Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (AquaDyne), 58 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Wolf #858301 Tue 09/08/16 02:39 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest
Marketday, the Fourth Day of Yrick

Mikal, Kadri, Cesare, Bekkah, Keiko... and an occupation of Forest Folk

The Forest Folk elder reached up and adjusted his cowl, hiding from Her light and casting his features into an even deeper shadow. He turned to Keiko and quietly asked,

"If one were to take that view, shouldn't it follow that the violence of Chaos is life .... and the peace of Law, death?"

He looked straight at the Rhoni lass as he continued, acknowledging the obvious.

"It is, however, truth, that the balance of this place is between Law and Chaos. Order, peace, violence, good, bad, right and wrong ... are all qualities that can be assigned to both. In the end you are correct, it only matters in that we walk in the real world which has aspects of all. It is our choices that set our own consequences, be you Forest Folk or an Imperial Prince. Would you agree with that, Window?"

The cowl turned to look over the elder's shoulder, back to the Amber Princess and the Jvrillian.

"What that means is that today it is our Marketday. Tomorrow it will not be. Would repeating myself have any impact? But I will offer again ...

"What you do now is, as always, your choice. In truth, I hope your stay is an enjoyable one.”

Renyard returned his attention to the Lady Attera,

"Later is always better for solitude. Lady shall manage the ending of our trade and we are within Broke's territory. That usually secures a profitable day for our neighbors and the merchant apprentices.

"Would you mind if I joined your conversation?"

Always with the questions.

Wolf #858309 Tue 09/08/16 08:44 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He still sits watching everyone. He is aware of tensions within the group containing his friends and has been wondering if his presence would add to or reduce them.. or maybe have no effect at all?

He is part of the group though, he should at least show solidarity.

He rises to his feet in one fluid motion and wanders over to the group to see what is happening.

Wolf #858325 Tue 09/08/16 12:05 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods toward Reynard. "And my hope is that your Market Day is a peaceful one."

Wolf #858330 Tue 09/08/16 12:57 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

'Likewise - and perhaps a hope that I might find a touch of drink and food here if such is to be found - because I find myself somewhat famished."

Wolf #858331 Tue 09/08/16 14:34 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Speaking of which", he says to Reynard, "the next time you come for Market Day perhaps you would bring some local food? I hear the food here is very good, but I enjoy trying new things. I would pay, of course."

He notes that the Forest Folk are buying things from the Merchants, but none of them are selling anything.

Wolf #858336 Tue 09/08/16 15:42 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She inclined her head, almost bowing to the elder. So few any longer knew the term Window, and even fewer understood the relationship between Windows and Witches. That might have something to do with the fact that there were so few Witches. The stories from generations and Ages past of Windows and Witches working together... they were just that. Stories.

“I would agree, al’khal’drash’nashten.” She smiled then at the elder and added, “Eastern is a language for great embellishment. I would normally call someone who is wise and teaches the younger ones simply... Uncle.” Her eyes glimmered with merriment.

She found it amusing and delightful that Renyard, too, wanted to learn of the places Lady Bekkah had traveled.

“I have heard the most contradictory stories about Dawnview Vale,” Keiko said almost shyly to the Atteran. “The stories of other places are consistent and thus more believable in their consistency. But this valley of Dawnview! Do the snows truly tower higher than two or three caravan wagons? Is it true that the spring and summer flowers bloom in every imaginable color? And do the people there really wear clothing to rival the Rhoni in their colors? Oh, I have even heard that the Nobles wear tunics of a design that seems impossible to sew, and that they are called ‘gowns’. And that the lake there is bluer than the most vibrant blue ever seen in Kh’Lhy’Ra!”

Keiko giggled. “I have seen the Black Mountains at their northern peaks and traveled through many of the passes. I have visited the great and fearsome city of Trundle-on-the-Hill. But I have never seen such a place as that told in the stories of Dawnview Vale.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #858351 Tue 09/08/16 18:21 UTC
Bekkah

She couldn't help but be drawn into the young girl's enthusiasm.

"Well I was born there and of course that was a very long time ago." she began with a smile.

"But all that you've heard is true. The snows don't get that high every year, but it has happened and it was the best winter ever for a little girl and her sister to play in."

"The flowers and dresses fight for the attention of all who visit. It is something to behold for sure."

She thought about what Dazi used to say about her eyes and it changed her smile to a sad one as the thought made her miss her younger sister. Especially since she'd only recently been reunited with her.

"Ahh, the blues of Sapphire lake. The color as the sun rises is truly spectacular. I've not seen many places that rival it."

Wolf #858356 Tue 09/08/16 19:16 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Oh, to see such colors! I might need to ask Blue Left Side Triangle to find berries and leaves and roots and bark to make pigments for colors that cannot even be described!” Although she smiled, she did note the Healer’s change of expression. “She found a type of leaf with which I am able to make the most glorious yellow pigment I have seen.”

Then Keiko stretched out a hand toward Bekkah — not touching her, for she had become accustomed to the ways of the Forest Folk very quickly — and allowed it to linger as a sign of...

Well, with strangers, one might never guess. But the Rhoni meant it as an offering of comfort.

After a heartbeat, she pulled her hand back into the confines of her cloak.

“Something has brought sadness to your eyes, Lady Bekkah. Have I said something to bring you sorrow? Please, tell me what it is so that I might avoid that current in the future.”

Kel #858358 Tue 09/08/16 19:22 UTC
Bekkah

"No, you did nothing."

"Many years ago, I left my young sister behind to apprentice to my order. And then for years, I traveled from village to village, lending what aid I could. Only recently did I happen to run into her again. I've missed her so much. We've written to each other over the years, but it's nothing like being in each other's company again. And really before we had a chance to simply sit and braid each other's hair we had to move on and her duties took her elsewhere. I just miss her already. I just hope it isn't years again before I see her again."

Wolf #858363 Tue 09/08/16 20:05 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She regarded the healer for a moment before closing her eyes and sighing.

“I understand, at least in part. I have an older brother who has always been... the best of all things a brother can be. I have three younger sisters, and the youngest is not even a handful of years old yet. I miss them so much.”

Keiko opened her eyes again and smiled softly. “It has not been much more than half a year since I left the Family’s Caravan, so I cannot even imagine being away from them for many long years.” She hesitated, and... and rather than the first thing that came to her mind, she asked, “Would you tell me of her? Is she, too, a healer like you? I know that I feel better, just a bit, when I tell Missus Heatherson about my family. She listens and she laughs at the funny stories and tells me I will see them again someday, even though we both know that might not be true. She is comforting, though. Perhaps your heart will smile again just to speak of your sister.”

And was it not better to know the right question to ask the Cards before speaking to them? Oh, yes... always! With the little she knew at this point and in this current, Keiko knew that the Cards would just laugh at her.

Wolf #858406 Wed 10/08/16 17:03 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest

As he walked away, the Forest Folk elder shifted his hood so he might turn halfway back and look towards the bottom of the stairs.

"I have been told that Mother Heatherson's meat pies are very good. If you are lucky, she may have one or maybe two left after our purchases. As for our own food, you may ask Miss Keiko about our customs; she understands them. That said I believe you would find our company too distasteful for an enjoyable meal."

Beneath their guardian's watch - one on the stairs, the other lurking the Village's perimeter - the strange Marketday continued. While they had seen a single transaction in coin, that was not the only case. Good were also bartered back and forth, usually in the form of small pouches that bulged or bundles wrapped in a thin skin of suede. Sometimes it was the leather or suede itself. In most cases, however, it seemed a pre-arranged transaction; as if a request had been made and the forest items were now being delivered.

That did not stop coin from being exchanged and indeed most of their purchases were made that way. It was not hard to discern that the amount of coin being offered was off-kilter. It seemed items for sale did not just cost more but cost significantly more than what would be paid in any other place.

Bigg'uns and lill'uns, however, seemed to take no mind, as if - for them - this was just the way the world was. There were no complaints and the haggling over prices was something carefully watched over and was always, without exception, calm and easy.

The merchants brought in finished goods, the farmers brought in vegetables, baked pastries and dairy.

For Cesare it seemed two things were now happening. The market and the conversation between Bekkah and this unknown Rhoni lass. While he had been warned against interfering with the Market, there was no prohibition to joining his comrade and another of his kin.

True to his word, Renyard himself moved to follow Lady Bekkah and Keiko. A single bigg'un would watch over Kadri and Mikal's if they decided to enter the Forest Folk's market. This one was not one of the guardians and did not open any conversation.

"Of all the keeps across the mainland, Miss Keiko, the family home of the Allaines is the only one that truly deserves the title of castle; it's simple grace rivals the chaotic beauty of the Thousand Towers and the grim command of the Trundle's haunted Citadel."

It seems that the Forest Folk elder was as well traveled as the Lady of Attera.

"On the other ...." Renyard paused. " ... hand ... there is a peace that can be seen, watching the sun sift down through a woodland canopy, upon a rock next to a crystal stream. How can one compare the value of the little creek's song and that of Dawnbview Castle? What sort of person would try?"

Letting his own path swoosh through the tall grass Renyard approached the Atteran's side. A belled sleeve rose, indicating the sky.

"Look there.

"See her light? See the sun trace her path across the sky?

"Can you prove to me that right now, at this very time, for certain, that your sister is not also looking up to Her? That this same sunlight is not being shared? You may suspect not, you may think that for this reason and that it is not so, but can you know for certain, can you?

"Isn't it nicer to look up and know that no matter how far apart, you and yours are connected by Her warmth and that she is looking up to the sun and thinking about you?"

The quiet bigg'un would finally speak at that, with the most gentle of feminine tones, very definitely a lady.

"Renyard, you have always been a hopeless romantic."

Last edited by Wolf; Thu 11/08/16 17:08 UTC.
Wolf #858407 Wed 10/08/16 18:33 UTC
Bekkah

"Daxia, or Dazi as I call her is so special. She is strong and tough perhaps some would even call her stubborn." This last made her smile.

"Well her teachers would call her that."

"She's a Dayalan Knight. One of the finest. Of course as you might imagine, I'm more than a little biased. She has the typical red hair of our family. Something else that set me apart. She has even managed to attract a unicorn to her side. A magnificent black creature. Truly remarkable."

"Yet as tough as she is, with all the armor and her weapons and honestly all I ever see when I look at her is the little girl I used to tell stories to at night." she said wistfully.

Renyard's words made her look up.

"Perhaps she is looking at Her as well. A fine thought. One I will remember. Thank you."

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 10/08/16 18:34 UTC.
Wolf #858411 Wed 10/08/16 19:15 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Who would try to compare the value of one thing to the value of another thing, indeed,” she said to Renyard. “It is not the value I wish to compare. It is the learning of things I do not already know — not to say one has more value, but to understand an unknown beauty by comparing and contrasting it to one with which I am familiar.” Keiko smiled. “Until I came here, to see Her rise over the Forest for myself, I could only rely on what others reported that their eyes had seen. Now my eyes have seen this beauty for myself. It is singular, and the value of seeing such colors with my own eyes is more complex than a story can recount.” She glanced at him and shook her head. “You are tempting me into a life of traveling, Uncle. Your words might do justice to the beauty of Dawnview Castle... but what far more complex things might I learn in a journey there, and in watching Her rise over those mountains?”

Then she shook her head. “The Citadel is certainly a grim sight... although in some lights, there is a strange beauty to it, as well. Is it truly haunted, though? Some will say yes. Some will say no. The elder Readers have all said that to seek that Truth would be to invoke the Reversed Dragon.”

Violet eyes widened at Bekkah’s mention of the unicorn. “Oh, my! They are such rare creatures...

“But you smile and your eyes shine when you speak of her, as I suspected might be so. With red hair? Does that mean you are related to the Noble Allaines? Distant cousins, perhaps? Oh, it matters not! That you love her dearly is obvious for anyone to see. And that is what is important. I would suspect that her love for you is just as great.”

As she listened to Renyard speak of Lady Bekkah and her sister, the Rhoni took in the words for herself. And she smiled softly. Who knew where her Family was at this very moment? That Her light shone down on them all was a comfort. Sometimes, at night when the stars shone as brightly as twinkling gems in the sky, she had imagined her younger sisters sitting with Grandmother... looking up at the stars just as she was, as Grandmother told the stories of the constellations.

“Your Daxia’s Lady watches the whole of the world, Lady Bekkah,” Keiko said softly. “Perhaps — if you allow me a bit of poetry that cannot quite rival Renyard’s — as you both look up at Her, She reflects your love back down to your sister. I would not be one to speculate on the activities of the gods, but when we are better acquainted and if you have a desire to know the currents that move between you, I would speak to the Cards on your behalf. I can interpret what they say, and speak of the currents that flow. Alas, I am not one who sees the Paths to know how best to navigate the currents. It is why the Rhoni ride the waves... it is the only way we know to navigate the currents.”

Keiko thought it might be a good current to enter... this one that led to a better acquaintance with the soft-spoken healer. Once removed from the inadvertent discord of the market, the Lady had been most gentle and considerate in her dealings with her and Renyard.

And then Keiko chuckled at other bigg’un’s comment. “Is that not a rare trait, Lady? I have met few who speak as eloquently and poetically as Renyard does. Perhaps when my brother is a Grandfather, he will have attained such a skill. But no one I’ve met can speak both poetry and so easily flip over the coin to ask questions that dive deeply into the currents.”

She looked around at the lillil’uns. “Is the Small Kin I think of as Delicate Scalloped Sleeves not well, Lady? I do not see her today, and had hoped to speak to her of other colors that the bounty of the Forest might provide. I might lose all my hair ribbons to her and it would be a fair trade,” she said with obvious delight in her voice. But then Keiko shrugged. “There is no hurry. Next week, next month... the currents move as they move.”

Wolf #858435 Thu 11/08/16 12:10 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC: Assumimng that Mikal & Kadri are moving on to the market, if not then they would be included in his greeting too.]

Cesare

He moves close now to Bekkah, offering a smile and a nod of respect, extending that nod to the forest elder and the Rhoni girl.

"Am I intruding?"

Best to find out where he stands from the beginning as he had been observing some tension earlier. And he has no wish to start off at a disadvantage.

"I had wised to speak to.. Keiko is it?.. about the Rhoni. I know so little of our people."

He isn't sure if she would be happy to talk in a group and so gives forewarning so that she can defer their conversation or move location.

Wolf #858438 Thu 11/08/16 12:18 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Gypsy - Mikal was not heading to the Market. Were were asked not to do so. He came to talk to Reynard and Keiko, but once Reynard leaves he will wait here.)

Wolf #858445 Thu 11/08/16 14:52 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri is staying with Mikal.

Wolf #858453 Thu 11/08/16 16:15 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC: Assume he says hi and moves to Keiko's group wink ]

Wolf #858457 Thu 11/08/16 16:27 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC:

Twitch

Ahem.

Keiko is waiting on reply / reaction from the Renyard and Lady before she will speak to The One Who Interrupts.]

Wolf #858465 Thu 11/08/16 17:29 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Dirkwood Forest

"That is interesting ... I wonder why Hunters showed up on a late night when I asked if it was wise to wonder why an empty citadel rises behind the Imperial palace. I decided not to press that particular question.

"And I might suggest al'ushtahl little one. Teacher. Not uncle."

He cast a glance to the soft spoken bigg'un.

"There are reasons why, and are they not the manner of reasons that are best learned rather than simply told?"

Both listened quietly as the long conversation wrapped its way hither and you, crossing from one end of the world to another in subject and following the path of the Atteran's younger sibling. Both Forest Folk, however, visibly stiffened as a harmless query garnered their attention. Finally the other - the one called Lady - replied.

"Delicate Scalloped Sleeves ... she was so happy when we found that bit of lace, her first midsummer's day."

The bigg'un slowly turned to face Keiko ... and Bekkah.

"She is not hurt. She is not ailing. But to say she is well would be a lie and to meet concern with falsehood would be wrong, as concern is a most valued treasure to our Kind. It is a rare thing.

"Something happened. That is all I can say.

"It happens to all her kin.

"We are watching over her.

"We always hope ..."

The Lady's words softened.

"... even against all odds."

Wolf #858467 Thu 11/08/16 18:28 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He watches for a few minutes, then glances at Kadri. "You are welcome to go take a look around. Maybe ask about what happened to the Hasturian Inquisitor. You're more diplomatic than I am and might get an answer. Or maybe buy us some of those meat pies we keep hearing about."

He looks around. "I think I will take a stroll around, Look at the Forest, the fence line, the fields. Lay out the camp in my head perhaps."

Wolf #858472 Thu 11/08/16 19:18 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Conversation with Renyard was always a dance — not of daggers or storms, but simply a graceful bit of gliding and leaping and turning, following the lead of his question and, in turn, spinning away with the enticement of her questions in return.

“Perhaps the thing long forgotten is best left forgotten. But as you must know, the Cards can say different things to different questioners... even when asking the same question. And truly you are a Teacher, Renyard. At the same time, you have a way of Teaching that the elder Uncles have.” She spread her arms in a shrug. “If al’ushtahl is a more pleasing title to you, I bow to your greater wisdom,” she said with a smile.

But Keiko’s smile faded at the arrival of the other newcomer. Violet eyes seemed to bore through him for several long heartbeats before she finally said, “Your words have more truth than they should, unless you were raised by the Gaija. Your ignorance brings disgrace to your Family, especially if you are the one who fashioned a Rhoni blade for a Jvrillian.

“I do not know you. It is not proper for me to speak to strange men who cannot even name their Family.”

The young woman turned her head toward Lady. The dismissal of the other newcomer was not rude — at least not by Rhoni customs. In fact, she should not have spoken to him at all. True, there were no elders here to perform proper introductions, but he might have asked Lady Bekkah to stand in that role. Or, more appropriately perhaps, the group’s leader, Mikal D’Allyne.

Keiko put the other out of her mind as she listened to Lady’s words... balancing what was said, what was not said, how it was said. And her heart seemed to skip a beat at those words, the whole of them. Although she could not imagine what might have happened to her small friend, it was enough to make the peaceful Lady’s voice sound sad and worried and perhaps, just perhaps, the smallest measure of frightened. It was enough to make Keiko feel as though the rushing currents could make this wave crash hard and heavy against a rocky cliff.

But she spoke her heart anyway... as always, riding the wave that felt the truest, the one that most honored the Cards’ communications to her.

“If a way to help is possible, I would offer what meager skills and knowledge I have. My concern is even greater than my curiosity, and I have more curiosity than is appropriate for the privacy of you and the Forest’s Children. I would not break the trust we have come to share and so I ask only this... how might I help?”

Wolf #858510 Fri 12/08/16 16:41 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Well that didn't go as expected.

The first reaction is one of anger. To be judged without circumstances being known, especially when he had already pleaded his ignorance, that does not sit well with him. His family name is his business. But Mikal will not thank him for creating enmity here.

He takes a deep breath, speaking to her back.

"I can see you are busy. My apologies."

He nods briefly to Bekkah and turns away, heading now for the steps.

Kel #858517 Fri 12/08/16 17:16 UTC
Bekkah

She listened with great interest to the conversation between Keiko and this other Big one. She raised her eyebrows and looked from the speaker to Keiko to Renyard, but she said nothing.

They'd made it clear they didn't inherently trust Imperials and despite her saying she was a healer before an Imperial, they'd made it clear that they didn't see things that way. If they would let her help, then surely they would ask for her aid.

Wolf #858544 Fri 12/08/16 23:57 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri moves towards Cesare.

"A moment? Could I have your company perhaps?"

Wolf #858569 Sat 13/08/16 11:50 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He stops, takes a steadying breath and turns to Kadri.

"As you are the only one who wants it, why not?"

He waits, tension still in his body but willing to listen to what she has to say. Their group have gone through a lot together, he respects all of them.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeBaron
TennesseeBaron
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,855
Posts141,366
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy