Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dugan, Angrboða), 103 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is smiling and listening to the conversation but also watching the others at the bar.

"Got a menu card too."

She pushes it in Davroar's direction.

M
M
<Bern>

He give Zindra a thankful nod of appreciation. He probably would not have been able to resolve the situation so peacefully.

MikeD
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

Pavel looked over at the bar where the bartender seemed to be angry at one of the travelers. Frowning for a second before answering the question

"Luminmorn... one of the heroes and your friend at the manor? I worked with him a few times when we were clearing out the mines. He was still there when I left. I think I was on the next caravan out of Phandalin to Triboar so last I saw of him he was fine which was only a few days after all of you left the town. He was still widely popular and well respected the last I saw of him."

"Speaking of following you, I can say the smoke was still rising from the ashes following that giant attack at Triboar when I got there. That looked like some nasty work. Glad all of you made it alright."

As they are talking Pavel's eyes flit between Davroar and the man that Davroar had indicated was Bern. Following the near altercation Pavel looked over at the two, "He normally get that reaction from people you meet?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She nods thanks for the information about the rooms. "I expect we'll need 2..., no, make that three rooms", she says, with a quick glance at Davroar and Jaliera. "I am fine with the current company, but I'll ask my companions if they desire any."

Moving back to where the others are gathered she relays the information. Upon hearing some of the banter about the Doppleganger she tries to think back to their earlier stops where he put in an appearance to try to determine if they are gaining or losing any ground on catching up to him.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The innkeeper makes some notations in his guest book, assigning three comfortable rooms and quoting a fair price. "How long will you all be staying?" he inquires, as he opens a drawer to find the keys for the assigned rooms.

The bartender serves a pair of beers to Bern and Zindra, not asking for any additional payment; apparently the gold piece sufficed for both forgiveness and as paymente for the round.

The red-headed barmaid returns to the table with a smile, looking around to those gathered. "Drinks? Food? Entertainment?"

And a young boy about ten or eleven years old trots over to the table from some table nearby. It's not obvious who he's with, but with the handful of children milling about the place it doesn't seem his visit to the new table is of concern to anyone. "You're the heroes of Phandelver?" he asks, wide-eyed, looking around the group. "And I heard you made giants run away in Triboar! Which one of you made the thunder thing happen and disappeared? That magic sounds sooooooo aweseome!"

M
M
<Bern>

He gives the bartender an appreciative nod then raises his glass in salute towards Zindra.

MikeD
Zindra

She clanks her goblet against Bern's. Some drops of foam fell to the floor before she took a big gulp. "Ahhhh! Great after a long day on the road!"

Then she turns back to the barkeep.

"Thanks!" she says with a big smile aas she raises her flagon a second time. This time towards the bartender. "Hey. I know my story is weak. I mean why impersonate this guy here?" She turns and sniffs Bern and then shakes her head in mock disgust. "Did that guy that was here a tenday ago smell like Bern too? Look. I'm interested in what that guy was doing. And what about that dwarf? Did he have a name? Do you know where either of them were going after here?"

Last edited by Neptune; Wed 04/10/23 21:40 UTC.

-Nep
Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

"Weevil," the bartender replies, reaching for a rag to wipe up the bar in front of Zindra. "Forkbeard," he adds. "Sometimes people show up here with wanted posters for 'him, but he's got more friends here than enemies, I guess."

Taking a step back, he adds, "as for the rest, can't say I know. But if you're lookin' for information in this town, there's no better source than the market's seamstress. Aye, that's right, old Miss Abigail. She's got a tongue sharper than any dagger, and she knows every thread of gossip that passes through these parts."

He leans against the bar. "But mind you, she's a bit... eccentric, let's say. Finds joy in patching up folks and unraveling their stories all in one go. She's usually set up near the fruit stand. Can't miss it. Probably closed for the day but you'll catch her tomorrow no doubt."

Administrator
Online Content
Administrator
Davroar

He shakes his head and replies to Pavel, "No. Bern has a doppleganger that's giving him, and us, troubles."

Davroar smiles his thanks to Jaliera for handing him a menu as he mumbles, "Mmm, food...", as he looks at the menu trying to decide what to order while his empty stomach grumbles even more at him. When the barmaid arrives he will ask for the vegetable stew and a mead.

The attack on Triboar was chaotic and Davroar will ignore the young boy's question as he does not know who had casted the loud spell. It was probably Zhu or Sindar, but he will let either of them to answer.

With his food and drink order done with, he casually taps his fingers over Jaliera's back of her hand to grab her attention and says, "About your horse's name. The bandit that last rode her, called her a name I shouldn't say in front of children. I then asked what name she would like, and the mare describe to me her earliest memory of growing up in a wide field of tall grass and sunflowers with four siblings that she would run around with amongst her herd. I suspect she wants a name that will bring back memories of happier times."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Thanks."

She smiles at Davroar.

"Think she would like the name 'Meadow'? And I'll have the stew too! With a hunk of bread too I think. Hungry.. Are you eating with us Pavel? Good to hear Luminmorn is doing well."

Then she is distracted by the child. She turns to him smiling. "Who are you with lad?"

AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn noble spent a while listening to the goings-on around, before beckoning for a beverage and taking a seat. It seemed Zindra had the hunt for the doppelganger well in hand, so he turned his attention to a child with the bravery and inquisitiveness to approach a group of hardened adventurers. Traits that could take one far, or all too short a way. Jaliera's question was astute, so he awaited its resolution before addressing the boy. There was always the possibility that the Doppelganger was brazenly seeking intelligence on the group, but the information requested was innocent enough.

"You've an interest in the Art, boy?" Kriv punctuated the question with a cantrip of flame safely dancing over the claws of one hand. "I believe the effect you describe falls under my colleague's purview," He gestured towards Zhu, "But there were at least three of us slinging various kinds of magic around, myself included. I was somewhat preoccupied at the time so can't be completely certain to whom you refer."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She smiles softly at the boy and his enthusiasm and nods as Kriv indicates the effects the boy mentioned were probably her doing and that several of them used magic during that fight.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The boy's eyes widen and he nods enthusiastically. "Wow! That's awesome! I can do magic too, you know?" he brags. "Anyone got a copper, I'll show you!"

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Pavel

He remains with the group as the party slowly gathers at table. Observing them and their interactions.

At the boy's approach he quietly observes the party as they address the child.

After a bit he addresses the party. "When I left Phandalin they were still talking about the doppleganger. I take it you keep running into it along your travels?"

M
M
<Bern>

He sat quietly, trying to maintain a 'low profile' in case there were others that his nemesis had offended.

MikeD
Zindra

She could see that the conversation was bothering Bern and he had good reason to be upset, but this was a solid lead. Zindra doesn't recognize the name of that dwarf but she wasn't surprised to hear that the doppelganger was dealing with people that had their face on wanted posters.

"Thank you for the information, and the notes of cautions," she said, flicking another gold coin at the barkeep. "For the information". She leans in to quietly add, "and if you come across any information about those two that you might learn while we're in town, I'll be generous again."

With that she put a reassuring hand on Bern's back and said, "Let's join our friends at their table and share what we've learned, eh?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He did his best to ignore the 'conversation'. It seemed more productive than getting 'into it' with the bartender.

He accepted Zindra's 'suggestion' of joining the others with a nod and a smile. "And another drink or two". he said with a wink.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Her soft smile remains guessing where this is going and taking out a copper coin, she hands it over to the boy. "What is your name, boy?" She asks.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

"Rory," the boy replies to Zhu, taking the copper carefully and holding it up in front of him. At the sight of an audience for his planned 'show' he's pretty much tuned out the rest of the party and their talk of a double gainer or whatever that word is he doesn't know. Nope. He's going to show off a skill he's learned by hanging around tables in this inn long enough to get expert training from all walks of society.

"Now you see it..." he narrates, waving his hands around each other and the copper coin.

Rory Dex (Sleight of Hand)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+0 and got 7

"And now you don't!"

The coin is gone, although just about anyone paying attention would see the intended subterfuge, which would have worked for someone with more skill or practice.

But with a grin, Rory doesn't seem to care whether the trick worked or not, as he turns tail and sprints away from the table into the nearest crowd of moving patrons.

But he doesn't get very far. The boy's glee turns to panic as the other barmaid that was serving other tables manages to snatch him -- by the ear -- and brings him back to the table. Apparently he spends his days in the tavern while his mum works... and she keeps a sharper eye on him than he realizes.

"Apologize, Rory," she tells him sternly.

The boy, of course, produces the coin and hands it to Zhu. "Sorry," he says, the words giving his ears freedom again.

"That boy'll be the death of me," she says with an apologetic smile to Zhu, and the rest of the party. "Always wanting adventure and there's no shortage of stories from folk passing through. He stowed away with a party once, they were an hour down the road before they found him... best check your wagons when you leave."

She ruffles his hair and leaves him there by the table that he recently stole from, letting him face the consequences as she returns to other patrons.

Last edited by AquaDyne; Fri 06/10/23 23:36 UTC. Reason: ZZZzzz...
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Although she doesn't expect to ever see it again, she grins and pulls out a silver.

"Will it work as well with this? And you haven't yet said who you are here with."

She has sympathy if he needs to earn a coin. She's been there.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

The half-elf smiles at Jaliera's actions and question. His eyes draw to the faraway past where he once survived on the streets with her. He watches, and though he is tempted to offer enhancement to her, he knows he will perform later. The boy can see some of the entertainment then.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The boy looks down, scuffing his feet, admonished. And yet, the table seems to have forgiven him as Jaliera produces another coin. A silver one! "That's my mum," he gestures toward the barmaid that recently had him by the ear, as he reaches out to take the coin, but leaves it visible for now. "I visit tables while she works and listen to all the stories, it's how I heard about all the stuff you all did."

Tavern day care at its finest.

Rory ventures a small smile, looking at Jaliera. "I can... do the trick again?" he confirms, not wanting to get in trouble a second time. His ear still hurts.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Yes please Rory. We are eager to see it again."

She smiles at the boy, reassured by his identity and happy to provide him with the coin and some tales to tell his friends.

"As to adventuring there are a lot of times of being hungry, cold, bored and sometimes hurt. Not all it is cracked up to be. And besides you have to be.."

She stands, holding a hand above her head.

"..at least this high to qualify. Got some growing to do first."

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

Rory smiles and attempts to repeat the trick. "Okay!" he says excitedly. "Now you see it...."

Rory Dex (Sleight of Hand)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+0 and got 3

But it's even more obvious than the last time. He doesn't even bother with the "Now you don't" part. At least he didn't drop the coin on the floor.... that happened once.

He places the coin back on the table, knowing he didn't provide the entertainment as requested. "Sorry, I guess I need to practice more," he shrugs. "Or learn real magic," he adds, his eyes brightening and looking around at the group.

"So have you seen giants other than the ones you ran off at Triboar? Lots of people coming through have said there are giants all over the place. We haven't seen any come to our town yet, but I wanna see one!"

AJ Offline
Kriv

The scholar looked on approvingly as the boy left the coin on the table: The child had been corrected, the correction had stuck. No easy feat in such a rambunctious environment, a credit to his mother for instilling that baseline of discipline.

"We have, yes. Great and small, wise and simple. There is a risk with seeing them, I went toe to toe with both the fire giants at Triboar and it could have cost me dearly, and that's with the benefit of years of training for battle and extensive study of the art. If you would see a hostile giant, you had best have studied and been diligent in your learning beforehand, whichever path you seek."

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
J-J Vomact
J-J Vomact
Old Bridge, NJ, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,835
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy