will have has much problem getting out of Cragside as you might think. But we do need to get out before Lord Shannon and his advisors finish their debates, and assemble the troops, because they will be an issue. The death of an Imperial -- no matter how vile the man, or how much he deserved his death -- is a matter that cannot be ignored and will have us standing in front of Lord Hastur's Justice.

"Despite Mikal's previous report, I think his friend at the gate may be more willing to let us out than you think. A direct approach might be more sensible in this situation than subterfuge. The question is how quickly can we get eight people, a large ruff and three horses out of town? For myself, I can be ready to ride half a candlemark after we have Elise settled with Samara; most of that time spent donning my armor."

She looked around the room. "The Storm season has begun and the only direction to go from here is west, and there is little choice of path before reaching Brementown, so that is where we must go. We may as well travel together, at least that far."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Ready now."

A Rhoni is always always ready to move on. It is what they do.

"But if there is time would like to talk to the captain before leaving."

He exchanges a glance with Lia.

That discussion might determine whether he travels with this group or not. He is already feeling closed in, possibly forced into the choices of others, though that feeling might lift once they are out of town.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He shrugs. "Willing to try asking him about leaving. And I can have myself and Talia ready when Daxia is. Not too pleased about being labelled as Imperial Criminals and spending my life looking over my shoulder for agents of Hastur, though."

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"How soon Shannon men come? Mayhap trickle out like stream, not rush like flood."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia shrugged. "I don't like the idea either, Mikal. But our option is staying here with the merchants and thieves of Cragside, and looking over our shoulders every minute as they try to put knives in our backs, while waiting for Hastur's Justice to find us guilty -- for we are -- and hope that Bekkah stands outside the Justice's reach to grant us Mercy, or that Lady Alice would grant Mercy should Bekkah be caught in the snare." She shook her head. "Neither option is particularly appealing."

She turn to Darian and considered her question. "If Conrad went directly to his father..." She paused, biting her lower lip. "If Lord Shannon's advisors like to talk as much as Khorall Linnell's advisors do, we might have until just past dawn tomorrow. But if they like to talk less, we may only have a few hours." She shrugged again, but smiled this time. "Advisors do like to talk, and make themselves indispensable."

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"Leave them slow evidence pointing to someone else ... say, from the thieves' guild," Celi suggested. "A couple of bought but slightly inebriated witnesses, then the discovery of an appropriate cloak and arrows...

"... such a red herring might not stand the full-light-of-day inspection, but it ought to confuse them for a while, which would slow them down from following. With enough lead time, we can do things with the trail to further mislead them."

#577140 Fri 20/01/12 20:50 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Lia>

She nodded, barely, in response to Cesare's look and brief look of surprise flickered in her eyes when Celi offered her suggestion.

Last edited by Raven; Fri 20/01/12 20:54 UTC.
#577151 Fri 20/01/12 22:31 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

Khannish's follower chewed her lip thoughtfully then asked, "Kadri, how long till Samara come?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Early Morning, the Town of Cragside
Rameday The First Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Camelia, Celi, Cesare, Kadri, Daxia, Bekkah, Mikah and Darian and Longtooth

"This room?"

"Ja, this room, it's actually Captain Koromov's and all, but she's being right nice and sharing it."

" ... interesting ..."

The words came from the hallway, through the door. One was a familiar young voice, the other much older and familiar to one but recognizable to another. Longtooth's ears perked and his head lifted, the ruff's gaze focusing on the door.

There was a knock first and then the door opened to reveal a tall middle aged woman in an elegant but simple tunic and overtunic. Her tunic's colors were deep blue - almost black - and white, bound at the waist by a wide leather belt carved in rippling knotwork.

"You folks were looking for me?"

Samara Kelleni.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She offers a quick bow, crossing her arms across her check and grabbing each shoulder.

". . I requested you. . as I think. . you might be the best way out of a dilemma - both for us - " She looks around at those in the room.

" - and for Mistress Elise. This matter. . needs to be settled - before the Imperials get involved to her detriment - or the thieves and merchants of this city attempt to take what legacy her father left her and leave her destitute. You knew her father - this is - his daughter."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang, Elise and Samara in Captain Koromov's Room

Daxia looked up at the merchant from where she sat beside Elise, and gently squeezed the girl's hand. "As Kadri hinted, we seem to have caused more than a little trouble in our efforts to distract the thieves of this town from Elise's property, and in rescuing her from the man who had kidnapped, drugged and... hurt her. Lady Bekkah healed her injuries, but the lingering effects of lowvine have left her groggy still. She has lost her family, and I would not see her lose her inheritance as well, if it can be helped." She looked at Elise for a moment, sadness in her deep blue eyes, before turning back to Samara. "Kadri trusts you. I have seen... patterns, connections... that give me hope that you can help Elise. For these reasons, and because you showed true concern for her and her father just yesterday, I thought to ask if you would be willing to act as guardian for Elise, and ensure that she gets a fair price for her ore.

"But you should also know that in rescuing Elise, one of our number was forced to kill the man who had kidnapped her. It seems most odd, to me at least, that an Imperial of the Velikii house should be kidnapping and harming young girls, but... such is the case. It adds a complication to Elise's life; this on top of all of the thieves in this town trying to steal her ore. And I have yet to discover just exactly what the Mark is doing here," she mused.

She looked around at her companions. "Unfortunately, the death of this Imperial, however deserving it might be, makes it necessary for us to leave Cragside as soon as possible. But we must be sure both this child and her inheritance are safe first."

Daxia looked back at Samara, a glint of humor in her eyes and a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. "And should the best price for Elise's ore come from Khorall Linnell, you might mention that... Daxia think this what Heir want," she said, slipping back into her Dawnview accent.

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Lia>

She looked carefully at this woman she'd never seen before and silently nodded a polite greeting.

#577187 Sat 21/01/12 06:46 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Hmmm. Not even a dismissal. Maybe I need to set off an explosion before offering input. That way, at least I would know I had been heard.

Celi got the impression that they were going to do whatever Daxia wanted, no matter who else had input at variance with her plan. Then she would assign elements of her plan to the others in the room, explaining as she went why they were the obvious choice for the task she wanted to assign them.

And brooking no demurral.

Celi decided she would just hang around, back Mikal's play and help the others however she could, until they got back in the Wild. Then ... no more Ms Nice Guy.

Her normal cautious expression turned into something of a thousand-yard stare for a brief duration, subsequent to which she dimpled briefly, the ghost of a momentary smile of pleasure.

#577200 Sat 21/01/12 15:54 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Early Morning, the Town of Cragside
Rameday The First Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Camelia, Celi, Cesare, Kadri, Daxia, Bekkah, Mikah and Darian and Longtooth

"So you want to drop the red hot coal ... coals ... into my hands?"

Samara Kelleni eyed the small group speculatively. She looked from one to another to another to another. And finally lets her gaze land upon the orphaned lass.

"I cannot take in a ward, and I do not think it is charity you are looking for.

"I could, however consider taking on an apprentice.

"What do you think of that Elisa?"

The young woman brushed back her hair, looking at those gathered around her. A hand rose, to push her tangled locks from her brow so she could blink and see better.

"I ... I ... well ... I do not think i be having much of a choice.

"There are worse fates in the world, so ..."

Her eyes closed for a handful of heartbeats,

"Ja, I can do that ... it is a deal."

Important words they were, for a follower of Marrennen.

Samara retuned the acceptance with a nod. She crossed her arms however, and wile her words were friendly, they were concerned.

'That does not, however, answer the question on how you plan to keep the Mercantile and Khollish Guilds from coming down upon me ... us. Nor what to say when I get a visit by a Knight and a Judge asking me why my girl and her friends decided to kill an Imperial at my own warehouse door?"

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums104
Topics2,887
Posts141,743
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy