Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phoenix Prime, Miales), 61 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#807642 Mon 04/05/15 00:30 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

The Heartwood
A little west of Road’s End Bridge, Blackwater River
Just Outside of Talesan’s Village
Rameday, the eleventh day of Scholar

Daxia, Bekkah, Kadri, Mikal, Cesare, Darian and Dean

Longtooth, Morning Star, Khorall and Dama Larsen, Kisa Allaine, Kay Koromov and Romana

“Your words are kind, Lady Korie. We are but the smallest and least among the Noble Families; even Corliss has more trade than our beset village. Thus, we must make due with a coin of kindness and learn to see the value and beauty in even the most simple.

“I can watch the sea forever; sometimes, on a bright and blustery day, the cresting of the waves is like a mythical cavalry sparkling beneath the sun’s gaze.

“Though...”

Khorall Larsen leaned forward, to whisper to Kadri, “You may need to shake your bodyguard. The sea can also be quite hypnotic; the sea does not need sirens to be far too entrancing.”

“You like the sea too, Rhoni?”

Dama Larsen nodded to Cesare, her choice of words not said with any malice or condescension but, actually, a touch of respect.

“Some say all roads end in Talesan’s Village.

“Tieg and I look at it differently. We believe all roads have their start here.”

Kay had a more pragmatic observation.

“That is an awful lot of water.”

That conclusion garnered a laugh from the Khorall as he nodded in agreement to Daxia.

“That... That is an excellent choice. It is not the largest place on the mainland, but you’ll see... The Amber Inn is one of the warmest and friendliest. I admit my Dama and I will be a bit jealous. There is nothing like a hot bath after a long trip and there is none like theirs between here and the glaciers on the other side of the mountain – a secret even more precious than their beer.”

With that Khorall Tieg Larsen tapped his horse gently with his spurs and started down the long hill toward his town.

The ride was easy and it took a bit to discern its uniqueness. At first it was little different than approaching any other town... Highside Heather, Cragside, Brementown and even Bordertown. Like any portion of the Highland Path, they passed the large scattered rocks, those natural slowly transitioning to those more regular. Indeed, when they poked through the tall grass, they were often set in faint rectangles and their cut straighter and truer than would be expected from weatherworn stones. Every field was bordered by low walls, crafted of stones painstakingly cleared to allow crops to be planted.

Not all were gray, either.

Some were a soft honey color.

In fact, as one got closer and closer the white-washed walls of the village houses were not wattle and daub, and were not framed by heavy timbers.

Which made a modicum of sense considering the closest available source of wood.

Most homes were stone covered in stucco, most built from salvaged materials. Wood did frame the roofs and they were terra cotta tiled topped, not the hatch so common on their trip west.

Of course, a small crowd greeted the homecoming Nobles. Once they reached the edge of town, most swirled around their lords in welcome while some stood in a group just beyond familiarity, watching seriously. The Larsens greeted all with a smile, Tieg getting off his horse to speak with his wards. He did look over his shoulder to those who accompanied him. His horse was taken by a newcomer; a sturdy young lad in leather and metal armor wearing a surcoat of red and gold.

“Then this is where we part ways. Please, you are all welcome up at the keep, at your own desire.”

This got a cheer from the crowd of farmers and it was only then that the Khorall realized his words had been obviously misinterpreted into a far grander invitation than originally considered. His lady simply smiled.

“But please... just not all at once and after we have rested.”

Wolf #808100 Tue 05/05/15 13:17 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

It takes a few seconds before he realises that he is being spoken to. He turns, a small smile on his face.

"It is impressive certainly, like some gigantic living beast. Fascinating but I would guess it could have a sting in its tail too."

The initial spell is now broken as he has looked away. He would like a much closer view at some point but it could wait.

Gypsy #809688 Sun 10/05/15 04:20 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Verchovai Daxia Yurisdotter

Daxia smiled first at Lord Larsen and then turned to Kisa with an even more brilliant smile.

“I do like this guise you trying on,” she said softly. “In your endeavor to be just an ordinary person...”

She had to pause a moment to hold back a giggle. Kisa could never be ordinary, but she was making a sincere effort to be just Kisa.

“...shall we refer to you as Kisa Linnellsdotter instead of Kisa Allaine?”

There was more to this trip than simply seeing the grand beauty of the Sea of Opals and training with Morning Star at Katshka’s Da’s farm, of course. To find the remains of the ancient Port of Lys, to find evidence of the westernmost Dayalan Temple... these were things that interested her that the others would find dull. Well, Kisa wouldn’t find any of it dull, but Kisa seemed to need learning as much as she needed to breathe.

As she looked at the tree line of the Dirkwood, she wished Jankin were still with them.

Ah well... if wishes were fishes...

Goodness, she hadn’t thought of that old saying of Papa’s in... in so long she couldn’t remember.

Finally, she did chuckle at the Khorall’s inadvertent invitation for all his folk to come calling on him. And she admired the grace with which his Lady temporarily delayed the inevitable.

“Before we leave you, my lord, perhaps you could share the times of day when the tides come in and go out.” Daxia looked again at the vast sparkling field of water. “I think they would be a wonder to behold... from a safe distance, of course.”

Kel #809878 Mon 11/05/15 00:39 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Rameday, the Eleventh Day of Scholar

Longtooth, Morning Star, Khorall and Dama Larsen, Kisa Allaine, Kay Koromov and Romana

“The tides? They go out at dawn and come back sometime around lunchtime, only to go back out and in again in the same pattern at night. In fact, the tide should be turning sometime soon as the sun is almost to Her highest.”

Khorall Larsen returned to his horse.

“Oh, it is quite safe on the piers...

“...unless, of course, you fall in. I do not recommend that.”

The departure of the Larsens left the small troop on its own, at the very edge of the stone-built town. Now there were gardens, here and there, at least among the first rank of houses. But they were very structured – places where squares of stone were missing and had been filled with topsoil. Some spaces were obviously accidental and due to scavenging or time, but some were wrapped with stone walls as if they were truly meant to be.

Most grew vegetables, including two long ones flanking the approach to the less-than-grand cathedral. This one was tended by a very old man, who seemed to be holding an ongoing conversation with his crop.

“How about just...”

The other redhead considered her options for a long, long moment.

“...just Kisa. I don’t want folks to think I am hiding anything, but there should be no need to draw any more attention. A smart traveler might be able to make the connection with my Mother, but unless they were at court I might just be another kitten.

“Though Khorall Larsen is right. Your initiate looks like she is about to take a bite out of her spear.”

And, of course, Romana had a question, a question, amazingly, all bundled up in one word.

“Muffles?”

Wolf #811537 Sat 16/05/15 23:28 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Daxia chuckled. “I will heed your recommendation most diligently, Lord Larsen! I have heard of small children being carried off by the very tiny tides of Sapphire Lake. I fear my imagination is too vivid to risk falling into your great Bay.”

She smiled as the Khorall and his Lady made their way toward their Keep. Daxia enjoyed the look of Talesan’s Village. It was the lack of walls around it, perhaps, that gave her a sense of familiarity.

“Then simply a traveling kitten you shall be, Mistress Kisa. Yes, Kay does look hungry... but I think Kay always looks hungry.” She shrugged. “But I think my own stomach will win out today over the wonder of watching the tides come in. There will always be tomorrow, and who knows how many other tomorrows to see such things?”

Then she laughed at Romana’s question.

“Perhaps they will have muffles left from breakfast. If not, I’m sure the lunch offerings at the Amber Inn will fit with their fine reputation.

“And then, I don’t doubt, you shall have muffles tomorrow!”

As they rode up to the Inn, Daxia — like Kisa, of course — was watching and observing. It was hard to decide what might be the most interesting thing about this little town of Dean’s. The grand Cathedral certainly was grand. The people were friendly. The sea gave the air a different tang to it that was as unique as the smell of winter snow in the Black Mountains.

First, they should inquire about rooms... and then they should eat. Or perhaps those most likely to eat their spears should begin their meals while others more suited to the task obtain rooms.

“Kadri, would you and your...” Daxia glanced at Mikal with a grin. “...guardsman care to take the lead in this endeavor? With our Imperial spearbearer, our Noble kitten, and our Princess of foreign lands all traveling incognito, you appear to be of the highest rank...

“...after my sister and Dean, of course. Hmm, and even our foreign Princess when she is traveling incognito.”

She looked back at the three of them — well, four really, as Kay was not far from Romana — and smiled to herself. Bekkah was happiest when serving her Lady... anything else could be left to others to decide. Dean was...

Well, as Romana would say, Deans is Deans is Deans... and Deans is too short a name!

Romana, too, seemed happy... though it would be hard to say if it was the prospect of lunch, seeing new sights, or simply also being happy in the service of Attera.

“I suspect it would be most appropriate for them to seek shelter at the Cathedral, although you know how that will go. Bekkah follows her sister and her Initiate goes where she goes... Dean follows Bekkah, Kay follows Romana...”

She looked again at Kadri and Mikal. “Perhaps we can convince Dean to follow Mikal if his Knight will allow such a thing.”

Kel #811568 Sun 17/05/15 11:40 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

It appears they are moving on to the inn. He tears his eyes away from the sea and back amongst his friends. Food will certainly be welcome. The air here seems to perk the appetite.

"So now that we are here, what's the plan?"

Gypsy #811571 Sun 17/05/15 11:58 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"I like being able to see to the horizon. It feels more free somehow."

She spreads her hands out.

"I indeed would not presume to attempt to convince your sister to go any place she did not wish to, as that would be futile. As for Dean ... As for Dean, I do not suppose it possible to convince him that she is safe enough in the cathedral?"

"I am somewhat familiar with the operations of an inn, having lived in one for a time - presuming they are not much different ..."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Daxia looked at Cesare and shrugged.

“I think we may have differing interests, so there’s no real grand plan beyond securing a place to stay and getting lunch.” She smiled. “I know Mikal and I are very interested in visiting Kirill Mikaelsson and training further with him. I’d like to see Dean get the same training.” She glanced at her Initiate with a grin and a glint in her eyes. “I’m not sure Kay is ready for such training, but Fern certainly needs it.”

Looking back at Cesare and Darian, she continued. “There are places spoken of in old stories that might exist along the coast here. That is something I suspect would not interest most of you, but for a Dayalan...” She shrugged again. “Perhaps you both will find more of your own people here.” She sighed. “Dazi hope Darian find Hunter not be crazy to Darian.”

She nodded toward Kadri and Mikal. “Our friends are planning and plotting and I doubt I can be of much assistance at the moment in their endeavor.” Smiling in Bekkah’s direction, she said, “No doubt Bekkah and Dean and Romana — and therefore Kay — will be expected to present themselves at the Cathedral. I know I would find myself the object of stares and glares if I failed to go to the Temple once we return to Dawnview.”

Then she grinned at Kadri. “When it comes to Bekkah, I’m not sure Dean can be convinced of much.” She paused and tilted her head. “However, he did leave her to her own devices in Talantal... where she fomented a revolution. Of a sort. Fortunately, I think Talesan’s Village is safe from that sort of thing.

“I like it here. Maybe it isn’t exactly being able to see the horizon that makes it feel freer. I think it’s just... Well, I suppose it’s simply not seeing walls around the town.”

She dismounted, draped the reins across her saddle and ran her hand along Morning Star’s neck.

“Yes, Your Magnificence... I’ll see if we can get you a bushel of apples.” She chuckled. “For the rest of us, I think bread and stew might be more substantial.”

She waited for the rest of the party to enter the Inn, and held Kisa’s hand for a moment before smiling at her. “Come, Mistress Kisa... let us keep my Initiate from poking anyone with her spear.”

Kel #811615 Sun 17/05/15 21:15 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He nods slowly.

"Yes we have different interests but yet we find enough in common to have stayed together for some time now."

He looks around.

"It seems a nice enough place."

Gypsy #811633 Sun 17/05/15 23:14 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village

“Of course I am, I’m a growin’ lass!”

She then looked at her mentor, her mentor’s lady, even Kadri and Bekkah and then her own protectee and then down at her surcoat, realized what she had just said and then grumbled.

“Anyone says a word and they’ll get poked. Anyone.”

She cast a quick look to Romana.

“Giggling counts!”

Romana immediately covered her mouth with her hand.

Luckily, for all involved, their destination was not too far away and an easy distraction from the immediate conversation. Indeed, it took longer to talk about it to actually reach the tavern. They walked their horses past a small square – some carts were set here, covered in tarps waiting for market day. It appeared to be a little cousin of a larger square just beyond the next line of houses.

The next building they past was a livery, a large open barn with a scattering of horses. A young man was hauling sacks of what probably was grain down the central aisle. There were plenty of empty stalls as well as others with horses bearing horsemarks.

Then a house, probably where the young man lived with his folks.

Then, then was the inn. It was a small stone building framed by heavy timber with a clay tile roof. Above the front door was a small wooden shield; painted on it was a simple sigil – a mug of beer. Indeed the smell of rich hops and barley drifted on the sea breeze – at least in this place stealing away the once ever-present scent of salt. The brewery itself appeared to be the small building next to the inn. The door was open to the lunch bustle inside; one would suspect other travelers as the farmer folk would be out in their fields and the fisher folk in the bay and beyond.

A look inside the inn would reveal a comfortable-looking commons. The walls are lined with polished wood boards and a long, fine wood bar runs all along the left side of the room with large kegs racked up on the outside wall. There are tables set up around the room, only a third of which are taken with a scattering of lunch patrons. The far wall is a large hearth, with several large black iron pots all with something slowly stewing in them.

And a bolt of blonde lightning.

“Dean! Dean! Dean! Dean!”

It was a little girl – perhaps four or five – dressed in a blue over tunic and what was trying to be a white under tunic, with a big red ribbon bowed around her waist as a belt. She immediately rushed out to snare the Squire by the leg, to hug it and then to dance around him in bright skipping circles.

“Dean! Dean! Dean! Dean!

“Can we play horsie? I bet I can find you when we hide and go seek because you are so big! Did you bring me daisies? Buttercups? Taffy? We allllll missed you, Sir Kevin isn’t half as fun being up on the roofs and carrying groceries and Squire Erik is always so serious and wanting to teach us book learning and numbers and letters. Pppppplllbbbbbbt to that! Lift me up so I can see the whole world! I bet you can’t catch me if you were... uhm... it! Why do we call that person ‘it’ anyhows?”

Obviously, being a follower of Lord Rames the Protector in this village didn’t mean quite the same thing as in the Grand Duchy of Talantal.

“Whoooooooa!

“You got friends!

“They look weird!”

Wolf #811648 Mon 18/05/15 01:55 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She looks at Dean, looks at the girl then grins widely.

Kids. She liked kids.

"Little Miss. If I look weird it s because well - I am. "

She winks.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Mon 18/05/15 01:57 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Dazi didn’t say a word to Kay, and not because she was concerned about being poked by her Initiate. Instead, she gave Kay a sympathetic smile. She had been teased more often than she had liked at that age. It was an awkward age for a young woman who grew up in the Temple, and it was just as awkward for a young woman who had grown up on a farm and survived a war.

Before any of then had the chance to enter the Inn, Daxia saw the small bundle of energy streak toward Dean and attach itself to him. Her smile grew wider and wider as the small person talked and talked and talked at the Squire.

Finally, she burst out laughing at the little girl’s pronouncement.

“Well, I can see why you’re so quiet, Squire Dean. You never learned to get a word in edgewise. You and I must practice.” She paused a beat. “No, that won’t help.”

Then she looked at her other companions... from Kisa to Bekkah and her small entourage, to Kadri and Mikal, and finally to Cesare and Darian and Longtooth. Dazi looked at the sword at her hip and then at the girl.

“Oh, most untrue, young miss! Only most of us look a bit weird! Lady Bekkah never learned how, you know.”

Daxia gave her sister a dazzling smile before looking at the youngster again.

“Might we know your name? I would like to meet all of Dean’s friends because he has been such a helpful person to all of us, and he’s thoughtful and kind and well, yes, I suppose Squires should be all that. But he’s also sometimes silly, and I think I like that best of all about him. And would you know where I can get some apples for my Unicorn? He likes them more than anything, and people who give him apples usually get to be his friend. Sometimes it takes only a heartbeat and sometimes it takes months. He likes Dean, you know.”

She caught Kisa’s look — the one where she was trying not to look surprised — and smiled. “This is how I competed with Lord Dominic in our battle of words.”

Last edited by Kel; Sun 24/05/15 19:10 UTC. Reason: The GM's reality is the only reality unless we can agree on a reality of our own, which will never happen.
Kel #811666 Mon 18/05/15 11:12 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

The youngster prancing around the Squire brought a smile to his lips. He would have thought that Dean might be uncomfortable with such attention as he does seem formal much of the time, however he guesses he should be used to it from being here before. Interesting to see if he reverts back.

Gypsy #811718 Mon 18/05/15 16:26 UTC
Bekkah

She smiled as the little blond girl came running over to greet Dean. It was something she didn't expect. He'd always been so serious with her. She hadn't expected to hear that he had a fun side. He certainly hid that from her.

She showed no reaction to the weird comment. They were clearly a very unusual group so no insult was taken. She stood silently watching the child as much as she watched Dean's reaction.

Nivek #813066 Sun 24/05/15 22:31 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village

Longtooth, Morning Star, Kisa Allaine, Kay Koromov and Romana

“Oh! She’s funny, Dean!”

The little one had paused in her circular swirling, having snared the belled sleeve of Dean’s tunic, looking to Kadri.

“And she’s got a pretty horsey, too! All light an’ little and cute like she is! Not like the big one Sir Kevin rides! Twls says he eats people, but that’s not true! Kat told me that’s nonsense because horse teeth are all flat for grass, they don’t have fangs or sharp teeth for eating meat and such.

“When did you get funny friends, Dean? You are always so, so seriousisiness!”

But then she took a step back, a step back and a look upward and upward and upward and...

“Are you a friend of Missus Gwynn? And Master Smith? Are you going to kiss Master Smith too? Missus Gwynn will probably get all mad at you, not that you could tell, since she’s quieter than a church mouse, and believe me we gots church mice here, Father Canna doesn’t let the cats hunt them, seein’ that mice need a place to live too!

“Is Fa going to grumble about you too, drinking only tea?

“Of course he does. EVERYONE likes Dean, even the fishy folk! Is Mister Black your friend? He likes apples? We got lotsa apples, nice Khorall Larsen has all sorts of orchards surrounding his marble-ly home! Does he deserve apples? He sure looks snooty!”

The little girl then freed herself of her hold on Dean and after a pair of bright hops suddenly wrapped her arms around Morning Star’s left foreleg, as tight as she could.

“Mat says hugs can cure everythings, even snootiness!”

The black unicorn had tried to take a step back and having failed was suddenly caught and hugged. He looked down with wide eyes, obviously in total shock and confusion, his proud bearing shattered... well... magnificently.

It’s very hard to look haughty when you are being hugged by a little whirlwind.

“Oh! Me! I’m Dyddplentyn!

“And... and... and...”

The little blonde hopped back away from the still unbelieving unicorn, to stand in front of the door to the tavern.

“And welcome to the Amber Inn!”

She turned around, hopped and cupped her hands on either side of her mouth.

MAT!

“We got folks! We got Dean an’ a weird little girl and one of Missus Gwynn’s friends whose unicorn looks like he’s gonna fall right over, and... and... and... and...

She turned around.

“...a grumpy lookin’ caravan guard kind of guy, even more serious than Dean...”

“...a Lady of her Attera-ness, who isn’t older than sea and the stars...”

“...we gots a lady Hunter, I knows that because she’s got a big ol’ ruff of a thousand colors. An’ a boy who probably likes her... cause he’s one of those boys you tell Twls to be stayin’ away from come mid-festivals and she doesn’t lissen...”

From inside came sudden shout.

MOTHER!

“Well, it’s TRUE!

Dyddplentyn continued on.

“...a real pretty girl with red hair who is tryin’ not to giggle...”

“...a real scary girl...”

Which must then be Kay, by the process of elimination since, in all her initiate’s tunics, Romana couldn’t look fierce at all.

“...and... and... and... a real pretty girl all in the Lady’s whites, but... but here’s something really strange about her. Why is she looking at me with eyes all teary? She’s... she’s a really, really strange girl.”

From inside answered an older, softer and very kind voice and one obviously very used to translating Dydd-speak.

“That’s fine, dear. They are all welcome inside.

“Come inside, please.”

“Even the last lassie.

“Strangers are just friends you ain’t been introduced to yet.”

Last edited by Wolf; Mon 25/05/15 00:09 UTC.
Wolf #813084 Mon 25/05/15 00:08 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Then perhaps it is time for introductions. I am named Kadri. My pretty horse is named Lisica. The lady with the Unicorn is named Daxia, and the Unicorn is Morning Star. The two in Atteran white are Daxia's sister Bekkah and Romana a new initiate to Attera. The Lady with the ruff is Darian, the Ruff is Longtooth and the nearby man is Cesare. The 'grumpy man' is my friend Mikal. The 'scary one' is known as Kay."

Quite intentionally, she left all titles out of the equation.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He grins at the little girl's descriptions, even the one of him. She in canny even for one of her few years, that's for sure. He is happy to accept the welcome and heads in with the others to secure a room for Darian and himself.

Not sure what Darian intends to do before supper, he wants a much closer look at that vast water, maybe a visit to the docks in the first place. He'll invite Darian and Longtooth along.

Gypsy #813201 Mon 25/05/15 17:46 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Not having a chance to respond to the child until she was momentarily quiet while hugging Morning Star’s leg, the Dayalan was then stunned into further silence. She stared at the unicorn — who stared back for a moment before looking elsewhere, likely in embarrassment — through the entire catalog of companions Kadri outlined.

“Forgot pretty giggling girl, Kisa,” she said absently before she was finally able to tear her gaze away from her Companion. She blinked several times, then looked at Kisa... She was, indeed, trying not to giggle.

“You know, in different circumstances, that might have been me. If Ma and Pa had owned an Inn. And if they hadn’t died.” She paused a heartbeat, then chuckled. “Oh, get the giggles out, Kisa. You’ll hurt yourself keeping that many inside you.”

Then she turned to young Dyddplentyn.

“To answer your questions, Miss Dyddplentyn, I suppose I would be considered a friend of Missus Gwynn, but I don’t know Master Smith and would never even think about kissing him. Ever. So, Missus Gwynn would have no cause to be mad at me. About that. And your Father Canna sounds like a very wise and kind man.

“Your Fa won’t need to grumble about me drinking only tea, and I hope he won’t need to grumble about me drinking mostly cider. Although another friend of Missus Gwynn told me I need to drink some of your Fa’s beer, so I’ll do that, too. A bit of it, anyway.”

Daxia paused to look again at Morning Star before giving her attention back to the child. “Morning Star is my friend, yes. He likes apples very much. Sometimes he is snooty, but I think he deserves apples anyway. Besides, you seem to have hugged the snooty out of him. At least for a little while.”

She looked around the group, and then nodded again to the child.

“Thank you for the welcome, Miss Dyddplentyn. We’ve been riding all morning and I think we would all enjoy a good lunch.”

She stepped to Morning Star’s side while the others entered the Inn and combed through his mane with her fingers.

“Ah, the indignity of it all. Called out on your arrogance and hugged violently by a child! If it’s any consolation, you’ll survive. However, I dare not venture to guess what your brothers will be saying behind your back should the child mention the incident to Poppy... who would, I suspect, relay the tale to Thunder Hooves. No matter! You are the Magnificent Font of All Knowledge — all knowledge that you wish to share, at any rate — and I shall defend you to my dying breath.

“And find you some apples, yes.”

Dazi smiled as she patted his neck, then turned to find Kisa waiting for her. Her smile grew.

“And what is your wish, my friend, for activities this day? I will confer with Mikal about going out to Mikaelsson’s Farm, but I think we could spend the rest of the day in the village. I think I detected a hint of avarice in your eyes when Lord Larsen spoke of the Inn’s baths. Or would you like to simply walk the streets and see the people? Visit the Cathedral? See the piers?”

Daxia chuckled. “It does sound like more than an afternoon’s adventure, doesn’t it? Well, it is your choice... I am likely to come this way again someday. You are not.”

As much as Kisa wanted to be simply an ordinary person, at least while visiting Talesan’s Village, the truth was a hard reality. She would return home to Dawnview Vale and, if she was right, take up her Mother’s mantle and become Khorall. She would attend Midsummers Councils, true. But this would likely be the only time she would ever come here to the Larsen’s holdings. Daxia’s responsibilities would likely send her all across the Tarn. It seemed that the Cathedral would stand for a great many years, despite the fallen tower. The piers would always be there, too. Carved from stone! Why, it would take ages to wear them down!

She twined her fingers in Kisa’s and bumped her shoulder against her friend’s. “An ordinary kitten would eat lunch first, however.”

Kel #813417 Tue 26/05/15 20:57 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He is still musing on the somewhat unsatisfactory conversation he'd had a few days ago with Daxia regarding the makeup of the new Troop. He'd agreed to leave it be, once Daxia assured him she was fairly confident she would be able to fill out the mounted archer contingent of the unit with Dayalan.

Reaching the Inn, he smiles at the exuberance of the young children, both towards Dean and Morningstar. He glances at Daxia. "Never seen him so...., speechless before", he smiles.

Dismounting he helps the stable hand get Talia settled and then heads off to find that hot bath he'd heard was available.

Zeim #814055 Sat 30/05/15 11:36 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village

Morning Star looked back to his partner, and the expression was quite legible, in fact to all. It was a silent...

...help?

Though the next person to comment was one even more unexpected, occurring after Daxia explained her position concerning relationships and friendliness to the village blacksmith.

“You better not!”

Kisa immediately covered her mouth with both hands and turned the same color as her hair. It must have been the giggles that had set her momentarily off balance. Eventually, she was able to restore her countenance to its normal shade and reply to her guardian.

“A bit of food would serve us both well, I think. And no, not avarice, simply patience and book learning. Supposedly the salt in the sea spray is hard on one’s hair so a bath before bed would be better if we wish to take a closer look at the sea. After your discussions and a bit of lunch, of course.”

The young heiress might be able to hide her nobility for a bit; hiding her scholarly nature, however, would probably be much harder. She leaned against her dearest friend, let her hand be taken and then, with the others, meandered after the rest into the tavern. Their mounts - including the pretty one and the haughty one - taken, or offered, in a unicorn's case, to more appropriate hospitality along with a promise of apples and a most perplexing choice. Green, red or golden?

They were lead inside by the young girl, who dragged Dean in her wake – and would, it seemed, be certainly content to drag him about all the day.

“Mat! Here’s Dean and... and...and Kadri and Daxia and the Kind Ones are Bekkah and Romana, and see, she really is strange but pretty, maybe she got scared when she was a kid and that’s why her hair is all white and Darian and Ce-ce-cesare and Mikal, just like the horsey man, and Kay and a Kisa and... and that’s Longtooth. He’s a snarkhound, right? He’s even bigger’n Nitestalker, isn’t he!”

From behind the bar, a woman about Bekkah’s age set down a pair of beer filled goblets and looked to her new patrons.

"Well met..."

The Innmistress looked down at her daughter, who was swinging back and forth at the end of Dean’s sleeve.

"That's a whole lot of names ye remember’d, now if’n ye can remember orders at well, ye can be helpin’ thine older sister right proper and soon."

The little girl nodded once, sure and bright, before her mother returned her attention to her newest patrons.

"Well ye've met Dydd... and the lass over there serving lunch is Twls, she's my oldest and she'll be finding you rooms if'n you be needin' them. Me, you can call me Ari; that’s short for Ariana... me husband Bran is out back tending the beer. Men and their beer, ye'd be thinkin' he be a housewife with his tending the kettles and the hops."

One could easily tell the three lasses in the tavern were related; both Twls and Dyddplentyn shared their mother's hair and eyes though Twls was much older. Tunics and overtunics were the dress of the day. Ari's simple sepia and white while green and white bedecked Twls, although Twls sported pretty carved bangles at her wrists and a nice silver pendant about her neck.

"So sit, be comfortable, we got stew in the hearth, bread and cheese in the kitchen, and Jack brought in a hart so we can add some venison to thine meal too.

"If'n ye be travelin' hard, see the arch there? It leads down to the baths; now we can't fit all of ye at once so it's first come, first served and this is a good Imperial House so there'll be no improprieties. There's a board ye can be flippin' to say just what manner of folks be usin' it at the time."

The archway sprung from the side of the hearth; it was carved from stone, a soft yellowish marble, and was the portal for stairs spiraling down. The hearth too looked as if it were built from the same stones, but in a more scavenged and jury-rigged manner.

"Rooms can be found through the door yonder. We got both small and one large one left; on the side closest to here. The rooms on the far hall have been claimed by these blokes from Sherman's Keep. Now if'n ye choose to rest, dinner will be served just before Herself touches the sea, and it gets quite crowded. Sometimes we'll get a Kirillsson down here to sing a bit - the laddie, of course. The lassie cannae carry a tune to save her life.

"So, what can me and Twls be gettin' thee all?"

Some already had destinations in mind. Longtooth chose a warm spot in front of the hearth to rest; a place where he could watch all the common rooms comings and goings. As for the baths, there may be some competition for their use. Kay looked fiercely at her ward and pointed to the archway, to which Romana just blinked, considered and hopped forward.

Kay just shook her head.

"Not stupid. It's new. Princess here will be thinking about it all the rest of the day and so we might as well be gettin' it over with!"

This left a curious Kisa to claim the first table, setting what served as her pack next to a chair before sitting down herself. She looked to her guardian, raised a brow and grinned.

"Do you have a herding instinct too? Or is it just the young ones?"

The younger Dayalan initiate simply grumbled, "I heard that!"

Kisa continued to smile,

"So, Dazshka... we have made it to the edge of the world.

"In time for lunch. And afterward... where shall we walk?"

Wolf #814069 Sat 30/05/15 15:51 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
CESARE

He arranges a small room for himself and Darian to share, then moves to join her and Longworth at the table so they can have lunch. He orders an ale, whatever Darian wants and a bowl of water for Longworth. Traveling is thirsty work.

Wolf #814070 Sat 30/05/15 15:51 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Dazi chuckled at Mikal’s comment. “It is hard to believe he can be even less quiet than he usually is, ya? At least he seems not to mind having a child attached to him. Much less stress-inducing than my sister.”

She just looked at Morning Star and shrugged.

New experiences are good for you. Just consider it knowledge to add to your font!

At Kisa’s exclamation, she grinned at her friend. It’s possible that her face flushed slightly, too, but she recovered more quickly than the Heir.

“I will trust your book learning, my friend. I cannot imagine sea spray could be any worse than blood, demon goo, or Eastern Hunting Beast innards, but I’m more than willing to trust your judgment on the matter.”

She watched the young one as she introduced their little gang. While her mother was impressed by the fact that young Dydd remembered everyone’s name, Dazi was fascinated that she had such insight about Romana. She nodded — more to herself than anything else — as Ari explained the whole workings of the Inn. They would probably take rooms for the night, but they could work that out as they ate, she supposed.

She did chuckle at the comments about Kirill Mikalesson’s offspring. “Ah, well, if the lass is Miss Katshka, I suppose she makes up for her inability to carry a tune with her exceptional ability to carry messages.” Dazi added softly, as an aside to Kisa, “Not her fault message sender likes confused DaziDazis.” She almost giggled again at that...

And at her Initiate and her charge.

Sitting beside Kisa she sighed. And then she shook her head.

“I don’t think of it as a herding instinct, really. It’s more of a keep Kisa from falling down stairs or into ravines when she is thinking deep thoughts instinct. Tcha! I didn’t even know you very well when I was that young. I think I was just getting to the Not Being Thumped By Kassia Every Single Day stage of watching... well, you know.” Her, Court, but yes... mostly her.

When Twls came by, she requested a bowl of stew, some bread and a mug of cider. She waited for Kisa to order before continuing.

“We could walk in the general direction of the docks. Piers carved from stone! Imagine that! And there are new people to see and meet.” Her eyes sparkled at the very thought. “Seeing new things... well, I guess I might be a little bit like Romana in that regard. And learning new things, too! Oooh, I wonder if Dean’s Father Canna has a library. Maybe he’d let us peek at it. No invasions this time.” She paused and considered the Cathedral for a moment. “Perhaps that might be an adventure for tomorrow. I suspect the Cathedral would be very, very interesting.”

She leaned closer to Kisa and whispered, “And you’re very silly, you know. I never had a thought about kissing anyone before leaving home. And since then? Well, there just isn’t anyone else in the world except that pretty redhead I met in Snowgate Pass.”

Kel #815248 Fri 05/06/15 17:00 UTC
Bekkah

She enjoyed every new village she entered and this one was no different. It was such a blessing to be welcomed with open arms wherever she went. For her part, she loved meeting new people, especially when they needed her Lady's help.

She gave Ari a smile.

"I'd love some of the stew and some bread, along with a goblet of wine. Also, would there be one of my Lady's priestesses in town?" she asked intending to pay a visit if she had time.

Nivek #815597 Sun 07/06/15 19:37 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village

It did not take long for a warm lunch to be served, although it was a bit more interesting than usual. Instead of the clatter of wooden bowls, there was the sawing zig zag of a big knife cutting a large round loaf of fresh bread in half. The center was scooped out and the stew ladled inside that hollow.

Not that there weren’t wooden bowls. At Cesare’s request, the elder barmaid brought one filled with water for Longtooth, that and what looked to be a hefty hart bone to gnaw. Now this was unique; at least this portion of the town seemed to recognize both snarkhounds and their manners.

A bit odd, since the tavern was in the shadow of an Imperial Cathedral.

“I do not fall down stairs or into ravines.”

Kisa crossed her arms, trying to look dignified, which she could very well do; it was a requirement of the game of Court. After a moment, however, her nose twitched.

“Well...

“Not anymore.”

The stew was good; warm and filling. They had had much worse on their road here, and aye, sometimes they had had better. But then, that was not what this tavern was known for. Those that had chosen the local brew for their repast found that it was a reputation well warranted. Rich and full but not overpowering, it had a good head and it went down smooth and easy. Just its taste brought forth a hint of sea and shore, of horizons that stretched forever and ever and yet also echoed of a warm and safe hearth.

Almost magical.

It was a good beer.

Kay and Romana were already gone by the time the others had finished their meal. The comfort of a homey meal was both relaxing and entrancing after their long ride. The smile of the innkeeper’s wife and the number of times Twls had refilled their drinks betrayed a passage of time much longer than was probably expected.

“Well, of course, we do,” Ari replied to Bekkah as she offered to top off her goblet.

On one hand, wine here was expensive. It was shipped in from Talantal, after all. There were many small casks of juice – obviously from the Larsen orchards – but no one, no one of sound mind ever charged a Lady of Attera for food and drink.

“That would be Lady Artemesia, and of course she should be findable at the Cathedral. Now I must be clear, that is not will but should. She spends most of her mornings in this half of the village, tending to us farmer folk. Come just before sunset she’s usually dockside, with the fisher folk. Fishing is not the kindest of work, especially these days, so if someone is hurt, well if’n they be still alive they’ll truly be needing her touch when they tie up.”

The innmistress continued with a smile.

“Now if you do wander to our Church, don’t let Father Canna put you off. He’s a bit old and thus thinks different than we do, but he rightly cares. Brother Perrin, well, he’s the one you’ll want to set your arrangements with. And it’s an even toss of the sticks, come after dark whether folks want to hear the young minstrel or his stories. He’s always good for a chuckle.

“Knight and Squire will be found out in the town. Kevin is right powerful nice; it’s a shame he and the Lady get along like brother and sister, they’d make a right good couple. His elder Squire is a powerful serious bloke – but that’s cause he’s got the fire of youth and duty.

“His younger Squire, well, he’ll be wherever Dydd has dragged him of too.

“She learned real early that the Protector’s cannae say no to her.”

And it was already true. Dean was being led away by his young charge. Unless, of course, he spoke differently. However, he may have just been caught by someone more difficult to deal with than Lady Bekkah.

“Well, ye can be havin’ thine choice of rooms...”

Twls peeked back from beneath ragged bangs, hands folded at the small of her back as she addressed Cesare. The farmer girl bounced once on her heels and started towards a door at the back of the commons.

“They are all this away; come, ye can choose and I’ll get it all set for thee.”

As lunch finally was cleared, Ari had a tidbit for Mikal.

“It looks like thine two lassies have finished down the stairs; that or they’ve gone all silent and drowned. Though that be highly unlikely, we ain’t had a drowning in me or my mat’s or her mat’s lifetime.

“So the baths be now safe for the menfolk.”

Back at the table, Kisa took up Daxia’s offer.

“I followed you here... of course, I shall follow you to the world’s very edge.

“Dazshka?”

Kisa’s words were suddenly softly serious.

“For generations, Snowgate Pass has been an ending.”

The young woman simply smiled.

“I’m very glad it’s now a beginning.”

Wolf #815686 Mon 08/06/15 12:54 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He enjoys the food and the drink tremendously. The oddity of the stew served in a bowl made of bread he found both fascinating and economical. Nothing left to wash after, and the bread didn't need covering in butter as the stew gave it a good flavour. He tucked it away as something to bring to his Troop. Any Quartermaster worth his salt will jump up and down with glee if he is told he can save the cost and the weight of a thousand bowls not to mention less perishable butter.

When Ari mentions the baths being free, he nods in thanks. "Well, if no one minds I think I'd like to wash the trail off myself and get my clothes washed."

He gets up and heads for the baths.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Tusk
Tusk
Warboys, Huntingdon
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,850
Posts141,168
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy