Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn chipped in. "From what we've learned, Doppelgangers can read surface thoughts, but they can't mimic the Art. A word wouldn't help, casting a simple but unreplicable bit of the art would."

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

As the evening sun dips below the horizon, the tavern undergoes a gradual transformation. The fading light outside prompts the barmaids to embark on their nightly ritual of lighting oil lamps, casting a warm and welcoming glow across the room.

Amidst this change in ambience, the two children from the stables, Finn and Lily, step into the tavern from the hallway that leads to the stables. Finn moves over to stand near the door, his posture suggesting a hint of impatience, his arms crossed expectantly. Meanwhile, Lily, with a spark of excitement in her eyes, approaches the party's table. Her voice carries a touch of enthusiasm as she addresses Davroar, "You have permission to try to heal the limp horse!"

With the message delivered, she heads over to a barmaid, who the party can now see bears a striking resemblance to her, seemingly both her and Rory's mother. The silver coin, a gift from Bern, glistens as Lily presents it, pointing at him as if explaining the source of the generous offering. Nearby, Rory leaves his lurking spot at another table to exhibit his own silver, prompting a somewhat skeptical look from the barmaid. Still, as no one seems to be in pursuit of the young trickster, she accepts the version of events he's presenting. After Lily gestures toward Finn and the door, a nod of approval is granted, and the trio of children heads out into the evening, likely to spend their pair of coins on evening offerings at the market.

Just before the door swings closed, the aproned man who previously had arms stained with blood returns, his face adorned with a mischievous grin. He meets the redhead barmaid at a table, where a flagon of ale awaits, hinting at a familiar routine that plays out here.

Less than a minute later, the pair of guards that the party encountered upon entering the town strolls in, evidently relieved from their watch duties.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

Seeing the two guards he offers them a tipped hand and a smile. To the table, he says "I have promised to entertain this evening with a song and a tale. I think I will investigate when a good time would be to perform."

Unless anyone at the table suggests otherwise he moves over to the innkeeper and presents himself.

"I am Sindar a bard of some skill. I have promised the two town guards who met us at the gate a tale and a song. Since it is your establishment, I thought I would ask when might be the best time and location for such entertainment?"

Administrator
Online Content
Administrator
Davroar

He looks up as the girl approaches and says, "Someone want to just watch my back while I heal the horse just in case this doggleganger is hanging around here?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Always happy to watch your back Davroar."

She winks at him.

"And Kriv, I would like to more of your idea."

M
M
<Bern>

"I think that I would be a good choice for that Dav", he said with a grin.

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn rose to his full height, and nodded to Jaliera and Davroar.

"Might as well cover both needs for our common good, the more eyes the better. As for my idea, it hinges on each of us demonstrating something we can do that can't be replicated by a doppelganger."

With a moment's thought, the Glassstaff was held casually in Kriv's grip, and he leaned it securely against the table, releasing his hold.

"Easier for those of us with some measure of the Art, but that's most of us, and we should be able to think of something for each of us."

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

With a friendly smile, the innkeeper addresses Sindar, "Ah, but you see, my friend, this establishment does not belong to me. It's in the capable hands of Tamalin Zoar. I suspect, considering your request, you'd like to have a word with her..."

He pauses, and then adds, "However, regarding your proposal, I'd recommend waiting until the market's close, which is in less than an hour. At that point, you'll discover this room brimming with patrons, all eager for some lively entertainment."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"So you are talking of magic? Are we sure the Dopleganger can't do that? I though he inherited skills and memories of whoever he took over at the time. And if he takes over anyone else, would Bern's legacy remain with him?"

She is seriously trying to get her head around this.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Sat listening to them and saw the group was talking about a subject that he the newcomer might not want known to outsiders and eavesdroppers.

"Look, I just met the lot of you. I knew of you in passing at Phandalin for the most part. My main reason for being here is because I work for Halia and someone, namely Weevil, and his cronies which includes Bern's doppleganger. Before I go and you lot figure out how to make sure that none of you are dopplegangers I'll let you know why I am mostly certain of Bern being Bern. I have a little talent in magic and I sifted his brain when we were talking. His surface reactions to this probe were consistent with his outward reactions and lead me to believe Bern is still Bern. Now I don't know much about dopplegangers. Like if they possess the abilities of the people the copy. Maybe what you should be asking is who in town would most likely know and be able to help you figure out a way to make sure that any of you are victims."

"Me I'm goign to get on with my business and shakedown the innkeeper for more information on Weevil because for me he is possibly the key to make my boss happy."

Last edited by Miales; Mon 16/10/23 16:25 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He nods and moves off to the bar to see if he can locate the proprietor for his request.

M
M
<Bern>

He remained silent and thoughtful, considering what might have the best chance of success. Unfortunately he couldn't think of anything that seemed like it might have a chance of helping.

MikeD
Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The bartender informs Sindar where Tamalin Zoar can be found in one of the curtained-off sections at the southern end of the room.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He moved in that direction. In his experience, curtains like that are usually meant for privacy. Yet he had to make introductions so that he could do what he said he would do.

Administrator
Online Content
Administrator
Davroar

He stops for the moment to listens to Pavel and considers his words. While Davroar is not overly religious, a cleric can usually see into a persons soul so he says, "Let's find a cleric to divine that all of us are who we claim to be. Not sure how much gold he'd want, but it would ease all of our minds. Then right after that we can secretly come up with a way to check each of us in the future, whether it be a code word or ability."

Davroar knows of tribes that carve their family histories into wooden totems. Perhaps a simple act of each of them carving their own symbol upon a piece of wood might be a way to confirm their true identities in the future. For now Davroar will keep this idea to himself and will suggest it later. Carving, at least to him, is usually more than just a single thought, but is a process of emotions. If a doppleganger is capable of such duplication then Davroar feels they will need something magical to truly be safe from it. 

Standing up he looks to Jaliera, Bern and Kriv, and says, "If all of you wish to come to watch me heal a horse then you are welcome. Who's going to keep our table?"

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

At the south end of the room, a hallway is visible between two walls, with curtains hanging over what appear to be windowed openings on either side. There are doorways on either side of the hallway, leading inside these areas, one of which is noisy with the sounds of celebration and/or gambling and/or both. Another curtained doorway is at the end of the hallway but it is quiet beyond.

Such privacy is guarded by more than curtains, of course. A burly well-armed gentleman seems to be in the way of further progress, although his crossed arms seem more of a threat than his short sword and daggers.

"Rooms past here are private," he informs Sindar with a polite smile.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"I was directed here to find the proprietor. I am a bard of some skill and wish to entertain the good folks who will be here this evening. I offered a song or two to the guards that let my friends and I in through the gate as a way of passage. I intend to keep that promise.

"I understand that the bulk of the people will begin to arrive over the next hour or two, and I wanted to see what was thought of my offer."

If he was bothered by the large muscular arms, Sindar didn't show it. He kept a smile on his face. He also knew how to handle himself and wasn't concerned.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel approaches the bar and orders another drink. When the bartender returns he places his payment on the table along with a silver coin that he places his finger on.

"So what do you know about a dwarf called Weevil? Any idea where I might find him?"

Zindra
"After Pavel walks away she turns to the others, specifically replying to Jaliera, but unconcerned if anyone, including Bern listens in. "I'm with that Pavel guy there. This is Bern. That doppelganger hasn't been near Bern for a long time now. Truth is, it could be any of you. It's just choosing Bern for some reason. Maybe it thinks Bern is pretty."

She smirks as she looks Bern up and down. "Wouldn't be a bad choice if it wanted to look pretty."

No longer smiling she adds, "I don't think a cleric, specifically can help us. They know about demons and devils and those creepy dead-not-dead things. We would need someone that knows about monsters. That could be a wizard or a sage of some sort. It's probably a good idea to do something to all of us, like a tattoo somewhere that we cover up, to make sure that we're all who we think we are. If the doppelganger didn't see something on Bern, it wouldn't know to emulate it. And if it read it's mind two months ago, it wouldn't know what he knows now. It seems simple to me. We come up with some catch phrase with a secret response. It could be something like, 'Can you give me two gold pieces?' to which Bern would respond, 'I gave you three yesterday'. Look. It's not perfect, but I'm getting tired of having to dish out gold to repair Bern's reputation!"

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv

“It can read minds, and that would include code phrases. That would include the expected responses we’re waiting to hear. Hence, we need capability based solutions, not information based solutions. Things it cannot emulate, not things it can dig out of minds.” Clarified the wizard or sage of some sort.

M
M
<Bern>

"The matching tatts idea seems like the best idea", he said.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She shakes her head. "I believe it would be able to copy those as well. If it could only copy the parts of a body that it could see, then it would be as simple as examining body hair or any other hidden body part that is under clothing."

Administrator
Online Content
Administrator
Davroar

Listening to every ones opinion, Davroar considers Zindra's suggestion since none of them know what a doppelganger can do exactly. "Guess Zindra's right, we need to find someone that knows for sure what it is capable of, and then we find a way to trick it. Maybe that witch outside the walls can help?"

Last edited by Dugan; Thu 19/10/23 05:26 UTC.
Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The burly guard in the south hallway smiles at Sindar. "We love entertainment, and the proprietor might care more depending on whether you'll be telling true tales or fanciful ones," he offers. "I'm guessing since you mentioned my friends at the gate that it's the former? If so, I expect she'll want to talk about more than entertainment with you and your party." He uncrosses his arms enough to vaguely gesture in the direction of the party, clearly aware of the group.

The bartender chuckles at Pavel and his offered silver. "Your companion paid me a gold for information on Weevil," he says, his head tilting in the direction of Zindra. "Along with some guy who looks like your other companion." He gestures with a rag-holding hand toward Bern. "As far as where they've gone, I don't have much information on that," he replies, leaving the silver untouched. "Barmaids are more likely to have overheard any table talk about their plans."

He certainly doesn't look evasive, mostly giving off an apathetic vibe about the comings and goings of the ale-drinkers.

"Or ask some of Tamalin's deputies. They probably know a lot more, and they'll be clear about their prices too."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Shame my mentor isn't closer, he's a sage. We could've asked him. But the witch isn't a bad idea Davroar."

She smiles at him.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Tusk
Tusk
Warboys, Huntingdon
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,834
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy