Well, Hasbro have stated quite openly that they want to increase profits by 50% in the short term and that D&D is "under monetized" to use their own words.

So I think it's safe to say that One D&D will herald a more exploitative business model that is more expensive for the customer. As customers, we'll have to decide where we stand and whether it's good value for us, just like with modern "live service" computer games, loot boxes, season passes, etc..

As a gamer, what do I think of One D&D so far? I'm underwhelmed tbh. Wizards have said it will essentially be a tweaked version of 5e, compatible with the previous version, and that's similar to the revisions we've seen in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

So far I haven't seen the justification for this new edition. Sure, they've said they're removing problematic content like "races", the discrimatory "half-elves" and "half-orcs" but this political correctness looks like virtue signalling to me. On it's own, it's not justification for a new version. It's moralistic slight of hand. The only practical justification I've seen so far is simply that they want to make D&D more profitable.

That involves discontinuing usage of the Open Gaming Licence ver 1.0 for D&D and designing it so it relies on their proprietary VTT.

I expect we'll see more aura abilities in One D&D, for example. Radial effects that emanate from a character, overlap with other auras and are hard to track without a VTT. Since Roll20 and other third parties won't be able to use One D&D (my assumption, not officially announced afaik), gamers will be forced onto Wizards' VTT.

TL;DR? So far the only reason to buy One D&D is so I'm not exposed to upsetting concepts like race and prejudice... but I'm a grown-up, I live in the real world. I can handle those things!