Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 53 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

As she keeps watch, she scans around for a claw or other memento she can bring back for Rory.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

Pavel's spell detects that the bracelet (large enough for a troll's wrist, suitable as a necklace for a smaller humanoid) found in one of the huts does give off a faint aura, and he detects that it is abjuration magic. Separately from the necklace, the vial itself seems to have its own brighter magical aura, also indicating it is likely a potion of some abjuration magic.

Nothing else in the encampment appears to have any magical properties, although there are plenty of animal bones, skulls, and a few sharp teeth that can serve as souvenir trinkets. None of them appear to be from a troll, however.

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Using the tip of his dagger he pokes the piece of metal formed into a large bracelet.

"This is a magical object. It'd take more study to find out just what it is for but it is of the abjuration school. Weak but it is magical. Likewise that potion is also magical same school but stronger than the bracelet. I could identify them if we want but I'd suggest doing it at a more secure location." He said as he stood back up. " I also wouldn't touch them until we know what they do. "

Looking around he finds something to put the items on so they can be wrapped. Finding something he places the items on it and wraps them up. Only touching the wrapping with gloved hands.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
Aubric

"Abjuration?" the elf remarks. "So probably a protective ward of some sort. Good if it's general, bad if we're the one being protected against. It would be rather inconvenient to be banished to another plane of existence at the moment."

AJ Offline
Kriv

"Let's have a look." The noble scholar headed over to examine the amulet personally, to see if the style of creation matched any he knew as a means to deduce its likely function, as that usually dictated form.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

Kriv may notice that the construction of the circle that wraps around the wrist is rather commonly seen in crafting just about everywhere, although of a more crude fashion that one would normally find in a reputable market, suggesting it was either made by a non-craftsman or repaired from a pre-existing one that had seen better days.

As for the magical nature of it, there's nothing unique about the tooth or the stone. They seem to be everyday objects one might find anywhere in the wild.

In sum, an entirely common item with an apparently uncommon enchantment.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

Meanwhile, Whisper flies down for a quick check-in with Gypsy, having seen a lot of... the Evermoors.

Whisper conveys images of a vast marshland, stretching out in all directions Wisps of fog curl and twist across the landscape, obscuring the ground below in a hazy veil. The mist hangs heavy in the air.

Despite the desolate and inhospitable nature of the Evermoors, life thrives in unexpected places. Whisper catches glimpses of frogs leaping from lily pad to lily pad, herons stalking through the shallows, and the occasional splash as a fish breaks the surface of the water.

Likely little of this has relevance to the task at hand, but Whisper prepares to return to scouting again, unless given more specific direction.

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel unwrapped the bracelet so that Kriv could take a closer look.

"Abjuration is a double edged sword. For some it protects for others it negates. This thing is either blessed or cursed depending on the user or the object. Curious to enchant such an ordinary object. It makes me lean toward it creates a protection of something or another. A subtle protection that if the wearer were robbed the object would most likely be overlooked and thought of as a piece of junk."

He starts to rewrap it but stops. "Are we agreed to wrap it and get it identified later? It might be of some use or it might be something that we want to destroy. The only issue is that it will take time for for me to cast Identify and I seriously doubt we want to sit around here for the time it takes to cast." Pavel stated looking at each of the rest of the group.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"I can hold it, if you want. Once we take a brief rest, say for lunch, I can meditate over it and see what it might do."

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She sends Whisper in the direction that the group of trolls had headed with instructions to report back if she sees them.

"Whisper has nothing much to report apart from mist and frogs."

She updates the others, finding most of them around the huts.

"I've sent her after the group, let's see if she comes back with anything."

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
OOC: Jaliera, roll a Wisdom (Perception) check using Whisper’s stats, with advantage

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Whisper

The small owl soars below any clouds, her sharp eyes looking for troll sign.

Whisper Perception with adv
Gypsy rolled 1d20+3,1d20+3 and got 13, 6

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

Whisper flies off to the east, searching for trolls, while the party discusses what to do with the magical bracelet.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

While it seems that the only thing of value is the charm found by Pavel, Davroar will gather as much combustible debris within each hut. When it seems everyone is ready to leave he will go around and ignite it with his Druidcraft cantrip to raze each hut.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
Aubric

Aubric watches Davroar gathering combustibles. "We probably have time for you to identify that item," he tells Pavel. "Tasting the potion shouldn't take long at all, once you determine if it's safe to touch the vial."

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

" I guess we do have time while they set the huts to blaze."

He picks up the bracelet and holds it while completing the ritual to Identify The magical properties of the item. Once he compketes the ritual he tries a small taste of the potion to attempt to identify that as well.

Pavel Arcana check (potion)
Miales rolled 1d20+1 and got 11

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

Pavel identifies the effect of the bracelet as a rather small, but useful, abjuration ward.

While wearing this bracelet, you gain advantage on saving throws against being frightened or charmed.

The potion is identified as a bit more useful, akin to Spare the Dying.

For the next hour after consumption, if the imbiber is reduced to 0 hit points by an attack, spell, or other effect, they can make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 10. On a success, the imbiber drops to 1 hit point instead.

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

When he completes the ritual and tastes the potion he explains what each item does to the party.

He concludes by saying, "while the potion is of much stronger magic it serves little purpose unless you are about to get into a fight you most likely will not win. The bracelet seems to have more immediate uses." His opinion stated he looks to the rest of the group for their opinions on the matter as he wraps up the bracelet to hand both items back to Zindra.

Last edited by Miales; Wed 10/04/24 17:48 UTC.
Zindra

"Thanks, but aside from my slightly pointed ears, my mother's blood that runs through me makes it difficult for me to be charmed. I think it bests serves another. As for the potion, I could hold it but during a fight, I'm going to be fighting. It's best in the hands of someone whose role it is to keep us alive."

ooc: Zindra is a half-elf, and already has advantage on saves vs charm. The potion is really a party item and at this level is trivial.

-Nep
Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
Aubric

"I share the ancestral trait that would make that bracelet less useful," the other elf nods toward Zindra. "I believe that potion would potentially be useful if I were also using a Warding Bond with the primary fighter," he suggests. "Improving their armor and sharing their damage, it would extend the usefulness of that spell. Of course, I'd want another healer around to back me up. But really, it's probably best given to someone who's generally defenseless and potentially alone."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She nods to the comments made already, not feeling the need to point out her obviously Elven blood. As for the potion, "Well, it could go to anyone, but those who take the most damage the most often or one of the healers is probably best."

(OOC - Note from the wording of the Potion you don't need to drink it in advance, before a combat. You could get into a fight and wait until you are down to single digit HPs where the enemies are still a large threat, and then drink it. That would protect you from the next big damage blow.)

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
Originally Posted by Zeim
(OOC - Note from the wording of the Potion you don't need to drink it in advance, before a combat. You could get into a fight and wait until you are down to single digit HPs where the enemies are still a large threat, and then drink it. That would protect you from the next big damage blow.)
OOC: This is the way.

Note that it's not just the next blow, it's all the next blow(s) (or at least as long as you keep making your constitution saves).

Aubric's IC suggestion was for him to take it in conjunction with buffing the tank using warding bond.

ooc: Huh? No. Where are you getting your information from? The potion has the same effect as the cantrip...

Spare The Dying
cantrip necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: A living creature that has 0 hit points
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Cleric
You touch a living creature that has 0 hit points. The creature becomes stable. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

A not unconscious PC needs to administer the potion to a PC that has dropped to zero. It then stops the need for death saves but the PC does not get healed.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
Originally Posted by Neptune
ooc: Huh? No. Where are you getting your information from? The potion has the same effect as the cantrip...

OOC: But it’s not that potion. I quoted its effects.

The mention of Spare the Dying was DM flavor, and not exact: “akin to”. There is a touch of Troll regeneration flavor to it as well. And in fact a stabilized creature could regain 1 hp without further healing by waiting 1d4 hours. A troll could regain 10hp without further healing in less than 6 seconds.

The potion does what it says.

But yes, if you wait until you are at 0 it’s not going to help. You need to use an action to quaff it before you hit 0, but not necessarily before combat starts.

Or if you're a child trapped in the stables when trolls attack, the potion could save your life.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

As the party identifies the magical items and burns the remainder of the encampment, Whisper completes her attempt to trace the travel of the three trolls who went eastbound. Jaliera receives the following visuals from her familiar upon the owl's return:

Whisper tracks the trolls through the tangled wilderness, her sharp eyes scanning the ground below for signs of their passing. The trail twists and turns, heading generally eastward until encountering a large burned circle of former trees. There's no evidence of current smoke, indicating the event was not recent, but the circular shape of the burn is unnatural. And in the center of that burn mark, there's a deep hole dug in the terrain. The party has seen these dig sites before, and the circular burning of trees is reminiscent of the story Glork told.

The troll trail veers southeasterly from this point. Along the trail, Whisper catches glimpses of a broken branch here, a trampled patch of underbrush there. It's clear that the trolls were fleeing in haste, driven by fear or desperation.

The trail leads to Evermoor Way, suggesting the trolls may have either crossed it, or travelled east or west along the roadway, but Whisper is unable to track them any further.

The only remaining lead for the party is the sack-drag trail and accompanying troll footprints headed in a northwesterly direction.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tusk
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,843
Posts140,934
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy