Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
(OOC: Thanks for clarifying that Aqua. I was playing Glork like he couldn’t see that Barbarian because of the trees in between them.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She sees the spear fly at Glork and is about to cast an attack spell in return when the Barbarian shouts out his challenge. ***Hmmm. They have been restrained so far....***

So she decides to wait to see if any of the group take up the challenge. This is right in the wheelhouse of at least two members of the group so she expects they will. In the meantime, she readies a spell just in case anyone in the group is damaged by the Barbarians.

M
M
<Bern>

He looks over at Kriv to see if he feels up to the challenge.

MikeD
Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

As the situation doesn't immediately devolve into full-scale combat, and he has more than six seconds to speak, the tribe leader clarifies his terms.

"Should you fear death, I will spare the final blow if you yield," he calls out. "I ask no such favor from you."

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Glork

Yells, "No! Glork fight! Glork fight for Zinwa and frenz!" Then roars at the Barbarian Leader.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

Pressed under the weight of the tribal warriors, Arus is able to gain a knee with effort.

"Challenge accepted, my good man." He says through gritted teeth.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Hearing it will be a one-on-one combat, Davroar will break from his readied spell and move forward to see if the reindeer is injured.

Last edited by Dugan; Wed 15/03/23 06:36 UTC.
Zindra

She moves over next to Glork. "Hey. Do you know that we won already? Because of you? They saw you and realized that they were going to die. You Glork are the WINNNER!"

-Nep
Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Glork

He looks down at Zindra cooking his head to the side saying, "Win? We no fight. He want to fight frenz." Pointing at the leader.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

As at least two of the party expresses interest in single combat, and the leader decides either an ogre or triton satisfies his desire for a challenge, things seem to be de-escalating.

With a few short shouted commands, the barbarian leader orders those restraining Arus to release him, and the command is immediately obeyed. Not only do they release Arus, but clear a path for the animal to leave... once the wall of water around it is removed.

The barbarians surrounding the ravine still look a bit suspicious, but given the original plan for the day -- their leader's single combat against a worthy foe -- is still in play, they follow his orders, waiting for the party intent on saving the reindeer to sort things out amongst them just who he will face.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Seeing the matter resolve into a contest of champions, Kriv duly approaches. The terms, however, specified no magic. Not necessarily a problem for the Dragonborn, adept as he was with his maul, but with Arus and the ogre volunteering as well, it was an interesting call as to whom they put forward.

"Traditionally to this point, I have been the one of our number to engage in challenges of single combat. I am willing to do so again. Given Arus' acceptance, I will yield if he wishes to press his case, given his handling."

Hefting his maul, the Dragonborn Noble stood ready, sizing up the Barbarian's champion with a practised eye. Ogre, Triton or Dragonborn, who was their best bet against him?

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She thinks they are giving a good account of themselves with three of them standing up to volunteer. Could be interesting.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The barbarian who had thrown a spear at Glork studiously ignores the ogre, hoping the creature will forget about him. He does nudge his sleeping companion awake with the comment "Your spear's over there," pointing to a spot behind Glork.

This is obviously confusing for the now-spearless warrior, who wonders why there's an ogre so close to him and why nobody is fighting. "What..." he starts to ask, and then decides not to finish the question.

The other barbarian sleeping in the web is still blissfully aware unaware of anything that has happened.

Last edited by AquaDyne; Fri 17/03/23 06:58 UTC. Reason: obvs typo
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

The triton isn't the kind of person to hold a grudge against an enemy simply for being in opposition. War is sport, only with higher stakes.

So with Kriv Norixius wanting to share the party's traditions with these barbarians, it seems uncouth to Arus to deny the dragonborn.

"Then, twould be my honour to second thee, Kriv Norixius." Arus says with breezy charm, turning to the barbarian's spokesman, "The first one on their knees, loses. Sound fair?"

It's prudent to define the victory condition before crossing blades, but while the barbarians are talking they aren't hunting and so Arus dismisses the wall of water. It turns into a vapor, carried away on the wind and the deer can go where it chooses.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Glork

Turns to Zindra. "Glork no like. Me want to fight." He growls

He's not happy but will not interfere or press to be champion.

(OOC: Rolled a 34 on if he'd be stubborn about it. Figured he needed a 60 or higher to insist and go against the party's decision.)

Last edited by Miales; Thu 16/03/23 18:54 UTC.
M
M
<Bern>

"You can have first 'dibs' on the next 'challenge'", he told Glork hoping there would not be a lot more of these in the future.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Seeing the way the situation seems to be developing, she dismisses the Webs.

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
Goldie

As the magical obstructions to its travel disperse, along with a path being made clear by its captors, the golden-horned-deer departs.

It does not seem in a hurry at first, pausing for a moment near the barbarian leader, its head lowered somewhat in a sign of respect. Whatever interaction was going on appears to have been at least an honorable match in the creature's eyes.

It pauses a second time near Arus, close enough for the triton to make contact with its head if he chose. While no words are exchanged, there's a clear implication that the creature understood Arus's intent on saving it.

After these two acknowledgements, however, the deer speeds away quickly from the field of battle. Those experienced in tracking might notice it runs faster than most creatures they've ever encountered.

M
M
<Bern>

He lowers his bow a bit so as not to confuse the deer as it headed out to freedom. But he didn't put it away ... yet. There was still a lot that needed sorting out.

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn respectfully inclines his head in the human fashion as Arus graciously steps aside, the Triton of a far more forgiving nature.

"So be it. I am honoured to have you as my second, Arus."

Turning to the leader of the barbarians, the Dragonborn noble sized him up. "Death comes to us all at some point. We who live by violence know and accept this. Though you have handled this... situation... with wisdom, and I would not deprive your people of that."

Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The barbarian leader nods respectfully to Kriv, whom it seems has stepped up. "That will be your choice," he replies.

"I have intentionally sought out an opponent stronger than myself and will fight as long as I am able."

He looks around at the others, particularly Glork. "Should others wish a fight with some of my men, that could probably be arranged? I would not deny them the chance to train in combat against an ogre."

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
Glork

Looks down at Zindra smiling an ogreish smile. "Zinwa?"

AJ Offline
Kriv

Another nod in the human fashion as the leader outlined his reasoning, he understood that need to test oneself against what was out there.

"Iron sharpens iron. I hight Kriv Norixius, of Norixius Keep: With this maul, I have faced down giants, monsters from the depths of sea and land, half a dozen ogres at one time, even drove off a dragon. I trust that is a sufficient challenge. Choose the area of battle and let us begin."

M
M
<Bern>

While he thought it would be an interesting fight to watch, he was going to keep watch on the others in case they plan to use the fight to distract his group.

MikeD
Maris Imperium
OP Offline
Maris Imperium
DM

The leader gestures around him to the area at the end of the ravine where he was already prepared to battle. The barbarians at the end re-hoist their tarp, more to create a natural boundary for the "arena" than to actually obstruct passage. And the barbarians atop the ledge make room for other party members who want to spectate.

They make a lot of room for Glork.

With a nod toward Kriv, the leader readies his greataxe, preparing to begin.

[OOC: keeping the old initiative order here so Kriv goes first; nobody is surprised; nobody has a turn to create readied actions.

If you want to update movements on Roll20 we can, but given the confined space it seems we're probably either in adjacent spaces, or within movement of being adjacent, so I'm expecting a back-and-forth set of attack rolls. LMK if you have other ideas.]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,833
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy