Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (AquaDyne, Phoenix Prime), 39 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#759623 Mon 08/12/14 20:08 UTC
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK ... I was one of the first to say that Sharknado was one of the worst movies ever. I take it back. Sharknado 2 just showed up on netflix and I am here to tell you that I think it would have been more 'acceptable' as annime than a movie. And to make matters worse, I see that Sharknado 3 is slated to show up next year <sigh>

Of course, I =did= have to watch the =whole= thing <wink>

MikeD
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
Don't forget Zombeaver... having just seen the trailer, I really have to wonder what they were thinking.

#759637 Mon 08/12/14 20:51 UTC
I'm many years behind on watching the good stuff, how do you guys manage to watch crap?

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
Would you believe it's part of my job?

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
The reason they made Sharknado 2 and 3 is exactly because people watched Sharknado 1!!

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
People had parties to watch 2 - with shark cupcakes and all!

#759644 Mon 08/12/14 21:01 UTC
I've watched Plan 9 From Outer Space multiple times. Even had my own VHS copy of it.

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
It's best watched with others where heckling may occur.

#759653 Mon 08/12/14 21:25 UTC
Always had to admit, Plan 9 was so bad it was funny.

#759658 Mon 08/12/14 21:35 UTC
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
ok ... lets see, Sharknado 2, how do I hate thee ... lemme count the ways ...

1.) I have never seen a single report of a shark 'jumping' out of the water to get a meal ... =EVER=

2.) the 'tornado' is picking sharks up out of the waters outside of NYC? WTF, last I heard, there are =NO= sharks in that part of the atlantic.

3.) It was great seeing Judd Hirsch doing something <g>

4.) The head of the statue of liberty is rolling down the street in manhattan ...
a.) how the eff did it 'bridge the gap' between the liberty island and manhattan ...
b.) if you saw someting rolling down the street, why would you try to outrun it ... vs moving perpendicular to the direction of travel ??? I guess there is no limit on stupid ... especially in a movie like this

5.) a 'tornado' that 'floods' manhattan?
a.) Sorry, that is =NOT= how a tornado works.
b.) Then there is the problem of the 'standing water'. the water would 'leak' into the subways and sewers.
c.) why was only part of the city under 4 feet of water? The city is pretty 'level'.

6.) 'walking' across sharks ... swimming in the water? no effin' way.

7.) the 'explosive' power of a few propane tanks is able to 'dissipate' a tornado? Never mind that his 'bombs' would never really work IRL.

8.) Ummmm ... how does water 'flood' a stairwell from the bottom up when there isn't any water that deep outside of the building?

9.) so since a few small propane tanks rigged as bombs didn't work they are gonna use freon? Hell, for one thing it is a banned substance. Other than that, if dumping a couple of tanks of freon would dissipate a tornado, why the heck aren't we terminating tornados all over the country?

10.) do I have to mention shark riding? <sigh>

11.) based on the number of sharks that seemed to be falling, there should not be any sharks left in the northern hemisphere.

I could go on, but that would only be nit picking <weg>

MikeD
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
It's raining sharks?

Wait, this isn't really true?
Another illusion shattered!
lol
[Linked Image]

#759680 Mon 08/12/14 22:53 UTC
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
There was another =bad= SF movie in which the 'mega shark' lept from the ocean and snagged a 747 from the air <shrug> I have no respect for 'their' movies any more <sigh>

MikeD
Originally Posted by MikeD
8.) Ummmm ... how does water 'flood' a stairwell from the bottom up when there isn't any water that deep outside of the building?

Uhm not to give any credence to a bad movie that I haven't watched - so I shall not comment on its quality - to answer your question its all a matter of dumping water into the stair well faster than it can drain out beneath the door undercuts, jamb and head clearances ... which, having seen sprinkler pipes become traitorous, can happen ...

It doesn't last for long, especially if the doors, which usually swing out, pop open.

And yah, they do get the occasional shark off of Coney Island. More so now, since the great white population is on the upswing - which believe it or not is actually good news. They had a spate of bad luck when one of the few predators more dangerous than they decided to go after them for sport.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Sorry, don't buy it. How does a 'tornado' drop water =and= sharks into the stairwell of a high rise?

MikeD
ah, but that wasn't the question!

tornados behaving in silly ways is a whole different thing!

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
not =tor=nados ... it's =shark=nados <weg>

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Am I missing something? Are you discussing verisimilitude about something like Sharknado? Um do I need to see if your brains are leaking out of your ears?

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
After having watched Sharknado 2 ... my brains =could= very well be leaking from my ears <wink>

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Of course there was stonenado...

Just substitute sharks for boulders rolleyes

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
We don't talk about Stonados!!

nem #760117 Wed 10/12/14 11:42 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
Watch out for mangoes; they're the really dangerous things! This is one of my favorite poems and reading this thread reminded me of it.

Problems with Hurricanes
by Victor Hernández Cruz

A campesino looked at the air
And told me:
With hurricanes it’s not the wind
or the noise or the water.
I’ll tell you he said:
it’s the mangoes, avocados
Green plantains and bananas
flying into town like projectiles.

How would your family
feel if they had to tell
The generations that you
got killed by a flying
Banana.

Death by drowning has honor
If the wind picked you up
and slammed you
Against a mountain boulder
This would not carry shame
But
to suffer a mango smashing
Your skull
or a plantain hitting your
Temple at 70 miles per hour
is the ultimate disgrace.

The campesino takes off his hat—
As a sign of respect
toward the fury of the wind
And says:
Don’t worry about the noise
Don’t worry about the water
Don’t worry about the wind—
If you are going out
beware of mangoes
And all such beautiful
sweet things.

#761767 Thu 18/12/14 20:51 UTC
T
Tim
Unregistered
Tim
Unregistered
T
All we need is a bad movie in thie vein directed by Uwe Boll....

Blubbernado?

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Watch it with a 6 year old. It's imminently more entertaining that way.

Online Away
mike...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

shark jumping out of water in pursuit of a meal

as for Sharks in north eastern atlantic waters: I grew up in New jersey- we had hammerheads around the beach waters a lot. and even had Great White scares. I have actually been in the water and saw a hammerhead swim through the shallows nearby. I distinctly remember running across the top of the water to get to the beach.

as for great whites- Jaws took place in Massachusetts and if that's not proof enough...

here's a story from the NY post:

http://nypost.com/2014/06/27/third-great-white-shark-caught-off-nyc-in-a-week/

anyway, if those two things are true, then I have to believe that sharknado is actually a documentary (wink)

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
That illustrates my point very well, thanks <g>

The shark started chasing the seal while it was still swimming =under= water. The shark did not see a seal flying above the water and then leap up to catch it. Now if you can find a video that shows a shark leaping like that to catch a pelican or the like as it is flying above the water, I will concede the point to you <weg>

MikeD
Ooze-based life form
Ooze-based life form
I get the impression that the Sci Fi channel rather relies on the silliness of some of their stuff to keep audiences happy - bring back MST3K! From memory there have been other equally daft films from this stable involving

- Giant cybernetic crocodiles
- A giant Piranha snake thing
- A shark crossed with an octopus (with the imaginative name of Sharktopus)

Watched all of them - all completely bonkers but still entertaining!

I believe the pic of the shark leaping for the helicopter diver has been debunked as fake a while ago.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Oh and don't forget all those movies where people and buildings are able to be frozen solid in seconds. They seem to really like that one. I have seen it in several of their movies <sigh>

MikeD
Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
I am waiting for Croca-Panda-Saurus the Movie! It looks like a large cuddly panda.. until it eats Tokyo.

Or, Platypusygeddon. The name says it all.

Jinkies!
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hmmmm I'd watch those ... or maybe I have already seen them! <weg>

MikeD
Originally Posted by Muddy
I get the impression that the Sci Fi channel rather relies on the silliness of some of their stuff to keep audiences happy - bring back MST3K! From memory there have been other equally daft films from this stable involving

- Giant cybernetic crocodiles
- A giant Piranha snake thing
- A shark crossed with an octopus (with the imaginative name of Sharktopus)

Watched all of them - all completely bonkers but still entertaining!

I wonder if this is simply the New Generation's version of Pulp?

* omigosh ... a serious speculation! *

神の一手
神の一手
Ann Coulter will play the Vice President in Sharknado3.

I have no words.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am trying very hard not to have any words as well <g>

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
And I'm trying not to read them. Ignorance is bliss! grin

If ignorance was bliss, Ann Coulter would be the world's biggest blister.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
lol

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OOooo new candidate for worst SF ever ... Icetastrophy <chuckle>

MikeD
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It just came to me ... the name for the movie genre embodied by movies like the above: 'Science Make Believe' <chuckle>

MikeD
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well I have just seen my new candidate for worst movie ever ... RoboShark <sigh> It must have been a direct to Netflix movie since it has a July 2015 release date. Sadly it seems like the USA network was feeling left out of SyFy's shark insanity <shrug>

MikeD
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK ... I need to add another. I just watched 'Three Headed Shark' <sigh> A new low in stupidity. Parts of it reminded me of Zombie Lake, one of the all time bad movies. Lets see ...

1.) a shark with 3 heads seem to be able to 'flatten' it's body so that it can swim in about 18 inches of water and still 'leap' into the air to 'come down' on a fellow

2.) it is apparently able to 'sink' an entire under water research facility but cannot manage to take out a small motor boat

3.) the research facility is apparently an island and ... also apparently, the 3 headed shark is able to sink islands ... well, technically it is an atol <g>

4.) at one point they are trying to save 'all the folks' on a 'tour boat' that is 4 to 5 times the size of their 'small motor boat'. After they lose several their original group, the 'institute' survivors only manage to save two out of the entire 20+ 'tourists' on the boat.

And that is just the start.

The only redeeming part of the movie is that it has <sigh> Danny Trejo. But I have to wonder if he needed the money ... or he lost a bet to get cast in the movie.

After automatic weapons fire fails to take out the beast, Danny manages to kill it with his machete <chuckle> This is the same shark that was big enough and bad enough to scuttle an under water facility. Unfortunately, Cutting off a head was not enough to kill it. Apparently it was 'playing dead' and waited for a chance to 'get' Danny. Oh, did I mention that once you cut off a head it grows two more? Can you say 'hydra-shark'? I mean WTF, it is supposed to be a Science Fiction ... not Science 'Fantacy' <sigh>

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
That does sound a 'good' candidate! lol

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Next candidate ... is it just me or do there seem to be =waaay= to many of these? <sigh>

I find it =very= disappointing that such a badly written movie could be made in 2015 <sigh>

So it is a 'thriller'/'disaster' movie. 4 underwater oil workers go down to 650' to work on an oil pipeline and bad things happen. Their 'tender' ship sinks, now what? A pretty straight forward plot ... who will survive, what will they do to survive and so on. That is where the good news ends.

Starting with the little things ...

They spend a lot of time on the 'radio' talking to ships on the surface. Radio? Underwater? Not in =this= reality. The Navy has been working with all manner of alternative methods to communicate with subs and the like.

Beacon. Where to start here ... remember we are doing this in 2015 ... but apparently
1.) you have to be withing 750' of the their 'live saving' beacon in order to pick up it's signal. But they are 650 feet down. Not much 'margin' for 'finding' then from =that= signal.

2.) they come up with the 'brilliant idea' to detach the beacon from the bell and 'float' it to the surface. Gee it has only been 50+ years since divers had figured out that the beacon needs to be on the surface, so it is 'detachable', attached to a cable and allowed to float to the surface <shrug>

3.) apparently the 'modified' beacon had to have a manual switch to activate ... so that they diver has to remove his diving glove ... in the 'heard' of jelly fish ... so that they could sting him? <sigh>

Beacon vs Radio: Apparently, in their reality, radio goes for =MILES= underwater while the life saving beacon can only go 750 feet? Was this system designed by suicidal idiots?

Tether followers vs blind hiking - This one strikes me a lot like the 'lets hide behind the curtain of chainsaws' decision. They are running out of air. They know that the ship they are tethered to sank and that ship will have spare air tanks. One guy ... the most frail guy, decides to go to the ship for air ... but fails to make it to the ship before 'expiring'. So ... random plot twist ... apparently the company that build the pipeline ... remember the pipeline? that was what they were down there to fix ... had apparently 'stashed' air tanks at various spots along the route. OK ... another note - the tether ship had been 'pulling' the bell up because there was a storm coming, right? That was when it sank. So ... lets review ... starting at a depth of 650', being pulled up ... so has to be less than 650' between the bell and the ship, right? The next guy decides to go the opposite direction for a place that is more like thousands of feet away (and dragging the 'umbilical' that connects to the bell for air and comm) ???? He deserved his pointless death when the 'tether' runs out 'feet' from the spare air ... right? <sigh>

But here's the biggie for me. The crew leader says that they cannot 'drop ballast' and float to the surface because the bell might 'explode' from the pressure. He goes on and on about this through out the whole movie. However, in the beginning of the movie, they pressurize the bell while it is still on the ship. So how is that a problem?? Here is why I think this is the 'deal breaker' for me. I can more easily accept a 'movie' ignoring 'reality', being 'stupid' or the like as long as they are consistent about it. It =is= just a movie after all ( OK .. it does still bugs me <g> ). But in this 'pressure problem', they are ignoring the reality that =THEY= established at the start of the movie <sigh>

I am reluctant to mention the title, but in the interest of possibly saving others from this drivel, 'Pressure' is the title.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
lol Good review Mike, I certainly won't be watching it!

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Then my work here is done <chuckle>

MikeD
T
Tim
Unregistered
Tim
Unregistered
T
Whatever happened to honest schlock like "Night of the Lepus" that never tried to take itself too seriously?

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Dave and Tucker ... Shawn of the Dead ... all of the Evil Dead films ... they =are= out there <wink>

MikeD
Quote:
3.) the research facility is apparently an island and ... also apparently, the 3 headed shark is able to sink islands ... well, technically it is an atol <g>

well of course everyone knows sinking a ring shaped coral reef is no trouble atoll.

<runs and hides ...>

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
<heh heh heh> you are so =very= bad wolf <g>

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
grin

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
I applaud punnery like that. smile

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK ... I admit that this was probably a 'bottomless pit' <sigh> So here is the next 'what were they thinking' ...

Kung Fury. To be fair, I might have 'bought into' this of it had been an anime. but as a 'live action' movie it just seemed ... 'stupud' <sigh>

MikeD
I think the low-quality, cheesy-to-the-max live action just reinforces what they're doing.

But of course the real reason for it all is that the creator made it with himself and friends, which is even cheaper than low-end animation.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
To be fair ... I get that these guys have a 'vision' and want to share it with all of us <g>

Unfortunately all of us are not able to 'share' the vision <wink>

MikeD
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Mike,
Have you seen Mega Shark vs Mecha Shark?

Oh the joys of having a young child in the house with a shark obsession. So glad dinosaurs and Star Wars takes higher priority.

Quote:
Have you seen Mega Shark vs Mecha Shark?

wasn't there a Godzilla movie like that ...

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yeah. That one was pretty bad too ividia <sigh> And yes, Wolf it was a pretty blatant rip of of that 'classic' <g>

MikeD
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Mike, I think what pained me more was seeing Teal'c in it and one of the DAs from Law & Order.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
<heh heh heh> Yeah. I got a similar 'vibe' watching David Tennant as the sociapathic-narcissist bad guy in Jessica Jones (which is not to say it is a bad series, BTW <g>)

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Teal'c was in Sharknado 3 too. But then everyone was trying to be in those bad movies. Heck even Lou Ferrigno was in a bit part. smile

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK ... here is a new candidate for 'what were they thinking'.

'Rubber'

The sordid tale of a tire that turned to the life of a serial killer for no apparent reason.

Honest, that is the plot. And if that was all that was going on I wouldn't have mentioned it. But I have to say that ... over all, there were some very fun ideas thrown into the movie. My only =real= complaint is that the movie was just a bit long. It is certainly worth a look if you saw the 'fun' in Sharknado 3.

Here is the trailer.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Heh, saw it a long time ago, it is just silly.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yes, in a way similar to how Monty Python is 'just silly' <g> IMHO, it isn't =quite= as 'funny' as MP, but there are some similar thought processes.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
This dovetails with the post apocalyptic vibe we have been discussing.

Bounty Killer movie

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yes, a 'fun' movie with a bit of a Mad Max sort of vibe.

MikeD
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
And just when you thought it was safe to go back to NetFlix ...

'Avalanche Sharks' shows up <sigh>

MikeD
"Candygram!"

"Mongo loves candy!"

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ohhh Nooo ... so much worse than that!!! Worse than any of the Sharknado movies!!! You would have to suffer through it to appreciate how bad it really is!!!

MikeD
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Neptune
Neptune
New City,NY,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,853
Posts141,253
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy