Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phoenix Prime, Miales), 41 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#1038276 Sun 08/01/23 15:37 UTC
Gypsy Offline OP
Wizop
Administrator
OP Offline
Wizop
Administrator
It had been just over a week since that night at the Golden Fleece. Henri and Miranda had been out a couple of times and were getting on well but since the Martial Arts lists went up, the team were heavily involved in practice sessions, taking up much of everyone's spare time. The team had been named as Levon, Guy, Skye and Miranda. Guy is a fierce competitor and his skills were on par with Levon's.

[Linked Image]

Henri, Ian and Emma had signed up as part of the 'supporters team' giving them a place on the coach along with about 5 others, either friends of the team or maybe some who fancied a jolly. Plus there was Mr Harding, Ben the physio and Miss Beech who would be there for the girls.

The competition will start on the Sunday with the first round qualifiers, then Monday would be the semi-finals with the finals on Wednesday, travelling back to York on the Thursday. Accommodation would be provided by Durham in shared rooms in the visitors block, girls in the west wing, boys in the east. Food in the canteen was available free of charge during their stay, competitors and supporters alike.

This is the first time that York have been included in the this competition, something Mr Harding had campaigned for. So their team will only be known by reputation. The other 3 participating universities are obviously Durham, the hosts, Newcastle and Tesside.

Everyone is gathered with luggage in the south car park as the 16 seater minibus pulls into view.

{Skye}

She had one hell of a hangover the day after the Golden Fleece. "Friggin' worth it..." She had mumbled the next day at practice as the hits numbed the heartache that singing hadn't. But the week had gone quickly and now they were ready to take one the world again - this time on the mats.

The minibus pulled into view, and Skye clearly made her statement with a laugh. "I'm not driving this time."

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Emma

Emma was on the coach with the other supporters, wearing school colors, and completely ready to cheer her friends, and the other team members, on to victory. Somehow, though, she suspected the cheer of, We can't be beat, taste our feet, was going to catch on. But who knows? It just might!

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Ian

The rangy dark haired lad walked over in his black coat, school vest on underneath. He smiled at the friends already gathered, stopping next to Emma.

"Should be less rowdy than a football match....unless you start causing mischief." he said with a grin.

Levon
He approached the minibus slightly tardy and saw the others waiting there. "Yeah, I ain't driving this thing either. I still can't figure out which way to look when I'm crossing the street," the kid from Harlem New York added to Skye's declaration. "Do we have a backup plan for when this thing dies on us?" he asks as he glances about the bus with a skeptical frown.

-Nep
Gypsy Offline OP
Wizop
Administrator
OP Offline
Wizop
Administrator
Miranda arrives and grins at the others.

"I'm both excited and nervous. How about you guys?"

She is looking around, trying to spot Henri.

Guy ignores her and edges closer to Levon.

"Been talking to coach and trying to find out more about the other teams. Could be between you and me in the final."

He sounds confident, almost cocky.

Mr Harding and Miss Beech are standing together and consulting a clipboard, ticking people off as they arrive.

"Still a few more to come." He announces.

The drivers climbs out of the bus and moves around to open an outside luggage panel on the side of the bus.

"OK, brings me your bags for stowing as there won't be room in the bus for much."

He sounds cheerful and it is a lovely day. Sun is shining, it is warm, all a marked contrast to their last outing together.

Administrator
Administrator
Henri

He is somewhat late and has to quick march across the car park to the bus where everyone is waiting to board. Dressed in his usual black leather jacket underneath he is wearing a dark red crewneck shirt hanging loose over black jeggings. Spotting Miranda early, he approaches from the other side of the minibus and using other people standing around as cover he slips to her side in hoping to gently surprise her he says slightly out of breath, "Salut!" Whether or not he surprises Miranda, he flashes a smile and adds, "You're looking beautiful today..."

Levon
"Could be," he replied to Guy.

Guy was good and Levon knew it. More than a few of his kicks and punches have landed and they did not tickle. That made Guy a good sparring partner. Although they were a team, during competition, it was a one-on-one event.

"I'm looking forward to kicking your ass!" he said lovially.

-Nep
Gypsy Offline OP
Wizop
Administrator
OP Offline
Wizop
Administrator
Miranda had been looking for Henri but not in the direction he came from. She manages a "Hi" before he pays his compliment, making her blush. To cover up she puts her bag down by the driver.

"Come on.." she threads an arm through Henri's "Let's get on the bus and find a good seat."

Guy looks at Levon and stares.

"Not if I kick yours first."

But it doesn't sound that jovial.

Mr Harding calls out. "Last two are just on their way." He points to two figures in the distance. "Let's get boarded."

{Skye}

She'd packed as efficiently as their last outing, so Skye tossed the overnight bag for the storage part of the coach but kept her backpack. She slid next to Emma and giggled, "Varsity style is back it seems! You look fantastic!"

Skye herself had toned down her own look for a change, opting for a simple tartan skirt in the school colors and a black crop top. She grinned at Ian, "Oh, we love trouble."

Administrator
Administrator
Henri

He follows along with Miranda, dropping off his small backpack too for the driver to store, and letting her enter first. Quickly spotting a pair of seats two rows back from the drivers side, he points and says, "Let's sit here", and will defer to her in taking the window seat.

Levon

He simply cocks his head a bit at Guy's statement, gathered his stuff and boarded the bus.

-Nep
Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Emma

Emma smiled at Skye. "Me? You look like you are going to take name... on and off the mat!" She gave her friend a wink. Clearly Emma had decided to try and start match-making again. And this time Skye might be the one she tried to match up.

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Ian

He grins back and moves to hand over his bag, waiting for the girls and boarding the bus behind them.

Gypsy Offline OP
Wizop
Administrator
OP Offline
Wizop
Administrator
Finally the luggage is stowed, everyone has settled into a seat and they are off! As they travel further north, closer to their last terrifying adventure, this time they can appreciate the beauty of the north east of England. Stark in places, wild but with a beauty of its own. And this time it is summer. so against a backdrop of blue skies, small puffy white clouds and sunshine.

The mood in the bus is cheerful, an undercurrent of excitement even from those not competing as people feel they are escaping the studying and even having a small holiday!

There is a fair amount of traffic on the major dual carriageway of the A1 but no real holdups or accidents so about an hour and three quarters after setting off, they are entering the city of Durham.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

{Skye}

She could tell that Emma was conspiring for something, but Skye laughed and switched subjects. Throughout the trip they giggled and kept comparing fashion notes and bits of celeb gossip from May's Met Ball and what Simbarashe Cha from The NY Times was shooting in streetwear versus what was happening in London, Paris, and Singapore.

And then, of course, there were the latest music trends they all had to share and what they were hoping to be when they all grew up. Phew! One hundred minutes just flew by!

As they drew closer to Durham, Skye began to focus on more than the holiday. She was there to win. But, she did share some mock-ups of her competition gi.

"Of course I need to have a bit of my own flare out there - despite the official guidelines" She nudged Emma and the others gathered around. "I even brought needle and thread to finish them off. Which one do you think gang? Oh, and the red belt is just me fantasizing to be at the top levels."

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Lionhawke; Fri 20/01/23 23:05 UTC.
Administrator
Administrator
Henri

Getting out to see some place different is always exciting, and the company is especially nice sitting beside him. Hearing Skye, he asks in general, "Thought a black belt is the top level?"

{Skye}

"You're right - for most disciplines you have the different degrees of blackbelt at the top." Skye nodded almost sagely. "And the red belt is often a pre-black stage --- I had mine in Taekwondo back in high school. But a red belt can also recognize a grandmaster. Jiu-jitsu follows that path - and I've been concentrating more in that discipline as of late.

"Just don't tell my eomeoni! She'd not be pleased I'm not wholly focused on the traditional Korean arts." The young woman laughed, but kept a very serious look.

Administrator
Administrator
Henri

"I won't tell. I've no idea who or what an eomeoni is", he says with a slight chuckle.

Gypsy Offline OP
Wizop
Administrator
OP Offline
Wizop
Administrator
Miranda is glued to the window, pointing out things to Henri. Then as he talks to Skye, she slips her hand into his, giving his hand a squeeze.

Guy is kneeling on his seat, facing backwards, regaling a couple with stories, all focused on him. They do seem to be interested though.

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Emma

"Well I think red is just your color, and your improvements look fantastic!" Emma grinned at her friend. It looked like she would have to take potential match-making behind the scenes, but that was okay. It gave Skye some plausible deniability.

Jinkies!
{Skye}

"Eomeoni...my mother -- in Korean." Skye laughed. "I won't tell yours either...yet." She slyly nodded towards Miranda and giggled.

"Now!" Switching direction of conversation, as she was wont to do, "Emma says I need to wear red for my date with her..match-up!" It was a silly half-second pause, and Skye hugged her friend teasingly and lovingly. "We'll be crafty."

Administrator
Administrator
Henri

He gives a bit of a sad smile and gently squeezes back when Miranda surprises him as she slips his hand into his, and quietly says to Miranda, "No chance for Skye to get back at me. My mom died shortly after I was born." Not wanting to be so maudlin he adds in a more conspiratorial tone, "But, my older sister is quite the gossip. Better not tell her that though."

Gypsy Offline OP
Wizop
Administrator
OP Offline
Wizop
Administrator
Miranda squeezes his hand again as he mentions his Mom. And adds "I'm good with that" when he mentions his sister.

It is a good atmosphere on the bus. Everyone is upbeat and interested.

Then the bus pulls up outside of what must be a college block. Mr Harding stands, holding onto the back of a seat as the bus is still moving, though you can tell he has good balance.

"Right. We are here. This will be where we stay for the next few days. So I want everyone to get off the bus once it stops and retrieve your luggage. Make sure you don't leave anything on the bus, perhaps you could do a last minute check Miss Beech?"

She nods and smiles at him.

As the bus comes to a standstill he gets off and a girl who had been waiting on the pavement steps up to him to confirm they are the York contingent.

"Hi I'm Hilary" she says brightly. "I'm your liaison at Durham. I'm here to see you settled in and answer any questions you may have."

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gypsy; Wed 25/01/23 14:59 UTC.
Administrator
Administrator
Henri

It's nice to finally arrive, as Henri steps off the bus and wanders a bit to stretch his legs while waiting for the driver to pull out everyone's luggage.

Feeling a bit thirsty and hungry he asks Hilary, "Where's the best place for food?"

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Gypsy, Gypsy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeBaron
TennesseeBaron
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts141,038
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy