Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Asta, Phoenix Prime), 45 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Catalena

"Well, I shan't need any sugar in my kahve with you around, my friend. You see it's a temporary position until there are some new recruits," Catalena replied to Zak with a smile, "Although I daresay it might be earlier if the Sheriff's patience wears thin. In his opinion, I am thoroughly unsuited to 'law enforcement'."

She thanked the server and took a large bite of food. "For instance, how can I arrest some young girl for taking food because she's hungry? This was only last week. The merchant was upset at the time when I let it go and the Sheriff added another month to my time, but I brought the girl's family to meet the merchant and now they do some odd jobs in exchange for the end of the market's leavings and isn't that a far better outcome than throwing someone in a cell? The hunger remains as soon as she's free again and might even be worse."

"So, I'm replacing a couple young men who I'd given a Harrowing and then quit the constabulary after learning their fates. Quite wise of them, in my opinion, but not Sheriff Hemlock's. I make some coin off-shift with fortune-telling, song, story, and dance, and have been living well enough here at the Dragon. I rather like Sandpoint but I'll surely need to heed the road's call again."

She asked the company, "Have you all come for the Festival?"

Last edited by Vryx; Mon 21/08/23 19:19 UTC.
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Wish he had told me she thought as she started eating her breakfast. She thought more of yesterday. How nice it was not to be looking over her shoulder and seeing everything. Coral was fun and yes the experience brought up the good memories.

But she felt a chill when the guard from the day before came to the table. She almost panicked and ran because it was a guard but remembered what Aendell had said. That there were good guards. And the woman seemed to be nice enough. Aendell seemed to accept her.

And What's that about Kat. Was Kat the guard's name? Or a pet name from the per.. Zak? She shouldn't be a guard? Or the uniform looks odd on her?

Selaim looked at the uniform and seemed like any other uniform.

But what did the woman mean by sentence? Does that mean she is a prisoner? Need to find that out.

She started to speak but instead listened to the story. then couldn't any longer.

"Why can't more guards be like you? And a prisoner? What do you mean how can a prisoner be a guard?"

Turning to Aendell. "Why? They were about to cut off my hands. And exiled me for two coppers but here they make you a slave? Because you told some people a fortune? Where is justice?"

<OOC: bear with her she'll figure it out... maybe>

Last edited by Miales; Tue 22/08/23 12:31 UTC.
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak

“It would be an odd form of slavery, Selaim, to be given a weapon and authority over others to enforce the law. I’d say that that is a creative punishment. Facing the consequences by becoming the consequences. I know Catalena well from Magnimar, and it seems that this sherif must be a good judge of people to know that to her, giving her a sword and a badge would be punishment.”

He looks over at Coral:

“I plan on enjoying this festival for all its worth. There is something about these small towns that can’t be matched in a big city. People know each other. Less strangers.”

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 22/08/23 12:42 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

His eyes are sharp as Catalena tells the story about reading the guards fortunes. "Do you do that a lot?" He asks. "Reading fortunes for people? Do you often find they act on what you tell them?"

As Selaim tells her story, he turns his head. "Cutting off your hands was not justice. If it was I'd not have intervened. You will find that just as there are good guards and bad guards, good people and bad people, that this extends to all walks of life. Some people are given a little power and it goes to their heads. They become full of themselves and want to show others that they are above them. That is what happened with that Magistrate. He has a bad reputation and I didn't trust him. That is why I was there that day."

He pauses.

"Now, lets talk about the fun day we have ahead, shall we? Plenty of time to talk about philosophy on the road."

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

This was nothing like the world Villiam and the guild described. Their way was guild/not guild to differentiate good and evil. Here Aendell described in a broader spectrum. That people can be either. Who know. Maybe today will shed more light.

"I just hope today is like yesterday."

Coral

'I've missed something ...' Coral told herself.
The table seemed very tense, and the conversation seemed to be about crime and punishment.

Mentally, she retreated back into her shell a little, and concentrated on earing her breakfast.

Catalena

Cat grinned at the group's questions and comments, and took the time to polish off her breakfast, before replying.

To Selaim, she replied, "Hardly a slave, my dear. Besides the fact that slavery is illegal in Varisia, why there would be revolution before that. We do so love our freedom here. But I was offered a choice of a fine, far too steep, incarceration, or community service. Which, as there are already many excellent performers here, including Ameiko, your host, they had an immediate opening for someone to walk around town and see to its protection. Though, it's quite peaceful here compared with Magnimar, for instance.

"As to my alleged offense, well, the Sheriff and I disagree there but he's the law and I'm a happy vagabond so you know how that works out. Truth to tell, I don't particularly mind it, Zachergillan. If I weren't here I'd be somewhere else, and it makes for a good story."

To Aendell, she smiled, "Why of course. The Harrows never lie and the gift of reading them comes from Desna herself. Those who are wise heed my advice though not all do."

She leaned in closer and said, "If you're interested, when I'm off duty this evening, I'd be happy to tell your fortune. Where do your questions lie? Money? Fate? Romance?"

Last edited by Vryx; Tue 22/08/23 23:50 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He considers, then nods. "Somewhere private. Don't want others making fun."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak:

“I might partake Cat. Although I’m usually a tough read. Hard to pin down.”

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

So not a slave. And community service? That was better than Magnimar which offered, execution, prison, or public shaming.

From what she was able to gather Catalena was well known in the town so people would know her duty was not by choice. But still more guards should think like Cata... Cat. Especially in Magnimar.

Seeing Coral retreat into herself, Selaim turned to her, "So where do you want to go today? Looks like The princeling and... Zak might be able to go too."

Then she caught snippets of Cat's conversation with Aendell and glanced over. She'd seen him in different situations and caught an edge of seriousness in him when he agreed to a reading. The same type of edge when he talked to the authorities in Magnimar.

"Does he actually believe in the Harrows?" she thought. "I'll have to ask."

Those thoughts were quick and in her head but to Coral she continued, "We can show them all those stalls you said they'd like. And maybe we can find that baker again. And maybe Zak can explain the spice hut a little better than that old crone saying 'It goes in food'."

Catalena

Catalena nodded to the men as she finished off her kahve."Of course. But you know, a Harrowing is a sacred ceremony and it must be taken seriously. So, let's do it soon after the rededication." Then, with a conspiratorial smile to Zak, she added, "Afterwards, we're going to paint the town brightly."

She cleaned her chin and hands and then reached out a friendly hand to brush Aendell's arm. She said, softly, "Not to worry, just you and I. The more you open your inner self to the Harrows, the clearer your reading. No one will make light of your true heart."

Last edited by Vryx; Thu 24/08/23 13:28 UTC.
Coral

She was somewhat taken unawares by Selaim addressing her, and she had to take herself out of her inner thoughts.

"Yes, we could show them the stalls we saw, and the ones we missed too. And I would quite like to look around the rest of the town too, to get our bearings and understand what there is."

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Selaim nsmiled and nodded in agreement excited to get the day rolling.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Pandemonium 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gypsy
Gypsy
Pidley, Cambs, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,855
Posts141,364
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy