Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Zeim, Asta), 40 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 35 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 34 35
Gypsy #567211 Sat 12/11/11 23:04 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi followed Mikal like an imprinted cygnet, stopping when he stopped but staying out of his way, doing her best to learn what she could about his manner and his expedctations. If she was going to be useful, she needed to anticipate others' needs, if they fell within the range of her skills.

"You should sit, and hold our seats. I will order food and drink." That was a fair trade, she thought. If he paid her back for his share. She would do the legwork, which should allow him to learn whatever it was he was hoping to learn.

She could tell by his body language that he was casually absorbing the gist of every conversation within earshot, no doubt selectively retaining those pertinent to his needs.
Just being able to sort that much babbling was admirable to her. She had trouble with one at a time.

"Any preferences for supper? Do you want ale? Wine? Water? Cold goat's milk?"

#567216 Sat 12/11/11 23:21 UTC
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He is about to tell her that there are waitresses who will come and take their order, but she looks so earnest and eager that the words stop before they leave his lips. Instead, he simply says, "Ale. And for food, anything hot. Meat of some kind if it's available, thanks."

He pauses as Celi looks to move off. "Stew is fine if that all there is."

Turning back to the table he introduces himself. "I am Mikal, and that is Celi."

Zeim #567218 Sat 12/11/11 23:31 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi headed for the innkeeper, who was handling one patron after another and seemed inordinately busy. So she tried one of the sharper-looking waitstaffers instead.

"Excuse me. I wanted to order food for two; bread, ale, and milk if you have it, water if you don't. We're over there," she pointed out Mikal. "As far as food goes, what is available?"

Gypsy #567221 Sun 13/11/11 00:38 UTC
(Camelia, with her Sister, Daxia and Cesare)

Camelia didn't know these other two. In actuality she didn't know Dandelion either, but the claim to kinship was unmistakeable, but it was private time she wanted with her sister. She had little interest in speaking freely before these others. But this wasn't her place nor had she been consulted when the redhead was invited to join. She spoke oddly as though words were missing. Camelia was from trundle on the Hill and even though they spoke Colonial Imperial, there was a custom of diction and clarity of enunciation expected. The Redhead spoke in less than plain vernacular and that made it very hard for her to follow, or even grasp at the idioms she was using.

Then came another who had been at the gate with them, but she didn't know him either. He invited himself and asking for permission after seating yourself was impertinent at best, rude at worst. He presumed much and cared not for that fact either it seemed.

Camelia sat back, not making eye contact, hands in her lap. And while this man addressed the redhead about his invitation and whilst he made himself comfortable, Camelia spoke softly at Dandelion.

"Perhaps I should step away and when there is a better time, we can speak..."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Camelia, Captain Koromov and Cesare

When Cesare invited himself to join the group, Daxia simply looked at him with a raised eyebrow and shrugged. "Nah." Then she turned back to the Captain, noting Camelia's discomfort, and she studied the younger woman for a moment, piercing blue eyes reading demeanor and body language. "You wish to say something to me, Verchovai? Your sister, I think, would like less audience for your reunion, yes?"

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Conrad

He came over to sit with Comfrey but paused as he saw her in conversation with one of the other ladies from their day's travel. He did not want to interrupt a private conversation.

Gypsy #567271 Sun 13/11/11 04:28 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Comfrey to Kadri>

She smiles a bit in return, her mind still processing the past few minutes. "It is nice to meet you," she paused before gamely trying the name as formality appeared call for from the bow, "Kadri djinn Lisica al'Izgon. The weather and then other things made it a bit um... difficult for introductions. I'm Comfrey."

Her gazed stayed on Kadri. Hopefully she'd be able to sit and get something inside herself soon. If not, not. These things happened.

Last edited by Raven; Sun 13/11/11 04:35 UTC.
#567277 Sun 13/11/11 06:04 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Between Dusk and Dawn, the Town of Cragside
Marketday
The Twenty-Fourth Day of the Month of Raven, 2623

Everybody

The horde's commander blinks, looking across to Daxia, a bit confused at her first statement.

"Isn't that what I had just said?"

She look between Camelia and the younger Dayalan, once, twice and thrice, her lips becoming a thin line.

"It is not common to find our sisters out on the trail. I had thought matters may have been of interest to you, but if not, well ... then ..."

She lets the words fall off, leaning against the back wall and crossing her arms. She then casts a sidelongs glance to Camelia.

"I figure you have all sorts of questions, and I do to, but I don't want to scare you away; me and Erika can be kind of fierce. But It was my understanding that you all came in together; are these not your travelling companions ..."

Her words hold for a minute, then two.

" ... I was hoping they were at the least acquaintances, perhaps compatriots, perhaps even friends. Is there a reason ... you are uncomfortable with them?"

Out in the commons, the conversations start to burble into being again, with several looks in the direction of the hearth, speculation most likely. At the bar a pair of bowls, bread and two ales are set out for Celi, that and a nod towards one of the big stewpots fo filling the bowls.

"There ya go, lass. That should settle you."

For Darian the answer was equally simple.

"Sure enough ..."

Answered one of the bar maids.

"A good bit of these folks should be breaking up in a bit, then there should be a space by the fire. Between me and you, it might be nicer than stuffing you all in one of the rooms upstairs."

Wolf #567278 Sun 13/11/11 06:11 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"The warmth of the fire will do us both good," she says, offering an easy smile to the barmaid.

"Could you tell me...is there a tanner or furrier near to here? I've some skins I'd like to trade in the morn."

ividia #567282 Sun 13/11/11 12:02 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri to Comfrey

"I might suggest some hot Kavas - and the stew here is. . .rather good, actually, as long as you aren't interested in something fancy. It fills well. And. . when you are this wet - that seat right there - "

She motions.

"Tends to stay warm, and avoids any drafts from the main door."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Camelia, Captain Koromov and Cesare

Daxia look at the other Dayalan, eyes narrowing. "Am aware we are few outside the Vale," she said. "Am not aware of matters you speak of, and cannot ask you questions I do not know." A fair bit of anger sparked in her eyes. "Do not wish to play Verchovia Kassia's word games with you, Verchovai Dandelion. Her, I know most of my life, can guess what she wants me to ask. You are stranger to me. You have things to say to me, you say them. Or shall I fetch buckets of water for you instead?"

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #567302 Sun 13/11/11 13:41 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Comfrey with Kadri and Conrad near>

Everyone's been somewhere but me! Comfrey almost laughs at herself as the indignant thought begins to rise in her head. She's been somewhere too, just not this somewhere. There are many somewheres; few could be to too many of them.

She looks to Conrad, who is near, and arches a silent eyebrow in invitation. Lady Artemisia had told her that while she might be able to find welcome most places, others might not. True or not, that didn't really matter. They were traveling together and it would be ill-mannered not to continue doing such until and unless there was discussion.

"My wants are few," she said frankly to Kadri. "And yous?"

#567313 Sun 13/11/11 13:59 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri with COmfrey

"My wants?"

She pauses, thinking.

"Hot meals, a good laugh, whatever freedom I can find along the way, to be challenged and be challenging. To find and see new things and marvel at them - whether here or on the road."

She pauses and grins widely.

"But right now."

She motions a server over.

"What I truly want is some of that warm stew."

#567316 Sun 13/11/11 14:18 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

SO much for her water. Celi shrugged, smiled. "Thank you. YOu are most kind."

She had no idea when she was supposed to settle up, but she figured they would ask for an accounting when they had finished toting up their ales. She hauled the bread and ales to the table and served Mikal, then took the bowls to the stewpot, where she filled his and put a slightly smaller quantity in her. Back she came; Celi moved like a cat, more of a glide than a stride, reacting almost naturally to traffic and incursions into her travel path, maintaining her balance and her awareness with no difficulty.

"There we have it," she said. "It is hot and it smells very good; it is making my mouth water, in fact. And, there were no dead people stacked around it, so it appears to be edible." She dimpled slightly, showing a hint of mischief that sometimes crept into her otherwise cautious demeanor. As she drew up her chair, she internalized a moment, issuing a brief silent thanks to Nature for Her bounty and Her grace, then dug in with gusto.

She hadn't realized how hungry she was; she had not eaten earlier, and she hadn't shared the gray's oats and hay during her stable stay.

With her mouth still a little full and waving a piece of bread to emphasize her words, Celi asked, "Is it a safe thing to ask where you are bound and what you seek? Tell me all you do not put a price on, and I guarantee rapt attention."

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Conrad

He came over to the table once he saw the sign from Comfrey that it wasn't a private conversation and joined them.

"Good evening. I do not believe that we have met. I am Squire Lord Conrad Shannon. It is a pleasure to meet you." he said, nodded to Kadri.

Last edited by KenSeg; Sun 13/11/11 14:42 UTC.
#567329 Sun 13/11/11 15:11 UTC
Camelia

She ignored Dandelion's comments on her associations and acquaintances for the moment. Explaining that would require a bit more patience, especially where the telling of her travels led to meeting five others and then more traveling and then three more all commonly joined in a moment of tension and conflict. No, she hardly knew any of them, a couple better than most and a few barely at all... even to include their names. Did that really matter though? Fate and Destiny were at work.

Camelia remembered what her mother had been doing the night before her abduction, all night... into the wee hours. It was morning when she was woken and hurriedly prepared, understanding little but trusting in her Mother and knowing of her duty. Right now, she wished for her own deck, still safe and secure in her room, and then perhaps she might find some sense of understanding for all of this. Something grave lurked, with tendrils drifting outwards, ensnaring all manner of principles, many even thinking they played the lead in this all. There was no such thing as coincidence.... The truth in that was that those who did, simply couldn't see the grand design unfolding.

"Enough," she said flatly and calmly looking between the women who called themselves Dayalans. That was a word her mother used a few times, but refused to explain it to her. As though her mother believed she were protecting Camelia from some destiny. Foolish that, her Mother knew better than she that destiny claimed whoever it would, and no man nor woman would stop it. Now, here in this place they bandied the words about them as though it were common vernacular. And maybe it was, and Camelia was sheltered from it all.

No longer, from the moment she accepted her role and allowed herself to be taken, from the moment she stepped out from the shadow her Mother cast over her life, she was in charge of her own fate and future.

"You bicker like you were younglings, the pair of you."

Perhaps it was impertinent of her to assert herself in this company, but she was not beholden to either woman, nor in awe of their titles and accomplishments. She had been raised and trained and all the wise counsel and tutelage led her to an understanding of things beyond her years. So many years living the life at the Court, preparing herself in public to serve among them and advise her closest friend, helping her navigate dangerous political paths, and then in private, a double life, training to be more, learning skills that had no practical purpose where she was. But she was dutiful and she was trained to be a leader... even if she had no one to lead... Always looking to the future was her Mother.

She continued, unconcerned by her company demeanor. Her voice low, but firm, as though she were and always had been the person in charge. it was often how she spoke privately with young Lady Deynekko when they both found themselves in circumstances that merited extreme care among her peers.

"I may not know my place in the grand tapestry, nor even see all threads woven against mine, but I can surely foresee that this moment was not chance, nor coincidence. I may well be the youngest at this table, and the youngest in this whole room for that matter, but I am not a simple child either. Look around you, even your own words tell you that this is not a normal affair. But rather, one born to be noticed, as much as the grand conjunctions of the moons. The Fates weave as they will and here we are. Respect our place within it, and accept that we all have been woven for a purpose and a plan into this very time and place."

She finished but looked between each of them women, that arched eyebrow look that asked an unspoken question... Do you understand me?

#567337 Sun 13/11/11 15:45 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He had expected some tension in Cami, maybe even the captain but had not thought to see any freom Daxia. He raises one eyebrow slightly, unsure of what to do now. But he can see his opportunity, slim as it probably is, dwindling further. And he hates regretting missed opportunity. He would rather be damned for something he does, rather than not making the most of something.

He clears his throat, partially to divert attention his way, hoping that maybe he might diffuse or at least distract the current edginess.

He directs his remarks directly to the two sisters.

"May I introduce myself?" Again he doesn't wait to be asked. "I am Cesare kha'Jasmine kha'Sayako kha'Twilight kha'Horosha Danika. You named a Rhoni lineage earlier. I am looking for my people. When convenient, perhaps we could talk further?"

He inclines his head respectfully. In some ways these are his kin.

Last edited by Gypsy; Sun 13/11/11 15:46 UTC.
KenSeg #567342 Sun 13/11/11 16:08 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri with Conrad and Comfrey)

Originally Posted by KenSeg
Conrad

He came over to the table once he saw the sign from Comfrey that it wasn't a private conversation and joined them.

"Good evening. I do not believe that we have met. I am Squire Lord Conrad Shannon. It is a pleasure to meet you." he said, nodded to Kadri.

(Just responding to the greeting before I leave for work to free people up for at least one post)

"Kadri djinn Lisica al'Izgon."

Her voice was soft and gentle, and a bit lyrical- and it was obvious that while she spoke it well, this was not her native tongue.

She bows slightly, crossing her arms in front of her, each hand resting on the opposite shoulder.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal with Celi and unknown Horde members

He watches her as she weaves sinuously thru the crowd, balancing bowls and mugs. He exchanges greeting with the other men at the table and settles his wet outer wear on the back of his chair.

When Celi returns with stew and ale and sets them down, he says, "Thank you, Celi. You know, when you're ready for more, those girls", he nods towards the barmaids, "will gladly bring us a re-fill. But t'was nice to not have to wait. 'Tis a busy place and you've saved my stomach from rumbling."

As she asks him about his goals, he pauses. Lifting a spoonful of stew to his mouth, he flicks his eyes meaningfully at their table companions before answering. They are not alone, and besides the fact that he is still not so sure about this group, based on all he's heard over the years, even were they simply a competing Troop, he'd no want to divulge too much lest it cost him later on.

So after washing the spoonful of stew down with a swig of ale, he says simply, "My short-term goal I have reached. 'Twas simply to reach Cragside. Now as I am here, the next step begins."

He reaches to his purse and squeezes it where Celi can see. This much at least anyone could guess. "After taking care of Killian, I am doubtful as I've got enough coin to keep me and Tal thru the winter, so I expect to begin looking around come morning. Fact the gate guard knew me bodes well at least."

He takes another spoon of stew. "And what about you, young lady? Must say I've never run into so many women in a roadside inn, at the same time, before. And the fact none of them seem to have been together makes it even odder."

He leaves it there, not wanting to put her on the spot and ask her for details in front of others. Let her say what she is comfortable saying.

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 13/11/11 16:12 UTC.
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Conrad

"A pleasure to meet you. Shall we get something to eat?"

KenSeg #567356 Sun 13/11/11 17:22 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"'Tis no mystery tale. My Grandmother, with whom I lived, passed; I ha' lived all my life on her land, learning and doing such work as was required. Now ... the land required a more expert hand than mine, so I set out, hoping to make my way among other people.

"I was too sanguine, I fear, for I am not used to other people." She rocked her head side to side drolly. "I tend to speak when I *shouldn't* and *not* speak when I *should,* so I am striving to hold my counsel, find a place where my skills are valued, and work hard. I am very good with all animals; farm stock, horses, whatever. Hopefully, where we are going, something will present itself. I just hope to honor my Grandmother's memory, and in some wise repay all the time and effort she put into teaching me the important things in life. I don't suppose you need a squire? Someone to care for your horse. Talia? Polish your sword, oil your boots, fetch your stew. I can hunt. I can protect your back in a squabble..."

She set down her spoon, folded her hands in front of her, and tried to look both optimistic and competent.

KenSeg #567358 Sun 13/11/11 17:54 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Between Dusk and Dawn, the Town of Cragside
Marketday
The Twenty-Fourth Day of the Month of Raven, 2623

Everybody

"About a day's walk downstream and downwind, ma'am ..."

The barmaid replied to Darian. This made sense as the tanning process tended to create bad air and what was left over afterwards tended to be poisonous to the water it usually got dumped in.

"I'd try the merchant's barn come the morrow. You can by and sell most anything there."

At the hearth, the two minor explosions were met with a raised brow and a quirk to her lips. Captan Koromov just looked to Camelia, raised a hand to her chest and pressed her collarbone dimple, a silent but obvious, who, me?

She snorted just once, before answering Daxia. "Poppy Gwynn and Lightning Hooves taught me and I've only had the pleasure of Priestess Kassia's words when she calls me an uncivilized brat and then throws something at me. It has become a comfortable ritual and the only thing I can say about it is that is that my skill at ducking is keeping up with her skill at throwing things.

"This place, even this tavern, is my winter home and has been for many seasons. I'm settled here, Daxia Firetongue, I already know Cragside and the Rock and its folks. So if there are things you wish to know ... I cannot answer questions before they are asked."

Cesare's introduction happily interrupts the two Dayalans, the older one pausing as she followed the chain of names to their end.

"Fair met ... though I think Mother would say if you were meant to find them ... you ... would ... eventually... find ... them. kha'Jasmine, you said?"

Blue eyes turned to meet matching blue.

"You know, you may be right."

Running her fingers through her hair, she finally focused her attention back upon Camelia.

"And of course I bicker. Erika and I grew up in the only place Veilikii wouldn't dare come after us. For I am a brat, sister. An Alley brat to be precise, with the last handful of years - before Erika married Kiel Deynnekko and this strange woman with a sword dragged me off by my ear to the sea and Talesan's Village - believing Mother had died with Da and Uncle Yoska.

"Your sisters are both rough around the edges, dear. You can take us out of the Alley, sha, but you'll never get the Alley out of us. Erika at least remembered our palace holdings. I can't. I was too young.

"Christofer Veilikii wants us dead, Camelia.

"We were hidden in the Trundle Alley.

"Where did she hide you?"

OOC Note to Celi and the rest - There was a reason why beer, ale and even ciders were more prevalent than milk or water in the Middle Ages. Without refrigeration milk goes bad fast and in most cases you really don't want to drink the water unless you are very sure of where it came from (such as certain wells on The Heartwood). Beer, because of the brewing process, not only had good things in the ingredients (much richer than our modern beers) they also tended to be a bit healthier/safer to drink.

#567359 Sun 13/11/11 17:59 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Comfrey with Kadri and Conrad>

Part of her felt guilty for staying, there seemed no need for her here and there were other places she should perhaps be. Inwardly she shrugged, her exterior still placid.

"I'd have no disagreement with that," was all she said.

She cast her gaze around, alighting briefly on each of those she knew, even briefly, from their travels.

Wolf #567362 Sun 13/11/11 18:13 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Thank ye," she said as she collected the drinks and bowls for herself and Longtooth.

Looking down at the ruff, she told him to find a spot he was most comfortable with. Following his lead, she ended up at the table with Mikal and the impudent Celi. She had her own theories why.

The big ruff settled at her feet once she put down the food and drink for him. She kept her bow close for safety's sake. Her pack was leaned up against the side of her chair and her cloak draped over the back.

"Mikal, Celi," she greeted quietly.

ividia #567375 Sun 13/11/11 19:43 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri with Comfrey and Conrad

"Yes - the stew is quite good at warming you up, and the beer is palatable. I think that this table. " - she motiond - "Will give you the best cover from drafts from the doors. I like it at any rate."

Page 6 of 35 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 34 35

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Lord Barthok Soc
Member Spotlight
Pandemonium
Pandemonium
Oregon USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,849
Posts141,094
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy