Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Phoenix Prime, Miales, Barry Mulvihill), 19 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Amber Inn
Hasday, the Twelfth Day of Scholar

Mikal, Kadri, Cesare
Rory, Ari, Twls, merchants, teamsters and guards

For some morning came early, for others a bit later, and for most it came with the loud banging of ladle to big black kettle announcing that breakfast was now occurring. It was a clang that could be heard from the commons even into the farthest room – and out to the brewery and beyond.

The night had been restful; while the furnishings of the rooms were simple, they were comfortable. The beds were soft, the windows able to be opened to let in a cool night’s breeze and, in general, once Katshka and Kari took their leave, even the noise from the commons was banked.

Whether or not one went to breakfast was a personal choice, but the meal had been paid for. In any case the commons would only be a quarter or so full. The Marrennen folk, of course, they would not miss a meal. Their retainers, for the most part, would already be upon their morning tasks. A few swordsmen, between contracts, would be counting their coin to ensure there was enough to make it to Marketday before trading a handful of pennies for a second helping of stew in bread.

It was a simple meal, it was in the kettle, and it was good.

Obviously Rory was out back, checking on the morning brewing while Ari bustled behind the bar.

“Twls, go wake your sister. We be needing water drawn from the well and she knows that’s her morning task, even if it just be a bucket at a time.”

The elder sister blinked, gave her mother a curious look, an odd one at that, before scampering off on her retrieval. While she ran from here to there, Ari made sure those that wanted a meal were served. She had cider for those who didn’t want to start their day with a beer and beer for those who wanted a bit of the hair of the dog from the night before.

“Dydd! Dyddplentyn! Stop gathering wildflowers before Mat tans ye hide. Dydd!”

Twl’s search was obvious as she ran from kitchen to her family’s apartment, down the halls where the rooms were rented and then out the far door where she circumnavigated the inn. Twl’s search came to an unsuccessful halt as she poked her nose back into the tavern through its front door.

“Fa says she should be with thee!”

The innkeeper’s wife put her hands on her hips.

“Would I have asked thee to fetch her if she were here? Bah. If ye want something done right... Twls, keep the patrons happy and I’ll go find her.”

Ari stormed out of the tavern, her skirts drawn up so she could move both determined and fast.

After a little bit, she too returned.

“Twls... get your Fa.

“I found her part-filled water bucker tossed aside halfway between here an’ the well.”

After two faltering steps, Twls bolted for the back door and the brewery beyond.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 13/09/15 22:41 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He is up relatively early, his usual style and he has work to do today.

He hears the family conversation with little concern initially but at the last when it definitely sounds like it might be trouble, his first thoughts are to go look at the scene but also to get Darian and Longtooth to work, if he can locate them. Leaving his breakfast almost finished, he heads out in search.

Last edited by Gypsy; Mon 14/09/15 12:09 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kadri

The prior night had been quite unusual for him. He took his job of watching over Kadri seriously, even though she was generally capable of taking care of herself.

So the extreme over-reaction of the bar patrons of his simple acts of protectiveness and innocent questions was very odd.

He enjoyed the night's sleep in a comfortable bed, the first for some time. Being clean after the bath was an added bonus.

He rose early, as was his usual practice, and glanced in at Kadri on the other side of the wall of their double room before dressing and heading downstairs for something hot to eat and drink.

He finds an out of the way spot where he can see the stairs and watch for Kadri, have a good view of the whole room, and have a wall at his back.

He sees other Jvrillians wander in and while he doesn't deter anyone who wishes to join him he doesn't make any overt invitations either.

When he spots Cesare (which of them came down first is hard to say, but both were early), he nods and smiles.

He has a bowl and a cup of whatever is hot and leisurely savors it, enjoying the ease of the day. Until Kadri rises they can't start on their planned journey to Waverider's Watch so he is not in a rush.

He notes Cesare get up and hurry out when the serving girl returns. He keeps an eye on the door but remains to wait for Kadri. He is sure Cesare will come and get him if he needs help.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

In the morning, she is up bright and early, only slightly after Mikal. She too had found the last night exceedingly odd. But at least she could still, it seems, tell a story. Her eyes light on Mikal.

"Hoi, good morning! She rises bright and clear."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Amber Inn

Mikal, Kadri
Ari, merchants, teamsters guards

Ari worked the bar nervously and not her usual feisty self. Indeed, the same corner of the bar was soon polished better than it ever had been and then was polished again. She did not share Kadri’s bright mood or greeting.

“Mat!”

Twls poked her head in the door, eyes wide and breathless.

“Fa’s sending me to find the Sir!”

And with that the girl was off at a run, leaving the door open behind her.

Ari bit her lip and frowned.

“Entskuldigun... Sorry folks, once ye finish up thine meals I’m gonna have to toss ye out and close the doors for the morning. ”

That got everyone’s attention – some looking disgruntled, some concerned, some deciding haste in finishing one’s meal was required. It was that awkward moment in which everyone waited for someone else to speak first.

Last edited by Wolf; Thu 17/09/15 23:21 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Good morning", he greets Kadri in return casually eating his breakfast.

At Ari's pronouncement, he looks up. "Something wrong?"

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
KAdri:

"... need help?"

She gave a concerned look.

"... if not, I wouldn't delay you, but could I grab a hunk of bread or something to take with me?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Amber Inn

Mikal, Kadri
Ari, merchants, teamsters and guards

Ari blinked, once and then twice, looking at Mikal for a moment, her expression shadowed by concern, before her attention was stolen by Kadri. The innmistress still rubbed that one spot on the counter with her worn rag, teeth pressed down hard upon her lower lip.

“We can’t find Dyddplentyn.”

Her hand clasped hard over the polishing cloth, twisting it about.

“It’s not like she would have run off. She’s a good girl, and actually likes doin’ her morning chores.

“And she certainly wouldn’t leave her bucket tossed in the hedges.”

Her dark eyes locked with the Amber lady’s.

“That’s like sayin’ a forest is full of trees.”

She reached beneath the counter and took out a large knife, brandishing it without letting her gaze break with Kadri’s, holding her captive. She raised the knife.

SAW-SAW-KERWHUMF

With a last drag across the counter she sliced off a good helping of warm bread and placed it square in front of Kadri.

“My daughter’s gone missing.

“Twls is getting the Knight, but if he isn’t at the cathedral there’s no telling where he could be. Rory and your Rhoni friend are already looking for her, probably between here and the well.

“And if anyone’s hurt her...

“What can ye do, lassie?

“If you want to help look, well that’s what I’m going to do once I clear this place out. Can you do anything to find her?

“Because of course I need help. All the help I can get.”

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 20/09/15 18:23 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He stuffs the last bit of food off his plate into his mouth and stands as Kadri offers to help. Slinging his weapon belt over his shoulder he moves to the door where he saw Cesare leave, opens it, and steps outside, pausing to see if he can see Cesare anywhere.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

An opportunity to get in friendly with the locals, good. And to help a little girl, also very good.

"Let's say that in my time I have been good at hiding and finding and looking for clues, and am perceptive, and that it wouldn't feel right to not try to help if a child is missing. And if anyone has hurt the child ... then I agree, there must be a reckoning. Whatever it is I can offer, I will offer and whatever I can do, I will. "

She pauses.

"Can you direct me to the well?'

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Cliffside beyond the Amber Inn

Mikal and Kadri and Ari

Opening the door, what Mikal saw was not unexpected: the activities at the end of town upon a morning. The most bustle seemed to be between the tavern and the livery and the tavern and the open square that – in a day or so – would become the Farmer’s Market.

Of Cesare and Rory there was no sign, which was also not unexpected as they had a very good head start on him and his contract-holder. From behind, he heard Kadri talking to the Innmistress.

“Sure enough, lassie. When ye leave the Inn, head forest-ward until ye get to the first of the hedges. Follow that towards the coast. About halfway between here and the cliffs ye will find the well; it’s kind of hard to miss, just a little leftwards.

“It’s just like every other well; a ring o’ stones with a little roof over it for the bucket and rope.

“By now, most folks will have gotten what they need; it’s nay like the one in the center of the docks. This half of town we got work to do – donnae stand around and gossip like the lazy fisher wives do.”

Ari nodded towards the door, as she remained until the tavern would eventually empty.

“Much obliged lassie... please come back with me lil’ one.”

The path to the well was exactly as Ari described. Her instructions were easy for Kadri to follow, and Mikal followed her, as it was his duty.

She came across the bucket first, just as Twls had described. Someone had set it straight, by the side of the hedge.

The well seemed lonely, when they found it. It was silent, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. True, one could look around and see the nearby village, the seacoast, the line of green to the north. But here it was just a small thing on the border of stone and grass.

Their next clue was the same scrap of ribbon that Cesare had found; Kadri’s gaze as sharp as the Rhoni’s it seemed. And this brought them to the edge of the cliffs, to that path that wound down the side of the stone. They could see it wind across the cliff face in its descent, all the way down to the base of the docks. They too saw the facade crafted of columns and recesses that formed the side of the village waterfront. There was the far off terrace, just above the low tide mark.

From here they could see two very small figures walking on that small terrace... perhaps the innkeeper and Cesare.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He scan the area while listening to the conversation just behind him. Once Kadri joins him outside they waste little time heading first to the well and then to the cliffs.

Peering down he can see the figures on the terrace far below. Glancing behind him to nods towards Kadri. "Looks like Cesare down there. Doesn't seem they've found her yet."

With that he begins the descent.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kari

She picked her way down the cliffs, looking carefully for any signs, ribbons or otherwise, that the little girl had gone by here.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Cliffside

Mikal, Kadri, Bekkah and Twls

Looking ahead, the Mikal and Kadri could see the path descended down across the cliff face. The fact that there was no railing or wall on the seaward side was unnerving, but it did seem both sturdy enough and wide enough for relatively safe passage.

The tricky part was that the damp air left the treads and risers slick, making one’s footing unreliable working down the steps below. They were about a quarter of the down when they heard a call from behind.

Bekkah looked down the path, down those winding stairs that started between a pair of tall marker stones. She called out to her two companions, interrupting their descent.

"A good morning to you both.

"I suspect your being here is not coincidental. We're looking for Twls' sister who has disappeared. Do you know anything by any chance?"

Beside her Twls shifted her balance from one foot to the other, awkward and hesitant.

“We ain’t supposed to go down the old dock stairs. Mostly ‘cause it’s dangerous, that an’ they are underwater half tha time.”

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Yes", he calls back. "Cesare went on ahead to look for her. We are joining him, presuming he waits."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"We are indeed looking for her.'

Bekkah

She looked at the rickety stairs, but seeing that her friends had already made their way down, she assumed it would be safe for her as well.

She bent to face Twls eye to eye.

"I'll join my friends and we'll find your sister. You go back. I don't want you to get in trouble or get hurt and I'm sure you have chores to get done."

"I promise we'll do all we can for her."

"Just do me one small favor, tell my sister that I went down this way. I'm sure she'll be wondering. Okay?"

Assuming Twls agreed, she lifted her skirts a bit and made her way down to join Mikal and Kadri.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kari:

'Lets go. Girl isn't getting any less lost while we wait. I'll meet you at the bottom."

And she starts moving down much more rapidly. Kadri was quite the agile climber, and once down, started towards the entrance.

She calls out to the small figures.

"Hoi! Cesare?"

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Miales
Miales
Conway, Ar
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,863
Posts141,541
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy