Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mina), 90 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She smiles at the boy and reaches out to push the coin back towards him.

"Keep it, put it towards your dreams whatever they are."

She grins.

"And giants have the advantage of being sooo big that you can see them at a distance safely, so no-one gets hurt."

She is thinking about her path to this moment in time. It is strange to be considered a hero. She doesn't feel like one.. or what she imagines one might feel like. And it is surprising that they seem to have acquired a budding reputation. That has an upside.. and a downside. Either way it is something they have to deal with.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Watches the boy out of the corner of his eye but is more intent on observing the group. Chuckling at the kid and his 'magic' tricks.

"Did you guys figure out why they attacked Triboar? Because I heard on my way up here that it wasn't the only attack. Two other towns were attacked by giants as well. One of the places inn an area called Ten towns up near the spine and Goldencrest... Goldenfields something like that." Pavel asks after Jaliera hands over the coin to the boy.

Pavel looks around at the table to see if there is any reaction to this news. He knew they'd been on the road and wasn't certain they realized the scope of the giant problem.

M
M
<Bern>

He watched the youngster 'perform' ... sort of. He =could= be just what he appeared to be, but he could also been sent as a distraction. So he was still keeping an eye on the comings and goings.

MikeD
Zindra
"Hey there. I'm Zindra and this is Bern," she says to Pavel, who she doesn't know. Her face is flushed with anger. "There were other giant attacks? Please tell us more about what you've heard. What kind of giants? I have friends in Goldenfelds. It is a peaceful place."

-Nep
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

"Nice to meet you." Pavel said taking a small drink from his mug. "So Goldenfields. Heard about those attacks in Triboar. Supposedly one town was attacked by frost giants and the other by hill giants. I think the hill giants attacked Goldenfields. Would make more sense."

"Supposedly both those attacks were similar to Triboar because the giants were looking for something.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

Rory nods with a wide grin as Jaliera allows him to keep the coin, slipping it quietly into his pocket, but remaining at the table, leaning forward on his elbows in a space between seats, listening to all the news.

About this time, a burly human enters the door to the common room. His arms are covered in blood.

"Theo!" shouts one of the barmaids, Rory's mother. "'Ow many times we gotta tell ya, wash up first!"

Theo wipes his bloody arms on his apron. "I did!" he claims with a silly grin, but a stern glare and hand gesture indicating "turn around and go" from the barmaid send him back outside.

M
M
<Bern>

His focus goes from scanning to focused when the man comes in looking 'the worse for the ware'.

Apparently this place didn't appreciate patrons who had a bad day, he thought.

When he was 'chased' out by the waitress, he was a bit surprised. But it wasn't the first time he has seen a man 'dominated' by a woman. Still ... he remained 'on alert'. Something had caused his wounds.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She winks at the boy and then remembers her manners, turning to Zindra and Bern.

"This is Pavel, Zindra, Bern" she points them out. "We met briefly in Phandalin."

She looks up as the man with the bloody arms enters before being sent outside. From the reaction she guesses he must be a butcher or hunter of some sort.

Zindra

"Hail and well met Pavel," she adds as she lifts her mug of ale and takes a decent gulp.

In a moment when the conversation stalls after she's downed her brew, almost as an aside, she asks, "Hey, does the name Weevil or Forkbeard mean anything to you? It might be the name of a dwarf."

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"I heard he has been working with the doppleganger.. but there is a more serious issue here."

She looks at Bern and then around at the others, lowering her voice but clearly comfortable to include Pavel.

"I have heard that he is planning to take Bern's place. Not sure what that means for Bern but we need to watch and protect our friend."

She feels this is best out in the open so eveyone is aware, ideally before it happens, so the earlier the better.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

OOC: DM please see PM

This was something Pavel knew. He remembered and recently discussed. The name Weevil does spark a memory.. I heard of the dwarf. He keeps low company with a doppleganger. Trying to remember that name it began with a V. Vhalan... Valal.. Valkan. Wait that is the strange guy in Triboar. Ah that name will come to me in a bit. You think this doppleganger is the one that was seen at this bar. The one impersonating Bern over there??"

Last edited by Miales; Tue 10/10/23 11:49 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She's been listening, having smiled at the human child's attempt at sleight of hand. At the current conversation, a memory returns to her and she turns to Bern. "That is a good point. We need to have a way to know whether it is truly you or the fake. As I recall, a Doppelganger can only access those memories you had when it took your likeness on so we should setup a code word", she glances around, "privately, that we can ask you to verify your identity if it is ever in question."

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 10/10/23 13:34 UTC.
M
M
<Bern>

He stopped scanning for a moment as he considered Zhu's 'idea'. "It makes sense", he said. "But one ... 'adjustment' ... to the plan. Since he has my memories, it might be a better idea if someone =else= picks the word", he suggested.

MikeD
Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The human child Zhu observed remains at the table, leaning on his elbows and listening to the heroes converse about a dot pelgang or something. Whatever that is he doesn't know but code words are fun!

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

While Zhu was mentioning the code word and Bern responded, the name came to him. He blurts out, "Vhalak. That was his name.. well the doppelganger's name. Vhalak. Anyone here ever hear of him or it?"

Last edited by Miales; Wed 11/10/23 00:16 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Nope.. but good to know. Perhaps we should think about the code word for a few minutes?"

He eyes drift pointedly to Rory.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Yes, not for further discussion here. Once we're alone. We should all have one too."

M
M
<Bern>

He nodded his agreement to Zhu's suggestion. "Agreed", he said.

MikeD
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Noticing that the group was talking and lost in their thoughts, he decided to intercede. And hoped he wouldn't get killed.

"I suggest you come up with a code word soon while Bern is still Bern. Also take other precautions such as not leaving the man alone. Ever. Especially going forward."

"I have a strong belief that the switch has not happened yet. Bern's unconcious reactions to this discussion point strongly towards that. Going forward you need to give Vhalak the doppelganger little opportunity to make the switch."

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

Rory hears the group get quiet noting his presence. "Okay, okay, I'll leave," he says, getting the hint. "But you're not the only table I've listened to and I know stuff."

With that tease, he heads away to find another table to spy on.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Plenty more silver pieces for good information Rory."

She quickly adds as he turns to leave, and he knows she is good for that.

"Would the same one work for all of us? And good idea Pavel, I was thinking the same thing."

It might be quite a task remembering lots.

"And Pavel, what are your forward plans?"

Might as well find out if he could be a good addition though probably he has his own agenda.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel had largely ignored the boy. His mind concentrating on other things and other thoughts. But he watched the kid leave. When Rory was gone. "I think one word that your group agrees upon would suffice. Something all of you could easily remember and be able to slip into a sentence."

Sitting back he relaxed some and took another drink.

"Going forward? Well Halia wanted me to learn more about the people undercutting the profits from the mine and selling weapons not to mention the whole thing with the giants. Not a good deal especially with the mine just being reopened and all. Plus she was concerned for all of you with the VHalak running around. She wanted me to get that information to you if I could. Saw an opportunity when I stopped in Yartar a few days ago to possibly catch the lot of you here in Calling Horns and get that information to you. Calling Horns being the last area that Weevil and Vhalak were seen and all. Still trying to figure out how I got ahead of you. Guess traveling by boat is faster."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Good advice, Pavel. Although there is nothing stopping Vhalak from simply taking on a different form, of any of us. It is not as if he is locked into Bern's appearance."

M
M
<Bern>

He listened. There was a lot to think on. But Zhu's comment got him thinking. "Unless the whole point is to somehow cause =me= ... or 'us' ... problems for some reason."

MikeD
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

There's a time for talking and a time for listening, and entering a strange inn in a strange settlement... in a strange part of the world... that's a time for listening.

So Arus listens the diffuse hubbub, showing affable indifference mostly but sometimes very keen interest.

Raising an eyebrow, he says to Bern, "I doubt thy doppelganger can conjure a goodberry, my friend. So if suspicion arises that might be our foolproof."

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,834
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy