Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phoenix Prime, Asta), 24 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Wolf #861676 Thu 22/09/16 00:13 UTC
[OOC: Pietro, like Mikal, is already afoot.]

Pietro

"I have met my share of folk of your... persuasion."

Pietro paused and frowned, not particularly pleased with his choice of words.

"And, on the whole," he said, plunging onward rather than go back and correct his phrasing, "they have been of sound character... especially when following the terms of a contract."

The squire paused again and thought over how best to respond to Mikal's question. Finally he decided that simplest was best, even if simplicity did not necessarily extend to a completeness of truth.

"I am, indeed, an unattached squire who hopes one day to be worthy of my own elevation to knighthood."

Pietro glanced from Mikal to Kadri and then back to the Jvrillian with a brief stop in transit at Cesare who had been mentioned but whom he had not yet met.

"I would be pleased to do so. And, perhaps, on the way you could introduce me to Cesare there."

Wolf #861677 Thu 22/09/16 00:14 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Indeed. I trust Mikal with my life. The number of people I trust as much are very few. You have met one of them and I just introduced you to another."

She looks to his horse.

"What do you call this beautiful lady again?"

She reaches out and pauses.

"May I? I am of Amber, and horses are what we do. You should meet my Lisica as well. I will introduce you when we stable yours."

Wolf #861682 Thu 22/09/16 00:25 UTC
Pietro

"Her name is Djinni, named for her noble and fleet spirit, Dama Korie," he said with a smile, finding it difficult to call her simply Kadri as she had told Lyric to address her.

"And you are welcome to greet her. As one of Amber, I am sure your touch would be most welcome to her."

Pietro froze for a moment, his smile draining away and he frowned in thought as he remembered a couple of things Kadri had said earlier, things which now seemed - not suspicious - but interesting at least.

"Dama Korie, earlier you asked for my reason in coming here in a way that..." he paused, not sure how to phrase this next bit.

"Did you have some particular reason in mind for my presence in this domain of your husbands?"

Wolf #861684 Thu 22/09/16 00:58 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She thought about trying to correct him again, but gave up on that fight.

"Djinni. A lovely and appropriate name. I think it suits."

She gently stroked the horse's hear and whispered to her.

"I was surprised to see you in these parts - for this is but a small domain on the edge of nothing for an Imperial. If one was looking for adventure or excitement, here - at the edge of nothing - would not seem to be the place to seek it. As for myself, I was looking to remove myself from politics for a small time. I am afraid I have somewhat annoyed a lady known as Talia. You may have heard something about it."

Her mouth quirked.

"Her relatives were stinking up the place. They had to be disinvited. But now, noone cares about them. Except, I might mention, Talia. Dominie holds this place, and it seemed like an excellent spot for some time away from the craziness, and for me to work on some personal projects."

She holds her hands out in a 'who me' pose, and smiles a foxy smile.

Every word true. There might be more truth to find, but no search would find anything she said to be false.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Thu 22/09/16 00:59 UTC.
Wolf #861686 Thu 22/09/16 01:13 UTC
Pietro

"I have traveled far and wide these last fullhand of years and more," he said with a smile and a slight shrug.

"And the years and my friend, Djinni, ended up bringing me here, Dama Kadri," he said, trying a compromise on her name and seeing how it felt rolling out on his tongue.

"It seems me I have heard the name Talia and I am sure you did nothing which was not warranted."

Wolf #861741 Thu 22/09/16 13:42 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He chuckles. "Well, you will hear it again shortly Squire as it is the name of my riding mare. And, yes, before you ask, that was not an accident." He grins slightly. "It provided me with endless mirth each time we spoke with Talia in Talantal."

"So, come. Let us relieve you of your gear."

Assuming no one stops, Mikal leads the small group towards the stable so the horses can be introduced to one another.

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 22/09/16 13:43 UTC.
Wolf #861761 Thu 22/09/16 19:25 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri
She wrinkles her nose.

'Every time I hear '''Dama' it makes me feel ten years older.'
She grins, showing that no real offense was taken.
After they make their way to the stables, she indicates one horse giving it a pat on the head.

"Pietro, meet Lisica. Lisica, meet Pietro."

The mare was small, but obviously of very good stock.

Wolf #861796 Thu 22/09/16 22:35 UTC
Pietro

"Then I will certainly get used to hearing that name," Pietro said with a smile to Jvrillian before turning to Kadri.

"I will try and address you as you prefer, Kadri," he said, emphasizing her name as if it took an effort to say it without the honorific.

"She is a beautiful lady," he murmured as he carefully approached the dark colored mare, holding out his fist for her to sniff in the manner of horse introductions.

"I am pleased, Lisica," he said and then slowly moved his hand up to scratch the horse's ears and then lightly slap her neck.

"This is Djinni."

Wolf #861807 Thu 22/09/16 23:39 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He lets Pietro greet Lisica and then introduces his own mounts. Walking over to one stall that holds a dappled mare he pats her flank and says to Pietro.

"This is Talia. She and I have been together for some time now. She is for riding. She has the most gentle gait I've seen."

He turns and moves to the next stall, which holds a black gelding. This horse is stamping it's feet and snorting a bit, which began as soon as it saw the new horse, Djinn, that Pietro brought inside.

"And this is Nightshade. He is for battle."

In the stall near Nightshade Pietro can see, in addition to the gear a trained warhorse would need, saddle, lance, and so on, there is a wooden shield, painted with a Rose, in Argent on a Sable field. Red tears drip from the rose, Dexter and around the border are the words, 'Memoria Est Vox'.

Wolf #861817 Fri 23/09/16 00:52 UTC
Pietro

"She has a fine face," the squire said and stroked the mare's neck, "and a good form."

Pietro turned to the stall where Nightshade was stalled.

"He looks like... power," he said, nodding at the gelding but not approaching it.

"Is this your... family coat of arms?"

Wolf #861818 Fri 23/09/16 00:53 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

Her voice slips into a full amber accent, and she recites a bit of verse.

"What delight - to ride upon a noble steed - who rivals even wind for speed - seems native less of earth than air - while watching all behind recede."

She smiles at Pietro.

"There is little to compare to racing horseback on an open plain, only the sky, moon and stars above, and the grass below, the whistling wind around you. All other noises disappear, replaced by only the tap TAP tap TAP of a horses hooves like rhythmic drums, beating on the soil, each beat moving through you as if it were your own heart beating. You and the horse below you, merged as if one being."

Wolf #861822 Fri 23/09/16 01:30 UTC
Pietro

Smiling, Pietro nodded his agreement.

"Kadri, I cannot disagree with you on that."

Wolf #861826 Fri 23/09/16 01:49 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest
Restday, the Fifth Day of Yrick

Kadri, Cesare, Mikal, Pietro, and a remnant of Merchants

In truth, calling the structure a barn was being extremely kind. It was an open structure, a gable roof set on posts whose actual task was to merely provide the Heatherson’s cows a modicum of shelter when the weather turned bad. There was an empty space at one corner where Djinni could be tied and kept out of the sun but the other accouterments of a barn — real stalls, a bucket for water, the second bucket for oats — were missing. They shared the space with a portion of the dairy herd and in the adjacent field, there were both horses and heifers.

Missus Heatherson gave the Dama Korie a blink and a shake of her head. She said nothing, however, and quietly bustled back into her house — it would be dinner soon, and she had her commoner’s tasks to maintain.

Indeed, as the conversations and introductions continued, back at the market the merchants started to finalize their trades and gather up their wares. Some were already taking their leave, probably to ensure they were away from the Dirkwood Forest come sunset. Most of these farmers and merchants seemed to be taking the western path that led over the bridge. Only one farmer prepared to head home along the eastern trail, following in the wake of the rough-looking pair. Some of the merchants were still at their work, including those bringing sacks of freshly ground flour down the stairs from the mill.

Wolf #861828 Fri 23/09/16 02:02 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"I had best inform the household we will be feeding extra. It may not be fancy."

Wolf #861877 Fri 23/09/16 13:53 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He shrugs. "I have no family. Not anymore. This is a personal credo, emblazoned on a shield."

He glances back to Djinni. "She is well put together. Is she Destrier trained?"

Wolf #861966 Sun 25/09/16 00:39 UTC
Pietro

Pietro paused in heading toward the one he had not yet met (Cesare) and the make-do barn to look at the marketday - plus one day, he couldn't help but wonder - activity breaking up. He had planned to check out what wares were being offered for sale, but now it looked like it was too late for that.

"What? Oh, yes," he said to the Jvrillian. "Djinni has been my constant companion since she was a young filly and has been trained - along with me - to be one in the fight."

He slapped his steed affectionately on the neck.

"We... we fill the gaps and shortcomings in each others ability."

Wolf #861994 Sun 25/09/16 15:16 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He smiles at Djinni then follows Pietro's glance to where the merchants are starting to pack up.

"Come. Lets go see if they have anything left. The one selling tunics was supposed to save me something. Besides, I've found you can get good deals at the end."

He heads back to the Market, looking for his clothing seller.

Wolf #861996 Sun 25/09/16 15:26 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest
Restday, the Fifth Day of Yrick

Kadri, Cesare, Mikal, Pietro, and a very limited remnant of Merchants

Besides the occasional shuffle of hooves and the lowing of cattle, the activities at the barn could continue without interruption. As the conversation went on the sun would drop lower and lower in the sky and more and more of the local merchants would depart Waverider’s Watch. A couple would remain; one of the tinkers and one of the food sellers – they were obviously friends or relations of the Blackhair or Barley families and would be spending the night.

On the top of the Rock, the watchtower kept its silent vigil. A single figure, a small shadow at this distance, kept a lazy watch on its top. Two others could be seen climbing the switchback steps and then walking along the path, carrying the goods they had bought this day to the small stone building tucked up against the stone tower.

The millwheel turned and turned, driven by the water cascading off the edge of the big rock. Again, Bekkah and Keiko had vanished but this time, not only had they taken their new companion Lyric with them, they had vanished to a known location. They had already been in the Mill for a good amount of time before the last of bags of flour had left, and Missus Miller shut the door, their work for the day complete.

For those at the Heatherson barn, if they continued in this manner, the night would soon fall and the next day would come all too soon. Which would be a small problem, as Pietro did not exactly know where he would be sleeping this night.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 25/09/16 15:27 UTC.
Wolf #862009 Sun 25/09/16 17:14 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

Moving among the remaining merchants he finds two new tunics, one in sable the other in red and haggles briefly with the man but pays him a fair price.

He waits for Pietro and Kadri to finish shopping and then, once the last merchant has packed up, he says to Pietro, "Let me show you where you can sack out."

Wolf #862020 Sun 25/09/16 22:54 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
KAdri mainly works on seeing that more dinner than might be normal is fixed.

Wolf #862030 Mon 26/09/16 01:02 UTC
Pietro

Pietro's needs were modest. He purchased a couple of changes of underclothes and stockings. He looked at the boots available, but none of them were in his size.

"Mikal, that is a good idea. But, while I am thinking about it, can I arrange for extra grain for Djinni?"

Wolf #862062 Mon 26/09/16 10:12 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Yes", he nods. "You'll have to gather it from the mill and use her nosebag. As you can see, it's not much of a barn. There's no buckets handy and the horses here just graze in the fields."

He knows that is not an issue. Anyone whose life or death depends in large part on the health of their horse is used to taking care of it themselves.

"But the mill is halfway up the cliff. Bring the nosebag with you, and your gear. Makes more sense to drop your stuff off at the Watchtower and then stop at the Mill on the way back down then go up and back twice."

Wolf #862108 Mon 26/09/16 23:00 UTC
Pietro

"That makes sense," the squire replied. "I have enough grain for one or two feedings left, but will be glad for the opportunity to obtain extra for Djinni."

He took the bag in which he stored the grain (not the feedbag, but just a coarse, jute-like storage bag) from Djinni's saddle and followed where the Jvrillian led.

"How long have you been fulfilling your contract to Dama Korie?"

Wolf #862147 Tue 27/09/16 10:55 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

They walk over to the stairs and begin to climb as he answers.

"Not terribly long. Since a little before the Midsummer Council actually. Before that I was contracted to a Dayalan Starlord, and before that I spent my time taking small contracts across the Highland Path, mostly in Brockman's Holdfast with farmers and villagers, protecting them from......"

He pauses to choose the right words.

"....., those who would take advantage of their weakness. Before that I was a member of Cameron's Light Horse Troop."

He glances towards Pietro, hoping he did not offend, then rushes on and adds, "So, what about you? Did you start wandering the land right out of Squire School?"

He shrugs apologetically. "Sorry if that's not the right term. I know very little about how Knight and Squires are made."

Wolf #862180 Tue 27/09/16 22:26 UTC
Pietro

He glanced toward the building wherein Lyric had disappeared before following Mikal up the stairs.

"It sounds as if you have been busy. I have heard some uh... information about what transpired at that Council," he said slowly.

"Unusual... to put it mildly." Pietro glanced at Mikal, shrugged and smiled mirthlessly.

"I was in Brockman's Holdfast recently. A troubled place. That is where I heard about the unusual events..."

He paused, shook his head and chuckled slightly.

"Unusual and unexpected alliances to say the least."

"A Dayalan Starlord? I have heard of Dayalans, but have met only one."

Pietro turned toward the Jvrillian and his grin this time was warped crookedly.

"Apparently, I know very little about how Knights and Squires are made either since I have been a squire for nigh on ten years now."

"Djinni and I have been out and about for almost as long."

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Miales
Miales
Conway, Ar
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,855
Posts141,384
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy