Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (AJ, Gypsy), 3 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#467589 Wed 27/10/10 16:16 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
I love board games so while I took some time off, I went on a board game buying spree, adding another half dozen or so to my collection. I then roped my daughter(18) and her boyfriend when he was in town to play with me. My daughter is hooked. When I suggest learning a new game, she groans but pulls herself to the table. After every new game though she has declared that she liked the game. So getting her to learn the last couple haven't been too bad. I always enjoy hearing about new games, especially ones that I can get reviews from people I know, so I'll do the same.

The best part about all of these games is that I could basically explain the rules in a few minutes and we could get started. My daughter doesn't mind learning, but after 5 minutes, her eyes have rolled up into her head and I know it's hopeless. What I loved about every one of these games is that the rules are easy to learn, but they all had a good amount of strategy to them so that on each play you had to make decisions. The other factor was that you could play the game in less than an hour or at least close to it. One of our all time family favorites is a game called Rail Baron, but a six player game is going to take 5+ hours. These are all quick.

Another thing I think that is really good with all of these games is that you don't know for sure who is winning until the very end. You may have an idea, but until all the points are added up, you aren't certain, which helps to keep everyone involved. I'm sure many of you have had your share of Monopoly and Risk games where it was over long before it actually ended. You just had to endure the agony of being wiped out. These games aren't like that.

I started off searching the web for game reviews, lists, awards ... And came across a site I really like Boardgameratings.com. Anyways, the first game we pulled out was Carcassonne which turns out I had in the basement for a few years, but we'd never gotten around to playing it. (Unfortunately, I have to admit that I have a lot of games in the bought but never played category). So we broke this one out and her and her boyfriend immediately enjoyed it. It was simple, fun and we played it a bunch of times. We've even gotten my wife to play and she rarely plays games. It didn't hurt her interest when my daughter won the first game. We've played it a few times now and the strategy starts becoming clearer. Not that the exact strategy is obvious, but that there are a lot of strategies that weren't immediately obvious the first time we played it.

The next game we broke out was Ticket To Ride. I think some people here mentioned it. It was an instant hit. I'm now a big fan of DaysofWonder.com and their games and have put a bunch of them on my Christmas wish list. I also bought the online version of this and my daughter and I both play it solo all the time. If anyone plays online, I'd love to play with ya smile Anyways, simple game, get cards, buy tracks, complete destinations. But again there is a lot of strategy to it. There is a lot to be said for bright colorful maps and components and DaysofWonder games do this extremely well. As soon as we opened the box, I knew I had them hooked. For the most part we worry about completing our own tickets and don't mess with others, but with different people (like my dad) this could easily be a very cutthroat game as you block others from certain cities.

The next game my daughter and I tried was Dominion. This is a card game with a lot of sets of cards (maybe 30 or so). You actually only use 10 per game. It took us a full game to really see some of the strategies and understand completely the mechanics. So after playing it, I was very surprised that she wanted to play it again. As a matter of fact, I would have bet heavily that of all the games we tried, this would be her least favorite, but I was quite wrong. Again, I think the simplicity of the play once we understood it along with the strategy kept her interest. It's a very difficult game to describe so I won't even really try, but it will play quite differently every time because of the possible randomness of the decks you use. I also think it would be a much better game with at least 3 people. I think a 4 or 5 person game of this would be a lot of fun.

We next moved on to Lost Cities: The Board game. I've never played the card game, but I've heard it's a classic. This was a lot of fun also. You move your little researchers along a board by playing cards one at a time. The catch is that the card you play has to be higher than the last one you played. Often you don't want to play or can't play and have to discard, there is nothing worse than knowing what you throw away will help your opponent. It's funny to watch my daughter agonizing over this 2 cards into the hand. I can only imagine the torment with 3 or 4 players. Again, simple game where we didn't know until the end who won. The second time, I was certain she had and I beat her by a couple of points to my surprise. This is one that younger kids can play, although some of the strategy will be over their heads. My only complaint wit this one and it's the same complaint I have with Settles of Catan. If you only have 4 player colors, why do you make them really close. (The orange and red in Settlers are almost indistinguishable in poor light). In this game, I have a hard time figuring out which track is brown or red.

Her boyfriend was back in town and we broke out Alhambra. I bought the big box version which has 5 expansions, but we only played the original one once so far. It's a tile laying game as you make your estate. Each estate is made up various things, gardens, ... Well the scoring is based on who has the most of each type of thing. So with 3 or more people, you have to decide if you try and build more of one thing to maintain your lead or do you try and build something else to catch up to an opponent to steal some of their points. Scoring happens three times during the game and the first two are somewhat random so that helps keep a lot of the surprise in the game. Anyways, we had a great time and they both want to try again. After playing it once, like a lot of these games, we see a lot more potential strategies. This is one we'll definitely play a lot more and we'll probably try a new expansion each time to see how they work.

The last game we tried was one my daughter was reluctant to play. It's another DaysofWonder game called Small World. It's a war/combat game which she isn't terribly fond of. But being the good trooper that she is, she gave it a try. What she immediately found was that the actual combat was very simple and that again it was a strategy game far more than a war game. She loved that each player got a big glossy card explaining what every race and ability could do so she didn't have to ask me or refer to the rulebook. It made the play faster. I won this game, but she made a huge comeback at the end and almost caught me. As soon as we finished, she was talking about things she could have done differently to win and how she wanted to play again. This is another game with all kinds of add-ons that we can buy. It's going to be easy for people to buy me Christmas and birthday presents smile

One thing I loved about all of these games is that with the possible exception of Dominion, the rules book was well illustrated and very simple to follow with good examples. Dominion wasn't bad, but it was thicker and some of the play isn't always obvious, so it made us refer back to the booklet often. Most of other games, we read them once, setup the game and never looked back. Nothing like a 4 page rulebook filled with pictures to get you going quickly.

I love card games and other games that involve skill and I'm not a huge fan of games with a lot of dice rolling and luck. So these new games are perfect. They have enough luck and randomness to make it so that you have to alter your plans and strategies as the game goes on, but not enough that someone who is just plain lucky can win repeatedly. It's nice to get off the computer and turn off the tv and spend time with family. If anyone is struggling with that, I'd highly recommend all of these games. Some of the best money I've spent. I can't wait for Christmas when family comes to town and we can play these with more people. I think the toughest problem will be figuring out which game to play next. Something tells me we'll have 2 or 3 tables going all the time. Well at least when my sister and nieces aren't shopping themselves to death.

There are lots of places to buy games online, and I looked at probably 20+ websites pricing them since I was buying a couple hundred dollars worth at once and I found the cheapest was a site called dragontalongames.com (At least in the US and with a $125 order they had free shipping).

If anyone else has any games they've discovered, let me know about them, I love to hear. My Christmas wish-list includes the following, let me know if I'd be making a mistake with any of them: (Mystery Express, Puerto Rico, Finca, Zooloretto, Elfenland, along with any Carcassonne, Ticket To Ride and Small World expansions)

And if you play Ticket To Ride online, let's get together.

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 27/10/10 17:15 UTC.
Nivek #467594 Wed 27/10/10 16:51 UTC
Don Offline
I was going to mention Puerto Rico until I saw it was already on your Christmas list. I can definitely recommend it. I'd give it four out of four stars, you will like it.

Nivek #467595 Wed 27/10/10 16:58 UTC
Some others I'd recommend...

First, the site boardgamegeek.com. There's noplace else like it for games. And, as of recently, including RPGs, though that area of the community is still somewhat underdeveloped.

No Thanks is an incredibly simple, increadibly fast card game. You start the game with 11 chips and a shuffled deck of cards numbered 3 to 35 with 9 cards dealt out of play at random. Each card is flipped in turn and either taken by the current player or passed at the cost of 1 chip placed on the card. The next player then has the same choise, but gets any chips on the card if he or she takes it. Cards give points, and you don't want points. Retained chips are negative points, and that's a good thing. Runs of cards (19-20-21, for example) are only as many points as the LOWEST number in the run. Play until the deck is exhausted. Whoever has the least points wins. Play takes only 5-15 minutes!

Thunderstone is Dominion with a dungeon crawl mechanic added. Village cards represent equipment you can buy and heroes you can recruit, and like in Dominion you use only a small subset. Likewise, there are several different decks of monsters and you use only 3 of those each game. Heroes can be developed with coin or with experience from killing monsters, but like in Dominion, the victory point cards (in this case, mostly killed monsters) don't usually do much when drawn from your deck, so you have to manage the deckbuilding a lot.

Back to the Future The Card Game is just what it sounds like. Cards are laid out with an initial timeline (events all familiar from the movie trilogy) and everyone is given a secret character and goal, which will contain items on the timeline you want to change. Then, using your hand of cards, you flip over the changable "lynchpin" points in the timeline to get the changes you want. Once you have time as you like it, you have to rush to when Doc Brown first visualized the Flux Capacitor and eliminate time travel so your timeline is the final one. Despite this being a re-skinning of an earlier game (Chrononauts), the feel of the movies is strong and play is great fun.

Forbidden Island is a cooperative game, with the players working together to rescue lost treasures before the island sinks under them. The game is amazingly well produced for its price point, with attractive cards and a durable metal game box. Players have unique roles and abilities, and tension builds thru the game by the sinking becoming faster and faster as time progresses. But victory is fairly likely, as the game is designed to be forgiving. If you want a harder coop game...

Pandemic is by the same designer and is similar in structure. Unique roles for each player, moving around the board collecting cards to match goals... But here, you're CDC doctors, researchers, and field staff trying to out-race several about-to-break-out diseases. Play is tight and victory is far from certain. An expansion set adds extra roles, optional extra complexity, really cool petri dishes to store the game pieces in between games, and rules for a "bioterrorist" player who's working the other side!

Two fantasy themed Cooperatives are also good fun...

Defenders of the Realm is in many ways a fantasy Pandemic, with 4 invading armies (undead, orcs, demons, and dragon-men) marching from the fringes of the board toward the capital city in the middle. Heroes quest to gather the experience and treasure they need to defeat the four generals before it's too late.

Castle Ravenloft is the classic D&D module turned into a GM-less coop board game. 4E mechanics are simplified into board game rules quite cleanly and reasonably straightforward rules guide how monsters attack the heroes as they search for the scenario's goals. The designers (who are also 4E's main designers) set out to do a "game we play when no one has time to design a D&D game" and pretty much hit their target.

One note... I'd avoid Mystery Express. It's not as good as it promised to be thanks to several flawed mechanics (especially the one for determining the time of the murder), a rare miss for DoW. But if you can find the older Mystery in the Abbey, it's worth picking up and similar in nature (Clue-on-steroids). I'll agree with Don about Puerto Rico as well, even if I enjoy its more recent derrivative (because it started life as a proposal for a card game version of PR) Race For the Galaxy. Both share a similar base mechanic, in which there is a choice of which phase to play next, and the player who makes the choice gets an enhanced version of the phase while everyone else gets the normal one. But be warned... both PR and Race are relatively heavy games, strongly rewarding smart play. More casual players will find themselves utterly swamped by stronger strategies.

Last edited by The Ghoul; Wed 27/10/10 17:12 UTC. Reason: added bolding and some additional commentary
The Ghoul #467599 Wed 27/10/10 17:13 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Thanks G. I knew you'd reply.

I looked at Mystery of the Abbey along with Mystery Express. What makes it better in your eyes?

Also have you heard much about Shadows over Camelot and Pirate's Cove both also from DoW?

I saw a lot of good reviews on Pandemic. I'm not sure how much the family would go for cooperative games. We have played Knizia's Lord of the Rings, and enjoyed it, but I think in general, the family prefers non-cooperative games. I also find that that if the player's experience gap is big, the one who knows the most drives everyone else a lot.

Thunderstone and No Thanks sound really good, I'll add them to the list and check out the others.

And yeah I know about boarrdgamegeek.com. I actually don't like the site. I always feel like they tried to squish way too much into too small of a space. It's good for getting lists, but half the time, I can't even find a review.

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 27/10/10 17:17 UTC.
Nivek #467603 Wed 27/10/10 17:24 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Ticket To Ride is truly deserving of the "classic" label. Imho it's already well on its way to supplanting undeserving classics, such as Monopoly.

One thing I'll say is that we very quickly identified the flaw in the game, which I verified online. Players starting with Routes on the West Coast generally win. They're at an advantage.

If you own Ticket To Ride, the best present you can get yourself this Christmas is the USA 1910 Expansion Pack. This fixes the game, so succinctly in fact that I'm surprised it hasn't been integrated into the core game. (Then again, why bother if everyone buys the expansion!)

I enjoyed the Lost Cities: The Board Game, it captures most of the energy of the card game but still isn't as quick. The card game's about 20 mins long (unless my girlfriend's playing, then one turn is 20 mins long lol ).

I'm personally a fan of Dominion but I've had a hard time convincing everyone else around here. The problem is you go through phases with this game. At first it seems shallow, flawed by an obvious strategy. Then it seems deep. Then it seems like a solo game. Until finally you realise it can be all.

I never got my players passed the first phase. sad It's never taxing though, as the strategies vary depending on the set of cards used. It's basically a CCG in a box though. It has tons of expansions, but sadly I can't comment on them.

Elfenland. :s It's OK, it inspired many other board games and has to be played so you can say to have, but isn't itself a very flexible game tbh.

If you have 3 players, I can recommend Atlas Games' Corruption. It got critically mauled because it didn't successfully embody the era it was trying to represent, the 1930s, the mafia, government corruption, et al. I'd agree with that but imho it doesn't represent any one era. It's a game about out bidding, out bluffing and screwing over the other people around the table. It's an aggressive game, there's no two ways about it. Many hardcore gamers don't like that, but non-gamers generally expect it in a card game.

Rio Grande Games' Dracula is a game I rate highly for entertainment, but highly for concentration too. It's a hybrid bluffing and memory game, and it is taxing (especially after your third glass of Scotch). Being only 2 players adds to the intensity, and I think it captures the rivalry between Dracula and Van Helsing rather nicely. I enjoy this game more than the others, though it is more demanding too so it's not one I'm always going in the mood for, ironically.

nem #467604 Wed 27/10/10 17:28 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Thanks Neil. Maybe I'll have to scratch Elfenland from my list. I've found with my family the games that let you screw over someone else get ugly fast and people won't replay them. best to avoid.

I agree about Monopoly. I play the games I mentioned above and I can't imagine someone going out and buying Monopoly anymore. Of course I say the same about McDonalds food and they make billions annually so what do I know.

We noticed also in Ticket to Ride that you need the cross country routes to win. Is it still the case in 5 player games? I can see you easily getting stuck with a cross country ticket with that many and if you do, you're doomed. Playing online I love all the versions. I heard the Marklin on is an especially good version. Hopefully it will come online soon.

I can see what you say about Dominion. Some strategies of getting silver then gold then provinces as fast as possible seem unbeatable, but I think with more people stealing, cursing, knocking cards from your hand and it probably changes. I think it's the kind of game you have to get people to play 5 or 6 times and then it will become a favorite. Which is why it surprised me that my daughter liked it so much.

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 27/10/10 17:31 UTC.
Nivek #467607 Wed 27/10/10 17:39 UTC
Both Mystery of the Abbey and Mystery Express are Clue-like games thinly changed from source material (Name of the Rose or Murder on the Orient Express) with more creative and complex mechanics for how you get access to new cards and other player's cards. In Abbey, those mechanics work (especially clever is a confessional, which functions as a "take a card, leave a card" repository). In Express, many of them don't, either thematically (how is it that new passengers, getting on the train hours later in a different country somehow know new facts about the murder?) or practically (one player gets a deck of clock-faces and flips the cards over one-by-one as fast as he or she cares to and everyone watches to try to spot which card is missing). It's just a little bit off in several ways.

Shadows over Camelot is a wonderful sort of Coop game with a twist... one player might be a traitor! (I call that sort of game "semi-coop".) Players quest against several threats to the kingdom, trying to keep them under control so the net balance is toward the light. But a deck of loyalty cards was shuffled initially and dealt out in secret, and one player might have gotten the card saying they're on the other side. Knights have interesting unique powers and the mini-games for the threats are just diverse enough to be interesting. But the Traitor role is somewhat under-developed, and it's often hard to tell clever Treason from simple poor understanding of the game. Battlestar Galactica is a more complex take on the same idea, with an added twist that you might only find out you're a cylon mid-game!

Pirate's Cove is a great game, and I was very glad to see it reprinted. Treasures are dealt out to each of several islands and each player decides where to go in secret. Go to an island solo and you get the treasure (as well as the mechanical effect of that island). If multiple pirates go to the same island, they fight it out. Players can develop their ship in several ways (better cannons, sails, crew, etc.) and there's a lot of bluffing and second-guessing about where to go. It's quite fun trying to read the table and find the "free" loot.

Let me add another light game recommendation or two...

Incan Gold is a "press your luck" game. Players are treasure hunters investigating an incan pyramid. Each turn, they can either go forward and hope to find more treasure or back out and bank what they have. If the next card is a treasure card, everyone still delving gets a share. But if it's a hazard card and matches an earlier hazard card, everyone still in the pyramid loses any treasure from this round. So it's all about gathering what you can but deciding when you have enough. A similar game, differently themed, is Cloud 9, which is about deciding when the baloon's pilot is at his limit and abandoning ship as high up before the crash as you can get.

Ca$h and Gun$ is a game of untrustworthy crooks. While dividing the loot post-crime, they turn on one another. Players point foam-rubber pistols at one another and bluff about if their gun is loaded or not. Read the bluff right (or be fortunate enough that no one aimed at you) and you'll get a share of the loot rather than a bullet. This is an especially good game for the larger end of its player range (5 or 6) and using the special powers of its intermediate rules set. But the most advanced option, adding a police snitch, really doesn't work. Fortunately, it's an option, so just don't do it.

The Ghoul #467608 Wed 27/10/10 17:54 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Do you get to play games every week? I'm so jealous!

Nivek #467609 Wed 27/10/10 17:57 UTC
I'm a regular at my local stores' Game Night (wednesdays... D&D encounters and perhaps a short board game or two on either side of it, and the store is glad to loan out new arrivals and occasionally previews for play) and we're coming up on Thanksgiving Week, when I get with several friends (including Dazzler, Lucinda, and ShadowSpawn from RPGames) for a week that includes lots of games. I typically bring two 50-gallon tubs filled with my preferred options.

The Ghoul #467610 Wed 27/10/10 18:06 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Sounds like fun. I'll have to settle for convincing the family to play. I knew I should have had a dozen kids wink

Nivek #467628 Wed 27/10/10 19:57 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Originally Posted by Nivek
Thanks Neil. Maybe I'll have to scratch Elfenland from my list. I've found with my family the games that let you screw over someone else get ugly fast and people won't replay them. best to avoid.

It is inevitable you'll screw over another player in Elfenland, rather more so than in Ticket To Ride, frex. But it's purely coincidental, unlike Corruption. That was the card game I said was aggressive. I prefer to think of it as combative. weg I enjoy those sort of games, but I can take them in good humour. Playing with family, however, that is a different kettle of fish. lol

nem #467646 Wed 27/10/10 21:40 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

AHHH! Tabletop gaming has been all my ftf gaming for the past 6 years or so and I've been gaming about once every 2-3 weeks for all that time...much to offer, but totally doing massive overtime at work...will get back with a list and input on games mentioned here so far very soon...

#467673 Thu 28/10/10 01:32 UTC
Since you brought up board games, I have been looking, literally for decades, for an old TSR game called Divine Right . Had a blast playing that in college, but haven't seen it in years and years.

Barry Mulvihill #467683 Thu 28/10/10 03:41 UTC
Don Offline
Not really a two-player game but a good beer & pretzels game for a group from the old days was Avalon Hill's Acquire. It used to be a favorite pick up game back at Detroit Gaming Center in the eighties, because it didn't take hours to set up or play.

Alas, I know for certain that the rules for Nuclear Risk which combined the board game Risk and the card game Nuclear War we developed back then no longer exist or at least are not in my possession. If I look around I might actually have a copy of the rules for Magical Risk which as a fantasy version of Nuclear Risk. It changed the complexion of the game because with charms and fireballs out there you can't safely put 100 men in one country.

Don #467706 Thu 28/10/10 11:49 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Nivek - Incan Gold is worth getting - small game, easy play but fun. Another few games that are favourites with our group are 'Oasis', 'Ra' and 'Thern and Taxis' - all very replayable!

Gypsy #467722 Thu 28/10/10 13:26 UTC
Commenting on two of Gypsy's suggestions...

Thurn and Taxis is a wonderful example of a weak theme that doesn't managed to hamper a great underlying game. The theme is developing competing postal services across pre-industrial Germany, which is far from gripping. But the game is a very clever mix of race mechanics (you get more points for completing things first), hand-building (like in Ticket to Ride you can draw new cards from several face up cards) and area control (you want to dominate districts of the board). It's got a lot of TtR's feel to it, but with a bit more depth to the play.

Ra (and it's cousins Razzia and Priests of Ra) is a classic Knizia design. Tiles are drawn out and placed on the board until an auction is triggered, then they are bid for. Also included in the bid is the winning bid piece from the previous auction, which makes for some VERY interesting strategy to trade up or down for future rounds. A very Knizia-esque scoring system occurs at the end of each round, with each type of tile having different ways to determine its worth. Razzia is essentially the same game re-skinned as criminals bartering for ill-gotten gains, while Priests is a recent re-working using the same auction rules but new tiles and scoring to create a distinct feel.

I'll also say a bit about two other games in the dice game family... Both are distinct flavors of "Yahtzee on steroids".

To Court the King is a game of progressive "Yahtzee". To win, you must get 7 of a kind, but since you roll only 3 dice, you have to go thru collecting lesser sets, claiming the associated minor noble card and their associated power. These powers add more dice to your roll, letting you slowly climb the pyramid of powers until you have enough dice to claim the Queen and King. Great fun, and some interesting powers to let you modify rolls, add dice already set to a given number, or otherwise manipulate things to create the combos you need.

Roll Through the Ages is, oddly enough, a Civilization building dice game. The dice are custom, with icons representing food, workers, coins, trade goods, and disasters. You roll and keep combos, ala Yahtzee, then record what you get with pegs on a control board (ala Cribbage) and score sheet. Be the first to build Wonders, learn the best technologies, and avoid starvation and disaster and you'll create the great Bronze Age civilization. The pieces are of astonishing quality (heavy wooden control boards, custom wood dice). And there's a "Late Bronze Age" expansion available for free download that adds a few more rounds to the end of the game and extra cultural powers to consider buying.

The Ghoul #467724 Thu 28/10/10 13:23 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Glad I started this. I love hearing about these games smile

Has anyone messed with Ticket to Ride Dice expansion or the card game?

Since nobody said so, none of you play the online version of Ticket To Ride?

Nivek #467731 Thu 28/10/10 13:39 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
So Ghoul of all the games you've mentioned, which would you rank highest as a two person game? The reality is if I'm going to play a lot of games, it's going to be primarily my youngest and I.

Nivek #467754 Thu 28/10/10 14:27 UTC
I carry To Court the King and No Thanks with me whenever I'm expecting gaming to happen, but both are really 3+ player games.

Two player games are actually a distinct subset, as their requirements are different.

Most coops work at 2 players, but semi-coops (the traitor games like Shadows over Camalot and Battlestar Galactica much less so, because of how over-powered the traitor gets if there's only one other player. Of course, the problem that the skilled player dominates all play is at its worst with 2 players.

Dominion and Thunderstone are FAR more strategic games at 2 players than at 3 or more, because there isn't as much chance for multiple strategies to develop and for luck to balance them out. Simple, direct play of your own position dominates over interactive strategies (like the Witch and the Militia in Dominion). If you like the feel, they're still good games, but they get VERY different with more players (albeit, in the negative, they also add a lot more downtime that is absent in the two-player version).

The original Lost City is great for two. It's similar to the board game (which is actually a distinct game called Keltis that was re-skinned as Lost City for its English Language release) but has an very clever discard mechanic that lets discards be potentially picked up for later use ala many Rummy games.

There's a distinct Carcassonne for two players, actually designed by Knizia rather than the usual Carcassonne folk. That's Carcassonne: The Castle. It has the Carcassonne feel with better balance for head-to-head play. It involves building one city rather than several, with efforts to create and block coherent neighborhoods within the city.

The Ghoul #467762 Thu 28/10/10 15:45 UTC
Ooze-based life form
Ooze-based life form
I still like Lunch Money (which isn’t strictly a board game i know!) and the aforementioned Nuclear War (which is a great game to play with about 10 friends when all of them are slightly drunk smile )

Muddy #467778 Thu 28/10/10 19:25 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
I'll have to do this in stages...

Barry, a company put out a 25th Anniversary edition of DIVINE RIGHT which included ALL the material including expansion cards and stuff that only appeared in THE DRAGON Magazine, and it included a CD with printable versions of every card and 3 different rulesets - Beginnier, Intermediate and Advanced - look for it on ebay or BGG - I gots mine.

#467789 Thu 28/10/10 22:22 UTC
Don Offline
Family Business and Guillotine are two older card games that are great fun but as they are take-out games both tend to work better the more players you start with.

Family Business and later Guillotine made regular appearances at a lot of AmberCons during downtime. In fact it got so where I looked forward more to the downtime than the actual tournaments.

Don #467866 Fri 29/10/10 11:37 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Guillotine is a great game but often out of print - I tried for 2 years before I found one due to a repeat print run! smile

I love ticket to ride.

I have the online version but use it as a single player v the computer game which I play several times a week! grin

I also have in the Ticket to Ride collection:

Europe - bit repetitive with routes but improved with depots and warehouses expansion

USA - with the 1910 route expansion - and this is the one played more often with 4 or 5 players.

Scandinavia - 2 or 3 player game - which is an absolute favourite as a 2 player game for me & hubby - we play at least once a week, sometimes 2 to 3 times a day if off work! grin

Marklin - German board - different mechanic here with passengers - good game for 3-5 players but takes a bit more setting up as cities have small stacks of point counters on them which passengers collect later. Good for a change.

Gypsy #467867 Fri 29/10/10 11:42 UTC
Ooze-based life form
Ooze-based life form
Ticket to Ride is great until certain evil players block my route goals smile

Muddy #467869 Fri 29/10/10 11:53 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Wouldn't know what you mean.. <whistles>

Gypsy #467870 Fri 29/10/10 11:54 UTC
Ooze-based life form
Ooze-based life form
J'accuse!

Muddy #467883 Fri 29/10/10 13:26 UTC
Family Business just recently got a reprint, so it can be found quite easily.

Nivek #467918 Fri 29/10/10 22:14 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
I have a fairly large collection of board games myself, and there are three groups around here where I get to play: a train gamers group that meets once a month, a club that has a Catan night once a month, and a store/cafe along my commute route that has board games on Thursday evenings.

I have Ticket to Ride and Small World, and I've also played Dominion a few times, and I agree with the comments there. My username on the online TtR is Argus, of course. Mystery Express was also a disappointment for me.

I have the Back to the Future card game, along with several other games from the same company (including a pseudo-Risk that takes under an hour). I actually got to learn it this summer when the designer brought advance copies to a couple local conventions.

Other games you might consider are TransAmerica/TransEuropa and the "10 Days in ..." family. The rules are relatively simple, and the victory is a matter of displaying your result.

If your only complaint with Settlers of Catan is the similarity of two colors, you are probably going to have trouble with most of the Catan family. Still, that does include games all the way up and down the scale of complexity.

Speaking of the scale of complexity, have you seen the variety of expansions for Carcassonne? There are a few things you can add if you want a little variety.

Argus #467921 Fri 29/10/10 23:51 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Yeah, I've seen a ton of expansions. Ghoul said The Castle made a good two person game (I know not exactly and expansion).

I was thinking of buying the big box version that included the game along with 5 expansions. Are there some that aren't worthwhile? Some you'd highly recommend? Maybe it would be cheaper to just get the good expansions.

Have you gotten any of the Small World expansions?

Nivek #467962 Sat 30/10/10 14:10 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
I haven't bought any of the Carcassonne expansions, just seen them in stores. I do have the first two Small World expansions, but I haven't had a real chance to try them yet.

Argus #467964 Sat 30/10/10 14:15 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
I have a caution against Carcassonne expansions. Again great game and I have most if not all the variations. However, we found that adding all the expansions to the basic game made it much longer, so I ended up buying another basic version just so we could back to the 30 - 60 min game we all enjoyed so much. The one expansion I would definitely add to the initial one is the one to go from 5 to 6 players! smile

Gypsy #468073 Sun 31/10/10 12:20 UTC
I agree on the Carcassonne expansions, unfortunately. They tend to add 2 or 3 new scoring methods, which in the end make the game too option-rich and lead to analysis paralysis. The stand-alone games (like the City and the Castle and New World) offer alternate scoring methods, but tend to keep to a total of 4 or 5, like the base game, and so are more manageable.

However, if you love the game and want the one or more of the Big Boxes, my preference is to pick one or two expansions AT MOST to use in any one game.

I do like the Small World expansions. The one that adds a random event deck is considered by many to make the game too random (some of the events are VERY powerful), but the others add more races and modifiers, so just add to its variety. Of course, I have no experience with the newest one (comes out this weekend, I think), which adds a new non-player "Necromancer" that gets more powerful as races fall into ruin.

I'd agree with Argus on the TransAmerica or TransEuropa games, which are great fun "connect cities" games.

The Ghoul #468138 Sun 31/10/10 22:47 UTC
Shameless self promotion here, but seriously, if you're looking for something you can pick up and play quick? The Massive Vs. The Masses is quite nifty.

Googleshng #468368 Tue 02/11/10 16:17 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Hey Ghoul, do yo participate in BGG's Secret Santa thing? Sounds like fun. Be hard to know what to ask for though since I just gave my daughters a long list :WEG:

We should do something like that here smile

Nivek #468369 Tue 02/11/10 16:18 UTC
Never have... I tend to buy so many games they make a poor gift idea for me.

The Ghoul #468370 Tue 02/11/10 16:24 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Must be rough. wink

Nivek #468371 Tue 02/11/10 16:33 UTC
yep. terrible.

The Ghoul #468587 Thu 04/11/10 15:47 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Well Ghoul, thanks to your suggestions and some not so subtle hints to my kids (And the beauty of internet shopping) I was presented with a box full of games today.

Got Shadows over Camelot, Pirate's Cove, No Thanks!, To court the King, Roll through the ages, and Forbidden island.

Can't wait to get home and crack them open. Nothing like the smell of new games and the joy of breaking out cutouts smile

Nivek #468592 Thu 04/11/10 16:52 UTC
Nice set of games! I think you'll enjoy 'em!

And yeah... unboxing is a great fun experience!

The Ghoul #469386 Thu 11/11/10 19:05 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Any experience with Vikings, Agricola, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization or Power Grid?

Nivek #469389 Thu 11/11/10 19:28 UTC
I'm a fan of Agricola, though many find it a multi-player solo game (interaction is limited)... Players are a farmer family in the Dark Ages, struggling to achieve a surplus. During play, you can gain skills that make you better at certain actions, grow your family (but that means more mouths to feed), expand your fields, grow your herds, etc. Which option is best depends on your hand of cards, which you're given at the beginning of the game (cards are not drawn during play, except when expansions are in use). Player interaction comes because many actions are limited, in that once someone fishes from the pond, there are no more fish there until next turn; once someone harvests wood from the forest, no one else can until it recovers; etc. It's subtle, but a lot of the game lives in how well you can block other player's strategies. Scoring is also a challenge for new players, as the objectives are somewhat more "don't be deficient anywhere" than "dominate one area to the exclusion of all others". There's a "family game" option that's more forgiving and easier to learn, but lacks most of the real game's depth (for example, the cards aren't used).

Power Grid is a great resource management game. Here, players are power companies building plants and distribution networks to various cities. Building capacity and network span are both critical, but odds are you won't be able to do both, so you have to balance them out. And others are trying to cut you off or steal your market. A strong economic game, and the available aternate maps do an amazing job of changing the feel of the game with only minor rules changes.

Through the Ages (not to be confused with Roll Through the Ages, which I highly recommend) is interesting, but I find it way too luck-based for its length of play. Draw a couple bad civilizations in a row and you'll be sitting at the table a LONG time to prove that you've lost. (History of the World has similar issues.) Still, a card-based Civilization-building game is a good thing in general, I'm just not sold on this one (which may be in part because I never gave it a 2nd chance after trying the buggy 1st edition... I am told it is much improved now, in its 3rd). For a similar feeling game, I prefer the more recent (albeit less attractive) Innovation.

Vikings I've read but never played, so I won't comment on it.

The Ghoul #469392 Thu 11/11/10 19:46 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

I'd back POWER GRID with the caveat that it's best with 3 or more and loses a lot of its appeal 2 player.

AGRICOLA is solid, but fairly complex in its own way.

THROUGH THE AGES is awesome but very complex, very long, and very expensive (but worth it; top notch components) - if I didn't have 1-2 someones who were deeply into games and/or certain to enjoy it, I'd pass.

if I'd had more time, I'd've warned against PIRATE'S COVE - most low-complexity/beginner type people find it enjoyable enough, but there's really zero strategy, it's very random, and there's a hole or two in the rules you'll have to adjudicate for yourselves. Basically, each you turn you look over the loot on the various islands, secretly choose one to go after, and fight it out with any/everyone else who went to the same island. Not bad, but not much there.

#469395 Thu 11/11/10 19:55 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Thanks. Part of what I need to balance as I look to expand my collection is how often I can get more than 2 players to play. I can usually get my daughter to play once a week or so, but getting more than that is difficult.

We actually enjoyed Pirate's Cove. At first I had a big lead and my son hated it because he guessed poorly often and rolled horribly, but the game has a subtle way of helping the players who get shot up in that they get the tavern cards. So later on they attacked me and I had no battle or volley cards. Having a well built ship when your daughter is rolling 6 dice and only needing a 3-6 to hit you takes care of your 'well-built' ship really quickly. I ended up winning but only by a few points. We also had one of the rules wrong, which might have tightened things up a bit more.

I think the perfect game to add is one where it's a good 2 person game (complex is okay as long as I can explain it first) but also one where we can play with 4 also with the game lasting 3 hours.

And G> I did get Roll through the ages. Nice game.

Nivek #469408 Thu 11/11/10 22:21 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Yes, I've been meaning to offer some of my own along those lines - my favorite "multiplayers also good for 2" not yet mentioned include:

INGENIOUS - really glad no one else mentioned it because this is a slamdunk good for any and all numbers up to 4 including solo; the board is marked to grow or shrink to fit the player number. Deviously simple abstract with really intriguing strategy and solid player interaction; very addictive.

THEBES - Almost forgot this, and it's really another no-brainer for up to 4 but good with 2. Also fairly non-competitive - getting to something someone else wanted 1st is as cutthroat as it gets, and it's really fun.

CITADELS - This is good for up to 4-5, rules allow for up to 6 but it gets very long and chaotic with more then 4-5; has awesome separate/variant rules for 2-3. Light but fun with lots of player interaction.

ST. PETERSBURG - A step up from TTR, more PUERTO RICO in terms of complexity but not quite as complex as PR.

CUBA - So much like PUERTO RICO in its base mechanics it might as well be a variant, BUT different enough to stand on its own; I strongly prefer it to PR, actually.

STONE AGE - some find this to have too many random elements, others says there's an optimal "starvation strategy" that can't be beat, but most people like this a lot in spite of all that and I certainly do; the victory point mechanics are a little deep but otherwise this is fairly light.

CRUNCH - Fair disclosure - I am in fact an off and on demonstrator for the parent company, TerrorBull Games. Having said that, I really do love their stuff. They have a knack for that rarity, The Game With a Social Message That You'd Want To Play More Than Once - WAR ON TERROR is a screaming hit
(and I really do mean that pretty much literally)
practically any and every time I get it to the table and isn't on this list because it's best with at least 4 and better with 5-6. CRUNCH is like WoT boiled into a card game and with the topic of the Global Economic Wipeout of 2008. Players are the heads of AIG, Citibank, etc., signing workforces onto their financial products, laying on debtloads, trying to collect interest on the debt, and smacking each other up with Federal Regulatory Investigations, Corporate Rebrandings and Market Collapses on the side. BUT the actual victory is won not by running the best finance company - no, it's just like real life - the winner is whoever does the best job of embezzling funds while the other players aren't looking. Really, pretending to be a corporate pig is much more fun than it sounds.

I can do more in-depth descriptions, but it feels like BGG makes that superfluous.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Thu 11/11/10 22:27 UTC.
#469415 Thu 11/11/10 22:58 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Thanks Razor. I much prefer the opinions of friends to BGG although I have been looking at their site a lot more, especially when I can find videos.

I'll look at the ones you've mentioned.

Nivek #469481 Fri 12/11/10 12:26 UTC
I can agree with Razor on all of those. Especially Ingenious, which is an outstanding design among Knizia titles. And that's saying something. It may look like "dominos on a hex grid", but it's far more eligant than that. Also, it's helped by there being a portable "travel edition" and a spin-off "Ingenious Challenges" game that is 3 distinct riffs on the "match symbols to score points, get free turns when you fill the row" basic structure.

The Ghoul #469485 Fri 12/11/10 13:14 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Citadels is one of our group favourites and we often play with 6 or 7 which does draw it out but not too much IMO. Not sure I'd want to play with less than 4 as those 'targeted' for theft or assassination might start to feel picked on. grin

Gypsy #469501 Fri 12/11/10 16:32 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Ghoul, have you (or anyone else for that matter) ever gone to BGGCon?

Dallas/Ft. Worth. Might go one year, could visit PP wink

Nivek #469515 Fri 12/11/10 18:01 UTC
The timing is bad given that I always spend the week of Thanksgiving on vacation, so no.

The Ghoul #469537 Fri 12/11/10 20:13 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Nivek, I totally agree people you know is the best way to learn about new games - I really meant to be excusing my not going over the details of gameplay for every single one of them.

But I also thought of

ATTIKA - This is a decent light game of building cities at a TTR level of complexity - most examples of that kind of thing tend to be fairly heavy, but this one's generally over in less than an hour.

NEXUS OPS - feel really bad about forgetting this one, but I can be forgiven to some extent - it's out of print. However, it came out from Avalon Hill just a few years back when they were trying to get more position at Walmart's and Toys R Us and the like, so it came out in such massive numbers it's still fairly easily available. really one of the best short length multiplayer wargames ever made; a lot of people overlooked it because of the production values - it's not cheap by any means, but every aspect looks like it's for grade-schoolers - the art's really cartoonish, the troop figures are this day-glo plastic and look like knockoffs of the old HERCULOIDS cartoon.

But that was their mistake; this is really dynamic, easy to understand, offers real strategy and yet is over in 60-90 minutes tops; many prefer their 4-players games as 2 on 2 instead of free-for-all, but either way it's awesome, fast-moving and fast-playing fun for whatever number.

Gypsy, I could see people who know the game going fairly quickly of course, but check the 2-3 player version - everyone gets 2 characters per turn, so the Thief and the Assassin aren't quite as much of a sting...the other thing about CITADELS is, you get so much variant stuff in the basic set - IIRC, the current set includes all the variant characters plus the new buildings from the DARK CITY expansion.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Fri 12/11/10 22:24 UTC.
#469573 Fri 12/11/10 23:01 UTC
kittens
kittens
I agree with Googleshng here... The Massive vs. the Masses is a great game, and I'm not just saying that because I did all the artwork for it and want it to do well. wink

Silkenray #469607 Sat 13/11/10 03:30 UTC
AJ Online Content
Online Content
Adding my voice for MVM also. It's pretty fun: Essentially stomp Tokyo the board game.

AJ #470010 Wed 17/11/10 19:09 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Anyone ever play Kingsburg or the new Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game (2010)?

Nivek #470024 Wed 17/11/10 19:55 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

No, and KINGSBURG has been on my list for awhile, I've heard very good things about it...

I have tried TICKET TO RIDE: THE DICE EXPANSION, and even though I've done demo stuff for Days of Wonder along with Terror Bull and Eagle, I'd still recommend a pass - it tries to use dice instead of the route cards, but it just makes things more fiddly without adding anything, and the original rules didn't allow any way to claim a route with more than 6 spaces, meaning you couldn't/can't use them for TTR: EUROPE...

#470308 Sun 21/11/10 02:48 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

I'd also endorse the DOMINION expansions thusly - you'll want SEASIDE 1st, then PROPSERITY, then maybe INTRIGUE.

INTRIGUE is a nice set that livens up the game by adding a number of very competitive, cutthroat, 'screw-all-the-other-players' Attack cards that can really jam you up; I'd expect it would be extra hell in 2 player games.

SEASIDE is almost the opposite - it's not all sunshine and peace, but it does introduce cards that allow you build yourself up without screwing everyone else.

PROSPERITY blows up the money side of the game, introducing 5-value Platinum cards for 9, as well as other elements that greatly increase your potential gold total - it's very cool but it takes time to get into; SEASIDE is very easy to figure out and play.

I haven't played ALCHEMY yet, but I've heard it's interesting; it also has half as many new cards as all the other expansions.

#470310 Sun 21/11/10 03:18 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
I've been watching video reviews of games on BGG and Battelstar Galactica looked interesting, but I know my chances of getting 5 players was slim and none.

I'll play Dominion some more before I get expansions. In my current situation, I think I need to get some games that play well solo since that's going to be my best bet often.

Arkham Horror sounded like it was reasonable solo. Same for Pandemic. Ever try any of them? This was why I wanted Thunderstone.

Any recommendations for solo?

Nivek #470348 Sun 21/11/10 21:39 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

I'll have to think about it, but NYC has had a massive explosion of boardgaming groups so I've mostly had enough opponents to get into multiplayers mostly.

#470374 Mon 22/11/10 02:59 UTC
There are a lot of seemingly great games mentioned in this thread, a number of which I'd like to try out (if I can convince my wife to also try them out with me, of course). I'm not sure where to find them -- are there good places online that I can order them from (note that I'm in Canada so places that serve Canada with minimal shipping charges are ideal).

Thanks for a great thread.

-D

Denis #470844 Fri 26/11/10 22:29 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Well there's nothing we boardgame nerds like more than offering some knowledge - I suspect deep down, we all know how generally useless it is, so any opportunity to get some value out of it is nice.

But from what I can see, most of us were responding to Nivek's specific preferences - low to medium weight multiplayer games that also offer strong player play; there's tons of games that don't fit those parameters, so you and anyone else should feel free to shout out if you have any other types you'd be interested in going over.

Like me, now - Fantasy Flight's giving away some serious "big box" games at lowlow prices for the holidays, and I was considering TRIBUNE, WARRIOR KNIGHTS, and maybe WORLD OF WARCRAFT ADVENTURE GAME, but suspect WOW: Adventure is mostly okay but nothing special aside from the bits and WARRIOR KNIGHTS will be another seriously complicated big box that will sit on my shelf and get little play - anyone want to convince me otherwise OR that I[m right and either are still worth it before I just order TRIBUNE for 15 bucks, and as a follow-up is/are the TRIBUNE and/or WARRIOR KNIGHTS expansions really worth it for another 10 USD each??

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Fri 26/11/10 22:30 UTC.
#471382 Wed 01/12/10 13:00 UTC
Last week was a gathering of friends for lots of board gaming, so I can report a few things...

Kingsburg and the new Civilization both failed to make it to the table last week, amidst many other games getting much play. The former was just because it never quite made the cut, the later because of fiddly-looking FFG rules I didn't feel like mastering enough to teach.

The big hit of the weekend was the deck-building game Ascension, a game like Dominion or Thunderstone but with a more dynamic way of making cards available. A master-deck is shuffled and 6 cards are laid out. Those cards can be recruited (if heroes or constructs) or attacked (if monsters), after which the space is re-filled with another random card. Thus, your strategy must constantly evolve to reflect the current available options. Actual card play is simpler than either other deck-builder, with only a few card combos of any significance, but since it's mostly luck that would let you get a combo assembled, that's OK. Came out of the week better-considered than Thunderstone, if still behind Dominion.

Small World also proved popular with new players, and the function of several of the expansions' races and powers proved to add to the fun considerably (I'd played mostly just the base game in the past).

And Razor, if your three, Tribune is the most modern euro-like. Warrior Knights is a very good update of the GW original, but it's still a long, old-style game at heart with all the familiar FFG fancy bits and fiddly rules. With or without expansion, I'd recommend it only for those with a regular and known-to-be-FFG-friendly game table.

The Ghoul #471422 Wed 01/12/10 16:39 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
We've just started with Small World and I have a few expansions on my Xmas list. I would be happy to take recommendations on which seem to work the best! grin

Gypsy #471451 Wed 01/12/10 20:29 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Ghoul, you %^!$#$@%$ - I just played ASCENSION for the 1st time this past Sunday - I'm with you all the way - liked it much more than THUNDERSTONE but not sure I'd put it up with DOMINION yet - interested enough to check pricing and see if they had any expansions yet.

I did get Tribune but not WARRIOR KNIGHTS - IF my Xmas bonus is much larger than I think it'll be
(I'm currently expecting, well - zippity-doo-dah, zippity-aayy)
I may reconsider, but I've seen some other great bargains I want to get in on (a copy of ENDEAVOR for 24.75 + shipping, LEONARDO DA VINCI for $9.00+shipping, OLTRE MARE for $8.00+shipping, BRIDGES OF SHANGRI-LA for 7.75 + 6.50 shipping, CUBA and ASCENION both seem to be around $30.00 + shipping - not as good as those other deals, but still pretty good), I'll likely pass in favor of those.

Gypsy, I've played SMALL WORLD but haven't tried any of the expansions yet - I'm interested in feedback on them as well.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Wed 01/12/10 22:53 UTC.
#471492 Wed 01/12/10 23:03 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Reading BGG, it sounds like people either love or hate Ascension. Does Thunderstone get any better with expansions? I don't know why, but it looks cool to me <shrug>. Are any of the three better solo than the others(Since that's how I'll be playing most of the time)? (Dominion, Ascension, Thunderstone).

Nivek #471509 Thu 02/12/10 06:05 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
SMALL WORLD expansions that I've played with:

Cursed! and Grand Dames add interesting variety.

Tales and Legends makes things random. (Imagine seeing during turn 3 that the game will spend turn 4 with a certain type of terrain worth extra coins or unconquerable or something.)

Argus #471523 Thu 02/12/10 12:12 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
I think Grand Dames is one on my list! smile

Gypsy #471531 Thu 02/12/10 12:44 UTC
Cursed! adds the idea of a race/power with drawbacks rather than advanatages, which make for interesting play challenges. Kobolds who must stack 2 per space rather than the usual 1, for example. Of course, thanks to their drawback, they get an unusually high number of counters. The powers are also interesting, including the titular Cursed! (no effect in play but costs 3 rather than 1 to skip over) and Were (bonus to combat at night, which is to say even turns) and the frightening "Hordes Of..." that gives you a total of 7 tokens from your power (two more than the usual maximum).

Grand Dames adds three very nice races, the White Ladies who are immune to conquest and powers once in decline, the Priestesses who assemble in an "ivory tower" when they go into decline (that is, gather into one space rather than remaining spread out) and the Gypsies who get bonus points for abandoning territories each turn (so sweep around the map turn after turn).

Tales and Legends does a decent job of adding random events without making the game unplayable. It does so by letting you see the card coming up next turn earlier, so you have time to plan. But it's still pretty random, and I'm not 100% sure I like using it.

Be Not Afraid is the newest set, which adds some odd new races like Homonculi (gain one additional token every time they're passed over for another race), Pigmies (who can gain tokens when attacked), and Barbarians (who get lots of tokens, but can't rearrange at the end of each turn). New powers include Corrupt (you must pay to attack them) and Imperial (get even more points than usual for a large empire). Also this set comes with a box that can store all the pieces from all the expansions to date.

Necromancer Island is a promo that currently comes with Be Not Afraid. It adds an additional player who works from the lake in the middle of the map (there's always a lake on the map). This player gains power as tokens are killed, and can use that power to buy more tokens or to buy more powers for his tokens. Other players have to supress their normal desire to crush their enemies or the Necromancer will sweep over everyone.

Leaders adds a single Leader token to each race, which you have to buy when you introduce the race to play. In addition to being an extra token, though, the leader is vulnerable to capture, which can be costly. It was made available thru BoardGameGeek rather than stores, and so isn't included in the storage space in Be Not Afraid (though it can be made to fit with a little work).

I like all three race expansions (Dames, Cursed, and Afraid) if not every item in them, am more ambivolent about Tales and Leaders, and haven't yet tried the Island.

As to Thunderstone, I think the expansion helps (if only by expanding the variety of the game), but I still find it a less satisfying game than the others. The absolute divorce of Town turns from Dungeon turns results in an overly simplistic feel to the strategy and there remains a lack of reasons to go to the dungeon without a 100% chance of winning except in very rare cases. Also, I think AEG did their typical terrible job of the practicals of game production, printing the cards too dark (the art loses detail) and designing the card information in a total bland and non-intuitive layout (I printed out a "what goes where" cue sheet to help). And why produce a "store the whole game in the new box" expansion to fit all the cards (necessary because the original box was TERRIBLE for storage, something Dominion did VERY well) but make it slightly too small to fit the original rulebook? A smarter effort in the production phase would have made the game more a joy to play and less a chore.

The Ghoul #471946 Mon 06/12/10 17:17 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Nivek/All,

Had some boardgame events this weekend, so I had to play

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION - the new FFG verison - I played one and one quarter game. Very nice with a big 'epic' feel, BUT from the games I played, I have some qualms about the "Many paths to victory" advertised - there certainly are 4 different ways to win (Military, Tech, Cultural, or Gold(Economic) Superiority), but it felt a lot to me like

- the way I listed them is from most to least viable
- anyone who goes after a less-viable Victory will be open to assault by someone going for a more viable Victory (even a Tech victory will lead you to enough Military advantage to crush someone constantly putting their City resources towards Culture or Gold advancement)

but aside from that, it's awesome.

TROYSE - An acquaintence from my gatherings through meetup.com who's into the latest Euros not generally here in the states had this. it's an interesting Caylus-like deal using dice groupings and worker placement - each worker gets you a die in either Military, Church, or Economic areas, and the results of the rolls are used to fuel various actions (trading money for influence, influence for victory points, etc.) it's a little much to get into, and while I was interested overall, I admit it wasn't until the end of the game that i felt i had really gotten a grasp of how to do things.

COSMIC ENCOUNTER - Obviously not quite new, but it was the latest rerelease by FFG, and a very nice version it is - they've renamed and reworded a few things to make it a little easier to grasp and step out, Alien Powers are now color coded Red, Yellow Green by power level and complexity (Red - supercomplex/powerful, Green not so much), and they've put in some of the best additions from over the years and added in a few new touches, but AIA, this is mostly the same as it ever was - solid, fast-paced fun that's never ever quite the same game twice.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Mon 06/12/10 17:22 UTC.
#471953 Mon 06/12/10 18:28 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
It's funny you said that about Civ. I read a few posts lately that people were saying Tech was the easiest. So maybe your comments make me believe that it's far more balanced than people suggest. Could also depend greatly on what others want to do and what nations start the game.

Troyes looks fascinating to me, definitely on my list of wants.

I have what might be the original Cosmic Encounter. Cardboard pieces that don't stack and all that. Huge box very little inside it. Never played it. Someday.

For you and anyone else, I want to trade/sell a lot of my old games (mostly AH stuff) for newer stuff that I can play with daughters and wife so if anyone is even remotely interested, let me know and I can get you a list. If you use Boardgamegeek.com then you can see them listed under my userid kerskine.

I can't wait for Christmas when 12 people invade our house for almost a week where we can play lots of games smile

Nivek #471972 Mon 06/12/10 19:40 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

That is interesting - I so do not see tech as easiest, but it's spot-on that others' strategies and which civs come up would change things - some civilizations have major advantages in Tech development, and how combative others are being would be an issue - the more time you have to not worry about military advancements and put resources towards other aspects, the easier they become.

I see your trade list but not prices - I'd strongly suggest you check pricing on amazon, ebay and BGG 'cuz you got quite a few rarities people should pay big dough for - esp. that copy of AH's DUNE - wouldn't mind that myself, but it's totally worth far more than I'd have on it...

#471974 Mon 06/12/10 20:00 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Yeah I've seen that. Seems Dune, Gunslinger, Up Front are worth a lot. The biggest one is Warhammer Quest, I've seen prices around $300+ for what I have. That's astounding. One that surprises me is Borderlands. It's a scrawny little game on a paper map and people are asking $60 or so on ebay. For most of them (with possible exception of Dune, Up Front and Warhammer), I'll probably just trade them straight up for current games. I'd rather make someone else happy and get a game I'll actually play.

Nivek #471975 Mon 06/12/10 20:08 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Yeah, I knew I'd heard WARHAMMER QUEST and HEROQUEST sold for big dough, didn't know about BORDERLANDS, but I'm not surprised - some people are just nuts about the old classics.

Be sure you get a good deal - obviously, people should be able to offer some really new hot stuff for them - like I said, I'd love that copy of AH's DUNE, but I know I couldn't offer anything like what it's worth.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Mon 06/12/10 20:26 UTC.
#472039 Tue 07/12/10 12:37 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
My name is Nivek and I'm a Board game shopaholic. weg

I'm getting into this whole trading thing big time. Now I just need to get the family hooked.

Just picked up in trades:
Arkham Horror
BattleStar Gallactica
Defenders of the Realm
Race for the Galaxy
Dungeon Twister 2
Mr. Jack
Caylus Magna Carta
Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers

Then I see a new Math trade opening up and I got 3 people interested in Dune. I can't stop myself!

Nivek #472042 Tue 07/12/10 13:03 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
I love board games. Martin and I play several times a week, mostly Ticket to Ride Scandinavia (2 to 3 players) which we have renamed Norkopping! (One of the destinations) grin It is a well balanced game for 2, although we have modified the 2 player rule about not utilising both tracks. Takes the frustration out of the game and makes it so enjoyable we sometimes play 2 or 3 times a day in those rare free weekend days!! grin

Takes about 30 mins for 2 experienced players!

Nivek #472043 Tue 07/12/10 13:05 UTC
Borderlands is popular because it's got a rep as a far better game than it is. Which isn't to say it's not good, just that it isn't as good as its rep. Eon's whole line (Cosmic, Borderlands, Quirks, Darkover, and Hoax, and also Dune which the Eon folk designed by AH published) all have quite a bit of rep because of how good they were relative to their generation, not how good they are relative to today's options. IMO, CE and Dune live up to their reps, Borderlands and Quirks are close (good, not quite as good as some people think.. and I know, I rate Quirks VERY highly on BGG, but that's more because I haven't revised ratings in a long time), and the other two are surpased by current options.

Now, Up Front is a game WOTC should get off their butts and reprint. An amazingly good squad level, single-man detail WWII game that uses VERY detailed cardplay to replicate the fog of war better than almost any other example of the genre. And it contains a LOT of under-used design space for fidling and expansion.

re: your trades...

Arkham Horror> too long and fiddly for most casual players, but a great game. Great fun if you can get a group to play it semi-regularly so the fiddly bits get mastered and smoothed away.

Galactica> the reigning king of the cooperatives with traitors roost. Very fun, if trust-straining.

Defenders> Fantasy-themed Pandemic is an oversimplification. The questing-for-rewards sub-system adds nice quest fiction touches, for one.

Race> Once you master the icon language and start learning how to "leech" actions you want from other player's choices, this is a great game. But truly casual players will find themselves flailing to create an effective "engine".

DT2> DT is a brain-burning competitive puzzle game, where two teams of adventurers race across an ever-changing (via rotation of tiles) dungeon. Strictly limited resources and unknown but non-random factors make for a very competitive game!

Mr. Jack> Great two-player deduction game. One player knows which character is Jack the Ripper and is trying to maneuver things so he can escape, the other doesn't know but is trying to find out. Clever use of deception to avoid being found out to early is crucial.

Caylus Magna Carta> a nice simplification of the significantly heavier board game into a card format. Still quite a bit of game here.

Carc: H&G> An early alternate form that took several of the alternate scoring mechanisms from the early Carc expansions and turned them into the ONLY scoring mechanisms for this game. Better, IMO, than piling on too many options within one game.

The Ghoul #472044 Tue 07/12/10 13:15 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Arkham, Defenders, Race (once I get Gathering storm) and DT2 are all games I got, so that I could play them solo primarily and hopefully snare others. Battlestar may very well never get played. We'll see.

carc was for my wife, she loves those games. Mr. Jack and Caylus are for my youngest who is much more competitive than my wife.

As far as those eon games, I have them all. I just traded Borderlands for the Carc and Caylus games. I'll play both far more than I ever would have traded that. I know I probably could have gotten more for it, it even had the 1st expansion, but it's something for nothing in my mind.

Dune is the sandworm AH version. Had a few interested already. With the Christmas list I gave the kids, I'm running out of games I want that I didn't just get or ask for as a present. So I really better wait and see before I trade that one.

Nivek #472045 Tue 07/12/10 13:17 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Yeah, I've been trying to get Scandinavia or Nordic Countries, which I heard are both good 2 players games. Scandinavia is out of print now.

Nivek #472071 Tue 07/12/10 18:39 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
BSG and ARKHAM are the only games on that list I'm familiar with, but I'd guarantee that

- ARKHAM will be longer than you'd expect, and possibly longer than you'd like, but interesting

- IF you ever do get BSG to the table, it will be awesome - it is indeed the crowned king of co-ops in all my playgroups, though SPACE ALERT is very good too, and SHADOWS OVER CAMELOT is pretty decent as well - fair amount of solo and 1-player potential with that last - the Traitor is cool, but the game is very challenging even without that element.

#472072 Tue 07/12/10 18:46 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
I have Shadows. Played it solo and enjoyed it. I hope to try that and BSG with family at Christmas. My nephews like trying new things. I think they'll love the idea of a cylon.

Nivek #472077 Tue 07/12/10 19:34 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Oh yeah, and they should totally dig the awesome sub-game of false Cylon accusations - it's a major Cylon strategy to try and put the blame on an innocent, so there's generally at least one person pointing the finger - a little misunderstanding here or there, some retliatory "Oh you say I'm a Cylon, but look at what you just did..." and it becomes a free-for-all of paranoia and unwarranted suspicion all round...

-sigh-

Good times...

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Tue 07/12/10 19:34 UTC.
#472078 Tue 07/12/10 19:39 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Come down to KY and you can join us smile

Nivek #472081 Tue 07/12/10 22:07 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

I appreciate the offer but I
- Loathed air travel before 9/11
- can't really stand ANY trip where I have to sit for more than 2 hours
- have someone at the Columbia Law School Boardgames club who loves this game, so luckily I can get my fix with much less fuss.

But you'll dig it - just hope the Cylon turns out to be one of the leaders (President or Admiral) - then it gets really fun...

#472226 Thu 09/12/10 02:08 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Got two more. Yeah, I'm addicted.

Got Thurn and Taxis and Carcassonne: The Castle for B-17.

Nivek #472251 Thu 09/12/10 11:08 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Love Thurn & Taxis! The Castle is quite good too!

You are getting a great collection there! grin

Gypsy #472259 Thu 09/12/10 12:02 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
I'm working on it. I figure I should be able to find something for everyone.

Nivek #472339 Thu 09/12/10 22:39 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Hey, as I mentioned I don't play a lot of solo stuff, BUT I have heard good things about

INGENIOUS - I mentioned this before and Ghoul concurred as to its excellence, but I don't think I mentioned it has excellent solo rules, so though it is an abstract, it really does scale perfectly with any number from 1-4.

AGRICOLA - A very solid, very popular Euro I personally don't get into, but I freely admit that's just because there's some aspect I just don't seem to have grasped and thus kind of always suck at it, BUT it too has solo rules which I hear are very good.

AT THE GATES OF LOYANG - Imperial China trading game from the designer of AGRICOLA; also has solo rules, supposedly as good as AGRICOLA.

SPACE HULK: DEATH ANGEL: THE CARD GAME - This is supposed to be a fairly decent card-based version of the GDW classic; definitely has solo rules, and BGG has posts from several people who admit they've played 7+ times, never won, and still think it's awesome, which make it sound a lot like

CHAINSAW WARRIOR - to my mind one of the greatest solo games ever made and well worth looking into; it's long out of print, but you have the trade bait for it...

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Thu 09/12/10 22:40 UTC.
#472342 Thu 09/12/10 23:06 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Agricola and Space Hulk(Angel of death) are on my Christmas list.

Not big on abstract type games so probably won't do Ingenious.

I keep looking at the gates of Loyang. Videos and reviews make it sound kind of boring. Not quite sure what to make of it. I think I'll wait on it. I certainly have enough to keep me busy.

Just received some of my trades and I'm excited to get into Arkham Horror and Dungeon Twister 2, both having all kinds of reviews lauding them for solo play. Gotta admit Dungeon Twister looks very very cool!

I'll look into Chainsaw Warrior. Never heard of it.

Last edited by Nivek; Thu 09/12/10 23:07 UTC.
Nivek #472345 Thu 09/12/10 23:16 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
My version: CHAINSAW WARRIOR is basically EVIL DEAD II: THE SOLO BOARDGAME; it's designed exclusively for solo play.

You're the titular character, a Schwartzenegger/Rambo-styled Spec Ops tough guy brought in to clear out a house taken over by demonic extradimensional thangs and defeat the main Demon, known only as "Darkness".

You choose an arsenal using a point-based system, then move through the house using/"moving thorugh" a deck of cards to represent various rooms smacking up stuff and trying to get far enough into it to find Darkness while you still have enough firepower to take him out.

GDW did a short-lived website converting the game into Flash right around the turn of the century. As a solo-only thing, replay isn't not exactly infinite but it was pretty decent for its time as I recall it; I wouldn't make a quest of it or pay a huge fortune, but it might be worth looking into.

EDIT: Okay, scratch that - it was fun, but not worth the 40-odd bucks USD they seem to want for it on BGG marketplace and things usually go for more than BGG marketplace prices anywhere else; it's fun for what it is but you'll get worn out long before you get that much fun out of it.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Thu 09/12/10 23:19 UTC.
#472777 Mon 13/12/10 22:52 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Went to the regular game meetup in Midtown East and had a chance to try

7 WONDERS - Really good stuff; very engaging combination of card drafting, civ/building strategy and resource management with a touch of screw-your-neighbor; I can see why it's hot on BGG, esp. since it plays in well under an hour.

TRIBUNE - Didn't get to finish (had to leave early to catch an awesome Asian gangster flick, more on which in another thread); but it was an satisfyingly engaging mix of worker placement, auctions, special abilities bestowed by controlling this or that faction, and of course, my favorite element, screw-your-neighbor. Extra cool since you can choose a general game length by choosing which of several sets of victory condition cards you're trying to fulfill - choose one and it's about an hour, another for 90 minutes and a 3rd for a solid 2 hours-ish. Excellent interaction between players, well worth a look.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Mon 13/12/10 23:06 UTC.
#472841 Tue 14/12/10 12:21 UTC
RBSD> And 7 Wonders is the only major game I know of where a losing player can still by rule win a beer from the winning player (if using the 8th Wonder, distributed as a promo item).

But really, it's a great game and the necessity to play not only your own position (which you control) but also your two immediate neighbors (which you can influence by what cards you do or don't pass them) is rather unique. Recommended!

I've also been toying a bit with another new game, Famiglia. Sure, the mobster theme is familiar, but this is actually a tight little two-player card game, and it's a drafting game, albeit one without a personal deck. You use cards in your hand to recruit new cards for your hand, trying to maximize your score. There are a couple translation glitches in the rules (currently being discussed out at BGG), but it's a solid game even before they're smothed over.

The Ghoul #472951 Wed 15/12/10 18:31 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Picked up Puerto Rico in a trade. Not sure I'll get the chance to play it with people at Christmas. Probably need to learn it well before I can teach it. From my first look through the rules and playing a few rounds the three I can't wait to try are Arkham Horror, Dungeon Twister 2 and Defenders of the Realm. The best part is I can play them solo. The solo rules for Dungeon Twister especially look really good. very clear rules on what the NPCs will do along with a simple mechanism for ramping up the difficulty.

Also read through Battlestar Galactica. Since Christmas will be the only time I will have 4++ gamers at my disposal, I'm going to have to see about getting them to try this one first. As I read this one last night, I couldn't help but think that we could probably play this one in a forum here. I'd think it would be easy enough with a moderator. If that person was going to play, you'd have to find a way to secretly hand out the loyalty cards.

Also picked up Cash n Guns. I think the family will love it. Only problem might be that there are only 6 guns.

I saw a post about good trick taking games. A couple that sounded interesting were Was Sticht? and Njet! both available in something called Mu and Lots More. I love good card games so I'll have to look into it. Hard to find it in stock somewhere. Another game mentioned was Tichu. Know anything about it?

I've been trading away my old games and I've got almost every game I want now and I still have oldies left. So if any of you are interested in my old ones, I'll happily gift them to a good home. There are a few that I'll hold onto because they're worth a lot and some like Warhammer Quest that are just too much of a pain to ship, but if something else interests you, let me know. BGG ID kerskine.

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 15/12/10 18:35 UTC.
Nivek #472953 Wed 15/12/10 19:37 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
CA$H n' GUNS has an expansion that bumps it up to 9, with 'extra' players getting a katana and 3 ninja stars (all foam, of course) - katanas can only be used on the player next to you on either side BUT can be used every round, I forget how stars work but it's some kind of one-shot ranged attack IIRC.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Wed 15/12/10 21:04 UTC.
#473004 Thu 16/12/10 13:00 UTC
Stars work by having you throw them at the other player's character standee. If you hit it, you wound them. The C&G expansion also explicitly adds the idea of team play, working in groups rather than just for yourself. It changes the dynamics of play considerably!

Mu and Lots More is a very good set of trick taking games all using the same deck. Some of the games are a bit tricky to wrap your head around, but well worth it. Good, but not as good as...

Tichu is the king of trick-taking games in the serious gamer community. But it's climbing trick-taking, which is rarely seen in English language games (Great Dalmuti being the best known exception). Climbing means the starting player plays a valid set (pair, three of a kind, straight of 5 or more, full house, two adjacent pairs) and others must play higher sets of the same form to win the trick or pass. The goal is to play all your cards out first and to capture the point-scoring cards. Calling Tichu (or, if you're confident after seeing only part of your initial hand, Grand Tichu) means you'll risk bonus points on your chance of being the first to go out. Also interesting are Bombs (claim a hand at any time with 4 of a kind or a straight flush, though you can sometimes be over-bombed) and the various special cards (phoenix, dragon, and dog). It tricky to learn initially, but worth the effort! I play Tichu on my iPhone quite a bit, and face to face when I can assemble 3 other players who know the game.

The Ghoul #473960 Wed 29/12/10 14:15 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
As expected, got a lot of games for Christmas (and some more trades).

Really enjoyed Pandemic, but my favorite cooperative that I got was Ghost Stories. Has a lot of strategical choices every turn and you can really feel the tension ramp up.

Got in a play of Puerto Rico which seemed to end far too quickly, but I can easily see why its so well loved.

Incan Gold was enjoyed, just like you guys told me. Cash n Guns was interesting. The first game was great and we all laughed and had fun and immediately played it again. The second time we had people whining about "not wanting to shoot people". Yeah because the orange foam guns look so real. Some people take things way too seriously. So it wasn't much fun. I guess I'll be very careful who I pull it out with.

Also got San Juan, Agricola, Space Hulk-Death Angel the the card game, Mr. Jack(trade), Jambo but haven't had a chance to play them yet. Most of these I can play 1 or 2 person so I saved them for when it was just back to probably me and my daughter.

I was bummed that I couldn't get anyone interested in trying Battlestar Gallactica.

Played a bunch of others as well which made this a fantastic Christmas for me with out of town family.

Nivek #474085 Fri 31/12/10 13:57 UTC
I haven't gotten people to join me to play Ghost Stories yet, but it certainly looks like one of the more engaged cooperatives. And has a rep as one of the more difficult (if not quite Witch of Salem).

Don't slight Agricola based on a first play using the basic "family" game because that form leaves out much of the heart of the game (the cards).

The Ghoul #474086 Fri 31/12/10 14:13 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Oh don't get me wrong. I like the look of all the games I haven't had a chance to play. I just concentrated on the ones I knew I'd need 3+ to play since I had a captive audience. I'll get to them and I read through Agricola and it looks great to me. I'll play it solo if nothing else.

Nivek #474206 Sat 01/01/11 22:08 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Very nice to hear how some of these are going over (or not, as the case may be - major bummer on BSG - if you have trouble floating a table bigger than 4 this was the one to try and get going when you can, but it goes that way sometimes...).

If INCAN GOLD was a hit, you should strongly consider getting some edition of Legendary Boardgame Immortal CAN'T STOP - it's got the same kind of addictive, Game Show-style 'press your luck until you blow it or don't' mechanics and is similarly short in length and fast-paced, but WARNING: Like INCAN GOLD and CA$H n' GUNS, the short length and high fun factor can lead to addiction and burnout.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Sat 01/01/11 22:11 UTC.
#474420 Tue 04/01/11 19:39 UTC
A
A
Wow - wish I had seen this thread earlier - brings back memories of writing up board games for DreamScribe

Just some of my comments on some of the games:
re Incan Gold vs Can't Stop -- I love can't stop, but I think Incan Gold is superior, because of the aspect of having to predict what other people will do.
For that reason, I'd throw in Hoity Toity/By Hook or By Crook/Adel Verpflichtet as another short (45 minute) game. Often though of as being Rock/Paper/Scissors on crack because you always want to try and outguess what your opponents are going to do.

Agricola - I'm not a fan of the game myself. Probably better with the removal of about a dozen or so cards that just break the game. I've gotten to the point that with equally skilled players, I can look at the starting hands, and know the top two finishers at least. The cards make that much difference. I don't like spending two hours to play a game that is that predictable.

BSG -- Definitely the king of co-ops at the moment. Arkham seems to run a close second. BSG is in my mind what Shadows over Camelot should be. Shadows is just 'too easy' because there isn't always a traitor, and there is only one of them. BSG balances the number of 'traitors' based on the number of players, making it, to me, superior.

Puerto Rico is always a classic - and if you like that kind of game with limited randomness - I'd also suggest Caylus.

I'll argue Tichu as king of trick taking games - with my group it's still Mu - but it depends on # of players. Tichu is 4 player, Mu is best at 5 or 6.

Ingenious - an absolutely brilliantly simple abstract. Not normally a fan of abstracts, but this one I enjoy a lot.

Tribune - I personally like this one, although most of my group is not a fan, so I don't get to play often.

And now some additions of my own.
Through The Ages -- to my mind, the best 'civilization building' game out there. It's commonly referred to as "Civ The Computer Game as a board game" - much better than the earlier version of that (and I haven't seen the new version to describe). Its very playable from 2 to 4 players, plays differently with each number.
I still love classic Civ/Advanced Civ - but that's not really like the 'computer game'.

Scepter of Zavandor -- one of my favorite auction games. Re-theme of a long out of print game Outpost. and then later redone again as Phoenicia (which simplified things, improved a few things, but introduced a few more flaws to my way of thinking). All about building up your own economy to be able to buy more at auction.

Kingsburg - a fun game of resource management. To my mind gets a little repetitive as the base game, but the expansion adds so much variation to the game that I love it! Increases replayability tremendously.

I may have to come in and add a few more notes after I get to play some of my christmas presents smile

-- C'ur A'lduin
Alduin #474425 Tue 04/01/11 20:07 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Still looking to get Tichu and Mu. No luck so far.

I prefer Arkham and Camelot to BSG so far, for no other reason than I can play them solo. Can't really do that with BSG.

So far I love Agricola, but I just played twice with the family game so no cards. Next time we'll graduate to the E cards.

I got Through the Ages in a trade. Still need to learn it and then get someone to play. Time will be a factor against it.

Kingsburg and expansion are on the way, just got them in a trade. Looking forward to it.

I got Caylus Magna Carta. If people like that, I'll get Caylus.

Nivek #474660 Thu 06/01/11 20:31 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Some really nice people in this world! I traded some games to a guy who asked me if he could pay me in January since he was a bit short. It didn't matter to me so I sent them on the way. Well the Christmas spirit hit me and I wrote the guy back and said that he could just have the games. I wasn't playing them and I felt like doing something nice. He was very grateful and thanked me and I felt good about my good deed (practicing for BWG wink ). Anyways, yesterday I got a package that I wasn't expecting. I open it it up and the guy had sent me Thunderstone, Stone Age and an expansion for Agricola. I couldn't believe it.

So Pam and AJ if you're reading this, change your evil ways in BWG. It pays to be good!!

Nivek #474692 Thu 06/01/11 22:06 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Wow! That's awesome!! very interested to hear your thoughts on STONE AGE and THUNDERSTONE - the latter left me cold, and I'm really on the fence on the former - I like it overall but the victory/scoring mechanics are little byzantine, and supposedly the strategy of 'starving' everyone is unbeatable, but I've never tired or had anyone try it in a game I was in...

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Thu 06/01/11 22:07 UTC.
#475420 Thu 13/01/11 12:55 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Played Stone age, everyone enjoyed it. I've played Thunderstone solo a few times and I like it. Still haven't won (lost by a single point in the last game).

I know it's a long shot, but if any of you ever know of someone selling a Collector's edition for War of the Ring, let me know. I'd love to get one. I'd pay the original price or close to it, but not gonna pay the $1200 ebay price.

Found a site http://www.nexusgames.com/wotrbon/wotr-ordernow.asp that says it has some, but won't sell to US or Canada. No idea why. They seem to be in Italy. We got anyone in Italy? smile

Nivek #475457 Thu 13/01/11 19:26 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

Yeah, the only thing I don't like about STONE AGE is the complex scoring with the cards - it took me a couple games to get to the point where I could get what felt like a decent score; I just didn't value collecting those enough.

My one and only game of THUNDERSTONE felt like we had a bunch of the wrong challenge-monsters come up such that hardly anyone could make any headway except the one person who had played before - my one and only game of ASCENSION was much more satisfying, so I ended up liking it better - I might have to give Thunderstone another shot the next time I see it at my gaming groups. I have to admit I'm a little curious about the RESIDENT EVIL DECK BUILDING GAME...

#518092 Tue 21/06/11 11:42 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Well now that I've accumulated a lot of new games and had a chance to play most of them, some really stand out.

Some are the obvious ones you guys first mentioned like Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne. I added Nordic countries to TTR to give us a better 2 player version to play.

But some others that I don't know if we mentioned earlier that have become big favorites.

7 Wonders is a new game that had a lot of hype so I avoided it. I played it a friend's house and I saw the light. 30-45 minute game that plays equally well with 3-7 and doesn't slow down. It's a card game, that has some great ideas. Lots of strategy, plays fast, easy to learn.

Ghost Stories is a great cooperative game that plays tremendously well solo. It's tough and you have to make choices every move. My son doesn't play many games with me thanks to video games, but he saw me playing this and I explained it and he has asked to play it a few times.

Memoir '44/Battlelore are a pair of similar light war games. A lot of the games I traded away to get new games were war games. The problem with the more traditional types is that there are an ungodly amount of rules and teaching someone the game is equivalent to first year calculus. These games have a bit more luck involved some of the other wargames, but the rules are teachable in 5 minutes and the play is quick. It turns into a good tactical game where you can play a scenario in 30 minutes or so.

Galaxy Trucker This is close to being the family favorite, right up there with 7 Wonders. You build a spaceship as fast as you can (yes it's a race). Then you play cards to watch it get destroyed or survive it's journey. Everyone who watches this game, wants to play.

Glory To Rome This is a quick card game. Almost immediately, I thought of AJ when we started playing this game. You build structures that give you powers to alter rules. I could easily see AJ coming up with insane combinations of domination. Sometimes things go peacefully, sometimes the right combination can end the game instantly. Lots of fun, lots of interaction. Another benefit is it costs something like $13

There are a lot of others that I have really enjoyed playing solo, but these really stand out at the moment.

Nivek #518216 Tue 21/06/11 15:54 UTC
Note that some of these are also available on the iPad, such as Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne (obviously for people who don't mind playing these on electronic devices such as the iPad).

-D

Denis #518218 Tue 21/06/11 15:57 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Yeah nice if you have an iPad wink TTR is available online also from the publisher. It's a lot of fun and I've played that a lot.

Nivek #518221 Tue 21/06/11 16:22 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
I got Dominion recently and I'm hooked! As are the rest of the household! grin

Gypsy #518229 Tue 21/06/11 16:56 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
My daughter plays Dominion with me. Picked up a couple of the expansions in trades. Good stuff.

Nivek #518235 Tue 21/06/11 17:09 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
We have two boxes and two extra promo card sets. We have been promised more for Xmas... if we can wait that long! grin

Gypsy #518237 Tue 21/06/11 17:18 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
From what I've seen of your tastes in games, I'd bet heavily that you'd love 7 Wonders.

Nivek #518239 Tue 21/06/11 17:21 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
I have it. Got it at Christmas but haven't had time to play yet! sob
I just need more time for games, RPing, computer games etc. Work does get in the way so much! grin

Gypsy #518240 Tue 21/06/11 17:25 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Dang! Break it out Gypsy. Quit playing Dominion for a bit and get it on the table. There is a 2-player version but I haven't tried it yet so if it's just you and Martin then wait, otherwise shelve Dominion for a night and try it. You won't regret it.

Nivek #518254 Tue 21/06/11 18:08 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
OK, I'll try to fit it in this week but I have a character to do for Ken & I have bridge on Wednesday! grin

Gypsy #518334 Tue 21/06/11 23:17 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

Gypsy, 7 WONDERS really is the next DOMINION - it's totally sick that you have it and haven't played it yet.

I'm not big on GALAXY TRUCKER, mostly because I always get screwed by asteroids and/or bad tile draws.

Heard other good things about GHOST STORIES and GLORY TO ROME.

I've known about MEMOIR '44 and BATTLELORE for sometime now, but as you know now, they can be expensive and last time I knew BL could be hard to find. You may want to round out the set with COMMAND AND COLORS: ANCIENTS, which is from the same designer, uses the same ruleset, and pretty much what it sounds like.

You and other CARC fans should really look over INFINITE CITY, which I recently played - imagine CARCASSONE mixed with DOMINION or GTR - each tile laid offers a special power that lets you squidge the rules in your favor or mess with the opponents - it's sweet... weg

#518415 Wed 22/06/11 01:22 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
I traded Warhammer quest for Memoir 44 and 4 expansions, and Galaxy Trucker and Finca and Tobago and Dominion -Intrigue and promos. smile

Battleore I got with Call to Arms in an auction at a good price.

I just laugh and go with the flow in Galaxy Trucker. It's one of the few games, I really don't care if I win, I just have a lot of laughs with it.

Nivek #518602 Wed 22/06/11 12:00 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Days of Wonder have just announced Memoir '44 as a computer version. Didn't pay a lot of attention but id they do it like Ticket to Ride it'll be playable solo or online with others.

And OK - I am getting the message about 7 Wonders! grin Though I did play Dominion again last night. lol

Gypsy #518634 Wed 22/06/11 12:30 UTC
Nivek Online Content OP
OP Online Content
The Memoir online game is very good, but you have to pay for it. They recently sent out an e-mail to customers, offering enough ingots to play roughly 25 free games. (Cost varies a bit by scenario). So it's not the unlimited play of TTR, which I love.

Nivek #519774 Sat 25/06/11 06:47 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Gypsy, it's okay - you'll get yours once you do get around to playing, and you're sittin' there gong "WHYY didn't I get to this sooner..."

We have no really smug, knowing emoticons...

#519869 Sat 25/06/11 17:18 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Then instead I will blaze myself

Last edited by Gypsy; Sat 25/06/11 17:18 UTC.
Gypsy #527697 Sun 17/07/11 01:47 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

Well post again when you do play it so you can tell us how right we are! grin

#530830 Sat 23/07/11 02:37 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
I just had a thought about the iPad/iPhone versions of some of those board games: The Game Center makes it possible to play with friends who are elsewhere, but only if you have entered them into the Game Center. For example, my email address should be visible in my profile here, and that would enable connecting with me, especially if I get around to buying some of the game apps that support such play.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums102
Topics2,799
Posts139,102
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy