Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Barry Mulvihill), 59 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She grins.

"It'll be fun! And Zhu is right. Could be useful for scouting as you could get in anywhere. Do be careful though, wouldn't want the local cat to get its claws into you!"

M
M
<Bern>

"So lets see what we can find in this house. May help us for the evening event."

MikeD
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He is ready to go and adjusts the scabbard on his belt for walking.

"Small furry animal; owl; close proximity. What can go wrong." Arus says with a smirk, standing.

AJ Offline
Kriv

"I'd be lying if I said I knew what was fashionable for human nobles in this town, but we do know someone who does. Let's stop off at the Rossolio estate and see if Artan has garb in the right size suitable for the Golden Goose that Bern could borrow."

M
M
<Bern>

"Whisper has shown more 'sense' than a =lot= of people I have known", he said to Arus. Then grimaced at Kriv's desire to 'dress him up'.

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC:
My draft is over - 3 1/2 hours earlier than last year! Thanks Zeim, you were awesome. And yeah, there were times I felt like final gavel would never come! But it all worked out. 8 hours was record time!

And as for the game...

There are clothing stores surrounding the market square as well as several stalls. You would have seen the styles last night. In fact, many of the patrons of the Pearl Handled Pipe went gambling after dinner.

If you haven't figured this out yet, Yartar is like a medieval Las Vegas.

I will say the following clearly. You have NO idea where this abandoned villa is located in this city.

Gotta love the owl and the mouse getting along so well smile

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Well I play Assassins Creed Odyssey - over 200 hours so far and I'd be surprised if I had reached halfway. In that game my character has an eagle that scouts for him and he can watch through its eyes, bit like Jaliera and Whisper. So could she not send Whisper flying and look for a house that fits this description? smile ]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: I did not say you cannot find it. I said you have NO idea where it is. To be clear, it's a pretty large city (look at the map). There will be more than one place that might be a candidate for this house. It would take time.

I'm going to think about what is a reasonable rule comparison to use as a guideline for a search.

Last edited by Neptune; Sun 21/03/21 16:55 UTC.

-Nep
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: I wanted to gather some opinions from other DMs on this. I'm glad I did. They brought up good points and otherwise aligned with my thoughts on this.

As I said, there will be many buildings that could be candidates. Whisper won't even know what to look for. It really is Jaliera looking through Whisper's eyes that even has a chance. That places some constraints on things. First, Whisper needs to stay within 100 feet of Jaliera. Jaliera is deaf and blind as this is going on so you'll need to work things out.

It'll require Jaliera's perception roll augmented (with advantage) by Whisper's sight. Finding a candidate would be a DC 12 (pretty easy). Jaliera needs to be near enough to the target for this to even matter so I would need a path she takes to do this. If she is close enough and if she makes the perception roll, Jaliera would then need to provide an insight roll that would be more difficult - DC 18 and no advantage. Since there is so much ground to cover, it could take a while. You could get to do this twice per day, or once today since the day is half over.

We can discuss specifics of how you want to approach the idea. There may be other ways to find it but I like the creativity of the approach.

-Nep
M
M
[[ since this is such a 'vague' target and the 'effective range' for Whisper is so limited, it might be more effective for us to just walk around and look ourselves. ]]

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: Mike, you're on the right track but I think you don't have nearly enough info to help narrow the search. Has everyone sought out their contacts in the city? This is a challenge - detective work. Gypsy offered up how Jaliera and Whisper could help. A reminder, all you have to go on right now is the following: Sindar retells the rumor he heard ...

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
One other option is to have Whisper simply fly 100 feet straight up and get a "birds eye view" and see if anything stands out (an isolated building on the outskirts of town, a building that looks somewhat dilapidated, etc.) as a candidate. If not, no time is lost and we can walk around.

M
M
[[ Yup ... as far as Bern is concerned, the 'near term' goal would seem to be the house since there is light now ... not so much at night (when <sigh> 'they' wanna 'dress him up' <shudder>) So heading to the NE part of town to start the house search seems reasonable to him at this point <shrug> And I don't recall Bern having any 'clues'. As to Sindar's 'expose', Bern would have tuned that out when the 'doppleganger' was mentioned <wink> ]]

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: I'll resolve that right now for you. Flying 100 feet up and looking for something that sticks out like a sore thumb has zero chance of success. And note that Bern, Davroar and Jaliera were not there when this was discussed but we can assume that it was shared anew.]

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Well, it does tell us that "nothing sticks out like a sore thumb". A lack of information is in itself information.

M
M
[[ so it sounds like some 'exploration' is needed <g> ]]

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Yes, and/or asking some questions for leads.

M
M
[[ absolutely!!!! ]]

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc: Plan away. Let's get everyone to chime in ideas. So far I have

clothing shopping (who needs to go?)
exploring the city - looking for the villa
Shopping for potions and stuff like that
Have you figured out where the the Grand Dame is? Is it a Carnival Cruise ship or a raft?
Davroar's going in as a critter - Nice alternate plan. Are there other ways to investigate aside from being a patron or a mouse? I'm gonna let you work out a plan.

-Nep
Administrator
Administrator
[ooc: villa has two distinct definitions going by the dictionary.:
1. a large country house of Roman times, having an estate and consisting of farm and residential buildings arranged around a courtyard.
2. (BRITISH) a detached or semidetached house in a residential district, typically one that is Victorian or Edwardian in style.

Can we get a clearer definition of what we are looking for, or do we have to consider both options?

Does "...on the outskirts of town" suggests then that the villa is outside of the city walls? If we consider the first definition, then we should start looking outside of the city walls perhaps close to the rivers edge. ]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: Is it possible that the person that was overheard doesn't have a copy of a dictionary? I would say you should consider both options as well as others.]

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"We might consider dividing up the city and each searching our quadrant? We could cover more this way. Davroar, maybe you could take the form of a large bird for your search?"

She makes another suggestion.

"And if we take a quadrant that includes a contact, then we can check with them as well. Increases our chances."

Last edited by Gypsy; Tue 23/03/21 10:52 UTC.
M
M
<Bern>

"Splitting up is a good idea", agreed with a nod.

[[ anyone have a consolidated list of the contacts?? ]]

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Code
[ooc: Is it possible that the person that was overheard doesn't have a copy of a dictionary?]

(OOC - Everyone has a smartphone these days, don't they?

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 23/03/21 12:52 UTC.
M
M
[[ I don't. Like me - my phone is =really= old ... almost 10 years old now ... ancient history in the history of phones. And like me, it is really tired most of the time now a days <weg> ]]

MikeD
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Neptune
Neptune
New City,NY,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,813
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy