Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Neptune, AquaDyne, Asta), 32 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest, One Day East of Waverider’s Watch
Marketday, the Fourth Day of Yrick

Pietro and Lyric

Now that was interesting.

For Petro and Djinni, the ride lately had been quiet. They had been told a few farmhouses back that this was indeed a trail that he was on, but that it was a Rhoni trail, one that ran towards sunset only a crossbow shot away from the Dirkwood Forest.

Indeed, the Forest cast such a dark shadow he could understand why only the mainland’s most experienced wanderers traveled this way. It was secluded, almost secret, and if one were not used to open fields, wolf howls and the yowling of slinks, one would probably swear off traveling. That and the Dirkwood had a palatable pall. It just felt dark, angry and hungry.

Djinni just whuffled; she was a quiet mare, rock steady. She wasn’t even really fierce for a destrier. But as one of the older Knights used to say, “...mare, stallion, gelding, it doesn’t matter. The best destrier is the one with the one that works best with you and is not afraid to fight.”

And he and Djinni were a team.

The last few days had been different, however.

He knew he should be getting close to the sea; he had traveled enough days that there could not be too many left at all. There were even times he could have sworn he tasted salt in the air.

The farmers, they had been telling an odd story over a shared meal, one heard from their neighbors, which placed it about a day south. The story said that a large number of horsemen were also riding to the west. But he had not seen any sign of them; probably because they were – if they actually existed – a day to the south. Out here, that probably meant Jvrillians; but beholden to who? Not the Kories. Yes, they did hire mercenaries, but they served in the city – the whole purpose of the manor system was to provide non-mercenary footmen and Knights to serve the Noble Lords.

Especially since these lands, technically, belonged to the youngest of them. And he did not seem to be the type to hire folks out. His allowance probably wasn’t that big.

But that wasn’t what had intrigued him this afternoon.

It was that he wasn’t alone on the trail.

He had just topped a small hill... which wasn’t odd at all. The fields in this area not only had lots of hills, but scattered bits of trees, large rocks from foot to house side, and many small creeks and little streams. Topping the hill, he was looking down on another traveler.

This one was walking all alone on the path ahead of him and seemed to be heading in the same direction.

And that person had noticed him.

Lyric had been walking these fields for several rising and settings of the sun. Lyric’s own travels were but recently begun. Task set, walking from home to here, and finding mostly nothing. The sun was nicely warm, which was a comfort, and the weather had been pleasant, which was also new. But it did nothing to aid in the completion, let alone the very start, of a journey.

So when of the first person seen was a man upon a horse, definitely armored, looking down from the top of the hill...

...well it was definitely a first.

This was definitely a more interesting discovery than the horse tracks that had been seen a day past and a day south.

So far, one looking up, one looking down... and no one had drawn steel or tried to kill each other.

In its own way, another first.

Lyric

The brown haired girl would appear to be of little threat to escape. She was on foot, with a rucksack style of pack nearby her there at the edge of the road. She herself stood a few feet away from it just off the road on the grassy embankment. She was holding a scratch of gathered flowers in her hands. An assortment of blossoms and their leafy stems and she sniffed them as she looked up that last hill she had only just recently walked, at him. There was no horse anywhere near her, nor had there been any evidence along the trail the shiny knight had ridden this day...

And so, the chance she might escape an armored knight astride of warhorse was nigh on unlikely, if not impossible. She certainly didn't seem inclined to try either it seemed, for when her eyes lit upon something nearby to her, too far away for the knight himself to see clearly at his distance, she turned her attention from him and stepped through the obscuring tall grasses to investigate.

Turning her attention away from the knight on the hill indeed. The girl beamed at the newest find. Taking up the thin fabrics of her light tunic so she could step through the grasses to get where she now needed to be, she moved several steps further along the embankment and down a little farther from the road itself. She knelt for a moment, mostly obscured in the grasses, but it didn't last long.

More flowers. Her scratch had definitely become more like two handfuls worth of blossoms. She smelled them again and her shoulders fell a little, perhaps relaxed, in the contentment.

She looked back up the hill she had recently walked... and she smiled at the shiny knight, on a horse, upon a hill.

And why not?

It was Yrick, and Harvest Season brought out the last blooming of the wildflowers. She was warm, and that made her warm as well, and the air was a breeze of scents, and the flowers' fragrance was intoxicating.

The shiny knight, on a horse, upon a hill, his intentions as unclear as his purpose upon the trail, was not now... now was where she stood. The shiny man was then, and when he came down the hill, as he was almost certain to do, because this was the path and he was on and the direction he travelled, then he would be here in the now. But now was now and then was then, one becomes the next but never do they meet. There is always another now.

Until then became now she would enjoy her flowers.

That might make a very nice song...

Pietro

Reaching forward to pat his mounts neck caused a slight bell-like tinkle from the ornament - a darksteel wagon wheel - hanging from a silver chain around his neck. Pietro lifted it briefly and spun it, enjoying the slight sounds it made but not necessarily cheered by the thoughts and memories it brought to him. He dropped the pendant and clapped his horse on the neck.

"You don't remember your dam any more than I remember my mother, do you, Djinni, my friend."

When he'd patted Djinni's neck, he noticed that the red horse mark with the two gold stripes was nearly worn away. He thought briefly that he might not freshen the horsemark any time soon; while the mare pretty much ignored it once it had dried, she did so hate having it applied.

Besides, the red and gold emblem was repeated on the small guidon at the end of his lance and then again, in a way, on his small buckler shield, a round steel target painted red with two concentric gold circles around its rim. That was enough to let anyone know of his fealty to Lord Rames even if his demeanor did not do so.

Pietro adjusted the handaxe hanging from the right side of his belt and the shortsword on his left as he and Djinni crested the small hill and then stopped.

There was a woman down below on the trail, a young woman walking and, yes, gathering flowers. She looked up at him and seemed to smile but she was yet a long way off and he could not be entirely sure of her expression. The squire looked around, saw no horse, no companions, and the smile which had started to appear in response to hers froze. He looked around again to make sure there were no imminent threats to the young lady, saw none, relaxed and lifted a hand in greeting.

Pietro leaned forward and the mare, understanding, resumed her measured pace along the path and down the hill toward the young woman. Pietro smiled as they approached her, pulled Djinni to a halt and dismounted in one smooth movement.

Somehow he did not want to be looking down at her.

"I greet you in the name of Lord Rames," he said with a smile.

"It appears to be a fine day for the gathering of blossoms."

Lyric

While it was not a truly a road, the path itself might as well have been for it was really the only sign of civilization in these parts. And, as paths go, this might as well be a road, for whoever trod the earth to still the growth of grasses over time, had understood that higher ground, although winding along the contours of the terrain, would endure the encroachment of the grasses and the passage of time between the treks made by the path-treaders better than a mostly direct route.

The looming Dirkwood was altogether too close for the comfort of most, but the girl seemed oblivious in her carefree contentment. If one could throw a stone very far, or perhaps fire a crossbow bolt then one might have a fair chance to hit a tree at the edge of the dark and oppressive wood. That was how close it was to the path.

The shiny knight, on a horse, upon a hill was no longer on the hill as he rode closer and closer and was once then but that became now. She still lacked worry or concern for either her circumstance or his the shiny knight's approach.

She watched as the shiny knight, in a clatter of clanging metal dropped from the horse more gracefully than she assumed he might be able given the extra weight he carried.

Lyric shifted her focus to the knight's horse, her own eyes soft, trying to meet those of the warhorse. The animal was so very pretty. But her attention was drawn back to the man as he announced himself in a formal greeting. He upon the path, her a few feet down the grassy embankment, she affected a bow of sorts... perhaps even courtly, after a fashion.

"My Lord," she replied with deference and courtesy. Her accent was that of the High Tarn. "Forgive me, I must seem terribly awkward, for I did not recognize one such as yourself, of such stature and prestige to be named after a God, would wander the same path as I this chase of She across the sky."

She kept the slight bow and offered both handfuls of flowers out to him. "If you wish them, you may have them M'Lord."

Pietro

She was lovely and seemed the very essence of innocence and amity and he wondered how she had managed to appear here alone, so far away from home and hearth.

He held up a hand in a slight forestalling, or correcting, gesture.

"Oh, I am not a lord, milady, and neither am I named for Lord Rames. That would be a terrible presumption on my or my parent's part."

He smiled and glanced up at the sun as She crossed the sky.

"I am merely a squire dedicated to the service of Lord Rames the Protector. My name is Pietro."

He decided this occasion deserved a bit more formality.

"Pietro Keir Hansson, late of Talantal." He noticed her attention to his mount.

"And this is Djinni, my friend."

Pietro leaned forward and smelled the flowers when she presented them to him. He smiled and selected one of the flowers, a red one, of course, and tucked its stem under the edge of his chain hauberk.

"Perhaps just one."

Lyric

Of all the things he said, by way of a proper introduction and one she now understood more clearly, his mention of the horse's name and relationship was the first thing she responded to.

"Yes... she is," the girl replied, again looking at the horse. It was a confident reply at that, as if she were stating a fact she could perceive.

She nodded again as he took his choice of flowers and tucked it into the shirt of woven metal links.

"I am called Lyric," she added as she looked at the flower... a symbol of peace atop that of war. It looked as though she might get lost in thought staring at the single red flower. She was certainly in no hurry.

Pietro

Lyric... what an odd name... he thought.

"Lyric... what an... interesting name. Are you then a singer of songs?"

Pietro stepped back and reached into a coarse jute bag hanging from the mare's saddle and pulled out three small apples.

"Would you like an apple?" he asked Lyric as he held one out for Djinni to take.

"They are not the prettiest, not like shiny Winelace or Westkeeps, but they are firm and tart and..." he grinned, "sweet and juicy."

"They are called Sugar Crisps and Djinni and I like them."

<< editied to Heartwood-ize the apple types; Winelace from Highgaard and Westkeeps from the lands about Sherman's Keep >>

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 06/09/16 00:18 UTC.

Lyric

"I am," she stated without hesitation. The accompanying nod of her head and widening eyes matched her smile. "A singer of songs, yes."

She watched him reach for a bag hung from his friend's saddle, and she took another deep sniff of her remaining flowers, the fragrance giving her a visible sense of happy contentment. But all of that stopped the moment he withdrew the three pieces of fruit. She looked at Pietro of the Many Names, and then the fruit and back to him. She offered an eager nod.

"You are very kind to ask."

She could feel the saliva in her mouth building and she swallowed. There was a hopeful anticipation as he shifted all the flowers to one hand, but didn't dare extend the now empty one. He hadn't actually offered her the fruit, but rather just asked her if she would like one of them, and it would be rude to be presumptuous of the Knight's abundance of provisions that he set aside for himself and his friend. She watched as he offered one to Djinni and her smile widened at the interaction between them. But it was the hope that she hadn't misread the Knight and that he would offer one to her as well that dominated her thoughts in the now.

Pietro

The squire looked at the apples in his hand and, after a moment, nodded slightly and, selecting the one with the fewer blemishes, extended it toward her.

"I hope you like it as much as we do."

Pietro took a bite of the one in his other hand and chewed it happily as the juices burst from its ruptured flesh and filled his mouth.

Lyric

"...very generous as well," she added softly with yet another nod. She allowed him to drop the apple into her hand as that seemed most appropriate and sensible given their respective stations. He a Knight of Lord Rames and she... not.

Lyric drew the apple close to her face and she smelled it deeply. Her eyes closed, the inhalation was protracted, as if she were trying to extract every bit of scent from the skin of the apple itself.

Her eyes fluttered open briefly, her smile ever widening until it seemed her face couldn't possibly contain the joy she expressed. Following suit, she too bit into the apple, allowing her teeth to rend the crisp skin and tear into the meaty, fibrous meat of the apple. Immediately her eyes closed again as she was awash in the taste and texture and smell that flooded her. If Pietro were a worldly man, and there was no presumption made in the telling of this either way, then he might recognize that her current impassioned expression, with eyes closed, combined to the soft shudder and shiver he might witness, was something quite akin to an orgasm. Despite the indelicacy of the appearance of such she certainly seemed oblivious to him now as the fruit-born sensations kept her in a state of rapture as she started to chew.

Pietro

Well, there was hardly a doubt that she was enjoying the apple, In fact her reaction was almost... well, embarrassing was the only word for it. Pietro blinked several times, swallowed and cleared his throat.

"Well, uh... glad you like it," he said, his voice just slightly hoarse.

Again Pietro looked around the area, gauging their surroundings as had become a habit to him, for any possible threats. He frowned slightly as he looked at Lyric.

The one question that kept echoing in his head was an obvious one, but he was not sure how exactly to ask it, how she might react. He did not want to upset her and she was... well, she seemed a bit odd.

Nice, but odd.

"Uh... Lyric," he said and paused briefly.

"Are you waiting for someone? You're not out here all alone, are you?"

Lyric

If there was anything that Lyric could claim to be an expert at, then it might be the fact that she could read an audience by the very sounds they made, from their breathing and heart rates, the nervous non-verbal cues, throat clearing, to the changes in their vocal intonations, in pitch and tenor.

She opened her eyes, halting her next bite of the apple, red lips wrapping the fruit as she looked wide-eyed at her benefactor.

Slowly, sensing a misstep in etiquette, she pulled the fruit away from her mouth. The bite marks all but revealing the second advance through the apple's skin.

She thought to wipe her mouth upon her sleeve, but even where she came from that would be quite rude. But, allowing the juice to roll like a dribble from her lips to her chin felt just as unseemly. So she settled for a quick lick of her lips before speaking again.

"Yes, thank you so much. It... is... wondrous."

She glanced at the apple, remembering her place, and made a mental vow to keep her exuberance in check... or to at least try harder.

"No, kind Ser."

When she couldn't resist the tickle on her chin, she wiped the droplet forming there with the heel of the hand that held the apple whilst masking the effort with the flowers from the other. It was awkward at best.

"I am not waiting on any one. Though I will admit when I saw you crest the hill, I did wait... It would have been rude to ignore you. And so, now that you are here with me in the now, I am not alone."

Pietro

Yes, definitely odd... still nice, but she seemed almost... Pietro searched for words which would describe something - someone - new to him.

She seemed almost ethereal, almost as if she only partially inhabited what Pietro considered the real world. She was definitely one worthy of his protection, however.

While he considered all this, Pietro reached into his saddlebag, rummaged around a bit and came out with a slightly rumpled, but clean linen handkerchief which he extended toward her.

"Here, try this," he said, smiling.

"It is nice to be... not alone, to have company," Pietro said, trying to lead the conversation in another direction.

"And, since we seem to be headed in the same direction, would you like rest yourself upon Djinni's back - I assure you, she would be a gentle ride - while I walk and stretch my legs?"

Lyric

She blushed when he present the crumpled kerchief to her, but she accepted with a curt nod, her eyes slightly averted.

"A Gift. I will cherish it."

His offer to allow her to ride atop Djinni was yet another kindness and an unexpected one at that. She demurred and shook her head in the negative.

"I have nothing to offer you in return, and, for my part, it is not custom to be beholden or indebted to another's kindness and grace without the hope of returning the same in greater measure. And you have been generous beyond my measure and worth. So please do not be upset. I mean no disrespect or dishonor."

Her pause was just a moment though. Enough for her to make that last step up from the grasses back onto the path.

"But if you would allow me to travel alongside you as we find out where this trail will lead us both, then I might earn the keeping of your generosity. And I might learn that there is something of value that I can offer to you along the way in the now."

She seemed pleased by this self-negotiated arrangement so much that she she smiled and exhaled deeply with a final nod.

"And since I too like to... stretch my legs... the three of us could walk together."

Pietro

He had not meant for the handkerchief to be a gift, more a loan of sorts but he was loathe to correct her. Besides it was a small thing and she seemed to derive pleasure from it.

"Then we shall all three stretch our legs as we enjoy Her warmth, Lyric," he said.

Pietro reached down, picked up the young woman's rucksack and hung it from the cantle of Djinni's saddle.

"Since she will be carrying neither of us, I am sure Djinni will not mind carrying your rucksack, Lyric. I doubt she'll even notice the weight."

He started off walking, following the path they stood upon, turning his head to make sure she was following him.

"Perhaps you could do me a favor, Lyric," he said after a few moments.

"Do you write your own songs?"

Lyric

Her rucksack was laden with a number of things, not the least of it were the sundries of her crockery cup and such things but also to include the weight of several sets of tunics, both over and under. There was a tartan cloak of fine quality, and a finer looking formal garment judging by the glimpse of the material. But more importantly and possibly quite notably, there were pieces of leather armor, leather breeches and boots. And there was the hilt of sheathed dagger as well.

She herself was not particularly tall though she carried herself with her head high and bright eyes. The tunics she wore currently seemed to be of a summer weight fabric in a couple layers, over an under tunic. She was unarmed and seemingly unconcerned by that fact as well. she wore simple leather shoes meant more for cobbled streets than the open and dusty road.

The one thing she did do was untether an oilskin tarp that had been wrapped around a bowl shaped object with a neck and then tied at both ends by the same strap of fabric. She slipped that over her back. No doubt it was an instrument of some sort, possibly a mandolin by the shape of it.

With this man taking charge of her belongings, leaving her to carry her flowers and the apple and now a kerchief she skipped a couple steps to catch up to him.

"I make my own music if that is what you mean. I ... don't read or write Colonial. But I have a very good memory for things I hear. And I remember everything I have made of my own."

Pietro

"Djinni and I will be very careful of your belongings, Lyric," he said, doing his best to reassure the young woman. He held up one hand.

"You have my oath as one dedicated to Rames the Protector."

He watched with interest as she slung the oilskin wrapped instrument (?) upon her back and skipped to catch up with him. He shortened his steps to match hers, but not that much as he was not a very tall man, perhaps five and a half feet.

"I am neither poet nor singer, but I have tried over the last few days to compose a poem of sorts. Two lines came to me, perhaps in a dream, lines that I meant something to me, but since then, I have worried over it repeatedly, but cannot come up with even the rest of one verse."

He looked to his side and slightly downward toward her and smiled.

"Perhaps you could help me... it would be a goodness."

Pietro's smile widened slightly.

"Would you like to hear what I have so far?"

Lyric

"I accept your oath," she said solemnly, giving it the same respect as it was offered. A part of her wished he hadn't but, it was offered and accepted now and that was the way of things.

She smiled, trying to think on other things and the knight was obliging to that end as well.

"I most assuredly would want hear these words of poetry... and I hope I can help."

Pietro

"And then you would have repaid what I do not consider a debt," he said with a smile. He thought for a moment, then cleared his throat and intoned.

"I slept and saw that life was beauty,
Awoke and knew that life was duty
."

Pietro grimaced slightly. Now that he'd said it to someone else, it seemed... small and insignificant and he wished he'd kept it to himself. He glanced at her apprehensively, certain that she would criticize his effort.

Or not... he thought after a moment. She seemed too nice for derision or criticism, but he did not really know her yet.

Lyric

She listened as she walked, and then after she repeated this couplet to herself, over and over. She considered the man walking beside her, and how committed he was to his Duty. He wore his armor in the high heat of Her presence above them, despite the many hours he had likely already passed without incident upon this trail. She knew it was likely without incident because it had been so for her and her rode behind her Then until Now. And if it had been otherwise he would have mentioned it in his sense of Duty to Protect others.

He was a man who balanced the Now against the What Might Be and found the What Might Be to have a clearer weight upon his core sense of self.

Thus, these were fitting words from him. And yet...

"The words are..." She thought hard for a word, "...evocative. Do you feel this way, Ser Pietro?"

Pietro

"Yes..." he said, drawing out the one word and then pausing briefly.

"And no... I do take my duty seriously, Lyric."

Pietro smiled almost sadly.

"In many ways, as I say in those lines, my duty is my life, but..." again he paused as if searching within himself for something which was truth.

"Sometimes I wish there was more time to appreciate... beauty."

Lyric

She nodded and was quiet for a time, and then some more beyond that. But it looked as though she was thinking, perhaps even dreaming in the awake a bit.

"I can not give you an answer to what it means, and that is what you really need... To understand the nature of this struggle between two things very important to you. Only you can do that for yourself. But that is the nature of true art. Be it music or poetry, or even a physical art itself. It must tell someone something about your heart and your soul. But to you it must express this first before anyone else can see it or hear and thus feel it."

Lyric closed her eyes as she walked now, her footfalls as sure as if her eyes were open.

"From a purely technical sense... you have written a couplet and those usually make up shorter poems. Couplets become whimsical and rhythmic by their very nature. Beyond 3 or 4 couplets they will lose their poignancy to move the listener or reader."

She didn't pause for long.

"I can not write the next lines for you, but I can give you something to think about and mayhap that will help you find the voice for the words that I already know are inside of you."

She took a bite of her apple and chewed on that as she walked along quietly. Hers was a pace that followed his and yet had an entirely different sense of urgency.

"Two more couplets... thus a beginning, a middle, and an end... You have framed your dilemma... You dream you can live in a world of beauty, and wake to find a world that is something else. So now you must ask yourself.... are these worlds not the same, if only you look at that which you love and see it for what it could be? And in doing that, might you not find the peace to realize the world of beauty is every where that you are right now, in being who you are?

Pietro

Much of what she said was nearly meaningless to him, went right over his head as his brother, Ataulf, had been wont to say, but her words sounded right and, even if he did not - or did not yet - understand them, they found a soothing spot in his oft troubled mind.

It occurred to him that, in the short space of time since he'd met the young songstress, he'd opened himself up and revealed himself more... well, nakedly, than he had since... well, since maybe ever. Pietro looked at her as she walked and ate her apple and his expression was one almost of wonder.

She might be odd, but she was easy to talk to and that, in itself, was refreshing.

"I will think upon your words, Miss Lyric," he said softly. "I do not entirely understand them, but I do believe they contain much in the way of truth."

Pietro took a deep breath, held it a long moment and then blew it out. He took another bite of his apple, chewed and swallowed it. Deciding he'd been philosophical long enough, he changed the subject.

"When you started out this morning, Miss Lyric, did you have a specific destination in mind?"

Lyric

He would uncover less in the thinking on her words than in the sleeping on them, after all, that was how the first words were joined to give him the clarity that he needed to find solace in this duality. Sleep, maybe several, would ease the barriers he imposed upon himself and the words would reveal themselves in due time.

"If you are asking if I had a purpose then Yes, I did and it was the same as was the morning before, and even the one before that."

She pointed ahead of her, along the path the three of them walked. "I was going this way," she stated with conviction.

A few more steps.

"But if you mean, did I have a plan... then No. I have no idea what lies ahead of me at the end of this day or the next. That is less important to me than the journey I take along the way. Thus I am never dissatisfied with where I am."

She lifted her flowers to her face to smell them again and she was reminded of the joy she experienced in finding them, plucking them, and even smelling them that very first time.

"And If I was more concerned with where I was going to be, then I might not have paused to see where I was, and maybe we would not be as WE are... in the Now."

Pietro

"Then I am going that way, too," he said and pointed in the same direction. He'd made no concrete decision but he could not imagine leaving her out here alone.

"A purpose or a plan." Pietro shrugged. "Or a destination."

He smiled and after a moment the smile warped into a rather crooked grin.

"Leads sometimes to a meeting, a friendly celebration."

Pietro laughed happily, clapped his hands and, behind him, Djinni snorted, perhaps derisively.

"Always a critic," he said looking back at the mare and then over at Lyric.

"But, awkward or not, I did it and I liked it."

Lyric

"And that is oft times all we have at the end of any day... to say we have enjoyed what we have done... even when we have nothing else to show for it."

She did not offer critique or commentary and didn't even wince at his rhyming bit of whimsy. He was pleased and feeling more relaxed and that made him more enjoyable company than the tense servant of the Lord Protector.

She glanced at Djinni and then to Pietro, with a smile she ceded this, "There will always be critics though... treat them all as... Neigh-sayers."

It almost pained her to play the homophonic pun and stretch that first part of the last word out until sounded like a horse, but it certainly seemed the appropriate continuation to a bad joke already begun.

Pietro

He frowned in puzzlement for just a moment but then guffawed.

"Miss Lyric," he said when his mirth had subsided, "that was just about the worst yet most appropriate pun I have heard since I left Talantal near eight years ago."

Pietro glanced over his shoulder and waggled a finger at Djinni.

"See there? You should keep your opinions to yourself, girl, unless they are about merebeasts or bouncers."

The squire chuckled again, almost automatically turning to scan the horizon for anything out of the ordinary. Reassured, he turned back to Lyric, recalling something he'd heard her say earlier.

"So, Miss Singer of Songs and maker of bad puns, how many days have you been on this... expedition?"

Lyric

She sighed and shrugged.

"The maker of one pun, and I already regret it. Puns and limericks are the last refuge of the untalented, or so I have been taught. I fear my career as a minstrel on the Heartwood is all but over before it even began."

There was a hint of lingering smile though.

But, she didn't answer that last question for a number of steps.

"How long does it take to get here, wherever we are, from the High Tarn?"

Pietro

He smiled at her and considered her question.

"As long as it takes, I suppose. It depends on how many distractions present themselves along the way."

His smile widened.

"How many flowers there are to pick and how many foolish squires you come upon."

Lyric

"I have yet to meet one of those foolish squires you mention..."

She walked along, and smiled, mostly to herself.

"But She has not set yet, this day is still young, and anything is possible."

A final bite of her apple would prevent any further follow-up for a minute or so.

Pietro

"Ah, milady is too kind," he said and made a sweeping, only a little, sardonic bow.

"I had had my foolish moments."

Pietro looked up, squinting into Her rays and nodded.

"Perhaps you will be willing to share our evening meal when She settles in for the night." He gestured toward Djinni with a movement of his chin.

Another thought occurred to him.

"Have you seen sign of a sizeable group of riders lately?"

Lyric

"It seems you go from one meal to another, planning for the next in the in-between," she teased. As it was, She was high overhead and another meal was not likely for some time, nor was the likelihood of happening upon a town or a way-station and that meant keeping a close watch on the rations she had. He would be wise to do so as well, since he had to manage rations for two.

At the mention of a group of riders she shook her head, "I would ask how many you consider to be... 'sizeable', but the answer wouldn't matter. I have been on this path for several of Her passings overhead now and you are only other I have seen in all that time. And there have been no signs of anyone travelling this path ahead of us recently either."

Pietro

"I can think about eating whether I am hungry or not," he said with a smile for her as they walked along the path under Her warm rays.

"What I consider... sizeable is not necessarily the point, Miss Lyric. I was sharing a meal with some farmers two or maybe three days back and they said they'd seen signs of what they called a sizeable group of riders passing in roughly the same direction we are heading."

Pietro pointed southward.

"But probably some ways south of here from what I was told."

Lyric

Lyric walked along, closing her eyes and leaning her head back to bask in the warmth of the sun. She did this for a time and gave no reply. Sometimes she seemed very deliberate in the time it took her to reply to anything and other times, not so much.

Finally she did reply, but she still had her head back as she walked along, fingers trailing along the loose bridle of the warhorse as though it were a guide in her self-imposed blindness.

"I can not offer any more insight Ser Pietro. Though I doubt they would find this trail easy passage for any more than a few riders... if they were to have ever found it in the first place. Besides, we travel along the edge of the Dirkwood... Maybe that gave them pause and they sought a more travelled path to the west."

Pietro

"You could well be right," the squire said as he made one of his customary visual sweeps of the area, glancing back at Djinni to make sure she seemed relaxed as he did so. The mare served as a primary part of his... early warning system. If her ears were perked forward, something was happening.

"But you do not have to call me Ser Pietro. I am not a knight, just a squire." Pietro held up a hand.

"Not that I mind it. It is just an unnecessary politeness."

Lyric

As he spoke, she appeared to be 'done' with her 'sunbathing'.

"What is a squire," she asked almost immediately after he finished.

Pietro

He was surprised, if only a little, that she didn't know what a squire was. There was no real reason she should know, he decided, but it had just never occurred to him.

"A squire is... I supposed you could define a squire as a knight in training... an apprentice knight."

He smiled over and slightly down at her.

"I will remain a squire until I have been found worthy of knighthood."

Lyric

"And if I find you worthy of Knighthood, is that not sufficient?"

Before he could answer though, she she countered herself.

"Probably not, since I didn't even know what a squire was..."

"But, if not me... then who is responsible for taking the measure of your worth? And what makes them 'worthy' to do that?"

Pietro

Pietro looked faintly puzzled for just a second, but that expression was quickly replaced by a widening smile.

"I would appreciate your approval of my qualifications but, no, I do not think that would hold sufficient weight with the leaders of my church."

He thought for a long moment about how he could explain the situation in the Church of Lord Rames so that she would understand it. He made a soft sound halfway between laugh and snort.

Pietro wasn't sure he really understood it himself. He felt comfortable with his allegiance to the tenets of his deity, but the politics of the senior members of the church... that was complicated.

"The... senior knights, prelates and priests of the Church of Lord Rames make the ultimate decision... after seeking the counsel of Lord Rames himself, of course."

He decided to stop there for the moment. Regardless of the exact veracity of his statements, it... sounded good. Pietro shrugged mentally.

Maybe she would forget about that worthiness qualification.

He wished he could.

Lyric

"Aye, it sounds complicated," was her only reply for a time.

She was silent again for even longer before she added something else.

"Today is for uncomplicated things though... To journey and talk, maybe laugh a little, and enjoy being in the Now. When She has taken her leave of the sky, that we might take our leave of the trail... that is for uncomplicated things as well... Maybe song and music... a story or two... and of course SER Pietro, we will share a meal together if it is still your wish to do so."

Pietro

He nodded and, after a moment, the smile returned to his face.

"You are right. We have no need for unnecessary complications on such a fine day as we are getting to know each other."

Pietro took a few more steps, shrugged and continued.

"You mentioned laughing a little. Do you like jokes? In my travels, I have heard a few, some better than others."

Lyric

She turned her eyes to him and smiled, and with a nod she spoke, "Tell me a funny story then, laughter is always a pleasure to the spirit."

Pietro

"All right then," he said and thought over several options, jokes he'd heard in various eateries and taverns over the last few years. After rejecting several he considered too bawdy or suggestive, he cleared his throat and began.

"An Atteran, a Rhoni, and a Jvrillian were sitting in a tavern. Each of them had a fly land in their drink.

The Atteran saw the fly in her wine and was instantly disgusted and pushed her glass away.

The Rhoni saw the fly, removed it from his drink, shrugged his shoulders and continued drinking.

The Jvrillian saw the fly swimming around in his ale, grabbed it by the wings and shouted at the fly, "Spit it out! Spit it out!"

Halfway through the joke's telling, Pietro started thinking about Lyric's... well, oddities and had already begun to regret his offer so, once he'd completed the mini-saga, he gave her a sidewise glance to see how she reacted.

Last edited by Exeter; Wed 07/09/16 00:35 UTC. Reason: Swap Races...

Lyric

She walked along for a few steps after the completion of the story. There was a slight smile on her lips and Pietro could see that Lyric was considering his story. Perhaps she was thinking about from the perspective of her profession. The smile grew though and she made a single shake of her head as though the bite of it finally revealed it's hook, and she nodded with a chuckle.

"I get it... That is very clever Pietro. You have a knack for timing too. I do think that somewhere in your telling, you were regretting your choice of stories... a small hesitation, but I am glad you continued. May I use this story myself?"

Pietro

The squire expelled a breath he hadn't realized he was holding.

She liked it.

"I'm glad you liked it, Lyric. I was not sure you would... I thought you might take it as being... well, indelicately insulting to the people in the story."

He walked on a few more steps, feeling good about himself.

"I can tell jokes... I've never been able to make them up or at least usually, but I enjoy making people laugh."

Pietro made a small half-bow in her direction.

"You are welcome to its use, Miss Singer of Songs and Teller of Tales."

Lyric

"Thank you," she replied with a nod. "It is only fair that I ask. We might find a tavern somewhere along the way and you might be inclined to share your story with the other travellers, though I doubt there are any such places along this wisp of a trail, but you never know, right?"

It was obviously a rhetorical question. Of course she was right, that anything was possible, but probable? A way-station public house on an old Rhoni footpath?

"Now, as is only fair and fitting I will take a turn at the telling... This is true story. I come from a very small village, on the High Tarn, remote and rural, and there isn't much in the way of trade or commerce that finds its way to us. But once in a while, there comes a wanderer passing through to someplace.... else."

Pietro would hear her natural rhythm and her pacing. She spoke with ease, despite the awkward deep Tarn accent. In fact, it actually lent a certain charm and credence to her telling.

"Anyway, there was this one evening, when a tired man, weary of the road, obviously lost to be finding us, entered the public house. Now, let me tell you, this was an amazement to us for sure... for the usual custom were those of us who lived there and we all knew each other on sight. But this man was obviously a stranger. Kearns, the man who owned the public house and tended the bar and the kitchen, managed to settle his surprise and greeted the man as he entered, but he noticed the man had a Shadowcat under one arm. it was obvious the ShadowCat was not pleased but the stranger managed to keep a good grip on the little beasty. Such a thing was dangerous and Kearns was right to be a wee bit nervous but he was a publican by trade and craft and he did his job. He stifled his nerves and engaged the man in conversation. He said to him, 'I can't help but noticing that you are carrying a ShadowCat... Why is that?' The traveller looked at the man, and he looked at the ShadowCat, 'Well,' he said, 'It's simple... I got if for my wife.' Kearns considered this a moment, and he seemed to understand and he replied wistfully, 'I wish I could make a trade like that.'

And with that said the story was told. She didn't look for acknowledgement from Pietro, she didn't even react to her own story in the after. She just kept walking along, enjoying the day.

Pietro

He found himself rapidly drawn into the cadence of her storytelling and he listened avidly, nodding occasionally as one point or another was added.

When she finished, Pietro frowned and cocked his head sharply to one side, his eyebrows lowered in confusion. Then he snorted as the punch line sunk in and began to laugh.

"I like that one... a trade like that..." he continued chuckling for a moment.

He looked over and down at her for a long moment before continuing.

"And you said I told my joke well." He shook his head slowly.

"I admit I have met my master."

Lyric

She lowered her head in acceptance of his praise, but the real pleasure was seeing his reaction when he realized her play on words was delivered with a terse twisting of a phrase. A slugline, as she herself had been taught.

"Thank you for you kindness. But I must warn you... You may hear this story again, I fear, if our travels keep us entwined... As I have fairly warned you I must also say that I sometimes tell it differently. Maybe a Merebeast the next time you hear it..."

There was a pause again before Tarnan girl continued, "You did well for your first time before an audience you didn't already know... Like all things in your chosen profession, mine is no different, I practiced a long time before anyone told me I was worthy and the first time under pressure was no where near as good as yours. Have faith in yourself and in what you believe, Ser Pietro... Worthiness is not found in what you do, nor how well you do it... but rather in who you are. Succeed at that, and all the rest comes naturally."

Pietro

He smiled and nodded as he walked, contemplating her words and trying to apply them to his own history and experience.

"There is much truth in your words, Miss Lyric." He went back to adding the honorific to her name as she had persisted in calling him Ser Pietro.

"I have always felt a certain confidence or surety in myself..." he paused and grinned briefly.

"Even occasionally when it was not necessarily warranted, I try to remain true to my basic beliefs and ideals."

Pietro stopped, his eyes drawn to an unusual flower close by the path which they followed. The blossom was a bright red with gold flecks of color scattered on the petals. He stepped to the side of the path, bent and plucked the blossom and then showed it to her.

"Look, Miss Lyric," he said, holding the flower up toward the guidon attached to his lance in its boot on Djinni's saddle.

"It looks like a flower of Lord Rames." He handed the flower to her.

"Do you know by what name this flower is called?"

Lyric

She accepted the pretty flower but seemed a little startled, like hart caught in torchlight.

"I'm from the High Tarn, and the High Side at that," she reminded him. Lot's of rolling lands... and different flowers."

She offered it back to him.

"You found it so you get to name it," she suggested hopefully.

Pietro

"Oh you keep it, please," he said, holding out a hand in a forestalling gesture.

Pietro thought for a long moment, his mind roving over different places and sites he'd transited and seen over the last few years.

"It reminds me of a flower I saw along the borders of the Plains of Kaa which was called a poppy." He nodded decisively.

"So, until we hear different, that is what I intend to call it."

Lyric

"Then poppy it is... Pietro's Poppy."

She mused over that for a time, she didn't know how long, maybe not long at all.

"There might be song there... I don't know yet."

Pietro

"There is a certain amount of... I can't remember the term," he said, frowning briefly and then shrugging.

"When words start off with the same sound..."

[OOC: I know the term, but Pietro has probably only heard the word 'alliteration' once or twice in his life. smile ]

Lyric

Lyric looked at Pietro blankly, wide-eyed and possibly even expectant he would remember the word for which he was searching. This hopefully served to make it quite clear that if an educated Squire of Lord Rames the Protector didn't know a word such as alliteration then there was no way some girl from a backwater village on the High Tarn was going to know it either.

"It was just two words," she mewled in an overly dramatic fashion.

Pietro

"Yes, two words that, instead of rhyming, started with the same sound. There is a term for that, I think."

He smiled at her and made a gesture of negation.

"But it means nothing and less than nothing, Miss Lyric." He shrugged.

"Perhaps it will come to me later. I think I heard a bard, an entertainer, mention the word years back."

Pietro reached out toward her but stopped just short of touching her shoulder.

"If I remember it, I will tell you."

Lyric

And so it would go for the remainder of the hours spent chasing Her across the sky. Some more talking and a lot more walking. But it was always going to be a losing race for the three of them. They would never catch She.

And with She low on the horizon now, Lyric began to look for a suitable place to make camp. Along an old Rhoni footpath, dangerously close to the Dirkwood with night looming. But they had each made several camps alone on the journey that finally brought them together this day.

"Pietro," she said aloud. "It is time we consider resting for the night..."

"...even a meal if you can bring yourself to eat something," she added in a teasing tone.

Pietro

He enjoyed the exercise and the companionship as they traveled together along the Rhoni pathway.

"Perhaps I could scout the area with Djinni's help to find a good campsite. It would save time as she and I can move much faster than I can afoot."

He grinned at the singer of songs.

"And I feel sure I can force down at least a bite or two."

Pietro moved to mount his mare.

Lyric

She moved alongside the squire and his horse and nodded at her pack, non-verbally indicating that he should pass it back to her to carry for the time he was away.

Pietro

The squire nodded and handed her rucksack down to her.

"I won't be gone long."

Twisting in the saddle, he looked all around to make sure there were no possible threats in the area. Seeing nothing, he urged Djinni forward and moved off in a canter searching for a decent campsite, one with running water hopefully.

Lyric

Lyric slung her pack around and shouldered and centered the weight as best she could. Everything she owned had been brought on this journey and she was far from her home. Sometimes she felt that she wasn't far at all though, or at least far enough.

While watching Pietro ride ahead a piece, scouting for a camp, an old piece of a tune she had heard when she was not this age, back in the Then, came to her. Perhaps it was walking so close to the Dirkwood that reminded her of this bit of song but suddenly it had meaning in the Now...

She sang a little as she walked, quietly, letting the melody be her companion as she walked bravely on... She sang in a hauntingly clear voice

"Now there's a tale I'm after singin' that me father used to tell
He said 'twas to enlighten me and chasten me as well
You may laugh about yer elders when She is shining bright
But be sure yer on the Imperial side of Killon's Bridge tonight"

It was not a happy song, that much was for sure. But it did impart a powerful warning as cautionary tales did go. Lyric couldn't remember when exactly she first heard it. Probably a minstrel sharing tales and songs that he had learned in his own travels. However it came to be known by her, it was one of the things that inspired her to become a minstrel as well.

Yes, the ever close Dirkwood and the encroaching fall of night must have brought this song to her mind. She skipped a couple or four verses to sing the final one in the intro. It was a long song, and one that would put you on the edge of your seat, that much was a truth.

"Now me, I'm no believer in such stories as their told
But things there are around us that can chill a heart so bold
And never will I laugh again at me father and his ale
For I have been across the bridge and lived to tell the tale"

She dare not sing this song to Pietro. There'd be no sleeping for either of them then. Every creak and groan and rustle of the wind through the grasses and the rushes would stir the tension tighter and tighter. Eyes darting and not drifting on dream. Oh and this was saying nothing of the howls and cries from deep within the dark and dangerous coppice itself.

She walked along humming now and she found herself hoping that Pietro was wise enough to look only on the south side of the trail for a place to rest the night.

Pietro

Pietro stood in his stirrups and saw a few trees bearing off toward the south in an almost straight line and, thinking that might indicate a stream or creek, glanced over his shoulder to make sure Lyric was all right.

She was following him along the path some ways back, but she seemed to be okay so he cantered toward the trees he'd spotted.

Lyric

"So it seems he likes the sight of something," she said to herself.

Pietro had turned off the trail, taking his horse into the grasses, among the rocks to find his way towards a small stand or copse, more like a line, of trees. She assumed that was his intention, but the truth of it was she barely saw him atop the horse. They were a far piece down the trail and were it not for the glint of the rays of She on all that metal he wore, she might not tell him from the shadows that were lengthening already.

She continued down the trail and figured she might be close enough for him to be back with word if he had found what he sought.

Pietro

He spotted the creek which ran along a declivity between two rows of small threes. Pietro put pressure on Djinni's flanks with his knees and the sensitive mare turned and cantered back to where Lyric was walking.

"There's a good place up there," he said, pointing ahead and to the left toward the copse of trees. He slid down from the saddle and resumed walking alongside the singer.

"Just a few minutes ahead."

Lyric

She nodded at Pietro. It was a fair thing to leave the assessment of the shelter to him. She was wondering though, if a fire would be wise. She had chosen against building one these last several nights. So very close to the shadow of the Dirkwood, maybe too close. Travelling alone, she didn't tempt darkness. But a fire would mean she could bundle a mash and heat it on a rock. It would be so much more filling and enjoyable than grains, seeds and berries, and a bit of gnawing on a meat strip. A fire would be nice.

But the fire would have to be sheltered and preferably concealed below the rise in terrain. There would be no good to come from 'inviting the shadows to dinner'.

"I have some simple trail food, with a little dried meat still, hart, I think... stuff I took from home when I left. It's not much but I will share and I can prepare something.... It won't be fine fare, that's a certainty... Not the kind yer used to in the big cities, but it will keep 'snarkhounds at bay' as the old saying goes... right?"

Pietro

"I would be pleased to share your fare, simple though it might be, Miss Lyric," he said as they approached the selected campsite.

"In my time of traveling, I have made do with much less and considerably worse."

He smiled down at her and then glanced around as was his habit.

"But I probably have more than you do so..." he paused and smiled again.

"Share and share alike."

Arriving at the creek bank, he looked around, frowning in consideration of the possibilities. Finally he nodded and began unsaddling and tending to Djinni.

"If we can find some dry wood underneath one of these trees, we could manage a near smokeless fire," he mused as he slapped the mare on her flank and let her go to the creek to drink her fill before rolling briefly on the small sandy beach, shaking the dust free and then moving off to find some decent graze.

"Remind me later to give Djinni her feedbag. I have an oats and barley mixture she likes. It's good for her, too. She has a bit of a nervous stomach at times and, if she eats only fresh grass for several days in a row, she tends to get the uh... scours."

The squire removed his chain armor and greaves and started gathering tinder and firewood, humming an intriguing tune as he worked.

(OOC: going to move things along as we work for some closure in this thread)

Lyric

While Pietro gathered wood she set about to sort through her remaining food supplies to come up with a meal. When Pietro returned she would see what he hoped to offer to her efforts. As gathering the wood, enough of it, could take a while she then checked out the creek bank to look for some broad leaf plants she could use for a mash wrapping.

She Pietro passed her along the bank on his way back to the encampment, she heard him humming a song. Of course she couldn't resist asking but she would have to wait until she was bringing her leaves back to the camp and passing him yet again.

"What is the song you sing," she asked of him as she crossed his path with her leaves.

Pietro

Choosing a near level spot not far from the creek, Pietro squatted, laid the basis for the fire, tinder and kindling, and got a small blaze started in only a few moments. He fed a few larger sticks and, once he was satisfied it would stay lit, he got to his feet and checked his saddlebags.

"I have a pot of pare-boiled beans flavored with venison that..." he paused and sniffed the mixture.

"Which need to be eaten soon," he said with a grin. "They'll be fine tonight, but... day after tomorrow?" He shrugged.

"I couldn't promise."

He added some water from the stream to the pot and placed it by the fire. Then he paused when he heard her question, looking confused and perhaps a bit embarrassed as if he had been caught doing something... wrong.

"Well, it's a song some of us squires used to sing when no one was listening... back in our training days when we were feeling a bit... rebellious and, like I said, no one was around to overhear our bad manners."

Pietro grinned crookedly and looked around before clearing his throat.

"I only remember one verse... there were a lot of them I've forgotten, but this is one of the... tamer ones."

He began to sing in his untrained, but not unpleasant tenor voice.

"Well the squires pious teachers
And the RamesDay preachers
Praise the virtues of sassafras root.
But what they are drinking
When She is a sinking
Is the drink brewed from forbidden fruit."

[OOC: The GM is welcome to correct sassafras to make it more HWD-like as long as he doesn't destroy the meaning or meter of the song. grin ]

Lyric

Lyric knelt near a rock as she was laying out a couple broad leaves as Pietro began to sign his verse from his early days of training. She began tapping her thigh with one hand as she paused what she was doing to give Pietro her full attention. She smiled broadly despite not understanding a couple of the words, nor the concept behind them. He was a fair singer too and that just made the more complicated rhyming structure come across even better.

She laughed aloud and clapped for her travelling companion when he finished.

"You really must remember other verses... it sounds like fun."

Pietro

"Oh, this is the kind of song where you write your own verses," he said, smiling in appreciation of her response.

"The song has been around for... oh, I have no idea how long and it must have hundreds of verses on all kinds of subjects. It is a favorite in the lower circles of Talantal."

Pietro squatted and stirred the pot.

"It is rumored by some that the original version or at least the tune was written by Thomas Montgomery himself."

Lyric

"There is so much I don't know," she admitted. "Like, I don't know who this Thomas is, and I've never been to Talantal... I really haven't been anywhere. This is my first time away from my home... so much is new and I want to hear it all....I want to learn it all... Every song, every poem... every story..."

And sensing that she was babbling a little in her enthusiasm over hearing something new, she bowed her head and sighed. She tried to focus again on the potatoes she had been carrying. They needed to peeled and boiled. They were the staple in her mash mixture.

"You sang very nice," she offered meekly, without eye contact.

Pietro

"Thank you... that means a lot coming from you... a singer of songs."

He thought a moment.

"The Tales of Thomas Montgomery as I heard is a series of humorous songs about the exploits of a rogue by the name of Thomas Montgomery..." He paused and smiled.

"Many minstrels have their own version of songs about him, each one more unlikely than the last."

Pietro went back to his saddlebags and got out an onion. He cut off a couple of black spots and then sliced the remainder of the onion into the now bubbling beans.

"Alliteration! That's the word! I knew it would come to me."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest, One Day East of Waverider’s Watch
Restday, the Fifth Day of Yrick

Pietro and Lyric... and others

A place to camp on the High Tarn was not hard to find.; it would have been hard not to find some trees for shelter or a small brook for water. Those were some of the few things one could find in abundance here in the middle of nowhere, in the shadow of the Dirkwood Forest.

It was nominally safe, too. Most natural predators had less challenging prey to find than those protected by a campfire, and there should be very few traveling out here – which made the patterns of hoof prints and disturbed swaths of tall grass all the more odd. The High Tarn was thus a sword that sliced both ways – it provided a moderately safe place for travelers to camp and walk, and yet its rolling hills and scattered rock could hide quite a bit from casual sight.

Pietro had already suspected this; many of the nights when he slept beneath the stars probably could have been spent in a sheltered barn or a farmer’s warm main room... except he had merely missed seeing the farmhouse as he rode by. It was not trying to hide in some nefarious manner, it was just the way things were out here.

True, it lacked order and rigor and too much was left to chance. But after riding these hills for so long, there was something to be said for living in a land by the land’s terms.

He had heard that a Knight had once said it was better to work with people than to force them into compliance. Maybe this was somehow like that. Of course, that Knight could not have been from Talantal.

They would never have said anything like that.

And for Lyric, it was simply a new song. It was a different one, too. It was a loose and ever-changing song, not the kind of melody where her betters would frown at a wrong note or a cadence that was not quite the expected, traditional meter.

The High Tarn somehow expected the unexpected. Or perhaps, rather, accepted it.

It was unexpected, something like a new song – finding a stranger walking the same path, being able to name a flower, telling a stranger a funny tale and discovering that laughter was the same no matter where you came from, and that every morning was very different and could be both warming and uncomfortable.

Here, stray roots obviously were both definitely misbehaved and stealthy, their presence not known until one discovered the bruise while undertaking the morning’s first yawn.

Breakfast on the trail was simple – it was what they carried with them, warmed on the hot coals of last night’s fire. But in some way, that simple fare somehow tasted as good as if they were in a fancy manor hall. This was true for both Lyric and Pietro, having spent the last bit alone. It was something most farmer’s wives knew, and why they waited both for their husbands to come in from the fields and berated them when they were late.

Food just tasted better when you didn’t eat alone.

Breakfast finished, cookery gear cleaned, the fire put out and coal scattered, the two newfound companions were ready to continue their way west. And for most of the morning, it was uneventful, save for their own lively conversation, words crafted to fill the empty spaces between here and there.

Once, far off to their right, Lyric caught sight of three figures, three riders, also headed in the same general direction. When she looked again or tried to point them out, they were simply not there. Like missing a farmhouse, they had been swallowed by the landscape.

Though that modest glimpse wasn’t the oddest thing that they saw.

They found themselves on the barest of paths. It was noted in just little bits and pieces, but it was evident that wagons had traveled the same way that they did. There were small stripes of bared earth here and there and those with a sharp eye could tell three things.

First was that the wagons that had passed by here had definitely chosen the easiest way to travel west.

Second, the wagons had passed by recently, for the tall grasses were still disturbed. Now, that was passing strange, as Marketday should have been yesterday and that was when most farmer folks went from one place to another.

Last, there was a destination.

Ahead, brilliantly illuminated in the morning light, was a huge gray rock, larger than any of the nearby hills, crouched close to the Forest. Atop that rock were a small building and, a little bit further away, a stone tower. A few houses clustered at its base and it looked like there may be a bustling of activity there.

But, in truth, there was nothing really odd about that.

What was odd was that just ahead of them they glimpsed three figures walk out of the forest. The Haunted Forest. The Forest That Ate People.

They lost sight of them for a moment, as their own path took them around a small rise.

When they saw them again, there were only two.

One was a girl dressed in bright colors.

The second was dressed in creams and white, her simple pale surcoat trimmed with two stripes of gold.

That would throw even the most staunch Knight for a proverbial loop. Those were distinctive colors.

Had Pietro truly just witnessed a Lady of Attera walk out of the Dirkwood?

Last edited by Wolf; Mon 12/09/16 11:01 UTC.

Pietro

Walking along, he and Lyric had been pointing out to each other the different sights, ordinary and unusual, obvious and less clear of meaning.

"I wonder me if Marketday comes a day late here in these parts?"

But then he paused and his sagged open slightly.

"A Lady of Attera?" He turned an incredulous look at his companion.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

As she stepped onto the Path, she heard the slow clop clop clop of a horse’s steps... just a single horse. That was interesting. Turning toward the sound, Keiko saw the horse... the man of Rames... and another young woman who looked to be near her own age.

“More visitors! How delightful!” she said to the healer, a hint of a laugh in her voice. “I don’t think these are the folks your Mikal D’Allyne is expecting. And I don’t know quite where our stalwart guardsmen are going to stack more people. But it would be a kindness to wait for them, don’t you think?”

Violet eyes turned to watch the newcomers as they approached. The man’s surprise seemed to amuse her for some reason.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe

Lyric

If there was any sense of wariness or unease, Lyric didn't show. In fact she seemed more curious than anything else. Her step quickened to include an occasional skip-step, maybe more like a hop to try to see around the terrain inconveniences.

"I don't know," she said eagerly. Her eyes were alight and her smile was broad. "But maybe we should catch up to them. To find out who they are, is all."

Perhaps a bit of caution would be in order, but it seemed Lyric had none.

Pietro

The squire of Rames felt no unease or hesitation in meeting the Lady of Attera or her female companion (for a moment he wondered about the third person, the one who had disappeared as they had passed around the big rock and his hand went to his sword hilt).

He was, however, very surprised at seeing them appear from within the Dirkwood.

"Certainly we should meet and greet them, Miss Lyric," he said and lifted a hand in greeting as they approached the pair.

Bekkah

"Of course, I always enjoy meeting new people. I assume neither is anyone you've seen here before?" she said to her companion.

As the others caught up to them, she immediately saw the markings of one of Rames followers.

*Please don't make him another one come to protect me.* she thought groaning inwardly. They'd see none of that for they were greeted by a smile, framed by her golden hair.

"A good day to you both."

Lyric

But Lyric was already walking ahead of Pietro as the squire was agreeing. She had quickened her pace now to match her mood.

"New people and new stories," she added, almost pleading for him to hurry.

The one in white issued her own greeting when they were closing the distance, Lyric at a quick-step pace, sometimes adding a skip. and looking back to her comrade who led a horse, with his gear and her pack, at a more normal and respectable pace for an adult.

Lyric returned the wave, with a beaming smile and wide, bright eyes that were trying to take in everything at once. This was a first meeting, in the Now. Things like only happen once in any relationship, good or bad. She was genuinely excited.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Keiko shook her head at the healer’s question. As she watched the others approach, her smile grew as she watched the other girl as she skipped, almost danced toward them. So much happiness! She didn’t really look like someone from any of the Families, but she knew one of her fellow Waveriders somewhere out on the High Tarn didn’t fit the Rhoni stereotype either. She stepped forward to greet her, stopping a respectful distance away.

“Hello! Are you and your knight journeying to Waverider’s Watch or merely passing through? Have you come for the market? I’m Keiko and this...” She gestured back toward the woman wearing white. “...is Lady Bekkah.” The Colonial she spoke was easily understood, with a lilting accent that hinted at the far north area of the Black Mountains.

Her violet eyes reflected the happiness in her smile. With her cloak hanging open, it was easy to see that most of the bright trim around the edging of her tunics was embroidery of seemingly random geometric designs, while the sleeves were dyed various colors — almost as if she used her tunic as a test surface for different pigments. One would not need to be rudely staring to note the daggers at her waist. Keiko knew her hair was less neat than usual, so the red blaze was scattered more haphazardly through her black hair than the usual orderly stripe.

She looked toward the Forest, despite knowing she wouldn’t see anything but the Forest itself, before turning back to the other girl.

“Will you share your name? And that of your companion?”

Lyric

The Tarnan girl was still wearing her lightweight over and under tunics. The over tunic done in thin layers to pretend to a gossamer nature. She also had a heavier hooded cloak in a tartan pattern draped over her shoulders to ward off the morning chill as She was not high enough overhead yet to warm the day. Her thick, long, chestnut brown hair was roughly parted in the middle and she wore a circlet made of flowers and their stems woven together like a fine floral wreath. Her features were attractive, and certainly not plain, but she had made no efforts to accentuate any of her features with powders or rogues or dyes. Her eyes were very blue, and with that wide-eyed child-like look of wonderment and joy she certainly appeared innocent enough.

The openness of the cloak revealed she was neither armed nor armored, not even wearing leathers. As the one who called herself Keiko introduced herself and the Imperial Lady in White, Lyric couldn't help but get caught up, to the point of mezmerization, in the patterns of the Rhoni girl's brightly colored clothing. She smiled broadly as she cocked her head slightly, considering angles to look at the embroidery and shapes.

Lyric didn't immediately answer Keiko's first questions. Instead she seemed wholly focused on seeing everything there was to see about these two new acquaintances.

It wasn't until she heard the exotic girl, Keiko, ask her to share her name that Lyric realized she was letting The Now slip by too much.

She made a quick glance to Pietro and Djinni, only to see them a few long steps away still but coming close now. She returned her attention to the new arrivals on the trail.

"If you wish to be called Lyric as well, then YES, we can share my name," she said with a Highside Tarnan accent "But I think your own name is very pretty... very expressive in the harshness of using the same tone for each of the two parts. Simple in its parts to make a more complicated whole..."

As Pietro was now close, she let that thought slide away and spoke her own form of introduction for her friend.

"Ser Pietro isn't my Knight. He is Lord Rames' Knight... and he isn't a Knight, he's a Squire." She didn't say that in a way meant to demean him, but it was more like she was repeating the distinction she had been told, and treating the difference as though one were still an equal to the other. And thus the rambling, carefree, whimsy could not be escaped. "A very nice one too... generous and kind... and very honorable too... and good measure of cute to look as well... and so, if'n you have an interest then know I am not his doxy and you are free to pursue him in courtship if'n you wish."

Never once did her genuine smile falter. Nor did she seem to realize she was speaking too much.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She watched the other girl studying — intently, and yet not — her tunic trimmings. Keiko understood the desire to sometimes get lost in the patterns, especially those that had been stitched by Grandmother on the hem. But when Lyric finally did share her name, Keiko giggled.

“No, thank you. My name, I think, suits me better... although only because I have become so accustomed to it, and I like it, too, for my mother gave it to me. That is only the short part of my name, though. The whole of it is Keiko kha’Chiyo kha’Masuyo kha’Tsukiko kha’Chouko khal’Nakano Hoshiko. It sounds like a song, don’t you think? I often do.

“But Lyric is a lovely name, as well. Does it mean just exactly as it sounds... that you are a singer? I love to sing, and am always happy to find others who would sing with me.”

She looked over at the squire.

“Serpietro... a squire. An unusual name, that is. And I can never remember how to tell the difference between squire and knight... something about belts, or some such. Not all my lessons stick in my brain as well as others, and that might be one of them. I do know of the Lord Rames, and the Lord Hastur, and the Lady Attera — Lady Bekkah serves her — and the One Who Isn’t Named. The Imperials. Lady Bekkah’s sister is a Knight, but she is a Knight of the Lady Sun. I’d like to meet her. She sounds very nice. But she is not here.” She glanced over her shoulder at Bekkah for a moment before continuing. “Lady Bekkah misses her, and her voice sounds sad when she talks about her,” she murmured.

But then she nodded at the further information about the squire. “I have heard of squires and knights who were not very nice, so it is a good thing that Serpietro is a good one. But I’m afraid I’m not allowed to court him, so he is free to be unencumbered by us both.”

Keiko was wholly aware of how much she was talking and, as it was her nature to be talkative except for when listening was a better alternative, it didn’t bother her in the least. Right here and right now, this felt to be a comfortable balance in the currents of the World. Although it was not her habit to attend the Restday market, it would be kind to let Missus Miller to let her know she was well. But hospitality was also important, as she learned from the Miller himself when first came to the tiny village.

The time for returning to her little room would arrive when it did. Until then, Keiko would ride this wave.

But she did note that she probably had a tiny pot of pigment that matched Lyric’s eyes.

Bekkah

The new girl, Lyric introduced herself and in a flurry the two younger women seemed to take off in chatter as if it had been stored up for ages. The innocence of it made her smile and as the squire approached, she winked up at him as she glanced from girl to girl and back to him.

She said nothing else, letting the man have a chance to speak himself as she knew he would want to properly introduce himself, probably not from atop his horse.

Pietro

Walking along behind the singer of songs, leading his mount, Pietro put his right arm across his chest, fist clenched over his heart, and opened his mouth to greet first the Lady of Attera, but then Lyric and the other young woman started conversing back and forth almost two quickly for him to follow. He closed his mouth, leaving his greeting - for the moment - unsaid.

When a brief pause gave him opportunity, just as the Lady Healer surprised him with a perhaps conspiratorial wink, the squire spoke.

"I give you greetings in the name of Lord Rames the Protector," he said in a not quite formal tone. "Lady Bekkah," he nodded toward her. "Miss Keiko."

"My name is not Ser Pietro," he continued with an almost embarrassed smile toward Lyric.

"That is the form of address Miss Lyric uses for me. My name is Pietro. More fully, Pietro Keir Hansson, son of Hans Keurig, late of Tantalal, and squire in the service of Lord Rames the Protector."

"And uh..." he paused and cleared his throat. "I am not ah... currently seeking a lady to court."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Tilting her head to one side, Keiko regarded the squire intently for a moment, and then blinked slowly.

“Well, then, you have my apologies, Pietro Keir Hansson of Talantal. How is it that you prefer to be addressed? And it is likely a good thing you are not seeking to court anyone, as I doubt there is anyone here to court, unless Lady Bekkah has a desire to be courted, for Dama Kadri is already married to the very fine Lord Dominic Korie, also of Talantal, and the farmers’ daughters...”

Keiko paused for a breath, and to think for a second.

“Perhaps their mothers might think them of an age to be courted but perhaps not, even though you are a squire of Lord Rames and, according to Lyric, a fine and good squire, too.” She nodded decisively. “Have you met Lord Dominic? I have recently come to learn what a good and honorable man he is. He is well-respected here.”

She looked beyond him, behind him, along the trail he and Lyric had traveled.

“May I ask, Pietro of Talatal, from where you have come that you walk the Path of the Waveriders? I am merely curious, and certainly would never chide one of your esteemed position for traveling the Path of my long ago kinsfolk.”

Although the currents remained calm and the wave she rode was gentle, this was an interesting new pebble that could cause ripples... great ones, small ones... there was no way to know. Yet.

Pietro

"I do not worry overmuch over how I am addressed but, given my preference, I would prefer being called Pietro."

The squire looked a little uncomfortable when Keiko started analyzing his courtship prospects, but he had met women before who, once they started talking, had no ready ability to slow down or stop the river of information which tended to run unchecked from brain to mouth. He had learned to cope with it, not perfectly, but well enough to get by.

His eyes did widen, though, when Keiko mentioned that the new wife of Lord Dominic Korie was present, here in this out of the way hamlet on the edge of the Dirkwood.

It is still in Lord Dominic's domain, however, so mayhap the coincidence is not too great..." he thought after a moment.

"My father serves Khorall Korie as Knight Marshall and I was raised and received my early training in and around Talantal. So, while I am not personally familiar with Lord Dominic, I have seen him from a distance and, of course, have known of him near all my life."

He paused just a moment.

"I had just recently learned of the Lord's nuptials and would wish to offer his bride my congratulations and felicitations."

The Waveriders? Pietro frowned for a moment in thought. He wondered if this had something to do with the Rhoni's fabled ability to read the fates of other people. Instinctively, he reached up and touched the darksteel wagon wheel shaped ornament which dangled from the silver chain about his neck.

"Just recently, I have arrived here from the lands of House Montague and Brockman's Holdfast, but I have been wandering the lands of the Heartwood for over seven years now... doing my best to learn to serve my Lord Rames as best I can."

OOC: Inserted above where Pietro clarifies he is not seeking a lady to court- My writing got interrupted by the arrival of unannounced guests- sorry

Lyric

The name she thought sounded like a song. Maybe she was right, but even if it wasn't a song, it was long and had a poetic rhythm. More likely, Lyric believed the name told a story. And that alone intrigued more than anything else. A lineage told through names. In fact, Lyric almost missed the entirety of what Keiko was saying next as she tried to remember the whole name. She couldn't but she was hopeful that in adopting just two syllables by her own choice Keiko would not be offended if she couldn't remember the name that told her only one time thus far.

Pietro had introduced himself and clarified a few things as well, especially the part about his availability. It didn't offend Lyric any, for she knew Pietro was the one best suited to tell his own story... she only offered a prologue. Besides, what harm could it cause to

"Voice," she replied. "It means voice... and Yes, I have been gifted with a fair one I have used to sing."

Bekkah

She hid her amusement at Pietro's discomfort about seeking a lady to court. She wondered if the other two women were simply toying with him.

The last part of his statement caught her attention.

"You've been wandering the lands for years. I undertook a similar expedition on my own for years to see the people of the lands. It truly shaped who I am, I'd be interested to hear of your experiences if you have the time."

Her smile to him was genuine and not flirtatious. She was clearly not teasing him.

Before he could answer, she turned to Lyric.

"I would love to hear you sing. While I am a fair dancer, I've little singing talent, but I do delight in hearing those gifted with a lovely voice."

OOC: This will follow Pietro's latest- best I can do so that I am not speaking to everything in one long post

Lyric

After she responded to Keiko, the Rhoni girl in the brightly colored clothing directed her attention to Pietro. Lyric listened for a time. Still there were clarifications and the apologies for misinterpretations. Lyric was sure that such miscommunications were her fault, but she meant no disrespect and hoped none had been taken. Such things as they discussed though were hardly the most important things Lyric could imagine though. It was as if the details were more important than the experience. To Lyric the experience was the most important aspect of this, and the details were less so, especially to a storyteller.

"To answer your question about walking this trail also means I should answer an earlier question. I am not going anywhere with any particular purpose. I saw a path and I took it. It was away from where I came in the Then and I am still walking it in the Now. I met Ser Pietro along the way, or rather he met me... and we agreed to walk together. That there is a village ahead was unknown to me, but not unwelcome. I will meet more people and hear more stories... maybe tell a story or two myself. And Songs. I want to hear every song there is while I journey wherever the roads, trails, and paths take me. Th journey is more important than the destination. The Journey is an experience. It is life. It is living."

She probably didn't answer a question or two to the fullest desire of the questioner, but it was the answer that she shared all the same.

The Lady of Attera gave her the fullness of her attention and that was a blessing in itself.

"I am a minstrel, and not of a worldly nature, but I would be honored to sing for you. I think my voice is fair enough to call myself a minstrel... but I hope I don't disappoint you."

Pietro

Pietro started to reply that, of course, he would be pleased and willing to share his experiences with her, but she turned to Lyric before he could do so.

He could tell her so later, he supposed.

As a squire of Rames, he could not imagine refusing a request from a Lady of Attera, but he was sure she knew that and perhaps was only being polite in phrasing it as a request.

"Miss Lyric has a lovely singing voice."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“I would be pleased to sing with you, Lyric... and exchange songs, if you’d like. Some of the songs I know are in languages rarely spoken here, while some are not spoken at all.”

The conversation on the topic of traveling — by all three of the others — caught Keiko’s attention even more than the prospect of singing. Particularly Lyric’s phrasing of how she came to be journeying. The why and the not-where...

Her straightforward and unadorned words were used to explain a fundamental thing that was like and not-like the Rhoni experience.

Once more, the currents ran swiftly and deeply; the young Rhoni paused a moment, looking in the direction of the Forest, before choosing a propitious wave and balancing carefully.

“You expressed an interest in conveying your greetings to Dama Kadri, Squire Pietro,” she said as she fixed her gaze on him, her eyes twinkling with either merriment or mischief — or possibly both. “Perhaps now is the time to continue this journey so that you might achieve that goal.”

Her smile was somewhat rueful as she turned to Lady Bekkah. “And perhaps our friends, both yours and mine, will have their minds set to rest upon our return. It is an unusual thing, after all, to spend the night in the Forest.”

Lyric

She wanted to ask, what was a language truly if it was not spoken? And maybe, how could it be a language if not spoken? Gestures? Yes, maybe that was it. There had to be many ways to communicate beyond the conventional spoken and sung word. But, then again, maybe that was just her own naivete at work, for it might have been a figure of speech, or a way of saying something that Lyric simply didn't understand.

In the small villages and the out of the way places, places removed from the influences of 'civilized' things, far from the reach of Talantal, one could only know so much Colonial Imperial. To know more, to understand better, required she get out and experience this journey herself.

The conversation turned anyway. It turned so very fast. This would be another adjustment for Lyric. Her life to this date was so much less hurried and rushed... but it gave her a certain perspective on the immediacy of things she had been told.

At the mention of spending a night within the forest Lyric's eyes widened. It was both apprehension and wonderment. She glanced to the forest, as if to both reassure herself in the distance and to lament the notion she was not able to experience something so greatly unknown to her. Her own brief experience, all too short and yet far too long, left her with profoundly mixed emotions. It was something both terrifying and exhilarating to her. There was a deep sadness and a pain, but also an anger and a rage... She wanted to understand it but the wiser inclinations were to respect it more and from further away.

Keiko mentioned there were others ahead on the trail or in what might be a village just ahead, and that these companions were friends to the Girl in Colors and the Lady of Attera. A friend was good to have. But more than one? Now that was a treasure to be honored.

"And that is a story I would like to hear," she remarked with a note of wistfulness. "But these are your friends you speak of, and I have none... Well, I have Pietro but we are only just met. It would be wrong of me to speak for his sentiments toward me."

Pietro

The squire smiled and rubbed his mouth as if it itched or perhaps to cover an incipient grin or even a chuckle.

She was an odd little thing for sure. Nice, yes, he liked her, but she was more than a little strange. If nothing else, her different slant at looking at things was never predictable.

"I would be honored to have you as a friend, Miss Lyric."

Lyric

Lyric blushed a little, and then seemed surprised at the reaction itself. But that moment fueled a sense of happiness. Quickly though she looked at Pietro and then slightly away. "Thank you," she replied. A part of her was enraptured by the experience of how Pietro's words made her feel.

"I now have a friend," she said as she turned back to Keiko.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She clapped her hands together softly, joyfully.

“Friends are wonderful. I’ve lived in the village since just before Midsummers. I stay with the Miller and his wife, and they’re my friends even when Missus Miller gets growly grumpy. And I like the farmers and their wives and their children, but I don’t know them well enough to say they are friends... just that they could be. But Missus Heatherson does make the very best meat pies, and I like to get one each week.”

Keiko nodded to the Atteran. “Lady Bekkah is my friend. But most of my friends live in the Forest, and I only see them on Marketday. Well, except for Renyard, who is quite scholarly. And Broke, who goes to the Larsens’ Village. Sometimes they visit on days that aren’t Marketday, but not today. Today is the day for regular folks to have their market.”

She sighed and gazed toward the west for a moment. “Maybe Broke will take me to the Larsens’ Village sometime. I have heard so many stories about the Sea of Opals and the Grand Cathedral there. Renyard has been to Trundle as I have, and perhaps has even seen the Sea of Pearls as I have. I wonder if he has seen the Sea of Opals. I must remember to ask him.”

Then she smiled brightly at Lyric. “Perhaps we might become friends, too... you and I. We will see where the currents take us. Sometimes one knows quickly if another will be a friend. Sometimes it takes a long time.”

Keiko shrugged, unconcerned about the amount of time it may or may not take to consider Lyric a friend.

“And the Tale of the Night in the Forest...” She sighed. “I think Bekkah’s friends will like to hear the story, too, so I will tell the whole of it to them and to you when we reach the village and they are ready to hear it. Of course, if it takes all day for them to be ready to hear the whole tale, then I will tell you sooner.

“But the summary of the tale is simply that one of my friends was... perhaps it would be accurate to say that she was not quite feeling her usual self. So Lady Bekkah and I traveled to my friends’ Home, I helped my friend feel better, stories were told, and dinner was eaten — as it was too late to return to the village. And so now... we are returning!”

Lyric

Lyric's eyes widened as Keiko spoke so rapidly and excitedly. She wanted to join in the sheer exuberance of it, but all the names and places and topic changes, all coming so fast began to overwhelm Lyric. Talk of becoming friends was a highlight and then there was the tale itself. It sounded like a wondrous adventure, this night in the forest did. But talk of currents like water and air dragged Lyric to think on that before Keiko went on to something else... she tried to pick things out and hold onto them... currents and Waveriders Reach... there was a harmony to be found, Lyric was sure but she had so little context to make sense of any of it yet. Keiko was, no doubt, the most frenetic person Lyric had ever known. The Now never moved so fast as it did right now for the Tarnan Girl.The thought of currents came again and there was only a moment to ponder it, for the metaphor seemed apt. Lyric felt adrift, pushed and pulled, and unable to make things slow down.

"Oh My," was all she could utter as thoughts slipped away and Lyric had to take a moment to close her eyes and find her place in the Now again. This might be harder than she thought. But she would have to try. She had to learn and adapt.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Oh. Oh, oh, oh, oh!”

Keiko’s eyes were wide as she looked at Lyric.

“Sorry.”

She bit her lip but, despite her first instinct, did not reach out to the other girl. That did not seem... correct. Not now.

“I talk a lot. Sorry.

“Um... I can try to talk less. Or... or... Well, is there something that would help you?”

Lyric

There was a moment or three of stillness from the point that Keiko's last word was uttered to when Lyric's eyes finally opened again. A broad smile spread across her face, lighting up her visage. She shook her head softly.

"No," she replied gently and evenly. "You must not change. This is who you are. Never apologize for that. You meant no harm and you caused no harm. I just had to remember who I am."

She reached out her hand to touch Keiko's face, but didn't make contact. She simply held the hand close to the Girl of Many Colors' face and allowed her to decide if she wanted to be touched.

"I am far from my home now, and far from the things I know. But that is part of the Journey. So, do not worry and do not fret. I will learn. I will get better at this 'friend' thing. I promise."

There was a child-like innocence to match her youthful appearance. She was very young to be travelling alone. Well, she had been alone until yesterday when Pietro caught up to her on the Rhoni trail so close to the Dirkwood forest, and now where all four of them had just met.

"If there is anything you could do to help... It might be a lot to ask, and I might be undeserving of it... Maybe I would hope you will be patient with me while we are together?"

Pietro

"It is my pleasure, Miss Lyric, and no thanks are needed," he said but the singer of songs and teller of tales were again enjoined in their back and forth pitter patter of conversation, much like, Pietro thought, the spattering of large drops of rain which tended to precede a thunderstorm.

He hoped their talk would not lead to a storm.

Pietro would have liked to hear more of this nightlong adventure into the Dirkwood. Perhaps later an opportunity would arise.

Bemusedly he glanced back and forth from Keiko to Lyric with an occasional visual visit to the Lady of Attera to see if she might share his reaction to the young women's talk.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She watched Lyric, her smile returning a bit as the other girl spoke. Instead of leaning against Lyric’s hand as some might do, Keiko reached up and wrapped her small hand around Lyric’s. She listened to the words as she would listen to Renyard’s words… for there was often wisdom in tone and body language. That was a lesson from Grandmother, one that was most necessary to remember at Festivals. But here and now, on this Path, she paused after Lyric finished speaking, enfolding the other girl’s hand now within the cocoon of her two small hands held between them at the level of her heart.

Keiko waited for three heartbeats… for six… for nine as she studied Lyric’s features.

“I, too, am far from home. I understand being away from everything familiar.” Her smile grew to something more normal for her as she held Lyric’s hand – gently, softly, as delicately as she might hold her littlest sister’s hand, as lightly as she might hold her friend Tomomi’s very small hand.

“The Journey – walking the World – is, indeed, a time for learning. We are both learning, are we not?

“Patience is not too great a thing to ask, nor is it too great a thing to give. If you would tell me what caused you to have the need to remember yourself, I will try to do less of it while you are learning.”

Keiko’s smile was once more bright, causes the edges of her eyes to crinkle with her happiness.

“That is called compromise... it is a good thing between friends who are very different.”

That Lyric might lose herself for a moment – in Keiko’s torrent of words or in anything else – was not something the Rhoni found at all strange or unnerving. After all, Keiko could find the shifting colors of Her journey over the edge of the world or the flow of paint on pasteboard to be endlessly mesmerizing at times.

Lyric

It was Lyric's right hand, small of light of bone. Her fingers were long and slender. The nails showed that once they were well manicured, but not so much now. There was dirt under the short nails and even an abrasion across two of her knuckles where she might have scraped them across a rock. Her other hand had calloused fingertips and an abrasion on the heel from when she had tripped over an outcropping of rocks nestled in the grasses where she wandered off the trail to look at a butterfly. But that other hand was not the one Keiko held.

Her eyes were deeply blue but paler and not the kind of vibrant blue that made a person think the light they reflected was from within. No, Lyric's blue eyes were the kind of blue that might dull the sharpness of a glint of light rather than radiate it. Her facial features were such that those eyes did dominate and hold attention. She met Keiko's attentive consideration with equal resolve, making those blue eyes appear to be deep pools.

Her skin was a pale complexion and relatively free of marks. And she appeared to have all of her teeth, at least those that could be seen when she smile broadly as she often did. Her hair was chestnut brown and in need of washing, but it had been combed recently.

When she spoke, it was as if she were addressing all three of those around her. Her voice was deliberate and measured.

"I have found that sometimes things go too fast for me. I want to hear every word and hold onto every smell and enjoy every glimpse of something new, but then more things come, and ... well, if I let it, I get overwhelmed by it. But I am learning and getting better at keeping up with it. You were very new and so I needed to pause and remember who I am and what I am learning. I am sorry if I caused you to worry."

She paused as though she were mentally searching for a way to express her thoughts better.

"Let me explain differently. Life in my home was quiet and slower. It was all I ever knew. No one new ever comes to my home either. We lived far from any paths or roads so I always figured no one could find us. It seems like that has always been the way of things though. I had never been away from my home either... ever... until now."

She seemed satisfied with that approach. And then she focused more on Keiko.

"I understand compromise," she replied softly as Keiko was very near to her. "...although I have seen precious little of it in my life. It would be refreshing to see what that is like for a change. But again I must say that I don't want you to change. I want to experience who you are, just the way you are. All of you. Each of you. That is part of my Journey, part of why I am on a Journey. I want to meet people, listen to them, hear their stories and songs, and learn from them. But I don't want you or anyone to change 'because' I might struggle... be patient, yes, but not change."

Pietro

The squire did not find it in any way amazing or overly notable that both Keiko and Lyric were far away from home. He shrugged mentally.

He, too, was far away from home but, then again, he was not at all sure he now had a home. Probably not. He certainly did not consider Talantal a home, but he didn't really feel that he needed a home, at least not one close by.

Pietro moved to Djinni's side and scratched the mare behind her ears and slapped her neck affectionately. Djinni trembled slightly in enjoyment, but then went back to grazing.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Keiko nodded slowly, understanding — at least a little — the cause of Lyric’s distress. Or not-distress? Something else? Did it matter? Keiko decided that it did not matter what, precisely, affected or afflicted Lyric... or even that it simply seemed to be a part of who she was.

Yes. There it was... the balance. Lyric was Lyric was Lyric!

“You have pretty hands,” she noted as she let go of Lyric’s hand. “Ah! I should say that you have one pretty hand and one hand that is also possibly pretty.”

Then she curtsied to Lyric. It was in no way courtly, but it was quite graceful... almost an oft-repeated pattern of a dance. “I have given up whatever worry I had, and will see you for who you are — a fellow traveler upon the World.”

She nodded once; that was that. Everything else was part of the wonder of learning new things. While she hadn’t been away from her Family’s Caravan all that long, it did occur to her that so few people sought out the interesting things of the World, the new things, the wondrous things. Of course, one did sometimes come across things that were less than pleasant on the journey, but that too was... well, part of the balance of all things.

“Living in such a place...” Keiko thought about that for a moment, then shook her head. “It is hard for me to imagine that. The nearest thing I can compare it to would be the followers of Risha, who are tied to their lands. So nice, the ones I’ve met. But to have no visitors? Ever?”

Keiko did try to comprehend the reality Lyric presented, but it was not easy for one whose home was a wagon. At least until her home became a dormer room in a millhouse.

And she took in Lyric’s softer response, too, feeling the currents gently eddying around. And still, there were no great waves... which was good.

“Hmm. There are those beyond the Black Mountains, the Princes of the Thousand Towers, who believe — or so it seems — that a good compromise is doing what they say.” Keiko shrugged. “So unyielding... always creating the force that opposes them by their rigid ways.”

As the Rhoni paused to allow time for Lyric to absorb that, she realized it was no different than her initial attempts at communication with the Small Kin. How silly of her to forget that so easily! Perhaps it was the joy that would not leave her because she had been able to help her friend yesterday.

“This is Truth, Lyric... I can only be Keiko of the Nakano Family. I cannot be anyone or anything that I am not. To say things in a different way to help you understand is not me changing... it is recognizing that there are many ways to be in the World. I am a daughter, a sister, a friend. I am a Rhoni, I am a Card Reader. I like to talk, and I like to learn.”

She looked over at Pietro and his horse. Then she looked at the Lady Bekkah, who was waiting for them very patiently. Her friends were probably waiting to talk to her. The Jvrillian seemed... brusk? And Dama Kadri was certainly odd. And Keiko did not want to even think about that very rude Rhoni companion of theirs... although Lady Bekkah did promise to repair the terrible social blunder he had made. That would be good. Oh, and she never did get her meat pie yesterday... maybe Missus Heatherson would have enough today so there would be one left after the Merchants descended on the village.

She grinned as she opened the pouch at her belt and took out the chunk of bread from breakfast.

“Would you like to try some of this cinnamon bread?” she asked Lyric. “I did not watch my friends make it, so I cannot say with certainty what is in it beyond... bread things? And cinnamon. And honey, I think.”

Keiko stood poised to tear the bread and give Lyric a piece if she desired it.

Pietro

When Keiko mentioned being Rhoni born, the squire's hand went to the darksteel wagon wheel shaped ornament hanging from the silver chain about his neck. He said nothing, but the wagon wheel gave a tiny tinkling sound as he spun it on its axle.

Bekkah

She listened as she walked. The young girl was quite different. She half wondered how she'd made it this far safely. She knew the color of her robes and her Goddess protected her when she'd been about in the lands. The girl seemed completely innocent and naive.

*Perhaps a good thing, she found a squire of Rames along the road.* she thought.

Later, she hoped to sit and talk to the girl, and hear her sing. She suspected she was more than simply fair. In fact, stories of the fairy folk made her look at the girl even more carefully.

Lyric

At the mention of Risha, Lyric's eyes widened a little, and she tried to make a surreptitious sidelong glance at Pietro to see if he noticed what the Rhoni girl had said. Lyric didn't have to know everything about the Imperial Gods and the ways of those who followed them to know there could be issue taken betwixt them and the Pagan believers, especially those who might live in remote places and who believed in things that were older... She offered no comment though. Pietro was her friend. He had said so and it was probably best not to give anyone a reason to think such a gift as friendship was given to her too hastily.

As to visitors, she shrugged a little but shook her head at the same time. "Not that I can remember." She simply didn't want to say too much for fear that she would have to make a falsehood to people who wanted to be friends. And she wanted to be a friend. But some things could make all of that very hard, and maybe impossible.

"Some of my people have gone out into the World, but I was always taught that outsiders were not welcome, not trusted, and dangerous... But I didn't want to believe that...."

And then Keiko offered a confection treat called sinoman bread and Lyric was no longer thinking about what happened next in the telling of her story. Lyric's voice trailed off and she was transfixed by the treat. Pietro would remember that look, from when he offered her the apple.

"I like honey," she said in that wistful soft voice again, eyes still fixed on the bread. She wanted to reach out, with palms open, but she glanced at Keiko to make sure it was okay since the Rhoni girl hadn't actually offered it to her yet. Odd that, Pietro phrased it in a similar way, asking if she would like it or like to try it. Yes. Of course the answer was yes.

"Yes, please," she added when she realized there must be custom and formality to sharing things. "I don't believe I have ever had sinoman bread."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Noting Lyric’s look at her mention of Risha, Keiko whispered, “Far from the keeps, there is more attention paid to the old ways, and few look askance at such practices. If you harm none, there’s no need to involve those who see things more... rigidly.”

An odd phrasing that was, almost as if this Rhoni saw little difference between Eastern Princes and Imperial Nobles if those Nobles were not kind to those they purported to serve and protect. And perhaps — because the Rhoni were by choice, by tradition, and by nature outside of the complex relationships of the various gods and goddesses — the young Card Reader had an interesting and valid, if controversial, point.

Then she nodded at Lyric’s words. “There are many dangers in the World, so in that regard your teachings are true. But there is also beauty and safety and kindness enough to balance the danger.” She smiled crookedly. “Of course, it helps to walk the World with others. It divides and lessens some of the dangers. And it always has the potential to increase the good.”

Wasn’t that a small part of why she journeyed, too? Oh, certainly there was the Word of the Elders, and one could not simply disobey them. If a Younger disagreed, the Younger should have a reason as strong as Darksteel for doing so. And that saying reminded Keiko that she might never look upon Darksteel again in the same way. Ah, but enough of that... there would be time later for that tale. Lyric was walking the World to learn of it, and so was she. And for a time, it would appear that they would be able to walk and learn of the World’s wonders together.

That was a comfortable thought.

Keiko smiled at the wistful sound of Lyric’s admission. And in watching her, another thing occurred to her... this small and secluded home of hers might have very different customs. She had certainly discovered enough of that in her travels with the Family.

“It is a politeness to ask if another would like to share a small bit of food,” she said as she broke the piece of bread into four smaller chunks. “This way, the other may decline if they feel it would be an imposition because they have nothing to share in return.” She handed one of the pieces of bread to Lyric. “I gift this freely with no expectations... merely a hope that you will enjoy your first piece of cinnamon bread.”

“Squire Pietro, Lady Bekkah... would you like a piece of cinnamon bread?”

The pieces of bread were perhaps now as long and as wide as the distance from first to second knuckle of her thumb, and less than half that as thick. Not that she had managed to break the break evenly, of course. But she had offered the largest piece to Lyric, keeping the smallest portion for herself. After all, she had already eaten some of the bread at breakfast. She would, of course, share the remaining pieces if the Squire and the Lady wanted some...

But Keiko was more interested in seeing if Lyric would like it.

“Cinnamon — well, all spices, really — comes from the East. It’s not always easy to get. Cinnamon and vanilla are my favorites.”

Bekkah

"Thank you but no. I had enough to eat this morning."

She continued to eye the young girl. More and more the girl made her quite curious. Even more so than Keiko who had already proven to be full of interesting surprises.

[ooc: If they've stopped, she'd certainly start walking again.]

Pietro

He noticed the odd, quickly fading look on Lyric's face as she glanced at him... seemingly in response to something Keiko had said. Pietro frowned briefly and thought over what he'd just heard.

The mention of Risha? Perhaps, but Risha was nearly the most innocuous of pagan gods, goddess of fertility and farming and the like as he remembered. Certainly not one against which to get up one's guard.

Besides, Pietro was not one to look for pagan beliefs in order to punish them or to proselytize them into the service of one of the Imperial deities. He tended to think of them as ones who had not yet had the time to come by their own decision to such worship.

But Keiko was offering cinnamon bread? Pietro grinned and, for a moment, gave anyone watching a good idea of what he must have looked like as a little boy.

"Yes, please," he said, extending his hand. "I do enjoy cinnamon sweets."

Lyric

The words of wisdom seemed like sound advice. Still she would rather not test the theory in real life if she could avoid it. The whole notion of having the value of your life equated to firewood was chilling to say the least. It was only fair that these people, who wanted to be her friend know something about her, but maybe not everything... at least not out loud... not yet.

It was probably proper to accept the gift given freely without expectations in a proper, respectful , and dignified fashion. But she could already feel her mouth filling with saliva and the excitement was building for the moment when she experienced this latest flavor extravaganza. So much so, her eyes seemed ready to burst if they got any bigger. It took an extraordinary act of will to calm herself and breathe slowly, through her nose, and offer her right hand in that proper display of friendly etiquette... and not act like a wolf-raised little girl.

"Thank you," she said with an accompanying nod to Keiko with the delectable treat in hand now. She turned, skipping a step or two with the last remnants of decorum being shed, and she caught up to the Lady of Attera.

In those two or three paces she had brought the bread to her nose to inhale the aroma deeply. Her eyes fluttering as she did and her smile growing. And when she could no longer resist, she opened her mouth and eased the end of the honey and 'sinoman' pastry inside, biting down and pressing it against her tongue to allow the flavors to explode. She shuddered, closed her eyes tightly but briefly and sighed, although, truth be told, she looked like a small Tarnan ground squirrel with its cheeks stuffed from a successful forage.

Pietro

The sweet bread was tasty and he enjoyed it immensely, but he enjoyed even more Lyric's reaction.

Pietro chuckled slightly as a thought occurred to him. He was a fair Horses and Castles player at best but he felt sure he could easily best the young minstrel at such a contest.

She certainly did not hide her feelings.

Last edited by Exeter; Fri 16/09/16 00:49 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
[[ Horses and Castles ... not doublebluff ... that's an Allaine game and well, uhm, I think Pietro would have a lot of problems trying to pass as on of the Allaines.

[OOC: Okay... Post edited.]

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Hey, there are male Allaines! Somewhere. There must be, right? Right. Well... hmmm. Genetically speaking, it's true. But they'd probably take their father's surname, wouldn't they? Or do you want me to blather about the Allaine family in PM? It's not like anyone but Bekkah is really going to care, and we all know that Bekkah is a Sidekick[tm].

But he doesn't have red hair, so... yeah. There's that. Hee hee hee

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

At Lady Bekkah’s polite refusal and the Squire’s enthusiastic acceptance, Keiko gave two pieces of the bread to him before eating the last piece herself. She grinned as she watched Lyric skip up to join Lady Bekkah and actually giggled at her reaction to tasting the cinnamon bread. It was something she understood herself... although she wasn’t quite as demonstrative when discovering new and wonderful taste sensations.

But those little candies that Father and the Uncles could only find in the markets of Trundle — the markets where she was absolutely not allowed to go — those made her as happy as cinnamon bread obviously made Lyric. So rare, and most folks didn’t even like them... Oh! Licorice balls! So good.

Keiko dropped back to speak with the Squire, as it appeared that Lyric might attempt to engage the very quiet but so very kind Healer in conversation.

“Isn’t it a delight to see someone savor life as much as Lyric does? Why, if she had not said she was from a place where few left and even fewer visited, I would almost guess she was a Rhoni!” Keiko smiled at the Squire.

“Your horse is quite noble with excellent conformation, Squire Pietro. I am more used to the draft horses that pull our wagons. I wish my brother could see her,” she said almost wistfully, almost sadly. “He is very good with the horses and would pepper you with questions all day! I will only ask... what is her name? And would she mind much if I were to touch her quite carefully and properly and without startling her? Some horses can be... irritable.”

Bekkah

She smiled at the young girl as she enjoyed the cinnamon bread.

"Quite a tasty thing, isn't it?" she said still smiling.

"I've traveled a good part of the lands near here, certainly most places that one could walk to. Where are you from Lyric? Perhaps I've traveled to your village."

Lyric

"Uhhh..."

Lyric started to respond, but she had a mouthful of 'sinoman' bread and she paused for worry of choking, and well, the impoliteness of 'speaking with your mouth full'. She covered her mouth with her free hand and tried to chew and swallow as quickly as she could. It became an exaggerated gesture after about ten seconds though.

She cleared the pastry and took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were going to start speaking right then. You were really quiet after saying you wanted to listen to me sing."

She cleared her throat but even that was a delicate sound. It was clear the bread had left her a little dry-mouthed. She seemed a embarrassed that she was so delayed in responding. Her hand was covering her mouth again and she shook her head apologetically.

"Kethy's Woods?"

"My people don't like outsiders much, and, well... No disrespect meant Lady but they aren't all that fond of Imperial folks much at all...

There was a pause as she considered the indelicacy of her own words and her eyes widened. "But not me, No Lady... I am fine and happy to be in your company... quite honored in fact that you would be so generous to walk with me and talk too."

She hoped she hadn't offended the Lady of Attera and watched carefully, her eyes trying to make eye contact, and not ahead of her, as they walked side by side.

Bekkah

She smiled and laughed softly.

"I'm just simply used to listening more than talking. When I'm trying to help someone, I listen to what they're telling me as well as the sounds their body makes. Most people tend to either look up at me with some kind of awe and they're too scared to speak to me. And when I'm with other Imperials, let's just say that they prefer not to hear my opinion on things, so they tend to ignore me. Well they ignore me if they are in good health."

"Well, not being fond of Imperials is quite common actually. Especially in the more remote towns and villages. In that regard, I'm blessed in that most folk seem quite happy to see those of my order. It's good that our reputation is one of helping and not trying to convert others."

Last edited by Nivek; Fri 16/09/16 14:25 UTC.

Lyric

Lyric looked down at her self, cocking her head, as if there were sounds from her body she was not capable of hearing and yet she was still willing to try.

But she heard nothing unusual and she shrugged. Her smile returned though and she continued to listen as the pair walked along. Although she did see some flowers ahead on the right as they came nearer to the large rock and the tower that sat atop it. That could interesting...

Bekkah

"Kethy's Woods? I've not heard of it. But there is so much to this world I have yet to see. Perhaps once day I could visit. Or do you think your people would chase me out?"

She asked this last question, not really believing the answer. As her companions knew, Bekkah believed she was welcome everywhere and by everyone. Something that surely made some of them quite nervous, including her sister.

Lyric

Lyric walked along a bit without saying anything and when she came within a few paces of the small flowers fighting a hardscrabble battle for life in the hardpacked rocky ground, she darted forward and knelt at the flowers. She allowed for Bekkah to catch up to her while she leaned in to smell the flowers deeply. She didn't want to pick them though. Their life here in this spot was already hard enough and new ones might not grow again.

As Bekkah closed the short distance, Lyric looked up her. It was clear she was uncomfortable.

"I think... I think they would just prefer you not find them in the first place and keep walking by... But, even for you Lady, I doubt there would be a welcome. It is just the way of things..."

She glanced at the flowers and smiled.

"They are pretty and they are strong. This isn't their home but somehow they found themselves with no other choice but to try to survive. It would be very easy just to give up, but these flowers won't do that. They will keep fighting and make a new home for themselves..."

She quickly turned her face away from the Atteran, perhaps to look ahead of them on the trail, to the small village at the foot of the large rock.

Bekkah

She looked down on the young girl as she examined the flower. She wasn't sure what to make of her. A village of people that never interacted with others, would explain her strange behavior.

Then she spoke, telling Bekkah in her own way not to go to the village. That got a raised eyebrow from the Atteran, but she said nothing. That kind of reaction was as new to her as Cinnamon bread was to the girl.

She looked across the small bridge and noticed her companions at a marketday stall. She waved to them and smiled.

"Would you like to meet some of my friends?"

[ooc: Will post there as well to continue in the main thread.]

Last edited by Nivek; Fri 16/09/16 15:38 UTC.
Pietro

The squire started to protest when Keiko offered him two pieces of the cinnamon sweetbread, but he couldn't quite force himself to do so. The saliva started to flow even before he took the first small bite, followed very quickly by a second, larger bite and, before he knew it, the treat was consumed. He grinned almost embarrassedly as he licked the dusting of sugar and cinnamon from his fingers.

"Ah... that was so good. Thank you, Keiko."

He smiled, looking from Keiko to Lyric and back.

"Lyric is a... a delight."

Pietro's smile faded somewhat and he frowned in thought.

"I had not even thought of her as Imperial or Rhoni or... or anything other than Lyric. She is so... perfectly individual in her openness and her approach to everything that I had not connected her in my mind, with any larger group."

He looked at Keiko, head cocked to one side as he considered her appearance and demeanor. After a moment, his hand again moved to the darksteel wagon wheel shaped ornament which hung around his neck. He almost asked her a question, but then she turned the conversation to his mount.

"She is a fine mare, my boon friend and companion for a long time now," Pietro said with a pleasant smile as he reached out to scratch the mare above and between her eyes.

"Her name is Djinni and I am sure she would not take affront to your touch as long as you avoid sudden moves and let her gather in your scent first."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“You’re very welcome,” she said cheerfully. “I wasn’t watching when it was being made, but I’m sure at least one of my friends could share how much of what gets mixed together and baked to create such a delectable treat!”

She, too, looked over at Lyric, who was delighting in the hardiness of flowers... and, Keiko suspected, speaking of herself, as well.

“She is that, Squire Pietro,” Keiko replied more softly, almost introspectively as she looked back at him. “A delight and unique.”

She noted the change in his expression as he spoke again, considering his words, and then merely watched him as he regarded her — a hand to a pendant... the building potential for a question... and then the wave gently lapping at the shore with his question unasked.

“I think it would be a noble thing and a kind thing to safeguard such delightful uniqueness until such time that Mistress Lyric has accustomed herself to walking the World beyond the confines of her tiny village.” She smiled at him — an attempt as reassurance, perhaps, before turning her attention to Djinni.

“I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Djinni,” she said as she held out her hand properly so that the horse could learn who she was. “I’m afraid I have no treats suitable for a being of your regal bearing. I will do my best to remedy that this very day, however.”

Keiko stroked the velvety soft nose of the horse. “Might you prefer apples or carrots? Or perhaps, like Father’s favorite mare, you like dandelions?”

She chuckled, winking at Pietro as she began following Lady Bekkah and Lyric toward the market. “Veshalosh would eat every dandelion on the Road East if Father and Hikaru — that’s my brother — didn’t stop her. Well, not the Koromov, of course. Even though one of the runes for the followers of the Lady Sun is Horse, I suspect they would not care to be nibbled by one. And besides, Vesa likes people.”

The Rhoni walked in silence for several paces on the Forest side of the Path.

“Did you wish to ask something, Pietro?” she asked, giving him a sidelong glance. “Or does my presence disquiet you in some way?”

Pietro

"I intend to do my best to protect her, Miss Keiko," the squire said with a smile and a glance toward Lyric. "At the moment, as much a delight as she seems to me, she tends a bit toward the... she trusts too much."

Pietro shrugged and grimaced slightly at his choice of words. He had never considered himself eloquent.

"Djinni likes apples and carrots, but prefers apples, don't you, girl?"

He patted the horse's neck, then reached into the jute bag hanging from her saddle and took out an apple.

"Here, you can give this to Djinni. Hold it on the flat of your hand, though, so she doesn't mistakenly take a finger with the fruit."

"A question..." he paused and frowned. "Yes, one had occurred to me, but it perhaps is overly personal and not worthy of an answer since I have just met you."

Another pause and a slight shrug.

"Were you born to the caravan people, the Rhoni?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She nodded. “My interactions with the followers of Rames have been few, but I have found all of your brothers to be honorable men.”

Keiko tilted her head to the side, considering the few squires she had met in her short life. Indeed, those they met in their travels on the Tarn were polite... far more courteous than the average merchant or man-at-arms. Of course, the same could not be said for the knights and squires in Trundle... they were quite the mixed bunch of personalities, or so she had heard. Some of those personalities were not always pleasant. She shrugged slightly.

“We must be taught to be distrustful, to be cautious around all the dangers that exist across the World, noble Squire. If one lives the whole of one’s life sheltered in a place where the dangers do not exist, how is one to know that being less than fully trusting is not wise?” The young woman smiled ruefully. “I have been taught — both by my elders and by experience — that caution is so often necessary. And yet... and yet, I prefer to trust, to learn of the World’s wonders.”

Her smile returned to its cheerful countenance as she took the apple from him.

“I have lived all of my life around horses,” she said, giggling and holding out the apple for the mare. “Most of them have been far more ornery than your fair Djinni. And far less polite,” she added as the horse deftly took the apple from her hand — Djinni’s warm breath and the absence of the apple’s weight being the only way to know the gift was accepted.

Noting his hesitation, Keiko walked on a few paces before answering. When she did answer, she looked directly at him.

“It is not such a personal question, really. Would asking a red-haired woman if she was from Dawnview Vale be too personal? I don’t know, as I have never met any red-haired women. But I see no reason to be other than accepting of my heritage — neither overly proud nor ashamed. Indeed, I am Rhoni.” She looked around them, first toward the market they were approaching and then to the Forest. She knew they were being watched, but she saw no signs of the watchers.

“I have been given a rare gift by the Elders,” she said, turning back to look at Pietro. “The daughters so rarely have the opportunity to walk the World, to ride the waves, away from the Caravan. That is a gift more often given to the sons.

“Do you have a particular reason for asking, Squire Pietro?”

Lyric

With her face turned away, she could only her the Lady's words. She wiped her weloling tears before they streaked her cheeks. In it's own bittersweet way this too was an experience. It was the first time she had felt these emotions since leaving her home, and ironically it was about leaving her home. But she had no choice. What was done in the Then decided her course in the Now, but What May Yet Come in the What Will be was yet to be determined.

She nodded to the Atterran and wiped her eyes again to make sure they were dry and to hide any evidence of that they had ever threatened to mar her happiness.

"Yes, we will keep fighting," she whispered as she trailed her fingers across the few scraggly flowers. It was encouragement for them and herself. "We will survive."

She rose and dusted herself off and gathered her tunics to shake them out a bit and make herself presentable again. With a couple of deep breaths she fell in behind the Lady, a couple steps back and started for this market place.

Lyris wasn't believing she had made the best impression upon the Lady of Attera, for it seemed the woman kept a distance. Perhaps approaching her had been in bad form or showed disrespect. After all she was an Imperial type and Lyric... was not."

Pietro

"A particular reason? Yes, I would say so," he mused, his gaze taking on a faraway, unfocused look. He paused and held out the wagon wheel pendant toward Keiko.

"My mother was Rhoni," he said after the pause. "At least that is what I have been told. I never knew her."

Again he paused and took a couple of breaths before continuing.

"I am of the Festival Born. My mother died of childbirth fever."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Oh, Pietro, I’m so sorry.” Her violet eyes reflected sincere sorrow over his loss. “To never know one’s mother is a heavy burden for anyone’s heart.”

Keiko looked again toward the hamlet they approached, although she wasn’t looking at anything in particular.

“There is no shame in being Festival-born — or there should not be,” she said quietly. “And... Well, by our customs, you would still have been fostered with your father. I hope you were not ill-treated because your mother was not Imperial.”

She knew some Festival-born children were often shunned; it was something she did not understand even after many lessons with the elders. Although a Festival-born child of a Rhoni parent was not considered Rhoni, they were not generally treated as most Gaija were either. It was an odd middle ground between currents on which these folk walked. It was rare for a woman to spend Festival nights with a Gaija, however.

Blinking and then shaking her head, Keiko looked back at Pietro ago, this time, more soberly.

“Do you know anything about her beyond the birth gift she left you?” She hesitated then... not wanting to pry, not really. But the Squire did seem distressed and not-distressed at the same time. “‘Do you even want to know?’ would probably be a more polite question. I apologize if I have offended by being so bold.”

Pietro

He smiled rather sadly and shrugged in response to her sympathetic statement.

"It is not necessarily a burden, or I do not feel it as such." He shrugged again.

"How can you be burdened by what you have never known? There is a certain... curiosity, though, about my mother's people."

Pietro frowned and thought over what she'd said next.

"Not mistreated... nothing so blunt or direct, I would think, although I always felt there was a certain amount of... well, I suppose disdain is the word."

His smile returned, but it was a faint one.

"No, nothing, just this," he said, gesturing toward the pendant. "How do I know whether I want to know... what I do not know?"

"And I take no offense. After all, I started it."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She nodded at the simplicity of his statement. She didn’t quite understand the lack of heaviness one’s heart felt when a loved one left this World to sleep with Krysta. But perhaps a loving foster mother had balanced his loss. The whole of her Family more than balanced the sadness when Grandfather died.

But then Keiko shrugged. “I’m not sure there’s much to tell. Family is everything, but you are outside the Family.”

While there was much she could say about who the Rhoni were as a people, it was not likely he could really understand. It takes a Rhoni to understand a Rhoni — that was a saying that came from a time not long after the Shattering, something the first of the Ancestors had said... or so it was relayed in the stories of the Rhoni. But then she considered the social faux pas Lady Bekkah’s friend had apparently unwittingly made, the dilemma she had agreed to remedy.

And the... the disdain Pietro spoke of for the Festival-born children was another thing she didn’t really understand either. Perhaps she was, as Grandmother sometimes said, too young yet for that understanding.

Looking at the wagon wheel, listening to his words, Keiko had to chuckle.

“You do not know,” she said simply. “And that might be a key to understanding the Rhoni, if just a little.

“There are two sides of knowing — that which you know you know, and that which you know you do not know. I know I could probably not even lift Broke’s sword, never mind use it. But I do not know how long we might Dance on the field before I am sent tumbling toward the rock, but I would like to think everyone would at least have a chance to breath three times. Still, it is a thing that I know I do not know.

“Just as there are two sides of knowing, there are two sides of knowledge — you can know what you know and do not know, but you can never know what you do not know. Here, the balance is between knowing and not-knowing.”

She looked across the market field, not yet close enough to hear any of the gossip that always flew around from person to person.

“Come, Lady Bekkah will introduce us to her companions. Well, she need only introduce me to their Rhoni friend, for I have already met Dama Kadri and the Jvrillian, Mikal.”

She walked a little faster to catch up with Bekkah, then whispered in the healer’s ear before moving closer to Lyric — perhaps it was to help the other girl, even in a small way, to remember herself. Or perhaps it was just the fact that Keiko was coming to rather like the unique young woman.

And perhaps one reason was the same as the other.

Pietro

Her words seemed obvious but, at the same time, perhaps there was something deeper, more substantial, in the meaning of what she said.

Pietro decided he'd have to think on it when he had time to do so.

"Broke? Is that a name?"

Something else that he'd have to ponder because she'd quickened her pace to rejoin the Lady of Attera.

Djinni following, the squire followed the others, his gaze moving to take in the surroundings.

Lyric

The girl from the High Tarn village of Kethy's Woods still trailed the Lady of Attera by a couple of steps, regardless of the pace the Lady set. She didn't want to be underfoot and the Lady obviously had a purpose in being reunited with her own companions.

When Keiko passed her to say something privately to the Lady, Lyric slowed her own step again, pretending something caught her eye. When one whispers they usually want privacy. She would wait for Pietro who was leading Djinni and catching up quickly.

Lyric held this new pace, 3 steps back, and Keiko dropped back to walk beside her now. Lyric smiled wanly and didn't say anything.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
[[ please move to the other Waverider's Watch Thread. Thanks! ]]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Gypsy
Member Spotlight
Vryx
Vryx
Pittsburgh
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,844
Posts140,758
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy