Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
5 members (AquaDyne, Weez, Mina, Phoenix Prime, LaBerge), 43 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He looks at his Triton companion when the question is asked. "I was quite young. I thought of rivers as a place to send your offal down. When I followed the banks and saw the vastness of a sea, I was quite stunned.

"For hours I walked along the shore, breathing in the fresh sea air. It was enchanting. To this day the seashore is one of my most favorite places to go. I imagine that is why I enjoy a 'badger' of the sea. Though if I were to be completely honest, it might just be a way to sample more butter." He smiled at the others still enjoying his seafood delicacies.

AJ Offline
Kriv

The scholar mused the Triton's question thoughtfully, dabbing at his outer fangs with a napkin, and responded,

"The Waterdhavian waterfront. I was but a boy amongst my mother's entourage, as she represented the Keep in some matter of import whose significance did not register with me at the time. It took my breath away, the constant susurration of its motion, the vastness of it to the horizon, the sheer scale of the ships plying trade and yet how tiny and alone they were away from the confines of the harbour. It is but a few generations since my people made the voyage from Laerakond, though given our current geographical situation, there are few sailors among us these days."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: In the spirit of not railroading you but trying to keep you moving forward in the plot, I am OK letting you continue to explore each other's characters together over dinner a bit. At some point, however, you should turn to what you will do next. How do you spend the rest of your evening? Arus, who has spent some time in this city, can take you places, etc. But as you've determined, a lot of what you will do will start in the morning. Tonight might be as simple as hanging out together and spending time trying to overhear some rumors. In the morning you'll probably need to find a way to find the other three members of the party. I am fine running in parallel though until such a point where you've found leads that will reunite you.

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Finishing a bite she places her plate down on a nearby table and dabs delicately at her lips with a napkin then answers Arus.

"As you know I am from the Feywild, Sildëyuir specifically. Growing up there is....., well different. Things. Places and such, are not the same as here. They move from time to time and change frequently. In any case, one morning I rose from reverie and stepped outside only to find a vast ocean whose waves lapped at the door of my home had appeared. I stood entrances, mesmerized by the rhythm of the waves. The sounds of the water approaching and retreating."

She has a distant look in her eyes as she calls forth the memory.

"I was surprised by a splashing a few hundred yards offshore and saw creatures swimming in the waters. I later found out they were Sea Elves, cousins of mine. I had some pleasant journeys into the sea with their guidance."

She pauses a moment then asks, in turn, "So, if you don't mind my asking, what brings you onto the land?"

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 07/12/20 15:55 UTC.
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[I'm happy for Arus to lead onto the next venue. I'd need some pointers though; The only info I have covers pretty pedestrian inns and taverns.]

Arus

To Arus it's interesting to hear of other people's memories of the seeing the sea for the first time.

"Until I was 10 years old, I lived in the Sea of Fallen Stars. The inland sea." He answers Zhu, "My father had a diplomatic role, so I saw much of Myth Nantar, the Shallows and the 'Unfallen Stars', the islands.

"Things changed and I was sent to the ocean deep to live with an aunt. Tritons make extensive use of magical canopies to create dry land underwater but it isn't the same. I think the first time I climbed a hill, looked back and realised I could see the whole town, the whole bay, out to sea, I must've fallen in love with the surface world.

"My return was inevitable."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Dinner was the best that they have had in a long time. The enticing aromas, exotic tastes and the overall ambiance made it a special experience. As they sat there, it was easy to see that after folks finished their dinners, some would climb back up the steps to the lobby. Those folks typically were wearing outer cloaks. But others strolled through one set of double doors that was on the wall opposite the steps. There were also doors in the center of of the other two walls. Those seemed to be mostly for inn staff. The one to the left of the steps appeared to be a kitchen and the one to the right looked like administrative offices, storage areas and restrooms. It wasn't clear what was through the doors that the patrons were going through.

-Nep
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

After they've eaten their fill, Arus nods in the direction of the lobby.

"Looks like there might be a late-night lounge." He says, wiping his hands on the napkin and putting it beside his plate.

"Shall we investigate?"

Arus stands, already knowing his own mind.

AJ Offline
Kriv

"An unpleasant but necessary duty is an excellent follow-up to a surfeit of luxury. Let's go see what we can glean from those who have... overindulged." Conceded the scholar. A moment to check that everything was in order before rising to go alongside the Triton.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Rising she nods. "Seems like a place to begin."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The four sharply dressed adventurers finish up the best meal they have had in a long while and make their way together towards the doors opposite the staircase. The left of the pair of double doors swung open as they approached, a middle aged couple was leaving whatever was on the the other side. The foursome pushed through the door on the right which led them to a long hall that went left and right, but facing them was another set of double doors from which they heard music. At the moment they were deciding where to go, that set of doors opened and the music poured into the hallway as well as the view of the lounge beyond.

The room was large but intimate, dim candle-lit booths lined the perimeter of the lounge around tables that surrounded a small dance and stage. A single glow globe, dimmed by a metal latice outer shell sprayed light onto the dance floor which was unoccupied as the foursome peered in. The room was had the same elegance as the rest of the inn. A crowd of people were behind the stage at a long bar on the far side of the room, opposite the entrance. A four person band was playing a traditional dance tune on a small stage. An forest elf was playing a lute, a thin man with a long beard was fiddling, a dark haired woman was prancing about the stage with a tambourine and she backed up the lead singer, a clean shaven, brown-haired half elf who with a golden voice. A half dozen couples were dancing together to the rhythm of the music.

In all, there were probably about two dozen people in the venue. Some were in the candle-lit booths, others were seated at tables surrounding the dance floor. They were all dressed in fine, clean clothing. It was nice place and it while most of the patrons were clearly guests of the inn, it was likely that locals came here too, to enjoy the drink, music and other entertainment. There are both booths and tables available.

-Nep
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

Looking about he says "we can enjoy the music, but this seems like a place that doesn't support our goals at the moment."

He eyed the band admiring their style, and each individual's skills.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He admires the lounge for what it is; a more refined late-night venue. But it would likely have customers drifting in and out all night.

"Oh, I don't know. I think it could lead places." Arus replies.

He looks to the long bar and nods to Zhu.

"Zhu, try talking to the barman. Ask him where someone new in town might find high-stakes tables and party-girls."

"Sindar, take some drinks over to the band and strike up a conversation after their next set. Thou art looking for high-paid gigs, late night.

"Kriv and I will circulate, see what we can pick up."

The triton has no better ideas than that. Simple and to the point.

"Does that work for you?" He asks his companions.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

One eyebrow lifts and a hint of a smile plays at her lips. "And party boys", she adds. But she nods and moves off to talk to the barman.

AJ Offline
Kriv

The noble scion inclined his head at the eminently sensible suggestion, and began scanning the clientele for any with whom there might be common ground to exploit, perhaps others of his kind given this establishment was no stranger to catering to them. Otherwise, the trappings of ennoblement, signet rings and the like, peers and social equivalents.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"That seems quite reasonable to me." Though he has no idea what the band would like to drink, he tries to guess from looking at the stage and places he might put a drink during an act.

Once he has a couple of ideas, he looks for a waitress to start his process of setting things up.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: Let me get an Investigation check. DC is variable. Just an FYI your mods are: Arus -1, Zhu 0, Kriv +3, Sindar +3. So 1d20+mod (or minus).

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu Investigation
Zeim rolled d20 and got 16

AJ Offline
Kriv investigation
AJ rolled 1d20+3 and got 10

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Arus rolled a 15 total]

Arus

He inclines his head at Zhu. Quite so and just what he'd hope to hear.

Meanwhile Arus leans against the bar and scans the opposite direction to Kriv.

He's looking for an attractive female to catch his eye.

Last edited by nemarsde; Mon 21/12/20 09:05 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

Sindar Investigation Check
Pandemonium rolled 1d20+3 and got 22

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Several hours of mingling and talking to others in the night club provide rumors and information. By the time the quartet is ready to settle in for the night, they have each learned different things from their detective work. At the end of the night they found themselves back at the same table, about a gold piece less affluent, but with information to share.
OOC: See PMs.

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Once they have all regathered, she nods to each and since none other have started, she begins relating what she's learned.

"First, watch your coin. Apparently there is an all-female Thief's guild here called the 'Hand of Yartar' and they are well known pickpockets."

She pauses, then continues. "In any case, it seems word of our own events has reached here. I overheard tales about the Fire Giant attack on Triboar as well as the Hill Giant attack on our caravan."

"It also seems there's a place we might find the others. They say adventurers and frontier folk love the atmosphere of Belabar's Rest, although apparently it's not easy to find."

She doesn't bother relating the comment she heard about how to win a free drink as it doesn't seem important at the moment.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Once Zhu has finished, the Dragonborn begins going through his findings.

"Aside from those extolling the virtues of Yartar's fish sandwiches and the bread of the Gateway Bakery, there's a fair bit that may be relevant, if nothing else confirming what we heard earlier."

He raised a talon and began, "There's definitely something odd going on politically. Even though Nestra Ruthiol's term as Water Baron is a lifelong appointment, she's having problems. There might be a way in there. This tallies with what our sponsor shared earlier."

A second talon, "There is trouble afoot in Everlund. Caravans headed east face unspecified dangers. I'm aware that Everlund abruptly left the Lords Alliance recently, it seems logical the two are related."

A third, "It is said that Hasklar's arms and armor is guarded by ghosts. Having negotiated with a Banshee at considerable cost I'm willing to lend credence to the possibility, but as a student of the Art, it could be that their stock is being animated as an efficient night watch. Either way, something to bear in mind, given the potential risks of active undead in an urban centre."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

The triton gathers with the others at a low table in the lobby, with comfy leatherbound seats. At this time of night it's quiet.

He nods at Zhu's mention of the Hand of Yartar.

"Aye, tis true and on the morrow I shall quiz Scimitar Sally about it. She is one of the Hand's number and it's rumoured they carried out the hit on the Waterbaron's lover."

He leans forward in his chair, raising an eyebrow as he asks Zhu, Sindar and Kriv:

"The Hand of Yartar might just be hired hands though. Did you hear aught about a 'Kraken Society', operating here in town?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She shakes her head simply. "Nothing on that subject crossed my path."

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Gypsy
Member Spotlight
Tusk
Tusk
Warboys, Huntingdon
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,844
Posts140,767
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy