Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Phoenix Prime, AquaDyne, Barry Mulvihill), 34 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Wolf #862217 Wed 28/09/16 12:38 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He had not found anything of real interest at the market just bought a small tool to add to his smithing set and a few basic clothes items, though he did chat to the sellers. Carrying his packages, he catches up with Mikal and the newcomer.

"Hi Mikal. Saw you making some purchases. Bought anything of interest?"

He nods to the newcomer.

Wolf #862218 Wed 28/09/16 12:57 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Pietro and Cesare on the stairs between the Watchtower and the Mill

"Hello Cesare. Cesare, this is Pietro", he nods towards the man next to him. "A Squire of Rames. Pietro, Cesare, one of my companions."

At the following question he just shrugs. "A couple of new tunics to replace the ones I have that have more holes than cloth and some sweets. Nothing else of note. How about you?"

Last edited by Zeim; Wed 28/09/16 13:02 UTC.
Wolf #862221 Wed 28/09/16 13:07 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He adds a smile as the newcomer is introduced.

"Hi Pietro, travelled far?"

Then he turns to Mikal.

"Didn't we have a Squire of Rames with us before? Dean? And I bought a small tool and a few items of clothing too. Some of mine were threadbare too.. and blood stained."

The latter is said quite cheerfully.

Wolf #862232 Wed 28/09/16 14:25 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: I'm gonna tattle on you people... hardly even remembering our delightful Squire Dean! For shame! grin]

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wolf #862245 Wed 28/09/16 16:25 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Yes. Squire Dean. And don't forget Squire Conrad, though his presence among us was even briefer than Dean's."

He glances towards Pietro to see if the names mean anything to him.

He nods at the second comment. "Yes. Those Lizard creatures gushed blood. The only good thing about fighting them in those water filled corridors was it washed most of the blood off before it had time to set. But mine were like yours."

Wolf #862267 Wed 28/09/16 23:20 UTC
Pietro

The squire of Rames nodded his acknowledgement of Cesare's greeting, taking in the man's appearance and clothing and thinking, Rhoni?

He was not sure.

"Well met, Cesare. Yes, I have been roaming the Heartwood for over eight years now."

"Squires Dean and Conrad?" Pietro frowned and searched his memory.

"The names are vaguely familiar but I am not sure. Did you know their patronymic... their father's names?"

He thought another moment.

"About how old were they?"

But then Mikal's comments registered on him and his eyes widened.

"Lizard creatures? Where did you run across such monsters?"

Wolf #862288 Thu 29/09/16 11:47 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

His face takes on a contemplative expression as he searches his memory (i.e. as I search thru the back threads wink ). With Jvrillians' memories being critical to a group who doesn't believe in writing, the information soon comes back to him and he repeats it in a particular tone.

"Squire Conrad Shannon, of the Rock. We met him on the way to Cragside. And Squire Dean Marguard of Talesan. We met him on the Brementown road."

His face comes back to the present and he considers the second question. It is possible that Khorall Larsen asked them to leave because he did not want them to stir up the contention among the farmers and fishermen of the village. Were he to tell a Squire of Rames that there were abominations in the sewers beneath the village Pietro might feel obliged to flush them out, and Lord Larsen might not be very happy. That would be a poor way to repay the man for his gifts.

So he simply shrugs at Pietro. "We were rescuing a kidnapped girl and found her being held by Lizard beasts. We slew them all. I had one of their heads in a sack, but I threw it away. Bloody affair."

He glances at Cesare, hoping he understands why he is being vague.

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 29/09/16 22:45 UTC.
Wolf #862301 Thu 29/09/16 14:20 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"And this wasn't the first time, we also found giant lizards under a temple and near a bridge.. though I still don't really understand what happened at the bridge that last night."

He had caught Mikal's glance and tries a diversionary tactic, preferring to offer truth wherever possible.

"We seem to attract trouble. So consider yourself warned Pietro."

He sounds in good spirit though, an almost teasing note to his voice.

"And I am feeling fairly hungry."

A not unusual state for the Rhoni.

"I tried one of those skewers but never got around to trying the main event."

Wolf #862352 Thu 29/09/16 21:51 UTC
Pietro

Pietro frowned and shrugged after considering what Mikal told him.

"Can't say that I remember either name right off the top of my head. It's quite possible, though, that both of them took their training after I was out and about, wandering the land with Djinni."

He smiled at Cesare's statement.

"I have attracted my share of trouble, too, but none of the reptile variety."

His eyes widened.

"I could eat a bite myself."

Wolf #862385 Fri 30/09/16 00:51 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Meanwhile, Kadri has been seeing about having the repast prepared ...

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest
Restday, the Fifth Day of Yrick

Kadri, Cesare, Mikal, Pietro, and a cast of a handful... maybe

Missus Heatherson’s frown would lighten, but only a little bit, as she noted that her possible guests had dwindled down to one. She looked up to the Dama Korie as Mikal lead Cesare and Pietro away, choosing to climb the stairs back up to the watchtower.

She nodded to one of her daughters, who in turn placed another setting on the table. It didn’t take much longer – about the same time Mikal paused on the stair landing – for the goodwife to turn to her Lord’s proclaimed wife.

“Well then, Dama, come join us. The fare may be too simple for thine tastes, but it’s good and filling.”

And it was – a meat pie that all shared, some roast hart brought in by the Forest Folk the day before, garnished with some vegetables and mushrooms gotten at today’s market and set out before they would spoil. Of course, there was bread, cheese and a small cask water from one of the farther streams so it was fresh, clean and even a bit cool.

“...now this was a proper Market day. I hope ye found all what thou was looking for, ja?”

For Mikal, it was a path that he had taken many times before... up the long switchback stairs, past the Mill, and to the small house at the base of the watchtower. Inside they found two men in what would at best be considered Korie informal wear, though one was at least a little more proper. This one sat at the central table writing a missive on his parchment. His surcoat was clean and bore the House colors and next to him were several more pieces of parchment covered in carefully crafted letters. The second man had two tasks. One was to make sure the big pot of stew in the hearth didn’t burn. The second task was unpacking a bushel and bag of groceries, stacking them carefully on a set of shelves taking up one wall. Hanging next to the shelves was a second Korie surcoat, this one a day or two away from the laundry.

The hearth keeper looked at the newcomers with bored speculation and offered a slightly surprised and positively droll greeting.

“Cor, I never expected one of you to be sent here. I thought you high an’ mighty types were too good to be gettin’ in trouble with the up and up back at the Keep.”

Of course, he didn’t mean Mikal... but the Squire.

Then the one writing looked up.

“Oh my, is this true? Are we are graced by the presence of a representative from the Cathedral? Certainly, you have come with a letter begging my return to Talantal, aye? If not, I have these letters surely proving that my assignment to this place was an egregious mistake! You will take them back with you, correct? Of course, you will!”

From above there came a third voice.

“Quiet down there, you are disturbing my sunset!”

The grumpy one just shook his head,

“It’s just the Jvrillian and his Rhoni. And they’ve acquired a Squire-like bloke.”

From above came a lazy response, one with obviously well-considered priorities.

“Huh.

“Is the stew ready yet?”

Wolf #862391 Fri 30/09/16 01:54 UTC
Pietro

The Squire of Rames followed Mikal's lead up the long switchback stairs, past the Mill, and to the small house at the base of the watchtower. He paused just inside the door to the house, allowing his eyes to adjust to the difference in relative illumination. When the hearth person spoke, Pietro's gaze moved to him and his normally pleasant expression became more reserved, more neutral.

"Pardon me, but I was not sent. I came of my own inclination and I consider myself neither high nor mighty. I would advise you to be more careful in your assumptions."

His attention turned to the other one, the one who blathered, and Pietro opened his mouth to retort but then closed it, deciding the man's logorrhea was unworthy of comment. He turned to Mikal and there was an element of incredulity in his tone when he spoke.

"Are these friends of yours?"

Wolf #862473 Fri 30/09/16 18:54 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

As often happened when she slipped into thinking out loud, she slipped back to a bit of a heavier Amber accent in her speech.

"'Simple fare' is much better than elegant dishes I can't even name served at a table with people half of whom I can't even stand. And 'simple fare'is much like what I ate back at the Inn. Filling food without fancy to it, but which you could go half a day on without another meal. Which tasted all the better for having earned it with your own work. But..."

She sighs.

"I guess I didn't realize that I'd be invading your own dinner to do this. There is no need to set a place for me, Missus Heatherson - and when my guests show up I will deal with them on my own. I will apologize to them and figure out arrangements. I can wield a paring knife and peel a potato if it comes to it. Done it before. Good time to think."

She bites her lip.

"I really do hate this whole noble thing, you know. Hated it the first time and I'm don't find myself any more fond of it now. Saying 'good morning' and having a soul call you by your name rather than by some title is a treat - believe me. When you put on a title it's as if you put on a mask. No one sees YOU anymore. On the plains, as a child, I was a bauble - like beads to be traded at the market for whatever it was my family really wanted. A line on a breeding chart. Escaped that, got to be normal, and now I'm right back in that noose. Now, it is expected for me to put on airs and act like a perfect ass to people who I am most assuredly no better than."

She sits down with her back against the wall and curls her knees up under her chin, her arms hugging her legs in a pose she has used since she was a little girl. Her deep thinking pose. As if she were looking at puzzle pieces scattered on the floor and trying to figure out a way to create a picture she liked from them instead of the one that came on the front of the box.

"Then there is this whole matter of the dead Imperial in the market I find out about, and lo and behold, a knight of Rames shows up. An Imperial, here. Now. A Coincidence? I don't know. But it looks to me that the folk in the market were in the right and I cannot allow harm to come to this place because of it, so I have to find out one way or the other …"

Here she slows, breathes out heavily, and shakes her head ruefully.

"... And I babble. Apologies again, Missus Heatherson. My problems most assuredly should not be yours. Your problems walk on two legs, and have beautiful smiles."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sun 02/10/16 14:29 UTC.
Wolf #862480 Fri 30/09/16 21:16 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He chuckles at the exchange. "Just met them day before yesterday. They are the garrison here, if you can call it that, though for the most part their duties seem to be writing letters of complaint", he nods his head towards the man at the desk, "cooking", he nods towards the man at the stewpot, "and admiring the sunsets", he tips his head up towards the opening above. "Thomas, Jerris, and Mikkie, in that order."

"In any case, there a free bunk in the corner." He nods towards it. "Cesare and I sleep elsewhere."

Wolf #862498 Fri 30/09/16 23:38 UTC
Pietro

"Ah..." he said, dragging out the syllable as he frowned in thought.

Pietro started to ask where it was that Mikal and Cesare slept but decided to refrain from asking... perhaps there was some reason the Jvrillian did not volunteer that information and had rather suggested the squire doss here instead.

He shrugged mentally, not too sanguine about sleeping in a room with the men he'd just met there, but not wanting to intrude on whatever situation Mikal and Cesare perhaps wanted to keep private.

Pietro decided to change the subject.

"So, did you intend for us to eat here or back with Dama Kadri at the townswoman's quarters?"

Wolf #862501 Fri 30/09/16 23:47 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"I had expected to take Kadri up on her invitation to dinner. Once you drop off your gear we can head that way."

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 30/09/16 23:47 UTC.
Wolf #862508 Fri 30/09/16 23:58 UTC
Pietro

The squire nodded and put his gear over in the corner of the room beside the bed Mikal had pointed out.

"Then let us go eat."

Wolf #862514 Sat 01/10/16 00:10 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
OOC: I guess I need a post in response to Kadri's post at least before the three of you arrive to make things fit decently.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sun 02/10/16 03:35 UTC.
Wolf #862553 Sat 01/10/16 13:49 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
There were 3 of us sad

Wolf #862561 Sat 01/10/16 14:48 UTC
Pietro

The squire's eyes widened and he paused just before exiting the room and turned back to where he'd dropped his gear, having to sidestep to avoid bumping into Cesare as he did so.

"Sorry, uh... Cesare."

Pietro bent down and picked up a haversack, shaking his head slightly as he did so.

"I almost left Miss Lyric's gear here with my own," he said, realizing finally her gesture to check back with him earlier when she'd left with Keiko and the Lady of Attera.

"We'd better hurry or there won't be anything left for us to eat."

Wolf #862566 Sat 01/10/16 15:06 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Ooc: I know, genuine typo there, sorry.

Wolf #862635 Sun 02/10/16 16:31 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest
Restday, the Fifth Day of Yrick

Kadri, Cesare, Mikal, Pietro and the Heathersons

“Cor, lassie... that ain’t the way of the world.”

Missus Heatherson did not take Kadri’s advice and not place out a setting for her. There, at one end of the table — opposite its head and traditionally the spot for an honored guest — she placed the setting for Kadri.

“Now sit. Ye can’t escape being a noble by just sayin’ so. And the day you accept that will be the day you’ll not hate it anymore. Just like I will not have someone at my table not sittin’ at it like a ruff beggin’ for scraps.”

It was interesting, and a glimpse into the commoner’s life. Her family sat, Kadri sat, but she didn’t. Her task seemed to be to ensure everyone got their meal; she did not appear to begrudge it, she merely accepted it as just the way things are.

“Bein’ Noble donnae stop the Young Master from bein’ good; he doesn’t hate it one bit. In fact, as best we can tell, he seems to enjoy it more than most.

“And he’s our Young Master because he’s less concerned about himself gettin’ a place at a dinner table than makin’ sure we all have meat and vegetables in our stew pot to be havin’ a dinner in the first place.

“And that’s why he’s not just the Young Master, he’s our Young Master.”

Missus Heatherson paused to take a sample of her own offerings, sitting next to the hearth with a small wooden bowl.

“Right now ye are still riding thine husband’s horse. When are ye going to be ridin’ on thine own?”

At the Watchtower, the discussion was very different and definitely much shorter. Jerris and Thomas watched as the two dropped off their gear and headed back down the path and past the mill. The doors to the mill were shut. Just as the three were hurrying to their meal, it was obviously dinnertime for the Millers and their guests.

Mikal set the direction and Pietro ensured that they increased their pace and were direct in their travels to their destination.

Cesare followed, the Rhoni a bit out of place in the wake of the two soldiers. If Keiko had to describe it, the young man was like a cork in a storm being tossed from wave to wave, and not in a kind manner.

Returning to the Heatherson’s farmhouse, opening the door they would find the family and Kadri in the middle of their repast. Kadri sat on one end of the table, Master Heatherson at the other. Missus Heatherson looked up from the hearth as she saw the three newcomers; one more than she had feared, though the third got an odd tilt of her head followed by a shake of her head. She scooted her children away so there was room for three more settings.

The dinner was meat pie and hart, with mushrooms and vegetables.

And finally, for dinner, the four travelers were gathered together.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 02/10/16 16:33 UTC.
Wolf #862653 Sun 02/10/16 23:09 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri took her words in relative quiet, exchanged a few more compliments on her children - and when the others arrive soon her stood and introduced them to the Heathersons.

'These are Mikal, my bodyguard and trusted friend. Cesare also my trusted friend - they have shared life and death with me and I trust them in all things. This gentleman over here who I have only just met, is Pietro, a squire of Rames, who has only just arrived here."

Wolf #862662 Mon 03/10/16 01:15 UTC
Pietro

He smiled and nodded his acknowledgment to the mistress of the house and gave a modified version of his normal salute to the wife of Dominic Korie.

"The food smells wonderful. Your hospitality is most appreciated."

Pietro placed Lyric's haversack against the wall where he could keep an eye on it and waited for Kadri to sit before he would take a seat of his own.

Wolf #862676 Mon 03/10/16 11:47 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

"First appreciation to missus Heatherson and her meat pies, and the use The family table."

She nods towards her and her family.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Phoenix Prime
Phoenix Prime
Sanger Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,842
Posts140,919
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy