Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Message Gaming
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Neptune, Phoenix Prime), 4 guests, and 28 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games List
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Games List.
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
SKT: The Storm King's Thunder
Fri 15/11/19 20:51 UTC
MikeD,

First, I didn't dismiss it. I said that Whisper can speak fey owl, whatever that is.

Second, I guess that you didn't carefully read the "ask". Jaliera communicates with Whisper telepathically within 100 feet. Zeim was trying to get Whisper to do scouting over a much greater distance. That's why I nixed the request.

So yes. Jaliera can and has often communicated with her familiar.
185 1,655 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 20:37 UTC
OK ... go ahead and dismiss what I suggested above. But then that begs the question ... what is the point of a familiar that cannot 'converse' with it's 'partner'???

Just asking <weg>
185 1,655 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 20:18 UTC

(OOC - BTW guys, this is the kind of discussion that Nep and my FTF group could argue over during a game session for hours.)

And the only way I can squash the debate and get back to playing is by uttering the following words...

"The Evil DM has made his decision and it's final."

As Gypsy said, nice try smile
185 1,655 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 19:58 UTC
I read that discussion thread, Nep, and the thing most of the comments miss is that the familiar is not an animal. In the very first message they mention that it is a spirit (celestial, fey or other), but then they continue on talking about the limitations of an actual animal, such as a Raven being able to mimic speech but not talk yet it being very intelligent.

That misses the point entirely. A Familiar is NOT an animal. It is a completely different creature who has simply taken on a common form. Discussing whether a normal Raven is intelligent or can speak is meaningless. It is what it can understand and then communicate telepathically to its Wizard.

For example, if Davroar changed into a Bear he would lose the ability to speak because a Bear does not have the physically complex vocal chords required to do more than growl. However, if he was standing among the party he does not lose the ability to understand what others are saying when they speak simply because he is in Bear form. If he could communicate telepathically there would be no reason people could not speak to him in Common and he replied telepathically.

That is what I am wondering whether a Familiar could do.

If it does not understand common, and there is a magical "Universal Translator" that allows Jaliera to communicate with it telepathically, even though they don't speak a common language, then fine. But the fact it "looks" like an Owl means very little.

Since it can understand Jaliera's telepathic communication it is, by definition, intelligent enough to understand communication and meaning. The question really (to me) simply comes down to a language thing.

As a different example, if Jaliera were to cast the Tongues spell on the familiar it should be able to talk to anyone (the spell description pretty clearly states it works on any creature), which supports the idea that it may be nothing more than a language thing.

(OOC - BTW guys, this is the kind of discussion that Nep and my FTF group could argue over during a game session for hours.)
185 1,655 Read More
YTZ: Yahtzee!
Fri 15/11/19 19:35 UTC
Woohoo! Will do! smile Welcome back!
26 36,711 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 19:22 UTC
Great to have you back! smile
26 36,711 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 18:58 UTC
awesome to see you back with us Alduin!
26 36,711 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 18:51 UTC
It's been a while.. but looking at easing back into DL world.
Please sign me up for the next regular and next triple yahtzee game. (1 each)
26 36,711 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 18:38 UTC
Nice try guys! lol
185 1,655 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 18:35 UTC
LOL. I would say that there's a chance it speaks Fey "owl" language, not the same language that a fairy speaks. We'll stick with the ruling that it can only take telepathic commands from Jaliera and let her see and hear through it's eyes and ears.
185 1,655 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 18:34 UTC
Gypsy's Turn 5

Code
5 3 6 4 3 -- Reroll 3
3 ---------- Reroll 3

Score: 23456

High straight column 2
5 79 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 18:32 UTC
Turn 4 Results

Code
eclaasse  16666 - col 3 - 6s - 72
Gypsy     56666 - col 2 - 5s - 60
Weez      22566 - col 1 - 2s -  4

Scores after current round
Code
eclaasse 303
Gypsy    264
Weez     108

And eclaasse extends her lead! smile
5 79 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 18:07 UTC
Gypsy's Turn 4

Code
4 4 6 1 5 -- Reroll 4 1
2 2 -------- Reroll 4 5 6
2 1 3

Score: 12223

Three 2s smile
14 82 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 17:59 UTC
If it is a few spirit in the form of an owl, I would say that it at least understands 'fey'. If there is a direct 'mental' connection between the two, I would say that thoughts is thoughts. But that is just me <weg>
185 1,655 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 17:26 UTC
DM

Whisper flies around the room and the surrounding area. There is nobody here and no surprise dangers.
113 831 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 17:21 UTC
I would say no. It circumvents the limits that the 100 feet distance is all about. And if we're talking about an owl, what language does it speak? Even a fey owl?

DnD Beyond forum discussion on the matter

BTW, there are many other similar discussion and all agree.
185 1,655 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 17:17 UTC
A question about Jaliera's Familiar, Whisper. Since Whisper is not actually an Owl, but rather a Fey spirit in the form of an Owl, does it understand what others in the party are saying when they speak? Jaliera can communicate with it telepathically, but can she also speak to it and have it understand her? Just wondering whether it can understand speech, including other's speech.

So, for example, Jaliera can see and hear thru it's eyes and ears if it is within 100 feet of her, but lets say she sends it ahead to scout and while it is a mile or so away it encounters a group of people. If it sits and listens to them could it come back to Jaliera and tell her what they said?
185 1,655 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 16:53 UTC
Jaliera

She gets Whisper to fly around the room scouting. She has an arrow nocked in readiness.
113 831 Read More
SIX: 6 Takes
Fri 15/11/19 16:48 UTC
Round 5 Turn 4

TURN START POSITION
Code
 START                          BUST   CURRENT
 CARD                           ROW    ROW TOTAL
   V                             V
 -----------------------------------
|     |     |     |     |     |  x  |   
|   1 |   2 |   3 |   4 |   6 | xxx |     5
|  32 |  36 |  38 |     |     | xxx |     3
|  42 |  47 |  50 |     |     | xxx |     5
|     |     |  *3 |     |     |  x  |
|  49 |  62 |  97 |  98 |     | xxx |     4

Play in order of lowest card first:

Weez 40*3
Argus 65*2
Aqua 66*5
AJ 67

Weez has an easy play and takes it, happy to relax now! smile

The other three get very close together and rush for the two remaining spots on row 3. Argus and Aqua cram in, breathing heavily whilst AJ gets left out into the cold to the tune of 12 points! Thanks guys! rolleyes

Next choices via PM please.
7 55 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 15:49 UTC
<Bern>

He remained in the hall, bow at the ready, protecting the passageway while the others were 'checking out things in the rooms.
113 831 Read More
HWD: The Heartwood
Fri 15/11/19 15:42 UTC
Lyric

The laughter was contagious and Lyric was mesmerized by the many children running around. it was the purest definition of Chaos she could imagine. She tried to fathom her own memories from so long ago, hoping to capture just a hint or fragment of the emotions she must have felt when she was this young. So long ago. When time was young it seemed. When the world was breaking.

The joyous laughter and the screeching and the high pitched, piercing cries of surprise, real and feigned, crowded her thoughts. But lyric wouldn't trade it right now. She watched from the edges as chase the Mouse consumed all the energy in the room. When her eyes glanced across Niz, she came back to look at her for a moment. What has her connection to the clock...

Lyric shook her head to force the errant thoughts of problems and realities away. This was a moment for happiness and revelry. Let Chaos have it's place and time.
26 204 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 14:54 UTC
Zhuirentel Elendaril

She waits in the hallway as the others check on the room. She seems a bit more relaxed and casual than some of the others.
113 831 Read More
ACR: ACRO
Fri 15/11/19 14:28 UTC
PM sent , I think

Shamrock
7 34 Read More
Fri 15/11/19 13:32 UTC
DM
The bear pushes open the doors and walks into the next area and looks about. Luminmorn follows with Sildar, both with weapons drawn, but there is only silence. They move to the burned out structure that the Forge of Spells was in and open the door. It is still there, intact, unharmed as far as they can tell.

Luminmorn says after looking at the artifact "It would seem that if the doppleganger and his associates were here, they did little more than use the Forge. We will need a better way to guard it."
113 831 Read More
ACR: ACRO
Fri 15/11/19 03:27 UTC
I PM'd something in.
7 34 Read More
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20
Newest Members
Kenderlocks, Rae, jixiaolanhe, Altumarret, Quantumphear
141 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums98
Topics2,381
Posts204,039
Members141
Most Online206
Nov 4th, 2012
November
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Message Gaming. DreamLyrics Message Gaming does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy