Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (nem, Pandemonium), 47 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Phoenix Prime #566268 Tue 08/11/11 05:55 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Speak up!

Wolf #566270 Tue 08/11/11 06:44 UTC
Just my .02. There are a number of others here with experience and maybe a collective brain storming can aid the GM as HWD goes through some growing pains that many games do on DL.

As I said 1 post per 24hrs or complete player rotation or GM posting cycle works fairly well for combat. Everyone gets an action, the GM resolves the round.

but in conversation settings, one line responses back and forth will take forever. That is just a fact of life with a 9 player game. especially at 1 post per person per rotation or GM post or one every 24 hours.

in WDA i instituted a 2 post per 24 hr rule or complete rotation of all involved players. In an INN, some people might be in different areas so I allowed them to break up a bit and that speeds things up.

with two posts in conversation, the players can get something said, get a couple responses and somebody who is held up by real life isn't too very far behind and can still participate.

if the game had 4-5 people, i sometimes allowed 3 posts per person... but this gets cumbersome real fast with 7,8, or 9 players.

no system will be perfect and no system can please everyone.

the GM maintains the ultimate clock... when the GM posts, the 24hr clock resets automatically and everyone gets a post, so it is his job to make sure everyone gets their shot before they get overrun. but in conversation, a couple posts will enable some form of conversation to take place, a little back and forth as real conversations do, and anyone who is limited by time zone difference or RL can get in a post edgewise and still feel they are contributing.

when we were in the Plainsend, people fell into a couple of groups and spoke more personally and thus the rotation for the groups can go faster.

anyone else with ideas, or things they have tried in their games?

Phoenix Prime #566277 Tue 08/11/11 12:24 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
speaking of which, since I got confused about who was where and when in the posing we were, the clock will start with tonight's post - late tonight smile

Gypsy, what do you think of conversational posts like Jim is talking about versus GM posts on the 24 hour clock?

Wolf #566278 Tue 08/11/11 12:36 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
I don't object as a general principle. I reckon I'm a good enough player to write a post that incorporates part of a conversation that I have missed. The only problem comes when that conversation is happening around a character and it is a 'hot' topic for them - but the GM knows the characters and may need to 'slow' things down on occasion. smile

I really don't want to impose rules or restrictions on anyone. But there is a difference in my case. It is not RL intervening occasionally - I would expect to be posted past if I didn't post one day - but for me it is prety much =every= day. I post at lunch times most days.. I pick up all the USA evening and very early morning posts and respond. Then most of you guys go off to work. I often check back later (early evening my time/afternoon yours) to find maybe one post, possibly two but not enough for me to post again. I then sleep, go to work.. whilst all of you are actively playing. And the cycle repeats.

So let's try the 2 (player only) post conversational approach - though it will mean I will get to post only once to everyone else's twice - unless I talk to myself! lol It's been known! grin

Gypsy #566279 Tue 08/11/11 12:39 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Separate threads really help BTW - even for short conversations - it helps to remind others that they cannot hear the conversation taking place and then those players are free to move at their own pace.

And BTW I would like to thank Kel and Art in the first thread who did generally give me the opportunity to post before moving on. smile

Gypsy #566284 Tue 08/11/11 13:07 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
(I talk to myself all the time. I don't see that as a problem. lol )

I honestly have no idea how one would manage to keep such a large group in sync in an online game. That would be why I had three or four separate "themes" (that were meant to eventually merge) going on ECL to accommodate all the different players' posting frequencies and time zones. The only experience I have keeping a large (ish) group together is back in my FTF D&D days... and that's a whole different animal.

I know Wolf is dead set against splitting the party (which makes absolute sense). So. Whatever posting conventions Wolf decides upon, I will follow along. That's not to say I won't be twitching, of course. And it means another document for Super OCD Woman to add to her repertoire. Whee!! (Dag nabbit, HWD was supposed to be a non-OCD game. No, no... it's ok. I still have a chance with WWB. I hope.)

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #566287 Tue 08/11/11 13:12 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Yes, Sis has several voices in her head though one seems to demand more attention than the others.

And, don't worry, I will twitch along with you. wink

ividia #566304 Tue 08/11/11 14:58 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
There's no perfect solution. In combat, the restrictions listed are good as it is worse to allow an unequal number of posts.

In conversation, the best I have seen is to either have separate threads (which can get cumbersome for the GM, but is a cleaner solution) or as Jim did in WDA to have people post the names of the people in their small group discussion at the top of their reply, next to their pc name:

Example:

<Mikal> - with Darian, Comfrey, and Conrad

But to Gypsy's point, the GM would need to make sure to monitor and tell the small discussion group to stop and let another player post if he knows the topic is a hot-button item for that player. Even then, a small group of velociposters can run off before the GM can intervene, so some sort of overall daily limit is probably a good idea.

ividia #566309 Tue 08/11/11 15:08 UTC
here is something i have done with DFR- all 9 characters in one thread, and then sub grouped them so they could mingle around and yet have some separation.

all of this requires the players help the GM and keep the sanity.

in conversational places, like on the trail, where we spread out a bit on the road... or in an inn... wolf can keep one thread, and allow players to sub group a little- they must designate in their header who is with them, each of them... Camelia with Comfrey and then raven posts- Comfrey with Camelia

It becomes fuild and players have to be respectful of others but it allows for them to post a bit with a shorter cycle, and for those who don't have that luxury- you deal with it and later you might be in a faster one-

every player is important and everyone has something cool to add and share- i can only gauge that by what i have seen so far- and wolf spent too much time working characters not to have a blend in mind where everyone has something to add to a greater epic... the twisting of fate where there is no such thing as coincidence.

enough melodramatic drivel-

so, a group on the road might be riding two by two- and two's can talk... and those pairs or threes(as the case may be) can vary... information spreads.

in an inn setting, corners of the room. like at Plainsend- mikal and darian- elsewhere- squire, comfrey, camelia.

we keep to one group and one plot as wolf wants but we don't always have to be in each others pocket as though we were sitting around one big campfire and somebody has to have the speaking stick in order to say something.

i truly hope i am not stepping over my boundaries. I know wolf is an excellent GM. i think if this were a crappy game and he was a crappy gm, then we all wouldn't care so much and want to get the most out of it we could.

Phoenix Prime #566310 Tue 08/11/11 15:10 UTC
doh- zeim is right- i alsop did that with wda which had 9 players as well in one group- and he brought up the very idea i highlighted in my post below his.... thanks zeim for some backup on that

Phoenix Prime #566313 Tue 08/11/11 15:16 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
the sub groupings have worked well, both in DFR and other games

on the scale Mikal and Darian were conversating, it was a personal get to know you kind of thing

the talking happening around the victim already seems to involve a few players and potential decisions that can affect the path of all

I'm very much enjoying getting to know Darian and am having to take time with posts to keep in character.

- and Ken and I haven't spoken once this game yet wink

Phoenix Prime #566314 Tue 08/11/11 15:16 UTC
reading the current scene from the above suggested perspective- players would likely need to put some descriptive info in their headers to designate where they are if the scene is such like an open courtyard with streets and alleys leading from it, so that those going places to investigate or sneak are clear where they are... that will allow everyone to know if they are close enough to be in a group-

Comfrey, alley with dying man

Darian, walking street towards Inn

and as the King of Siam is want to say... etcetera etcetera etcetera

Phoenix Prime #566317 Tue 08/11/11 15:26 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
PP - I realize what I need to do. However, I am rather confused over the entire thing and awaiting information.

Therefore that is what I will do.

No, I can't add anything right now. I am sorry it appears I'm holding up things.

#566320 Tue 08/11/11 15:32 UTC
more things occur to me... as for the GM, and this has happened to me recently- where I am needed to add a little more detail for a particular player whose action depends on a small GM post- I try to remember to say that I am not resetting the conversation counter since it isn't a larger post- just a small aDD on to help move things along

add on, not ass on... sheesh... maybe i should turn on a light so I can see my keyboard better!

Last edited by Phoenix Prime; Tue 08/11/11 16:23 UTC.
Phoenix Prime #566330 Tue 08/11/11 15:41 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
(Psst. Jim. Interesting typo. wink )

There's undoubtedly something Daxia could/would do... however, now I'm too paranoid to post anything until after Wolf posts again. smile

Kel #566333 Tue 08/11/11 15:48 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
WOW! Didn't know the "Speaking Stick" was so universally well known smile

Zeim #566352 Tue 08/11/11 16:22 UTC
yikes!

Phoenix Prime #566384 Tue 08/11/11 19:23 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
What I would like to see is a posting pattern that allows everyone to participate in a meaningful way with and still keep things sane with such a large party group.

And thus all your folks input is important; and so far it all sounds very reasonable wink

Wolf #566387 Tue 08/11/11 19:39 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
I think it mostly comes down to everyone being courteous and taking an extra minute to see if everybody has had a turn to go before they jump in again. And then the GM checking up to make sure no one gets left out.

Zeim #566389 Tue 08/11/11 19:58 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Super OCD Woman has already created the spreadsheet for the GM to check.

Kel #566392 Tue 08/11/11 20:21 UTC
Again, trying to be helpful and put the current thoughts in a form for easier readability and better comprehension:

define the posting rules and conventions as their own thread, so that it is clear for everyone... and yet allows the GM the ability to be flexible as he sees fit.

when the GM defines that the group is in action mode- we go to 1 post per 24/ with the GM posting a resolution and update to the scene. GM post resets the clock. (The GM may be asked for clarifications- these replies don't reset the clock unless GM says so)

When the GM defines that the group is in group mode- 2 posts per 24hr period reset by either a complete rotation of players getting at least one post in; or the GM posting an update to indicate he resets the clock.

Large group dynamics- Character need to define, in their post header; their name and either where they are in terms of setting, or who they are with for conversation purposes. This will allow the GM to determine who is where and who might see/hear/know whatever it is that the GM wants them to know- plus help establish who is in what naturally occurring sub-groups. With GM approval only, sub-groups might operate within themselves for posting rotation purposes.

The GM reserves the right to hold any conversation sequence in place to allow a player to interact regardless of the number of posts currently on the counter.

GM is responsible for monitoring the threads to ensure that no one gets overrun. He may ask the players to assist on an honor basis and remind them that it is everyone's responsibility to ensure everyone gets to participate... an unhappy GM means less fun for everyone.

with GM approval- players may request a hold on a conversation while they ask for GM clarification so they don't get overrun. by posting into current thread, they create a spacer they can edit later with their post so it is fitted into the sequence that they would have posted had they had the info available to them immediately.

This is a co-operative storytelling adventure. Everyone plays a role and everyone is important to the story.

Phoenix Prime #566525 Wed 09/11/11 14:24 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Phoenix Prime
Again, trying to be helpful and put the current thoughts in a form for easier readability and better comprehension:

define the posting rules and conventions as their own thread, so that it is clear for everyone... and yet allows the GM the ability to be flexible as he sees fit.

when the GM defines that the group is in action mode- we go to 1 post per 24/ with the GM posting a resolution and update to the scene. GM post resets the clock. (The GM may be asked for clarifications- these replies don't reset the clock unless GM says so)

GM posts made during the week that effect the entire group just before the GM heads off to sleep that day. If there are outstanding private questions I will try (I may not always be successful) and answer them in time so if someone needs to add a post responding to the private question it can be done. This may result in a weeknight post being put off till the next day to allow folks to respond to the other character's update.

MAJOR ACTION POSTS that require a detailed response to The Cast <grin> that cannot be resolved in a single move-the-action-forward-post will be written up and posted on the weekends.

A good example of this is the difference between last night's post with the arrival of the Town Guard (small move the scene along post) and the dual prologue posts (major action posts), where everyone had their own individual actions to resolve.

When the GM defines that the group is in group mode- 2 posts per 24hr period reset by either a complete rotation of players getting at least one post in; or the GM posting an update to indicate he resets the clock.

My posts will be similar to the above. Just know, that if the conversations or minor actions shatter in a nine different directions things will, necessarily slow down.

Large group dynamics- Character need to define, in their post header; their name and either where they are in terms of setting, or who they are with for conversation purposes. This will allow the GM to determine who is where and who might see/hear/know whatever it is that the GM wants them to know- plus help establish who is in what naturally occurring sub-groups. With GM approval only, sub-groups might operate within themselves for posting rotation purposes.

The GM reserves the right to hold any conversation sequence in place to allow a player to interact regardless of the number of posts currently on the counter.

The GM thinks this is a good place to say this. A good post ALWAYS includes an action that moves the play forward. This is true for both me the GM and you the players. For example last night's post could have ended in two different ways.

Ending No. 1: The Posts ends when Darian first spotted the approaching figures.

Ending No. 2: The post ends with the Guards addressing the Cast.

Ending No. 1 could become problematic; while it does provide something to react to, at the earliest time, a legitimate response from the party could be "we stop and see what they do" which then results in a round of posts where ... nothing actually gets accomplished!

Ending No. 2 moves the scene just enough forward to provide a positive action for folks to respond to that has bearing on the play.

Now I admit this is a tricky thing to balance, but it should be in the back of everyone mind when they play. I promise not to overrun you guys in such a case - it's all a matter of that dangerous thing called common sense - for example if identifying of the approaching people were a major plot point, then Ending 1 would have been the correct one.

Conversation posts of course ignore this - I am a firm believer that conversations are organic and not linear. The subject goes here and there, folks fall quiet while they think, other folks poke their head in and add their two half crowns ... kind of like what happens when you put ten folks in a room and just ... talk!

Also there are times when you don't have anything to do ... whichis fine; just don't expect to be handed something in return; I am also a firm believer that the best play comes from your actions ... not me dropping things on you smile

GM is responsible for monitoring the threads to ensure that no one gets overrun. He may ask the players to assist on an honor basis and remind them that it is everyone's responsibility to ensure everyone gets to participate... an unhappy GM means less fun for everyone.

with GM approval- players may request a hold on a conversation while they ask for GM clarification so they don't get overrun. by posting into current thread, they create a spacer they can edit later with their post so it is fitted into the sequence that they would have posted had they had the info available to them immediately.

This is a co-operative storytelling adventure. Everyone plays a role and everyone is important to the story.

And most importantly, especially with a group this big, the GM wants posting to be non-stressful. This is a game - you should look forward to posting, not looking at it with trepidation.

I am much more lenient when it comes to patching things up and finding work-a-rounds in terms of posting and such.

I think someone else said it best ... be considerate, respectful and compassionate in one's posting and we should be fine.

Well you don't have to be compassionate when it comes to a Veilikii. They aren't nice folks.

And most of all, have fun.

Wolf #566657 Thu 10/11/11 01:18 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

• <twitch>
  • Super OCD Woman has left the building; she has, in fact, fled at a speed approaching Warp 6 back to the Clarke
  • This is too complicated for me, so I will simply post for Daxia when it seems appropriate to do so
  • Whatever happens... happens
  • I apologize in advance if I post too many times, or out of turn, and offend someone
  • <twitch>

Kel #566658 Thu 10/11/11 01:27 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Basically, in action sequences only post once per twenty four hours or per GM post. In conversations, twice per twenty four hours or until everyone has posted. If you are in a conversation with, say, only three people that is private - in other words, the other PC's would have no reasonable way to interact, the same rules apply except only for the characters that are in that conversation.

That a reasonable summing up of the essence?

Art in the Blood #566665 Thu 10/11/11 01:38 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
<hands over ears, eyes squeezed shut>

La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

{quarter notes} I heard some people talkin' the other day, it was gettin' kind of late. They were watchin' a couple walkin' down the street and they said, "Hey! They must be straight!" {quarter notes}

La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

Last edited by Kel; Thu 10/11/11 01:39 UTC.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tusk
Member Spotlight
Phoenix Prime
Phoenix Prime
Sanger Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,844
Posts140,946
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy