Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mina), 90 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"How did you find out where he was going? And can you tell us any more about the place.. or the route there?"

Her eyes are still on the map.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Any idea of who those customers might be? I mean any specifics. Surely he is not setting up a booth on a streetcorner and waiting for passers by."

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
Aubric

"When one is in the sales business," the elf replies, "there are ample opportunities to overhear conversations. Recommendations from buyers, complaints from competing sellers, and most importantly, general interest in selling information for a price to someone seeking a reward." He unrolls enough of the wanted poster to remind those present that finding out where he is and informing the correct individual could be lucrative. "I've both directly heard, heard through trusted friends, and purchased enough information from enough varied individuals to assure myself of its validity, and should you distrust me, I encourage you to do the same."

He waves a hand generally upward in an arc, indicating the inn, or perhaps the whole town. "This place is somewhat of a neutral ground. The local law doesn't care if you're good or evil, so long as you maintain the peace inside the walls. This whole town was built on, and exists on, trade in goods and information."

Turning his attention back to the map, he points at Evermoor Way. "The road there is pretty much the same as the road you traveled from Yartar, and looks to be about the same distance from here, about four days' travel from here, and one very long day's travel from Everlund." His finger taps that city. "Which means it's remote enough that they'll know if you're coming. The difference is that you're going to be riding closer to the Evermoors -- another finger-tap -- which is where your question becomes important," he notes, attention turning toward Zhu.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

"You may be aware that trolls have been the primary denizens in the many bogs there, but it's also home to other large creatures," Aubric continues, pausing for dramatic effect. "And I specifically heard the words 'Big Fellas' come up in a conversation about Forkbeard's sales targets." Another pause, and an added, "Dumb, big fellas that could be tricked. And this stretch of road..." he draws a finger on the road in question between Calling Horns and Everlund "... has become one of the most dangerous places to travel in recent memory. Trolls and other creatures are increasingly leaving the Evermoors, attacking caravans, hiding in the forest..."

He sighs. "I wish I could tell you more, but second-hand information only goes so far, and I think I..." he look around with a raised brow "... or we, if you'll consider a tag-along, need to put eyes on and see for ourselves."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She looks at the map as Aubric speaks, the expression on her face changing into a frown as he continues. "Evermoor Way has traditionally been patrolled by the Spellguard, at least as far southwest as Calling Horns and to the Northeast as far as Sundabar. Silverymoon collaborates on protections with the nearby Dwarven Kingdoms of Mithril Hall and Felbarr as well to keep the trade routes clear. Are they absent of their duties?"

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
Aubric

Aubric nods solemnly toward Zhu. "I suspect they are not absent, but simply have insufficient numbers to handle the increased threat," he suggests. "I have no personal knowledge of their communications, but one would suspect they've asked for reinforcements. However, I suspect Everlund's withdrawal from the Lord's alliance may complicate the speed at which that request can be fulfilled."

"For now," he continues, "it's mostly turned into a requirement for travelers to assure their own protection."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She notes the contents of the wanted poster and memorises details of the route and its dangers to pass on to the others. Interesting and important information.

"Thanks Aubric. We are just sorting out our next destination and who is going where. I expect some of us at least would be interested in joining with you."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

The half-elf smiles, nodding in agreement.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
Aubric

"One other thing to note," the elf adds after sipping from his snifter. "The inn owner is Tamalin Zoar. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Zoar family. They are powerful in Everlund, and in fact the vote to break from the Lord's Alliance, that I mentioned, was a single tiebreaking vote. By High Captain Horix Zoar."

He pauses to let the significance of the relationship sink in, looking toward Zhu. "I would recommend some of you speak with her before departing, to see if there's any insight she can provide into that whole situation. My guess is political posturing or gaining some edge in some negotiation, but I'm an expert in the healing arts, not politics."

Zindra (at the "bar" with Bern, Davroar, Pavel and Arus)

"Market research? Good answer. What blacksmith makes enchanted weapons?"

This sounded much like the magic device that Bern, Davroar, Jaliera, Sindar and Kriv had spoken about. They found found a magic forge in the Wave Echo caves near Phandelin that was guarded by floating ball with several eye stalks. It was brazier of green flame which was able to make weapons and armor magical for a period of time. That was the item, she recalled, that someone had tried to remove from the cave and apparently the fake Bern was behind that attempt.

"I can understand wanting safety from a doppleganger, if it is around." she added. "We need to catch up with that repair Bern's tarnished reputation. So where do you think it went?" she asked Pavel.

-Nep
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel glances over at Zindra raising a brow and taking a drink of ale. "Remember the little scamp with the coins? Cory? I talked to his mother and she mentioned that he overheard our doppleganger and Weevil were talking about the blacksmith in town could make enchanted weapons. Might as well see if it is true or not."

(OOC: High yes/ low no
Pavel Knowledge of mechanism in Phandalin
Miales rolled 1d100 and got 46

While Pavel was in Phandalin he knew of a mechanism in the mine, but wasn't aware of what it did. Just knew it was important.)

"As for the Anti-Bern, Rory's mother said he was headed to the forest to broker a deal there.while his buddy Weevil was headed to the settlement near the Evermoors. And I agree we need to find a way to repair your friend's reputation. The bartender was none too pleased to see Bern's visage again."

ooc: Miales. Wrong system. In DnD5e you would need to roll an intelligence check. You roll 1d20+1 and need a to hit Difficulty Class of 20 (Hard).

Attached Images
DC.png (105.03 KB, 147 downloads)
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Originally Posted by Neptune
ooc: Miales. Wrong system. In DnD5e you would need to roll an intelligence check. You roll 1d20+1 and need a to hit Difficulty Class of 20 (Hard).

razz

Pavel Knowledge of Mechanism in Phandalin
Miales rolled 1d20 and got 19

So with the +1 that'd be a 20

ooc: Excellent!
I am sending you a PM to augment the following:

Pavel has heard of the Forge of Spells. It was found by the heroes of Phandelin that include several that are here. There was an attempt to steal it from the Wave Echo Cave, apparently by Bern and some accomplices but Pavel now knows that it was the doppelganger that was the "Bern".

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Do we have a good description of the dwarf?)

ooc: See the link in this post

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
OOC - Of course we don't know that he is not also a Doppelganger.......

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 24/12/23 17:22 UTC.
OOC - of course. The doppelganger could be anyone.

-Nep
M
M
ooc - but we have gotten =LOTS= of 'intel' about his 'exploits' ... so there should be no confusion <g>

MikeD
Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

Some of the tapers burn down to their base, and the few remaining patrons in the inn, save one, find their way to their rooms or homes. It seems the party of adventurers are the only ones left.

"Anything else I can get you fellahs?" the bartender asks, his expression indicating someone who'd like to call it a night, but not at the cost of a few tips if they're actually going to arrive.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Thanks for your information and advice Aubric. Guess we need to get our act together and make our decisions about what we are doing and what preparations we should make. I'll go and discuss with the others. Coming?" she says to her friends.

She smiles at the elf and makes her way back to the bar, surprised how quickly it has emptied but glad to see her friends still there. She sits down at their table, waving over anyone of relevance including Pavel.

"Aubric had some interesting things to say."

She keeps her voice down, checking noone is close enough to hear or showing too much interest, especially the barman.

"He showed us a large map with 'Olostin's Hold' marked on it. Says the Weevil is going there. That's where he is going but he is looking for support in this venture. There is a considerable price on the Weevil's head. The route skirts the Evermoors, trolls & other big creatures, and is remote so likely they will know we are coming. He also suggested we talk to High Captain Horix Zoar before setting out. Zhu can explain more."

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Seeing the look on the face of the barkeep, Pavel looks around the bar and sees that they are nearly the last patrons left. He reaches into his purse and pulls out several coins.

"We might be here a little longer. Can you set us up with a couple of rounds? We'll take care of the trash." He asks handing the money over to the man. "That way you can close up the rest of the bar." He pulled out another two gold. "For your trouble."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Listening to the rest chatter about magical weapons and the local blacksmith, when the bartender says it is last call he will shakily hold out his mug for just one more round for himself, and slurring his "Thank you" to both Pavel for paying and to the barkeep when his mug is refilled.

"Ah, one more drink. Cheers everyone... Lets' hoping we kill Vhalak before <hic> it reaches Shadowtop." Davroar's toast is somewhat unenthusiastic knowing that Vhalak has a good lead on them, and probably a good chance getting into Shadowtop Cathedral just by using Bern's looks. Zindra said that she knows the way to Shadowtop Cathedral, and Davroar wished he had visited there before. He knows of a spell to send an animal with a message to warn Turlang, but it will not work because of him not visiting Shadowtop Cathedral earlier. Now all he can do is hope that Vhalak will have a harder time than them in getting there, or get delayed by bad weather.

Zindra
She tosses coin on the bar to pay for her drinks and to tip nicely and then raises her drink to Davroar's and clinks his mug with hers.

-Nep
Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The bartender looks amused -- and pleased -- as coin is pushed his way, accepting it gratefully. He turns and lifts the keg he's been pouring out of, moving it to the bar top and providing ample clean mugs should they be needed.

"Enjoy the night, and may your mugs never be empty!" he offers, before heading out, presumably homeward.

The common room is empty save for the party -- and a lone, burly townsperson with his back to the wall, looking mostly disinterested in what the party is doing. But he shortly rises, heading for the northeast corner of the room down a hallway. Within a few minutes, he's replaced by someone else coming back from that same hallway and resuming a similar bored posture at another table. Looks like a changing of the watch somewhere, and either room-watching duty -- or perhaps just rest -- for the person just relieved.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She will call out to gather those in the bar area and again repeat her news for any newcomers.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,834
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy