Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Barry Mulvihill), 59 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Don Offline OP
OP Offline
So. Who made it all the way through to the Season finale? And what did you think?

spoiler alert
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

spoiler alert
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

Spoiler Alert
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
SPOILER ALERT

Being a big Arthurian fan the Dulaque/du Lac revelation wasn't so much of a surprise. We did start with episodes titled And the Crown of King Arthur and And the Sword in the Stone.

I do admit to being a little disappointed in Jenkins reveal, however. It didn't seem like they used it in any way and there was no foreshadowing, other than the fact that Jenkins had a secret.

Overall I liked it and I don't think it was a Warehouse 13 redo.

I especially liked Bruce Campbell as Santa Claus, the Jonathan Frakes episode was good as well and I almost wouldn't mind seeing a return of Jerry O'Connell's Lancelot.

In the beginning I was worried that there wouldn't be enough Noah Wyle but I think they gave us just enough to make us feel he was part of the story without being the story.

What did you think?

I did and thought it was interesting and entertaining. I think it took a lot of liberties that I just didn't buy into, like bringing the three librarians all together to fix the weave was hokey. But I don't rate SyFi shows for any technical accuracy. They are just entertainment and I was entertained.

M
M
I guess that I am mostly in the same frame of mind as Neptune in this ... except that I was not =quite= so entertained. I won't say it was bad, but it certainly seemed to be missing ... something. For one thing the characters were a bit too 'cartoonish' for my taste. And the stories were not much better. However it =was= good enough that I =did= keep watching <g>

MikeD
Online Content
I like the fact that John Rodgers (showrunner) has admitted that he and another writer (part of his gaming group) discovered they were breaking out characters using Fate-style aspects...

The Librarians is about the most Fate-appropriate show on TV, IMO.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
It would probably be a good game. we made it through the first 3 episodes.. then we ditched. It wasn't that it was so bad just that we try to keep our TV viewing down by applying the criteria of.. 'if I couldn't record this, would I stay in to watch it?' We only record those where the answer is yes. smile

Online Confused
Nice thing about the show is that it keeps continuity. I thought the Santa Clause episode was a bit silly, even though it was great that Bruce Campbell was ol' Saint Nick, but that ep actually figured into the season finale and to me, that's a really cool thing.

Don Offline OP
OP Offline
It was cool that they brought something from every episode into the Finale. So that each episode had a reason for being other than the fact that there needed to be eight.

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
I hope that they continue it. I enjoyed the show.

Don Offline OP
OP Offline
Jill I am in much the same boat. Too much TV. But I figured it was only eight episodes. I wouldn't be watching Galavant except for the fact that they accelerated it to four nights by doubling up the episodes.

So has everyone noticed what used to be ten episode seasons has now become eight? What's next? Six?

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
For non-network shows it used to be 13, then some dropped to 10. Now 8? Kind of like how some of the British series work I guess.

Online Content
8-10 is the normal episode order before a show is "picked up" for a full season. It's what a network will pay for based on just the pilot.

Which, more recently (but recall, it happened as far back as Buffy the Vampire Slayer), the short order often becomes the whole of the first season, since it has to be completed before any episodes are shown and thus often before extension to a full season is known. Cable networks aren't as fixed to the 20-25 episode season of standard US norms, so feel comfortable taking longer to decide if they want more episodes.

As far back as 24's first season (which had a hard end to the plot, aggressively reset at the start of eps 9), we had a full story arc in eps 1-8, just in case the show didn't get picked up. This season, we saw that with Constantine.

John Rogers has been pretty upbeat in his blog posts about The Librarians getting picked up for a 2nd (probably longer) season based on the reception of the episodes so far.

I think most of the noticeability of this is driven by arc-heavy TV writing. We used to get mostly stand-alone episodes and didn't have reason to know that there was a pilot, a trial order of 7-11 more eps then the rest of season one, written and produced months apart. Now, since they write to an arc and try to have an ending, if an incomplete one, wherever the series ends, we get these self-contained half-seasons.

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Don, I disagree, I think there was quite a bit of foreshadowing for Jenkins. His and Du Lac's speech, his issues with Morgan. It was obvious he had been alive for centuries, and had tried and tried to do the right thing, but gave up because good never truly won.

And I don't mind the 10 episode season since both the opening night and season finale night showed 2 episodes back to back. Only 8 weeks, and it was a fun mini-ride.

On that subject.. LOVED the series.

No it was not great cinema. Yes it was cheesy. But I just liked the fun interactions. No dark drama, no serious issue.. it was cotton candy for my brain, and sometimes my brain likes spun sugar grin

I could do without the female librarian though. I just could not really grow attached to her.

Jinkies!
Mina, I liked her! She's more flawed than the other two because of the trust issue. And she was the coolest of the librarians (IMO) in the finale.

M
M
To be honest, I would much rather see 8 (10 hours) interesting episodes than to have twice as many boring / poor episodes.

And I think that all three of the young librarians are interesting and unique. Jones is my least favorite so far. But I am hoping that the 'plan' is to have him 'grow up' as the show progresses. I just hope they don't take too long.

MikeD
Don Offline OP
OP Offline
Mina:> I knew he was that old and that he had a secret. But I find it hard to believe that Galahad, of all people, would ever give up doing the right thing. Ever. Isn't that the whole point of Galahad. He is only one who didn't give up or go wrong.

M
M
forever is a long time Don <wink>

MikeD
Don Offline OP
OP Offline
Mike:> If one wanted to get picky Galahad ascends into heaven at the end of the Grail Quest. So he wouldn't be around to grow disillusioned. Bors would have been a better choice. He had the one flaw that keep him from actually achieving the Grail. He got to the holy city but fell just short of the Grail.

Last edited by Don; Wed 21/01/15 00:42 UTC.
M
M
Naw, he went to the library instead. The 'ascension' was just the cover story <weg>

MikeD
Administrator
Administrator
One other motivating factor behind short series appears to be the increasing lengths of mid-season breaks for existing series, perhaps due to needing more time to get a bunch of episodes in the can. On ABC, this meant that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is leaving Tuesday at 9PM Eastern vacant from mid-December through the end of February, and Once Upon a Time is doing the same for Sunday at 8PM.

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Neptune smile I have two friends who adore Cassandra. Me, out of the new group I have a fondness for Ezekiel Jones which they cannot possibly fathom.

I do hope we get a season 2.

Argus.. yeah the mid season breaks are allowing a lot of smaller episode shows to bloom. With Once Upon A Time gone, at least we have Galavant. Yes.. I like that show too. Okay, the main actor is a total hottie. And the songs crack me up!

Jinkies!
Online Content
Midseason breaks always existed thru most of the taped TV period, as a way to give the actors some time off (and because it takes 8+ days to make most episodes esp. with location filming, so you can't film continuously and deliver weekly eps). Older tricks were more interesting, such as writing a character out for 3 weeks in a run so that actor can have a break (happened a lot during the constant filming of the 1st Doctor's era... whole stories exist with a single character off-screen. A couple times, that's even the Doctor!).

These breaks used to be filled with reruns.

The lack of pressure to re-run so people can see all the eps (since they can be monitized via streaming or DVDs better than they can by being rerun) creates these new gaps for shorter series, which have always been something *writers* wanted (because they're easier to create and keep tight, not exhausting their potential in endless grind and repetition) and producers liked (because you can get a better cast for a more limited time commitment) but networks didn't have a place for.

A good thing, IMO.

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
It has been eight years since the finale of season 1 of the Librarians happened. We had three more seasons after this, and recently they announced that the show might be rebooted with new characters.

Since the finale of season 1 all those years ago...

I have rewatched this show several times. I just finished another rewatch of season 1, and about to start season 2 again.

Does anyone else remember this show fondly, and now that so much time has passed, what are your thoughts on it? I admit mine have changed. I reread this thread, and cannot believe that once upon a time I did not like Cassandra! She's become one of my favorite characters.

Anyone else still a fan of the Librarian(s) fanchise?

Jinkies!
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Oh yeah, I liked that show. I don't know if I saw all of the seasons but I know I saw at least several of them.

I remember it fondly as well. It was a fun show.

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Yay! People who remember this show!

I admit it, I geeked out on this show HARD. I bought the board game. Yes, there is one. Yes it is interesting. Yes, I could have used my money for better things... but did I mention I geeked out on this show?

Jinkies!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Neptune
Neptune
New City,NY,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,813
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy