Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 65 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Thread Like Summary
Art in the Blood, Vryx
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1066758 09/07/2023 10:59 PM
by Mina
Mina
Anyone else interested in the newest changes taking place?

From one site I saw, you choose your Class before your Species (Race as a term is gone). And the background system is going to be greatly expanded and revamped. A few of the tradition "main" classes and a bunch of subclasses for each.

From Wargamer.com here is some interesting bits. Not sure how I feel about Half-Elves though, to be honest.

Wizards has been sharing playtest material for One D&D basically since the revision was announced. So far, we’ve seen that – as expected – a deeper DnD backgrounds system will play a bigger role in dictating your character’s particulars than which DnD race they’re from. In fact, in December 2022 Wizards shared it’d had the term race removed from the game entirely, switching to ‘species’ for future playtest material.

Wizards has also tested the water with some potential rules changes (see more detail below), including tweaking how D20 critical successes and failures work. Overall, One DnD playtest satisfaction scores have been particularly positive – with only a few outliers like the One DnD playtest Dragonborn needing further workshopping. Wizards has also been addressing potentially controversial content, acknowledging Monk stereotypes and removing half-elves and orcs from the new core rules.

I am curious to what everyone's thoughts are. I am intrigued, and a bit worried to be honest. But, will I buy it? The two core books (Players and DMs), definitely.
Liked Replies
#1066810 Sep 8th a 11:32 AM
by nem
nem
Well, Hasbro have stated quite openly that they want to increase profits by 50% in the short term and that D&D is "under monetized" to use their own words.

So I think it's safe to say that One D&D will herald a more exploitative business model that is more expensive for the customer. As customers, we'll have to decide where we stand and whether it's good value for us, just like with modern "live service" computer games, loot boxes, season passes, etc..

As a gamer, what do I think of One D&D so far? I'm underwhelmed tbh. Wizards have said it will essentially be a tweaked version of 5e, compatible with the previous version, and that's similar to the revisions we've seen in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

So far I haven't seen the justification for this new edition. Sure, they've said they're removing problematic content like "races", the discrimatory "half-elves" and "half-orcs" but this political correctness looks like virtue signalling to me. On it's own, it's not justification for a new version. It's moralistic slight of hand. The only practical justification I've seen so far is simply that they want to make D&D more profitable.

That involves discontinuing usage of the Open Gaming Licence ver 1.0 for D&D and designing it so it relies on their proprietary VTT.

I expect we'll see more aura abilities in One D&D, for example. Radial effects that emanate from a character, overlap with other auras and are hard to track without a VTT. Since Roll20 and other third parties won't be able to use One D&D (my assumption, not officially announced afaik), gamers will be forced onto Wizards' VTT.

TL;DR? So far the only reason to buy One D&D is so I'm not exposed to upsetting concepts like race and prejudice... but I'm a grown-up, I live in the real world. I can handle those things!
2 members like this
#1066910 Sep 9th a 04:11 PM
by Pandemonium
Pandemonium
I think every system has some level of creep if they put out splat books. Publishers need to put out books to make money. There are newer methods, VTTs for example, but in the end...

I have been playing D&D since it was Chainmail, so I have seen a few editions. Some I liked more than others. There are aspects to 5e that I enjoy. Stranger and I still play AD&D, he doesn't want to learn a new edition. grin But One feels like a money grab, especially after Wizards "give all the money to us" adjustment of their license. I know it was walked back, but the idea that D&D is under capitalized, while it might be true, is not an idea I will support.

I get to vote with my money. I vote for less BS, namby, pamby, politic-ing junk. I agree with Nem, I am adult and can choose what to have in my games or not, Half-EVERYTHING, if I want.

Mostly though after a few years of doing this, I find that the mechanics have to be interesting to merit application at the table. If they get in the way, then I am not going to put forth the energy, money, and whatever it might take.

Call me an old **** but I get to choose. grin
1 member likes this
#1066933 Sep 9th a 07:23 PM
by MikeD
MikeD
[[ Call me an old **** but I get to choose. ]]

You don't have to be old to 'choose' what you want from a game! That is one of the reasons that there are so =very- many games out there <weg>

Find the ones you like and enjoy the heck out of them!! That is what it is all about!!
1 member likes this
#1067469 Sep 13th a 07:21 PM
by Zeim
Zeim
I suppose I am mostly a traditionalist. Forex, the idea of a huge, brutish Elf with terrible Dexterity, low Intelligence, and low Charisma, but great strength just seems like too much of a stretch. Just create an Orc or human Barbarian and be done. You lose the flavor of the race by making everyone the same. The idea you can have anti-archetypes (to me) is pointless. But then I am not a player who is in the game to role play angst and such.

I have no trouble with the Feat based on background, but letting every race pick and choose which stats they get bumps to dilutes the racial stereotypes (and, BTW, was the main benefit of choosing a human pc). While some may think racial stereotyping is bad, I don't. D&D is not intended to be a melting pot where every race ends up with the same cross-section of stats.

Half-orcs are strong, Elves are graceful and smart, Dwarves have great constitution, Halflings are small, etc. Tradition. A 6'5" Halfling? No thank you.
1 member likes this
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
nem
nem
GMT 0
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,793
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy