Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 31 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1058579 Mon 17/07/23 01:44 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The next morning arose with the breaking of dawn. It was cool but would soon warm. If the past couple of days on the road were an indicator, the group could expect it to be warm by the afternoon. Not hot by any stretch of the imagination. After all, they were not far from the great waters to their east.

The various members of the caravan broke camp quickly and most would break their fasts on the road with bread and hard tack. The caravan master was eager to get the last few miles completed, it would seem.

Pandemonium #1058596 Mon 17/07/23 02:10 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak was already up and watching the sunrise early, having arisen and packed slightly before the rest of the caravan.

Pandemonium #1058599 Mon 17/07/23 02:11 UTC
Coral

Refreshed, Coral rose early and had a small fire going to boil some water before the others rose. It would be sufficient to give the four of them a warm drink to start the day.

she greated each of the others with a warm cup of herbal brew to start their day.

Then she made sure her horse had had a drink before re-equipping it with all its tack, and loading up the rest of her equipment.

Pandemonium #1058641 Mon 17/07/23 03:06 UTC
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Selaim got up early and strapped on her weapons. No need to hide them now she thought. Then tracked down the caravan master to get a mount. Leading the horse next to Aedell's war horse she tacked it aand had it ready. While coral was making the morning brew she broke down the tent and packed it. Adding it to the equipment already on the donkey.

"Thank you." she told Coral when she was handed a cup of the herbal brew. She broke out a biscuit leftover from the meal the night before and ate it as they waited for the caravan to move.

Pandemonium #1058707 Mon 17/07/23 11:55 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

Having spent the night in vigil, he rises to greet the Dawn bowing to the rising sun and offering a final prayer for guidance. He is only slightly tired from his vigil, having learned how to rest while in a meditative state. He wraps and gathers up the body carefully, bringing it to the camp and tying it atop the mule for transport before indulging in some breakfast. He thanks those who prepared it, and hands Zak back the coins he had laid out as part of the ritual yesterday.

He then brushes his mount and makes sure it is watered and has some feed before saddling it.

Turning to see Selaim equipping a horse nearby he says to her, "Glad you found a mount. That will make is easier for you to keep up while we chat." He smiles slightly, thinking, **And one less excuse for falling behind and out of hearing distance.**

"Also, as you seem to have weapons now, perhaps we should begin weapons practice each day? I'd like to see how well you know to use them."

Pandemonium #1058884 Mon 17/07/23 21:26 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The caravan was soon pulling out onto the road from where they had circled the night before. The road was a little less dusty, morning dew still touching things here and there.

The ride is easy, and in just a couple of hours, the first wagon pulls up to the gate. The caravan leader waves hello as he approaches the town, and crosses the bridge over the quay.

"Well Met," he calls when close enough.

Pandemonium #1058961 Tue 18/07/23 01:41 UTC
Catalena

It had been an interesting morning. Catalena Teodorescu awoke in the Copper Dragon room of the Rusty Dragon and stretched and yawned in the fantastically comfortable bed. It was a luxury, she knew, but she adored the soft down quilt, the clean fresh sheets, and the carved washbasin, plus enough of a western view over the top of the meat market to see the sunset over the Lost Coast. Her first week in Sandpoint she'd been offered a place in the Garrison barracks but too many late night returns, songs and spiced wine still on her lips, had earned her an invitation to find bedding elsewhere while she worked off her "community service."

She washed her face and cleaned her teeth with a powdered mixture of crushed shells that Nisk Tander had insisted would do wonders. Gagging a bit, she spit out the stuff, convincing herself that the salty grit would at least cover up the smell of the previous night's ale.

She got dressed, strapping the Sandpoint Watch cloak over her own leathers, refusing the heavy chainmail Sheriff Belor Hemlock had tried to issue her. While it was her agreed-upon punishment to take up the duties of the two young men who'd quit the Guard after she'd read their fortunes, and while it was better than a month in jail, she certainly couldn't be expected to wear a drab uniform? She'd convinced the Sheriff that if there was any sort of danger to respond to, which seemed unlikely in this lovely but sleepy port, she would be at her best to meet it unencumbered.

So, she wore enough to identify her as holding enough authority to represent "the law" while still maintaining her panache of bright Varisian colors, including her kapenia, violet and orange swirling patterns up and down the long scarf. She kept her left arm bare, the tattoos of vibrant butterflies adding to the variegated presentation. Vaguely, she wondered how much longer her sentence would be. "Until I tell you," was Hemlock's usual blunt reply. She laughed at that, for truly, she found Sandpoint charming and while she had never stayed in one place for longer than a season, she wondered if she would mind wintering here. Certainly she would not leave before the Swallowtail Festival. After that, who knew, besides the Harrows?

As she sipped her strong, black Chelish tea, she consulted the deck for her own reading. After weeks of little to interest her besides suggestions of where might be the most interesting to patrol or sup for the day, or various gossipy town dramas, she was a bit struck by reading not one, but four True matches.

Two from the past she saw: The Forge, the dwarf bringing together disparate elements to survive a trial by fire hammered his anvil above The Tangled Briar, the sins of the past that will affect the future. On the right, she saw that future and it was dire. The Cyclone, a directed force tearing through and destroying everything in its path. But for the present: The Midwife. For good or ill, today would see a new arrival, and an important one to this Harrowing.

And so it was that she'd traded a favor at the duty board to get gate patrol today, watching where the Lost Coast Road crossed the Sandpoint Bridge onto Market Street.

"Hail and well met, Mr. Pont," she replied with a grin, recognizing the caravanner. "Here for the Festival? What goods have you brought?"

Last edited by Vryx; Tue 18/07/23 01:45 UTC.
Pandemonium #1059017 Tue 18/07/23 04:08 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Mr Pont

He gave her a wide merchantman's smile. "This time, I bring fine bolts from faraway lands, silks from the big city, and even some fine elvish leather that I acquired in a well-played hand of hearts. How are you Catalena? I wasn't sure you would still be here."

One of the other guards said, "Teodorescu, the mayor wanted help cleaning up the square in front of the new church. Why don't you show this caravan where to set up and take care of it?" She knew it wasn't a request.

Hearing the 'suggestion,' Mr. Pont offers his hand "Ride with me. You can tell me all about the goings on in this wonderful little port. Oh and make sure I get to sample sweetmeats from the Rusty Dragon's cart."

Pandemonium #1059026 Tue 18/07/23 06:54 UTC
Coral

She'd had a good night's sleep, so as she rode along in the caravan, she watched the world go by and engaged in a little small-talk.

At the town, she waited patiently, happy to be with the caravan and avoid the prying eyes and paperwork that a solo traveller might have to endure.

Pandemonium #1059027 Tue 18/07/23 07:55 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak just walks up a bit frontward, taking in the new town, reveling in the ‘new’. It might be ‘quaint’in comparison to Magnimar, but it was NEW.

Pandemonium #1059030 Tue 18/07/23 10:10 UTC
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Having her own horse was not going the way she expected. She'd expected to be able to ride and mingle with the other people in the caravan or at the very least ride with Coral. She'd tried just that but the princeling's tone when she started to move off was horrid.

The whole day had been horrid. She'd barely finished breakfast before Aendell dragged her out and forced her to spar with him. Him and his patronizingly smug look when she grew tired. What did he say? "The more you work the more you'll be used to them." These were just heavier than the long knives she was used to. Then holier than thou said he wanted to spar every day. Every day! Sheesh!

"Who does he think he is? My master?" she thought as they approached the town and the caravan stopped. Good a new town time enough to get away she thought eyeing the paladin. She kicked the horse forward a little. Maybe he wouldn't glower too much if she were staying close to Zak.

Pandemonium #1059043 Tue 18/07/23 11:57 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Aendell

He sighed visibly when Selaim tried to, seemingly innocently, allow her horse to drift back and out of his view, giving her a loud throat clearing and narrowing of his eyes, and then continuing with the talk about helping the needy. Again during weapons practice, she started with the looks of exasperation, and in frustration he did not hold back on their next 'pass', putting her solidly on her rump with his sword at her neck.

He immediately felt ashamed and mortified, noting his own lack of patience as something to pray penance for in his Sunset meditations. He offered her a hand up, with an embarrassed look on his face. "I am sorry Selaim, but you need to take this seriously. If you bear weapons you must know how to use them or they will cause you more trouble than they will help. Only practice will let you improve. You know I practice every single day, alone or sparring if I can find a partner. I practice until I am too exhausted to go on. But I should not be pushing you beyond your limits. I tend to expect others to have the same endurance I have, and that is not a reasonable expectation. So how about this? Whenever you tell me you've had enough we will stop. As long as I can see you trying, and hopefully improving, that will be enough."

He holds out his waterskin in a peace offering.

Later in the day they reach the town. Aendell pulls his mount to a halt and leans down to pat its neck as he sees Mr Pont talk to one of the gate guards. He is close enough to hear the conversation, and his hand stops in mid-pat, eyes narrowing. Sitting up straight, his hand falls onto the pommel of his sword and he focuses closely on what is being said. Reaching across his chest he takes hold of the Sun symbol he wears and closes his eyes in concentration.

**My thanks, Iomedae, for leading me to my goal. I am unworthy of your favor.** He thinks.

(OOC - Detect Evil on the guard - Catalena.)

Pandemonium #1059050 Tue 18/07/23 13:07 UTC
Catalena

Catalena's eyes widened with excitement hearing of Pont's textiles. She suppressed an urge to shriek in delight. "Oh, Mr. Pont, I simply must see them! I can only imagine what Rynshinn could make of them. You might just take all this poor girl's gold."

She beamed at him and added, coyly, "Sounds like you've had more luck at cards than last we played, it seems?"

When Daigle Wedger ordered her to move on with the cart, she understood the intent of the younger man, but responded with a smile, "How thoughtful of you, Daigle, to give me this chance to catch up with Mr. Pont and to help prepare the Cathedral Square for the Festival." She trailed her hand along his shoulder and upper arm affectionately, enjoying his blush and consternation before accepting Pont's hand to pull herself up beside him.

She tossed her long black locks and relaxed into the seat. "I'll be here for as long as the Sheriff can stand, I suppose," she laughed. "And speaking of Ms Kaijitsu's culinary exploits, she has something surprised for the Festival but neither she nor Bethana will breathe a hint of it, as hard as I've tried."

She chatted amiably as they headed through town, "You've had a pleasant journey from Magnimar?" The cart rumbled past Two Knights Brewery and the Rusty Dragon and through the Market Square on the dockfront, mostly empty as the fishing boats were out early. She directed him down the Festival and High streets, giving a wave to the Sandpoint Theater as they passed, to eventually arrive at the Cathedral square.

Last edited by Vryx; Tue 18/07/23 13:09 UTC.
Pandemonium #1059136 Tue 18/07/23 18:22 UTC
Coral

The town looked pleasant enough she thought as she rode in. The inn "The Rusty Dragon" caught her eye as they passed. 'At least there is somewhere to stay,' she mused, and the thought made her wonder on her next course of action. Coral knew that she had been drifting since her master had left, but so far, nothing had given her purpose.

She watched the interaction between Selaim and Aendell and smiled. It was a very strange master / apprenticeship relationship. Neither seemed to fit their apparent role very well. Perhaps idle curiosity would guide her own next course...

Pandemonium #1059177 Tue 18/07/23 20:43 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Iomedae grants her servant the comforting knowledge that the woman is not evil.

The town is abustle with activity. It is clear that people are preparing for the festival tomorrow, which coincides with the Autumnal Equinox.

Several wagons pull around, and others go off down side streets to make deliveries of their own now that they have safely arrived at the town of Sandpoint.

Several children are playing in the square and have to be persuaded to move out of the way. Hide and go-seek isn't an acceptable reason to block a horse-drawn wagon.

The cathedral square actually looks pretty clean at the moment, though with horses, that could change momentarily.

Pandemonium #1059187 Tue 18/07/23 21:07 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak looks at the guard, looks twice, then blinks.

“…it couldn’t be.”

He says, looking her way.

Pandemonium #1059212 Tue 18/07/23 21:43 UTC
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

The offered waterskin gave her pause. Taking it she mumbled a thanks.

"So we made it town. What now? I mean do I have to stay with you and just not go back?"

She didn't know the agreement made between Aendell and the Magistrate. Only one moment her hands were on the chopping block and tge next he was telling her to get provisions.

Last edited by Miales; Tue 18/07/23 23:18 UTC.
Pandemonium #1059224 Tue 18/07/23 22:04 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[Vyrx found this love picture of Sandpoint which I have posted to our gallery.
https://www.dreamlyrics.com/forums/gallery/746/full/19412.jpg ]

Pandemonium #1059367 Wed 19/07/23 05:43 UTC
Is Sandpoint on the map in the rulebook?

Pandemonium #1059376 Wed 19/07/23 10:52 UTC
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
OOC: Map of Sandpoint

Pandemonium #1059391 Wed 19/07/23 12:36 UTC
Catalena

Catalena hopped down from the wagon and paused to take in the state of the Cathedral Square. "Well," she thought, "No rush here. Looks like Gorvi's boys have done a decent job so far." As she turned back to the caravan, her eyes met the gaze of Zachergillan the gnome. She had not seen the merry fellow for some time, not since her last ramblings had led her through Magnimar.

"Why, Mr. Pont," she spoke aloud, grinning with her hands on her hips, "You failed to mention you'd brought a yard's length of precious gems."

She strode toward the cleric of Cayden Cailean, a delighted laugh echoing across the square.

Last edited by Vryx; Wed 19/07/23 12:37 UTC.
Pandemonium #1059392 Wed 19/07/23 12:56 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak

As she approaches a wide grin splits his face.

“Hey Cat, you do remember you owe me a drink from that last bet, right? You may be bigger, but never challenge a Caylieanite to a drinking contest.”

He looks her up and down, his eye fixating on her ‘badge of office’, and his eyes widen in mock surprise.

“Why Catalina Teodorescu - you, a representative of the local constabulary? Now that makes a list of things I never expected to see!”

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Wed 19/07/23 12:57 UTC.
Pandemonium #1059403 Wed 19/07/23 13:36 UTC
Catalena

"Oh, la!" she chuckled, "You may be right but I'm never one to learn a lesson. We have five taverns here in Sandpoint. Tonight, we have a rematch, eh?"

At his look at her cobbled together uniform, she asked, "Oh this old thing?" She gave a twirl of the cloak with a laugh. "Yes, I've run a bit afoul of our Sheriff and am working off my offense with my skill as a swordswoman."

She tapped the long katana at her side. "So," she added, in mock severity, "You'd better keep your nose clean here in Sandpoint or I'll be forced to run you in!"

She laughed again. "Are you here for the Swallowtail Festival? It's going to be magnificent!"

Last edited by Vryx; Thu 20/07/23 01:22 UTC.
Pandemonium #1059409 Wed 19/07/23 13:50 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Zak:

“My nose.”

He said with mock pomposity,

“Is ever and always clean. Any dirt that appears from time to time is purely your imagination.”

“I decided to expand my horizons, and the festival and new Cathedral seemed just the right thing. And then.”

He pauses and smiles even wider.

“I find that I am traveling with others from, if you would believe it, from the same start I had. Cat, may I introduce… Coral, Aendel and Selaim. Quite the coincidence, if one believes in coincidence.”

Pandemonium #1059726 Thu 20/07/23 10:10 UTC
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Selaim

Selaim was already wary of the woman. She was wearing a badge. Then come to find out she was friends with the gnome. She definitely was suspect. Selaim stayed close to Aendell and Coral though. Coral because it was Coral. Aendell because she had no idea if she was allowed to leave yet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Pandemonium 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Wren
Wren
Pennsylvania
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,855
Posts141,357
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy