Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (AquaDyne), 62 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Wolf #846299 Fri 18/03/16 13:59 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"I have one heal left, enough to stop bleeding."

Zeim #846503 Sun 20/03/16 13:06 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks
Hasday, the Twelfth Day of Scholar

Cesare, Kadri, Mikal, Bekkah and Rory

“Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!”

With Kadri breaking to splash to Mikal’s aid, even with the best intentions it was easy for the little girl to break free and wade as best she could to her father. Who, in turn, almost ducked the lamp he was carrying into the bloodied water when he bent down to gather up his little one. The rest of the party was completely ignored as he collected his daughter tight, whispered Foresttalk to calm her and make sure she was well.

“I was so so so so scared and ah though ah’d never ever go ‘ome … I wanna go ‘ome Fa, please, please can we go home ..I just wanna go home … ja … ja ... please? ”

Rory just looked back a the bedraggled group of adventurers, deep beneath Talesan’s Village – it felt as if the quiet of farmer’s fields were a forever away.

“Can we go home now?”

It was a simple question, asked first. He turned his daughter to him, tucking her close and tight beneath his arm, as the others took to the matters of healing. That was a task that did not take long, especially with the soft white sunshine of Lady Aterra starbursting through shadowed halls. Soon all were able to stand again, whole enough to contemplate the fate of the last lizard-thing, to debate the costs and consequences of this hidden, secretive chapel.

The last lizard-thing stayed put; remaining at his post, directly in front of his out of the way door.

“Do I look like a fisherman?”

That was Rory's first answer, to Mikal, as he held his daughter tight. They were hard words, as if now, with his daughter mostly safe, he could now dare to think of other things.

“We would never have built such a dark place, we would never sacrifice to a Beast! We are good Imperial Citizens and even if some of us have not forgotten the old ways, Risha is a kind one; she is the Protector of lambs and wheat and children!”

“Why my Dyddplentyn? I don’t know! Maybe because she was an easy sacrifice! Maybe because we’ve brought her up to believe that people are good! Even Abominations, creatures so foul and pitiful they all ready are damned so darkly it is just cruel to mistreat them more.

"And they took advantage of that ..."

“People are good. Maybe that was a mistake.”

Rory paused.

“Behttah … apologies… I am indebted to you; I shall never be able to pay you back for what you have done this day, for saving my Dydd.”

“… danks …”

The Farmer shook his head.

“Why? I don’t know. Maybe this is the secret of their recent prosperity …

“But nothing comes without a cost. Why should they have to pay themselves when they can prey on others?

“That’s what sharks do, don’t they?”

Rory closed his eyes for a long set of heartbeats. When he opened them, his gaze was fixed. It was a Father Wolf’s gaze.

“Nothing comes without a cost.

"They must pay.

“Let justice be done though the heavens fall.”

Wolf #847151 Thu 24/03/16 17:17 UTC
Bekkah

She nodded when Rory thanked her.

"I'm glad she's safe. No child should ever be involved in something like this. I don't understand how this could have ever come this far."

She looked to the lone lizard and motioned towards it.

"I doubt we can ask him to leave, I suppose we can try, but I do not want to leave without checking out what is behind that door. There may be other children who have been taken that we don't know about. We must see this fully through." she said with conviction.

Wolf #847152 Thu 24/03/16 17:37 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Though the Heaven's fall, justice be done -
Evil must know its course has been run.
Let shadow consume darkness and fear -
By shadow let the light now appear -
Let these 'predators' become hunted,
Let the deer return arrow -
Let these 'predators' feel fear -
Deep down in their marrow."

She looks up and drops out of her sing song.

"Sometimes, justice needs a small hand, yes?"

Wolf #847173 Thu 24/03/16 22:26 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

Feeling a bit better the longer he gets to catch his breath, he nods at Bekkah. "Alright. Take Dydd and her father back down the passage a bit so they're out of danger. Cesare and I will pepper him with bolts from here. If we're lucky he won't get a chance to hurt anyone else. We can then look and see what is there."

He looks at Kadri. "If you wish to stay and help, you'd be welcome. Just don't get between it and me if it charges."

Wolf #847179 Thu 24/03/16 23:01 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"If I wish to stay and help? Mikal, you know me better than that. If? I think, perhaps, I wait until he tries to charge in the shadow and then charge in from behind once he passes?"

Wolf #847224 Fri 25/03/16 15:40 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He grins at her, having expected that answer. He simply nods at her suggestion as it makes the most sense.

Wolf #847234 Fri 25/03/16 16:17 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He nods to the others, reminding himself to retrieve his bolts once this is done. He choose a good middle distance for his bolts and waits for Mikal to settle his place. Then he takes a step back and to the side so that Mikal will be in the best position to take the charge should there be one.

Then he is ready. He just waits for Mikal's signal.

Gypsy #847466 Sun 27/03/16 14:42 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Cesare, Kadri, Mikal, Bekkah, Rory and Dyddplentyn

In the darkness, Kadri’s words spoke of a vengeful future. One that would certainly turn deer into wolves and the prey into predators.

For which, like a sudden sharp breeze, her head painfully snapped forward, pushing her forward and almost stumbling her to her knees. It was almost like, no it was exactly like, someone had just soundly slapped her on the back of her head. Of course, no one was behind her except the shadows cast by the various candle lanterns.

While his was happening, Mikal and Cesare set themselves up for their attack. They found a spot, between two columns, that met their requirements and once again unlimbering their crossbows they loaded them and took aim.

The lizard-thing had a look like he may have actually had a thought. And that thought was that it was not going to be a good day.

Aiming was easy, all the lizard-thing did was brandish its sword-thing and growled fiercely.

But since it didn’t move it was an easy hit. Both quarrels slamming soundly into it’s chest. In pain it roared and moved to charge!

And then blinked.

It took two steps back and guarded its door.

It wasn’t like a real fight. It was something lacking justice or mercy. Six quarrels later and it was face first in the water, just jerking every now and then.

It was, indeed, very stupid.

It took a little longer to open its door.

Beyond was a smaller chamber. At first look it seemed to be a cache of fishing supplies; nets, gaffs, rope and on the wall a set of very very cruel looking flensing knives. But there were also three chests. They were smallish; perhaps half an arm’s width broad and wide. All it took was a smash from the pommel of Mikal’s darksteel sword to knock off the simple padlocks.

Inside there were coins … coins of copper, silver and even gold – pennies, half crowns and crowns. At the least several thousand worth, enough to buy a horse, perhaps even two. Definitely two if you included the pearls and jewelry that accompanied the coins.

As well as a single, long and slender spiral horn.

It seems worshipping a shark god and claiming the bounty of the bay was a fairly lucrative religion.

Bloody, but chaos seems to pay well.

The Shrine of the Shark God

Wolf #847468 Sun 27/03/16 14:47 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Ceasre

He whistles between his teeth.

"Never had thought we'd find riches down here. Makes you wonder what else these fisher-folk have been up to."

Last edited by Gypsy; Sun 27/03/16 14:47 UTC.
Wolf #847483 Sun 27/03/16 16:14 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He frowns as they kill the lizard. On the one hand it is the best situation, no risk and all gain. On the other, there is just something unsettling about killing something that won't fight back.

Entering the room and breaking open the locks on the chest he whistles lightly. The chests are small enough to take with them, and unless this money was stolen from the townsfolk he sees no reason why it is not theirs to keep.

**Well, no more worries about training Talia as a warhorse. There's enough money here to buy a warhorse.**

He glances at Kadri. "This would be a good start at getting the Troop setup. Hiring whoever we need. Even paying a bonus for good candidates."

He reaches in and picks up the horn. "This is interesting."

Wolf #847541 Sun 27/03/16 21:51 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She looks at the horn with curiosity.

"I know, Mikal. It sits not well either. But I doubt not that reversed there would be no mercy to be found in this one's dull eyes. I would also say that if these monies were paid as bounty to a deity which would have the sacrifice of children, then it is forfeit from its original owners. I think, in the end, there may need to be a confrontation of sorts with the fisher-folk if this ..."

She motions.

"Was their idea of acceptable. I think I can locate the warehouse where that ladder went. Perhaps further investigation?"

Wolf #848708 Sun 03/04/16 13:04 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Rory had little interest in the coins, pearls or other odd tidbits, firhis reassure was tucked beneath his free arm. Ddydd held so very very tight, only peeking out every now and then… as if she had finally realized that she had indeed been rescued and was afraid of what might happen next.

“Isn’t it time to be going?”

In some manner, Rory was entirely correct. While the only thing accompanying them, staining the black water even darker were the corpses. Those lizard-things … what were they called, anyways … they had lain and one young human man.

One human.

Who probably had a reason for being there and a family in the town above. Who would eventually be missing him. That and time was impossible to tell down here; one could not see the sun and mark Her place in the sky. The only clue they had were the candles in the lanterns. And they were under half the size they were when they entered these carven halls; a fair amount of time had past. It was most certainly past midday and if it was past lunch eventually the tide would sweep in and the fishing fleet would return.

To both their village and their shrine.

The horn Mikal held was indeed familiar.

It was long enough to serve as a lance, pretty enough to take one’s breath away. But it felt old, it felt empty, it felt like a bone that had be removed from a grave. In terms of value it was probably invaluable – those who dealt in magical compounds would probably sell their grandmother just to sift it through their potions and concoctions.

Aye, it was a unicorn’s horn.

A black unicorn’s horn.

The Shrine of the Shark God

Wolf #848730 Sun 03/04/16 15:02 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Aye, time we returned, if the sea doesn't block the way."

He nods to Rory and Dydd, adding a smile before turning to Mikal and Kadri.

"A chest each then?"

It might be a struggle carrying these but he has no desire to return here again.

"And what of the lad's body?"

Wolf #848733 Sun 03/04/16 15:11 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

As the question was being asked, Mikal was already half-way to the boy. Reaching him, he hefts the limp weight over one shoulder. On the way, he stops and decapitates one of the dead lizards, tossing the head into a sack.

**Somebody might question their honesty when the tale is told.**

He then moves back to the group and nods. "We'll take the boy. No matter what he's done his family should have his body."

He glances at Rory. "We need to inform your town elders of what has occurred under their noses. It is up to them to decide what to do, and while I know what my choice would be, it is not my choice to make here."

He pauses. "And we need to inform Daxia. She was always best at figuring out all of this political crap and weighing the impacts of actions on future events."

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 03/04/16 15:13 UTC.
Zeim #849273 Wed 06/04/16 18:57 UTC
Bekkah

"I agree that we need to return the body, but I am not so sure about informing the town elders. What we've already done should stop this activity, and if we're right, the fishing will suddenly take a turn for the worse. That in itself is going to cause a problem. Taking it to the elders would turn this into a civil war with the tensions as they are."

"I suggest we return before we're trapped here and then see how this plays out." she said calmly.

She looked at each of them including Rory and Dydd as she spoke.

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 06/04/16 18:57 UTC.
Wolf #849441 Thu 07/04/16 14:54 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He glances meaningfully at Rory. "I think we must, Bekkah. Not only is it our duty to let them know what is going on in their town, but the only chance for a peaceful resolution to this is for the Town Council to work it out."

Rory already as much as stated that he planned to gather the farmers and take retribution on the fisher folk. That would certainly start a civil war in the town. It is mostly to head that off that Mikal is talking about informing the council.

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 07/04/16 14:55 UTC.
Wolf #849782 Sat 09/04/16 15:57 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He is not that interested in the right thing to do or the local politics, these are things that he hopes the Fates allow him to drift past. He knows though that is is important to Mikal and Daxia, especially if they are going to base themselves in this area.

He'll do what he is asked.

Meanwhile he hefts the most valuable chest into his arms to carry it back.

Gypsy #849864 Sun 10/04/16 12:33 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Chains.

There were chains hanging on he wall of the shrine, back behind them. The ones from which Dyddplentyn had been hung. The one that had held her without any care for right or wrong. I was their duty to bind their prisoners so of course you could not blame them … they were just following the normal course of things.

There was only on who could truly appreciate that.

The one who rides the waves of the world, wherever the Fate may drift him. The Rhoni, Cesare. His people traveled both sides of the Black Mountains, they had seen both people, had walked next to both Imperial Nobles and the Princes of Kh’lhy’ra. And thu he was well associated with the differences between the two people.

The Gods of the East and the Gods of the Empire may play opposite sides of Horse and Castles, one with red pieces and one with black. But the red, the black did not represent the sides that on might hope, that would make this an easy decision.

They did not represent Good and Evil.

They represented Chaos and Law.

The East was dangerous because it was impossible to predict what they would do in any particular situation. The Imperials were equally dangerous in that given any particular situation they were bound to a single reaction, like they were bound by chains, they had no other choice.

It was the Law.

The Rhoni rode the currents between the two. Jvrillians followed the Pragmatic path. The Lady of Shadows lived by the Rules of Humor. Of all the Imperials only Bekkah was not so rigidly bound, not because hers was the goddess of healing but that she was the goddess of Mercy.

Rory was farmer folks. He was a simple person. He listened to the words go back and forth, confused. How this could be a problem was beyond him, but even so, come the sunset there was only one thing that mattered.

“I just want my daughter safe.”

Their treasures, their loot, their reward gathered, it was a slow return back down the unlit corridors. Happily there were no currents, so the bodies to the first passle of lizard-things gave fair warning of the hidden pit.

That took a bit to cross, with both a child and chests of coin as burdens.

When they reached the double doors, the sunlight almost blinded them; they had spent too much time in dim, haunted light. They were still standing on the terrace, the metal door still open behind them, when their eyes finally adjusted to the day.

It was late; the sun was already upon Her descent.

The bits of colors out across the bay – sails – meant that the fishing fleet would soon make port.

And just a little bit later, the tide would come in.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 10/04/16 12:39 UTC.
Wolf #850782 Sun 17/04/16 13:29 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

The bits of colors out across the bay – sails – meant that the fishing fleet would soon make port.

And just a little bit later, the tide would come in.

The little group still clustered on the Ancient terrace, that narrow band of stone with the salty water’s edge so close. Like deer, perhaps, having seen a bear, unsure of which way to turn.

Which was often fatal to the deer.

“… danks … danks … I cannot say that enough. I need to get us home.”

Rory seemed the only one with determination; to get his daughter as far from this place as possible and had already bundled her close and was headed for the cliffside stairs. Without interruption he and Dydd would be up the stairs and heading back to the farmer’s town ahead of them.

Out on the bay the fishing fleet was getting closer. Close enough for both sails and hull to slowly gain definition; soon they’d be able to see the crew on deck.

Which would mean, of course, that then, they could be seen too.

Wolf #850792 Sun 17/04/16 15:21 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Close the door and lets get out of here. I am not in any shape to take on even a bunch of angry fishermen right now. We'll find Daxia and tell the Town Leaders and get some rest."

Wolf #850877 Mon 18/04/16 11:50 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Sounds good to me."

He is not overly worried about the fisherman. What will be, will be. Generally he does what makes him comfortable with himself.. and lives with it whatever that brings. Besides he cannot believe they are all part of it. Probably just a few, an underground cult, literally. At least it is a comforting thought to take with him up the cliff journey.

Wolf #850986 Tue 19/04/16 14:43 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
KAdri:

"... I agree with Mikal. Lets get out of sight before we figure out what to do."

She looks at Rory.

"For the moment, you might want to keep yourself and your daughter out of larger public view until we figure out how the fisherfolk will react to the interruption of their rituals."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Under the Docks

Climbing the cliffs was more than a little task. While there were steps, there were many of them and each one was an upwards effort. This time they carried more than just heir clothes and gear; they carried the loot from the chapel and a little girl; one who had fallen asleep a her father carried her.

It was unimaginable, what that little girl had been through. To be stolen by strangers who were supposed to be neighbors and then bound to a wall in the company of monsters.

They reached the top of the stairs, that terminus mostly hidden by the rocks at the top. Between the fishing boats inbound sailing, the height of the cliffs and a little bit of walking it was a fairly easy task to get beyond the fishing crew's line of sight.

Then it was decision time.

Rory looked to the little group and repeated his thanks.

“I need to get Dydd home. Her mother is probably worried half to death …”

The farmer looked to Kadri, nodding once.

"If you say so …. I’ll just tell Ari we found her and hats what’s important. If you think that’s best.

“Denks …”

And with that he turned towards the east and walking along the hedgerows started he way back to his inn.

That left their own destinations to be deteremined. The village elders – did that mean the Larsens up in their keep? That would mean walking down through fishertown, over the bridge and then up the path where their home overlooked bay and village.

Did it mean the elders of Farmertown? They would be working their fields in the afternoon. That said, they would, most assuredly, collect at the Amber Inn around dinnertime.

Did it mean the Imperials? Kevin and his Squires had been summoned to the Village’s most eastern manor. Romana and Kay had been sent that way to provide him aid.

The Brother and the Priestess? The Brother was probably deep in the Cathedral archives, wherever they were, along with Daxia and Kisa. The problem, of course, being that until they surfaced, finding them would be difficult. It could be a long wait or them to come out on their own accord; knowing Daxia, Kisa and any Eye of Hastur left to their on devices in a room full of books.

That left the Priest and his Priestess. One would probably be gardening, the other on her rounds. The Priestess was a sensible person ... the Priest talked to his plants.

Which begged the question.

Who exactly were they wishing to seek out … and where would they look for them?

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 24/04/16 14:01 UTC.
Wolf #851406 Sun 24/04/16 18:41 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He looks at the others.

"I ain't one for dealing with authorities, generally avoid them where I can.. but I can do whatever you want me to. That said, I'd like to get this chest somewhere safe, out of sight afore we do anything else."

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Pandemonium
Pandemonium
Oregon USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,855
Posts141,390
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy