I think every system has some level of creep if they put out splat books. Publishers need to put out books to make money. There are newer methods, VTTs for example, but in the end...

I have been playing D&D since it was Chainmail, so I have seen a few editions. Some I liked more than others. There are aspects to 5e that I enjoy. Stranger and I still play AD&D, he doesn't want to learn a new edition. grin But One feels like a money grab, especially after Wizards "give all the money to us" adjustment of their license. I know it was walked back, but the idea that D&D is under capitalized, while it might be true, is not an idea I will support.

I get to vote with my money. I vote for less BS, namby, pamby, politic-ing junk. I agree with Nem, I am adult and can choose what to have in my games or not, Half-EVERYTHING, if I want.

Mostly though after a few years of doing this, I find that the mechanics have to be interesting to merit application at the table. If they get in the way, then I am not going to put forth the energy, money, and whatever it might take.

Call me an old **** but I get to choose. grin