Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (AquaDyne), 88 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1070883 Mon 23/10/23 02:59 UTC
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

Word quickly spreads throughout the town about the latest arrivals, the Heroes of Phandalin planning to share some of their exploits via song.

For those not moved to attend by the sheer artistry or history to be learned, word also spreads about a free round.

Needless to say, over the next several minutes, there is a steady stream of new arrivals into the common room. A few of the tables in the center of the room are moved aside and a makeshift stage is erected.

A second bartender joins the first one and starts pouring full glasses.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He returns to the table and takes his seat. "I have permission from the owner of the inn to perform a few tales and songs in about an hour. She is going to offer a free drink to everyone present as a way of welcoming us. Do any of you have a preferred tale or possibly adjustments to what I might offer? Obviously, I can adlib and make it entertaining, but I can also steer the tale or tales in a particular direction. Any of you are welcome with me in my performance if it is something you wish to join."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Perform what you choose. I can supplement the performance with some illusionary accompaniment."

M
M
<Bern>

He sighed. "Sorry to say that I don't think I have anything to offer on the entertainment front."

MikeD
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

Another three barmaids join the original pair and help pass out the free ale to all newcomers, trying their best to keep track of which tables have been served. A few villagers quaff their pints and move to a new table to score a second free drink, but nobody seems to be complaining.

For those in the party who had ordered food, it's delivered piping hot as well, with plenty of time to eat it before the performance starts.

Several youngsters come in amongst the crowd, securing "front row" seats at the makeshift stage. This includes Rory, but his sister Lily returns to the stables with Finn.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"That would be great," he answers Zhu's suggestion for the illusionary accompaniment.

He watches the room fill and beams with a smile. It is always nice to have a full house when performing. There is something truly visceral in the shared excitement.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"I'd rather watch & listen Sindar but I can take a hat around for you if that is customary?"

She smiles at him, noticing Pavel by the bar.

Just before she tucks into her food, she sends a message to Whisper to perch on the inn and watch outside. She wats to know if anyone who looks like Bern approaches or if there is any trouble.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"While I normally work for a living, I feel like any meager coin they might offer would be better in their own pockets. I am sure we could have entered the town without putting up with the highwaymanship at the gate. I am happy to entertain. So watch and listen, enjoy the show," he stated.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

With good food and a couple of beers in him, he will sit back in his chair content to watch Sindar's performance.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

A middle-aged woman who has arrived with the recent influx of patrons approaches the table. Her skin is sun-kissed skin from years of working in the fields. She has deep green eyes, and her hair is a tangle of chestnut curls, tied back with a simple ribbon.

She approaches Davroar. "I understand you are the one who healed my mare, Tyra," she says quietly but confidently. "I cannot thank you enough for your gift. Please..." she pauses glancing around at the party. "Please accept a gift from me as a token of my appreciation. I maintain a cart at the market. When you are ready to resume your journeys, let me provide you rations. Your gift will more than allow me to replenish them when Tyra gets back to work."

Online Content
Zindra

She had hung out with Bern for a while. He was a good drinking buddy. They then had moved to join the others as Sindar was about to begin his performance. Zindra took a seat near Davroar and Jaliera as their bard companion got ready to get on stage. When he asked for ideas about his performance she leaned in and said in voice unlikely to be overheard by those outside their group, "Why don't you give them what they came here for? Give them news. I'm sure that you can tell about the brave folks in Triboar that fought along side us to ward off the fire giants. I suppose the tale of us wading through the sewers of Yartar to save the young nobles from the aboleth might be a difficult song to sing. Telling about the attack by hungry hill giants on the road might encourage them to be vigilant."

-Nep
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"Excellent suggestions," he agreed with Zindra's thoughts.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He quietly laughs at Zindra's suggestion not to mention their adventure in Yartar's sewers with Zhu's pitch to blend in his illusions to the story. That would probably make half the crowd loose their appetite. Just the thought of it again brings back ugly scents of the place that makes him wrinkle his face and absently wipe his nose just as the merchant woman approaches. Davroar stands up and says to her with a smile, "Hello. I'm Davroar, and as a druid it is my duty to see that any animal in distress can be saved if possible. Your gift is generous. If it's not going to take too much coin you would normally get, I accept. I'll be leaving in the morning, so guess I will see you then."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She listens to the others whilst sipping her fruit juice. She is not sure about their 'fame'. Whilst it is nice to be well thought of, she worries that it might also amke them a target. It most definitely makes it more difficult to do things discreetly. The mention of the sewers also makes her uncomfortable. She is fully aware that her friends almost died down there whilst she stayed back in relative safety. And those accusations afterwards from the guards still sting. Maybe she should talk to Davroar about it some time.

So she stays quiet and reflective.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Ever the avid scholar, and despite having gone through the events firsthand, Kriv is content to watch and listen on the public take of their collective exploits.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

It looks like the added staff has effectively delivered everyone a free drink (or two) and the offgoing pair of barmaids find seats at tables to take a load off their feet. A patron generously offers Rory's mother a seat near her son and the redhead joins a rowdier table in the back corner that has been generously tipping her all night.

The noise level slowly drops as the crowd seems expectant for the show to begin.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

As Sindar begins to tell the tales, she uses her Illusionary Cantrips to fill in some visual support, adding images of Giants, Fireballs and other things that fly about the Inn.

M
M
<Bern>

With all the new 'patrons' coming in, most of his attention was focused on looking them over.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

The half-elf noticed the crowd offering their desires by quieting down. He stood with a flourish, his clothing shifting in a scintillating pattern of color. With smooth movements, he made his way towards the makeshift stage. With a wave of his hand, he did a half bow and said, "I am Sindar. My friends and I have just come Eastward via Triboar and Yartar. While I am sure you hunger for news of the battles with the giants and other creatures we have conquered in our skirmishes, I will start with a song."

He drew his Lyre off his back and began to strum a jaunty toon. His voice was perfectly matched to the chords that he played.

The song was entertaining to get them into a better mood.

Then he began to tell a tale or two about the battles with giants that they have survived. He weaves news of recent events into his tales, offering entertaining anecdotal elements. Punctuated with as wonderful music as he could perform. He crafted the tales with highlights such as the Noble Warrior Kriv and his magnificent beating of a foe over twice his size.

Sindar made sure to highlight the deeds of each of his companions while dutifully ignoring his own contributions to the events.

He tells of the stag with the Golden Horns that they set free from the hunters.

Sindar watches the audience and plays to the stories that are received better, skipping the boring parts as appropriate.

21 total for Performance
Sindar Performing during the Night at the Inn, Bardic Insp
Pandemonium rolled 1d20+7,1d8 and got 18, 3

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel made his way back to the table the companions were sitting around. Taking an empty seat at the table. He decided to enjoy the performance before casting anymore shadow on their relaxation. Looking the companions over taking his time to decide on things. It was then that he recognized Zindra as the companion who had followed him to the bar.

He casts Message pointing at Zindra and thought.
See PM

Last edited by Miales; Sun 29/10/23 02:43 UTC.
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

The crowd in the inn seems more than pleased with the bard's story. Zhu's visual elements bring surprised oohs and aahs from the audience, especially the younger ones. Nearly everyone seems attentive at the news of the giants, with a few different reactions at the tables indicating either disbelief or confirmation or what they'd already heard... lip readers can clearly make out 'I told you so' in more than one case.

The story of the golden stag seems rather popular amongst the younger crowd, who cheer loudly when it is freed, although the older folk wait until hearing of the honorable end to the champions' battle to pound their glasses on their tables in support of the conclusion. Perhaps those barbarians aren't as horrible as some stories say.

The crowd waits for the conclusion of the stories...

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She leans back, content that Whisper is watching outside, and enjoys the performance. Sindar is very good at what he does. In her it evokes memories of their adventures, most of them pleasant and she is happy to relive them.

Online Content
Zindra

She leans back and enjoys the performance. Sindar has a way with lyrics and plays his lyre well. She could tell the audience was enjoying the performance.

While it was going on she hears a voice in her head. Not many would notice her nodding at Pavel, Jaliera's pal from Phandelin.

As the performance comes to a close she starts passing word around to her companions, "We need to meet outside."

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She knows better than to ask questions in such a crowded inn.

"You lead, I'll follow"

Meanwhile she checks in with Whisper to see what is happening outside.

M
M
<Bern>

It was an enjoyable enough 'performance' ... and while he had heard many of his tales in the past, his presentations were always enjoyable ... so he sat back, enjoyed his beer and listened.

MikeD
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Enjoying Sindar's performance, he is distracted from it when Jaliera gets up, and quietly asks more to himself than to anyone else, "What's going on now..."
Grumbling under his breath, he reluctantly follows.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

As soon as his message was delivered, he finished his drink and stood to head outside. He lingered at the door as the performance continues. When he starts seeing the group head outside he waits so they can lead him to where they feel comfortable and less ill at ease. No use getting into a fight when he is more just the messenger.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

The performance draws to a close inside, to loud applause.

Outside, the night is calm. Whisper detects no sign of threats, particularly anyone who looks like Bern. There's clearly a small armed presence making the rounds in the town, but they look like typical guards on duty keeping the peace. Since it's night, the gates have been shut but there remain a few watchmen posted to open them if needed to admit a nocturnal traveler.

The group's plans for privacy going outside is slighly disrupted when the show concludes, and many people leave the inn to return to their homes for the evening, but there are enough open areas to get away from the crowds to converse.

Online Content
Zindra

As the audience starts to rise after the performance, the scout makes her way to all the others in the group and furtively lets them all know about the contact that Pavel had made with her. There was information that Pavel wanted to share in a location that was more secure than a crowded tavern.

-Nep
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

He sees Jaliera and the druid start to head outside. "Dav something. Davroar." he thought. "I really need to do better remembering names." He rolls his eyes then follows them thinking it would be best to be seen again waiting for the rest of the group with part of the group.

As he nears the two that did come outside to the meeting, he says, "Just me again. We met earlier. But it is something for everyone. Thought it best to be here already when they came out."

He looks to Jaliera.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"They'll be here."

This is said with confidence.

AJ Offline
Kriv

The noble knew well how to make a polite exit and did so, rendezvousing with the others.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He lingered with the crowd as some came up to make whatever comments were on their minds. He noticed his companions heading for the exit, and would follow as soon as the crowd allowed him to do so easily. For now he couldn't break away without causing too much attention. Better to play his part and distract from his friend's exit. He could always catch up later.

[OOC: Simple Answer, Sindar will join the group with the GM feels it is thematically appropriate.]

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
[OOC: The DM is waiting for whoever scheduled this meeting on my calendar to arrive and get it started, and is multitasking with other work until the meeting starts.] lurk

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
OOC: The person that called the meeting is waiting to see if they are joined by Arus (Nem)... and incidentally Nem made a good point about Gypsy being there but not there. Is she being ghosted?

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
[OOC: Gypsy did say to ghost Jaliera and I'll do so if needed. I'm also waiting for y'all to actually say where exactly you're having this conversation so I can decide whether or not you may or may not need to roll for perception for various things that may or may not happen.]

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

Still smirking from flirting with a serving wench, Arus arrives outside to join the rest of the party.

Online Content
Zindra

She makes her way out of the inn and finds the others gathered. She was curious what information Pavel had to share.

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

While they 'gathered' outside, he continued to contemplate why his 'double' wanted his 'visage'. It didn't seem to make any sense. He had nothing to do with any powers or the like. It made no sense to him.

MikeD
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

The group finds a spot off the beaten path to have a quiet conversation without lurkers nearby. That they can see, at least. The crowd scatters away from the tavern toward their homes, and even those who had been enjoying the revelry prior to the show seem to be winding down as the night grows darker.

[OOC: if anyone's looking around for anything out of the ordinary, roll for perception. I'll roll for Whisper whose job is to do exactly that. Everyone else I'll be using passive perception for something.]
Whisper Perception check
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+3 and got 13

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel follows the group to the location of their choosing. As he is walking up to them he is wary of the dispersing crowd from the tavern and any of the guards. When they stop he look out around them trying to see if they are being followed or overheard.

Pavel Perception
Miales rolled 1d20+3 and got 16

He looks over the assembled group. The Heroes of Phandalin and a few others. He noticed that their bard wasn't there. Glancing at the Dragonborn he shuddered a little. He'd heard of Kriv and seen him before but never so close. To Pavel it was unsettling. Closing his eyes he calmed himself before speaking.

"I know some of your journey to here from your entertainer's song and the elf's illusions. How throughout your journey you've been running into mysterious happenings with giants. And from tales I overheard here there has been more going on with them. Underlying within that giant problem are two names of denizens who are not giants. Weevil who turned his back on his heritage and natural hatred towards the giants in the name of profit and his counterpart the doppleganger Vhalak who is doing your friend Bern a grave injustice by taking on his form and sullying his name wherever it goes."

Pavel paused briefly and took a drink looking around as he did so mostly at the group in front of him but also beyond them trying to detect any eavesdroppers.

Pavel Perception
Miales rolled 1d20+3 and got 10
Doubtful he'd notice anything so he'd continue

"I spoke with one of the waitresses, the boy Rory's mother. She imparted the following. Weevil and the doppleganger were here about a ten day ago. WHile they were here Rory's mother overheard Weevil talking about selling weapons to the giants and Rory overheard them talking about getting weapons enchanted at the blacksmith's. And that they were already selling magical weapons to hill giants. She also told me that Weevil and the doppleganger have split up but intend to meet in Everlund once their separate endeavors are completed."

"Weevil is headed North towards a town called Olostin's Hold. He was talking about being in possession of a map that led to something big that would be of great interest to the giants and that he was hoping to sell it to the "tall ones". He wouldn't go into much detail about the map except that he was wary of anybody from the Alliance or those "holier than thou" Gauntlet people. Apparently, the Alliance and these Gauntlet people would take great interest in this map because it might lead to something of significance to them or maybe he is just really scared of them. Regardless he is supposed to be trying to meet a buyer for that map near the Evermoors close to the town."

He looked around again before continuing.

"Now Vahlak is headed to the High Forest. His intention was not discussed. Only thing I know in that area though is Turlang. So he might have some business with the treant there. Regardless that is my next destination but not until after I talk to the blacksmith about these enchanted weapons I just learned about. A little late to do that today, so I guess I'll wait until tomorrow."

"That is all I have. But I can give another nugget of information. Bern is still Bern for now anyway. While we were talking in there I was thinking about how to detect if Bern was swapped out. I heard that higher level magic users can make a glyph against specific creatures. Maybe something like that would work. Glyph something common that Bern normally uses like maybe his pack or longbow against dopplegangers. He stops using the item or it goes off then you'll know it isn't Bern. Of course I don't know a glyph like that but supposedly it is possible."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She nods as Pavel imparts the fist part of his information, confirming what he had said, but listens intently to the rest of the information as that was new to her. She checks in with Whisper to see if she has anything to report.

"I guess we need to make some decisions about where we go from here. Maybe we need to split into 2 groups temporarily? And we might want to include Pavel too? Zhu can you cast the sort of glyph Pavel is suggesting?"

Online Content
Zindra

She was intrigued by the turn of events.

"Turlang? If he looks like Bern, and knows what Bern knows..."

The doppelganger, now with a name 'Vahlak' started to make sense.

"Not everyone can find Turlang, you know. And he's not the only treant."

She glances at Bern and Davroar. If Vahlek the doppelganger was going to impersonate Bern, it was a big issue.

-Nep
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

The inn sits on a hill overlooking the rest of the town, and thus has a great vantage point even beyond the surrounding walls.

The night is clear, but Whisper alerts Jaliera to something unusual in the sky... a cloud. Hovering over that cottage everyone passed on the way in. Everyone but Pavel, that is, who happens to be looking in the opposite direction and misses it.

And not just any cloud, but in fact it looks like it's raining on that cottage, and nowhere else.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

Still smiling from the high of performing for so many people and having the enjoy it. He is paying less attention to the things going on around him.

He listens to the information that is offered.

Hey look it is a boot!

Sindar Perception
Pandemonium rolled 1d20+6 and got 7

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Whisper has spotted a cloud raining on the witch's cottage we passed on the way in. Weird."

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

An isolated storm? He looks up and notices that the skies are clear.

"Why would that be of significance? The witch might be doing some sort of ritual. What's the big deal?"

(OOC: Just a note. Pavel has no clue about those stones the party has been collecting. I can't imagine them having come up during Sindar's song either.)

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Sindar specifically made their tales more generic and accessible, which is why I mentioned leaving the mural out of them. I should have said the same thing about the stones, but you assumed correctly. My intention was merely to tell tales of larger than life heroes, sprinkled with news, which I felt the patrons would enjoy.]

Online Content
Zindra

"It seems we should check it out but let's get back to discussing what we intend to do in the long run after we deal with the cloud."

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

"Not sure why a rain cloud over a hut outside the town is of any real concern", he said with a shrug.

MikeD
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He looks towards the mentioned rain cloud, yet like Bern, Davroar does not put concern into it. For all they know, the witch maybe just wants to water her plants around her home.

Pavel's recent information has most of his attention though. Kowning that the doppleganger is heading in the same direction, he says to Bern and Zindra, "Looks we're going to have to be extra watchful for Vahlak. Do you think he will try to get to Turlangto hurt him?"

Last edited by Dugan; Tue 07/11/23 07:58 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"I had planned to pay a visit to the person living there later this evening anyway. Professional curiosity if nothing else. This adds a little interest to it. We do not all need to go. Could be a bit overwhelming?"

M
M
<Bern>

"I agree that we should not overwhelm, but we might want to have a couple watching and waiting near by", he suggested.

MikeD
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

Other than the odd and probably magical rain cloud beyond the walls, nobody in the party notices anything else unusual as they discuss their next steps.

From their vantage point on the hill, they can see the gates on all four visible town entrances are closed, with at least one guardsperson at each one. This may create an obstacle to a late-night visit outside the walls but not one that's impossible to overcome if the visit can't wait until morning.

The cloud and the rain falling from it do appear to be changing slightly, with various direction and intensity changes making it clear someone's actively interacting with the effect rather than just taking a shower. The changes are small enough to not really indicate any other significance, however.

Online Content
Zindra

She nudge Bern who may not have noticed as she moved over to Davroar who had called them over. The discussion about the rain cloud was interesting but what Davroar was talking about wa critically important.

"Our mission takes a higher priority now. If Vahlak is on his way to see Turlang it now makes sense that the Doppelganger has taken on Bern's form."

She turns to Bern, "If what we've learned is all true, it would know how to get into Shadowtop Cathedral because you know how to get there. If Turlang does not suspect the ruse, he could indeed be in danger and that would endanger the entirety of the High Forest!"

Talking to both now but glancing over toward Pavel she whispers, "I don't know this one but if Jaliera has vouched for him, we could lead him there. We're not supposed to, but he has talents that will become useful if we encounter Vahlek. The purpose of secrecy is to protect the enclave's meeting place and Turlang. I think that the urgency of this matter makes this an exception. And Jaliera, although not a member of the Enclave, has endured much with us and I assume we have all grown to trust her. What do you both think? Do the five of us follow Vahlek together?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He listens to Zindra's 'assessment' of the situation' and considers for a moment.

"Yes, our mission is important, but I think that protecting Turlang is more important."

MikeD
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He nods in agreement with Zindra and says, "I trust Jaliera. She seems to know Pavel well enough that I have no hesitation traveling with him. I just hope that somehow we can reach Turlang before Vahlek does. How far do you think Vahlek is ahead of us?"

Online Content
Zindra

The three are enough off to the side, giving her enough confidence that their conversation was not overhead by anyone unintended. It did not matter really. She trusted these new friends knowing that the three of them had taken vows to protect the natural world and helps others survive in the wilderness. Their actions belied who they were and the Emerald Enclave was not as furtive as some of the other factions in the Realms. Still, there were secrets that members had that shouldn't be shared.

"We don't know how much information Vahlek was able to siphon from Bern about the safeguards around Shadowtop Cathedral. We should assume the worst and make haste. But that haste shouldn't come at the expense of taking enough time to learn what we need to know before we encounter the doppelganger or reach Turlang."

-Nep
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Seeing that the group is breaking up to discuss things amongst themselves, adjusts his cloak and starts to head back to the inn. "Thank you for hearing me out. I have a few things to take care of before I head to the forest. Curious information that little Rory overheard that bears some checking in to. Unless you might have heard something on your travels that this town's blacksmith can enchant weapons or at least craft enchanted weapons." Pavel looked over the group before continuing.

"Other than that I still need to find a group headed to the High Forest. I bid you good night." He said as he started off to the inn.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"That might well be us Pavel. We just need to discuss which of us are going where."

She smiles at him, not seeing a problem with him joining.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Jaliera's words were heartening. He'd dreaded finding a group headed to the High Forest remembering the experiences he had in his travels out there. He stopped and turned back to the group.

"Are you asking me to stay around as your party discusses your next steps?" Pavel asked.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She turns back from her intriguing study of the rain cloud and nods to Pavel. "Yes, I think that would be a good idea."

Online Content
Zindra
"You've brought us important information," she agreed with Jaliera. "If some of us are headed into the High Forest, we would be foolish to not welcome you to join. There's always safety in numbers. And as long as you respect nature, we'll respect you."

-Nep
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

The crowds leaving the inn after Sindar's performance have long since dispersed, with most townfolk returning to their homes. Even the sounds of revelry from the inn have died down, indicating most people are calling it a night, although the lights are still on in the inn with an occasional new arrival or departure.

However, while the party's side conversation was mostly lost in the hubbub of people moving around, they now stick out rather obviously as a group plotting something outside, somewhere near the north gate. One of the patrolling guards strolls in the direction of the party, weapon still sheathed but hand resting gently on it, appearing to want to investigate the gathering.

M
M
<Bern>

He was beginning to think that they would have been better off camping outside this place.

"This is gonna get ugly", he said to the group. "Any ideas about how we confront this", he asked.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"With charm."

And she grins.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He gives a puzzled look to Bern in thinking why the single approaching guard is going to be a problem. It is not as if they are planning to do anything illegal. The rules in some towns and cities are sometimes confusing to him, so looking to Jaliera he adds, "You're more charming than me. Best you talk with the guard."

M
M
<Bern>

He shrugged at Jamiera's 'plan' quite willing to give 'charm' a chance ... but kept his hand on his hilt just in case.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Or by avoiding it....". With a quick flick of her wrist there is suddenly a female cry from around the corner of the inn, back behind the approaching guard. "Help! Guards! Help me!"

Expecting the Guard to turn and run back, she adds to the group, "Best we move off?"

Online Content
Zindra

"Let's try to not slaughter everyone in this village. We don't need your reputation tarnished any further," she said teasingly to Bern.

"Go ahead hon. Show us your game. I want to see you charm the britches off of that guard. I'm taking notes," she needled Jaliera.

-Nep
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

The guard is not so stupid to immediately run off to a distracting sound, as that's a common tactic amongst ne'er-do-wells. He does spend a moment looking that direction to try to judge whether the call is real or a distraction.

North Gate Guard Intelligence (Investigation) @ 15 DC
AquaDyne rolled 1d20 and got 4

OK, maybe the guard is so stupid. He turns and briskly walks in the direction of the female voice. Seems Jaliera will have to wait to answer Zindra's challenge.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"We can continue this discussion in our rooms if we wish." He offers.

Online Content
Zindra
"You don't have to tell me twice," she says as she begins heading to their rooms.

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He turns and heads back as the others did.

MikeD
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel followed the group back to the inn. Still quiet to let them discuss their plans. Ready to provide more information as they need it. But thinking about something they said earlier.

"So when were you planning on heading out?

Last edited by Neptune; Sat 18/11/23 20:35 UTC. Reason: DM fixed it for you and cleaned up
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

It was a simple ruse, but it worked more often than not, and it avoided a potentially difficult conversation. She headed off with the rest so they would be gone by the time the guard returned.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

As the party re-enters the inn, the common room has significantly quieted. Most of the patrons have left, residents to their homes in the village and visitors to their rooms at the inn. There are still a half dozen still present enjoying the remainder of their drinks. The barmaids have left, leaving only the bartender to serve anyone who remains.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He says to his companions, "I will be along in a moment." Turning he walks across the bar towards a table with a lone elf seated at it.

Leaning in he says "may I buy you a drink? If so what would you like?" Assuming he is given an answer, he walks over to the bartender to order himself a local cellar chilled ale, and whatever the elf specified.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Elven patron

The elf that Sindar addressed smiles. "I'm partial to brandy," he replies, and slides a coin across the table. "Let me buy you your drink in exchange."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"Thank you," he answered accepting the coin.

Last edited by Pandemonium; Mon 20/11/23 08:29 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She winks a Zhu.

"Much safer than relying on my charm."

She grins and follows the others.

AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn resumes his seat, thoughtful and silent, watchful.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Mysterious Elf

The elf who exchanged buying a cheaper drink for Sindar with a more expensive one waits until the bard returns to his table, sliding a small rolled up parchment across the table to him. If Sindar unrolls it, he'll see
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

"Heard you and your friends inquiring about this fellow," he remarks. "I know where he's going."

He swirls the brandy snifter Sindar brought him and smiles. "But I should probably introduce myself. The name's Aubric. And meeting you here was not an accident."

M
M
<Bern>

He remained silent, his thoughts competing with the discussions at the table.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

The half-elf unrolls the parchment and reads it thoroughly. He made sure his voice was low as he continued the conversation.

[OOC: See PM for conversation]

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

There's a short and quiet reply to something Sindar said, before the conversation resumes in a normal tone of voice, retrieving the parchment and rolling it up.

"Personally, I'd love to collect this reward, but I'm not exactly equipped to do it alone," he shrugs. "But I do have a solid lead on where he's going. Might I inquire what your group's interest in him is, and perhaps any interest in pursuing mutual goals?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"Is your interest purely monetary or?" He inquired.

"I am willing to introduce you and discuss the options. But I can't speak to exactly their choice. I suspect approval but I can't guarantee it "

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

"My interest?" Aubric chuckles. "Perhaps, but we both know music sounds better in harmony. There are more important goals than anyone's personal enrichment at stake here."

He swirls his brandy snifter and then sips from it. "I hope our mutual acquaintances are sufficient for you to recommend me to your friends. Perhaps we can further discuss how we can all work together. I do have some unique skills that may help a group more capable than myself, which your tales seem to allude to."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"Oh our mutual acquaintances definitely make me trust you and of course I am willing to put in a good word. I actually think my friends will be willing as well. Just trying to be a little cautious. This situation is turning out to be a much larger problem than originally envisioned."

He tells the elf about the mural and it's depiction. Though he leaves out the bit about the stones they have found.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

"Interesting," the elf replies.

"I'm still trying to sort out what's going on with the giants, myself," he continues. "Lots of scattered reports of giant sightings and skirmishes in the Evermoors, and they seem to be driving others -- orcs and ogres and trolls and the like -- onto the trade routes. The Lords Alliance used to keep that stretch mostly safe, but what with Everlund breaking away it's essentially up for grabs."

He taps his finger on the rolled up parchment previously revealed. "And this character is taking advantage. I don't think he cares much about the dragons and Thousand Year war, though. Just profit. Anyway, I figure taking him out of the picture will at least help others trying to protect Evermoor Way."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He nodded in agreement. "We should go meet my friends."

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

The elf nods and finishes off his brandy.

"Lead the way," he replies with a smile, scooting his chair back.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He takes his last swig to finish his ale. He stands and heads to where his friends are seated.

He offers by way of introduction "friends This is an associate Aubric who has an interest in stopping Weevil and helping protect where we are going. "

Last edited by Pandemonium; Sun 26/11/23 20:04 UTC.
M
M
<Bern>

The new arrival to the table brings his attention back to the present. He considered Sindar's 'introduction' for a moment, then smiles. He offered a hand. "Well met. Help is always welcome. I'm Bern."

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

"An associate. I see." Deadpanned the large Dragonborn noble. "I hight Kriv Norixius of Norixius Keep, it seems our interests coincide. I don't suppose you can prove you're not a doppelganger, on the offchance?"

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

The elf smiles in introduction, taking Bern's offered hand in a shake. "Well met."

Kriv's challenge brings him a chuckle. "I probably could," he replies. "Or, rather, you could prove it for yourselves without me even participating in the experiment. Do you always greet associates this way?"

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel rejoins the group inside and observes the introduction of Aubric and listens to the introductions. Then counted the group before him. Thinking to himself with this many party members they would be able to tackle both of the sides of the Weevil/Vhalak group. But they'd have to break down into two parties. He paused his musings with Kriv's introduction to the newcomer.

Assurances the newcomer wasn't the doppleganger? Pavel thought of the test that he performed with Bern and quickly discarded the notion. The individual was too new to try that. And anyway he didn't have a personal connection to the doppleganger like Bern. He also felt that a more invasive reading of Aubric's mind wouldn't find much information either and would only be construed as an attack. And warning the elf prior would only allow him to create a block or alter his thoughts.

"Checking the way I did with Bern wouldn't produce as conclusive results as the did with Bern. He doesn't have a personal connection to the creature like Bern does."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She greets the newcomer politely, not sure of this elf's views on Eladrin. "Well met. I am named Zhuirentel Elendaril."

AJ Offline
Kriv

"A consequence of an earlier discussion. Given Weevil's association with one, you can see the logic." Replied the Dragonborn.

Online Content
Zindra

"Hail and well met! I am Zindra Winterbow."

Aubric can see from her pointy ears that she's a half-elf and her garb is that of a hunter.

"The question my friend asked is not a joke. Our understanding is that this Weevil was seen in the company of someone we know to be a doppelganger. How do you know about this miscreant? Is this Weevil common knowledge?"

-Nep
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

The elf replies to Kriv with a smile, but a nod indicating that he appreciates the seriousness of the question. "I understand the need for caution. While I may not have a certificate declaring my doppelganger-free status, I can offer you my word and the reassurance that my only intent is to serve the greater good."

Turning to Zhu, Aubric nods respectfully, "Zhuirentel, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Eladrin hold a special place in the weave of life, and I am open to learning more about your kind."

Zindra's concern is then acknowledged. "I have learned of The Weevil from a trusted source that I met in this very inn within the last fortnight, and I share your concerns about his association with a doppelganger." He hands Zindra the same rolled up parchment that he showed Sindar earlier. "However, I believe a more private setting would be appropriate for discussing what I know in more detail."

With a subtle inclination of his head, Aubric proposes, "I suggest we retire to my quarters, where we can share information in a more discreet manner. I have a bottle of brandy that we can partake in while discussing our next course of action, whether together or independently supporting each other."

A drink with Sindar. A bottle in his room. And not just your everyday ale. It seems this elf has taste, or at least is trying to present that impression, although one might assume he may partake overmuch.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"I think that privacy is a good idea." Though some of the more paranoid might consider such a setting a possible trap, the half-elf is completely at ease. Not only does he feel that it is not a trap, he also trusts his companions would handle whatever situation presented itself as necessary.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Hi, I'm Jaliera. Pleased to meet you."

She greets the newcomer in a friendly way, prepared to accept initially.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He waves a half-filled mug in Aubric's direction, but does not immediately introduce himself since he is on his fourth drink and is getting a good buzz on. Instead he says, "It's gonna be cozy in Aubric's <hic> room if we all go... I'll <hic> just stay here and enjoy my <hic> beer."

Last edited by Dugan; Tue 05/12/23 07:21 UTC.
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel was torn between remaining following the rest of the group to this strange elf's room and remaining in the bar.

(OOC:Who are we tracking where? As in Who went with Aubric to his room and who is staying with Dav in the bar?)

He's curious of the information that is being offered but doesn't want to leave Davroar alone just in case the doppleganger decides to use the opportunity to get closer to the party.

Last edited by Miales; Tue 05/12/23 11:37 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She blows Davroar a kiss and heads to Aubric's room, curiosity is always a strong motivator for her and besides she should go listen if Davroar is not.

Once there, she declines the brandy as she doesn't drink, checks in with Whisper who is outside the inn on overwatch and moves straight to the map which she studies with interest.

M
M
<Bern>

He debates going verses staying. He =is= curious about what will be revealed, but he decided to stay, thinking it was possible that the 'imposter' might return and he wanted to be here if that happened!

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

Discreet meetings in upper rooms were more the noble's forte in any case. He ascended.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

The group going with Aubric needs no further reinforcement. Instead the triton remains at the bar with Davroar, nodding to his companions.

"I shall stay here and keep an eye on things while you're aloft."

Online Content
Zindra

"I'm staying and drinking. I'll have whatever Jaliera wasn't drinking."

ooc: Look in the OOC thread for clarity about who's going where and a bit of the logic as to why.

-Nep
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

While Sindar, Jaliera, and Kriv (and maybe Pavel?) head downstairs to hear out what Sindar's elven contact has to say, the bartender is happy to continue serving the rest of the party in the common room. The party outnumbers other patrons at this point, although one burly patron who doesn't seem to be drinking as much is seated against the wall in the southwest corner, probably hired to make sure no late-night revelry causes problems.

Jaliera's check-in with Whisper reveals much the same outside the inn, with no obvious threats, a few patrolling guards here and there.

It seems this place is as safe as can be if you're not causing problems. After all, an inn at a crossroads catering to travelers needs to make sure everyone can get a good night's sleep.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Seeing Bern and Zindra remained at their table, he says to both of them, "Sooo, we leaving first thing in'a <hic> morning?"

Davroar would like to take advantage of the merchants offer of her wares for healing the horse, and hopes they don't leave too early in that he will miss her in the market area.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel in the end decided to stay with Davroar, Bern and Zindra. Although he wanted to learn more about Weevil and the dwarf's plans it was secondary to going to the forest.

"If I am to travel with you, I for one hope you don't set out til later in the day. I still have business to conduct once the shops open." He said taking a drink of his ale. "Not to mention I need to resupply after my journey here."

Online Content
Zindra
"Sounds fair. Do you need company while you conduct your business or is super secret stuff?" she asked Pavel knowing that it was a pointed question.

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She will head with Aubric and Kriv to hear out what is said.

M
M
<Bern>

=His= 'plan' was to remain here to maintain his watch for his nemesis.

MikeD
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He nods to Pavel and adds, "Good. Need to get supplies too." He downs the last dregs of his drink, followed by a loud belch. Since it looks like there might be a chance for sleeping in until the market opens he taps his mug on the table for a refill.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric (with Sindar, Jaliera, Kriv, and Zhu)

OOC: Reposting since only Jaliera has responded to the post and it seems y'all missed it the first time.

While some choose to remain in the common room and drink (or keep company with those who do), some (specifically Sindar, Jaliera, Kriv, and Zhu) want to hear more of what Aubric has to say and follow him to his quarters.

The inn has an entire floor below the level of the common room, with both small and large rooms/suites available here, moreso than on the ground floor (with the stables and commmon room) or upper floor.

Aubric's room is more spacious than one might expect for a lone traveler -- apparently he's opted for more space -- but not overly large. There's a subtle fragrance of herbs, and the flickering light of a few well-placed candles. There's enough space for about five or six people to lean against walls or sit on pieces of furniture without feeling overcrowded.

A small table in the center of the room contains a map of the Sword Coast, marked with various locations and notes indicating Aubric's travels. A bottle of brandy, already uncorked, sits invitingly on the table along with a set of glasses. A small chest sits next to the bed nestled in a corner of the room, with a few trinkets atop it including a seashell necklace, a piece of driftwood, and a feather.

The elf tries to be as hospitable as he can for those who have joined him, offering pours of brandy to any who ask. And of course a double-pour for himself.

And once the niceties are concluded, he gets right down to business. "Olostin's Hold," Aubric says simply, reaching over to the chest for any random object, and settling for some tiny trinket that looks like a duck, placing it on the map. "That's where the Weevil is headed. Don't know much about his doppelganger friend, other than that I could probably beat them in a footrace."

Jaliera

She she declines the brandy as she doesn't drink, checks in with Whisper who is outside the inn on overwatch and moves straight to the map which she studies with interest.

Last edited by Neptune; Wed 13/12/23 22:39 UTC. Reason: I added a list of participants to the heading
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

OOC: Here's an Interactive Map of where we are. For reference, Olostin's Hold is just off Evermoor Way on the way between Calling Horns and Everlund. So for those in the party headed toward Everlund, this is good news.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

"You are welcome to join." Pavel said smiling slightly. "Nothing secretive. I guess you could call it market research. Just checking up on that rumor that the blacksmith can make enchanted weapons."

It was something he'd briefly mentioned before so he was comfortable with a companion. Especially with a doppleganger around.

"Anyway I shouldn't go alone just in case the doppleganger is around." He said to the group.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Why?" She say simply to the information about the Weevil's destination.

(OOC - Aqua - Can you add that map to the Gallery?)

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He declines the drink as well. For one it is brandy and stronger than he would like to imbibe at the moment, as he wants his wits about him, and two druging them that way would be far to easy. He isn't paranoid, the half-elf considers himself wise, even if he isn't.

Online Content
ooc: That map is simply a link to an external site so it's not for the gallery but I'll add a link to the "SKT: The Storm King's Thunder/SKT: References/Geography - Maps thread".

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

"Why what.... Olostin's hold?" Aubric answers, and shrugs. "I suspect he's closer to customers there than in Everlund where his supply likely is, but that's just a guess."

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

The elf quietly sips his brandy, waiting for any other questions.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"How did you find out where he was going? And can you tell us any more about the place.. or the route there?"

Her eyes are still on the map.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Any idea of who those customers might be? I mean any specifics. Surely he is not setting up a booth on a streetcorner and waiting for passers by."

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

"When one is in the sales business," the elf replies, "there are ample opportunities to overhear conversations. Recommendations from buyers, complaints from competing sellers, and most importantly, general interest in selling information for a price to someone seeking a reward." He unrolls enough of the wanted poster to remind those present that finding out where he is and informing the correct individual could be lucrative. "I've both directly heard, heard through trusted friends, and purchased enough information from enough varied individuals to assure myself of its validity, and should you distrust me, I encourage you to do the same."

He waves a hand generally upward in an arc, indicating the inn, or perhaps the whole town. "This place is somewhat of a neutral ground. The local law doesn't care if you're good or evil, so long as you maintain the peace inside the walls. This whole town was built on, and exists on, trade in goods and information."

Turning his attention back to the map, he points at Evermoor Way. "The road there is pretty much the same as the road you traveled from Yartar, and looks to be about the same distance from here, about four days' travel from here, and one very long day's travel from Everlund." His finger taps that city. "Which means it's remote enough that they'll know if you're coming. The difference is that you're going to be riding closer to the Evermoors -- another finger-tap -- which is where your question becomes important," he notes, attention turning toward Zhu.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

"You may be aware that trolls have been the primary denizens in the many bogs there, but it's also home to other large creatures," Aubric continues, pausing for dramatic effect. "And I specifically heard the words 'Big Fellas' come up in a conversation about Forkbeard's sales targets." Another pause, and an added, "Dumb, big fellas that could be tricked. And this stretch of road..." he draws a finger on the road in question between Calling Horns and Everlund "... has become one of the most dangerous places to travel in recent memory. Trolls and other creatures are increasingly leaving the Evermoors, attacking caravans, hiding in the forest..."

He sighs. "I wish I could tell you more, but second-hand information only goes so far, and I think I..." he look around with a raised brow "... or we, if you'll consider a tag-along, need to put eyes on and see for ourselves."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She looks at the map as Aubric speaks, the expression on her face changing into a frown as he continues. "Evermoor Way has traditionally been patrolled by the Spellguard, at least as far southwest as Calling Horns and to the Northeast as far as Sundabar. Silverymoon collaborates on protections with the nearby Dwarven Kingdoms of Mithril Hall and Felbarr as well to keep the trade routes clear. Are they absent of their duties?"

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

Aubric nods solemnly toward Zhu. "I suspect they are not absent, but simply have insufficient numbers to handle the increased threat," he suggests. "I have no personal knowledge of their communications, but one would suspect they've asked for reinforcements. However, I suspect Everlund's withdrawal from the Lord's alliance may complicate the speed at which that request can be fulfilled."

"For now," he continues, "it's mostly turned into a requirement for travelers to assure their own protection."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She notes the contents of the wanted poster and memorises details of the route and its dangers to pass on to the others. Interesting and important information.

"Thanks Aubric. We are just sorting out our next destination and who is going where. I expect some of us at least would be interested in joining with you."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

The half-elf smiles, nodding in agreement.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Aubric

"One other thing to note," the elf adds after sipping from his snifter. "The inn owner is Tamalin Zoar. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Zoar family. They are powerful in Everlund, and in fact the vote to break from the Lord's Alliance, that I mentioned, was a single tiebreaking vote. By High Captain Horix Zoar."

He pauses to let the significance of the relationship sink in, looking toward Zhu. "I would recommend some of you speak with her before departing, to see if there's any insight she can provide into that whole situation. My guess is political posturing or gaining some edge in some negotiation, but I'm an expert in the healing arts, not politics."

Online Content
Zindra (at the "bar" with Bern, Davroar, Pavel and Arus)

"Market research? Good answer. What blacksmith makes enchanted weapons?"

This sounded much like the magic device that Bern, Davroar, Jaliera, Sindar and Kriv had spoken about. They found found a magic forge in the Wave Echo caves near Phandelin that was guarded by floating ball with several eye stalks. It was brazier of green flame which was able to make weapons and armor magical for a period of time. That was the item, she recalled, that someone had tried to remove from the cave and apparently the fake Bern was behind that attempt.

"I can understand wanting safety from a doppleganger, if it is around." she added. "We need to catch up with that repair Bern's tarnished reputation. So where do you think it went?" she asked Pavel.

-Nep
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel glances over at Zindra raising a brow and taking a drink of ale. "Remember the little scamp with the coins? Cory? I talked to his mother and she mentioned that he overheard our doppleganger and Weevil were talking about the blacksmith in town could make enchanted weapons. Might as well see if it is true or not."

(OOC: High yes/ low no
Pavel Knowledge of mechanism in Phandalin
Miales rolled 1d100 and got 46

While Pavel was in Phandalin he knew of a mechanism in the mine, but wasn't aware of what it did. Just knew it was important.)

"As for the Anti-Bern, Rory's mother said he was headed to the forest to broker a deal there.while his buddy Weevil was headed to the settlement near the Evermoors. And I agree we need to find a way to repair your friend's reputation. The bartender was none too pleased to see Bern's visage again."

Online Content
ooc: Miales. Wrong system. In DnD5e you would need to roll an intelligence check. You roll 1d20+1 and need a to hit Difficulty Class of 20 (Hard).

Attached Images
DC.png (105.03 KB, 147 downloads)
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Originally Posted by Neptune
ooc: Miales. Wrong system. In DnD5e you would need to roll an intelligence check. You roll 1d20+1 and need a to hit Difficulty Class of 20 (Hard).

razz

Pavel Knowledge of Mechanism in Phandalin
Miales rolled 1d20 and got 19

So with the +1 that'd be a 20

Online Content
ooc: Excellent!
I am sending you a PM to augment the following:

Pavel has heard of the Forge of Spells. It was found by the heroes of Phandelin that include several that are here. There was an attempt to steal it from the Wave Echo Cave, apparently by Bern and some accomplices but Pavel now knows that it was the doppelganger that was the "Bern".

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Do we have a good description of the dwarf?)

Online Content
ooc: See the link in this post

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
OOC - Of course we don't know that he is not also a Doppelganger.......

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 24/12/23 17:22 UTC.
Online Content
OOC - of course. The doppelganger could be anyone.

-Nep
M
M
ooc - but we have gotten =LOTS= of 'intel' about his 'exploits' ... so there should be no confusion <g>

MikeD
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

Some of the tapers burn down to their base, and the few remaining patrons in the inn, save one, find their way to their rooms or homes. It seems the party of adventurers are the only ones left.

"Anything else I can get you fellahs?" the bartender asks, his expression indicating someone who'd like to call it a night, but not at the cost of a few tips if they're actually going to arrive.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Thanks for your information and advice Aubric. Guess we need to get our act together and make our decisions about what we are doing and what preparations we should make. I'll go and discuss with the others. Coming?" she says to her friends.

She smiles at the elf and makes her way back to the bar, surprised how quickly it has emptied but glad to see her friends still there. She sits down at their table, waving over anyone of relevance including Pavel.

"Aubric had some interesting things to say."

She keeps her voice down, checking noone is close enough to hear or showing too much interest, especially the barman.

"He showed us a large map with 'Olostin's Hold' marked on it. Says the Weevil is going there. That's where he is going but he is looking for support in this venture. There is a considerable price on the Weevil's head. The route skirts the Evermoors, trolls & other big creatures, and is remote so likely they will know we are coming. He also suggested we talk to High Captain Horix Zoar before setting out. Zhu can explain more."

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Seeing the look on the face of the barkeep, Pavel looks around the bar and sees that they are nearly the last patrons left. He reaches into his purse and pulls out several coins.

"We might be here a little longer. Can you set us up with a couple of rounds? We'll take care of the trash." He asks handing the money over to the man. "That way you can close up the rest of the bar." He pulled out another two gold. "For your trouble."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Listening to the rest chatter about magical weapons and the local blacksmith, when the bartender says it is last call he will shakily hold out his mug for just one more round for himself, and slurring his "Thank you" to both Pavel for paying and to the barkeep when his mug is refilled.

"Ah, one more drink. Cheers everyone... Lets' hoping we kill Vhalak before <hic> it reaches Shadowtop." Davroar's toast is somewhat unenthusiastic knowing that Vhalak has a good lead on them, and probably a good chance getting into Shadowtop Cathedral just by using Bern's looks. Zindra said that she knows the way to Shadowtop Cathedral, and Davroar wished he had visited there before. He knows of a spell to send an animal with a message to warn Turlang, but it will not work because of him not visiting Shadowtop Cathedral earlier. Now all he can do is hope that Vhalak will have a harder time than them in getting there, or get delayed by bad weather.

Online Content
Zindra
She tosses coin on the bar to pay for her drinks and to tip nicely and then raises her drink to Davroar's and clinks his mug with hers.

-Nep
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

The bartender looks amused -- and pleased -- as coin is pushed his way, accepting it gratefully. He turns and lifts the keg he's been pouring out of, moving it to the bar top and providing ample clean mugs should they be needed.

"Enjoy the night, and may your mugs never be empty!" he offers, before heading out, presumably homeward.

The common room is empty save for the party -- and a lone, burly townsperson with his back to the wall, looking mostly disinterested in what the party is doing. But he shortly rises, heading for the northeast corner of the room down a hallway. Within a few minutes, he's replaced by someone else coming back from that same hallway and resuming a similar bored posture at another table. Looks like a changing of the watch somewhere, and either room-watching duty -- or perhaps just rest -- for the person just relieved.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She will call out to gather those in the bar area and again repeat her news for any newcomers.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
DM

OOC: Hey folks! We've been in the tavern almost 3 months now. I know it's been the holidays and we're all busy. I'm trying to hint that everyone should go to bed, while at the same time people want to stay up and talk ... but then nobody's talking. grin

Let's try to wrap this up. Anyone who still needs to say something, let's do that. Anyone wanting to do any activities that require a short or long rest that may result in something a DM needs to provide, say so.

Other than that, I'm kinda waiting for everyone to go to bed before proceeding to the next day's events.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

"So he confirmed the waitress. You said he had a map? That was useful. Where are the rest that went with you?" Pavel asks Jaliera.

He glances at the other patron and whispers as he fills another mug of ale from the keg on the bar, "And what is with our babysitter?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - I am fine with moving on to morning.)

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Jaliera is offended at being ignored.. twice! grin ]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC Gypsy - What does the comment: "Zhu can explain more" mean?)

M
M
I'm OK with what ever is decided <g>

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
OOC: Morning works for me. Poofda and it is done! ]

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
OOC: In the interest of moving the plot along I'll start a new thread with the next events. Feel free to close out any pre-bedtime conversations here.

For those of you who have chosen to get drunk, your state of inebriation may have impact on the next events. I won't impose any penalties as a DM but will offer you the opportunity to ...uh... participate in what happens next at disadvantage. Use disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks if you like.

What checks might those be? Well, see the next thread.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Zeim - speaking to Captain Zoar.. related to innkeeper? Lors Alliance connection. ]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Wow! None of that is ringing a bell.)

Zeim #1074663 Mon 08/01/24 02:55 UTC
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Originally Posted by Zeim
(OOC - Wow! None of that is ringing a bell.)
This post

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Yes, but all of that was news to Zhu as much as anyone. OK.)

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Agreed but Jaliera doesn't really do 'politics'. Zhu is much cleverer wink

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
LaBerge
LaBerge
Christchurch, New Zealand
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,828
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy