Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Lionhawke), 51 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1065572 Fri 25/08/23 21:41 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The companions finished their breakfast and wandered out into the streets.

Street performers were juggling different things to entertain the crowds. Games began at 10am, starting with a feed sack race where participants tied a feed sack around the lower half of their bodies. Then they would hop when released to try and cross the finish line first. The prize was a huge turkey leg provided by The Rusty Dragon.

Drinks and treats can be purchased from many different stalls or wagons.

Face painting, tattooing, and many other activities were being offered.

All manner of wares were being offered by many merchants who came to the town for this festival to showcase their merchandise.

Before noon, people started to wander towards the confluence of streets in front of the new church. Up on a platform is a podium and a couple of well-dressed people.

One might note Kendra Deverin Sandpoint's Mayor. Smiling at the crowd.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Most of Zak’s time was spend perusing the booths. As per requests, he showed the ladies the spices and explained their best uses. He also hung out and investigated anything selling alcohol and gladly discussing the merits of each with the vendors.

Coral

She went with the flow, going with the rest of the group as they made their way amongst the stalls. She contemplated a tattoo, but after a bit of contemplation, instead decided to get her face painted. At that stall, she went with the option of the face of a red dragon - it was a choice that honoured where they were staying, she explained.

Online Content
Catalena

Catalena found herself a bit envious of those performing for the biggest crowds she'd ever seen in Sandpoint or even just being part of the crowds. But, aside from a couple of diversions, she stuck to her duty through the morning and looking forward to her shift's end and the ceremonies at the Cathedral. At least, she was needed to stay near the crowds and could enjoy the festival vicariously.

She did manage to steal a few minutes to ask Mr. Pont to set aside three yards of deeply purple dyed linen and one yard of bright tangerine silk, setting her back a good bit of what she'd saved of late, with a plan to commission a new dress from Rynshinn Povalli. She also took time to pay her respects to Madame Niska Mvashti, the venerable seer and town matriarch of the Varisian population, who had made the long slow walk from her manor house up to the Cathedral Square with the help of her adult daughter Koya.

When she passed by and saw Coral with her red scales, she was at first taken aback. "Ah, Coral, I hardly recognized you. But I must say that the artistry of the visagiste suits you." She smiled warmly.

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

The crowds were a little bigger than the day before and they made her nervous. Also Aendell and Zac changed things. But she did smile when Coral came back with her face painted.

She even listened to Zak's description of the spices. Picking up a few to try out later.

But for the most part she stayed close to Aendell and tried to find an opportunity to talk to him about the Harrows. Something she couldn't imagine him being interested in.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He wanders around with the others, casually taking in the sights and sounds. He tries a few bites of foods that look interesting, but otherwise husbands his meager funds.

At one point, Selaim gives him a strange look after glancing at Catalena, and he finds a moment where they are not near her to say, "Yes, I know. I know little about what she calls the Harrows, and I don't truly care that much. However I have a mission and it was an opportunity to be alone with her where I can question her in more depth."

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Wait did he say question, Selaim thought glancing at Aendell. "Do you need help?" She asks not sure how'd she help but willing to. Not sure how but as much grief as she gave him she knew him to be fair.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Kendra

Kendra Deverin

Kendra starts in right at noon.

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and all the wonderful folks gathered here today,
Welcome, one and all, to the enchanting Swallowtail Fall Festival in our beloved town of Sandpoint! It fills my heart with absolute delight to see this vibrant gathering, where joy and merriment dance hand in hand. Today, we come together as a community, embracing the spirit of celebration that sets our town apart.

“Now, let me share a little secret with you all. You know our dear friend Larz Rovanky, the tireless tanner? Well, hold onto your hats because even he managed to tear himself away from the tannery! Yes, you heard it right, the infamous workaholic himself is here among us, much to the amusement of everyone except Larz, of course! I must say, if this festival can lure Larz away, then you can be sure it's something truly special.

“As the mayor of Sandpoint, it warms my heart to witness the joyous atmosphere that surrounds us. The air is filled with the tantalizing aroma of delectable treats, the sound of laughter echoes through the streets, and the streets themselves are adorned with colorful decorations that bring a sparkle to our eyes.

“Today, we celebrate not just the beauty of the changing seasons but the unity of our community. We come together to revel in the blessings that life has bestowed upon us. From the towering swallowtail butterflies that grace our skies to the boundless friendships forged within these streets, Sandpoint is a place where warmth and hospitality flow abundantly.

“So, my dear friends, let us seize this moment to immerse ourselves in the wonders of the Swallowtail Fall Festival. Explore the stalls that line our streets, where artisans showcase their exquisite craftsmanship. Indulge in the mouthwatering delights prepared by our talented cooks and bakers. Engage in games and competitions that will test your skill and fill your hearts with laughter.

“May the spirit of this festival ignite a fire of joy within each and every one of you. Let us cherish these moments and create memories that will forever be etched in the tapestry of our lives. Sandpoint welcomes you with open arms, and we are honored to have you share in this celebration with us.
So, my friends, let the Swallowtail Fall Festival begin! Let us dance, let us feast, and let us revel in the magic of this day. Together, we shall paint the canvas of our memories with vibrant hues as we celebrate the beauty of life, love, and community.

“Thank you, and may the spirit of the Swallowtail Fall Festival bring you endless joy and cherished moments in the days to come!

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He just smiles gently at Selaim. "Thank you for the offer, but I am sure I'll be fine. Besides, having two there might make her more guarded." He then turns to listen to the Mayor's speech.

Coral

She listened attentively to the mayor - it was the polite thing to do.

Coral had no idea who Larz was, so that part of the mayor's speech sailed right past her...

Disappointingly, when Coral summarised it to herself, the remainder of the speech merely exhorted Coral to enjoy herself, and she had planned to do that anyway ...

She glanced at Selaim, to see if she had a plan ...

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

The speech was.... erm... well... boring. Standing there with Aendell and near Coral felt fine though. Even Zak's presence felt alright. She was still concerned with Aendell and the Harrows though. At the end of the speech she looked at her companions and noticed Coral looking to her. She smiled.

Patting his shoulder, "Makes sense but the offer is there. I think Coral and I are going to see what kind of fun we can scrounge up. You and Zak are invited of course."

She moves over to Coral. "We did shopping. Want to check out the games?"

Coral

"'The games' sounds interesting," she replied. "I wonder if they are physical or mental...."

"Let's do them."

Online Content
Catalena

Catalena, still on duty until the Cathedral rededication, took up her position on the north side of the square. She'd hopped up on a low stone wall to better see over the crowd. She did not merit a place of honor to be guarding the dais and the mayor herself but she was in a good position to wryly observe the consternation upon the face of Larz Rovanky, discomfited to be called out by the mayor. Mayor Deverin was right, though. Larz was infamous for working himself and his often-replaced tannery staff all hours with barely a break. He did great leather work, though.

Her heart warmed as Mayor Deverin described Sandpoint and the spirit of the Swallowtail Festival. It was true. It seemed like the whole town was celebrating the virtues Desna and other gods to some degree had gifted the world: camaraderie, diversity, acceptance, joy in celebrating the senses of the world, and freedom of the individual. At that moment, despite the circumstances of her tenure in Sandpoint, Catalena felt as part of the community here as she did with her traveling family of fellow Varisians. She thought, If I ever did decide to settle down anywhere, it would be a place like this.

Then, she laughed to herself, realizing as soon as she had the thought, the urge to want to leave began to immediately rise up. No, she realized. "Settling down" would be at most a colorful wagon with well-greased cartwheels.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak

He looked to Selaim and grins.

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world. Scrounging up fun happens to be a hobby of mine and one I’m rather good at. As long as it isn’t a singing contest. You might not survive that.”

He listened to the speech with interest. Joy, hospitality, love, fun. Desna was not who he followed, but one could definitely say that Desna was sort of like that lovable aunt that came to all the family reunions, and definitely threw some killer parties. Free people celebrating freely. What could, indeed, be better? There was a spirit in a smaller town like this that you couldn’t get in a place like Magnimar where you could get lost on the way to the brewery.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sheriff Belor Hemlock
Sheriff Hemlock

The next speaker steps up, Sheriff Hemlock. He is a dour hard man who has the scars of some of the battles he has been through. Clearly
he has been in a few if his age is any indication.

He attempts a grim smile and says "I know we are all here to enjoy the festival, but be careful. We do not want anyone hurt for the sake of frivolity. Be especially careful around tonight's bonfire." He looked out at a couple individuals in particular.

"Let's have a moment of silence for those who we have lost."

The crowd obliges, and as one, the entire crowd is silent for about a minute.

Short and to the point, yet bringing down the crowd after the Mayor's rising speech.

The next man is a portly man dressed flamboyantly steps up.

Crydak Drokkus
His gregarious smile washes some of the darkness the Sheriff had brought to the stage away. "Remember to have fun I believe is what our esteemed Sheriff is reminding us of. I am Crydak Drokkus the proprietor of the our wonderful local theater. We have a schedule not to be missed this week! We have a supreme Diva from Magnimar who will bless us with her gorgeous songs for a show tonight and tomorrow night. Not to be missed, quite possibly the best show our wonderful little town has seen in many years."

"The dedication of our new Cathedral will be precisely at two bells. Please make sure to return for it!"

He laughed a bit since he had only offered a tease. "Because I believe a Festival should be a cause for celebration, you may talk to any of the inn vendors at their carts around the square. The Sandpoint Theatre is buying one... and only one... drink for everyone. Do enjoy your time at our festival."

With that, he took a deep bow while people were already scrambling to be the first in line at one of the four carts around the square. For all the fast movement, people seem to be acting with courtesy and aplomb.

Last edited by Pandemonium; Sat 09/09/23 16:46 UTC.
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Aendell

Once the speeches are over, he looks to see what the options are. "Shall we stroll around, or have you already picked out where you want to go?" He asks Selaim.

Coral

She starts to wander off in search of games to play, secure in the knowledge that this was a safe town.

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

"Let's see what Coral finds. I think we are looking to play some of the games." Selaim said watching the other girl.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak:

“That I can go with. A little healthy competition is a good thing.”

Online Content
Catalena

Catalena chuckled to herself at Sheriff Hemlock's attempts at congeniality but took his suggestion of a moment of silence to heart and respectfully met his expectation.

She was glad to see Cyrdak speak. She liked the irreverent dramaturge despite his cutting rivalry with Ameiko Kaijitsu. They were both extraordinary performing talents and perhaps that rivalry led to the bad blood between them, but Catalena wasn't sure. It was not likely a romantic entanglement gone wrong as Cyrdak clearly favored the company of the retired yet still handsome paladin crusader Sir Jasper Korvaski who managed the Mercantile League's business. Small-minded yet influential bigots like the Scarnettis meant they couldn't be open about it but it was clear to anyone with open eyes and a heart that the two older gentlemen were quite fond of each other. Catalena was certainly looking forward to the show tonight and fully expected to see Sir Jasper in his patron's box as well.

In the meantime, there was a free drink to be had. She'd need to think about which Inn she'd make her claim but for now she got the nod to keep the peace and follow along with the crowd towards the games that were set up near the vacant lots along Cliff Street. There were sack races for both adults and children along the avenue; weight-lifting of large stones a little closer to the cliff's edge than she would have expected; a long narrow beam of wood had been raised about four feet off the ground and the challenge was to walk up it and ring a bell at the end; a team tug-of-war contest; as well as a hide-and-seek competition in the overgrown area near Northgate, behind The Way North map library and the large Inn called the White Deer. The competition was fierce as voices cried out to cheer visitors and Sandpoint residents both, though the prizes were mere bragging rights which was nothing to spit at in a small town, Catalena admitted.

From around the corner, on shell street there were a couple of stands that offered competition of a less physical variety: an older halfling woman Catalena immediately recognized as Bethany Corwin from the Rusty Dragon was shyly calling out an eating contest of spicy peppers from Tian Xia; amusingly, she saw the town smith Das Korvut, a bald and powerfully muscled man, sitting scowling on a stool while old Cracktooth Berinni from his self-named Tavern tried to challenge passersby to attempt to make Korvut laugh, how he'd managed to hook the disgruntled smith into such a task she had no idea; and several of the town's intelligentsia: Chask Haladan, the booksmith, Brodert Quin, the researcher, and Sabyl Sorn, the monk argued their theories of how to guess the number of marbles in a glass jar that the school headmaster Ilsoari Gandethus had arranged.

((OOC any and all games are open. Choose which you'd compete in (just one try per game) and post your scores with some description:))

• Sack Races: Solo competition. Athletics check
  • Weight-Lifting: Solo competition. Strength check
  • Balance Beam: Solo competition. Athletics check
  • Tug-of-War: Teams of four. Strength check, combine each to one score.
  • Hide and Seek: Teams of two. One person rolls Notice and one Stealth, combine each to one score.
  • Pepper-eating: Solo competition. Vigor check
  • Make Das Korvut laugh: Solo competition. Persuade, Perform, or Spirit check
  • Guess the Marbles: Solo competition. Science or Smarts check

((/OOC))

Last edited by Vryx; Mon 11/09/23 01:04 UTC. Reason: added more games
Coral

She frowned on discovering the games that were available. She knew that she would not do very well at any of them.
But she was quite happy to set a very low bar for everyone else to have to beat.

She picked the smallest of the large stones, squatted beside it and depite all her attempts to get a better grip by manoevring herself into a better stance and grip, singularly failed to lift the stone - at all - though she did manage to rock it a little.

Knowing the stone was going to win, she stood up and gave a curtsey to the jeering crowd, and let another take her place.

Coral weight lifting
Angrboða rolled d6,d6 and got 2, 2

any worse and she would have fumbled it!

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak told a story. A funny story, to Das Korvut.

“…and so the dwarf said ‘wait, I thought that was wine!’”
Art in the Blood rolled 1d10,1d6 and got 7, 1

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He wanders about, watching others try their hand at some of the competitions, offering encouragement at times or applauding at successes, though he doesn't try any of the games himself. He enjoys some of the spices Zak describes, though several are a bit spicy for his taste. In the main, he observes the town, its layout, and its people, looking for a potential place where a Shrine to Iomedae might be placed.

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Selaim walked around and then spied the balance beam feeling the need to try it. She got oon and quickly ferelt overconfident until her foot was a little off. Then she concentrated and trotted through it.

Selaim Balance Beam
Miales rolled d8,d6 and got 2, 6

Selaim Balance Beam (ace)
Miales rolled d6 and got 2

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The enjoyment of the games are obvious.

Selaim wins a turkey leg for her prize, as well as the bragging rites.

Zak makes Das guffaw and the Gnome is declared a winner.

He is offered his choice of a pint of ale, or a turkey leg.

As time passes people are beginning to return to the square in front of the church for the dedication ceremony.

[OOC: Do you also follow the throngs? Please let me know where your character is at this point.]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Pandemonium 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Phoenix Prime
Phoenix Prime
Sanger Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,855
Posts141,362
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy