Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Asta, Phoenix Prime), 43 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1077412 Mon 04/03/24 22:29 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Those that choose to rise early for the boar hunt that they have all been invited to, see the common room of The Rusty Dragon busseling. Plates of hot food are bring carried from the kitchen and set down in front of patrons. At the same table, though dressed in a clean nice almost new blue jacket is the nobleman whom Cat had spoken. too. Those who hadn't seen him the night before met with him, and he offered a beaming smile. He is happy to have had their help, and each person (PC) of their little group is offered 5 PP (50 GP) with a sincere thank you.

Whether or not they agree to go on the boar hunt, which he says will be "great fun", he buys each of them a hearty breakfast of their choice.

The waitress will arrange tables as needed to accommodate all of you. Alex the nobleman says "beyond the payment for my rescue, the invitation to the boar hunt, which will be "great fun", I am treating you all to a champion's breakfast. As far as the hunt goes, I have taken the liberty of arranging for horses to be available, in case you don't have one, or prefer let yours rest. Nothing will be left to chance, fun will be had!"

Coral

"Hello," Coral introduced herself as she approached the nobleman, "I am Coral."

She took a seat opposite him. "Thank you for the invitation to this boar hunt," she added. "It is most kind of you."

She accepted the offer of the coins. "Thank you." "I shall go on the hunt and thank you for the offer of a horse for it."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He rises before the sun and performs his prayers, perhaps with a bit more fervor than usual. With a final sigh, he washes and dresses and heads down for a meal. He nods greetings to those already present and introduces himself to Alex. "I am Aendell, and yes, I would prefer to allow my horse to rest so I will gladly accept your offer." Besides, he knows how dangerous Boar hunts can be and doesn't want to risk endangering his mount.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak:

“I am Zakergillian. And while I am not sure my chosen weapon is of much use in hunting a boar, nonetheless, I am here. I accept your coin in the spirit with which it was given.”

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

She woke up the next morning later than normal. Maybe it was the previous day's events or the late evening. After checking on the rest of the group she rushes to the common room to join the group. At hearing something about boars and money her ears perked up and she joins the group not knowing what to expect.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
"Ah good" the nobleman in the blue coat says as she enters the common room. "Another of my saviors. As I promised to your erstwhile companion Catalena 50 GP on behalf of saving my hide." Though his tone is humorous the stack of five platinum pieces he sets in front of Seliam isn't a joke.

"Eat up, then if you want join us for a boar hunt in The Tickwood forest just north of town."

Last edited by Pandemonium; Wed 06/03/24 04:24 UTC.
Coral

Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, she ate up her breakfast.

Catalena

Catalena had somehow managed to awaken early enough to report for duty and make the case for being allowed outside Sandpoint and her usual patrol for the day. Surprisingly, she'd been successful and she did not feel like it was her imagination that the men of the Guard seemed to greet her more warmly than they'd done so for the past couple of months. Sheriff Hemlock had even smiled again, which unnerved her hangover state, as he wished her good luck in protecting the high-profile guest of the town.

She returned to the Rusty Dragon and enjoyed a second breakfast before heading out to the provided mounts.

Not a particularly skilled horsewoman. Like most Varisians, she had grown up walking amongst or riding within the colored wagons. But at times she could have a way with animals.

She greeted Daverin Hosk at his Goblin Squash Stables nearby on Market Street. He'd been contracted by Lord Foxglove for the outing.

"You all had done a good job on those filthy goblins," Hosk commended her. "I only heard about it after but if I was there, I'd be taking care of them right along side you and that's a fact."

He jerked his thumb up toward the row of severed long, green goblin ears nailed along the stable's rafter. "Add to my collection, you know."

Catalena raised her eyebrow at the grim decorations. "Well, hopefully no goblins in the Tickwood today, only boars and I suppose whatever passengers they'll carry. I'll need a bath tonight."

She surveyed the line of horses until landing upon a cream-colored mare who stamped her hoof.

"She's pretty," she commented to Daverin. "What's her name?"

"Oh, that's Maeve," he answered, with a skeptical tone to his voice. "She's right ornery lately. Don't know what burr's under her blanket. Maybe... maybe let one of the men choose her." He gestured to a brown pony. "See, Nosey over here is gentle as a lamb."

"The men?" Catalena chuckled. "I think that pony shall serve my gnome friend best. No, let's see if Maeve and I can come to an understanding."

She approached gently, offering out a raised palm toward the flank of the mare's nose, while singing a gentle song in Elvish.

Catalena
Perform: cast Beast Friend on Maeve the horse, with extended Duration
Vryx rolled d8,d6 and got 5, 1
So a 5, Success
A horse is Size 2, 30 minute duration is a +1, so spend is 3 PP's. Can be maintained by spending 1 PP per half-hour.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Not knowing what to expect looks over the breakfast laid out and gets herself a plate. Joining Aendell she nibbles at some finger food.

"Have you ever hunted boars before? Why do we need horses for that?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

"Yes", he nods. "Hunting large animals was one of the required trainings at the Paladinate." He takes a bite of ham, and smiles slightly at the irony. "As for why horses, two reasons. First, boars run as fast as horses do. We would never catch one on foot. Second, boars are mean and nasty things. They will charge as often as they try to run away, especially if it is a mother with younglings. They have tusks that can rip you open from groin to shoulder in a flash. Better to be on a horse to help keep you away from those."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Aldern gladly buys each character their mount from Goblin Squash Stables, then eagerly leads them and his three menservants west over Tanner’s Bridge and along the southern banks of the Turandarok River.

It’s a mile-and-a-half ride to Tickwood Forest, just north of the upthrust limestone escarpment known as the Devil’s Platter. Despite its ominous name, Tickwood is actually a relatively safe woodland. It is well known to be the home of wild boars, deer, large cats, and the rare giant ticks for which the wood is named—but no goblin tribes dwell within its boundaries.

Those who know the area expect the ride to Tickwood to take about half an hour.

Aldren talks almost nonstop the entire ride. It is clear that he enjoys being on horseback and out in the wilds. A consummate outdoorsman, he engages each of them as a very charming conversationalist. He seems well-read and has a seemingly endless cache of stories.

Though he is happy to talk about himself, he uses the little pieces of the stories he tells to elicit details from his saviors. He seems genuinely interested in each of them and the lives they have lived. He asks pertinent questions and tries to get each of them to tell him a bit about themselves.

[OOC: Feel free to offer or establish whatever details you would like about your characters, now is a good time.]

Catalena

Catalena rode the now cooperative Maeve in a style not so much as leading the mare with heel and rein but more or less as if the horse had chosen the path herself and the woman rode along as if a favored guest. Her loose grip betrayed her amateurism but she seemed comfortable and secure enough on the saddle.

At Aldern's anecdotes, she was dutifully delighted, laughing ringingly at his bon mots, her eyes twinkling. Though their worlds were far apart, she found that she did not have to feign pleasure in his company. He did not speak down to her and his joyous interest in road and track was genuine and mirrored her own.

She was happy to play second fiddle when he was deep into a tale, merely asking pertinent questions and enhancing the setups to each amusing conclusion. Never one to miss a chance at an eager audience herself, she nonetheless found herself a bit restrained, merely shyly hinting at her own stories for some reason. While he would learn how since infancy, she had traveled the length and breadth of Varisia with her people, learned the turn of the dance and the lilt of the song, she did not go into detail of the troubles she'd had when her free spirit of the road encountered the walled rigidities of the cities. Nor did she speak of her calling to follow the will of Desna away from her people to find her own truths and place in the wide world. Perhaps another time, she thought. For now, she was content not to tamper with what fate had seemingly laid out as a marvelous morning.

Coral

She rode close to Aldern, so that she could hear his tales.
Coral also eagerly listened to Catelena's tales, for she had clearly travelled much more widely than Coral had done herself.

When asked, Coral merelt related that she had been a traveller on the road for a good many years, doing odd jobs here and there. Any now her long time companion was no longer with her she was continuing to travel but now with new-found companions.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Selaim felt like a bag of potatoes on the back of the horse. She was spending more time concentrating on staying on the beast and staying with the group that she remained quiet and heard only snippets of the tales told. After a bit she became more confident in her seat and was able to enjoy most of the stories. She stayed near Aendell as they rode feeling that he'd done something like this before.

When the conversation eventually came to her she hesitated before speaking, "I... I... was a child of the street. But Aendell helped me get away from that and now I am his ward."

"That was about it wasn't it? Without all the gory details." she thought.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak:

“Myself? Foundling. Abandoned on the street, brought in by a stranger, when I was barely walking. Grew up in the same orphanage as Coral and Selaim. I know Catalena well from her days in Magnimar. They treated me well enough at the orphanage, until the day Malestrum came and saw something in me and took me under his wing as an acolyte of Cayden, me having been ‘caught’ as it were reading and following his tales. So now you see the gnome I am before you. Go hither and thither breaking shackles and righting wrongs as the opportunity takes me. And sharing a drop of drink and a good tale with those who will receive it.”

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

"For myself, I was sent to the Paladinate at an early age and trained in the ways of Iomedae. I have since been Blessed as a Paladin and traveled here to see the opening of the new Shrine." Simple and to the point, while leaving out his personal pain.

He rides easily, having been trained to not just ride, but to also fight on horseback. He listens to the others and nods at Selaim's comments.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak

“You are so much more than just a child of the street, Selaim. Never allow yourself to be limited like that. That you found yourself trapped in that situation was a crime, and I am glad he was able to aid you in extracting yourself from it.”

He says as an aside, being very careful not to remove her agency in the situation, before going back to the prattle of normal conversation.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Wed 20/03/24 13:52 UTC.
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Deep down she appreciated the sentiment. But she knew the truth she had been what she said she was. Her thoughts drifted to her former life as they rode.

Whispering to Aendell as the rode, "Do you think I am rid of them, princeling? As in Villian and the guild."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Foxglove

He listened and offered repartee. It is clear he is used to a court rather than an orphanage. But when the collective theme came into view, he said solemnly, "I will have to make a donation to that institution. It is clear they do good work, if they prepared you for life rather than for a life of crime." He made no judgment whether they had done other things in their lives. It was clear he was happy to take them at their word. However, he didn't seem nieve. He was as they all seemed to be happy to be out on a nice day doing something he enjoyed.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He considers then simply says, "I do not know Selaim. Were it simply an individual criminal I would say yes. But Guilds tend to have a far reach. That said, you'd think they would have more important things to do than track down a single waif? Still, I'd keep alert for a time, just to be safe."

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

She nodded in acknowledgement of is words.

That was about the best she could hope for. Already she'd been seeing how things were much different than what the guild had taught her. Much different indeed.

She settled in the moment and tried to enjoy the ride as she fought to keep her seat. That and to be watchful of the main reason they were out there. Boar.

Catalena

Catalena rode along and listened to the visitors' tales of their lives. She thought on her reading from two mornings' earlier. The Forge. Bringing together disparate elements to form a whole. The orphanage brought them together and began to bond them together. This journey to Sandpoint, a new arrival, The Midwife, built those bonds closer. If they had not been there, The Cyclone, the disaster foretold might not have been held at bay. Had it been, permanently? And so far, The Tangled Briar, being caught in the transgressions of the past,had not clarified in Catalena's mind yet as to its meaning. There had been the robbery of the corpse of Ezakien Tobyn. There was also the ghost of the murdered Varisian man in the wood that Father Zantus had yet to name.

"Truly," she offered, as Lord Foxglove had made his intention known to make a donation to the orphanage, "That seems a worthy cause. These four foundlings' intertwined tales seem as if destiny is playing a hand at the beginning of an heroic epic. It is my privilege to see it with my own eyes such that I might retell it with the justice it deserves."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Foxglove

He smiles at Catalena's words and answers, "So you fancy yourself as a bit of a storyteller? I see from your colors that you hale from the traveling clans. Where have you visited before? Do you know my fair city of Maginmar?"

As they road the day got a little warmer, though to be fair, they were so close to the sea, it certainly wouldn't be considered warm by most. There is a slight breeze tousling the leaves on the boughs above them. The dappled sunlight feels good upon their backs. The events in the square might seem miles away now.

Coral

She continued to ride in silence, listening to the tales.
She pulled tighter about her, the padded green jacket she wore over her red dress. She only had two dresses - this one, and the black one of yesterday: still recovering from its splattering of green gore.

Catalena

Cat quirked an eyebrow over at Zak, behind Lord Foxglove's back, as the noble asked if she had been to Magnimar.

"Er, yes, m'lord," she replied, sunnily regaining her aplomb. "I have had the pleasure of visiting the City of Monuments several times for various lengths. As Zachergillan happened to mention, it was in fact in Magnimar that he and I became friends. I have performed throughout the city, particularly Lowcleft, and also earned my bread through the telling of fortunes, by Desna's grace."

She paused a moment, considering her words.

"In order to properly receive the gift of the Harrows' foresight, the petitioner must be willing to understand that there may be more than one path to arrive at a conceptual goal, like 'success' or 'happiness'. As mere mortals, we often, if you will pardon the unintended relevance of the current context of our location, can not see the forest when surrounded by the trees. Do you not agree? "

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Foxglove

He nods in agreement. "I can't say that I am a terribly spiritual man. I believe, of course. One can't exist in a world where the gods walk among us and not believe. But I have never been gifted with understanding, as you seem to be. I trust that they pay attention when I make an appropriate offering. Beyond that," he shrugged.

The mile-and-a-half ride to Tickwood Forest takes a bit over half an hour. It is just north of just north of the upthrust limestone escarpment known as the Devil’s Platter.

As they enter the edge of the woods, he raises a hand to indicate slowing or stopping. "Now begins the fun," he offers in a softer tone. "We shall locate one of the dezinins of this wood and endeavor to gather our dinner."

He rides forward a bit his horse moving well beneath the canopy.

[OOC: Anyone that wishes to can make a notice roll. We will likely do this particular scene as a dramatic task, each of the PCs contributing successes towards the overall goal of hunting a boar.]

Last edited by Pandemonium; Mon 01/04/24 20:43 UTC.
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
M(Zak notices nothing with that roll)

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Selaim remained quiet as she followed the group as they went further along the trail. She kepbt an eye out looking for anything.

Selaim Hunting boar notice
Miales rolled d6,d6 and got 5, 3

Catalena

Cat was skeptical of the idea of the gods paying more attention based on one's gifts versus one's actions, but she supposed that concept might suit a man of means such as Aldern Foxglove. He had not given her an opening to feel safe brining up her particular trouble with the Feste family in Magnimar and how he might assist with it.

She turned away to see if inspiration might strike by taking in some of the glorious nature that surrounded them. As she did, she reprised her soothing song with which she had turned Maeve's temper.

Catalena
Notice, Tickwood
Vryx rolled d6,d6 and got 5, 1
Notice: 5
Also, spend 1 PP to maintain Beast Friend for another half hour. 6/10 PP remain

Last edited by Vryx; Tue 02/04/24 00:58 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: A 5 will let you know that there is something moving in the underbrush, which seems to be about the right height for a boar.]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He keeps his eyes and ears open as he rides along with the group.

Aendell Notice
Zeim rolled d6,d6 and got 4, 1

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

As they are riding, Selaim is looking around them. In the corner of her eye she thinks she sees something in the brush. Something almost naturally camouflaged. She double takes and stops her horse watching the spot not sure what to do and to make sure she did see movement.

Catalena

Seeing Selaim looking in the same direction she'd spotted movement, Catalena rode up alongside Foxglove and reached a hand toward his mount.

"My lord," she said, "hold a moment, please. Your quarry may be at hand."

She called softly to Selaim as she took a protective position up between the creature and the Magnimarian noble. "Do you see it, Selaim?"

Coral

Still riding along in her own little world, she is surprised when people start stopping their horses.

She looks to see what has caused the halt, and sees nothing.

Coral notice
Angrboða rolled d4,d6 and got 3, 1

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Selaim watches closely and sees there is something in the underbrush. She tries to listen but hears only the rustle. Could be horses could be their prey. She glances over to Catalena and points, "Over there behind that bush."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Foxglove

He makes a motion for all to stop. He says softly "well spotted to the young orphan."

He slips an quarrel from a quiver attached to his saddle with distinctive bright fletching. Catalena knew the dyes to make that particular color were expensive or it was from a rare bird.

The nobleman placed the bolt carefully into the groved slot of his finely wrought crossbow and nudged his horse forward ever so slightly with his knees.

Taking aim at the bush he held it steady waiting to actually see his quarry.

The bush rattled for a moment and then was still.

[OOC: It will take 10 successes total to down the boar in three rounds. This isn't difficult. Post how your character is assisting the hunt and roll an appropriate skill or attribute and of course your Wild die.]

Last edited by Pandemonium; Wed 03/04/24 15:28 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He turns as attention is brought to the nearby bush and brings the Boar Spear he borrowed for the hunt around. He knows Boars, especially wounded ones, have a propensity to charge their antagonists, so he will make sure he intercepts it to protect his charges.

(OOC - Using Defend, so +4 to Parry but no attack.)

Coral

Coral stopped her horse with the others, and looked again - this timeinthe direction indicated by Selaim.

Coral notice
Angrboða rolled d4,d6 and got 4, 1

Coral notice ace
Angrboða rolled d4, and got 4

Coral notice ace
Angrboða rolled d4, and got 2

so a 10

"I could shake up the bush a bit, if it would help?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Coral's perceptive senses can tell that there is more than one boar in the bush. By her best guess there is a mama and at least two little boars. This makes her suspicious and she looks a bit further. Off to one side she notes a very still bush, where the larger male boar is watching them. She is pretty sure from the behavior that it is ready to defend the family if it perceives a threat.

Coral

She was somewhat surprised that no-one had commented on the boars - it did not cross her mind that only she had seen them.

"Which one is the greater threat?" Coral asked. "The sow with her piglets? Or the boar over there?" - she indicated the boar's location with her hand.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

At Coral's comment he turns his horse and looks where she is nodding. "I will take your word for it." He says as he doesn't see what she is pointing at.

Aendell Notice
Zeim rolled d6,d6 and got 2, 3

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Aendell's gaze doesn't penetrate the thick foilage. However with Coral's pointing he does realize that there is something there. Whether or not it is a bigger threat isn't clear.

Coral

Now that she had seen the boar, she cast protection on herself

Coral cast protection (+1)
Angrboða rolled d10,d6 and got 10, 4

Coral cast protection (+1) [ace]
Angrboða rolled d10 and got 1

so a 12 which is a raise - toughness now = 8

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Lord Foxglove

He notices Coral's casting. Though his eyes widen, he says nothing. Magic is common place. Though it might be expected of a so called orphan, there is no saying where it might appear.

[OOC- she is going to cast again - but I will give others time to react]

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Selaim was spending most of her time trying to stay upright on the horse she had borrowed. She was glad she'd grabbed one of the provided spears although she felt strange carrying the thing in the saddle. But she trusted that Aendell knew what they would need to hunt boar.

Now she readies the spear. Trying to mimic Aendell. Hoping she didn't accidentally stab anyone.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak moves and does deflection ..l on Selaim.

Zak deflection
Art in the Blood rolled 1d10,1d6 and got 1, 3

(No dice luck recently)

Catalena

Cat slid out of the saddle, not particularly suited to fighting from a mount.

"Now, Maeve," she cooed to the cream-colored mare, "You stay with Lord Foxglove and his fine horse. Keep to his left flank and fight off any angry boars that might come at him, all right?"

Trusting that her borrowed horse understood her, she moved to cover Lord Aldern's right flank, drawing her seemingly-oversized sword, and kept her eyes open.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The Lord stays in his saddle, though to be fair, he is more comfortable there than many of his current traveling companions.

The boars don't seem particularly interested in the group yet. They continue to root and look for whatever grubs or other bits of food they can find. They also do quite well at staying hidden.

[OOC: Actions to further the hunt?]

Coral

She cast smite on herself.

Coral cast smite on herself +1
Angrboða rolled d10,d6 and got 3, 6

Coral cast smite on herself +1 ace
Angrboða rolled d6 and got 4

so an 11 and a raise

"Forgive me for asking, My Lord, but what is the purpose of the boar hunt?"

"is it just to provide food for the table? Or is it an opportunity to stand up and show bravery in single combat?"

"I mean, it's not very brave to kill a piglet ... but it does put meat on the table."

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Not knowing what else to do, and the nagging doubt in the back of her mind about being on a horse, dismounts. Leaving the horse next to Catalena's and hoping it doesn't run off. Joining Catalena with her spear ready.

"Should I shake the bush with the spear?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Lord Foxglove

"Good question," he offered. "It is partially to provide for a feast, but mostly, it is to test one's hunting prowess. In this case, I am more experienced than you, so I am allowing you to discover what is going on before I direct. Our goal is to find the largest and most dangerous of the boars in our vicinity and take it down. Thus we have not only helped protect the community, but we have achieved our goals.

"What target would you choose, my young Coral?"

Last edited by Pandemonium; Thu 11/04/24 16:03 UTC.
Coral

"Well, clearly," she replied as she drew her two weapons and slid off her horse, "the one to go for is the big boar over there."
She pointed at the location of the boar with her rapier.

"I suspect the sow may be the harder one to fight, biven that she would be protecting her piglets, but the boar is the one that everyone will remember."

She stood facing the bush where the boar waited, and asked, "Is everyone ready?"

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Sak:

“I expect no boar tends to go down easily. Stubborn creatures.”

He moves next to coral to wait.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Lord Foxglove

He beams with a wide smile. "Good Show!" he nods to her, pointing out the male boar. It isn't perfectly clear, but they might get the idea that the nobleman hadn't seen the larger boar. It is also interesting that any of them who knows anything about the wild know that usually male boars are smaller than females. In this case, this is something very different.

With a nudge of his knees, he turns his horse a bit towards the area that Coral has pointed out.

As if this is enough to provoke the boar who comes charging out of the foilage at them.

[OOC: Though I have dealt initiative, I am not really going to use it much. I was just checking for a rough order of things and any specials. We won't be acting in strict initiative. We are going to do BB and AB for convenience's sake. (BB being before boar, and AB after boar, of course).

We are also doing this as a scene, it won't be blow by blow. It is more "my character does X to improve or help the scene, here are my rolls" kind of a thing. Most skill rolls will be allowed, just tell me how they are intended to affect the hunt.

Boar Hunt

Selaim AS
Lord Foxglove AH
Catalena QH

Dire Boar 9C

Zak 4D
Aendell 3C
Coral 2D

So Selaim, and Cat can go in any order. Once I have those two, I will post for Foxglove and the Boar, then the other three will go. Make sense?]

[OOC Coral intends to blast it with fire before it gets anything like close :-) ]

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Go ahead and roll an attack, mostly I am looking for a number of successes and or raises, to determine how well she assists. This seems like a perfectly reasonable way to assist the hunt. grin ]

Coral

Still grasping her starknife with her thumb she extended her fingers at the oncoming boar and cast Firebolt with lingering damage.

Coral cast firebolt at boar
Angrboða rolled d10,d6 and got 5, 6

Coral cast firebolt at boar ace
Angrboða rolled d6 and got 2

so an 8 - which is a raise

Coral cast firebolt at boar damage (+1)
Angrboða rolled d6,d6,d6 and got 1, 3, 4

so 9 damage this turn [3 x d4 damage next turn]

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Not knowing exactly what to do with the spear, she rushes forward and braces the spear inches ground while aiming to skewer the creature as it charges.

Selaim Attack Boar
Miales rolled 1d10,1d6 and got 8, 4

Selaim 2h Spear damage
Miales rolled d8,d6 and got 2, 1

Selaim Spear if 1 handed
Miales rolled 1d6,d6 and got 4, 3

Catalena

Cat stepped up next to Selaim with her nodachi, wondering if it had a better taste for pork than bone.

Catalena Fighting, with +1 for Gang Up
Vryx rolled d8,d6 and got 5, 2
Attack: 6 total
If that hits...
Catalena Damage, Nodachi
Vryx rolled d8,d8+1 and got 5, 8
Damage: 13 total, Armor Piercing 1

Last edited by Vryx; Thu 11/04/24 20:06 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: I see at least 2 success. If we use Parry for Bolt, the parry is 6. Which negates one of the other hits. So far we have 2 successes towards the total necessary to complete the hunt, and Aendell gets to go.

If we go with the official forums, the game designer's say Parry for Bolt, assuming Angr' makes her activation roll of 4. Though she could get a raise there... ]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Aendell was using total defense and doing his best to interpose himself between the charging boar and the group, so with that he really gets no roll I don't believe, just a bonus to defense against the boar. I suppose a miss by the boar it if attacks him could count as a success? If its simpler for him to just make an attack roll let me know.)

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 12/04/24 13:49 UTC.
((Zak gets to go too, Pande. Don't forget him.))

Originally Posted by Pandemonium
[OOC: I see at least 2 success. If we use Parry for Bolt, the parry is 6. Which negates one of the other hits. So far we have 2 successes towards the total necessary to complete the hunt, and Aendell gets to go.

If we go with the official forums, the game designer's say Parry for Bolt, assuming Angr' makes her activation roll of 4. Though she could get a raise there... ]

Sorry - I did not understand any of that ....

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak attempts to move in from the side and spear the boar as it charges.

Zak boar attack
Art in the Blood rolled 1d8,1d6 and got 4, 3

(Not rolling damage as I believe we are mainly looking for successes?)

((Art, you get a +2 for Gang Up bonus because Cat and Selaim are attacking, so I think you hit with a 6. Damage roll might be worth it, and always fun, in any case because you might get a raise.))

Last edited by Vryx; Fri 12/04/24 14:13 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Vryx is correct the Gang up bonus does count and that would make it a hit.

Interesting thought Vryx. I hadn't been counting raises on damage, but I suppose in the overall scheme of things that is part of accomplishing the task.

So let's use damage and again we will only count successes, or raises.

I believe I mentioned it above the Dire Boar's parry is 6.

Because I am adjusting the way we are counting success, lets up the number of successes necessary, so it isn't a push over. How about we got 10 successes in three rounds, or it escapes.]

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak damage
Art in the Blood rolled 1d6,1d8 and got 5, 1

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

{OOC: So how many successes do we have as we enter round 2? Also am counting Zak, Coral, and Cat for a +3 for Selaim to hit; Finally did the boar go yet?}

((OOC I think that Aendell was making himself a target as his action (and maybe he'd add a success by doing that, even if he gets hit, unless he dies?) so he should count as adjacent, and Coral is not in melee. So that's the +3 for everyone but Coral.))

Last edited by Vryx; Wed 17/04/24 13:10 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The bush erupts in leaves and branches as they fly outward from the explosive movement of the large boar as it charges. It heads straight for Aendell but slips on a patch of particularly loose dirt and looses its footing. It stumbles allowing the remaining three to act without any harm coming to any of them.

[OOC: We have 5 successes going into this, though technically I still need a to hit roll from Coral, the casting roll is activation of the magic, not an actual ranged attack, so you need both, see my note in the OOC thread.

Boar Charge
Pandemonium rolled d8,d8,d6 and got 1, 4, 4 Guess I didn't need the damage roll with an attack roll of a 1. grin ]

Coral

The lingering fire from before did a further 8 damage

Coral lingering fire
Angrboða rolled d4,d4 and got 4, 2
Coral lingering fire ace
Angrboða rolled d4 and got 2

"Let's finish this," Coral said, dropping her weapons and going in with her hands.

Coral desperate attack (+4) both hands (-2)[1][2] (+1 +2 or +3 ?) gang-up?
Angrboða rolled d6,d6,d6,d6 and got 1, 3, 2, 2
Attack 1 = 3 +4 - 2 + (1 to 3) so either a 6,7,or 8 to hit depending on gang- up
Attack 2 = 2 +4 - 2 + (1 to 3) so either a 5,6,or 7 to hit depending on gang- up

Coral Damage +4 - 4
Angrboða rolled d4,d6,d4,d6 and got 1, 2, 4, 2

Coral Damage +4 - 4 ace
Angrboða rolled d4 and got 4

Coral Damage +4 - 4 ace again
Angrboða rolled d4 and got 2

So 3 damage from attack 1 - if it hit
and 12 damage form attack 2 - if it hit

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The little fire tossing orphan wades into the fray. The combined pressure of the foes keeps the boar distracted and allows her to flank it. Flank it she does, ripping and tearing into the large animal. Fur and blood flying, it collapses in front of the onslaught.

Lord Foxglove

He sheathes his sword and begins clapping. "Well done!" He applauds her gory actions. He unwinds a rope from his saddle and tosses one end down to the group. "Tie it's legs and I will draw it up behind my horse, to return to town, unless you have a better idea?" He inquires.

"Or we could gut it here and leave those bits for the wild creatures."

[OOC: +3 Gang up bonus now that Coral has joined in the fray.
8 on her first hit (normal hit) 1 success
7 on her second hand (normal hit) 1 success
4 successes from damage between the lingering (2, and 2 from her hands)
Makes 6 successes.

Though it isn't necessary, here is a discussion about popcorn initiative.

I was introduced to an interesting way to handle SW initiative. Draw cards like normal, but since this is PBP/PBEM people declare and do their action. Then the GM posts, then another player acts. Call it popcorn initiative.

So For the 2nd round card draw is:

Boar Hunt 2nd

Coral Black Joker
Catalena AC
Lord Foxglove KH
Selaim JD
Dire Boar 5C
Zak 4S
Aendell 3C

Believe it or not I didn't cheat, but Coral has acted above. grin

This will count as my GM post, next one to go is whoever posts.

Then I will comment/post, then another person.

Does that make sense? I think it fits this medium quite well.

Current success count 10 out of 10. ]

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

With the big boar down, Selaim sneaks back to where she saw the boars originally and checks to see if they are still there. Her spear ready.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Seliam moves quietly but when she arrives at the foliage she discovers that the mama boar and piglets have run off.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

"It looks like the others ran off." Selaim said as she retrieved her horse. "So are going to track them?"

Catalena

"I think this bullroarer here should be sufficient for a good number of appetites, no?" Catalena suggested. She had no desire to hunt down the newlings before they'd had a chance to enjoy a life in the wild, nor deprive them of their food source and protection. In case Lord Foxglove was feeling less inclined toward sympathies and more toward delicacies, she added, "Desna has granted m'Lord a worthy prize. Let us take him back whole such that tongues might wag of his successful hunt."

She also had little desire to gut and dress the beast in the wild. Not merely that she found the task revolting, herself, but she did not fancy having the scent of blood trailing them for the venture home.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He nods at Cat's statement. "I don't think the main point of the hunt is food, Selaim. It's about the experience. Setting yourself against an animal that is dangerous. While this can feed perhaps a dozen or two for a meal that's typically secondary."

Coral

She walked back to where she had dropped her weapons, picked them up and resheathed them.

"Was that a suitable show of bravery, my Lord?" she asked Foxglove.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Selaim watched her young friend as she picked up her dropped weapons. She shook her head at Aendell's comments though unsure what she thought of hunting for sport. Deep down she also had a feeling the sow had the more tender meat than the boar they'd brought down.

"Another thing to get used to," she comments to Aendell. "And next time I'll just stick to my swords than use this thing" As she shook the spear.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak:

“Perhaps the food shouldn’t be secondary. It’s important that a life is not given merely fr the entertainment it may provide.”

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 23/04/24 22:38 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Lord Foxglove

"Oh, I completely agree that this prize is worthy of all the tales that can be told. No, let the others grow up and become as mighty as this one. It is a rare thing to see such a beast, never mind be a party to taking it down. Though, to be completely fair, all of you did the work.

"No, this is another success for the Heroes of Sandpoint. That is for sure."

It takes a bit of effort to roll the boar this way and that, trussing the feet in such a way that it can be tied to the saddle horn. It might be easier to drag it on a litter or some other method, but no one has suggested such a thing. To those who are knowledgeable, it would seem that this is the largest kill that Lord Foxglove has been a party to. Smaller boars would be handled in the way that he is suggesting.

Catalena

"He's quite a large one, is he not?" asked Cat. "He might be a tad much for one horse, plus our own weight, no? Perhaps some sort of pole might be employed to lift him and share the load?"

She looked to the others for ideas. Had the three manservants also been mounted?

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He looks at Lord Foxglove expectantly. "I presume your men will field dress it?"

Makes little sense to carry all of it back. Much of the parts that are inedible to people can be eaten by animals feeding nature's circle.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

She was in complete agreement with Cat. The boar was too big for the one horse alone. They needed to at least lighten the load.

"I think Aendell's right. If we gut it the predators will happily clean it up and be distracted by the free meal. In a way we'd be protecting the farms if we did that. And the boar would be lighter."

{OOC: Interesting note: In Europe you are required to field strip it as Zeim suggests.}

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Foxglove

He smiles again "I was right to bring you along." He gives a wave, and at the signal, the servants move into action. Obviously, he was awaiting their determinations. One might think he was offering his own version of show and tell as it is clear he has knowledge of what to do in this situation.

In what might seem record time the manservants in a coordinated effort have gutted and trussed the boar to a long pole cut from a near by shore pine.

[OOC: Most hunters are required to field strip in the USA too. Not to mention the obvious benefit of lowering the amount of weight one has to port back out of the bush.

Who is volunteering for the two horse brigade? You guys tell me. The back to town and a bit of downtime before the feast, so be thinking about what you want your characters to be doing.]

[OOC: "Two horse brigade"? What's that? Two people on a horse or one person with two horses?]

((OOC he means which two people are going to ride on either side of the pole with the bloody boar body in between))

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Vryx got it in one. Just my brain being different than most peoples. grin ]

Catalena

Sighing quietly, as she found the prospect distasteful, Catalena realized that her supernatural trust with Maeve, her horse, whom she could soothe from balking at the prospect, combined with the fact that she ostensibly was here as a public servant, meant she should volunteer for the grim duty.

"Oh, well, since I had been the one to bring it up, I suppose I should bear the fruits of the idea," she offered. "Maeve and I can take one end of the pole."

Last edited by Vryx; Tue 30/04/24 17:27 UTC.
Originally Posted by Pandemonium
[OOC: Vryx got it in one. Just my brain being different than most peoples. grin ]

[OOC - I just assumed it was an Americanism that you all just 'knew']

Coral

"I'll take the other side," she offered, not knowing what she was about to let herself in for.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: No, really, my mind is different. grin Remember the movie Young Frankenstein? Mine would be in the jar called "abbey." grin ]

The decision being made it takes a couple of minutes with the help of the manservants to get the horses and pole organized sufficiently. As Cat suspected, they weren't particularly enthused about carrying the pole with over 100 pounds of dead boar hanging from it. Yet, both horses accepted the chore well enough.

All will notice that Cat's horse seems less bothered than Coral's. Yet they are both ultimately domesticated and trained to be ridden and work. These are not prized warhorses, but they do their jobs well.

In what seems like less time than it took to get out to The Tickwood Forest, they made it in sight of the wall of Sandpoint. Being a sleepy coastal town, the gates are opened long before the hunting party reaches them. In fact, word seems to have spread that The Heroes of Sandpoint are once again living up to their new name as a few people cluster here and there to greet and applaud the group as they come down the streets.

Catalena

Catalena sat herself up tall in the saddle upon realization of the opportunity of an audience and future prospects of some coin to be made.

She called out in her clearest barker's hawk, as she rode past, "Friends and neighbors! Raise a cheer as the Terror of the Tickwood has been slain! Lord Aldern Foxglove triumphs! Repair yourselves to the Rusty Dragon tonight and hear tell of the slaying of the Twenty-hand Ton-weight Tickwood Tusker! Perhaps even a bite of the beast for a lucky patron or two! Tonight! See you at the Rusty Dragon! Don't forget your coins for the troubadour."

Catalena would have also needed to re-up her Beast Friend with another PP. Down to 5/10.

Last edited by Vryx; Fri 03/05/24 15:46 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Her voice brings enthusiastic nods of people's heads with a round of applause. After it dies down a bit and they have passed further, Lord Foxglove leans over and says, "You have the abilities of a skilled politician. You could be running this little burg or serving in some higher body in a city like Maginmar with little effort. Well done." He is clearly accepting of her plan to share the proceeds of their hunt.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

The hunt had disturbed the girl more than a little. It hadn't been the gathering of the meat. Or the field cleaning afterwards. It had been the fight with the boar. Up to then she hadn't seen her friend fight close up. But during the hunt she'd seen first hand how Coral fought and it was disturbing. To her Coral seemed to be a pent up ball of rage during a fight.

As they road she cast a glance over to the other girl and narrowed her eyes. Resolving to talk to her later perhaps that night. But after dinner. And after a few drinks.

Catalena

Catalena blushed at Lord Foxglove's comment of her serving the government in some higher capacity. "That's very kind of you to say, m'lord. A girl who earns her bread through performing does need to work up her audiences upon occasion. I suppose it is not so different from swaying public opinions."

"Though," she added, "I would say that I prefer the simpler life here in Sandpoint than the metropolis of Magnimar." She smiled and turned and noticed Aendell's attention to the conversation. She acknowledged him with an affectionate shared warmth of the expression.

Once the boar was delivered to the kitchens and the horses stabled, she suggested to the young warrior of Iomedae that with the promise of further revels in the evening, that the present time might be the best for providing his Harrowing, which she insisted should be done soberly and with proper focus and respect.

((OOC Hope it is ok Zeim to include Aendell as looking over at her at the mention of Magnimar. Seemed pretty in-character/circumstance. Pande, just wanted to get the threads tied together as far as timing, etc.))

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The helpers at The Rusty Dragon took the boar and dropped it into a wheelbarrow. It took two of the young men to manage to keep the thing in it, and upright. It was taken into the kitchen for processing. Once inside one of the assistant cooks came out and said "thank you m'lord for the delivery. Any particular choice in how it shall be prepared?"

Lord Foxglove said, "I leave it to the lovely Ameiko to determine the best way to create a feast for the town of Sandpoint tonight. The boar is going to be shared, it is not just for The Heroes of Sandpoint."

The man smiled and nodded in understanding. "Very generous of you," which seemed to include all of them. "I would imagine it will take four to five hours to prepare properly. Dinner will be ready at sundown." With that the man turned and headed back in to the inn's kitchens. He and his crew had a lot of work to do to meet the deadline he had just set.

[OOC: Totally works for me. The PCs have an afternoon to while away before dinner. Anything special people would like to do?]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Seems fine.)

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak is likely chatting up people at the bar to get a feel for the population, seeing if anyone interesting is there

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

She walks with Aendell still peeved at his treatment of Cat. Looking around the room she spies the boisterous gnome at the bar entertaining a variety of towns people. Not exactly a crowd she'd normally engage with. But she ignores her misgivings and barrels in excusing herself as she does.

Coming up to Zak, she takes hold of his arm and whispers in his ear loud enough for him to hear, "I need your help in finding Cat. She just left the tavern angry at the princeling."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak:

He turns, all business.

“Of course. You wouldn’t have any idea as to what she was angry about? Might tell us where she went.”

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Mon 06/05/24 23:59 UTC.
Coral

Having followed Aendell and Selaim over to the bar and Zac, she stood behind the other two, snuffed out candle in hand, watching and listening to Zac.

At Zac's question she silently nodded in the direction of Aendell, so that Zac could see.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

If felt to loud and crowded to discuss in here. Selaim pulls Zac away to a quieter area to talk away from prying ears nearly bumping into Coral as she did. Looking at the girl she motions with her head inviting Coral to follow. Once they are away and she feels comfortable to talk in a low whisper

"Extremely quick explanation with a lot of layers left out is that the princeling's reason for being here was Cat. He was sent here to bring her back to Magnimar. I think the Harrowing was an excuse to get her alone to do that. So she's feeling a bit betrayed right now. Where would she go?" Selaim spit out.

All parts of her were screaming for her to just abandon the other two and run through the streets until she found Cat. She knew it was the foolish move but still it was there.

"I know not much to go on but I'll explain more when we are on our way."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak:

He looked at Selaim with appraising eyes for a moment. She was growing.

“I suspect things are more complex than that. However … Cat is my friend and I definitely don’t believe she would commit a serious crime. I want to hear the whole story from her mouth.”

He pauses in thought.

“Three places I can think of. To the guard captain, she might try to find if his claim on her could be a shield. The temple for succor. Or … knowing Cat, she might seek out her own people, if any are here.”

He tries to rack his brain from the conversations he’s been having in the bar if there is a hangout for Varisians in sandpoint.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

"The last place I'd go is the authorities. I still don't trust them even though the guard here doesn't seem to be of the same ilk as the ones in Magnimar. I doubt she'd go there. She was mad and hurt. She'd go some place that comforts her. She doesn't seem like the type that would seek sanctuary in a temple. That means hiding. She'd go some place that reminds her of home. I know when I was feeling down I still felt a pull to the guild even with everything that happened." She got quiet for a second.

She got quiet thinking.

"I think we should find the guard captain. They should know where she might have run off to. I mean it is there town and all. And if she came to them they'd know."

Coral

"I agree that she would not go to the authorities. ButI doubt she would go to the guard Captain," she stated.

"It sounded like Catalena was in the guard as a punishment- serving some sort of parole. Would not the guard captain represent authority? And is there not a chance that Aendell has already forewarned the guard captain of his intent - whatever that is?"

"Could we not just ask the barman here, where she might have gone?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Those who are trying to remember snips of conversation that they have overheard can roll a Notice and of course the obligatory wild die. 4 or better will garner the name of a place frequented by Cat's type of people.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
(Nope on Zak notice)

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim does remember overhearing something.

Selaim Notice overhearing
Miales rolled d6,d6 and got 6, 1

Selaim Notice overhearing ace
Miales rolled d6 and got 2

An 8

Obviously, Coral was in her own little world earlier -

Coral notice conversations
Angrboða rolled d4,d6 and got 3, 1

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Pandemonium 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gypsy
Gypsy
Pidley, Cambs, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,855
Posts141,364
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy