Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Glork

OOC: Ok can't help it...

Glork surprised by the hug from his friend smiles and put his oversized paw on her back returning the hug.

"Glork go be safe now. Stay safe Zin rah."

At Jaliera's approach.

"Food?" He smiles. "Yes safe an food."

He smiles content ready for whatever Faendra does next.

OOC: You have no idea how many times I just wanted to type "OGRE SMASH!!!" with the guy and leave it at that...

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
The Roc

(OOC: Not The Rock).

The gargantuan bird bows its head when it's introduced to the ogre, an amazing sight to see such a majestic creature allowing an ogre to touch it without complaint. Unlike the tiny tressym who tried to claw at the ogre earlier. Small bird syndrome, probably.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Small bird syndrome lol

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Fænra

After ensuring her mount is familiar with its upcoming passenger and watching the ogre bid farewell to some of his party members, the giantess steps back toward the remainder of the group, looking back and forth between Kriv, who had initially approached her, and Zhu, who had asked for time to discuss. Her happy mask is swapped out for the curiosity mask, as she looks between them to see if they've decided on any requests.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Some traits were common to nobility across many species, and it seemed Kriv was in a similar position of privilege to Fænra in that regard. Thus the noble scion of Norixius Keep was the one to step forth.

“We seek information and knowledge, esteemed Fænra. As much as you would deem equitable. Giantkin have been exceedingly active in these regions of late, digging up buried items of adamantine, dismantling ruins, Glork found himself overwhelmed by fire giants, settlements and caravans of the smaller peoples have come under attack. Are you aware of what is going on with all that and why?”

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Fænra

There is a nod from the giantess, and a smooth transition between curious and sad masks occurs.

"There is much more going on than you could possibly understand," she says. "But I will offer what I think is most important for you to know. This is not about you. This is a matter between giants. The attacks you see are collateral damage from a battle you are not fighting, and yet is being fought around you."

She looks around the party, then returns her masked face toward Kriv. "You gave me a name earlier, so you must be familiar with giants who ally with smallfolk in battles far beyond their own. Such has been done, such is being done, and such will be done in the future. Should you or your friends choose to ally, you would be wise to choose the winning side."

"As for the actions of giant races," she concludes, "each is pursuing their own goals, and while the details are uncertain, I will give you my own thoughts, that we are all pursuing power from the ancients. Either favor from our deities, or powerful relics from our history, or providing power to one of our own."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

Now that was interesting. A war between giants for ancient powers. They needed to know more about that war, who the players were, and where the fallout might occur. Because the trick with picking a winning side is to know which is the strongest. Certainly, this is a more reasonable and stronger giant than the ones they fought saving the town. But was she the right side? Probably better than some. He said nothing but continued to watch and listen.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

How to say a lot and say little.

Jaliera likes her answers a lot more direct than this. And it boils down to inter-squabbling between giants and power grabs. Not half as interesting as she had hoped.

M
M
<Bern>

He listened to their latest 'guest' as she gave them some insight into what was 'going on'. He acknowledged her sharing with a serious nod.

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

"I see." Commented the Dragonborn noncommittally. It was useful to be aware of the capabilities a given negotiating partner believed you to have, even if wildly inaccurate. He tried to press the main issue further,

"Who, exactly, are the main belligerent factions, and what is the point of contention or conflict deemed worthy of going to war over?"

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
Glork

The party forgotten is petting the birdy.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She listens intently as this is critical information. She adds one question of her own, "Are each of the Giant Races united in the side they are on, or are their different factions even among each Race?"

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Fænra

The giantess looks between Kriv and Zhu as they ask more detailed questions. "It is complex," she answers Zhu. Turning back to Kriv, she continues, "It is best answered by example. How do nobles rule in your part of the realm? Do you have a singular monarch or council? Are there different levels of authority among the nobles? How is that determined? Answer this, and I will explain more."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

The triton follows the conversation closely as he heals his horse's flesh wounds.

Arus speaks Giantish fluently. There are many powerful storm giant holdings in the ocean and scrag raiders are a perennial threat to undersea communities in shallower waters.

But so far the talks have been productive and he feels no need to interupt. This could be crucial information to their quest... and the task assigned to him by the Protectorate.

Coordinator of Chaos
Online Sleepy
Coordinator of Chaos
OOC: In my perpetual rotation of former NPC's I might be taking up Vordana. FUlly Expecting Aqua to slap me down

Vordana

What of those odd stones you found Triton? She might know of why the lightning stone was in that sword or the firestone was left near that ogre pet of yours.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Not for nothing was Kriv a scholar and historian, an educated member of the elite. Nor was he one to give up on getting as clear and detailed an answer to his own question, for all the intended demonstrative difficulty of the one Fænra posed in turn. Methodically, polity by polity for the regions in which he had lived and travelled, starting with overarching multi-location organisations such as the Lord’s Alliance and going down to the townships they had passed through, Kriv gave a concise but thorough answer to Fænra’s queries, mindful to avoid giving away anything that might be too sensitive to tell to a potential opponent with ill intent.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Fænra

The giantess nods to Kriv's explanation, and then begins her own.

"Your nobility has allied against a common enemy, and so has Giantkind," she begins. "Your alliance has existed for less than two centuries, ours for millenia. You defend against the criminal elements and savage beasts. Our ancient enemies have been, and continue to be, dragonkind."

"You have displayed great knowledge of your recent history, but the time of smallfolk on these lands, while nearly fifteen hundred years, pales in comparison to our own history," she continues. She pauses, the sad faced mask coming up as she recalls her history. "Our nation of Ostoria, founded by the sons of Annam All-Father, existed on these lands for nearly thirty thousand years. Our ancestors were powerful, and possessed powerful magic. We used it to fight against dragonkind, with one war lasting a thousand years. Sadly, we were driven out of these lands by the Great Glacier, and our nation, and the giant races, scattered."

While all in the party may not know the name of Ostoria, those who speak Jotun (Giant)
would recognize the word meaning "father's seat".

During most of this exposition, Faenra has been glancing around to the others gathered, but turns her attention diretly to Kriv as she continues.

"Now consider your alliance. Imagine each of you had your best weapons in storehouses in your cities, but disaster came and displaced you from your lands. Your alliance held strong, passed down to your children, recreating a new life. Strangers moved into the ruins of your old, abandoned cities. Some among you wanted to return, but your leaders held you back. You had no cities to protect any more, you didn't need them," Faenra narrates.

"But your ancient enemy is returning," Faenra adds, a mask denoting fear appearing in front of her face. "And yet another generation has assumed leadership and is no longer holding you back. Your own descendants know of the threat, and they know where there is power stored to defend against it. Would they not be in their rights to return to their cities, to recover their property from generations past? Would the presence of newcomers only in these cities for a mere decade or two take away their right of centuries? You may not mean to harm them when recovering your weapons, but it is inevitable," she concludes, the sad mask returning. "And necessary."

"You spoke of Blagothkus so you are aware of the threats, and the need to recover our power. Like you, we do not intend to harm when reclaiming what is ours. Those who get out of the way are spared as much as we can. As much as you would. Those who organize resistance against you -- or us -- are as good as allying with the enemy."

After concluding the background, she nods again toward Kriv. "As for your questions, the belligerent factions are dragonkind and those who help them. Giantkind is not at war with itself, it is seeking its ancient greatness, each of the giant races, the descendants of the sons of Annam All-father, much like your dispersed council of lords, choosing different means to do so. As a scholar and a traveler, you are likely more aware of exactly what each is doing than what I have heard in my own travels, but if you seek a common thread, know that it lies in recovering ancient power."

To Zhu, she continues, "Some races are united behind a leader. Some are -- well, there are always politics involved. Not all actions are taken kindly and some leaders have ... ceased to lead. It would not be true to claim complete unity."

Looking around, she asks, "Anything I have not addressed that you wish to know before I depart?"

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Listening to Faenra, he begins to see the giants side of the situation they are in. Now he wonders, just how much time that they have before hostilities break out between the giants and dragonkind sympathizers. With that in mind he takes a few steps forward and asks, "Faenra, do you know if fighting between you and dragonkind is coming soon?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She listens calmly, considering and wondering how bad it would be for humanoids if Dragons and Giants fought each other? While there are good members of both species, the evil ones have caused massive destruction of humanoid places and people over the centuries. Would it truly be so bad if the wiped each other out?

Of course the humanoid peoples would suffer, if for nothing else than as circumstantial casualties and as targets for both sides if either saw some means of gain by assaulting them. And she is sworn to uphold the peace, in general, so she sighs, and asks, "Surely you are aware of the depredations performed upon the humanoid races by Giantkind, as well as Dragonkind. Your comments explain why the Giants are doing what they're doing, but we do not wish to be accidental, nor intended, casualties in a war between Dragons and Giants. Some of these casualties have already occurred. As Giants have searched for these ancient weapons you mention, innocent men, women, and children have been killed. Do you have a proposal for how to avoid such happening again?"

All-in-all, she believes that it would be a close call as to whether humanoids would suffer more were Dragons to win or were Giants to win.

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Fænra

"Soon?" the giantess answers Davroar. "That means many things to each of us. I can not say the threat is imminent," she replies. "Nor can I say it is a long way off. I do not think most giants expect an attack to come sooner than their preparations."

"I have three such ideas," Faenra replies to Zhu, the mask coming up much the equivalent of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

"First: if you see giants, run away."

A short pause.

"Second: eliminate the dragon threat."

Another short pause.

"Third: figure out how to lead the giants and command them to stop. If you do this, do let me know, as there is some competition." There's a touch of humor in her voice here. "But more seriously, if you encounter giants, you might consider finding their thoughts and supporting those who want to put an end to this. And before you ask, no, I am not anywhere near that level of politics nor would I know where to find them. You might have more luck with giants who spend their time on these lands, not flying over them."

Last edited by AquaDyne; Sun 09/07/23 00:35 UTC. Reason: Answer Davroar, too
M
M
<Bern>

The talk of 'large folk' fighting just got him thinking of the collateral damage that always seemed to be suffered by his folk when that happened. But he continued to listen since she didn't seem to have any 'agenda'.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She frowns, not liking the snarky answer at all.

"I have another idea. Instead of showing complete disdain and contempt for other beings, the Giants can negotiate and offer recompense to those humanoid communities they feel a need to disrupt and destroy private property while searching for their things. I expect evil Dragons to believe themselves to be entitled brutes. If Giants strive to believe that they are better than Dragons, or believe others should side with them, then they should show why."

Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Fænra

A stern/angry mask comes up as Zhu speaks.

"Recompense you for invading our lands?" the giantess replies. "Small folk are desecrating our sacred burial mounds across this frontier and you are doing nothing about it. Not a good way to start negotiations."

With a shake of the head, she turns to return to her roc, and the ogre awaiting transport. "It appears you are done with questions," she says coolly.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

“The fact you buried something somewhere thousands of years ago does not give you the right to run roughshod and perpetrate violence over those who live there now unaware of that. Civilized beings talk and explain themselves. They do not trample on innocents.”

She nods. “It seems we have little else to talk about.”

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 09/07/23 19:50 UTC.
Maris Imperium
OP Online Busy
Maris Imperium
Fænra

The giantess pauses, turning to reply to Zhu, the sad face mask showing.

"Do not blame me for the actions of others that I am not in a position to control," she replies. "I have tried to answer your questions and give you information to guide your choices, but you appear to think I have something to offer in negotiations. I do not. As I just said, you will likely find more help in your endeavors from those of giantkind who walk these lands. We are not all unified and you may find some who both support your cause and have more specific ideas in how you can help that those of us who only visit do not."

She nods her head slightly, then turns again, hopefully on a more polite note.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
LaBerge
LaBerge
Christchurch, New Zealand
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,828
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy